Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: hoppymeal on 09-06-2007

Ratings: 194 | Reviews: 96
3.44/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Pours a cloudy reddish amber with two quarters of off white head.

S: Smells like a V8.

T: Starts out like a bloody mary with a hint of sweetness. Tomato followed by peppercorns. After the pepper spice comes a grapefruit hop bitterness that I don't think works well with the bloody mary taste. A little dill in the finish.

M: Lighter side of medium with good carbonation.

O: Not my cup of tea.

3.64/5  rDev +7.7%

Picked up a six pack to share day of distribution in the Grand Rapids area (9/28/11). Poured into a snifter.

A - Light to moderate pour produced a very thin half finger head that dissipated very quickly. Warm copper body...was expecting it to be more red.

S - Hops up front. Smells like a "healthy" IPA at first really. You can really get the tomato and spices. Smells like a V8, maybe even a mild chili.

T - Hoppy fresh tomatoes followed by a really sweet and slightly spicy finish. The dill and peppercorn is apparent on the back end. The sweetness kind of lingers.

M - Quite flat and thin really. I would prefer more carbonation if it stayed as thin, otherwise, I'd really like a more syrupy roasted tomato taste..

O - I'm glad I tried it, but not sure I need it again. I know this does not sit well on the shelves, so if you find it more than a few weeks past it's early Autumn release, I imagine you would find it to taste a lot more like rotten vegetables.

3.73/5  rDev +10.4%

Bloody beer pours a fairly cloudy looking orange amber color. The head is parchment in color and though it deteriorates fairly quickly and does not leave much lace, though a stubborn ring sticks around for the entire glass.

Wow, this aroma smells a lot like a bloody Mary. It is also giving me some traumatic flashbacks of Chelada, but this beer luckily does not have any rotten clam smell to it. It DOES smell like tomato juice, celery, salt, pepper and herbs. Pretty crazy.

I was unsure about the aroma, but the flavor is very nice. It is not nearly as salty or V8 like as it comes off as in the nose. Instead you get a very lager beer like base that is spiked with the veggie flavors as well as some nice peppery character.

The body is on the lighter end of medium with a carbonation that seems appropriate. The finish is thankfully much more beer like than bloody Mary.

I am going to be honest, the smell is still sort of a turn off for me, but overall I found this to be tasty and “cool” beer. It’s a very creative endeavor and the fact that they bottled this is pretty awesome. I would recommend any beer geek to try this and would imagine that if you are a big fan of the cocktail it’s named after, you will probably enjoy it more than I did.

2.95/5  rDev -12.7%

FlandersNed gave me this interesting brew as a bonus.

A - Poured half the bottle in a pint glass. It was a nice amber/blood orange transluscent liquid with a thin white head. Minimal Lacing. The 2nd pour, the rest of the beer, resembled a fuzzy navel. The color was blood orange with various particles floating around.

S - Ever had a red eye? This is V8 in a glass. Some great tomato smell but there's also some dill, peppercorn, basil, and some potato chip too. Its like a vegetable medley of a brew.

T - When it first hits you get the tomato but it quickly moves to various herbs like dill & pepper. Some barley in there too The way that it mixes with the alcohol is just very different. Not my cup of beer (tea). Some salt covered cheery pops out in there too.

M - Feels flat and a little thin. Slight bitter finish.

O - Just not for me. Even tried it paired with a stew. Just didn't work for me.

2.98/5  rDev -11.8%

671st Review on BA
Bottle to Flute
750 ML

App- Well after reading the label I wasn't shocked. Had that V8 juice color with a little bit of head to it. A few bubbles remained around the edges.

Smell- Tomato, pepper, spice. Just a bit weird to me.

Taste- Well, I have never been a fan of tomato juice and in my beer I dont like Cheladas. They seemed to want to do an upscale version of the BMC version. Just a bit awkward on flavors and too overly spiced. Very tomato and pepper.

Mouth- Medium bodied and a almost low carb feel to make it very smooth, shots of pepper and spice dominate the aftertaste.

Drink- Well it certainly was unique and different. Not sure I would come back to it again, the tomato is just too much for me.

3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

Served in a Surly shaker pint glass.

Big thanks to jefferz5000 for this bottle!

