Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal StoutShort's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Sudmissle on 12-21-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

11-15-2011 18:02:28 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
Chaney

District of Columbia

1.6/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to lewis1rg for hooking me up with this novelty. Thanks Ryan!

A: Poured a dark, dark brown, almost black, that came gushing out of the bottle after a hard pour... well... flat as a pancake.

S: Ashy scent, with the peanuts definitely present. I got a small hint of coffee once I set my mind to it, but mostly burnt... something...

T: Perhaps if this had been an Imperial Chocolate brew, with massive quantities of cocoa on the forefront, this might have worked. Jeez.... what I got was pretty gross actually. Think burnt, stale peanuts added to prune juice. A bit of a fruity aftertaste, but who cares?

M: Extremely thin, and that's a crying shame. The carbonation was non-existent. It is almost impossible to describe this using beer descriptor terms. I thought some oats would add something to this brew, but I was unfortunately wrong!!

O: The idea behind the brew was definitely intriguing, but as it stands, this beer fails on just about every level. My wife (who I attempted to share this brew with) and I both agree: I couldn't imagine anyone liking this beer.... and I've never said that before..

04-06-2011 00:54:03 | More by Chaney
maximum12

1.73/5  rDev -51.9%

Thanks to malty, again, as I work my way through this case plus of Short's goodness that we swapped over the weekend of the Great Taste. More than half gone, easy!

Pours a hard, unsmiling black. Less fizz & drang than my last beer, thankfully. First smell out of the gate is delicious, reminding me of my favorite candy bar, a Reese's Peanut Butter cup, & then...no, no, not the scary dark fruit smell. Please, I just had one, not again!

Uber Goober is plainly infected, dammit. One sip & the peanuts announce their presence with authority; wow! Wonderful addition to a beer, I'd like to see this done again, & more often. It holds off the meaty stout underneath nicely, but then gets stabbed in the back by the infection. Dark, bitter tartness rushes in & really ruins the effect of those magical nuts, both in taste, mouthfeel, & drinkability.

Man, this is really too bad. I can *almost* taste a really excellent, incredibly unique beer underneath the critters who've fouled all over the Goober. If Short's makes this beer again I'd be happy to try it - very, very fresh. Right now though, not good. Two drain pours in a row.

09-22-2010 02:41:25 | More by maximum12
HopHead84

1.75/5  rDev -51.4%

1/31/2010

Bottle received in a trade with Flandersned. Thanks! Poured into a snifter, the beer seems to be black, and the head is thick, creamy, and two fingers high. Retention is great and a thick sheet of lacing is left on the sides of the glass.

The nose is roasted malt, a dash of coffee, and a distinct nuttiness. There's also a slightly strange tang.

Blah, sour, tart, and tangy...not what I'm looking for in an oatmeal stout. This is infected and the beer is ruined. Beware. I was really looking forward to trying this...drain pour.

02-01-2010 05:31:39 | More by HopHead84
sleestak4life

1.8/5  rDev -50%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a medium black with a quickly dissipating tan head. Aroma is coffee, light peanuts and...dammit, there it is again. The sour smell that means for the second year in a row I’ve fallen prey to infected Goober. Taste, lightly roasty with subtle peanut butter and yep, a foul, sour finish. Mouthfeel is unpleasantly slick and lacking in body. God, when will I frickin’ learn with Shorts’ oddball releases?

07-19-2011 16:50:59 | More by sleestak4life
DefenCorps

Oregon

1.83/5  rDev -49.2%

I got a bunch of Short's beers in a recent trade with schro126. Thanks, Nathan! I drank this right after the PB&J and was rather horrified.

Inky black with a dense brown head that sticks around a while leaving no lace, this is solid stuff. The nose is heavy on the lactic sourness, this is quite terribly infected with a blend of nice roast, ground peanuts and the sourness and an ashy character. The palate is intensely sour, undrinkably so (and this from a sourhead). The heavy infection washes out all the other flavors. Drying and fruity on the finish with a lingering bitterness, this is rather awful. Light in body with a high level of carbonation, this isn't even close to good. I'd like to try it fresh, though.

