Aorta Ale (Double Red Ale) - Short's Brewing Company

Aorta Ale (Double Red Ale)Aorta Ale (Double Red Ale)

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 10-13-2007

A double red ale that seems to indicate an intensity of flavor simply by it’s dark reddish brown appearance. Subtle aromas of candy, brown sugar, and toasted malt seem reluctantly released from the depths of this full bodied beast. Raisins, figs, and burnt caramel are among some of the sweeter flavors up front, before giving way to a roasted cocoa like bitterness that becomes magnified by high alpha hops. Considering the initial overall sweetness, it’s a heightened bitterness that dominates the finish.

Ratings: 154 | Reviews: 53
Reviews by SportsandJorts:
4.28/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Type: 12 oz on tap
Glass: A short wheat beer glass
From: Lockhartt's in Royal Oak
Price: $5

Appearance: deep coppery red, nice clarity a small off-white head. leaves a lacing on the sides

Smell: hops, malts, brown sugar, fruit

Taste: strong floral hops mixed in with a little citrus, strong sweet malts mixed with brown sugar. nicely complex

Mouthfeel: bitter, warm, syrupy

Overall: Great beer. probably my favorite from short's for now. I wish I could get my hands on a few bottles

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

I've been wanting to try this one for a pretty long time, finally excited to finally get the chance to do so. Typically haven't been a huge fan of "red" ales in the past, but I'll never turn down a Shorts beer I haven't had. This one pours a lighter ruby-red color with hints of copper and maybe even a touch of purple. The cap is off-white showing decent retention and leaving some generous lacing through the top half of the glass.

The aroma's pretty light overall, or at least at first. I pick up quick on a few, sweet and malty aromas. Some citrus and juicy fruits; tangerine, melons, raisins, and plums. I know, a strange combination of fruits, but the aroma isn't "dark" enough to be comprise of all "dark" fruits. There are lighter and juicier aromas abound, I'm thinking tangerine is the biggest suspect. Hops aren't as vibrant as I'd like, but I have no idea how old this beer is, so what can I say? Mild hop oils with a very small hint of pine and resin. This one is certainly dominated by the fruity aromas and the sweet malt, though.

Up front, the first sip is a little boozier than I would have guessed it to be, but it comes hand in hand with a big sweetness to provide some balance. Very juicy and fruity like the aroma would have you believe. And when I say fruity, I don't mean in a "fruit beer" kind of way, I mean it in a "red ale" kind of way. Make sense? Didn't think so. Heavy tangerines, candied raisins, plum juice - this one is definitely sweet, but the hops quickly do their job to bring harmony to the table. Pungent, oily, and some lightly resinous pine needles with a herbal and almost ashy finish.

As the beer gets warmer, I get more and more caramel from the malt - by the last few ounces of this brew, the caramel was one of the biggest flavors, and the aftertaste was dominated with heavy caramel malts, toasted bread, and sugary graham crackers with some diminished, ashy hops and a fading, fruity sweetness. Excellent finish, actually, and maybe even better than the beginning and middle portion of the sip. Body is medium with a lightly sticky and moderately slick feel to it, medium carbonation.

Leave it to Shorts to make a beer for every style that ever existed. I'm sure this isn't the first "double red", but there probably aren't too many out there. Pretty good overall, maybe a little heavy on the sweetness - I would have liked more of an offsetting, bitterness balance. However, for not being particularly fond of the style, I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

750ml bottle. #199 of 780.

Pours into my glass a deep maroon red with a solid inch of creamy khaki head on top of the brew. Good clarity with patchy lacing and a head that lingers on. Aromas start with a big dose of caramel malt alongside some roasted notes. Citrusy, piney hops are quite well placed in there too. Toasty with a fruity undercurrent as well, but big on the caramel. Slightly oxidized as well.

First sip brings a caramel / toasted malt upfront that flows into fruity, somewhat doughy notes as well. It moves into citric, earthy hops, definitely Cascades, but time has taken its toll and the hops have faded quite a bit. A bit nutty as it flows down with more fruitiness and a good bit of bitterness. Finishes smooth and malty with a bit of oxidation on the end as well.

Mouthfeel brings a solid body with a nice creaminess as it flows down. Mellow carbonation throughout. Nice and chewy, it's a big red ale that also goes down smooth and is quite refreshing. Overall, it's not my favorite from the series that I've tried so far but it's still a solid, tasty brew. Wish I would have had it fresh because the hops have faded quite a bit. I've been loving trying these Imperial Series beers, cheers to Shorts!