The tenth and final entry in SwillFest 2011. Thank god. It pours a hazy ruby red grapefruit juice topped by a finger of light cream foam. The nose comprises tart blood orange, gorgonzola, horseradish, garlic, red pepper, and bleu cheese dressing on some mild buffalo wings. The taste holds notes of watered-down bleu cheese dressing, horseradish, light marinara, green pepper, and garlic. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a creamy feel. Overall, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this beer. It seems to nail what it was going for, but it doesn't taste entirely that good. It's definitely an experience, though, and I'm glad to have had it.

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

Review from notes. Someone broke this out at a BBQ I attended.

A: Pours a mottled orange color with a small beige head on top. Minimal retention and lacing.

S: Certainly some tomato, but overwhelmingly spiced. Tons of pepper and horse radish, they really dominated and everything else present didn't come through at all.

T: Similar to the nose, rather spicy/hot from the pepper and horse radish. The tomato helps a bit, but still comes off hot, in addition to the 8.5% it already gets some heat from.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly creamy, but is not smooth drinking.

O: I applaud Shorts for trying, but it just didn't come off very beer like for me. I like spicy/hot food, but this one was a bit harsh for me. It is very much like a bloody mary, but not one that I want seconds of.

3.69/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

The beer is reminiscent of a conflagration trapped inside an hourglass. Fire-tinged orange and red hued liquid with low carbonation, thin head, and very little lacing.

The aroma = bloody mary. Short's nailed this one.

Spicy tomatoes, peppercorns, alcohol, Tabasco, peppers. Admittedly, I am not the biggest fan of bloody marys. However, I can't imagine a beer masquerading as a bloody mary more convincingly than Short's Bloody Beer. The spices and pepper are quite forward, and the beer brings plenty of heat.

Best in small quantities. Absolutely worth a try. Extremely creative and interesting.

3.56/5  rDev +5.3%

Another interested beer from Short's, they have a niche it seems and they fill it nicely. This beer is suppose to taste like a bloody mary, and it gets close. Really close.

Beer is reddish orange with a thin lazy head with bad retention no lacing and mild carbonation. Looks like beer.

Smell is amazing but reminds me a cheleda a little. It smells like tomatoes and salty / spicy / peppery. Interesting, I suppose once again you nailed it on the aroma.

Beer is very spicy, medium bodied with a rough peppery midpalate and a harsh finish. I guess I don't hate it but the bloody mary thing isn't really doing it for me. The tomatoes are forward on the palate and teh finish is too dry. I don't think I'd have it again.

Thanks to StormKing47 for sending me this bottle. The beer pours a hazy orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the black pepper, celery, horseradish and dill. I don’t get too much tomato in the aroma. The aroma is very herbal overall. The flavor is similar and is very similar to a bloody mary. I get a lot of dill and other herbs, along with some tomato and horseradish. I didn’t think these flavors would work well in a beer, but this beer is unique and remarkably. good. Definitely glad I got to try this one. I don’t like bloody mary’s, but I really enjoyed this beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.76/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Michiganbrewer hooked me up with this unusual beer on his inaugural trade.

Pours a clear medium gold, thin white head. (Edit: after dumping the settled contents of the bottle into the beer, it takes on a medium reddish color, very cloudy, and looks much like a bloody mary!) Tomato, spices, and a mild horseradish all make there way into one of the more unique aromas I've experienced from a beer. Pepper shows up after the initial aromas. Slightly sweet front focuses on the tomato fruit character, spicy middle and a medium finish. As the beer warms more of the spice makes it presence known. Medium bodied with a moderate carbonation.

The bloody mary is one of my favorite cocktails and I like them with a healthy dose of both horseradish and hot sauce. Though this beer isn't quite up to the spice level my taste buds prefer, it certainly carries out the theme. Kudos to Shorts for brewing such a successful representation of the classic vodka cocktail.

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

had a few shorts beers to round out my night and started out with this one. i was a bit nervous to say the least, but it was not as bad as i thought.

poured a dark, reddish tinted orange with a big off white head that reached a height of around three inches before settling back down and leaving some nice lacing around the edges of the glass.

the aroma is a straight up bloody mary with hints to tomato, pepper, lots of fruity notes and a dash of grassy hops. not really sure i was every going to see this in a beer, not being a fan of a bloody mary to begin with I was a touch nervous to proceed. but the flavor mirrored it exactly with a thicj tomato and spicy pepper that pricked at the tongue and left you thirsty and full at the same time.

overall this was not really one for me at all. i knew that going in but i will admit it certainly could have been alot worse.

2.78/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass. I've been wanting to try this for a while

3.5 A: This isn't as "bloody" in color as I would have expected. Opaque dark orange brownish color. One finger of frothy off-white head that falls pretty quickly and leaves just a touch of lacing.

