1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal StoutShort's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Sudmissle on 12-21-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 216 | Reviews: 147 | Show All Ratings:
SportsandJorts

3.51/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: dark brown almost black color. Opaque and with just a spot of a lacing.

Smell peanut butter and chocolate

Taste: starts off with dark malts and some chocolate but quickly becomes straight peanut butter

Mouthfeel: fairly light. Lingering peanut butter taste

Overall: a very interesting beer. I was surprised at the power of the peanut butter. Not for everyone but certainly interesting. I don't think I'd reach for one very often

01-31-2014 15:46:07 | More by SportsandJorts
joe1510

4.48/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

64oz Growler

This is my first taste of Short's. Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout is black. So black not a hint of light shines through even when directly backlit. There was even some gurgling as I filled my glass from the growler. A dense creamy two finger milk chocolate head formed on the pour that fell to a solid cap and left great spider webbed lacing on its way down.

It's my understanding that this was brewed with peanut puree and after sticking my nose in the glass it certainly appears that way. Strong initial aroma of crushed peanuts with the husk (is that the right word? not the shells but the skins) on them. As the nuttiness fades bakers chocolate shows up along with a touch of freshly brewed coffee. The finish brings along a moderate roastiness and a ghost like hint of alcohol. My original score for the smell was 4 but as this beer warms the roastiness and coffee combine with the chocolate creating a combo of chocolate peanut butter. Excellent!

I was a little longwinded in my description of the smell so I'll keep it short here. Quick flash of peanut butter up front before being overtaken by dark chocolate and fresh brewed coffee. These two combine to be soft and not overwhelming. Before you know it the peanut butter and chocolate come back on the finish along with a solid roastiness. This is a really interesting and delicious oatmeal stout.

Mouthfeel is spot on for the style. The oatmeal gives a great velvety smoothness from front to back. The body is full without being heavy. The roastiness on the finish leaves a balancing bitterness.

This beer is supremely sip-able. The velvety smoothness really helps things along. It got blustery cold all of a sudden and this is a good choice to drink away an evening such as tonight.

This is my first taste of Shorts brewing thanks to Hoppymeal. Uber Goober is an excellently brewed oatmeal stout with the uniqueness to take it a step above the rest. Hopefully I can get my hands on some more from Short's down road. Thanks again Derek!

Reviewed: 1/30/08

08-18-2013 22:54:23 | More by joe1510
BlissJunkie

2.96/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Every time I have had this beer, it tastes infected. Not a bret sour but something way more lacto. Under the sour notes I can smell the peanuts so I can see where it would have potential in a healthy batch. First time I had it was in their first release of six pack bottles when they were still using the gold caps instead of the white with black logo on it. All of that run of uber gubber and pbj were infected and recalled. Maybe I was so affected by that batch I can taste any amount of misplaced bacteria in every newer batch.

01-11-2013 19:53:05 | More by BlissJunkie
anth0ny

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Poured into a tulip glass from a freshly opened growler (exactly 2 weeks old).

Deep dark brown with a moderate head, light brown in color. Head disappears quickly with little to no lacing.

Peanuts up front with underlying chocolate and burnt malt aromas. Very nice.

Tastes like a cookie. The peanut flavor and bitter chocolate almost meld into each other. Decent stout body underneath. Quite simple but very tasty and drinkable. The peanut-chocolate combo is not overwhelming or too sweet by any means. Alcohol could be hidden better.

Medium body, medium carbonation, smooth mouth. Very mild.

Overall I liked it a lot, but definitely room for improvement.

01-05-2013 23:54:38 | More by anth0ny
mochaguy

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

On Tap at Hopcat for Short’s Birthday Party 12/13/12

Appearance: Deep brown with a short mocha head.

Smell: Roasted peanut and chocolate.

Taste: Just like the smell, roasted peanuts and chocolate with a long mild finish.

Mouth Feel: Quite smooth with mild carbonation and a medium body.

Overall: I really enjoyed this. Straightforward but with easily defined and pleasant mild flavors of roasted peanuts and chocolate without being overly sweet.

12-14-2012 17:43:42 | More by mochaguy
BeRanger

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured into a Tulip from a previously unopened growler (4 days old).

A - Pours black with a small dark brown head that goes away relatively quickly. No lacing.

S - Peanuts, roasted malts, chocolate. Unlike some other peanut butter stouts, this was distinctly just peanuts, not a peanut butter smell.

T - Tasted like the smell, I found it very enjoyable. The peanut taste was the boldest flavor - finished smooth without a harsh aftertaste.

M - Medium body, little carbonation.

O - This was my favorite from the night between the Turtle, Smore and Uber. This had a lot more drinkability and to finish it off, we combined this with Soft Parade to make the 'PB&J'. Another job well done from Shorts, I hope I can find Bottles of this soon.