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz. release

A -Pours a beautiful clear deep amber with two fingers of tan head. Head has nice retention and leaves very nice lacing.

S - Nice caramel malt, with a bit of sweetness. Big citrus hops aroma with a bit of bread malt. Very nice.

T - Taste is a nice balance malty and bitter. Mostly caramel malts with a bit of bread. Like the smell, the hops presence is mostly citrus. Maybe a touch too much bitterness, but very enjoyable.

M - Medium mouthfeel starts with a bit of sticky sweetness and finishes dry and bitter.

O -This is up there with Tocobaga and Red Rocket as my favorite hoppy amber ales. Wish I bought more than a couple singles. A very nice beer with a great story behind it (check out Short's website if you don't have the original 750 ml release)

4.28/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a lovely mahogany color with an off-white head of about half an inch. Very nice lacing.

S - Piney hops as well as very citrusy fruit.

T - Bready malt, sweet with a sour twang. Big hops, earthy and citrus. Grapefruit.

M - Fine carbonation, with an IPA type finish.

O - This beer is delicious. Very very tasteh. Well balanced, but hoppy enough to respect as someone who craves bitter.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Huge thanks to Derek(hoppymeal) for this trade at DLD. I had no clue this was such a limited release :x

#11 of 780
Bottled 2/6/07

750ml brown bottle, poured into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a deep blood red so thick that not much comes through. A nice 1 1/2 fingers of lightly tinted head forms pretty tight and holds nicely. Some nice patches of sticky lacing.

S: Nice and hoppy(citrus, light resin and pine) with a hearty amber ale backbone. The aroma is on the subtle side but I swear I'm getting a touch of sour/funk. I guess we'll see.

T/M: The sour/funk flavor actually turns out to be a highly acidic mandarin orange flavor... that I'm not sure I could have picked apart without reading joe1510's review first. This flavor makes up nearly the entire hop side with a slow forming but assertive bitterness. The malts lay pretty heavy with big caramel and dense dark bread characteristics. The body is medium heavy with a smoothness from lightened carbonation. Finishes lightly dry with lasting bitterness.

D: I drank this rather slowly but that's not to say it was a challenge to drink it. It's just one of those complex beers that you need to take your time with. Thanks for the brew, Derek!

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

Bomber, purchased at the brewpub in August. A medium amber coloured body, with generous off-white head. A full mouthfeel. Complex malting, the aroma is malty, with a tad of hops. The taste includes orange. A long finish and pleasant aftertaste. A good take on it, was expecting hoppier.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle #251 of 780.

Many thanks to ThomasHardy for this one. A rarity I never thought I'd see. Thanks, Brady.

Aorta Ale pours moderate brown color with an excellent scarlet hue. It's a little hazy, but backlighting really gives a nice reddish color. It's topped with a tan head that reaches nearly two fingers deep. It's very slow to recede and leaves a somewhat sticky lacing on the glass. Very nice looking beer.

The nose is very malty and a little sweet smelling. Caramel malts are abundant. There are some hop remnants remaining. They smell a little piney and citric. There's a little grapefruit and orange but not much. I'd love to try a bottle of this stuff fresh. It smells like the hops have degraded over time. No surprise there. I'm a little surprised they're noted at all since the accompanying label indicates this was bottled in February, 2007.
Alcohol is blended well and goes unnoticed. All in all, this is a good smelling beer. I suspect it'd be excellent fresh. Today, very good.

The flavor profile is very consistent with the nose. Caramel malts are sweet and substantial. They give it a really solid base. As I suspected, the hop flavor has largely disappeared. There's maybe a little pine flavor and some residual bitterness. I'm not picking up much in the citrus department here. I'm still shocked there's any at all. I'll take it. Alcohol is masked well and isn't noticeable. It's somewhat modest at 7.6%, so that's not too surprising. It finishes sweet and a little bitter. At the end of the day, this is good stuff. For a bottle that's 2 and a ½ years old, it's held up very well. Aside from hop degradation, you really can't tell. There's no oxidization at all.

Aorta Ale has a medium body that's overall smooth. Carbonation is dialed down nicely. It's not quite creamy, but it's nice and smooth. Drinkability is actually very high. This is tasty stuff despite its age. At 7.6%, it's not too big. I expected something more substantial for a 'Double Red.' It goes down easy and is rather approachable. I'm splitting the 750, but would've gladly tackled it alone.