3.0 S: If I didn't know what went into this, I'm pretty sure I'm be appalled. Unsurprisingly vegetal and unforgiving. The tomato and horseradish comes through perhaps a bit too strong. Dill comes through next, but the other stuff is barely detectable.

2.5 T: While the nose is barely passable, the taste is not. Overly vegetal without a strong "beer" backbone. Too much tomato and way too much horseradish (there should be none). I'm also not a big fan of dill in general, so its presence isn't welcomed either. Peppercorns show up.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Fairly creamy, but not particularly smooth.

2.5 D: I love Short's innovation and experimentation, but this goes too far. This is a bit like Mamma Mia pizza beer, but the vegetable component is a lot stronger and makes this almost undrinkable. That said, they nailed what they set out to do. Still, I'll pass on this next time.

3.91/5  rDev +15.7%

Notes from fall 2010. 12 oz release.

Doesn't look that bloody. Pours reddish brown with lots of material suspended and one finger of head. Not the most appealing looking beer, but okay.

Wow, this does smell just like a bloody mary. Pepper, tomato, celery and a bit of horseradish. Very enjoyable arome if you like bloody mary's.

Pepper hits first, followed by tastes of tomato, celery and horseradish, with some hops on the finish. If you didn't know what to expect, this could induce your gag reflex. But given what they were going for, I think this is a success. Made a great first beer on a football saturday.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick, and a bit odd, but I like it.

This is definitely a novelty. In the future, if I want a bloody mary, I'll go for the real thing, but I enjoyed this. As much as I love peppery bloody marys though, can't see having more than one of these in a sitting.

1.78/5  rDev -47.3%

This 12oz bottle was more than enough to sustain the appetite of the 12 or so we had at our tasting. Shared by Normyk.

This was, and currently still is, the only Shorts beer I have ever had. At the time I was pumped to try it after all I have heard about the strange concoctions that this brewery comes up with. I had never heard of this one though... interesting premise, but a bloody mary beer? I have to admit I had some reservations.

A golden color with large white soap bubbles for head. The color wasn't so much 'off' as it just didn't seem appropriate for what this beer was trying to achieve. Thinking back on it, Shorts should have made the base beer a red ale or something.

Smelled like watery V8 and slightly hoppy salsa. We're definitely off to a good start now! There's a little horseradish in the nose as well. It certainly does smell like there's some tomato and spice in there. Unappetizing for a beer, for sure.

The taste had a lot of tomato character. Way too hoppy for what was intended. The horseradish becomes really pronounced and makes for a peppery flavor with a little hot kick to it. Why is the abv nearly 9%? It isn't helping things.

The mouthfeel seemed a little gritty, despite the apparent clarity of the brew.

I guess for what was intended this delivers on at least some points. But I could barely stomach the 3oz pour I had. And I really enjoy a good bloody mary sometimes.

3.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Reviewed from notes:
Thanks goes out to pwoody11 for sending this my way.

appearance: amber orange with no head

smell: malts, tomato,

taste: tomato juice, acidic, bitter

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin to medium body,

overall: Interesting beer. I guess you should like tomato juice if you want to like this one.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.47/5  rDev +2.7%

on tap at sunset tap and grille in boston during the post-EBF brunch

Pours a deep golden color with plenty of orange hues and some reddish tint. A thin crop of white head fades out, leaving some spotty lacing and a layer of film on top.

Hmm...yes, this definitely smells like a Bloody Mary, at least what I remember of them. Some pepper and spice with juicy tomatoes and a scintillating edge of horseradish.

Plenty of tomato juice mixed with cracked black pepper and spice. Some light herbal notes with dill, which is quickly smashed by a horseradish bite. There's definitely some traces of salt and V8 in here, as well as some alcohol towards the finish.

Medium body, decent carbonation, kind of sticky on the palate. I dont really know what else to say. This smells and tastes a lot like a Bloody Mary, although a small pour was enough for me.

3.4/5  rDev +0.6%

Chilled 12oz bottle into a glass. Thanks to semibaked for the trade.

A: Pours a glowing, burnt orange. The first half of the bottle is clear, but the latter half introduces sediment that makes the beer completely opaque. The head is an off-white finger of foam that retains decently. It leaves a thin collar on the beer. Except for the carbonation, this actually looks kind of like a Bloody Mary.

S: Like a number of other Short's beers, this one absolutely nails the aroma. It's very heavy on fresh roma tomatoes, pepper, dill, and yes, celery. Really vivid and well done.

