Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Sudmissle on 12-21-2007

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle from the new 6-pack seasonal. Tremendous roast aroma, black with fabulous brown head. Carbonation is right there. The taste is very sour, I cannot imagine that this is intentional. Yes, peanut, yes stout. But sour? Above average mouthfeel, but sour is one step backward for me, one big step backward for the masses.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to Bay01 for sending me this one!

Pours very black with dark red highlights when held up to the light. There is no head but there is an oily film on the top of the beer. Very little lacing that drops down into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smells of dark roasted malts, oatmeal, and peanut butter. Very rich taste of dark malt, roasted oats, and roasted peanuts. Definitely lives up to its name in the taste category. I don't think I have ever seen another beer that is brewed with peanuts. The mouthfeel is what kills this one for me. No carbonation and very watery on the palate. There is also a weird acidity that lingers on the tongue after each sip. Overall, this is another good and interesting beer from Short's that I am glad I got to try. I love peanuts so this was something neat to see. I just wish the mouthfeel was a bit better.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to my brother, as always, for picking up loads of Short's in Michigan for me.

Pours a nice medium brown color with a bit of a light tan head. The nose really does bring some peanut character through with a bit of mild bread behind that. Taste is light peanut and not too much else. They hit the concept but it just doesn't do all that much for me. The feel is nice and a bit creamy, really bringing the flavor forward, which is good as there really isn't a terrible amount of flavor there. Drinks fairly well but is one dimensional.

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

Another of the new shorts bottles that I get to try, I think I only have three left and damnit I will make it through them all tonight! Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 1/27/2010.

The pour was near spot on. Dark as night with a huge tan head that just would not quit. Seriously impressed here with the look of this one as it really would hold its own with just about any stout you put it up against. Weird aroma, dark chocolate and hints of coffee are layered with nice notes of peanuts and hints of a dark fruit note as well. Even as it warms I pick this up, almost sweet cherry like in nature. Such a wonderfully smooth and well blended profile. Rich dark chocolate and vanilla flavors blend seemlessly with a healthy dose of peanuts and nice fruit after tastes. Creamy, great body with a semi sweet aftertaste and a long and well drawn out finish.

Overall this was not at all what I was expecting. This was simply an excellent stout and something I could drink several of in row with ease.

2.9/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Another shared bottle from Adam - thanks.

Pours black with an initial faint tan head which fades rapidly to nothing. No lace on glass. The nose is not surprizingly nutty for a beer made with peanuts. Power of suggestion says = peanuts in here. Tastes band-aidishly plastic with a "brown" earthy dirt-like finish. Kind of like the peanuts weren't wasted or something. Mouthfeel is bland. In all fairness I do note some possible interference from previous glasses. Overall, this is unique, but would not seek after it.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Huge thanks to Ryan for sending me this great box of Shorts beers! Another one shared with friends yesterday.

A: The pour is a fairly viscous black liquid with a fluffy mocha colored foam.

S: At first sniff, the peanuts are not all that present, but as the beer begins to warm up a bit, it comes through. The roasted malt and chocolate aromas are a bit more powerful though. The oatmeal provides a bit of a cookie smell.

T: Like the nose, the peanuts come out a bit more as the beer comes to temperature. The oatmeal lends the beer a peanut butter cookie type flavor, and the chocolate flavor in the beer goes very nicely.

M: The body is nice and medium to full with a low level of carbonation, providing a smooth creamy mouthfeel.

D: Perhaps I'm simply a victim of the "interesting" factor, but I found this beer to be very enjoyable. I really love peanut butter and while it wasn't as "peanut-buttery" as I would have liked, it still was a nice beer.

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown to black color with barely a layer of dark tan head. The head goes away completely, but that's probably due to the peanut.

Smell: I'm picking up quite a bit of roast along with some peanut. There is some sweetness in there as well. A bit faint.

Taste: This is a roasty stout with a sweetness that reminds me of a milk stout, maybe a little sour note. After the initial taste is when I pick up the peanut. It's a nice blend of flavors. The finish is bitter from the sweetness and the roast.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, perhaps a bit thin given the style and the taste. The carbonation is very mild and the finish is quite dry, I would have expected it to be a bit slick, but it isn't.

Overall: This is a very interesting beer that I'm glad I got the chance to try. I don't think it would ever be a go to stout for me, but it will be my go to peanut stout from here on out.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

On tap @ the Sunset Grill & Tap (Allston, MA) on 3/11/11. Served in a tulip glass.

Pours a dense black in the glass, topped with roughly a ½ finger of mocha colored head. This retains nicely, with some rich edges that leaves back some thick foamy swathes of lacing. The aroma smells like straight up roasted peanuts in the nose, which is quickly followed by notes of chocolate, burnt malt, caramel, and some light green floral hop character. A little bit of alcohol warmth is making its presence known as well.