Short's did a really nice job with Aorta Ale. I'd love to try a bottle of this stuff fresh. I suspect the hops are a little more vibrant and add a really nice dimension to the flavor. As old as this bottle is, it still has a surprisingly bitter flavor, but lacks the punch of fresh hops. Nonetheless, it's held on to its youth amazingly well. Really good stuff. Thanks, Brady.

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%

Great deep amber color that is transparent with a small amount of head. The color reminds me of a light red wine. I can see where the name of it comes from. Smell has a great floral scent but also accented with a bready maltiness. Taste is very well balanced between the malt and floral hops. Clean and dry aftertaste with some pleasant bitterness lingering. Medium body and lightly carbonated. Overall, I was really impressed with this one. This is a great beer!

Edit- 2/15/13- Even better than I remember. Huge Centennial hits and great backbone. Make more!

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A beautiful three finger frothy light tan head easily comes to the top of my glass. Solid staying power and nice lace is left behind. Body is a deep mahogany brown with a bit of a red burnish to it. Nose is of roasty camp fire like malts and a mineral, woodsy hop profile. Some dark fruit maybe cherries are there also. On first sip I think to my self, wow there is a lot going on here. I could say dark fruit but that would be to narrow. Cherry skins, rhubarb, dandelion and grape seed come to mind at first. There is a mineral profile here that is almost metallic also. Actually very metallic, dare I say iron. Mouthfeel is attractive, be it all over the place. Never gets old though. This beer was a real adventure and a joy to drink from beginning to end.

3.51/5  rDev -9.8%

12 oz bottle into Founders tulip. No bottled on date in the typical spots for Short's bottles.

A - Medium to dark amber colour with a slight ruby glow around the edges. One finger of thick cream coloured head from the pour that slowly reduced to a ring around the glass. Moderate lacing.

S - Big sweet malt profile up front filled with toffee and caramel aromas. The hop profile is hidden in the background and provides like floral aromas.

T - Huge bitterness up front that dominates the palate and lingers in the finish. The sweetness is here but is well balanced by the massive hop bitterness. Toffee, caramel and brown sugar flavours some through from the malt bill. Very opposite of the nose.

M - Medium body, sticky and dry. Light carbonation.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

750ml bottle acquired in the Fight Club BIF from Hoppymeal, dated . Bottle # out of . Consumed on 07/08/2008.

A big, huge, enormous, thanks goes out to Hoppymeal for hooking me up with this one as well as the next few Short's brews I will be lucky enough to be sampling. I grabbed this one last night as the first one of the batch I was going to try as I did not want something too heavy with diner. Served right at 50 degrees and poured into a snifter, this was a lovely looking beer from the get go. Rich reddish amber color with a nice half inch head of frothy off white lace. Nice retention left this one having a good layer on the top and some very nice side glass lacing. Good carbonation could be seen streaking up towards the top of it.

The aroma was nice and rich. Some light hop bite still left in it, but you could tell the majority of it had mellowed quite a bit. Nice notes of caramel and sugary malts, classic red ale breadiness as well. This carried over well into the flavor. A somewhat bitter note struck me first, which was followed up with a semi sweet caramel tone. Solid biscuit like flavor is dolling around in the middle. Hops begin to show their color around the finish, giving it a nice pine and citrus like feel, but backing off before becoming dominant in any way. This was definitely driven by the malt for sure. Very nice and creamy smooth Mouthfeel, very chewy with a great consistency. Never really a dull moment here as the carbonation was really quite nice and left a very good impression with me. An easy drinker as the alcohol was nowhere near out of hand, and I thoroughly enjoyed sipping on this for a couple hours last night.

Overall I thought this was a very nice introduction to the world of Shorts for me. A classic for sure and left me itching to try the rest of the lineup. I would have to recommend this one for anyone, and it is clear that the couple years have treated this very well.

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

If there was something in between a 3.75 I would give it that for most of the scoring categories. I picked this bottle up at the brewpub in July. Pours with a dark red/light brown color, the head fades rather quickly and leaves some lacing.

Smells of hops (with age on them, kind of like an aged barleywine but not really),dark fruits, caramel and a little molasses.

