Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal StoutShort's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Sudmissle on 12-21-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Onenote81

2.17/5  rDev -39.7%

Bottle procured from readbaron.

Poured into a pint glass. I'm a little hesitant with this one. The Short's beers I've had have been hit or miss. The last one, PB & J, was an infected, vinegary mess. It didn't even warrant a review. So I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

The pour doesn't conjure up any confidence on my end. A deep dark black, but not even the slightest bit of head or lace. Nothing. This could be motor oil for all I know. The nose is eerily similar to the last peanut butter beer of theirs I tried, and we know how that turned out. Mild cocoa, jam, and PB. There's a definitive tart presence that is a little off-putting.

The body is moderately thick with carbonation spritzing it up midway through, then smooths out on the finish. Mild cocoa, coffee char, and the faintest of nuttiness. Sourness is ever-present. Eh. I don't like this. Maybe I'm a little gun-shy with these guys now, but this could have been so much better. Out she goes. Won't have this again.

02-15-2011 20:32:14 | More by Onenote81
homebrew311

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: dark brown/black, thin tan head, no lacing, opaque

S: the peanut comes through very strong up front, smells like peanut shell with rich notes of chocolate in the background. Very interesting.

T: the peanut doesn't translate to good flavor as the nose would suggest, what your left with a a somewhat bitter, almost acrid peanut quality with some dark chocolate backing it up. This beer isn't bad, but the nose promises something special and the taste unfortunately doesn't deliver

MF: thin body, medium carbonation

D: this beer is definitely worth a try, very unique, I think the base beer needs tweaking to better complement the peanut.

02-14-2011 03:56:54 | More by homebrew311
wikk3d

Connecticut

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance - Pours dark brown with a very thin head that settles into nothing in a relatively short time. Looks as if it lacks carbonation.

Aroma - Strong scent of peanut butter and cocoa. Has a slight hint of caramel.

Taste - Very strong chocolate with peanut overtones. Hint of coffee and caramel flavors as well. Tastes a lot like a melted Reeses Cup. Very sweet, almost a little too sweet. Very little carbonation, almost flat.

Mouth - Again, this beer is lacking a lot of carbonation. It's not really something I really enjoy. It's similar to a Guinness that has been left out for a long time.

Drinkability - Although it lacks in some areas, it's a good dessert beer. Not something you drink on a warm summer day. But then again, how many stouts can you?

02-14-2011 03:13:03 | More by wikk3d
drewba

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Very uneventful pour. An aggressive pour yields an eighth inch tan head which lasts for all of 7 seconds. A tiny ring around the rim stays for a few minutes, but then this is just a slick reddish black.

S - Earthy, hearty peanuts. The peanut is huge in the nose and sticks around for the entire beer. This smells like I just opened up a jar of peanut butter. Incredible that they could replicate that. That said, it's very one-note and I'm having a very hard time picking anything else up in the smell. There is a faint chocolate and roasted malt off in the distance.

T - The flavors have a quick and noticeable progression with each sip. First, loads of roasted malt, brown sugar, milk chocolate, maple. The middle showcases the oatmeal nicely, it really tastes like a bowl of oatmeal with some of that brown sugar riding alongside it. The peanuts begin to creep in right as the oatmeal flavor fades and you're left with a muted, peanut taste. The smell was true to a peanut's smell, but the taste isn't exactly true to a peanut's taste.

M - Though it's smooth, this finishes with a gritty, chewy character. Either the peanuts or the oatmeal is making me feel like I want to eat this instead of drink it. Mindfuck. Medium, mouth-coating body (no homo) with a refreshing amount of carbonation, well done.

D - This drinks pretty nicely, but definitely a beer I'd rather share as I don't think peanut is something I want in my everyday oatmeal stout. Fun to try, but not a beer I'd ever have back to back.

02-13-2011 08:08:31 | More by drewba
SlowCentury

Tennessee

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

poured into my Bell's tulip

A - pours almost pitch black, no light coming through at all. with a moderately aggressive pour a short tan head dissipates quickly leaving no lacing behind. not looking too thick.

S - woah hello peanuts - nail on the head. roasty, the oatmeal is there, slight chocolate. it's hard to get past the prominent peanut buttery nose on this. i like it.

T - again with the roasted flavor and the oatmeal, and the peanuts come right up on you in a stronger than expected and pleasant way. this has a unique light sourness to it that i appreciate.

M - lighter, slick with a creeping fizz.

D - goes down pretty easy but i doubt i would do more than a couple.

Hats off to Short's for their creativity once again. Some of their brews come off as novelty but this is a good beer.

02-12-2011 05:29:26 | More by SlowCentury
Pellinore1

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Thanks to kdub87 for sending this bottle.

Pours deep, opaque brown into a pint glass, producing less than a finger of light tan head. This fades, leaving a little lacing.

After getting over my initial shock at the distinct peanut smell in this beer, I've decided I kind of like it. But only kind of. Definitely some nice, roasty malts going on as well, but I have a hard time picking out anything else.

The taste is a little more subtle than I expected, and the peanut flavors work better for me than the smell. Pleasant, roasted malts hit the tongue first, followed by some slightly bitter coffee notes. The peanuts come back around in the finish, with some dry, roasty flavors as well.

Full-bodied, but with a little less carbonation than I would like.

Drinkability is fine, but slightly hampered by the unusual flavor profile. I'm glad I had one, but I'd choose to follow it with a very different beer.

02-10-2011 05:30:13 | More by Pellinore1
BBP

Ontario (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev +5%

A- A fairly spirited pour offered next to no head at all. There were simply a few bubbles. Despite all my efforts to swish it around, I only managed to get a thin partial film at the top. It pours a considerably dark brown with just the slightest lacing.

