Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal StoutShort's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Sudmissle on 12-21-2007)
JordanEllwanger

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Another rich dark opaque stout from Short's. Nearly black with a rich caramel colored head. Smells nutty like peanuts along with malty undertones. Tastes like a stout, rich malt and coffee grinds with a slight hint of peanuts. While slightly mellower than other stouts I have tried it still has some good twists in there. An innovative beer.
Cheers...

12-20-2009 09:36:54 | More by JordanEllwanger
akorsak

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

A bottle from Flick's in Lambertville, MI. Smells fresh, so I'm hoping for better luck.

Rich chocolate, smooth oatmeal and thick peanuts. The nose doesn't lack for imagination. The taste is significantly improved, with peanuts driving the initial flavor. That same metallic off flavor pops up, reminding me of myriad bottling issues at Short's. I'm afraid that this newer bottle isn't much better, barely pushing the taste up to 3.0 and the overall up to 3.0 also.

***

Thanks to Telix for this 12 oz bottle. Despite the recent infection warnings, I'm plowing ahead.

A: The oatmeal stout is big and black. The pour conjured but a finger of dark tan-hued brown that stood out against the blackness of the body. That head, sadly, disappeared quickly.

S: The nose is heavy on the stout side, with oatmeal and lactic sweetness prominent. The dry peanut aroma still stands out, a very interesting flavor that is far stronger than the normal nuttiness.

T: The infection is present. On the upside, the start and finish of each sip deliver a solid flavor. Peanut flavors, dry and roasted, lead off. The end of each sip is dark and roasted, a full stout with chocolate and coffee. The oatmeal and lactose aspects of the nose were lost in translation, too bad. In between, not so great but hardly the 'severe quality control issue' that some would call it, especially when it is cold.

M: As the ale warms, the peanut and stout fade into the metallic flavors. A peanut-centric stout is intriguing, and the nose starts out strong.

D: Not quite a drain pour, the sour flavors become more evident the warmer the ale gets. Get it cold and the start and end are good.

02-05-2010 22:40:32 | More by akorsak

03-24-2012 00:40:20 | More by szmnnl99
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

Massive thanks goes out to beeruser for sharing this one with funkydelic and I at an impromptu tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller sampler wine glass. Poured a deep dark brown with a minimal off-white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted peanuts, salty, and slight fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, nutty, and subtle saltiness. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Nothing too awe-inspring going on in this one at all. It honestly reminded me of eating roasted peanuts on both the aroma and the flavor. More so in the aroma though, as it wasn't as salty in the flavor fortunately. Glad I got to try this one, but doubt I would have it again.

05-20-2011 12:52:39 | More by thagr81us
jale

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Pours a deep brown almost black with a finger of brown head which quickly dissapates.

S: boiled peanuts(it's a Georgia thing) light roasted malt

T: peanuts, chocolate, earthy and a very light sourness.

M: Somewhat thin and lacking cabonation.

D: Glad to try it, but one is enough for me.

01-11-2011 23:18:23 | More by jale
drabmuh

Maryland

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

Bottle shared by Adam, thanks.

This beer smells like the ground after the circus was in town. Beer is black and has a thin brown head of small bubbles, low carbonation and low lacing.

Aroma is like roasted peanut shells but a distant aroma, like it has infected the air.

Beer is a little thin and finishes with this strong peanut shell / roast taste. It's considerably thinner than I was expecting. It's not as bad as most of the reviews make it out to be, you can definitely tell that it was made with peanuts. Perhaps the roast of the peanuts and the roast of the grain is what is clashing on the palate, the finish is a little rough. I don't think I'll have it again.

03-03-2011 21:24:17 | More by drabmuh
vande

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

I love Short's and Short's creativity. Any time I come across some, I try to pick it up. Other than the occasional infected bottle, they've been an enjoyable and wacky brewery to sample from.

This bottle was no different...

A ~ Dark blackish-brown pour with a thin kackie tan layer of head, dissipating quickly to leave a light ring kissing the glass as it lingers..

S ~ Roasted peanut buttery malts. An interesting blend.

T ~ The aftertaste truly reminds me of that peanut butter sticky feeling left in your mouth after you've taken a bit out of a peanut butter [creamy] sandwich...

M ~ Thin to Medium body... bit of carbonation... comparable to other brews I've had.. Would have liked it to be a bit heavier I think.

O ~ an experiment worth a try.. possibly blend this with a strawberry lambic or framboise? I know Short's does a PB&J, which is also interesting. The last one I had held a bit of a soury funk to it...so not sure it was 100% all together..

04-22-2011 04:20:45 | More by vande
otto251068

Tennessee

3.33/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Westmalle chalice. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours a dark, deep brown. A little light comes through around the edges to show the burnt carmel color. The tiniest bit of tan head fades quickly to a few wisps. No carbonation clinging to the glass, no lacing.