02-08-2010 15:32:00 | More by DefenCorps
CortexBomb

1.95/5  rDev -45.8%

Uber Goober is a very strange beer, it has a lot of promise; a peanut-infused oatmeal stout, but the final product is borderline undrinkable for me.

It has a nice appearance and a decent peanuty aroma, the flavour however is sickly sweet, cloying, with an off-peanut edge (and oily effect) to it. I honestly had trouble drinking it, and I've tried more than one bottle to make sure it wasn't just a bad batch...the stuff just grates on my mouth.

Uber Goober is an interesting idea, but I think they flat out used too many peanuts for my particular tastes. I love the stuff when it's used in PB&J, as the Soft Parade cuts the peanut characteristics down to a dull roar and makes the stuff much more enjoyable for me. By itself though? No thanks.

01-21-2010 20:32:44 | More by CortexBomb
avaldivia

12-23-2011 04:34:34 | More by avaldivia
shuajw

Georgia

01-22-2012 05:20:50 | More by shuajw
Jefe73

2.15/5  rDev -40.3%

Received an assortment of Short's beers, this being the first one I tried.

A - Pours pitch black with a two finger dark chocolate mocha brown head that immediately disappears leaving no lacing behind.

S - Roasted dark malt aroma with plenty of sweet and bitter dark chocolate, oatmeal, nut and licorice. I was looking for more of a peanut butter type smell to come through, but I never got that.

T - Lots of tight carbonation up front with lots of sweetness and slight tart flavor. There are some nice silky chocolate notes and a little roasted nut flavor, but again I'm missing the true chocolate / peanut butter taste I was expecting. Prominent oatmeal presence along with some toffee and licorice in the back end.

D - Glad to have tried this one once, I'm not sure I would enjoy two or three in one sitting. Seems like the recipe might need a little adjusting to bring out more of the peanut flavor.

03-01-2011 18:30:07 | More by Jefe73
kscaldef

Oregon

2.15/5  rDev -40.3%

A: very dark brown, near black, no head

S: a metallic smell is detectable a distance from the glass immediately after pouring. Once that passes, the aroma is very strong nuts and peanut butter. Under that, there's some toasted notes, a little maple syrup, and some soy.

T: surprisingly thin initially, takes a few seconds for the nut flavor to build and eventually dominate. There's also a sour thread running through.

M: definitely coats the mouth. A little sticky, although not sweet. My tongue feels a bit fuzzy, like it was the morning after drinking, not the night of. Might be okay if I liked the taste, but I'm not enjoying it much. Nearly flat.

O: Just not digging this. The peanuts seem gimmicky and I don't really like the base beer.

05-04-2011 04:28:24 | More by kscaldef
Onenote81

2.17/5  rDev -39.7%

Bottle procured from readbaron.

Poured into a pint glass. I'm a little hesitant with this one. The Short's beers I've had have been hit or miss. The last one, PB & J, was an infected, vinegary mess. It didn't even warrant a review. So I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

The pour doesn't conjure up any confidence on my end. A deep dark black, but not even the slightest bit of head or lace. Nothing. This could be motor oil for all I know. The nose is eerily similar to the last peanut butter beer of theirs I tried, and we know how that turned out. Mild cocoa, jam, and PB. There's a definitive tart presence that is a little off-putting.

The body is moderately thick with carbonation spritzing it up midway through, then smooths out on the finish. Mild cocoa, coffee char, and the faintest of nuttiness. Sourness is ever-present. Eh. I don't like this. Maybe I'm a little gun-shy with these guys now, but this could have been so much better. Out she goes. Won't have this again.

02-15-2011 20:32:14 | More by Onenote81
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

2.2/5  rDev -38.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Nonic. No date or info.

Thanks to Sweemzander for this bottle.

A - Very carbonated and completely black on the pour. The head is a dense tan dollop of bubbles that's fairly loud. Poor retention and little lace on the sides. A few small legs though.

S - Heavily roasted malts with a bit of cocoa and warm alcohol envelop a light, dry peanut nose. Unfortunately, the aroma is topped by a moderate tart funk. I'll assume this is also infected.

T - Dry and roasted bitterness with a slight peanut hint and a very woody, tart, bitter flavor. Definitely infected.

