Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal StoutShort's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Sudmissle on 12-21-2007)
2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

Notes from 5/6/2011

A- Opaque black pour, zero head. Carbonation looks minimal. Lacing is non existent.

S- Peanuts right off the bat. The peanut smell reminds me of an ash tray. Roasted coffee, slight bitter chocolate. Soy sauce

T- Bitter roasted coffee, peanuts hit you in the back end. Zero sweetness (that I was expecting) bitter peanut/ash tray aftertaste.

M- Thin to medium bodied. creamy feeling, minimal carbonation pricking the back of the tongue.

O- Peanut is in your face and authentic. My mouth keeps going back to ash tray though. Overly bitter made this a hard one to choke down. Like the originality but won't be trying again.

2.6/5  rDev -27.8%

Another Short's offering provided by beerindex... Thanks!

12oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating noted on this bottle.

A - Pours a jet black. The surface of the beer fizzed with some tan/mocha colored bubbles for about half a second, but never formed and actual head. So, the beer is black...not much else to the appearance.

S - I thought the aroma was great. It actually smells like a smooth, creamy, peanut butter. Light undertones of chocolate and dark roasted malts.

T - This is where it falls apart for me. At first, you get a glimpse of all the goodness you smelled in the aroma, then it's quickly gone and you're left with a weird metallic sourness in your mouth. You can definitely tell that peanuts were used in creating this beer, but where is the sourness coming from? A mild bitter chocolate seems to meld well with the peanuts.

M - Pretty thin with low carbonation. Definitely below average, in my opinion.

D - I finished the beer, but the sourness was very off-putting. I can't imagine that was intentional. Probably won't seek this one out again.

2.15/5  rDev -40.3%

A: very dark brown, near black, no head

S: a metallic smell is detectable a distance from the glass immediately after pouring. Once that passes, the aroma is very strong nuts and peanut butter. Under that, there's some toasted notes, a little maple syrup, and some soy.

T: surprisingly thin initially, takes a few seconds for the nut flavor to build and eventually dominate. There's also a sour thread running through.

M: definitely coats the mouth. A little sticky, although not sweet. My tongue feels a bit fuzzy, like it was the morning after drinking, not the night of. Might be okay if I liked the taste, but I'm not enjoying it much. Nearly flat.

O: Just not digging this. The peanuts seem gimmicky and I don't really like the base beer.

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

C: Clear-ish
H: Almost Black
N: PEANNNUTS! OHH YEAHHH!

Big thanks to DimenHetfield for sharing this beer with me. This is one of those beers I have been looking for, and dying to try. Was it worth it? Yes! The beer is jammed packed with Peanuts and Roasted Malt all over the flavor. JUST WOW! Quite like what I expected heaven to be like (minus the hops!).

The roasted peanuts bring me back to my childhood, and eating peanuts at the old Tampa Stadium watching the Buccaneers play..well lose with my father. GREAT MEMORIES! When a beer takes you back to a special place in your life, that is how you know this is a very special beer! I will be hunting more of this down!

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

poured cold and quickly from the bottle a near pitch black to a founders brewing goblet with nearly no head whatsoever, and the thin tan wisp that was present faded super quick.

aroma, as advertised, toasted peanuts, and a bit of coffee and english muffin in the wayback.

hmmm... this ones a little wierd. roasty malts, peanuts, muted chocolate.

light bodied for the style, medium carbonation, sweet.

drinkable - hmmm... one or two if you're feeling nutty.

overall - cool ass experiment - A for effort. but i'll stick with this one sixer i think.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to Bay01 for sending me this one!

Pours very black with dark red highlights when held up to the light. There is no head but there is an oily film on the top of the beer. Very little lacing that drops down into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smells of dark roasted malts, oatmeal, and peanut butter. Very rich taste of dark malt, roasted oats, and roasted peanuts. Definitely lives up to its name in the taste category. I don't think I have ever seen another beer that is brewed with peanuts. The mouthfeel is what kills this one for me. No carbonation and very watery on the palate. There is also a weird acidity that lingers on the tongue after each sip. Overall, this is another good and interesting beer from Short's that I am glad I got to try. I love peanuts so this was something neat to see. I just wish the mouthfeel was a bit better.

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

I love Short's and Short's creativity. Any time I come across some, I try to pick it up. Other than the occasional infected bottle, they've been an enjoyable and wacky brewery to sample from.

This bottle was no different...

A ~ Dark blackish-brown pour with a thin kackie tan layer of head, dissipating quickly to leave a light ring kissing the glass as it lingers..

S ~ Roasted peanut buttery malts. An interesting blend.

T ~ The aftertaste truly reminds me of that peanut butter sticky feeling left in your mouth after you've taken a bit out of a peanut butter [creamy] sandwich...

