Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen) - Short's Brewing Company

Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen)Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen)

good

Ratings: 161 | Reviews: 52
Reviews by SuperNova777:
3.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Jeff for picking some of this up for me, wasn't able to find any in stores. Pours a somewhat muddy, orange-ish amber with copper highlights near the bottom of the glass. Mostly opaque with a slight translucency that clings to only the very edges of the glass. Even with a straight-down pour, the head is nothing but a tiny white skin that recedes quickly to a ring - somewhat strange considering the style is typically carbonated heavier.

Lots of ginger on the nose. Quite a bit more than I was even expecting, actually, despite the name of the beer and everything. Ginger is a pretty potent spice, however, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. The use of hefewiezen yeast is also very apparent from the aroma - it's got that nice and warming "peppery-clove" combo. From an aromatic standpoint, the amount of fruit or sweetness detectable is pretty low, aside from maybe a touch thanks to the malt.

Hah, I thought the aroma was packed with ginger, but it's nothing compared to the taste. Almost like sucking on a ginger root. Ginger to the brim, and there's no doubt about that. Luckily the ginger isn't overly spicy or abrasive - something that almost always is a drawback of over-usage. It's heavy, but rather smooth and mellow as far as "spiciness" goes. The hefe yeast is back with a vengeance also - more clove and white pepper. The taste is giving me a fruity sweetness midway through that I wasn't picking up before - maybe bananas? It's got a light sugary element to it, too. Bitterness is low and I was shocked to find out that this was almost 8% ABV - barely detectable, drinks more like 4-5%. Medium mouth feel, the yeast adds a feigned "thickness" with a palate-coating finish.

Definitely a unique beer. Although I'm sure ginger has been used before, I can't think of many other ginger-infused hefeweizens. The capacity may have been a bit much - a little bit of ginger goes a long way, and by the end of the glass, it certainly takes a toll on your palate. Still goes down easy, and overall pretty tasty and different.

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%

Beer review from BA Mag Dec 2007.

American brewers have no problem at all with making styles their own, blending styles or coming up with a new style all together. Ginger in the Rye is a Rye Ale that uses rye malt and Munich malt, flavored with rye and fermented with the Weihenstephan yeast strain. So a slight hybrid of styles that drops deep into extreme beer land.

Frothing action is not shy and rises quickly to the top of the mug. Head retention is out of this world, dense rocky formations mimic thunderheads. Semi-clear shiny-brass color. The aroma of fresh ginger, spicy rye and a mildly phenolic yeast with hints of clove and bubble gum actually work when all together. Solid yet semi-fluffy medium body dons a big smoothness. Ginger comes in modest yet with each sip it grows a little bit more. Rye drops a bag of spice as does the yeast with a long trail of medicinal phenols. A hint of bubble gum and band-aid that feign a bitterness to balance the bit of sweetness on the palate. Finishes with yeasty undertones and a linger of rye and ginger.

Complex is not enough to describe the depth this beer has, a great beer before the main course of a long dinner or an appetite arouser to get the palate ready. This one is far into the depths of extreme beer.

3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

750ml bottle. #6 of 1104

Pours into my glass a deep, hazy amber orange and brings a big creamy massive foamy head. Tons of carbonation, maybe a bit too much. Head sticks around as I wait for it to fall a bit. Aromas start off with spicy rye grain notes alongside yeasty notes of clove, pepper and mellow banana. The ginger is there in the background although it seems to have faded a bit. Touch of bready, caramel almost. Pretty nice, though it's showing its age.

First sip brings a dry, crisp spicy rye malt upfront with accents of caramel sweetness and bread. It flows into weizen yeast accents of clove, pepper and mild fruity banana accents. Spicy/sweet ginger hits as the brew flows down the back of the palate. The brew finishes dry with a lingering spiciness. Just a touch of heat from the ginger. Quite an interesting, tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and dry with a rush of fast moving carbonation that comes with every sip. Goes down fairly easily, but this one is showing its age at this stage. I wish I could have had it fresh as I'm guessing the ginger flavor would have been brighter. Still, it's a tasty treat in a series of brews that I have really enjoyed so far.

3.31/5  rDev -9.1%

750 ml bottle

A - Pours a clear copper/orange with a massive three finger of-white head, even following a gentle pour. Head has amazing retention.

S - Subtle aroma of rye, a bit of ginger, some citrus and bread.

T - Taste starts with rye and citrus with a very faint tartness. Nice bready malt. Ginger only apparent on the finish. Some astringency on the finish unfortunately takes taste down a notch.

M - Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Again, the astringency on the finish knocks mouthfeel down a bit.

O - Overall, this seems to have held up pretty well, but the finish is a problem. Never had this fresh, but I would try it if they brewed it again. Another interesting one from Short's.

4.09/5  rDev +12.4%

A - No bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Pours a dark orange color that builds minimal head, less than a finger high. Doesn't stick around too long, either. Minimal lacing.

S - Ginger is very strong, but I can certainly pick up wheat sweetness, too.

T - Ginger is very flavorful, but the sweetness from the wheat counteracts it quite nicely. It's definitely a hefe, but I like the ginger twist. Normally, I don't really enjoy spiced beers, but Short's usually does it for me.

M - A lot more fizzy than the head lets on, it's tingly on the tongue. Well structured.

O - Prolly not something I'll seek out again, but it was certainly worth the intrigue.

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle from the brewery. This grew on me. Drinkable enough ginger, with the rye a little edgey and coming through mid-sip, with a softening hefe mouthfeel. Different tastes came through with different parts of lunch and the bottle was completely drained. Big head.

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Golden amber color with very little head at the sides of the glass. Slight lacing. Smell has ginger and lemon notes. I also sense a spicy, yeasty, piney smell. It has a very fresh and zesty smell. I really like it. I taste ginger and the banana and cloves. Finishes dry. Creamy, medium mouthfeel that's well carbonated. Overall, its good and I'm glad I got to try it.

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle 243 (of 1,104) from the 2007 bottle project. Purchased at the Bellaire brewpub in July 2009. Shared with ksak.

A: The weizen has held up nicely. It's brown amber color obscured by a general haziness. A thick white head, eggshell is more appropriate, is billowy and laces in spades.

S: Ginger is strong, dominant still after all these years. It's shy sweetness screams out for a wasabi dose. After the ginger, caramel and rye, along with phenolic fruits. Most everything struggles to stand out against the ginger.

T: More ginger, enough to leave its mark on the ale. After the initial dose (don't get me wrong, it never really subsides; rather it ebbs and flows), the maltiness, caramel and rye come through. The rye brings subtle carraway seeds and darker spices. Some wheat tart manages to get mixed up with the ginger. Mild phenols linger throughout, a little clove that pairs with the rye. An interesting ale - on first take I called it too old but that definitely isn't the case.

M: Lush, although often one-dimensional, the ale hasn't lost a step. The ginger is strong; the subtle rye a pleasant accompaniment.

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks Namarsha82. First Short's!

Appearance. Pours a hazy amber-gold with a thin, bubbly white head.

Smell. Raw fresh ginger, cloves, a little toasty grains and fruity yeast.

Taste. Some good fresh ginger, light spice and a hint of banana, slight sourness.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body with low carbonation.

Overall. Not your typical hefeweizen but it's refreshing and drinks so easy. I couldn't believe the abv listed for this. Was thinking it was a low alcohol session beer as I drank it.

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

Thanks Joel!

Looks pretty... typical Hefe appearance.

The ginger and wheat really work well together... I'm surprised that I haven't encountered this combination before. A little spicy, a little sweet.

Another winner from Short's in my opinion. Earthy spice and tang from the ginger that compliments that classic clove and cereal malt flavors that you'd expect from a good wheat beer.

hazy in color with a nice cap of white hanging over the top of the glass. Nice rich looking head of foam on the top of the glass here now as well, nicely done I have to say. Aroma immediately is a bit boozy with hints of grass, touches of hops, and a light fruit note that seems to pick up the warmer it gets. Interesting flavor profile as well here. Not at all what I was expecting. Hints of grapefruit, a touch of herbal, floral notes and a really nice and well laid out malty background. Quite nicely done I have to admit. Warming seems to bring out touches of pear and apricot and a definite grape flavor finishes it off rather nicely.

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I thought I liked this one at first but the ginger taste is just too much. I like ginger too. I guess it depends on the day and my taste buds. I picked up a 6-pak and I just want to get through it.

It looks nice and smells good but the domination of ginger overwhelms my mouth after awhile.
It is a different beer and I like the unusual flavors but I don't think I will try this one again.

Overall it was nice to try once but I won't go out of my way for this one in the future.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

What a bizarre old-ass beer from Short's. Love this place. Thanks, glazeman.

Appearance is legit - hazy orange with a nice white fluffy head with lots of retention.

Smell is ginger, funk, clove and cinnamon. Gooodness.

Taste is similar to the smell - juicy and spicy with a bitter finish. Very nice.