M - Full-bodied and rich with a smooth feel but a bad tart and bitter finish.

D - Honestly, it's not God awful. I'd have this over a BMC, but two infected beers in a row doesn't reflect well on Short's. Unfortunately for them, the poor review reflects their mistake and I look forward to having a good bottle (hopefully).

02-03-2010 00:07:00 | More by BeerFMAndy
korguy123

Ontario (Canada)

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

Notes from 5/6/2011

A- Opaque black pour, zero head. Carbonation looks minimal. Lacing is non existent.

S- Peanuts right off the bat. The peanut smell reminds me of an ash tray. Roasted coffee, slight bitter chocolate. Soy sauce

T- Bitter roasted coffee, peanuts hit you in the back end. Zero sweetness (that I was expecting) bitter peanut/ash tray aftertaste.

M- Thin to medium bodied. creamy feeling, minimal carbonation pricking the back of the tongue.

O- Peanut is in your face and authentic. My mouth keeps going back to ash tray though. Overly bitter made this a hard one to choke down. Like the originality but won't be trying again.

05-11-2011 02:40:25 | More by korguy123
david131

2.28/5  rDev -36.7%

A- A deep, dark black liquid with only a thin ring of brown head sitting around the top of the liquid. Looks a little lifeless, but the darkness is nice.

S- Chocolate, peanut butter, and alcohol. Smells like a boozy peanut butter cup. Very very unique... I have trouble getting into it though.

T- I want to like this... But I can't. From the first sip, the combination of peanuts, sourness, and alcohol are just no good. It actually became less enjoyable the more I drank it.

M- Oily slick with a lasting sour/bitter aspect.

D- The flavor here is just not appealing. I love Short's Brewing for trying something interesting and unique, but this does not do it for me.

02-10-2010 05:08:26 | More by david131
alcstradamus

Washington

2.35/5  rDev -34.7%

Black pour with a nice looking finger of dark brown head that fizzles out.

Smell is roasted malts and caramel, along with an accompanying metallic character that may be an infection

And the taste confirms it. A distinct sourness hits immediately. Yet another infected Short's beer to go along with the PB & J. Its a shame really, but apparently it is a widespread issue.

If you have this beer already, drink it now before it gets even worse. If you don't have it yet, don't bother searching for it. Hopefully this gets re-released in the future so I can give it another shot!

01-28-2010 02:26:12 | More by alcstradamus
BrewerB

2.38/5  rDev -33.9%

Though I wish I could recall the generous BA trader who hooked me up with this brew, I can not. Thank you, whomever you are!

Skyscraper massively tall dark tan head shows a few craters but sits briefly strong atop the dark brown/black brew before receding down to liquid level and leaving scant lacing behind. Tiny bubbles hug the sides of the glass as the beer is swirled releasing aromas of charcoal, chocolate, and a strong presence of peanut butter. A prickly bitterness grabs the tongue on the first sip, acidic/citrus/wild yeast twang seems out of place. Robust maltiness, peanut character not making their way to the forefront as they should. Bitterness seems too high and not in proper balance and the beer finishes much drier than anticipated. High, prickly carbonation doesn't feel appropriate for an oatmeal stout.

Something went amiss here...it could be a problem with my storage or possibly a bad batch from the brewery. The immense carbonation and slight sourness seem to indicate an infection and are forcing my hand in pouring this beer out with more than 3/4 of it remaining.

03-24-2011 05:18:16 | More by BrewerB
Dactrius

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

08-13-2012 23:09:34 | More by Dactrius
kevinv

2.6/5  rDev -27.8%

Another Short's offering provided by beerindex... Thanks!

12oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating noted on this bottle.

A - Pours a jet black. The surface of the beer fizzed with some tan/mocha colored bubbles for about half a second, but never formed and actual head. So, the beer is black...not much else to the appearance.

S - I thought the aroma was great. It actually smells like a smooth, creamy, peanut butter. Light undertones of chocolate and dark roasted malts.