I was surprised to still find this beer tasting pretty bitter but also smooth, fruity and very malty. I would love to have had this fresh but I really have no complaints with this bottle.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Picked up a bottle at the Keweenaw Co-Op in Hancock MI.

A&S: The smell is primarily sweet bready malts, but its very strong and delicious. There is also a sweeter caramel presence. A beautiful looking transparent dark ruby hue. Head pours about a finger and a half of off white semi fizzy foam. Head is retained in a thin creamy layer, but leaves great clumps of lacing.

T&M: Much different taste then smell. Very alcoholic in the taste (would have thought it was higher then 7.6%), Very, very bitter and dry in the finish (more bitter then a lot of ESB). Lots of piney hops towards the finish. Pretty unbalanced toward the side of hops, which I found interesting for the style. On the coarser side of mouthfeel. Medium bodied and on the low side of carbonation.

Overall: The bitterness of this beer was overpowering and hard to ignore in the overall rating. Even though this beer had some really incredible subunits like smell and appearance, I would consider this beer to be just above average for ambers of a similar price. I don't really know why this beer belongs in the amber style.

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Aorta Ale for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I feel like a nice hoppy Red Ale tonight, so I thought I would crack the newest offering from Short's. I want to see what short's can do with a Double Red Ale, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like label a lot on this beer, it looks good and it's pretty eye catching. It poured a dark amber red color that changed to a nice and bright ruby red color when held to the light. It had two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This Red Ale looks pretty nice.

S- The aroma seems to have nice balance. It starts out with some nice caramel malts that impart a caramel, grainy, and brown bread aroma, it also had a pretty high amount of sweetness. Next comes the hops which are pretty much all citrus with just a little bit of floral hops thrown in for good measure, grapefruit seems to stick out the most but there is also a little pineapple and blood orange. I like the aroma of this beer, it's pretty damn good.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it's just as balanced. It starts off with a nice amount of caramel malts that impart a pretty noticeable bready and grainy flavor with a medium amount of sweetness makes for a good malt backbone for this beer. Next comes a lot of hops that are grapefruit sticks out the most. The finish has a high amount ofmainly citrus and slightly floral, just like the aroma the bitterness that carried on through the aftertaste along with some bready malts and grapefruit. This beer tastes good but it's pretty bitter.

M- A little smooth, dry, slightly oily, medium bodied, with a nice medium amount of carbonation. No complaints here, the mouthfeel works very well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was pretty damn good and it was a good example of what a Double Red Ale can be, this could almost be classified as an IPA or DIPA, but with this beer all the malts from the base of this Red Ale have enough flavor to balance out the loads of hops that were thrown into this beer. This beer had OK drinkability, it was pretty bitter so two would be my limit, but the flavor does a good job at holding my interest. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma and the balance between malts and hops in the flavor and aroma, it made for one awesome smelling and great tasting beer. What I liked least about this beer was the higher amount of bitterness, that's the only flaw I could find with this beer and if it was just toned down a notch it would pretty much be the perfect Double Red Ale. I would for sure buy this beer again the next time it's released, I already went back and got another bottle and I could easily see a couple more in my future if there is still some left. I highly recommend trying this beer, especially if you like hoppy Red Ales, but it won't be easy to find. I am really starting to get into the Double Red Ales, the extra malt flavors that this style provides can hold up nicely to a lot of hops. I found this beer to be pretty similar to Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale, but I liked this beer more, Short's didn't do anything to crazy or out of the box with this beer, but they did choose a style that many brewery's overlook and I can tell they put just as much effort into this beer as they put into their experimental beers, and it really shows. Good job Short's this is now my favorite Double Red Ale.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into tulip glass.

A: Pours a copper red with 1 finger white head. Some lacing, head fades pretty quickly.

S: Sweet, malty, not much going on here, expected a little more hops to come through.

T: Sweet and malty again, with enough bitterness from the hops at the end to balance out. Some caramel. Bitter piney hops finish.

M: Medium bodied, carbonation is good.

O: A nice beer from Shorts, nothing mind blowing by any means, need some work but wouldn't pass one up if offered to me.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Amazing beer, sneaks up on you. Awesome hops and color.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

750ml bottle acquired in trade with hoppymea (thanks Derek!). Bottled on 2/6/07 and # 117 of 780.

