2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 09-06-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 182 | Reviews: 94 | Show All Ratings:
orangesol

2.35/5  rDev -30.5%

Got this as an extra in a recent trade. Poured into a mini pint.

A - Pours pale yellow, with some red accents mixed in, with little to no head leaving no lacing down the glass.

S - Some course ground black pepper and horseradish heat up front mix with the tomato's, a good amount of them, to make it seem like a bloody mary. I would say it smells closer to a 50/50 mix of beer and bloody mary.

T - Well that was about as good as I thought it would be. Plenty of tomato pulp and skins, spicy black pepper and horseradish, and some dill and other herbs. This one really did a number on my pallet. I am not a fan of this one.

M - Medium light body with heavy, viscous, flavors; moderate carbonation. The over the top flavors wore my pallet down quite quickly.

D - One and done. I was not a fan. I love pizza and bloody mary's but this one really didn't do it for me. I still wanna try some of the other short's beers before I pass judgement on them but this was not a good start.

02-03-2011 21:40:52 | More by orangesol
beachbum1975

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Urbancaver, you are my hero. Thanks again getting me this Short's beer!

Pours a cloudy, reddish copper to cherry in color with a small white fizzy head. Head retention is lacking leaving a small halo and swirling of head as it sits idle in my Sam Adams perfect pint.

Smells like V8 with mild malts. Tomatoes and celery on the nose.

This beer is surprisingly tomato-forward flavored. The tomato flavor pierces away with salt and celery in the flavor profile. Almost watery at times with butter qualities and pepper; all pleasant if you are a fan of Bloody Mary's like I am.

Creamy carbonation and bubbly in the mouth.

For what it is, it's very unique and well made! I enjoy drinking V8 and this is like a nice, milder/alcoholic version!

01-11-2011 03:46:00 | More by beachbum1975
portia99

2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

12oz bottle received from jpmclaug in a recent trade. Poured into a Brooklyn snifter. This beer scares me a bit...not much of a bloody mary fan....so - deep breath, and let's give it a try.

A - Pours with major particlulate in the body with spoils a bit an otherwise pretty red/orangey light amber color. A thin collar surrounds the edge of the glass although nothing resembling a head ever formed on top of this beer.

S - An odd combination of herbs/spices...I pick up black pepper and celery most of all, but the tomatoes certainly can't be ignored...and maybe just got this from reading the label, but I also can detect a bit of horseradish in there too. Not much can be said for finding any typical beer aromas here.

T - Buttery, celery, tomato juice, pepper, a bit of malt underneath all of this. Can't say this is much of a surprise, given the name and the stated ingredients. A noticeable horseradish tingle/burn? felt on the back of the throat. I'm trying hard to give this a shot, but it really isn't hitting me at all...as I said, not a bloody mary lover at all though.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Loaded with flavors that I'm not accustomed to having in beer, or any other beverage (mostly by choice as I typically stay away from the vegetable based juices/drinks). Horseradish tingle into the aftertaste.

D - Well, I'm pretty sure that I won't be coming back to this one again. I definitely appreciate the unique effort put forth on this one and also the opportunity to give it a shot. Suffice to say, this isn't up my alley at all. I'm not the best judge of this given my flavor preferences, so take this review with a grain of salt.

01-07-2011 02:37:02 | More by portia99
PittBeerGirl

3.38/5  rDev 0%

Thanks Jim for the chance to try this!

A- Body is a murky light orangeish/reddish pink hue. Pours with a 1 finger or so off white head that fades to a thick collar and little to no lacing is left behind in the glass. Many tiny particles are suspended throughout the brew and collected on the bottom-indeed a bloody beer.

S- pale malt, vegetable juice (V8 like but not as thick), salt-well there you have it-what else to expect from a bloody mary beer?

T- Salt comes through the most initially with some tomato and celery over a pale malt base. A hint of pilsner like flavor comes through for the finish along with more salt and celery, and a mild peppery spice. A hint of salt and pilsner flavor linger.

M- Medium to high carbonation and a light, crisp and drinkable body-salt is minimal.

D- I was pleasantly surprised by this brew. The thought of a bloody mary beer scared me-but this is light, drinkable, and impressionistic. Its everything I like about a bloody mary without the gross tomato paste consistency. Job well done by shorts. This is 8.5%? No I dont believe that. Unfortunately-as I drink it-the novelty wears off and it becomes more cloying 7-8oz is great 8-10 is plenty 10-12oz is way too much

01-06-2011 00:40:26 | More by PittBeerGirl
jera1350

3.73/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Bill at Princeton Liquors for letting me sample this!