T: It falls a bit flat here. The tomato flavor is well captured, but as it's a fermented beer, it doesn't have the heft you'd expect from something made with tomato juice. I admit that's expected, but I'm putting it forth as a criticism anyway. You can take the validity however you wish. It's quite salty, with a peppercorn and dill flavor dominating. Celery is washed away. More one-dimensional than the nose, all told.

M: It simply needs more heft to pass as a Bloody Mary comparison. As an imitation, I suppose it passes muster, but it's not hard to make one if you really want it. Since we're comparing a cocktail to a beer (as opposed to, say, a cake to a beer), my expectations of similarity are stronger.

D: I'm not going to pretend I loved it. If I want a Bloody Mary, I'll go with the real thing, as the texture of the tomatoes holds up better against pepper and hot sauce. But this is a close approximation of it in beer form. Certainly an interesting experiment.

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

Poured from 12oz beer.

A- Pours a hazed reddish burnt orange color. Half finger white head shows medium retention. No real lacing at all as it falls back into the beer. It looks pretty much what I figured it would as the name said.

S- Tomatoes are first and foremost the main aroma in the nose. There is light malts in the background toward the ending but are very faint. Horseradish and peppercorn are both in the aroma while the first is more apparent than the later.

T- Bloody Mary is what you can taste right off the bat. Tomatoes come in first in what to me seems like a tomatoe soup. Horseradish and peppercorn comes in next bringing up the final flavors of the Bloody Mary. Short's malt base does come through a little more in the flavor than in the aroma. Tomatoes come back through in the ending and there is no alcohol at all to be tasted.

M- Medium-heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is very light but it works out well for the beer. Bloody Mary is all I can taste from what was left on the palate to long into the aftertaste. The flavors on this were well balanced to what it said it was on the label. No off flavors were present while drinking this. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This beer was a fantastic new beer to try from Short's. I really enjoy Bloody Mary's so this beer works out well for me. The ABV on this beer is very high but you can not taste it at all. Another knockout beer from Short's in my opinion.

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

I've been looking forward to this for awhile. Cracked open while researching tomatoes. Did you know that they're native to South America (not Europe/ Italy) and were spread around the world when the Spanish colonized the Americas? Anyway...

A. Pours a clear orange with the slightest whisp of carbonation. After pouring the residual beer from the bottom of the bottle, I finally understand where the other reviewers are coming from. The beer becomes slightly darker with lots of specks that create a haziness.

S. Smells mostly of horseradish and dill. There's a very vegetal/ earthy smell that I assume comes from the tomatoes. I'm very surprised that the tellicherry doesn't come through on the nose.

T. Dill is biggest at the start, leading into horseradish, with tomatoes and tellicherry finishing it off. Lots of V8 vegetable flavors going on here. After letting it warm / tongue fatigue, the dill starts to lighten up and the beer becomes that much more drinkable. I think I'm beginning to really like this, but still recommend the changes mentioned below.

M. Quite thick with a high level of carbonation to try to keep this from sticking to the palate too much. It sticks in your mouth like a bloody mary, which I guess they might have been going for, but more likely it's because of the high protein levels they got out of the tomatoes.

D. I'm a fan of a good bloody mary - one of the best excuses to drink with breakfast. I also love V8 (especially the spicy kind). That said I expected to love this, but it fell a bit short. IMHO they should back off on the dill and ramp up the tellicherry. That should help push the flavor more toward a good bloody mary. It would be nice if they could somehow decrease the viscosity as well and back off on the carbonation a bit. That said, I'm happy I got to try this and will certainly try it again in the future if I can.

1.52/5  rDev -55%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. Thanks to steebo777 for the bottle!

(A)- Pours a clear orange color that produced some white bubbles.

(S)- This smells like a vegetable and herb garden put-together. Earthy tomatoes and spices. Very weird but interesting.

(T)- Very veggie oriented with a very heavy dose of dill and pepper spice.

(M)- A good carbonation level. This is just plain weird. Its like they mashed up a veggie and herb garden and brewed it with a really simple base beer. Bitter, spicy, and tomatoes.

(D)- If someone can enjoy this, then all the power to you, however this for me almost activates a gag reflex. I realize this was made to try and depict a bloody mary, but at the same time you REALLY gotta like dill because it is really overwhelming in this.

