Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: hoppymeal on 09-06-2007

3.65/5  rDev +5.5%

Two and a half years old, I am having this beer, courtesy of Steven. It slightly looks but very much tastes of a Bloody Mary. The pickled aspect has taken over, fortunately, and I am easily able to enjoy this with my wife's salad. Therefore vegetable aromas, a bit pickle, a look of cloudy orange. Average and a bit oily mouthfeel. Decent drinkability but not something I could have nightly.

4.23/5  rDev +22.3%

Big thanks to Jay23 for grabbing this one!

Striated layers of foam, rings of sticky lace in the glass. Hazy orange with micro sediment and some visible carbonation. Unique aroma, some tomato acidity and celery salt, with an underlying beery maltiness.

Unrivaled herbal spice blend in the flavor, recognizable dill, celery salt, sort of dusty and savory, some tomato acidity again. Leafy garden greenery that is so unique in a beer. Nicely balanced with a firm dry bitterness in the finish. Elements of the whole spice rack, though i'm not getting much pepper. Light bodied and easy drinking, though it may not be for everyone. Pizza beer needs to take notes from Short's...

3.58/5  rDev +3.5%

had a few shorts beers to round out my night and started out with this one. i was a bit nervous to say the least, but it was not as bad as i thought.

poured a dark, reddish tinted orange with a big off white head that reached a height of around three inches before settling back down and leaving some nice lacing around the edges of the glass.

the aroma is a straight up bloody mary with hints to tomato, pepper, lots of fruity notes and a dash of grassy hops. not really sure i was every going to see this in a beer, not being a fan of a bloody mary to begin with I was a touch nervous to proceed. but the flavor mirrored it exactly with a thicj tomato and spicy pepper that pricked at the tongue and left you thirsty and full at the same time.

overall this was not really one for me at all. i knew that going in but i will admit it certainly could have been alot worse.

3.97/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance: Pours a clearish, amberish body with a small, though sustained, white head.

Smell: A real treat to smell, you can easily pick out the tomatoes, horseradish, dill, and spices. Yes, yes, it's starting to remind me of...

Taste: A blend of lager beer and Bloody Mary Mix. A nice, distinct, though not overdone horseradish and pepper spiciness. Somewhat mild, lightly sweetish tomato character. A hint of sugar and rock salt. Bloody Mary through and through on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: As with the Peaches & Creme, it's quite interesting, although I may lean towards that beer in terms of drinkability. However, they set a goal to reach and delivered in terms of honest-to-goodness Bloody Mary flavor. Other specialty beers fall way short of this, so kudos to Short's in that regard.

3.08/5  rDev -11%

Served in a Surly shaker pint glass.

Big thanks to jefferz5000 for this bottle!

The tenth and final entry in SwillFest 2011. Thank god. It pours a hazy ruby red grapefruit juice topped by a finger of light cream foam. The nose comprises tart blood orange, gorgonzola, horseradish, garlic, red pepper, and bleu cheese dressing on some mild buffalo wings. The taste holds notes of watered-down bleu cheese dressing, horseradish, light marinara, green pepper, and garlic. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a creamy feel. Overall, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this beer. It seems to nail what it was going for, but it doesn't taste entirely that good. It's definitely an experience, though, and I'm glad to have had it.

3.52/5  rDev +1.7%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 9/19/2012. Pours slightly hazy orange copper color with a 1 finger foamy off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin lace. Slight spotty lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of tomato, tomato skins, black peppercorn, celery seed, celery stalks, dill, horseradish, and herbal earthiness. Nice and extremely interesting aromas with good strength and balance; all of the spices mentioned on the bottle definitely show up. Taste of roma tomato, black peppercorn, dill, horseradish, celery, celery seed, herbal, grass, light hot sauce, and earthy spiciness. No bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of roma tomatoes, black peppercorn, dill, horseradish, celery seed, grass, herbal, slight hot sauce, and earthy spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Nice and interesting flavors that are robust and well balanced; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium cabonation and medium bodied; with a fairly slick and creamy mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very solid experimental spiced beer. Very unique and interesting; nicely balanced and smooth. I have never had a Bloody Mary before, so I cant comment on that note; but I would still say that they did a good job of what they were after. Fairly enjoyable stuff for me.

2.4/5  rDev -30.6%

Got this as an extra in a recent trade. Poured into a mini pint.

A - Pours pale yellow, with some red accents mixed in, with little to no head leaving no lacing down the glass.

S - Some course ground black pepper and horseradish heat up front mix with the tomato's, a good amount of them, to make it seem like a bloody mary. I would say it smells closer to a 50/50 mix of beer and bloody mary.