Pours a rosy orange color with all kinds of particles suspended about. Looks like tomato pulp. Pretty minimal head.

Smells along the lines of a bloody mary or tomato juice. Getting some herbal notes and acidic tomato.

Tastes exactly like a bloody mary mixed with a light beer. Getting the tomato juice white pepper and celery salt. Very interesting and actually pretty tasty as long as you understand what it's meant to be.

Light body, very little carbonation.

I couldn't see having more than one of these, but it would be better on a warm day. I must admit that Short's really pulled this one off. It tastes like a bloody mary beer. Very unique and worth sampling for the novelty of it if nothing else. Glad to have tried it.

01-05-2011 16:58:12 | More by jera1350
nodaybuttoday08

4.22/5  rDev +24.9%

I love this beer, though it's definitely not your typical beer.

The taste reminds me of drinking vegetable or tomato juice, which is why I think it's such a drinkable beer. It's completely unique, not hoppy, and full of tomato-y goodness. I saw several reviews comparing it to a bloody mary, and I find that to be fairly accurate. At 8.5% ABV, it's hard to complain.

I should add that, although I drank this beer several months ago and have had many others since then, I cannot get it out of my head and look forward to having another.

12-23-2010 01:11:27 | More by nodaybuttoday08
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams pint glass. I chilled this in the refrigerator a while before opening.

Appearance: Cloudy dark orange to light red in color. Not much of a head on the pour. Leaves a nice lacing throughout drinking.

Aroma: Strong stewed tomato notes really stand out here. A touch of horseradish and dill are here too. I'm a bit surprised here at the amount of tomato present. Nice balance of savory and herbal while still maintaining qualities of beer.

Taste: Peppercorn spice hits here pretty hard. The tomato is significantly more subued. A touch of herbal bitterness here too (not sure if its from hops or a side effect of the peppercorns. Some nice smooth malt notes here too. I was surprised at how well the Bloody Mary flavors were integrated without the beer struggling to find a flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a little syrupy, but with enough carbonation to stay lively.

Drinkability: The ABV really feels lower than 8.5% and the flavors are certainly not offputting. I still just cannot imagine more than one as it is sort of a novelty beer.

Overall, a pleasant surprise that integrated the Bloody Mary with beer quite well. The flavors were enjoyable and subdued but I do wish that the tomato played a more significant role in the flavor, not just the aroma.

12-09-2010 00:13:31 | More by Gosox8787
flexabull

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle courtesy of mikesgroove, thanks again!

Pours a light orange color with a faint white head.

Aromas are of light tomato, hints of horseradish, and pepper.

Taste is way more mellow than I thought they would be. Mellow tomato, hints of horseradish, and a touch of peppercorn. Light cream malt flavors and not much else. This really just tastes like a light amber ale with subtle hints of bloody mary flavors.

Mouthfeel is decent, some fullness, and mildly crisp carbonation.

Drinkability is ok. This is an easy to drink beer, mellow bloody mary flavors that are mixed with mild amber beer flavors. Not bad, but I was hoping for a lot better.

11-26-2010 05:37:35 | More by flexabull
glid02

Georgia

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours a murky copper-red color with a half-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of huge amounts of tomatos with moderate amounts of peppery spices.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Slightly salt-like malt flavors with large amounts of ripe tomato flavors kick things off. Pepper-like spices come into play midway through the sip and carry through to a nondescript ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is not great. Finishing my glass wasn't the easiest thing in the world and I wouldn't want to do it again.

Overall I probably ranked this higher than most others but for a vegetable beer I can't imagine it being any better. That being said, the drinkability reflects my thoughts on how much I could have of this beer. Very interesting for curiousity's sake just know what you're getting into.

11-22-2010 02:39:25 | More by glid02
jamie2dope

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

Many thanks to Mikesgroove for sending me this extra, which has been one I have been after for a while. The color on this beer is an impressive pinkish red, with just a small amount of lacing. You really can smell the tomatoes here, along with some spice, much like a bloody mary smells. The similarities to the bloody mary aren't as clear in the taste, but ya still get a good dose of those tomatoes and spice. Mouthfeel is medium in body, and the 8.5 ABV is not apparent at all. Drinkability loses some points only because it is such an out there brew, and therefor one is more than enough. I tried this beer on tap a couple years ago, and was blown away by the creativity it showcased. Fans of the cocktail like myself should seek this out. Another winner from Shorts line of beers that push the smell and flavor limits. Cheers

11-20-2010 00:02:44 | More by jamie2dope
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

Poured into pils glass.

