Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 09-06-2007)
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev +8%

Two and a half years old, I am having this beer, courtesy of Steven. It slightly looks but very much tastes of a Bloody Mary. The pickled aspect has taken over, fortunately, and I am easily able to enjoy this with my wife's salad. Therefore vegetable aromas, a bit pickle, a look of cloudy orange. Average and a bit oily mouthfeel. Decent drinkability but not something I could have nightly.

07-09-2012 02:29:36 | More by Sammy

freehafe

02-09-2012 00:11:56 | More by freehafe
TheStove

3.48/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a mini pint glass. Pours a cloudy amber with a slight head. Smells light and fruit almost like a hefeweizen but with hints of V8. Subsequent smells yield a more consistent tomato aroma.

Sips nice and spicy almost like a wit but with noticeable tomato overtones. Slight bit of heat (likely from the horseradish) brings up the back end with the hop bitterness. Belgiany mouthfeel makes it zip on your tongue. It leaves an oddly enjoyable lingering flavor of a delicious spaghetti dinner on the tongue between sips.

This one is pretty easy in my book. If you're a traditionalist and this grosses you out, keep your nose in whatever you like to drink. If you enjoy experiments and interesting beers, this carbonated V8 likely knocks it out of the park for you. I'll concede I probably couldn't have too many of these but credit is due to Shorts for again pushing the boundaries of craft brewing.

02-02-2012 05:13:16 | More by TheStove

McCranky

12-05-2011 22:22:16 | More by McCranky
DannyDan

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%

A. Pours out a red amber hue with a thin white head that leaves minimal retention and lacing, but has decent carbonation.
S. Smells similar to a bloody mary.
T. The taste starts out with some peppercorn and other spices followed by a tomato taste and finishes off with some floral and citrus hops that seem to ruin the taste of the other ingredients.
M. Sticky and the sweet tomato taste clings to the lips and tongue.
O. Not something that I would drink again, but it is made good for what it is and do think that if the hops at the end of the taste were more balanced it be the perfect drink for bloody mary lovers.

12-03-2011 07:44:48 | More by DannyDan
Alieniloquium

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. The last of the set of Short's beers from MarcatGSB.

Appearance - Pours a deep orange color with a small, fleeting white head. I expected a redder color. Again, Short's beers have no head retention.

Smell - Smells like a subdued Bloody Mary. Tomatoes are the strongest, but it has it's fair share of light malt aromas. A little bready from the malt. I get a huge whiff of the celery, too.

Taste - The tomato isn't as prominent in the flavor as it is in the aroma. A lot more of the spices come through. The celery and peppercorns in particular. No horseradish, which might be a good thing. Finishes pretty clean with only some remnants of tomato lingering.

Mouthfeel - A little bit heavy, but otherwise a nice body. Well carbonated and no offensive flavors are putting me off.

Overall - Well, it does exactly what it set out to do. It's a Bloody Mary beer. It's pretty spot on, but the jury is still out on whether it's a flavor combination that's absolutely necessary in a beer.

11-30-2011 01:33:34 | More by Alieniloquium
RudiNicole

11-29-2011 19:37:31 | More by RudiNicole
GRG1313

11-27-2011 02:35:13 | More by GRG1313
StoutHunter

3.65/5  rDev +8%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Bloody Beer last week for $2.49 at The Lager Mill. I have been wanting to try this beer for a while since I am a fan of Bloody Mary's and I thought I had missed out on this years release, but luckily my brother spotted one hidden deep in a cooler so I knew I had to give it a try, so let's see how this crazy beer goes. No visible bottling date, but I know its about a month old. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it's drawn really well and suits this beer nicely. This beer poured a nice redish amber color with two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end.

S-H It smells similar to a Bloody Mary, but not nearly as in your face as I thought it would be. It starts off with a sweet malty aroma mixed with Roma Tomatoes, the combination makes for a very unique aroma. Next comes the dill which is pretty noticeable and another aroma that I can't quite put my finger on but I think it might be the celery seed. It kind of smells similar to Nicie Spicie with the added aromas of tomatoes and dill.

T- Wow this is one unusual tasting beer. It starts off with the malty base of this beer which I find to be very similar to Nicie Spicie, I wouldn't be surprised if they used a version of that for the base of this beer. Next comes the tomatoes which aren't as bold as I thought they would be, but the lighter flavor blends nicely with the malt base. After that comes the spices with dill being the most noticeable and there was also some peppercorns and what I assume to be celery seed. I could use more spice in this beer, the peppercorns are nice and noticeable but I don't pick up any Horseradish in this beer, if it had more heat to it and a bolder tomato taste it would be exactly like the cocktail. The finish was a little malty with some tomatoes and dill on the finish and in the aftertaste.

M- Smooth, on the full side of being medium bodied and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked pretty good with this beer, I think that if it was thicker like the cocktail is it would really hurt the drinkability.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good Experimental beer from Short's. It wasn't exactly like drinking a Bloody Mary, but I would say it is a good attempt at making a Bloody Mary in beer form, Experimental beers should still taste somewhat like a beer and this one does. For a beer like this it has pretty good drinkability, some of these experimental beers don't go down to smooth but this one does, I am splitting this with my brother, but if I had a full bottle to myself I don't think I would have a problem finishing it. What I liked most about this beer was the flavor, it was a Bloody Mary in beer form, just what it claimed to be, and what I wanted it to be. What I liked least about this beer was the lack of spiciness, I like my Bloody Mary's spicy, and this beer wasn't spicy, I wish the Horseradish was noticeable and added some heat to this beer. I will for sure be buying a six pack of this if it is released next year, it seems like it would make a great warm weather beer, too bad it only comes out in the fall, it would be nice to have this released in July. If weird and unique beers are your thing then you need to give this beer a try, I don't think you have to love Bloody Marys to like this beer, but it probably helps. This beer was unique, unusual. and pretty true to its name, and that is what I look for in Experimental beer for Short's. I really that fact that Short's takes a risk on beers like this and distributes them, I don't think there are many brewery's that could pull off a Bloody Mary beer, and if they did it would probably be draft only, I don't think they would be as confident as Short's is and sell it in six packs. Short's really has a gift when it comes to these off the wall Experimental beers and I am glad to have the chance to try as many as possible, keep up the good work guys, maybe a Mojito beer is in order.
Update- The 2012 batch has a litlle less roma tomato flavors with much more dill and celery seed showing up, my rating stays the same but i like the 2012 a litlle more than the 2011 release, it's such a crazy tasting beer.

11-26-2011 05:23:00 | More by StoutHunter