01-06-2012 02:10:37 | More by BeRanger
madeofsteel

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Pours a thick, pitch black. Forms a half inch of brown head, but only after a very hard pour. No retention, little lacing.

S - Burnt peanuts, malt, mild sour funk.

T - Much more approachable than the nose lets on. Less burnt, and more like peanut butter, but without a lot of the sweetness. Nice and bitter. Thankfully, the sour in the nose is not present.

M - Little carbonation. Creamy, but also sort of dry near the finish. Messy on the tongue.

O - Definitely one of my favorite specialties from Short's, although some complaints about souring led me to believe it might be an issue with handling. So a fresh growler was in order, and sure enough, no problems. Delicious.

12-29-2011 23:04:09 | More by madeofsteel
slentz

2.63/5  rDev -26.7%

Bottle to tulip at about 50 degrees.

A: Easy pour down the center of the glass leads to about a finger worth of head that recedes very quickly. Lot of carbonation here. Head disappears to a thin ring within seconds. Not the best looking stout. 3.0

S: First smell is of burnt malts, light sweetness, a little brown sugar. Smells kind of strange, has a smokey smell and other stuff going on really cant pin point it though. 3.0

T: Taste is somewhat sour, tart, really strange. One of the strangest tasting oatmeal stouts I have ever had. Not really all that enjoyable to be honest. 2.5

M: Mouthfeel is pretty flat not much going on here. 2.5

O: Overall I really did not enjoy this at all. It is very below average. A drain pour for me. I would not seek this out again. 2.5

10-20-2011 22:46:01 | More by slentz
harrymel

Washington

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottled: unk

A: pours a dark brown on black with a thin sheet of mocha foam which falls quickly to a scattered sheet of the same. No lace. Clarity irrelevant.
S: Sitting with my face a good 18" from the glass, I can smell the roasted oatmeal malts. I can smell the peanuts. As I approach the glass I get even more peanuts, some cardboard, some burnt toast. These all meld well enough, and the beer creates the novelty it adverts. I also like it (but in limited encounters)
T: Hmm, initially sweet, then a pinch of tartness and then I start to be able to try and appreciate the flavors. The beer has a slight soy sauce flavor on it (which I really appreciate in SA Triple Bock '97), but I'm not encouraged by the circumstances here. Some bitter soil tones here as well.
M: Medium on thin bodied with moderate carb. Semi-dry finish.
O: I'm a bit torn on this beer. On one hand the nose is quite strong and meets the advertised tones of the beer. On the other hand, the flavor profile indicates something is not quite right. Hard to tell if this is a yeast issue, sanitation issue, oil issue or simply my palate on the intended beer. After I've had half the glass, the tartness has become less evident allowing the peanuts and malts to resurface again. Would I drink again? Yes. Would I prefer on tap? Yes - as I've had less issues with novelty beers deviating from their former selves associated with bottle conditions and dating issues. Worth a peak as a beer.

10-15-2011 08:08:02 | More by harrymel
AgentZero

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

A - Black beer with with a finger of brown head that dissipates rather quickly, doesn't leave much on the sides of the glass.

S - Smells a lot like a stout, with requisite roast. There is a very strong peanut smell here, which I enjoy.

T - Unfortunately this beer is massively infected. There is a lactic sourness to it.

M - Medium to full bodied beer with moderate carbonation.

O - Wasn't going for a lactic tart stout. Beer has a lot of potential with a very nice roasted peanut. Unfortunately like way too many Shorts beers, this one was horribly infected. They really need to get that under control.

09-30-2011 03:22:49 | More by AgentZero
cwguy5

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks marine1975 for a share of this. Poured from bottle into a Highland 'mini-pint.'

A - deep brown color with almost no head and no lacing
S - dark chocolate Reese's cup with some bready malts
T - some dark malt and bread; slight tangy flavor with a moderate peanut butter finish
M - light carbonation over; thin body; very smooth
D - an interesting beer; i would like to see more oatmeal character come through personally; pretty drinkable all in all

09-07-2011 04:51:54 | More by cwguy5
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of TheSevenDuffs. Glad to try this off kilter beer! No date on the bottle served between 6-8C into a tulip.

A: A hard pour produces minimal brown head with next to no retention and almost zero lacing. A thick stout is clearly on the prowl here though with an opaque body.
S: Thick dark roasted notes with molasses, an oily peanut butter like aroma comes about too. An odd mix.
T: More of the same on the palate. Lots of roasty notes, with an oily peanut that lingers and keeps some of the sweetness back. Personally the two flavours don't pair very well, although they do come across at two different times...
M: Oily, very low carbonation. Cloying at first yet finishes oily and peanuty.
O: Glad I've tried this concoction... Not sure I am going to be looking for this one ever again except to foist on others. Nevertheless, nice try at it.