Pours a light layer of white head. Color is murky hazed burnt rustic orange.

Aroma: Pretty close to a bloody mary. Peppers, tomatoes, celery flavors, and a bit of hot sauce. Pretty unique. I like it.

Taste: It tastes like a lighter bodied bloody mary. It has all the flavors, just a thinner feel to it. Tomato juice, hot sauce, crushed black pepper, celery sticks, and a hint of olives. This is pretty awesome.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and clean. Light to medium bodied with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry with some more spice.

Overall, this is a pretty awesome beer. I enjoy bloody marys and this compared well to one for being a beer. This is one I would like to see around MN. Thanks Dave for sending this one out!

11-18-2010 23:32:59 | More by mothman
kbutler1

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Pours a reddish hued cloudy color with a slight white head. Haahaha, the smell is just like a bloddy mary with spice. This beer is very interesting. It's very much like a tomato vs. spice forward bloddy mary that is a little watered down. Pepper, tomato, and celery dominate both the flavor and the nose. Personally, if I want a Bloody Mary, I get the standard with vodka but as a beer that is trying to mimic a bloody, it does a really good job. Probably just a touch too much pepper for me. Great morning beer but not sure if I could ever drink more than one. Medium mouthfeel.

11-18-2010 23:32:22 | More by kbutler1
Reaper16

Alabama

3.6/5  rDev +6.5%

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours an awkward darkish yellow. There is a bit of red after the sediment from the bottom of the bottle gets poured in. Cloudy red, like a blood fart. Meh. Not bad.

Let this one warm up. The aromas and flavors absolutely pop with some warmth. Lots of savory tomatoes. Basil, dill pickle. Horseradish absolutely pops out of the glass. The aromas are pretty nicely achieved but the flavors are stupendous. I say this as someone who doesn't even like bloody marys. Short's has nailed what they're trying to achieve here. So much horseradish and tomato spicy/savory goodness. I could never finish a bottle myself, but plenty of people are going to want to.

I have to score the drinkability as average. I have to. It's my own fault for not liking bloody marys. For someone who doesn't, this beer is crazy undrinkable. For those who love them, this will be a pleasant drink (though I don't know why they wouldn't just opt for a real bloody mary. The malt flavors are totally obscured by the spices and tomato). I evened it out to a 3.0.

Strange, but successful, experimental beer. I would love to try their Key Lime Pie beer now that I know Short's can pull off something like this.

11-18-2010 22:30:19 | More by Reaper16
klikger

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Cloudy dark amber with a touch of red, tons of visible sediment (i.e., individual particles), decent head which shrinks quickly, fair lacing

S - Tomato juice, yeast, pepper, and celery salt

T - Tomatoes, garlic --> pickles, horseradish, salt & pepper --> yeast and grainy malts --> Robust tomato juice & citrus hops on the back end, resulting in a rich, soupy, pleasantly bitter finish.

M - Body isn't thick, but there is definitely some chewiness. Good carbonation. The variety of flavors in this reward swishing around in the mouth.

D - This is so tasty that one is perfect to savor. That said, if I had regular access, having a couple wouldn't be a problem - again, I'm a Bloody Mary fan, so I'm biased.

What an interesting beer! If you're a fan of Bloody Marys, you need to try this. Short's has pulled off a bona fide replacement beer for my favorite mixed drink - I'll revisit this whenever given the opportunity. And I'll be adding dried habanero flakes or powder - adds heat without ruining the flavor.

11-09-2010 22:19:27 | More by klikger
nickadams2

3.65/5  rDev +8%

A_Burnt orange with a thin white head. No lacing. Red floaties. Im guessing tomato peel.

S_Smell is exactly that of a bloody mary. Tomato juice,celery seed,pepper and alcohol.

T_Same as nose. Tomato,celery seed, pepper,horseradish.Very bold flavor. Sligh heat.

M_A little thicker than I would prefer.

D_One is good enough for me.

Not much of a bloody Mary man myself. Actually I don't drink any liquor at all. But this beer is spot on for what shorts was aiming for.

11-06-2010 06:59:26 | More by nickadams2
JordanEllwanger

4.05/5  rDev +19.8%

A dark amber pumpkin orange color with a slight off white head covering a plethora of still floating sediment like pieces of fruit in a jello mold. Celery salt, peppercorn, and dill waft into the nose very defiantly giving you the impression of a double dog dare from the sent to sample the flavor. A very subtle yet still very upfront amount of spice in this. Short's is really good at combining spices without leaving too much of a spice heartburn in my throat. It is my guess that the horseradish is to blame for the burn that rises as the tomato taste that lingers after the initial spice blast resides. It is quit considerable in its thickness being a beer. I don't think I could drink more than one in a row of these, but for what it is it is a well made beer.
Cheers.

