Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 09-06-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

This one poured lighter a lighter color than I thought, with a really interesting herbal and "fresh garden" sort of smell. Decent carbonation, but no elaborate rocky head or anything. There's some really interesting flavors here (the dill, tellicherry peppercorns and horseradish seem to stand out), but no flavor is too over-powering. It turns out that I like all these unusual flavors in a beer, at least with a salad of tomato and mozzarella with some garlicky breadsticks. Their is a sort of an odd horseradish character that is latent in the finish, but it's not enough to stop me drinking this one. Not too sweet, but certainly not bitter either. Hops are just one of the herbs in this beer kept in balance with all the other flavors. Very tasty and worth seeking out. My bottle was filled in March 2007 and was purchased at the brewery in Bellaire.

marcobrau, Aug 28, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

Thanks to Deuane for bringing this one back from MI for me. A capped 750ml bottle # 482 of 864. Upon pouring into my shaker glass, the beer appears a rather murky golden honey color with barely a finger of fizzy, quickly fading bone white head. Aromas and flavors consist of spicy cracked pepper, biting, pungent horseradish, tomato pulp and juice, celery, dill, a bit of booze in the nose, sweet malt pokes through the aforementioned , more aggressive flavors. Yep, all the flavors are accounted for here, just like the label states. Certainly tastes like a bloody mary. The only thing missing is a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a few dashes of Tabasco. The finish leaves the tongue and throat tingling from the peppers and horseradish. The beer is nearly full bodied and amply carbonated. Cheers to Joe Short for making such a unique and tasty beer.

ClockworkOrange, Aug 25, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -2.4%

I'm hoping kbeals is my new Short's connection.. Kevin hooked me up!! 750 bottle shared with inflatablechair, ditmier, and buckeyeboy.. Thanks for hosting Eric.

Poured into my small La Trappe goblet.. golden/amber brew with a descent head with every swirl..

Nose is sorta nasty at first.... takes a bit of coaxing to put my face back on the glass.. peppercorns and celery seed sorta jump out at first.. I guess I'm getting "tomato"... but it's sooo damn weird... I'm having a time with it.

Flavor really is pretty interesting.. more beer than "Bloody Mary"... but the individual components really are there... I actually get the horseradish on the palate.. but a bit of gathering peppercorn and sorta sweet tomato comes in the middle.. celery seed is there and adds a nice bit of spiciness that is very unique.

I'm soooo torn over this one... I dig it for sure.. but I would NEVER be able to finish an entire bottle..

Thanks again Kevin.. interesting... I want a fresh bottle for sure if they ever make it again.

JohnGalt1, Aug 18, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

A - 1 finger white head, ample carbonation, copper/amber hue. Quite clear. Good lacing.

S - Tomatoes, yeast, celery, pickles, golden beer. Definitely a sweet yeast vibe that manages to retain a "beer-like" smell.

T - My Chelada review may lead you to think that I'd hate this, but in reality, Short's puts beer first. Starts as a nice blonde, and quickly transforms in a bloody mary. Aftertaste of dill, and celery seed mostly, with tomoato twinges throughout. Major stewed tomato vibe. Actually really well put-together, despite the odd combination.

M - Sparkly and medium bodied.

D - My girlfriend finished about 18 oz. of this bottle, so yeah, she'd say it's drinkable. This was the second bottle I bought for her, mind you. I don't think it's supremely drinkable... however it IS an incredibly well-made beer, and a real treat to try.

Notes: This is the only beer that makes tomatoes an actually viable brewing ingredient. The second some clam juice gets thrown into the mix, I'm jumping out of the car at full speed.

SaucyA, Mar 31, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Big thanks to Matthew for hooking me up with this one, a 750mL bottle poured into a snifter.

This one gushed out of the bottle when I pooped the cap. Pours a bright, hazy ruddy orange with a small creamy off-white head that lingers as a small cap and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is interesting and not over-the-top with the bloody mary components. It smells sweeter than I was expecting with dill and celery playing a major role with the tomatoes and pepper showing up in the background. The underlying beer smells are present enough to remind me this is, in fact, a beer.

The taste isn't quite as complex as the aroma for me with plenty of the tomato juice/V8 taste and some celery. The finish is definitely peppery and leaves the slightest tingle on the tongue through the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with good carbonation.

I was expecting an over-the-top "Bloody Mary bomb" when I opened this but I was pleasantly surprised, especially with the aroma. It had all the interesting ingredients and all were very well integrated. It didn't quite come together perfectly in the taste but I'm still glad I got to try this unique beer.

gford217, Mar 06, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +27.2%

750ml bottle shared courtesy of EDA.