Overall, a good, fun beer from Short's. One of their better offerings for sure.

4.16/5  rDev +14.3%

750 ml Bottle served in a Tulip Glass (Tripel Karmeliet) Enjoyed on may´11
Pours reddish copper in color. Yellowish copious & rocky foam leaving a lot of lacing rings. Yeast, bread & ginger aromas. Mildy sour-sweet taste at first sip. Rye - dry bitterness-, black bread & butter flavors. Medium fairly well carbonated body mouthfeel. Non felt alcohol.Spices, ginger & apple hints aftertaste. Refreshing at a low temperature. Good drinkability.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had a pint of this as the imperial version at Shorts in Bellaire. Pronounced ginger taste, well balanced with the malts. I really look forward to this coming out in bottles each year. Most ginger brews are too subtle in the ginger taste for these old taste buds and I find this one A-OK.

4.27/5  rDev +17.3%

I picked up a six pack of Short's Ginger In The Rye a few weeks ago for $10.99 at The Lager Mill. I have been wanting to try this beer for a while so it was nice to hear that they were releasing it this year and I was lucky enough to get the last six pack at the store, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know that it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

A- I like the label, it's simple yet good looking, I like the lone ginger rhizome coming up from the grass it looks good. It poured a slightly orange golden color with a finger and a half worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end. It looks OK and like a traditional Hefeweizen.

S- The aroma is pretty potent and somewhat complex. It starts out with that traditional Hefeweizen base that imparts some typical banana, lemon, clove and a slight bubblegum aroma from the yeast. Then comes the ginger which sticks out pretty nicely and it smells similar to the pickled ginger you get at a good sushi restaurants. At the end I pick up some nice spicy rye aromas and a very slight earthy hop aroma. The is a good smelling beer with a heavy ginger aroma.

T- The taste of this beer is very similar to the aroma. It starts off with that Hefeweizen base that imparts some light banana, clove, and bubblegum flavors that you would normally get in a Hefeweizen they are just a little lighter. In the middle I pick up the ginger which is pretty potent tasting and tastes pretty fresh and vibrant. After that comes a pretty noticeable lemon flavor that is followed by a nice dose of spicy rye that adds a nice spicy element to this beer and adds to the complexity. The finish is a little dry with a low amount of bitterness with an aftertaste of ginger and rye. The flavors are true to the name, bold, but not overdone or overly ginger.

M- Smooth, slightly creamy, slightly dry, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is very Hefeweizen like and works well with this beer.

Overall I thought that this was a pretty damn good beer and a very interesting take on a Hefeweizen. This beer had three major components that all showed up nicely and didn't really overpower each other. This beer has OK drinkability but I think the flavor would wear on me after having a couple so it's not the kind of beer I can session but it does go down smooth and is refreshing, this would make a good summertime beer. What I like most about this beer was the flavor and aroma they were really good and true to the name, there was some Hefeweizen flavors, there were some strong ginger flavors, and there were some nice spicy rye flavor, they all went together nicely and made for a very unique tasting and smelling beer. What I liked Least about this beer was pretty much nothing, but I do wish it had a better head and retention with some lacing, but that isn't that big of a deal. I would for sure buy a six pack if it is released next year, it's a nice unique beer that I wouldn't mind having in the refrigerator for when I am in the mood for it. I defiantly recommend giving this beer a try, it's a nice and unique take on a Hefeweizen, but you better like ginger cause this beer is heavy on it. Shorts really did a good job with this beer, I have been leery about trying ginger beers since I had New Hollands BeerHive Tripel, but this beer really used the ginger to it's full potential and the Hefeweizen and rye flavors work very well with the ginger and are the perfect match. So far this is the best ginger flavored beer I have had. Shorts constantly impresses me by the way they can take a beer that I am so familiar with, give it the Short's treatment and come out with a beer that tastes very different and unique, the are the masters and making beer that unsuspectingly tastes awesome.
Edit, this one ages good, 6 months and the ginger tones down just a little to allow some great balance.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Color is a deep brown hazy with a nice bit of opaque color.

S - Smell doesn't have much hefeweizen notes, didn't even know it was one until now. I do get ginger root and rye with a bit of wheat.

T - Really different I didn't expect the rye to be so balanced with the wheat flavors. It's kind of a bigger beer than I expected but I do get some nice spicy flavors from the rye and ginger. Kind of works.

M - Medium bodied but I didn't expect it to be so close to 8% ABV.

Overall nothing that blew my mind but a very balanced rye beer.