11-02-2010 05:14:18 | More by JordanEllwanger
WeisGuy

3.03/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz bottle of the 2010 release shared by sarro - thanks, Kyle!

Pours a hazy, burnt orange color with a light white head that sticks around on the edges only. Not much by way of lacing. Smells like, well, a bloody mary. Tomato juice and celery seed dominate, but you can really pick up the horseradish, cracked pepper and dill as well. Taste is much the same with tomato juice and celery seed up front and the dill and cracked pepper on the midpalate. The horseradish really shows up in the finish with more spicy tomato juice and celery seed lingering on the finish. Light bitterness with some spice on the finish make it rather unpleasant for me. This could be because I don't care much for tomato juice/bloody marys, but I really disliked the finish. Surprisingly light-bodied with moderate carbonation and a balanced finish. There is a light boozy warmth on the palate. For me, this is not very drinkable at all - I labored to get through my 4 oz. pour. I think Short's did a pretty good job at replicating a bloody mary in beer form here, but there is just something that really awkward and off-putting about the flavors. Worth a try for novelty even if you don't like bloody marys, but you should definitely seek this out if you are a fan of the drink.

11-02-2010 00:55:54 | More by WeisGuy
revolt914

Colorado

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%

Wow... this beer is extremely interesting! I poured this one and I smelled it and was taken back by it. Needless to say I'm glad I tried this one but definitely don't want another one. It was everything I expected... pretty much a good beer spilled into a good bloody mary... To most if a beer spilled into your bloody mary you'd dump it but this is the case where it happened and you though, 'maybe I should just go ahead and drink it?' and then you did.

10-31-2010 11:19:14 | More by revolt914
otto251068

Tennessee

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a Rochefort chalice.

Appearance: Beer pours a golden color till the glass fills up a little more, then turns into a dark pumpkin color. Plenty of small bits of sediment at the bottom of this bottle which stay suspended. This beer is pretty transparent. Tiniest bit of head after a hard pour which dissipates after a few seconds. No lacing.

Smell: Going to take my time with this one. Strong odor of fresh stewed tomatoes. Celery, fresh ground black pepper. Plenty of herbal notes.

Taste: Lots of tomatoes right off the bat. A warm and lively flavor. Wow, impressive. Plenty of herbal spices, dill pickles, finishes with a nice dash of pepper, a little alcohol. I don't get any heat, no horseradish or tabasco. Good taste though.

Mouthfeel: Light body with a medium carbonation. Taste lingers for a while. There is significant sour taste in the back of my throat that I'm not crazy about.

Overall: Same as a bloody mary for me. One and done. It would be tough for me to drink two of these. Gotta give it up to Shorts though for always coming up with new beers that push the envelope and our taste buds.

10-30-2010 22:51:10 | More by otto251068
malty

3.95/5  rDev +16.9%

An ultra-fresh 12 oz. bottle recently released.

Pours a dirty light copper with very good clarity. The very light beige head stays sturdy at 1" with a beautiful density & creaminess. Nice rings of lace all the way down.

Very, very accurate representation of scents which are listed on the bottom of the front label; Roma tomatoes, peppercorns, celery seed & dill. Horseradish is also listed, but I'm not smelling that one. Let's hope I can taste it.

Very peppery (just how I prefer my bloody's) with a nice dill element in there. The tomatoes are very well-rounded and almost stewed tasting - in that the acidity is nicely cut/quelled. The celery seed is very realistic/accurate and very well placed in this mixture. As this beer warms, the horseradish does come out right at the end. I believe Short's didn't want the Horseradish to steal the show, and they've done a great job in placing it last.

Mouthfeel is very airy and pretty spot-on medium bodied. Carbonation is very fine and at a moderate level. The lush, SAVORY tomato flavors and all its glorious spices linger long into the finish.

Drinkability is very good for such an odd specialty beer. I will have no problem drinking this, but will not long for another right after.

Overall this beer a spectacular representation of the listed ingredients. There is nothing fake or contrived tasting about this ale. The ingredients taste very high quality and are all perfectly balanced. Just like the Strawberry Short's Cake, this baby really delivers what it's advertised to be. To fully appreciate the quality craftsmanship that is Short's, you should really try to get a hold of these and experience the quirky and spectacular world of Short's.