Poured a medium and cloudy orangie color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of celery (freshly cut), tomatoes, and dill. Wow, what a different aroma. Tastes of celery, tomatoes, V8, horseradish, and spices. This one really stood out. Bloody Mary all over it!

Notes from 12/16/07

hopdog, Nov 17, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +19.2%

Received this brew in a trade with BeerTruth. This will be my third Shorts brew and second of the Imperial series. Can't wait to try all of these Imperial brews. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute.

Bloody Beer
Date Brewed: 3/22/07
Batch No: 290
Date Bottled: 5/16&17/07
Non Traditional Ingredients: Roma Tomatoes, Horseradish, Dill, Celery Seed and Tellicherry Peppercorns
Imperial Beer 8 of 13
Bottle Number 13 of 864

Appearance- Pours a hazy reddish orange with a nice creamy half finger pinkish white head that recedes VERY slowly. A beautifully creamy cap and collar are left that leaves LOADES of sticky soft lacing.
Smell- Excellent! Spicy from the start as loads of horseradish and pepper really stick out. It's amazing how clean the nose actually is with some light dill and celery seed. Really reminiscent of pickles and honestly I don't really get much tomatoes in the nose. Almost smells a little like pizza sauce.
Taste- The dill and the horseradish really dominate. The dill is a little much as it adds that pickle like sensation I got in the nose. The horseradish is spicy and bitter, although I bet when fresh that bitterness wasn't present. Light tomato and a bit of spice from the peppercorns really do add a nice Bloody Mary aspect to this brew although I think it needs more tomato. Not much in the way of celery seed which is rather surprising considering it's a fairly strong and recognizable spice. I think the horseradish just kind of takes over and covers the celery seed. Finishes with a light lager sweetness and lingering dill/horseradish combo.
Mouthfeel- Not as heavy as you'd think (or I wished) with a light carbonation and very spicy tingle on the tongue.
Drinkability- Normally when I drink bloody beers I either mix some Full Sail Session Lager (when I actually have some) or Red Stripe with some spicy Bloody Mary mix early in the morning to help calm the hangover. I'd probably stick with my combination even if I had another bottle of this. It's really unique and tasty but too much dill and horseradish (and I love both). I also wish it was thicker with some pulpy tomato but I understand it needed filtered to get out all of the spices. Unique, tasty and different but if I need a bloody beer, I'll make my own (I know my finish here seems really negative but I really did enjoy this brew). Big thanks again to my main man Adam!

younger35, Nov 16, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

25.6 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with OHLRangers, thanks to Ed for giving me a chance to try this brew, split among three friends last night, I had about a six to seven ounce serving, 8 of 13, #366 of 864, poured into a oversized wine glass

A-Murky mix between medium orange and gold with reddish tint in the light, dark red sediment floating around as well, 3/4 inch foamy off white head that held its ground, decent retention, not much lacing
S-Lots of pickles, definitely horse radish, tomatoes were not as strong in the aroma as they were in the taste, also some skunkiness, soft malt, and
T-First taste was strong black pepper, then faded into some tomatoes that were pretty citric and not as thick as expected, then horse radish absolutely dominated the finish, the pickles later on were more relish-like than anything and not very strong tasting, somebody at the table mentioned they tasted something similar to tuna out of a can and then I kind of did as well, tasted more like food than any other beer I have had, got more peppery and reliant on the radish as the time went on, never really tasted any celery flavors, definitely a lager in the backbone though and thankfully the veggies were not too overpowering
M-Carbonation seemed just right for this brew, medium bodied, mouthfeel was all over the place but was mostly spicy, also tangy and peppery though, taste did not linger as long as you might think
D-Could just finish what I poured in my glass, taste just gets tiresome when you are not a big fan of any of the vegetables that went into this, although judging by what it was, it was decent, smooth and more on the lager side than it seems, not quite a session beer though, and the ABV is rather high but hidden well

First beer I have tried from Short's and it was an interesting one to say the least, very skeptical about this one after I read the description on the bottle, went well with chips and salsa because the tomatoes just balanced each other out, I am not a fan of Bloody Marys by any means but this was much better than expected, two of the people I shared this with seemed to enjoy it even more than I did, probably will not drink again because of its limited availablity, but that is okay because this was something I am fine with trying once, worth seeking out a bottle of this specialty beer

Floydster, Sep 28, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +19.2%

750ml bottle. # 258 of 865

I've had this before at various fests and always loved it. This is my first time out of the bottle. Pours into my glass a deep reddish orange color with good clarity and a half inch of bubbly white head on top. Aromas start with a somewhat grainy malt backbone with tomato juice upfront. Lots of spices as well with pepper and celery coming through the most. This does smell like a bloody mary for sure!