Smell: A little funkiness here, not really sure what to think about that. There is a good amount of peanuty aroma though. After the pour there is a bit of a fruity smell, not citrusy, but more of a ripe berry. Alcohol, and an earthy smell come out after warming.

Taste: More sourness hits, only this time its my taste buds, and not my nostrils. The middle has plenty of burnt flavors. There are some peanut flavors in there, but mostly I get a burnt, earthy taste. Finishes with some bitterness, and then some serious alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a light carbonation. It finishes clean, with only some burnt notes and a slight bitterness lingering. Very smooth. The level of carbonation is a bit low for my liking, but fits according to the style.

Overall: Without a lot of bold, overpowering flavors in this beer, combined with the low level of carbonation, this beer is easy to drink. It finishes clean as well.

12-28-2010 23:50:54 | More by otto251068
jlindros

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to grub for this interesting guy.

Pours a darker colored head that barely covers the beer, then fades like it was just a dream, but the beer is pitch black and semi syrupy.

THe nose is loaded with peanuts, peanutbutter, a light brown toasty malt, some roasted malts, a bit of chocolate malt as well, and very slight burnt coffee.

Taste starts a bit thin, with some light acrid burnt coffee grinds and acidity, then some roasted malts and a bit of chocolate malt, very light oatmeal and flaked oats, also plenty of peanuts and peanutbutter flavors but not nearly as much as the nose had. The acrid burnt coffee grind really starts to come through, like I got from the Cup-o-Joe from Shorts but not quite as much as that one had. THe acidity is pretty strong too and comes through on the finish, as it dries a bit from the original somewhat sweet flavor, it started syrupy and finishes somewhat sticky, with more lingering peanuts.

Mouth is medium to a bit heavier bodied, but syrupy and thin at the same time, like it's just missing a lot of malt, and little carbonation.

Overall fairly meh, some off flavors, the peanuts were interesting but not great, the acrid and acidic coffee just kills it, as well as the feel that its lacking some malts.

04-11-2011 01:12:40 | More by jlindros
harrymel

Washington

Bottled: unk

A: pours a dark brown on black with a thin sheet of mocha foam which falls quickly to a scattered sheet of the same. No lace. Clarity irrelevant.
S: Sitting with my face a good 18" from the glass, I can smell the roasted oatmeal malts. I can smell the peanuts. As I approach the glass I get even more peanuts, some cardboard, some burnt toast. These all meld well enough, and the beer creates the novelty it adverts. I also like it (but in limited encounters)
T: Hmm, initially sweet, then a pinch of tartness and then I start to be able to try and appreciate the flavors. The beer has a slight soy sauce flavor on it (which I really appreciate in SA Triple Bock '97), but I'm not encouraged by the circumstances here. Some bitter soil tones here as well.
M: Medium on thin bodied with moderate carb. Semi-dry finish.
O: I'm a bit torn on this beer. On one hand the nose is quite strong and meets the advertised tones of the beer. On the other hand, the flavor profile indicates something is not quite right. Hard to tell if this is a yeast issue, sanitation issue, oil issue or simply my palate on the intended beer. After I've had half the glass, the tartness has become less evident allowing the peanuts and malts to resurface again. Would I drink again? Yes. Would I prefer on tap? Yes - as I've had less issues with novelty beers deviating from their former selves associated with bottle conditions and dating issues. Worth a peak as a beer.

10-15-2011 08:08:02 | More by harrymel
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

12oz courtesy of kzoobrew. Into a Stone IRS glass.

A: Very dark brown with a light tan colored head that never fully developed, just a ring of bubbles around the outside of the glass. Completely opaque. Decent looking stout.

S: Fairly strong chocolate right away, then leads into some bread and a pretty strong note of unsweetened peanut butter on top of that. As it continues to breathe, there is a decent bit of dark fruits that show themselves. I can't help but be reminded of smelling a pb&j. Maybe some notes of roast and coffee at the end but they take a back seat to the peanut notes. Maybe just a slightly sour note? Interesting.

T: Not quite as much chocolate here as the nose initially made me think. There's a decent amount of peanut notes and a lot more roast than the notes lead on. A few fruity notes as well. Really an interesting taste. I can't tell if there's a full on infection going on, but there's a bit of a sour note on the finish. Not too bad.

M: Lighter side of the mouthfeel spectrum, decent carbonation, kind of a sticky finish on the lips. A bit more body would help this out a bit.

O: It wasn't hard to split this bottle between my girlfriend, and she definitely liked it more than I did. It isn't too bad of a beer, but just not really my thing. My girlfriend did really enjoy it though. Definitely interesting, and glad to try it.

04-07-2011 00:21:15 | More by pokesbeerdude
nickd717

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

12oz bottle shared by bring - thanks, Barry! I heard this one might be a little infected/tart, and what do you know...it was. Not necessarily a terrible thing though.