M ~ Thin to Medium body... bit of carbonation... comparable to other brews I've had.. Would have liked it to be a bit heavier I think.

O ~ an experiment worth a try.. possibly blend this with a strawberry lambic or framboise? I know Short's does a PB&J, which is also interesting. The last one I had held a bit of a soury funk to it...so not sure it was 100% all together..

3.78/5  rDev +5%

(12oz bottle from rayl101!). Pours near black/dark brown with thin khaki head. Aroma has lots of peanut, peanut shell along with some dark chocolate/cocoa nibs. Smells very rich. Taste is roasty bitter, but the sweet, slightly tangy malts quickly cancel out the roast. Medium bodied with a creamy texture. The finish is dry, but not overly done. This is a well-balanced beer with several things working together pretty nicely. I think they did a good job here.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasting notes from 4/14/11
BA review #400. Poured in to Duvel tuip.

A - Poured dark black with a half finger of light brown head.

S - A good peanut nose up front followed up some typical stout smells - roasted malts, molasses and some noticeable alcohol.

T - Roasted malts, peanuts, some bitterness. The peanut flavour it not nearly as prominent as it was in the nose but is still evident. An interesting palate.

M - Medium body, lightly carbonated.

O - An interesting beer and one that I would drink again, but not one that I will go too far out of my way to hunt down.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown to black color with barely a layer of dark tan head. The head goes away completely, but that's probably due to the peanut.

Smell: I'm picking up quite a bit of roast along with some peanut. There is some sweetness in there as well. A bit faint.

Taste: This is a roasty stout with a sweetness that reminds me of a milk stout, maybe a little sour note. After the initial taste is when I pick up the peanut. It's a nice blend of flavors. The finish is bitter from the sweetness and the roast.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, perhaps a bit thin given the style and the taste. The carbonation is very mild and the finish is quite dry, I would have expected it to be a bit slick, but it isn't.

Overall: This is a very interesting beer that I'm glad I got the chance to try. I don't think it would ever be a go to stout for me, but it will be my go to peanut stout from here on out.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours jet black with a small light tan head. In the aroma, dry peanut butter and sweet oatmeal roast. In the taste, a roasted malt and a sweet oatmeal to a dry nuttiness. A smooth and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry to sweet oatmeal in the aftertaste. Nice dry nuttiness being balanced with a sweet oatmeal.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Pours a dark brownish black color with a pretty small tan head. Head doesn't have much retention and no lacing.

S- Smell is very Earthy, and the peanuts are really easy to pick up. Peanuts dominate this brew, but I can also pick up faint coffee, chocolate and roasted malts.

T- Roasted malts, bit of brown sugar, chocolate, and oats. A bit of peanuts here but not anything like the nose.

M- Creamy and smooth for sure. Medium in body and low carbonation.

O- Interesting brew for sure. Glad I split this one with fiveo2270 I think it would be a little hard to drink the whole bottle myself.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to grub for this interesting guy.

Pours a darker colored head that barely covers the beer, then fades like it was just a dream, but the beer is pitch black and semi syrupy.

THe nose is loaded with peanuts, peanutbutter, a light brown toasty malt, some roasted malts, a bit of chocolate malt as well, and very slight burnt coffee.

Taste starts a bit thin, with some light acrid burnt coffee grinds and acidity, then some roasted malts and a bit of chocolate malt, very light oatmeal and flaked oats, also plenty of peanuts and peanutbutter flavors but not nearly as much as the nose had. The acrid burnt coffee grind really starts to come through, like I got from the Cup-o-Joe from Shorts but not quite as much as that one had. THe acidity is pretty strong too and comes through on the finish, as it dries a bit from the original somewhat sweet flavor, it started syrupy and finishes somewhat sticky, with more lingering peanuts.

Mouth is medium to a bit heavier bodied, but syrupy and thin at the same time, like it's just missing a lot of malt, and little carbonation.

Overall fairly meh, some off flavors, the peanuts were interesting but not great, the acrid and acidic coffee just kills it, as well as the feel that its lacking some malts.

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

12oz bottle Poured at Cellar temperature into a snifter.

Appearance- Very dark brown, pretty much black with a nice one finger tan head that quickly dissipates to a very thin lace, leaving some spotting till the finish.

Smell- You can most definitely smell the peanuts in this one, personally I really like the smell of this, roasted malts with a small touch of chocolate in there.

Taste- Peanuts definitely dominate the the taste, roasted malts come into play with a small touch of the chocolate making its way through in the end.

Mouthfeel- Kind of on the thin side for a stout, but still has a nice creaminess to it. Not very carbonated but most stouts aren't anyways, has a great peanutbutter taste that lingers till the end.

