1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 09-06-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 182 | Reviews: 94 | Show All Ratings:
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev +8%

Two and a half years old, I am having this beer, courtesy of Steven. It slightly looks but very much tastes of a Bloody Mary. The pickled aspect has taken over, fortunately, and I am easily able to enjoy this with my wife's salad. Therefore vegetable aromas, a bit pickle, a look of cloudy orange. Average and a bit oily mouthfeel. Decent drinkability but not something I could have nightly.

07-09-2012 02:29:36 | More by Sammy
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

had a few shorts beers to round out my night and started out with this one. i was a bit nervous to say the least, but it was not as bad as i thought.

poured a dark, reddish tinted orange with a big off white head that reached a height of around three inches before settling back down and leaving some nice lacing around the edges of the glass.

the aroma is a straight up bloody mary with hints to tomato, pepper, lots of fruity notes and a dash of grassy hops. not really sure i was every going to see this in a beer, not being a fan of a bloody mary to begin with I was a touch nervous to proceed. but the flavor mirrored it exactly with a thicj tomato and spicy pepper that pricked at the tongue and left you thirsty and full at the same time.

overall this was not really one for me at all. i knew that going in but i will admit it certainly could have been alot worse.

04-26-2011 02:45:34 | More by mikesgroove
ChainGangGuy

3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: Pours a clearish, amberish body with a small, though sustained, white head.

Smell: A real treat to smell, you can easily pick out the tomatoes, horseradish, dill, and spices. Yes, yes, it's starting to remind me of...

Taste: A blend of lager beer and Bloody Mary Mix. A nice, distinct, though not overdone horseradish and pepper spiciness. Somewhat mild, lightly sweetish tomato character. A hint of sugar and rock salt. Bloody Mary through and through on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: As with the Peaches & Creme, it's quite interesting, although I may lean towards that beer in terms of drinkability. However, they set a goal to reach and delivered in terms of honest-to-goodness Bloody Mary flavor. Other specialty beers fall way short of this, so kudos to Short's in that regard.

05-05-2008 03:27:45 | More by ChainGangGuy
TMoney2591

3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

Served in a Surly shaker pint glass.

Big thanks to jefferz5000 for this bottle!

The tenth and final entry in SwillFest 2011. Thank god. It pours a hazy ruby red grapefruit juice topped by a finger of light cream foam. The nose comprises tart blood orange, gorgonzola, horseradish, garlic, red pepper, and bleu cheese dressing on some mild buffalo wings. The taste holds notes of watered-down bleu cheese dressing, horseradish, light marinara, green pepper, and garlic. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a creamy feel. Overall, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this beer. It seems to nail what it was going for, but it doesn't taste entirely that good. It's definitely an experience, though, and I'm glad to have had it.

07-03-2011 19:48:06 | More by TMoney2591
emerge077

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

Big thanks to Jay23 for grabbing this one!

Striated layers of foam, rings of sticky lace in the glass. Hazy orange with micro sediment and some visible carbonation. Unique aroma, some tomato acidity and celery salt, with an underlying beery maltiness.

Unrivaled herbal spice blend in the flavor, recognizable dill, celery salt, sort of dusty and savory, some tomato acidity again. Leafy garden greenery that is so unique in a beer. Nicely balanced with a firm dry bitterness in the finish. Elements of the whole spice rack, though i'm not getting much pepper. Light bodied and easy drinking, though it may not be for everyone. Pizza beer needs to take notes from Short's...

08-30-2009 04:17:43 | More by emerge077
drabmuh

Maryland

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Another interested beer from Short's, they have a niche it seems and they fill it nicely. This beer is suppose to taste like a bloody mary, and it gets close. Really close.

Beer is reddish orange with a thin lazy head with bad retention no lacing and mild carbonation. Looks like beer.

Smell is amazing but reminds me a cheleda a little. It smells like tomatoes and salty / spicy / peppery. Interesting, I suppose once again you nailed it on the aroma.

Beer is very spicy, medium bodied with a rough peppery midpalate and a harsh finish. I guess I don't hate it but the bloody mary thing isn't really doing it for me. The tomatoes are forward on the palate and teh finish is too dry. I don't think I'd have it again.