The taste mirrors the nose, with a distinct roasted peanut flavor that melds well with the additional notes of dark malts and bitter hops that are present. Some sweeter flavors of chocolate and some lighter caramel and flaked oatmeal sweeten this up a bit. The finish is all peanuts, which lingers with some spicy alcohol notes. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with a big sharp creaminess to it at first but despite the size of this, things seems a little flat and thin at times on the sides of the overall feel. I swear that they had this listed as over 9% ABV and this felt like it, with some sharp warmth (including the aforementioned sweetness and dry spiciness from the alcohol) really giving this a bit more attitude than it feels like it needs.

While there was certainly no shortage of Short's flair here (the peanut flavor really is well done) but the big alcohol presence and uneven feel kept this one from reaching its true potential. I could have used a little less Uber with my Goober here I think.

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to grub for this interesting guy.

Pours a darker colored head that barely covers the beer, then fades like it was just a dream, but the beer is pitch black and semi syrupy.

THe nose is loaded with peanuts, peanutbutter, a light brown toasty malt, some roasted malts, a bit of chocolate malt as well, and very slight burnt coffee.

Taste starts a bit thin, with some light acrid burnt coffee grinds and acidity, then some roasted malts and a bit of chocolate malt, very light oatmeal and flaked oats, also plenty of peanuts and peanutbutter flavors but not nearly as much as the nose had. The acrid burnt coffee grind really starts to come through, like I got from the Cup-o-Joe from Shorts but not quite as much as that one had. THe acidity is pretty strong too and comes through on the finish, as it dries a bit from the original somewhat sweet flavor, it started syrupy and finishes somewhat sticky, with more lingering peanuts.

Mouth is medium to a bit heavier bodied, but syrupy and thin at the same time, like it's just missing a lot of malt, and little carbonation.

Overall fairly meh, some off flavors, the peanuts were interesting but not great, the acrid and acidic coffee just kills it, as well as the feel that its lacking some malts.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottle shared by Adam, thanks.

This beer smells like the ground after the circus was in town. Beer is black and has a thin brown head of small bubbles, low carbonation and low lacing.

Aroma is like roasted peanut shells but a distant aroma, like it has infected the air.

Beer is a little thin and finishes with this strong peanut shell / roast taste. It's considerably thinner than I was expecting. It's not as bad as most of the reviews make it out to be, you can definitely tell that it was made with peanuts. Perhaps the roast of the peanuts and the roast of the grain is what is clashing on the palate, the finish is a little rough. I don't think I'll have it again.

4.12/5  rDev +14.8%

Another from eyebrews. Thank you Jack!

Poured into darkness snifter.

Pours 1/2 finger of fizzy dark tan head. Fades to a thick ring. Pretty good retention leaving splattered lace. Color is a jet black.

Aroma: Wow, a lot of peanuts going on here. This is very unique. Reminds me of peanut butter almost. I also get oats and chocolate. Some roasted malts present with slight hops in the background.

Taste: I get a lot of peanuts again and some peanut oil. I get the oats and chocolate again. Grassy hops more present. There is some kind of fruit flavor present, but I can't figure it out. It tastes sour again, which I have noticed with this new release of beers. I don't understand why all of have this distinguishable taste to it. Roasted malt aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, smooth, and creamy. Medium to full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends dry and roasted.

Overall, a very interesting beer. I loved the peanuts and I can't wait for the pb & j. Pretty drinkable, but I don't know why the label says it is imperial at the abv it has. I am really glad I got to try this one. However, I wish the sourness didn't affect it so much.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle shared by afdempse. Thanks Adam!

The beer appears a dark brown shade with a small beige head.

The aroma is quite interesting, with notes of roast, light chocolate, sweet malts, dark fruits, and a prominent scent of you guessed it...peanuts. It smells like we're gonna get drunk at the circus.

The flavor brings mostly peanuts, along with some roast character and a mild funk presence. The beer is well done, albeit another wild idea from Short's. Intriguing and fun, I enjoyed this beer and would have it again. A small sample was plenty for me, however.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

This is a re-review. I have left the original review with the original scores at the bottom of this review.

Thanks to RBlaszak for sending this bottle my way. Unlike the last time I had this beer, this beer is not a gusher. It pours a very dark brown color with a tan head. The aroma is pretty nice. I get some peanut butter and chocolate, as well as a little bit of roasted malt.

The flavor is more of the same. The nutty flavor from the peanut butter goes very well with the chocolate and roasted malt. There is also a little bit of fruity tartness in the flavor which may be early signs of infection - but I can't be sure because this is the only bottle I had.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.5-2.5-2-3-2 = D+
Thanks to TasteTester for sending this beer to me.