Poured a medium amberish color with a larger sized off white head. Aromas of caramel, some dark fruits, a little earthy, and citrus. Tastes of caramel, dark fruits, toffee, and some citrus. On the sweeter side. Creamy body.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Dark red in color with a soapy white head. Nice citric aroma. Good hoppiness and fruit character. Grapefruit is strong on the nose. A solid malt aroma as well; lots of toast and roast. The bitterness is far more pronounced than expected with pine and grapefruit peel. A nice citrus and fruit flavor to it as well. Some toasted bread and toffee give a mild sweetness.

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%

poured super cold from a 12oz bottle to a shaped sun king pint a semi-translucent deep amber with a wisp of a short lasting head.

aroma of big earthy hops and brown sugars in the wayback.

very subtle, almost non-existent carbonation, yet it's not at all flat (?), medium bodied and hot.

big hops all over the place, as advertised, sweetness almost covered up entirely, but evident after its down the hatch.

interesting, but probably not going to down a sixer of these.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottles shared with fellow geeks at a tasting party on 03-20-10.

A-Copper kissed golden yellow with a small white head that reduced to a wispy veil and left zero lacing.

S-For a three year old brew this one is still retaining a fairly impressive dose of citrus hop aroma. This quickly gives way to sweet caramel malt and a light touch of brown sugar.

T-Lots of caramel and sugary sweetness up front with a nice dose of spicy bitterness in support. Not surprised at all really that the hops have faded into the background in this one.

M-Medium-heavy bodied, fairly viscous and very smooth.

D-Certainly held up fairly well for a three year old beer. I would have liked to have had this fresh but....It grew a bit tiresome in the end.

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating oddly (but is from the most recent bottling this year). Pours hazy brick red color with a nice 2 finger dense khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Some beautiful soapy lacing clinging on the glass. Aromas of big caramel, herbal, pine, orange, grapefruit, biscuit, grass, earth, spiciness, and a bit of alcohol. Some pretty nice aromas with good strength and balance. Taste of big caramel, biscuit, pine, grapefruit, herbal, floral, toasted grain, orange, grass, and light earthy spiciness. Fair amount of bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, citrus, biscuit, grass, herbal, pine, and earthy spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Great balance of flavors, with plenty of caramel sweetness that is not cloying at all. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very creamy and slick mouthfeel that is very nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a small warming present after the finish. Overall this is a really nice imperial red ale. Very nice balance of flavors with moderate bitterness, and extremely smooth to sip on. Really enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz bottle. Thanks for this one Jay!

A: Pours a deep mahogany brown with three fingers of very long lasting light tan greasy head that took forever to fade into a very thick oily head that left a sticky network of lacing down the glass.
S: Very hoppy nose with fragrant notes of grapefruit and citrus. I get some undertones of sweeter tropical fruit nectars as well.
T: Follows the nose with dominant fresh hop flavors. Caramel malts and a little bit of biscuit and roasted grain come through as well to remind me this isn’t an ipa. The finish is full of tropical fruits and the aftertaste is lightly bitter and grassy. Very very hoppy for an amber.
M: Soft carbonation, full, bubbly frothy mouthfeel, smooth, with a full body.
O: Tastes like a malty ipa. Not as good as NN but a very hoppy and flavorful amber. Thanks again, jbck109.

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%

A- Pours a deep, clear amber with some orange and brown highlights. The off-white head is thick and creamy and has great retention and leaves some lacing as it works its way down the glass.

S- Grass, caramel, pine, and a bit of citrus. There is a bit of earthiness on the finish. All of the aspects blend very nicely together.

T- Sticky pine, grass, citrus, and caramel. The flavors are much sharper and more pronounced than the aroma led me to believe. Pretty sweet at the beginning, but the hops quickly make their presence known and leaves some definite lingering bitterness.

M- Smooth and creamy body with a bit of carbonation bite on the finish that really emphasizes the oily and bitter aspect from the hops.

O- A very interesting and well made beer from Short's. Between the strong flavors and well-rounded nature to this beer, this is one of the more memorable offerings from this brewery.

4.16/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a plum orange purple. Lacing, who cares. Smells different, interesting; muted floral and some hint of hops and malt, but like I said, muted. Taste is ripe fruit and restrained malt first, then the bitter comes on; assertive, wet and excellent echo overall. Carbonation is moderately fine and fizzy, and lightly syrup. A really great beer. I only have one. I'd like more!

Aorta Ale (Double Red Ale) from Short's Brewing Company