Pours black with a nice one-finger peanut butter colored head that leaves light foam on the beer as it settles. Impressive for a beer that presumably has head-killing peanut oils in it.

Aroma is roast and lots of peanut butter, with some wild tartness.

Flavor is very similar to the aroma. Really a great peanut butter flavor in there. Without the tartness, this could be an impressive beer, and hell, it's still not bad. It is interesting, that's for sure, especially with the lactic tartness.

Medium bodied and fairly smooth on the palate with mild acidity.

Drinkability is average. I like what they did here, and appreciate the fact that it's probably tough to add peanuts without getting the beer infected in some way. My advice is to drink this as fresh as possible!

01-29-2010 23:41:23 | More by nickd717
oline73

Maryland

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown to black color with barely a layer of dark tan head. The head goes away completely, but that's probably due to the peanut.

Smell: I'm picking up quite a bit of roast along with some peanut. There is some sweetness in there as well. A bit faint.

Taste: This is a roasty stout with a sweetness that reminds me of a milk stout, maybe a little sour note. After the initial taste is when I pick up the peanut. It's a nice blend of flavors. The finish is bitter from the sweetness and the roast.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, perhaps a bit thin given the style and the taste. The carbonation is very mild and the finish is quite dry, I would have expected it to be a bit slick, but it isn't.

Overall: This is a very interesting beer that I'm glad I got the chance to try. I don't think it would ever be a go to stout for me, but it will be my go to peanut stout from here on out.

04-15-2011 03:46:29 | More by oline73
scottfrie

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

12oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours an extremely dark brown with a thin, short lived head despite a rough pour. Minimal lace.
S: Huge dominant notes of dry roasted peanuts! Pretty cool to smell this in a beer although I must say it's not that appetizing.
T: There is a bit of nuttiness to the taste but actually for the most part this tastes like a pretty normal oatmeal stout. Flavors are dark and roasted, and the aftertaste is very dry.
M: Fizzy, tingly carbonation over a medium-thick body and a rather sharp mouthfeel. Not the best.
O: Another unique idea from a rather unique brewery. I have to say though, I don't think I've found a Short's beer that I've really wanted to drink again. Glad I got to try this once though.

05-26-2011 02:16:22 | More by scottfrie
nrbw23

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Pours a dark brownish black color with a pretty small tan head. Head doesn't have much retention and no lacing.

S- Smell is very Earthy, and the peanuts are really easy to pick up. Peanuts dominate this brew, but I can also pick up faint coffee, chocolate and roasted malts.

T- Roasted malts, bit of brown sugar, chocolate, and oats. A bit of peanuts here but not anything like the nose.

M- Creamy and smooth for sure. Medium in body and low carbonation.

O- Interesting brew for sure. Glad I split this one with fiveo2270 I think it would be a little hard to drink the whole bottle myself.

04-11-2011 22:06:43 | More by nrbw23
robwestcott

Indiana

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

poured cold and quickly from the bottle a near pitch black to a founders brewing goblet with nearly no head whatsoever, and the thin tan wisp that was present faded super quick.

aroma, as advertised, toasted peanuts, and a bit of coffee and english muffin in the wayback.

hmmm... this ones a little wierd. roasty malts, peanuts, muted chocolate.

light bodied for the style, medium carbonation, sweet.

drinkable - hmmm... one or two if you're feeling nutty.

overall - cool ass experiment - A for effort. but i'll stick with this one sixer i think.

04-27-2011 01:05:33 | More by robwestcott
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle courtesy of TheSevenDuffs. Glad to try this off kilter beer! No date on the bottle served between 6-8C into a tulip.

A: A hard pour produces minimal brown head with next to no retention and almost zero lacing. A thick stout is clearly on the prowl here though with an opaque body.
S: Thick dark roasted notes with molasses, an oily peanut butter like aroma comes about too. An odd mix.
T: More of the same on the palate. Lots of roasty notes, with an oily peanut that lingers and keeps some of the sweetness back. Personally the two flavours don't pair very well, although they do come across at two different times...
M: Oily, very low carbonation. Cloying at first yet finishes oily and peanuty.
O: Glad I've tried this concoction... Not sure I am going to be looking for this one ever again except to foist on others. Nevertheless, nice try at it.

08-24-2011 01:35:39 | More by kjyost
homebrew311

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

A: dark brown/black, thin tan head, no lacing, opaque

S: the peanut comes through very strong up front, smells like peanut shell with rich notes of chocolate in the background. Very interesting.

T: the peanut doesn't translate to good flavor as the nose would suggest, what your left with a a somewhat bitter, almost acrid peanut quality with some dark chocolate backing it up. This beer isn't bad, but the nose promises something special and the taste unfortunately doesn't deliver

MF: thin body, medium carbonation

D: this beer is definitely worth a try, very unique, I think the base beer needs tweaking to better complement the peanut.

02-14-2011 03:56:54 | More by homebrew311