The beer opens as a huge gusher. Looks like this one is infected.

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with a huge tan head. The aroma is peanuts with tartness. It also smells like the rum balls we used to make around Christmas time. The flavor starts off normal with some roasted malts and light peanuts before giving way to an extremely sour cherry character which is not appealing. Medium mouthfeel and prickly carbonation.

I want to like Shorts, but until they get their sanitation under control I won't be trading for any more of their beers.

3.07/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bruery glass. It poured a dark, cola like color with a thin and fizzy head to it. The head faded down to almost nothing after a minute or so.

The aroma really smells like peanuts. It reminds me a little like a bag of ball game peanuts in that you get the shells, nuts, salt and a bit of a peanut buttery flavor. Behind the peanuts I get just a bit of a roasty, bitterness.

The peanuts are also immediately recognizable in the flavor. Like the aroma, I get a lot of the salty, earthy, peanut shell to it, I'm kind of reminded of being at a ballgame. I get some roastedness to the nutty flavor as well. I'd say they they did a pretty good job of getting some real peanut flavor in it, but I didn't get much of the stout flavors unfortunately .

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style, with moderate carbonation. Overall it was a very interesting beer. It really did taste like a roasty bag of peanuts. I got a lot of the salty, earthy, peanut shell flavors to it and not nearly as much of the peanut butter flavor I expected. It was interesting and a cool beer to try but I couldn't drink that much of it. In my opinion, a little more stout flavors coming through would have gone a long way. It also felt a bit salty overall. Very cool beer overall, and they did a pretty good job at getting some real peanut flavor to come through. I just don't think it was for me.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours pitch black and completely opaque without even the faintest bit of lighter colored hints when held to a light source and a two finger dark chocolate mocha brown head that immediately disappears leaving no lacing behind.

Slightly roasted dark malt aroma with plenty of sweet and bitter dark chocolate, oatmeal, nut and licorice. It smells pretty sweet but there is an underlying roasted peanut scent.

Lots of tight carbonation up front and it is slightly infected/oxidizes with lots of sweetness and slight tart flavor. There are some nice silky chocolate notes that are slightly roasted. Prominent oatmeal presence along with some toffee and licorice and a smooth slightly creamy roasted peanut favor.

1.86/5  rDev -48.2%

Bottle received in a trade with Flandersned. Thanks! Poured into a snifter, the beer seems to be black, and the head is thick, creamy, and two fingers high. Retention is great and a thick sheet of lacing is left on the sides of the glass.

The nose is roasted malt, a dash of coffee, and a distinct nuttiness. There's also a slightly strange tang.

Blah, sour, tart, and tangy...not what I'm looking for in an oatmeal stout. This is infected and the beer is ruined. Beware. I was really looking forward to trying this...drain pour.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasting notes from 4/14/11
BA review #400. Poured in to Duvel tuip.

A - Poured dark black with a half finger of light brown head.

S - A good peanut nose up front followed up some typical stout smells - roasted malts, molasses and some noticeable alcohol.

T - Roasted malts, peanuts, some bitterness. The peanut flavour it not nearly as prominent as it was in the nose but is still evident. An interesting palate.

M - Medium body, lightly carbonated.

O - An interesting beer and one that I would drink again, but not one that I will go too far out of my way to hunt down.

2.18/5  rDev -39.3%

A: very dark brown, near black, no head

S: a metallic smell is detectable a distance from the glass immediately after pouring. Once that passes, the aroma is very strong nuts and peanut butter. Under that, there's some toasted notes, a little maple syrup, and some soy.

T: surprisingly thin initially, takes a few seconds for the nut flavor to build and eventually dominate. There's also a sour thread running through.

M: definitely coats the mouth. A little sticky, although not sweet. My tongue feels a bit fuzzy, like it was the morning after drinking, not the night of. Might be okay if I liked the taste, but I'm not enjoying it much. Nearly flat.

O: Just not digging this. The peanuts seem gimmicky and I don't really like the base beer.

3.27/5  rDev -8.9%

A bottle from Flick's in Lambertville, MI. Smells fresh, so I'm hoping for better luck.

Rich chocolate, smooth oatmeal and thick peanuts. The nose doesn't lack for imagination. The taste is significantly improved, with peanuts driving the initial flavor. That same metallic off flavor pops up, reminding me of myriad bottling issues at Short's. I'm afraid that this newer bottle isn't much better, barely pushing the taste up to 3.0 and the overall up to 3.0 also.

Thanks to Telix for this 12 oz bottle. Despite the recent infection warnings, I'm plowing ahead.