T - Well that was about as good as I thought it would be. Plenty of tomato pulp and skins, spicy black pepper and horseradish, and some dill and other herbs. This one really did a number on my pallet. I am not a fan of this one.

M - Medium light body with heavy, viscous, flavors; moderate carbonation. The over the top flavors wore my pallet down quite quickly.

D - One and done. I was not a fan. I love pizza and bloody mary's but this one really didn't do it for me. I still wanna try some of the other short's beers before I pass judgement on them but this was not a good start.

3.56/5  rDev +2.9%

Another interested beer from Short's, they have a niche it seems and they fill it nicely. This beer is suppose to taste like a bloody mary, and it gets close. Really close.

Beer is reddish orange with a thin lazy head with bad retention no lacing and mild carbonation. Looks like beer.

Smell is amazing but reminds me a cheleda a little. It smells like tomatoes and salty / spicy / peppery. Interesting, I suppose once again you nailed it on the aroma.

Beer is very spicy, medium bodied with a rough peppery midpalate and a harsh finish. I guess I don't hate it but the bloody mary thing isn't really doing it for me. The tomatoes are forward on the palate and teh finish is too dry. I don't think I'd have it again.

2.83/5  rDev -18.2%

Review from notes. Someone broke this out at a BBQ I attended.

A: Pours a mottled orange color with a small beige head on top. Minimal retention and lacing.

S: Certainly some tomato, but overwhelmingly spiced. Tons of pepper and horse radish, they really dominated and everything else present didn't come through at all.

T: Similar to the nose, rather spicy/hot from the pepper and horse radish. The tomato helps a bit, but still comes off hot, in addition to the 8.5% it already gets some heat from.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly creamy, but is not smooth drinking.

O: I applaud Shorts for trying, but it just didn't come off very beer like for me. I like spicy/hot food, but this one was a bit harsh for me. It is very much like a bloody mary, but not one that I want seconds of.

Poured into pils glass.

Pours a light layer of white head. Color is murky hazed burnt rustic orange.

Aroma: Pretty close to a bloody mary. Peppers, tomatoes, celery flavors, and a bit of hot sauce. Pretty unique. I like it.

Taste: It tastes like a lighter bodied bloody mary. It has all the flavors, just a thinner feel to it. Tomato juice, hot sauce, crushed black pepper, celery sticks, and a hint of olives. This is pretty awesome.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and clean. Light to medium bodied with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry with some more spice.

Overall, this is a pretty awesome beer. I enjoy bloody marys and this compared well to one for being a beer. This is one I would like to see around MN. Thanks Dave for sending this one out!

3.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

The beer is reminiscent of a conflagration trapped inside an hourglass. Fire-tinged orange and red hued liquid with low carbonation, thin head, and very little lacing.

The aroma = bloody mary. Short's nailed this one.

Spicy tomatoes, peppercorns, alcohol, Tabasco, peppers. Admittedly, I am not the biggest fan of bloody marys. However, I can't imagine a beer masquerading as a bloody mary more convincingly than Short's Bloody Beer. The spices and pepper are quite forward, and the beer brings plenty of heat.

Best in small quantities. Absolutely worth a try. Extremely creative and interesting.

Thanks to StormKing47 for sending me this bottle. The beer pours a hazy orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the black pepper, celery, horseradish and dill. I don’t get too much tomato in the aroma. The aroma is very herbal overall. The flavor is similar and is very similar to a bloody mary. I get a lot of dill and other herbs, along with some tomato and horseradish. I didn’t think these flavors would work well in a beer, but this beer is unique and remarkably. good. Definitely glad I got to try this one. I don’t like bloody mary’s, but I really enjoyed this beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.64/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. The last of the set of Short's beers from MarcatGSB.

Appearance - Pours a deep orange color with a small, fleeting white head. I expected a redder color. Again, Short's beers have no head retention.

Smell - Smells like a subdued Bloody Mary. Tomatoes are the strongest, but it has it's fair share of light malt aromas. A little bready from the malt. I get a huge whiff of the celery, too.

Taste - The tomato isn't as prominent in the flavor as it is in the aroma. A lot more of the spices come through. The celery and peppercorns in particular. No horseradish, which might be a good thing. Finishes pretty clean with only some remnants of tomato lingering.

Mouthfeel - A little bit heavy, but otherwise a nice body. Well carbonated and no offensive flavors are putting me off.

Overall - Well, it does exactly what it set out to do. It's a Bloody Mary beer. It's pretty spot on, but the jury is still out on whether it's a flavor combination that's absolutely necessary in a beer.

3.9/5  rDev +12.7%

Bottle 606 of 864 purchased at the Bellaire brewpub last summer. Shared with ksak and AnnieSak.