1.38/5  rDev -59.2%

This was brought out by Normyk at his house while we were all over there for a tasting on 3/5/11. I must say, I probably was the only one super excited to try this one. I guess my curiosity is much more morbid than most. For the record, I absolutely HATE bloody marys. A good early morning cocktail? Yeah, if you like to start your day with nausea.

About 3 oz into a sampler tulip. Trust me 3 oz was enough to review this one. Its a sipper, but for unique reasons.

A- Others commented on the floaties in this beer. Floaty might be a different term than I would use because it doesnt look like some bottle conditioning yeast got mixed into the pour. Its more like "sporadic haziness". This beer would be clear if it werent for tons of grains of what looks like salt suspended in its body. Maybe this beer comes pre-garnished with undissolved celery salt. I dunno, its bizarre.

S- Geeeze. Another instance where my nose is telling my brain to avoid consuming this stuff at all costs. True, it does smell a lot like a bloody mary, but its just a shame that bloody marys smell like the trash can outside a vegan's house. Plenty of Tabasco, which is fine, but then there comes a time and a place for Tabasco. There is also lots of dill. Pickles, man! Tomato juice or V-8 with lots of salt and pepper.

T- Before my brain shifts into fight-or-flight mode, I take a sip. The first one was too quick, ripping-off-a-band-aid style. I slowed it down, thinking of all the starving children in the world. Some mixed vegetable juice builds the body of the flavor, a rancid pedestal on which pickle juice flavoring stands. The dill accosts my palate like a soccer hooligan who's drunk on fermented trash.

M- Ironically I found the mouthfeel to be the worst part of this beer. The whole time drinking this I was still able to tell myself that they reached their goal of making a bloody mary beer, despite how gross it is.
But what would a gross beer be without a thoroughly gross mouthfeel? This one brings it. People talk about slick mouthfeels, this one is SLIMY. For a comparison, go deep inside an underground cave and just start licking the walls, paying close attention to the big, sweaty stalactites hanging from the ceiling.

D- What the dill were they thinking!?

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

A- Pours a murky reddish, golden orange color with quite a bit of floaters and a fairly thin white head. Head has a bit of retention and left no lacing.

S- Smell is horse radish, tomatos and a bit of malts, but the malts are pretty faint.

T- I picked up a peppery spice that I must of missed in the nose. Has more of a food like feel to it than a beer. Tomatos are here, along with horse radish and a bit of a very light funky feel to it. Not like a sour funk just something completely odd that just plain incredibly different to every other beer that I've had. Saw that this one is listed at 8.5 abv, pretty surprised by this and thought it was very well hidden.

M- Medium in body and a fairly good amount of carbonation.

D- Better than some of the crazy beers that I've been able to try from Shorts, but I still don't think I could drink to many of these.

2.58/5  rDev -23.7%

I am not going to lie; I am kind of horrified going into this one. What a strange combination of ingredients; Roma tomatoes, peppercorn and horseradish. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. This one pours a hazy orange that turns into a blood orange when all the sediment from the bottom of the bottle enters the glass. A small off-white head rises from the pour and quickly dispels. No lacing is left on the sides of the glass but with a swirl soapy suds cover the sides and slink their way downwards.

The nose is spicy, sweet and slightly acidic. Maybe it is in my head but I feel like I can smell the tomato, the peppercorn and horseradish.

The taste is...different. It is like a Bloody Mary mix with a beer base, not vodka. Pepper, horseradish and stewed tomatoes work together in this one. I think I'll stick to the vodka to be honest. Shorts has successfully integrated all the flavors of the Bloody Mary into this beer so kudos for that, but it is just not for me unfortunately.

Medium bodied with a strong spiciness throughout and good carbonation.

I am struggling to finish this bottle. I am not ready to write off Shorts because of this one beer as I have heard far too many great things about them, but this one didn't do it.

3.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Got this as an extra in a trade. Not sure how I feel about tomatoes and beer, but I'll give it a chance. 12oz bottle...

A: A murky copper color with a tiny off white head that fades quickly to a bubbly lace. Decent.

S: I get some tomato and olive scents upfront with a quick earthy hop in the middle. A hint of rye on the backend. Decent.

T: I get some celery and tomato rye upfront with some spices in the middle and a hint of brown sugar hidden on the back. Ok.

M: Medium body with a medium carbonation. A peppery finish. Good.

D: The strange flavors kind of make this weird. Goes down decent.

All in all, this is a strange beer. Maybe it's just the thought of what was in it, but the taste is lacking. Just a weird array of flavors. Try if you want something different.

Bloody Beer from Short's Brewing Company