06-03-2011 18:55:49 | More by drabmuh
Mora2000

Thanks to StormKing47 for sending me this bottle. The beer pours a hazy orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the black pepper, celery, horseradish and dill. I don’t get too much tomato in the aroma. The aroma is very herbal overall. The flavor is similar and is very similar to a bloody mary. I get a lot of dill and other herbs, along with some tomato and horseradish. I didn’t think these flavors would work well in a beer, but this beer is unique and remarkably. good. Definitely glad I got to try this one. I don’t like bloody mary’s, but I really enjoyed this beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

05-04-2011 04:04:30 | More by Mora2000
akorsak

3.9/5  rDev +15.4%

Bottle 606 of 864 purchased at the Bellaire brewpub last summer. Shared with ksak and AnnieSak.

A: The beer has an amber golden glow until the end of the bottle, when yeast takes the ale to a much darker brown. Even before the yeast, the ale was opaque. Two plus fingers of white head came on the first pour and left islands of lace scattered around the mouth of the glass.

S: What an aroma! Ground pepper and horseradish lead the way with ripe tomatoes in pursuit. The ingredients, per the bottle, don't seem appealing but they work.

T: The zestier aspects of the ale come through first. Ground black pepper, sharp with a bit of heat, mixed with horseradish. That is where the heat really kicks up, with the root adding a fiery element. The ale's body, an unlikely blend of malts and tomatos. After a brief tomato interlude, the horseradish and pepper return. The finish has all aspects working together, a bloody mary without the excess booze.

M: The mouthfeel is very spicy, prickly even. The horseradish and pepper, they are zesty and bold, quite a treat.

D: The flavors are bold, so bold tat I was glad to have a few people to share the bottle with.

05-09-2010 00:24:25 | More by akorsak
glid02

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours a murky copper-red color with a half-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of huge amounts of tomatos with moderate amounts of peppery spices.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Slightly salt-like malt flavors with large amounts of ripe tomato flavors kick things off. Pepper-like spices come into play midway through the sip and carry through to a nondescript ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is not great. Finishing my glass wasn't the easiest thing in the world and I wouldn't want to do it again.

Overall I probably ranked this higher than most others but for a vegetable beer I can't imagine it being any better. That being said, the drinkability reflects my thoughts on how much I could have of this beer. Very interesting for curiousity's sake just know what you're getting into.

11-22-2010 02:39:25 | More by glid02
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.65/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

The beer is reminiscent of a conflagration trapped inside an hourglass. Fire-tinged orange and red hued liquid with low carbonation, thin head, and very little lacing.

The aroma = bloody mary. Short's nailed this one.

Spicy tomatoes, peppercorns, alcohol, Tabasco, peppers. Admittedly, I am not the biggest fan of bloody marys. However, I can't imagine a beer masquerading as a bloody mary more convincingly than Short's Bloody Beer. The spices and pepper are quite forward, and the beer brings plenty of heat.

Best in small quantities. Absolutely worth a try. Extremely creative and interesting.

06-06-2011 22:00:00 | More by Huhzubendah
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.3/5  rDev -2.4%

I'm hoping kbeals is my new Short's connection.. Kevin hooked me up!! 750 bottle shared with inflatablechair, ditmier, and buckeyeboy.. Thanks for hosting Eric.

Poured into my small La Trappe goblet.. golden/amber brew with a descent head with every swirl..

Nose is sorta nasty at first.... takes a bit of coaxing to put my face back on the glass.. peppercorns and celery seed sorta jump out at first.. I guess I'm getting "tomato"... but it's sooo damn weird... I'm having a time with it.

Flavor really is pretty interesting.. more beer than "Bloody Mary"... but the individual components really are there... I actually get the horseradish on the palate.. but a bit of gathering peppercorn and sorta sweet tomato comes in the middle.. celery seed is there and adds a nice bit of spiciness that is very unique.

I'm soooo torn over this one... I dig it for sure.. but I would NEVER be able to finish an entire bottle..

Thanks again Kevin.. interesting... I want a fresh bottle for sure if they ever make it again.

08-18-2009 01:37:21 | More by JohnGalt1
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

Poured into pils glass.

Pours a light layer of white head. Color is murky hazed burnt rustic orange.