10-26-2010 00:51:44 | More by malty
alexgash

Connecticut

12 oz. bottle.

Hazy, particulate-filled blood orange body with a small, gauzy, off-white head. A very much expected interesting nose: lots of peppercorns, definite tomato juice (sans salt), a little dill, and some vague maltiness. It is what we thought it was!

Brief bready maltiness quickly gives way to tomato juice pulpiness. Spicy peppercorns and tangy dill fill out the palate. Herbal, vegetal bitterness mixes with the peppery spiciness nicely. Lingering tomato in the finish. Good umami in this beer! Medium-full body with a pulpy feel. Well-executed and spot on for what it wants to be. Definitely not an everyday, session beer, but it has its place. I feel like this would pair nicely with pizza, or simply with a late morning hangover. Keep up the great original work Shorts!

10-21-2010 02:02:02 | More by alexgash
kzoobrew

2.63/5  rDev -22.2%

I think we can safely say this is the worlds best tomato beer.

Hazy tomato stained golden yellow body. Two finger white cap with limited retention. Spotty lacing, nothing to write home about.

Not surprisingly Blood Beer smells a lot like a Bloody Mary. Tomato base with all the appropriate spices. Dill, celery and a bit of horseradish are evident. Blindfolded and smelling this I would be hard pressed not to call it a bloody mary mix, although a slightly weaker version.

Tomato, horseradish, dill and peppercorn roll out the glass and across the tongue. Though getting a head of my self a bit, carbonated bloody mary's are not for me, slight seltzer water flavor hangs on the back of the tongue throwing me off. This tastes like Short's Local's Light blended with a bloody mary. Simple may be the best description here.

Light bodied with lively carbonation.Tomato and spice flavor cling to the tongue for a moderately long finish.

I love Short's, this beer is just not for me. Flavors work well in a cocktail but not a beer. The creativity and willingness to experiment should be applauded. With as many homers as this brewery has hit I cannot be too disappointed in one swing and miss. Worth a try, other may appreciate Bloody Beer more than I.

10-18-2010 23:01:20 | More by kzoobrew
surlytheduff

3.65/5  rDev +8%

Drank out of pint glass. I really like the look of this beer, once poured and settled. It's a golden-deep orange color, that looks like it has a reddish tint (maybe power of suggestion of imagining the tomatoey taste). Had a nice one inch head after pour, but the neat thing is holding up to light after it's calmed down and seeing the column of suspended essence (spices and whatnot).

Somehow I think sampling this for the first time at 11:00 pm is a bit of a disservice - to me, bloody marys are meant for the morning. In any case the initial take on sticking my nose in the glass is V-8 hopped up on dill, with pepperycorns and horseraddishness quite evident.

Taking the first drink, and my mouth momentarily short circuited. Beer..tomato juice...pickles..really a pleasant chaotic mix. I don't get any of the horseraddish that I smelt.

It has a good mouthfeel to it, and went down easily.

I don't think I could drink multiples of this in a sitting, but it is a pretty awesome way to break up the pleasant monotony of whatever is your normal comfort range of beers.

10-16-2010 03:02:47 | More by surlytheduff
a74gent

3.38/5  rDev 0%

New 12 oz release...I think these bottlings of the Imperial series like this one and black licorice should have separate ratings from the originals because of the ABV, but it doesn't seem to be the trend so here we go.

Not sure what to expect from this one as I don't drink Bloody Marys.

The appearance is a nice hazy light amber variable hued monster with floating tomatoe specks if you look very closely and poured vigorously.

The smell is mostly peppercorns. Maybe a little tomato maybe a little dill/celery.

The taste is somewhat overpowering to me although not bad. The palate feels a bit bruised after a few mouthfuls. I don't get any horseradish at all which is the flavor I was most looking forward to.

Mouthfeel is ok..what you'd expect with a decent amount of bubbly.

I don't think this is all that fabulous. Feels overdone to me...I can see where some folks would like it though. I have a raging suspicion that it is going to complement some pizza very well here in a minute though.

10-09-2010 16:24:01 | More by a74gent
webmanspidey

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

25.6 oz bottle poured into large snifter. Pours a dark copper orange color, fizzy with medium head.

Smell has a strong presence of dill, celery, and tomato.. very sour and vinegary. Reminiscent of a salad dressing.

Taste is peppery and spicy, with more hints of tomato and dill. Horseradish has a strong presence as well. Finishes slightly bitter. Excellent drinkability, wouldn't have trouble finishing the whole bottle.

A very interesting concept for a beer.

06-13-2010 00:32:15 | More by webmanspidey