A: The beer has an amber golden glow until the end of the bottle, when yeast takes the ale to a much darker brown. Even before the yeast, the ale was opaque. Two plus fingers of white head came on the first pour and left islands of lace scattered around the mouth of the glass.

S: What an aroma! Ground pepper and horseradish lead the way with ripe tomatoes in pursuit. The ingredients, per the bottle, don't seem appealing but they work.

T: The zestier aspects of the ale come through first. Ground black pepper, sharp with a bit of heat, mixed with horseradish. That is where the heat really kicks up, with the root adding a fiery element. The ale's body, an unlikely blend of malts and tomatos. After a brief tomato interlude, the horseradish and pepper return. The finish has all aspects working together, a bloody mary without the excess booze.

M: The mouthfeel is very spicy, prickly even. The horseradish and pepper, they are zesty and bold, quite a treat.

D: The flavors are bold, so bold tat I was glad to have a few people to share the bottle with.

3.28/5  rDev -5.2%

I'm hoping kbeals is my new Short's connection.. Kevin hooked me up!! 750 bottle shared with inflatablechair, ditmier, and buckeyeboy.. Thanks for hosting Eric.

Poured into my small La Trappe goblet.. golden/amber brew with a descent head with every swirl..

Nose is sorta nasty at first.... takes a bit of coaxing to put my face back on the glass.. peppercorns and celery seed sorta jump out at first.. I guess I'm getting "tomato"... but it's sooo damn weird... I'm having a time with it.

Flavor really is pretty interesting.. more beer than "Bloody Mary"... but the individual components really are there... I actually get the horseradish on the palate.. but a bit of gathering peppercorn and sorta sweet tomato comes in the middle.. celery seed is there and adds a nice bit of spiciness that is very unique.

I'm soooo torn over this one... I dig it for sure.. but I would NEVER be able to finish an entire bottle..

Thanks again Kevin.. interesting... I want a fresh bottle for sure if they ever make it again.

3.89/5  rDev +12.4%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours a murky copper-red color with a half-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of huge amounts of tomatos with moderate amounts of peppery spices.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Slightly salt-like malt flavors with large amounts of ripe tomato flavors kick things off. Pepper-like spices come into play midway through the sip and carry through to a nondescript ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is not great. Finishing my glass wasn't the easiest thing in the world and I wouldn't want to do it again.

Overall I probably ranked this higher than most others but for a vegetable beer I can't imagine it being any better. That being said, the drinkability reflects my thoughts on how much I could have of this beer. Very interesting for curiousity's sake just know what you're getting into.

3.35/5  rDev -3.2%

Reviewed from notes:
Thanks goes out to pwoody11 for sending this my way.

appearance: amber orange with no head

smell: malts, tomato,

taste: tomato juice, acidic, bitter

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin to medium body,

overall: Interesting beer. I guess you should like tomato juice if you want to like this one.

3.47/5  rDev +0.3%

on tap at sunset tap and grille in boston during the post-EBF brunch

Pours a deep golden color with plenty of orange hues and some reddish tint. A thin crop of white head fades out, leaving some spotty lacing and a layer of film on top.

Hmm...yes, this definitely smells like a Bloody Mary, at least what I remember of them. Some pepper and spice with juicy tomatoes and a scintillating edge of horseradish.

Plenty of tomato juice mixed with cracked black pepper and spice. Some light herbal notes with dill, which is quickly smashed by a horseradish bite. There's definitely some traces of salt and V8 in here, as well as some alcohol towards the finish.

Medium body, decent carbonation, kind of sticky on the palate. I dont really know what else to say. This smells and tastes a lot like a Bloody Mary, although a small pour was enough for me.

2.29/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours a darkish copper-orange color with a thick white head, decent lacing. The nose is very interesting, and actually smells pretty good. Loaded with massive peppercorn aroma, dill, basil, roasted tomato and peppers. Doesn't smell much like a beer, more like a meal. Very intriguing. The taste... Full on tomato juice. Heavy, heavy, HEAVY tomato juice. Peppercorns are also heavy, but I feel it's mostly a perception thing since they are so heavy in the aroma. Picking up a very, very faint hint or horseradish spice at the start, dill seasoning and leafy celery comes in midway through, along with an overpowering sweetness, most likely from the tomatoes. There's also a massive saltiness to this beer, almost tastes like you're taking a swig of brine. Medium body, overall low carbonation.

I commend Short's for their crazy experimental brew. I wasn't a fan of this one, but I don't love Bloody Mary's to begin with, so maybe that's the problem. I was expecting a beer with some Bloody Mary hints and tones. Rather this was like a Bloody Mary with almost no hint of beer. And even for a Bloody Mary, the tomato juice aspect was a bit overpowering. I respect the effort, but personally, this one was difficult to finish.

1.52/5  rDev -56.1%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. Thanks to steebo777 for the bottle!