4.95/5  rDev +36%

Appearance: a deep orangish, with some yellowish hints. very murky and no clarity, small tannish head that sits around for a long time. very good looking beer

Smell: ginger is strong as soon as i popped the top. upon smelling closer i find bubblegum, clove, a spiciness that i assume comes from the rye. for being able to smell ginger instantly i am surprised to find that much complexity in the smell

Taste: strong ginger up front but it gives way to spicy, peppery rye, bubblegum, clove and other yeasty flavors. unbelievably complex and delicious. You can definitely taste the hefeweizen side to it along with the special ginger and rye addition

Mouthfeel: drinkable and medium bodied. the spicy rye gives it a slight warmth. the ginger and rye leave a pretty bitter aftertaste. The only flaw i find in this beer is the lingering bitterness. I'd prefer if it was more refreshing and finished sweet or dry

Overall: wow. This is easily one of my favorite beers. I usually like shorts experimental beers but this one is killer. everything is so wonderfully done and complex. its very drinkable and the alchohol is pretty well hidden. wish this one would stick around for a little while longer.

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%

750ml bottle acquired in trade with hoppymeal (thanks Derek!). Bottle # 87 of 1104.

Poured a medum golden colol with a rather large sized off white head. Aromas of ginger, toasty, citrus, and yeasty. Tastes of ginger, citrus rinds, caramel, and had a peppery finish. If you like ginger, seek this one out.

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Another extra from surlytheduff-- thanks a lot!

This is very much a hefe with rye. Wow. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this better than I thought it would be.

Smells banana, little bubblegum, sweet wheat, and dry rye. The flavor is the same, and the finish is quite dry.

Body is pretty full for a hefe, and has decent carbonation, though a touch more might be nice.

Overall-- drinkable. Not the best I've had, but interesting.

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%

bought at the brewpub a few weekends ago.

A: hazy gold in color with a 2 finger off white head that has excellent retention and lacing. With how easy this one developed head on the poor, I was worried for infection...luckily there was none.

S: As the name implies, giner, rye, candy sweetness and a bit of wheat. Smells like a sushi restaurant and a bakery combined

T: This really hit the spot on a warm summer afternoon. The addition of ginger to a wheat beer was phenomenal. This one has a bit of yeastiness and a lot of wheat.

M: Medium-body yet crisp. Nice aftertaste.

O: The price was a bit steep (14 dollar I believe), but for a 4 year old beer, this has developed well and was very enjoyable.

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%

12oz bottle received as a great extra from pocwolf in a recent trade. Poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A - Pours a darker shade of orangey amber with little to no head forming...basically only a thin collar of white bubbles appears and there is a slight trace of lacing on the glass. Can't say this much looks like a Hefeweizen.

S - Smells quite wheaty, sweet with some spiciness - especially cloves...a little bit of coolness, some rye, trace of ginger. Expected to find more ginger character here...hoping the flavors more than make up for the lack of ginger in the aroma.

T - Ahh, here is some ginger. Up front I'm getting mostly standard hefeweizen flavors with the bubblegum and clovey yeast character I expect to find in a hefe. There is a bit of a spicy ginger tingle on the lips for each sip and as the standard hefe flavors fade away, a big hit of spicy ginger steps in. Rye isn't that prominant either, but kicks in an extra bit of distinctive spicy flavors. Towards the end the hefe'y sweetness and bubblegummy aspects return.

M - Ligthish medium body with a strong carbonation. Mixture of sweet hefe, wheaty, yeasty base and spicy ginger and rye. Actually blend together nicely.

O - Overall, not as gingery as I had hoped (really love intense ginger flavors), but definitely enough there to make me happy. Spicy aspects of the ginger play alongside the complementary spiciness of the hefe yeast. Nice beer.

2.9/5  rDev -20.3%

Remembered the review from BA mag a while back...Purchased one of the bottles while up at Short's in Bellaire, MI a couple weekends ago. They had it in the fridge behind the bar - Yes please! 2007 vintage, enjoyed on 6/5/11 Is it still good? The bartender says it has aged really well.

A: It's still carbonated, that's something at least. 2 fingers of off white head is fizzy and tight with great retention. Hazy orange amber liquid is gorgeous. A tad too much head.
S: Smells tangy - slightly stings the nostrils, in a good way. Ginger simple syrup, orange peel, graham cracker crust, peaches? Something a tad off lurks, almost like a liqueur.
T: Sweetness with a touch of ginger up front, aspirin on the finish. This one has gone a bit sour/astringent. Tastes like it was once great though. Fair tasting, but the aspirin is too dominant.
M: Full and sweet at first with some ginger spice. Astringent finish is unpleasant. Too fizzy.
D: I bomber is enough. I would love to try it fresh if they decide to make it again like most of the other 2007 bombers! Please do!