Overall- A great stout and a good change from the usual. Personally I really liked the added roasted peanut taste in this one, and would definitely drink it again. A very solid offering from Short's here.

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours an espresso black with a dark khaki fingers worth of head. Nose of a slight acridness and metallic quality. Touch of stale coffee roasted stale peanuts as well as some jammy artificial fruit. Taste is a sour fruit, more stale coffee and lingering cigarette smoke on the taste. Also pick up some roasted peanut when searching for it. Easy drinking and well carbonated for the style. Didnt do this much of a favor after just finishing my first breakfast stout, no where even close in quality.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

12oz courtesy of kzoobrew. Into a Stone IRS glass.

A: Very dark brown with a light tan colored head that never fully developed, just a ring of bubbles around the outside of the glass. Completely opaque. Decent looking stout.

S: Fairly strong chocolate right away, then leads into some bread and a pretty strong note of unsweetened peanut butter on top of that. As it continues to breathe, there is a decent bit of dark fruits that show themselves. I can't help but be reminded of smelling a pb&j. Maybe some notes of roast and coffee at the end but they take a back seat to the peanut notes. Maybe just a slightly sour note? Interesting.

T: Not quite as much chocolate here as the nose initially made me think. There's a decent amount of peanut notes and a lot more roast than the notes lead on. A few fruity notes as well. Really an interesting taste. I can't tell if there's a full on infection going on, but there's a bit of a sour note on the finish. Not too bad.

M: Lighter side of the mouthfeel spectrum, decent carbonation, kind of a sticky finish on the lips. A bit more body would help this out a bit.

O: It wasn't hard to split this bottle between my girlfriend, and she definitely liked it more than I did. It isn't too bad of a beer, but just not really my thing. My girlfriend did really enjoy it though. Definitely interesting, and glad to try it.

1.6/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to lewis1rg for hooking me up with this novelty. Thanks Ryan!

A: Poured a dark, dark brown, almost black, that came gushing out of the bottle after a hard pour... well... flat as a pancake.

S: Ashy scent, with the peanuts definitely present. I got a small hint of coffee once I set my mind to it, but mostly burnt... something...

T: Perhaps if this had been an Imperial Chocolate brew, with massive quantities of cocoa on the forefront, this might have worked. Jeez.... what I got was pretty gross actually. Think burnt, stale peanuts added to prune juice. A bit of a fruity aftertaste, but who cares?

M: Extremely thin, and that's a crying shame. The carbonation was non-existent. It is almost impossible to describe this using beer descriptor terms. I thought some oats would add something to this brew, but I was unfortunately wrong!!

O: The idea behind the brew was definitely intriguing, but as it stands, this beer fails on just about every level. My wife (who I attempted to share this brew with) and I both agree: I couldn't imagine anyone liking this beer.... and I've never said that before..

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bruery glass. It poured a dark, cola like color with a thin and fizzy head to it. The head faded down to almost nothing after a minute or so.

The aroma really smells like peanuts. It reminds me a little like a bag of ball game peanuts in that you get the shells, nuts, salt and a bit of a peanut buttery flavor. Behind the peanuts I get just a bit of a roasty, bitterness.

The peanuts are also immediately recognizable in the flavor. Like the aroma, I get a lot of the salty, earthy, peanut shell to it, I'm kind of reminded of being at a ballgame. I get some roastedness to the nutty flavor as well. I'd say they they did a pretty good job of getting some real peanut flavor in it, but I didn't get much of the stout flavors unfortunately .

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style, with moderate carbonation. Overall it was a very interesting beer. It really did taste like a roasty bag of peanuts. I got a lot of the salty, earthy, peanut shell flavors to it and not nearly as much of the peanut butter flavor I expected. It was interesting and a cool beer to try but I couldn't drink that much of it. In my opinion, a little more stout flavors coming through would have gone a long way. It also felt a bit salty overall. Very cool beer overall, and they did a pretty good job at getting some real peanut flavor to come through. I just don't think it was for me.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

A:Pours a deep dark brown color with a thin tan head that falls quickly, spotty lacing left hanging around.

S:Big roastiness is picked up right away with a underlying smell of peanuts in the background.

T:Peanuts up front followed by a roasted character, backend has a oaty taste with some sweetness as well.

M:Body is a little thin (like most shorts brews), a mix of sweetness and nuttiness is left hanging around on the palate.

O:Another interesting beer from Shorts, a lot of nutty flavor dominates this drink with some underlying sweetness. A overall easy drink that is one worth trying.

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into swifter. Purchased from Keweenaw Co-op for $10.99/6 pack.

Appearance: Pours a deep brown/black with thin head that moves to a thin film covering.

Nose: Roasted peanuts, sweet corn, some hop bitterness. The nose is a real pleasure.