First sip brings a crisp grainy malt upfront that quickly turns to bold tomato flavor. Macerated tomato leads into a peppery spiciness with dill and celery accents. The brew flows down with true bloody mary flavor and a touch of heat, presumably from the horseradish, on the finish. Lingering spicy tomato as an afterthought. A wild beer that I personally find very tasty.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with steady, fast moving carbonation. It has a slight creaminess. Good body overall. Ultimately, this is a unique brew that I really enjoy. If you hate bloody mary's you probably won't be too fond of this one. Cheers to Short's for pushing the boundaries of brewing and creating something as interesting and tasty as this!

orbitalr0x, Sep 14, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

Really excited to try my first beer from the up and coming Short's Brewing. I think with this beer you really have to take in account what they were shooting for in this brew and review accordingly.

Pours to a hazy murky orange amber with a full rocky two inch light tan head that fades in minutes. Nose has distinct tones of peppercorns and hops, this is an odd but pleasant combination. With first sip you get a pairing of even hops and a raw, crisp vegetable feel. The celery feel is truely there along with the uncrushed peppercorns. There is even a hint of malt like sweetness with tomato skin on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel is very smooth and almost creamy. This beer is very different but nicely drinkable.

SPLITGRIN, Aug 17, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -26%

Hazy apricot color with a white head that quickly dissipates. Smell of tomato paste, celery, radish, and some other spice I can't quite pick out. Taste is much of the same, but I also get a bit of cracked peppercorn that adds a bit of a bite to it. Body is light and carbonation is medium. Not a big fan of this beer.

badbeer, May 23, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: Pours a clearish, amberish body with a small, though sustained, white head.

Smell: A real treat to smell, you can easily pick out the tomatoes, horseradish, dill, and spices. Yes, yes, it's starting to remind me of...

Taste: A blend of lager beer and Bloody Mary Mix. A nice, distinct, though not overdone horseradish and pepper spiciness. Somewhat mild, lightly sweetish tomato character. A hint of sugar and rock salt. Bloody Mary through and through on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: As with the Peaches & Creme, it's quite interesting, although I may lean towards that beer in terms of drinkability. However, they set a goal to reach and delivered in terms of honest-to-goodness Bloody Mary flavor. Other specialty beers fall way short of this, so kudos to Short's in that regard.

ChainGangGuy, May 05, 2008
2.03/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours very orange red with a small head, and average lacing. Average carbonation with a sweet spicy smell of celery and dill. Tastes bitter and spicy...like the kitchen floor an Italian restaurant. This is strange and tastes like thanksgiving turkey stuffing. Best use maybe for cooking???

ATLbeerDog, May 04, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +29.6%

Pours and nice cloudy bright orange with a thick creamy head. I expected it to be red but it's not.

Smell: Tomato, Salt, Bready, it's all pretty subdued.

Taste: So Weird. Tomatoes, pepper, salt, celery. They all come through. It's like a bloody mary that isn't gross. It's so odd and still light and refreshing. Dry, salty, peppery finish.

It's beer first and bloody maryesque second. I can see why this is the best selling out of the Imperial Series.

TheBlackMallard, Apr 20, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +19.8%

Labels states: specialty beer fermented with roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill.
Bottle # 11 of 864. Pours a hazy rusty orange and gold, a small off white to cream colored head recedes to a faint covering. Aroma is of rich and meaty, salty tomato juice, strong celery salt aroma as well, very much like a bloody mary. Taste is along these same lines with rich tomato juice and celery salt flavors. There is a quick flash of maltiness up front before the tomato flavor and a nice peppery flavored bite at the back of the throat towards the finish. Mild tingle lingers on the lips and tongue, likely from the pepper or possibly the horseradish. Mouthfeel is medium in body with a nice crisp and peppery finish. Very much like a nice bloody mary with some beer thrown in which makes for an enjoyable drink, love the peppery tingle left behing in the aftertaste. This would be a great beer for an a.m. tailgating event in place of a true bloody mary. Unique, flavorful and refreshing.

hoppymeal, Sep 06, 2007