Aroma: Pretty close to a bloody mary. Peppers, tomatoes, celery flavors, and a bit of hot sauce. Pretty unique. I like it.

Taste: It tastes like a lighter bodied bloody mary. It has all the flavors, just a thinner feel to it. Tomato juice, hot sauce, crushed black pepper, celery sticks, and a hint of olives. This is pretty awesome.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and clean. Light to medium bodied with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry with some more spice.

Overall, this is a pretty awesome beer. I enjoy bloody marys and this compared well to one for being a beer. This is one I would like to see around MN. Thanks Dave for sending this one out!

11-18-2010 23:32:59 | More by mothman
superspak

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 9/19/2012. Pours slightly hazy orange copper color with a 1 finger foamy off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin lace. Slight spotty lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of tomato, tomato skins, black peppercorn, celery seed, celery stalks, dill, horseradish, and herbal earthiness. Nice and extremely interesting aromas with good strength and balance; all of the spices mentioned on the bottle definitely show up. Taste of roma tomato, black peppercorn, dill, horseradish, celery, celery seed, herbal, grass, light hot sauce, and earthy spiciness. No bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of roma tomatoes, black peppercorn, dill, horseradish, celery seed, grass, herbal, slight hot sauce, and earthy spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Nice and interesting flavors that are robust and well balanced; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium cabonation and medium bodied; with a fairly slick and creamy mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very solid experimental spiced beer. Very unique and interesting; nicely balanced and smooth. I have never had a Bloody Mary before, so I cant comment on that note; but I would still say that they did a good job of what they were after. Fairly enjoyable stuff for me.

01-17-2013 04:59:04 | More by superspak
gford217

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Big thanks to Matthew for hooking me up with this one, a 750mL bottle poured into a snifter.

This one gushed out of the bottle when I pooped the cap. Pours a bright, hazy ruddy orange with a small creamy off-white head that lingers as a small cap and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is interesting and not over-the-top with the bloody mary components. It smells sweeter than I was expecting with dill and celery playing a major role with the tomatoes and pepper showing up in the background. The underlying beer smells are present enough to remind me this is, in fact, a beer.

The taste isn't quite as complex as the aroma for me with plenty of the tomato juice/V8 taste and some celery. The finish is definitely peppery and leaves the slightest tingle on the tongue through the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with good carbonation.

I was expecting an over-the-top "Bloody Mary bomb" when I opened this but I was pleasantly surprised, especially with the aroma. It had all the interesting ingredients and all were very well integrated. It didn't quite come together perfectly in the taste but I'm still glad I got to try this unique beer.

03-06-2009 23:14:15 | More by gford217
Alieniloquium

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. The last of the set of Short's beers from MarcatGSB.

Appearance - Pours a deep orange color with a small, fleeting white head. I expected a redder color. Again, Short's beers have no head retention.

Smell - Smells like a subdued Bloody Mary. Tomatoes are the strongest, but it has it's fair share of light malt aromas. A little bready from the malt. I get a huge whiff of the celery, too.

Taste - The tomato isn't as prominent in the flavor as it is in the aroma. A lot more of the spices come through. The celery and peppercorns in particular. No horseradish, which might be a good thing. Finishes pretty clean with only some remnants of tomato lingering.

Mouthfeel - A little bit heavy, but otherwise a nice body. Well carbonated and no offensive flavors are putting me off.

Overall - Well, it does exactly what it set out to do. It's a Bloody Mary beer. It's pretty spot on, but the jury is still out on whether it's a flavor combination that's absolutely necessary in a beer.

11-30-2011 01:33:34 | More by Alieniloquium
FosterJM

2.98/5  rDev -11.8%

671st Review on BA
Bottle to Flute
750 ML

App- Well after reading the label I wasn't shocked. Had that V8 juice color with a little bit of head to it. A few bubbles remained around the edges.

Smell- Tomato, pepper, spice. Just a bit weird to me.

Taste- Well, I have never been a fan of tomato juice and in my beer I dont like Cheladas. They seemed to want to do an upscale version of the BMC version. Just a bit awkward on flavors and too overly spiced. Very tomato and pepper.