08-24-2011 01:35:39 | More by kjyost
Jeffo

Netherlands

3.13/5  rDev -12.8%

In a trade with TheSevenDuffs. Thanks man!

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Black pour, almost opaque, makes a small, medium looking, tan head with relatively lousy retention. Fades quickly to a light wisp and ring. Black body and no carbonation evident. A light, splotchy wisp and ring remain until the end leaving dots of lacing down the glass. Good looking, but head need more staying power.

SMELL: A bit of roasted and smoky malt, but lots of peanut butter for sure. Nose is mild but quite one-dimensional. It’s a peanut butter beer.

TASTE: Weird. I should stop there, but I won’t. Roasted nuances and some caramel, then mostly peanut butter through the middle and into the finish. Tastes mostly like synthetic peanut butter with some licorice and caramel sweetness. Aftertaste is medium in strength and persistent, with caramel and peanut butter stealing the show.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly mouth-coating. A touch of heat at the back after the swallow. Pretty good feel.

OVERALL: I appreciate the attempt and the willingness to experiment, but this was not my thing. Peanut butter tasted somewhat synthetic and out of place in the beer, while it also masked any other attempt at creating complexity. This is a bit of a novelty that I can see people trying once, but I just can’t imagine drinking this on a regular basis. It was interesting, but it’s a one-and-done for me. Thanks again TheSevenDuffs.

08-22-2011 13:27:15 | More by Jeffo
sleestak4life

1.8/5  rDev -49.9%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a medium black with a quickly dissipating tan head. Aroma is coffee, light peanuts and...dammit, there it is again. The sour smell that means for the second year in a row I’ve fallen prey to infected Goober. Taste, lightly roasty with subtle peanut butter and yep, a foul, sour finish. Mouthfeel is unpleasantly slick and lacking in body. God, when will I frickin’ learn with Shorts’ oddball releases?

07-19-2011 16:50:59 | More by sleestak4life
SpdKilz

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

A big thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) for this beer that has been hanging around my refrigerator for some time. As a matter of fact it has made the trip from Michigan to California to Illinois. Here goes nothing! Cheers buddy.

Appearance – Pours a jet black into a generic tulip with almost no head and literally no lacing. No light gets through when held up to a lamp.

Smell – Honestly, peanuts. There are the traditional stout aromas such as burnt malts, slight coffee and chocolate, but honestly, I smell peanuts. Weird – Short’s having a beer smell like what it is suppose to be! I expected nothing less, haha.

Taste – Yum. Let me first say that after having a Blushing Monk earlier, this is a great night cap. Heavy roasted peanuts up front, burnt malts, bittersweet chocolate, and more peanuts. Short’s yet again scores high points for getting the flavor profile correct in what they were trying to do.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied (almost light/medium), decent carbonation.

Overall – Very interesting beer. Some of Short’s beers don’t work…I think this one does. While I wouldn’t grab a six pack of it in the future, it actually was better than I was expecting and as stated was a great way to cap the night after having such a sweet fruit beer. Tasty.

07-12-2011 03:29:08 | More by SpdKilz
JoeyBeerBelly

2.8/5  rDev -22%

I got this beer from kzoobrew. Thanks Kevin!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - black with a small, short-lived cocoa colored head.

S - roasted malt with a hint of nut. I guess I was expecting more after reading some of the reviews.

T - once again the nutty flavor is in the background not upfront or overpowering. It is a decent tasting brew but nothing extraordinary.

F - medium bodied with low carbonation.

O - meh.

07-07-2011 01:08:50 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
raznug

Appearance: Black in color with a half inch of brownish head.
Smell: It smells of roasted peanuts and a little malt.
Taste: Roasted malts that doesn’t stick around. It does have a nice creaminess to it the back palate.
Mouthfeel: It seems rather thin but the taste hangs on the tongue nicely.

06-17-2011 20:41:19 | More by raznug
sendsilk

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%

Thanks to Scoot1969 for this treat! I appreciate it Scott!!!

A- Nice and dark, not much carbonation even with a decent pour. No lacing or head of which to speak.

S- Freaking awesome. Smells like a nice dark, rich stout with PEANUTS! Seriously, why has someone not picked up on this and gone Rambo on this style? That's the next beer I brew, a Peanut Butter stout. I'll break up friggin Nutter Butters and age them on that shit.

T- Here goes...Definitely Peanuts/PB in there. A little sweeter than I would have guessed but SEND ME MORE!! What an unusual brew, I dig it!

M- Gotta knock it on this count, a little thin for an oatmeal stout. Thicken this shit up and double the peanuts it's aged on and you have a **DING DING** Charlie Sheen type winner!

O- Solid for me, I'm a PB freak so I'm definitely in this beers corner.

06-01-2011 04:40:37 | More by sendsilk
warnerry

Notes from Dec. 2010

Pours black with carbonation clinging to the side of the pint glass.