A: The oatmeal stout is big and black. The pour conjured but a finger of dark tan-hued brown that stood out against the blackness of the body. That head, sadly, disappeared quickly.

S: The nose is heavy on the stout side, with oatmeal and lactic sweetness prominent. The dry peanut aroma still stands out, a very interesting flavor that is far stronger than the normal nuttiness.

T: The infection is present. On the upside, the start and finish of each sip deliver a solid flavor. Peanut flavors, dry and roasted, lead off. The end of each sip is dark and roasted, a full stout with chocolate and coffee. The oatmeal and lactose aspects of the nose were lost in translation, too bad. In between, not so great but hardly the 'severe quality control issue' that some would call it, especially when it is cold.

M: As the ale warms, the peanut and stout fade into the metallic flavors. A peanut-centric stout is intriguing, and the nose starts out strong.

D: Not quite a drain pour, the sour flavors become more evident the warmer the ale gets. Get it cold and the start and end are good.

2.8/5  rDev -22%

Poured a very dark brown almost black with a thin tan head that left a little lacing sticking to the glass. The nose was quite nice consisting of peanut butter, slight coffee, chocolate, and booze notes. The flavor caught me by surprise cause it seems like it is infected due to the sour character it has on the palate. It did have the peanut butter and choclate notes but I don't think the tart sourness is intentional. There was also a little booze and coffee notes as well. The brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a sweet, tart, and boozy finish. It did not drink that good due to the sour character on this oatmeal stout. Usaully I expect some creaminess from this sytle. Well too bad.

4.13/5  rDev +15%

Picked up a bottle over Xmas when I was in the Detroit area. This one's truly black, only the faintest of brown edges appears when you really squint. A dense, mocha head appeared during the pour and refused to go away, even after the glass was empty. Chunky lacing, almost streaky, covered the glass. Nice aroma. You can smell the peanuts for sure, pleasant roast, earthy and sweet with a bit of fruit, faint licorice and cherry. Now this is a sweet stout! Lots of lactose and malt, roast, chocolate, nuts, raisins, and a bit of berry sourness in the finish. Bitterness was present throughout, but was fairly restrained. The peanuts are there, but aren't overpowering. Medium bodied with average carbonation, pretty smooth and silky. For such a sweet beer, this didn't feel unbalanced at all. Just enough bitterness and a fruity tartness kept it all in check. Good stuff.

4.27/5  rDev +18.9%

Huge thanks to my boy Derek for hooking me up large, a true gentleman. Growler split with grub.

Pours a dark and opaque black, no light gets through, medium sized weird kind of greyish brown head forms, settles to a thin ring, some lace chunks stick to the glass, looks nice.

Smell is cool, sweet and malty, lots of fruit, light nuttiness, caramel and brown sugar, oats, honey, light chocolate milk, touch of roast, very sweet and malty, a bit of licorice and almost a cherry sweetness.

Taste is quite sweet, lots of caramel, lactose, chocolate, light roast and some licorice, lightly nutty, brown sugar, oats, lightly toasty, raisin, fruity sourness in the finish cool nuttiness, some alcohol, does have some peanut butter character.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, goes down pretty smooth. Even though sweet it isn't overly sweet. Thanks a ton Derek!

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

On tap at the Clarkston Union. This was dark brown and opaque, with a thick tan head thereupon. It smells sweet and all malts, peanuts somewhat noticeable. If I didn't expect peanuts I would have been searching for a way to describe the aroma, but you can tell there's something new in there.

The beer tastes a little richer than it smells, sort of sweet in a milk stout way, but creamy in an oatmeal stout way. The flavors are roasted malts and nuts, pretty good but not something I crave in a beer.

This was a one and done for me, same as many Shorts beers. They try a lot of odd things, but Huma Lupa Licious is the only one I return to regularly.

3.61/5  rDev +0.6%

12oz bottle provided by Jale, who was extra generous...Black pour, only a light tan head for a second then its gone...The aroma is the star of the show, its a dead on ringer for a creamy peanut butter pie. Lightly roasted, but incredibly creamy and smooth. Short's nailed it here...The taste loses a lot of the creamy peanut butter, still present but greatly subdued, disappointing. This is very roasted, but has a dominance of stale black coffee that is so strong that I don't even want to drink it. Monumental failure to me to not transition the aroma remotely in the taste.

Worth giving a shot if you like peanut butter, can't say anything wonderful things about how real the aroma is. Just doesn't carry over to the taste, which wouldn't be bad if was tastey itself, but its not.

reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown almost black with a finger mocha hed

smell: peanuts, mocha, roast, coffee

taste: oatmeal, peanuts,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium to full body, creamy smooth

overall: very nice oatmeal stout. one of the better beers from Short's.

Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout from Short's Brewing Company