(A)- Pours a clear orange color that produced some white bubbles.

(S)- This smells like a vegetable and herb garden put-together. Earthy tomatoes and spices. Very weird but interesting.

(T)- Very veggie oriented with a very heavy dose of dill and pepper spice.

(M)- A good carbonation level. This is just plain weird. Its like they mashed up a veggie and herb garden and brewed it with a really simple base beer. Bitter, spicy, and tomatoes.

(D)- If someone can enjoy this, then all the power to you, however this for me almost activates a gag reflex. I realize this was made to try and depict a bloody mary, but at the same time you REALLY gotta like dill because it is really overwhelming in this.

2.88/5  rDev -16.8%

Pour is clear orange amber with a tan head. Nose has so much tomato juice and a faint spice to it. Taste has that tomato juice up front with some sweet berry notes and a light peppery spice. Creamy full body, softer carbonation. Strange beer, not my cup of tea.

3.92/5  rDev +13.3%

Big thanks to Matthew for hooking me up with this one, a 750mL bottle poured into a snifter.

This one gushed out of the bottle when I pooped the cap. Pours a bright, hazy ruddy orange with a small creamy off-white head that lingers as a small cap and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is interesting and not over-the-top with the bloody mary components. It smells sweeter than I was expecting with dill and celery playing a major role with the tomatoes and pepper showing up in the background. The underlying beer smells are present enough to remind me this is, in fact, a beer.

The taste isn't quite as complex as the aroma for me with plenty of the tomato juice/V8 taste and some celery. The finish is definitely peppery and leaves the slightest tingle on the tongue through the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with good carbonation.

I was expecting an over-the-top "Bloody Mary bomb" when I opened this but I was pleasantly surprised, especially with the aroma. It had all the interesting ingredients and all were very well integrated. It didn't quite come together perfectly in the taste but I'm still glad I got to try this unique beer.

3.91/5  rDev +13%

Notes from fall 2010. 12 oz release.

Doesn't look that bloody. Pours reddish brown with lots of material suspended and one finger of head. Not the most appealing looking beer, but okay.

Wow, this does smell just like a bloody mary. Pepper, tomato, celery and a bit of horseradish. Very enjoyable arome if you like bloody mary's.

Pepper hits first, followed by tastes of tomato, celery and horseradish, with some hops on the finish. If you didn't know what to expect, this could induce your gag reflex. But given what they were going for, I think this is a success. Made a great first beer on a football saturday.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick, and a bit odd, but I like it.

This is definitely a novelty. In the future, if I want a bloody mary, I'll go for the real thing, but I enjoyed this. As much as I love peppery bloody marys though, can't see having more than one of these in a sitting.

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Reviewed Blind, courtesy of abraxel:

A: Pours a deep translucent gold with slight brown and red hues. There is about a half finger of head that fades quickly. The foam settles into a thin ring along the edges of the glass. There is minimal lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is peppery (peppercorns), with a bit of added spice, and some sort of tartness. It doesn’t smelly like yeast funk, but there is a weirdness in there that I just can’t seem to put my finger on.

T: It starts out smooth with a lot of fresh cracked pepper to start. As is moves towards the middle of the beer, I get quick brine like tartness, and then I get a bit of spice towards the finish. I reminds me of a Bloody Mary.

M: Medium bodied beer. It’s clean to start, the flavors transition nicely, and the heat lingers for a bit. I’m a big fan of the pepper notes, but there is something about this beer that makes it hard to drink. It’s that acidic bite.

O: This beer isn’t terrible, but it’s just not my thing. I love the pepper in it, but that funk/tart/whatever it is that is in there is a bit off-putting. I’m happy to have tried this, especially blind, but I don’t think I’d want to drink it again.

My guess: Some wacky hybrid Bloody Mary beer.

The reveal: Short’s Bloody Beer. (Specialty beer fermented with roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill.)

Damn. No joke. Short’s nailed it. This beer tastes just like a Bloody Mary. Haha.

3.7/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Bill at Princeton Liquors for letting me sample this!

Pours a rosy orange color with all kinds of particles suspended about. Looks like tomato pulp. Pretty minimal head.

Smells along the lines of a bloody mary or tomato juice. Getting some herbal notes and acidic tomato.

Tastes exactly like a bloody mary mixed with a light beer. Getting the tomato juice white pepper and celery salt. Very interesting and actually pretty tasty as long as you understand what it's meant to be.

Light body, very little carbonation.

I couldn't see having more than one of these, but it would be better on a warm day. I must admit that Short's really pulled this one off. It tastes like a bloody mary beer. Very unique and worth sampling for the novelty of it if nothing else. Glad to have tried it.

Bloody Beer from Short's Brewing Company