Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen) - Short's Brewing Company

Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen)Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen)

good

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Hefeweizen |  7.85% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 10-13-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 161 | Reviews: 52
4.34/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Just a quick review. Wasn't going to do a full review, but felt I had to after reading a couple average/poor ones, because I love this beer! I love ginger in general, so that is probably why. The smell is ok, nothing too wild. But there is a nice, crisp ginger taste to it, and not much else. Maybe a little citrus, lemon and orange zest, but it is labeled as a ginger beer, and that is what you get. So if you like the taste of ginger, you will like this beer. If you don't, probably best to pick out something else!

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

2.39/5  rDev -34.3%

bottle into snifter

appearance: cloudy unfiltered orange, looks more like an IPA than a hefe. slight 1 finger white head

smell: heavy ginger, citrus, coriander, and clove, heavy wheat, honestly this smells really funky, not very appetizing

taste: Off the bat, ginger and coriander, with huge citrus notes. The ginger has sort of an odd bitterness, I wouldn't really classify this as a hefeweizen whatsoever. The alcohol is almost accented by the giner. Gave this to my non craft drinking brother and he said it tasted like play-doh.

mouthfeel: average carbonation, pretty thin bodied

overall: I'm glad I tried this, but the amount of ginger in this really is too much. Not my style of beer, have had way better from Shorts. I would say skip this if you're curious, the bitterness from the ginger is not pleasant and completely overtakes everything else in this beer. I ended up drain pouring it.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to tectactoe for this beer...giving Short's another shot after the uncharacteristic disappointment wrapped up a few minutes ago. 12 oz. bottle.

Pop the cap & the first thing I notice is the cap. There's a brownish goo on it that looks like a mix of foundation makeup & the stuff you pick out of your sink drain. Yes, I tasted it. Go pick at it yourself if you want to know. Dense orange with close to zero carbonation. Nose is an assault of ginger. Straining just to be heard is a bit of the hefe yeast, clovey, bananaey.

Ginger in the Rye is a beer in line with general Short's weirdness. Ginger suffuses the teeth & gums & just like the smell, is praised faintly by the cloves, bananas in the yeast. There might be a touch of rye spiciness hiding in the ginger patch, but there might not be. Slight bitterness tags the throat right at the end. Only complaint is that there's almost no carbonation, so the beer drinks much heavier than its ABV, more like a meal than a happy ginger smile.

Like ginger? You'll like this. Was looking forward to seeing how the rye & ginger danced, but one of them has been drowned in the sink by the other. Good beer.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I thought I liked this one at first but the ginger taste is just too much. I like ginger too. I guess it depends on the day and my taste buds. I picked up a 6-pak and I just want to get through it.

It looks nice and smells good but the domination of ginger overwhelms my mouth after awhile.
It is a different beer and I like the unusual flavors but I don't think I will try this one again.

Overall it was nice to try once but I won't go out of my way for this one in the future.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen) from Short's Brewing Company