Taste: Fresh, dried oat flavor. Great. Roasted malt, dark chocolate.

Mouth: Could be a bit more creamy. Pleasant enough. The mouth feel is a small let down. Seems highly carbonated and a bit coke-like.

Drink and overall: I think its solid. Compared to other oatmeal stouts like FBS and WnB, it falls short, mostly on the mouthfeel.

2.38/5  rDev -33.9%

Though I wish I could recall the generous BA trader who hooked me up with this brew, I can not. Thank you, whomever you are!

Skyscraper massively tall dark tan head shows a few craters but sits briefly strong atop the dark brown/black brew before receding down to liquid level and leaving scant lacing behind. Tiny bubbles hug the sides of the glass as the beer is swirled releasing aromas of charcoal, chocolate, and a strong presence of peanut butter. A prickly bitterness grabs the tongue on the first sip, acidic/citrus/wild yeast twang seems out of place. Robust maltiness, peanut character not making their way to the forefront as they should. Bitterness seems too high and not in proper balance and the beer finishes much drier than anticipated. High, prickly carbonation doesn't feel appropriate for an oatmeal stout.

Something went amiss here...it could be a problem with my storage or possibly a bad batch from the brewery. The immense carbonation and slight sourness seem to indicate an infection and are forcing my hand in pouring this beer out with more than 3/4 of it remaining.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks to semibaked for this one.

Shared a tasting. From notes.

A: Pours a dark brown body with a purplish tone to it (puce?). Mocha head with poor retention.

S: This nails the aroma that the label suggests: it's peanut butter! There's a mild lactic sweetness that reminds me of a milk stout.

T: The taste falls a little short in the peanut butter impression, though it's still there. There's something that reminds me of peanut oil. Chocolate and flaked oats are also noticeable. I also pick up roasted malt and licorice (this could also be lactic sweetness; I sometimes have trouble telling the two apart when there's a lot going on) -- the latter two particularly in the aftertaste. The peanut flavor fades as the beer warms.

M: It has a good, creamy mouthfeel as I'd expect from an oatmeal stout. Good carbonation levels; neither too high nor too low.

D: This one really got the aroma down, but like a few other Short's beers, I feel that the taste is a letdown in comparison. Having this next to the PB&J, I felt this was the worse of the two. However, when I blended the two beers (2 parts Uber Goober to 1 part PB&J), it better captured the peanut flavor that PB&J was lacking.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

On tap @ the Sunset Grill & Tap (Allston, MA) on 3/11/11. Served in a tulip glass.

Pours a dense black in the glass, topped with roughly a ½ finger of mocha colored head. This retains nicely, with some rich edges that leaves back some thick foamy swathes of lacing. The aroma smells like straight up roasted peanuts in the nose, which is quickly followed by notes of chocolate, burnt malt, caramel, and some light green floral hop character. A little bit of alcohol warmth is making its presence known as well.

The taste mirrors the nose, with a distinct roasted peanut flavor that melds well with the additional notes of dark malts and bitter hops that are present. Some sweeter flavors of chocolate and some lighter caramel and flaked oatmeal sweeten this up a bit. The finish is all peanuts, which lingers with some spicy alcohol notes. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with a big sharp creaminess to it at first but despite the size of this, things seems a little flat and thin at times on the sides of the overall feel. I swear that they had this listed as over 9% ABV and this felt like it, with some sharp warmth (including the aforementioned sweetness and dry spiciness from the alcohol) really giving this a bit more attitude than it feels like it needs.

While there was certainly no shortage of Short's flair here (the peanut flavor really is well done) but the big alcohol presence and uneven feel kept this one from reaching its true potential. I could have used a little less Uber with my Goober here I think.

reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown almost black with a finger mocha hed

smell: peanuts, mocha, roast, coffee

taste: oatmeal, peanuts,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium to full body, creamy smooth

overall: very nice oatmeal stout. one of the better beers from Short's.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

on tap at sunset tap and grille in boston during the post-EBF brunch

Pours a deep brown color with dark almost black hues, a thinner browned head retains with a collar of lacing around the glass.

A nice dose of nuttiness in the nose with softer chocolate and roasted malt. Scents of fresh cracked peanuts, like the ones you'd buy at a baseball game.

Wow. Peanut butter, and lots of it right up front. Hints of salt and a bit of roasted malts swirled with a note of caramelized sugar. This reminds me of a sweet peanut butter treat or cereal somewhat. A light touch of chocolate before finishing with more peanuts.

Fulled medium body, a bit creamy and smooth on the tongue. This was definitely a little out there, but I definitely enjoyed it. If they wanted to make a beer that tasted like straight up peanut butter, I think they pretty much nailed it.

Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout from Short's Brewing Company