Here's the review of the fresh one - 12oz bottle from 11/11:

A: Moderate pour yields 1/3 finger of white head with fair retention. Hazy brownish orange/dark amber liquid. Head nearly disappears after one minute. More head please. (3.5)
S: Ginger, orange peel, lemon lime, faint clove. Very heady, dusty even. I like this aroma a lot. Complex (4.5)
T: Medicinal, aspirin is here even though it is fresh. Like tonic water a bit. The flavor does not match the aroma. No citrus, some ginger. Like a wild ale but with no sweetness to balance. Maltiness is better as it warms. (2.5)
M: Dry, astringent even. Not super carbonated. Mouthfeel dominates on this one. Unrelenting dryness and astringency. (2.5)
O: One is enough. Not horrible, but not rewarding! An adventure. I'm glad I tried. Won't buy 6 again and wouldn't order a second. Not psyched to drink the other 5 from this 6-er!

3.72/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

We pour a brew of shimmering sunset orange. It holds a half finger tall head of quickly dissipating white bubbles, leaving minimal flecks of lacing around the glass. A chill haze permeates clarity, and no sediment is noted. Carbonation appears to be highly active. The nose is bright, vegetal, and fresh, with raw and earthen ginger rootiness, biting lemony hops, pale and crystal malts, toasted and buttered rye breadiness, light grassiness, eucalyptus, fresh honey, pear juiciness, sweet banana esters, and even sweeter gumdrop candy sugariness. Our first impression is that flavoring is nicely “German” in its malty base, with generous booze and big ginger twang to match. As we sip, the taste opens with authentic ginger spiciness, parsnip and carrot root greenness and dirtiness, gravel and earth, mineral, juicy yeastiness, sourdough breadiness, basil, sugary banana esters, and wet, salty toasted barley. Moving to the peak is citric hop bite, continued ginger burn, lemongrass, cherry cough syrup, rye breadiness, and a dusty, musty cheddar cheesiness. The finish comes with peppery booze, honeys, candied banana, greened strawberries, rye graininess, pale and wet wheaty toast, floral and grassy hops, and whipped buttercream smoothness. The aftertaste breathes of lemon rind, ground ginger, black pepper, nutmeg, Elmer’s paste, herbal hops, bubblegum and banana esters, green grassiness, raw blueberries, and pumpernickel bread. The body is medium, and the carbonation is medium to high, with significant froth on the swirl around the mouth. Slurp, cream, and froth are okay, with nicer smack and finishing pop. The mouth is left a bit puckered, with light wheaty and boozy astringency to dry. The abv is bigger and more warming than expected, but the beer drinks well.

Overall, what we found to be the best thing about this beer was how well it kept to what was advertised. The ginger through both the nose and the taste was authentic and bright, keeping things fresh and spicy simultaneously. The malt bill was decently strong enough to match and meet, but we were expecting more punch and bite from the rye, which would have helped cut the sweetness of esters and the general “fruitiness” of the ginger flesh itself. This was an interesting beer, and while it may not be the best beer they’ve ever made, it makes us happy that we’re in the same state as these guys.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

A huge "Thank you!!!" going out to Brian @ Short's Brewpub for most graciously gifting my friends and i with two pints of this fine beverage on our recent visit.

Notes from a recent review. Split this with 4 friends. Poured into glass mason jar.

A- Pours a beautiful golden color with an amber, sunset orange hue. Nice pale, golden head of about 1 1/2 finger height with medium lacing.

S- Yeast aroma is very forward, bringing out bubblegum and clove notes, paired with a nice rye aroma and pleasant ginger notes, along with a bit of sweetness in the background.

T- Sweet, spicy, complex, and delicious. The mild warming ginger blends subtly in the overall flavor, popping in up front and carrying through the finish. The nice ginger notes seems to grow a bit more with each sip. I also detect bubblegum and cloves from the yeast, along with hints of fresh wintergreen berries, all of which mix and mingle beautifully on the palate.

M- Nice, mild-medium bodied.

D- Smooth, lighter medium body make this one highly drinkable, to my mind.

I enjoyed this brew tremendously. The synergistic flavors, charming aroma and color, and high drinkability truly impressed me. I'd buy this one frequently if only it was still in production. However, I am most grateful to have savored this superb, one-time treat.

Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen) from Short's Brewing Company