T - This is where it falls apart for me. At first, you get a glimpse of all the goodness you smelled in the aroma, then it's quickly gone and you're left with a weird metallic sourness in your mouth. You can definitely tell that peanuts were used in creating this beer, but where is the sourness coming from? A mild bitter chocolate seems to meld well with the peanuts.

M - Pretty thin with low carbonation. Definitely below average, in my opinion.

D - I finished the beer, but the sourness was very off-putting. I can't imagine that was intentional. Probably won't seek this one out again.

05-08-2011 21:45:26 | More by kevinv
BMoney575

2.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Sampled on 2-13-10

Pours extremely thick and black, with lots of bubbles and a crazy, craggy brown head. Heavy duty.

Smell is all chocolate malt with a hint of peanut butter, very sweet, and just a whiff of alcohol.

Taste is all over the place. Sweet, earthy, sour, bitter, it will be a chore to finish the whole glass.

Mouthfeel is very tart and carbonated, adds to the sourness and bitterness in a bad way.

Drinkability is poor because of the odd and slightly disgusting flavors.

Overall, a disappointing beer from a Brewery that is usually a sure thing.

02-13-2010 20:45:18 | More by BMoney575
slentz

2.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Bottle to tulip at about 50 degrees.

A: Easy pour down the center of the glass leads to about a finger worth of head that recedes very quickly. Lot of carbonation here. Head disappears to a thin ring within seconds. Not the best looking stout. 3.0

S: First smell is of burnt malts, light sweetness, a little brown sugar. Smells kind of strange, has a smokey smell and other stuff going on really cant pin point it though. 3.0

T: Taste is somewhat sour, tart, really strange. One of the strangest tasting oatmeal stouts I have ever had. Not really all that enjoyable to be honest. 2.5

M: Mouthfeel is pretty flat not much going on here. 2.5

O: Overall I really did not enjoy this at all. It is very below average. A drain pour for me. I would not seek this out again. 2.5

10-20-2011 22:46:01 | More by slentz
cetherid

Indiana

2.65/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

poured into a pint glass

A.

Beer looks like cola as it's being poured. Even the head. Soda-like and dissipates rather quickly.

S.

exactly like peanuts/peanutbutter. Honestly not much else I'm getting however. Basically like opening a jar of peanutbutter. I enjoy it, but it's a little 1 dimensional.

T.

This beer has to be infected. This beer has a farily big sourness/tartness to it. Maybe a slight peanut "shell" taste to this beer but really nothing else. Pretty disappointing.

M.

mouthfeel basically like flat pop, but a little thinner. Carbonation pretty much non-existent.

D.

Definitely low. This is a relatively hard to find beer in Indiana, plus you're playing Russian roulette with some of their beers. I really hope the fix their bottling issues as they can easily become one of my favorite breweries. Will definitely try this on tap if I have the opportunity.

03-06-2011 23:44:58 | More by cetherid
PretzelCity

2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

Got this bottle courtesy of Telix. Pours out dark, almost black with a two finger peanut shell colored head that quickly fizzles out. The nose is exactly what the bottle has promised, an oatmeal stout with peanuts. The peanut aroma isn't overpowering, but it is pleasantly noticeable in the background. Unfortunately the peanuts don't have the same effect in the taste. The flavor of the roasted oats are overpowered by the salty, oily quality of the peanuts. There is only a hint of peanut flavor in the finish. The mouthfeel is thin, oily and overall a little lacking. The peanuts make the beer bitter and hard to drink. I didn't know exactly what to expect with this one but was somehow disappointed.

01-22-2010 01:28:56 | More by PretzelCity
Gobzilla

2.7/5  rDev -25%

Poured a very dark brown almost black with a thin tan head that left a little lacing sticking to the glass. The nose was quite nice consisting of peanut butter, slight coffee, chocolate, and booze notes. The flavor caught me by surprise cause it seems like it is infected due to the sour character it has on the palate. It did have the peanut butter and choclate notes but I don't think the tart sourness is intentional. There was also a little booze and coffee notes as well. The brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a sweet, tart, and boozy finish. It did not drink that good due to the sour character on this oatmeal stout. Usaully I expect some creaminess from this sytle. Well too bad.

09-22-2010 18:55:21 | More by Gobzilla