Smells of peanuts and earthy roasted malts. The peanut smell works very well with the malts.

Taste is similar to smell, with chocolate and a faint amount of hops coming through. Also a decent creaminess.

Medium to almost light mouthfeel. The lingering earthiness is very nice.

I thought this was a well made stout with a nice flavor profile. My friend referred to Uber Goober and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups as "the adult milk and cookies". Can't say I disagree.

05-26-2011 03:16:07 | More by warnerry
scottfrie

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

12oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours an extremely dark brown with a thin, short lived head despite a rough pour. Minimal lace.
S: Huge dominant notes of dry roasted peanuts! Pretty cool to smell this in a beer although I must say it's not that appetizing.
T: There is a bit of nuttiness to the taste but actually for the most part this tastes like a pretty normal oatmeal stout. Flavors are dark and roasted, and the aftertaste is very dry.
M: Fizzy, tingly carbonation over a medium-thick body and a rather sharp mouthfeel. Not the best.
O: Another unique idea from a rather unique brewery. I have to say though, I don't think I've found a Short's beer that I've really wanted to drink again. Glad I got to try this once though.

05-26-2011 02:16:22 | More by scottfrie
JamnesCameron

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into a DFH pint glass. Pours a jet black with a thin spritzy dark mocha head that drops very quickly.

Aromas of dark roast coffee, roast grains, dark cocoa, and a big punch of roasted peanuts.

Flavors of a, well, unsweetened reese's peanut butter cup. Dark cocoa powder, dark roast coffee, roasted malt, and peanuts.

Mouthfeel is silky, light, not quite watery.

Overall, well, it works. Interesting mix of flavors. Nothing aggressive or offensive. Couldn't see sitting down and drinking a number of these, but one a sitting is good. Seek it out for nothing more than the novelty works.

05-22-2011 03:31:34 | More by JamnesCameron
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.28/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Massive thanks goes out to beeruser for sharing this one with funkydelic and I at an impromptu tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller sampler wine glass. Poured a deep dark brown with a minimal off-white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted peanuts, salty, and slight fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, nutty, and subtle saltiness. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Nothing too awe-inspring going on in this one at all. It honestly reminded me of eating roasted peanuts on both the aroma and the flavor. More so in the aroma though, as it wasn't as salty in the flavor fortunately. Glad I got to try this one, but doubt I would have it again.

05-20-2011 12:52:39 | More by thagr81us
dfillius

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Aggressive pour yields a dusting of cocoa brown head with poor retention. Nearly pitch black liquid.
S: Roastiness, peanuts, toffee. Very pleasant. I'd like some more complexity please.
T: Rich chocolate, coffee, burnt bits, peanut, dark fruit, booze (too much booze). Decent, but not good/hearty enough stout to stand up to the peanut.
M: Heat shows up a bit too much to be pleasant. thick, chewy.
D: Way too hot for 6.5% I thought it was a RIS. One's enough for me in a lifetime.

05-17-2011 02:06:39 | More by dfillius
korguy123

Ontario (Canada)

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

Notes from 5/6/2011

A- Opaque black pour, zero head. Carbonation looks minimal. Lacing is non existent.

S- Peanuts right off the bat. The peanut smell reminds me of an ash tray. Roasted coffee, slight bitter chocolate. Soy sauce

T- Bitter roasted coffee, peanuts hit you in the back end. Zero sweetness (that I was expecting) bitter peanut/ash tray aftertaste.

M- Thin to medium bodied. creamy feeling, minimal carbonation pricking the back of the tongue.

O- Peanut is in your face and authentic. My mouth keeps going back to ash tray though. Overly bitter made this a hard one to choke down. Like the originality but won't be trying again.

05-11-2011 02:40:25 | More by korguy123
kevinv

2.6/5  rDev -27.6%

Another Short's offering provided by beerindex... Thanks!

12oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating noted on this bottle.

A - Pours a jet black. The surface of the beer fizzed with some tan/mocha colored bubbles for about half a second, but never formed and actual head. So, the beer is black...not much else to the appearance.

S - I thought the aroma was great. It actually smells like a smooth, creamy, peanut butter. Light undertones of chocolate and dark roasted malts.

T - This is where it falls apart for me. At first, you get a glimpse of all the goodness you smelled in the aroma, then it's quickly gone and you're left with a weird metallic sourness in your mouth. You can definitely tell that peanuts were used in creating this beer, but where is the sourness coming from? A mild bitter chocolate seems to meld well with the peanuts.

M - Pretty thin with low carbonation. Definitely below average, in my opinion.

D - I finished the beer, but the sourness was very off-putting. I can't imagine that was intentional. Probably won't seek this one out again.

05-08-2011 21:45:26 | More by kevinv