Mouth- Medium bodied and a almost low carb feel to make it very smooth, shots of pepper and spice dominate the aftertaste.

Drink- Well it certainly was unique and different. Not sure I would come back to it again, the tomato is just too much for me.

07-25-2011 15:09:56 | More by FosterJM
tpd975

4.45/5  rDev +31.7%

Huge thanks to jdubfl for bringing all the Short's beers in for a tasting.

A: Pours an orange red hue with a nice tall white head. No real retention or lace.

S: Bloody Mary mix, dill, celery seed, and green peppercorns.

T: Much better than you can imagine. The Short's guys are geniuses to pull this one off in the way they did. Lots of fresh dill up front, followed by fresh real tomato juice. The celery seed is there but much more milder than the other components. The bottle mentions horseradish but I did not pick any up.

M: Medium in body, light carbonation.

D: Good, going to buy more of this one. When you look at the components you would think meh! It is so good though.

10-31-2009 23:58:24 | More by tpd975
alexgash

Connecticut

12 oz. bottle.

Hazy, particulate-filled blood orange body with a small, gauzy, off-white head. A very much expected interesting nose: lots of peppercorns, definite tomato juice (sans salt), a little dill, and some vague maltiness. It is what we thought it was!

Brief bready maltiness quickly gives way to tomato juice pulpiness. Spicy peppercorns and tangy dill fill out the palate. Herbal, vegetal bitterness mixes with the peppery spiciness nicely. Lingering tomato in the finish. Good umami in this beer! Medium-full body with a pulpy feel. Well-executed and spot on for what it wants to be. Definitely not an everyday, session beer, but it has its place. I feel like this would pair nicely with pizza, or simply with a late morning hangover. Keep up the great original work Shorts!

10-21-2010 02:02:02 | More by alexgash
hopdog

4.3/5  rDev +27.2%

750ml bottle shared courtesy of EDA.

Poured a medium and cloudy orangie color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of celery (freshly cut), tomatoes, and dill. Wow, what a different aroma. Tastes of celery, tomatoes, V8, horseradish, and spices. This one really stood out. Bloody Mary all over it!

Notes from 12/16/07

11-17-2008 02:05:26 | More by hopdog
DavoleBomb

2.75/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass. I've been wanting to try this for a while

3.5 A: This isn't as "bloody" in color as I would have expected. Opaque dark orange brownish color. One finger of frothy off-white head that falls pretty quickly and leaves just a touch of lacing.

3.0 S: If I didn't know what went into this, I'm pretty sure I'm be appalled. Unsurprisingly vegetal and unforgiving. The tomato and horseradish comes through perhaps a bit too strong. Dill comes through next, but the other stuff is barely detectable.

2.5 T: While the nose is barely passable, the taste is not. Overly vegetal without a strong "beer" backbone. Too much tomato and way too much horseradish (there should be none). I'm also not a big fan of dill in general, so its presence isn't welcomed either. Peppercorns show up.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Fairly creamy, but not particularly smooth.

2.5 D: I love Short's innovation and experimentation, but this goes too far. This is a bit like Mamma Mia pizza beer, but the vegetable component is a lot stronger and makes this almost undrinkable. That said, they nailed what they set out to do. Still, I'll pass on this next time.

04-22-2011 05:03:16 | More by DavoleBomb
Deuane

4.58/5  rDev +35.5%

A-Bright, deep copper with a medium light tan head that settled down to a thin cap and left nice webby lace.

S-Aggressive spice kick with definite notes of black pepper and horseradish. Earthy and musty too with just a touch of malt sweetness. Maybe even a hint of celery seed? Not sure I have thought about that in a beer! Very complex and interesting. The more I sniff the more I think, Wow, this really does smell like a spicy bloody mary!"

T-Spicy kick in the palate! Plenty of pepper and horseradish kick in at the start and then mellow into an amalgamation of interesting spicy notes. This is a tough one to pinpoint flavours on. Very interesting, I appreciate the attempt. Maybe just a touch too spicy? Tomato acidity starts to come out with a bit of warming.

M-Medium bodied with a beautiful sharp, crisp bite. Long lasting spicy bitterness. Nice drying finish.

D-Totally solid and interesting brew. Once again Short's practically nails an unusual and interesting fruit/vegetable beer! The more I drink the more I like it. I am a HUGE bloody mary fan so...thanks Joe for another fine product!

09-26-2009 23:15:01 | More by Deuane
cpetrone84

2.9/5  rDev -14.2%

Pour is clear orange amber with a tan head. Nose has so much tomato juice and a faint spice to it. Taste has that tomato juice up front with some sweet berry notes and a light peppery spice. Creamy full body, softer carbonation. Strange beer, not my cup of tea.

07-12-2013 16:08:40 | More by cpetrone84
Floydster

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

25.6 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with OHLRangers, thanks to Ed for giving me a chance to try this brew, split among three friends last night, I had about a six to seven ounce serving, 8 of 13, #366 of 864, poured into a oversized wine glass

A-Murky mix between medium orange and gold with reddish tint in the light, dark red sediment floating around as well, 3/4 inch foamy off white head that held its ground, decent retention, not much lacing
S-Lots of pickles, definitely horse radish, tomatoes were not as strong in the aroma as they were in the taste, also some skunkiness, soft malt, and
T-First taste was strong black pepper, then faded into some tomatoes that were pretty citric and not as thick as expected, then horse radish absolutely dominated the finish, the pickles later on were more relish-like than anything and not very strong tasting, somebody at the table mentioned they tasted something similar to tuna out of a can and then I kind of did as well, tasted more like food than any other beer I have had, got more peppery and reliant on the radish as the time went on, never really tasted any celery flavors, definitely a lager in the backbone though and thankfully the veggies were not too overpowering
M-Carbonation seemed just right for this brew, medium bodied, mouthfeel was all over the place but was mostly spicy, also tangy and peppery though, taste did not linger as long as you might think
D-Could just finish what I poured in my glass, taste just gets tiresome when you are not a big fan of any of the vegetables that went into this, although judging by what it was, it was decent, smooth and more on the lager side than it seems, not quite a session beer though, and the ABV is rather high but hidden well

First beer I have tried from Short's and it was an interesting one to say the least, very skeptical about this one after I read the description on the bottle, went well with chips and salsa because the tomatoes just balanced each other out, I am not a fan of Bloody Marys by any means but this was much better than expected, two of the people I shared this with seemed to enjoy it even more than I did, probably will not drink again because of its limited availablity, but that is okay because this was something I am fine with trying once, worth seeking out a bottle of this specialty beer

09-28-2008 16:31:54 | More by Floydster
flexabull

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle courtesy of mikesgroove, thanks again!

Pours a light orange color with a faint white head.

Aromas are of light tomato, hints of horseradish, and pepper.

Taste is way more mellow than I thought they would be. Mellow tomato, hints of horseradish, and a touch of peppercorn. Light cream malt flavors and not much else. This really just tastes like a light amber ale with subtle hints of bloody mary flavors.

Mouthfeel is decent, some fullness, and mildly crisp carbonation.

Drinkability is ok. This is an easy to drink beer, mellow bloody mary flavors that are mixed with mild amber beer flavors. Not bad, but I was hoping for a lot better.

11-26-2010 05:37:35 | More by flexabull
scottfrie

3.65/5  rDev +8%

12oz bottle into Anderson Valley snifter. Split with a friend. Thanks for the tick, Jay.

A: Pours a murky dirty peach color with a thin and wispy white head that left a network of thin lace down the glass.
S: This smells much less offensive than I was expecting. The tomato smells bright and actually resembles the smell of a fresh cut tomato. The celery is also very noticeable. Upon warming a bit of the spices come through, especially the pepper, but these are not as prominent as the tomato or celery.
T: I get notes of tomato, celery, dill, horseradish and peppercorns in that order. This tastes like a salad bar with extra tomato, and is definitely similar to a bloody mary. I get some notes of what taste like golden ale base, but I have no clue.
M: Medium-thick body, chewy mouthfeel, with light tingly carbonation.
O: This was a strange and unique experience. I’m not a huge fan of bloody mary’s, but I can appreciate that this beer taste very similar to the cocktail, in a good way. I’m glad I got to try this, I was very curious. Thanks again jbck109.

11-23-2011 00:15:11 | More by scottfrie