S- Far more appealing than the visual. You can get very distinct notes of peanuts in it, and the oatmeal is actually pretty prominent too. There's loads of dark malt in it, as well roasted/burnt malt. A decent amount of noticeable bitterness for an oatmeal stout.

T- Very much a nutty flavor, rivaled only by oatmeal and roasted malt. The peanut flavor is easily noticeable and very obvious, but it isn't overpowering. It actually fits with the oatmeal and malts very seamlessly. I can't say which side I'd put this between brown ale and oatmeal stout.

M- Fuller than average, but for an oatmeal stout it comes in at par. Very smooth. The carbonation is pretty far from the mouth-feel. While I tend to enjoy my beers with low carbonation, this one was one of few that made me think it could use more carbonation. It leaves a slightly dry sticky finish.

D- An interesting sort of hybrid brew combining a brown ale with an oatmeal stout. I enjoyed it, but it seemed a little weird for me. Not in a bad way, but a bit different from what I'm used to. I couldn't see myself drinking a lot of these for that reason.

A good effort from Short's, but I think I'll stick to their other brews from now on.

02-10-2011 00:44:40 | More by BBP
inilegna

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

A - Dark & black like motor oil, fully opaque -- no light shining through this one. Light brown head.

S - Coffe & espresso on first sniff. Fresh green peanuts, just dug out of the ground (if you've ever grown peanuts you'll know what I mean). Hints of vanilla and earth.

T - Intense green peanut flavor mid pallette. Quite creamy with that signature Short's tartness, or what I call umami. Burnt toast on the the finish, with a smoky, roasted malt in there somewhere.

M - Smooth, creamy and medium bodied.

D - Goes down so VERY smoothly for a stout. Be careful with this one!

Serving type: growler

02-07-2011 03:43:24 | More by inilegna
GRPunk

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Bottle poured into a nonic pint.

A- A normal pour left a 1/2-finger, brown head that developed late in the pour and dropped to a light film all too quickly. The body was a nice, deep brown that was just a shade away from black. Not a lot of stick left on the glass.

S- Very peanut buttery at first I love how Short's can really nail these crazy concepts. Further sniffs reveal more of a dry-roasted, shell-on quality. Spring Training is right around the corner, no? It makes me want to pick up a paper bag from a local vendor on my walk to cheer on the Tigers at the CoPa. Some chocolate, and even vanilla, undertones.

T- Not as blatant as the aroma. Malts are a little roasty (not unlike a peanut I suppose), with a hint of char. Nutty quality comes through late. It took a couple sips to really appreciate how good it was.

M- At first I thought it was a little thin. However, it's actually pretty viscus. There's some alcohol bite that makes me think the 6.5% ABV might be a little low. There's very light carbonation, which might contribute to the initial thin feel. One area where it's a little lacking.

D- It's a really good beer, but I don't see drinking more than 1-2 in a sitting. I'm definitely glad I tried it, and would drink it again, if not seek out. As Short's goes, it's not my favorite "concept" beer, but pretty darn good all the same. I'd actually prefer even more "in your face" peanut qualities.

02-06-2011 18:57:02 | More by GRPunk
emmasdad

Colorado

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Received this one as an extra in a recent trade. I have been unimpressed with recent short's beers, but this one was pretty good. Deep, rich black color with a smallish brown head. Smells a lot like peanut butter, chocolate and roasted malt. Creamy, medium bodied, with a definite peanut presence, along with roasted malt and chocolate.

02-05-2011 19:12:57 | More by emmasdad
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: Dark pour, somewhat small head that didn't last

Smell: Very heavy, sweet and malty, perhaps some peanut with brown sugar, licorice, oats and chocolate. Roast.

Taste: Roast and I guess peanut, I get more chocolate, toffee, licorice, brown sugar and oatmeal. Not that tasty. Possibly infected?

Mouthfeel: Very thick, needs a touch more carbonation

Drinkability: I took a few sips and moved on, thought to my self I was thankful it was only 12oz. I am a bit over these weird shorts beers.

01-31-2011 04:47:01 | More by craytonic
B0bD0bbselbock

4.5/5  rDev +25%

Bottle into tumbler glass.

A- Poured to a 2 finger espresso-like tan head, reducing to about 1/4 finger, lingering along, evenly spread across the glass. Medium lacing which hangs out for a bit. Deep, rich, blackish brown in color with a high opacity.

S- An amazing sweet, dry roasted peanut aroma, along with notes of chocolate, roasted grains, and a faintest hint of coffee.

T- A tasty palate of mildly sweet roasted peanuts, roasted grains, malt, along with notes of rich, dark chocolate.

M-Smooth, creamy, silky, full-bodied

D- It drinks quite well, as i find it smooth, rich, and tasty.

An excellent take on an oatmeal stout. The peanuts really compliment this style of beer very nicely, in terms of the rich flavors and sweet, peanuty aroma. An excellent beer if you love peanuts and oatmeal stout. I will gladly continue to buy this one again and again :)

P.S. On a side note, on my recent visit to the brewpub, i bought a growler of this beer and it was listed as 9%ABV on the beer board, so perhaps this may reflect the most recent brewing.

01-28-2011 05:21:25 | More by B0bD0bbselbock
ottovon

Arizona

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

A: pours out a very dark brown, almost black with a tan head that fell quickly.

S: smells of roasted malt and peanut butter. i get a little chocolate and molasses in there too. it actually smells quite nice. almost like a tagalong girl scout cookie.

T: it definitely smells better than it tastes. it tastes of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and peanut butter, but the flavors dont seem to mesh well together. as it warms it does start to seem more cohesive though. it is also more bitter than i was expecting.

M: it does have a nice smooth mouthfeel.

D: i dont really want more than a bottle of this. wouldnt seek out again. i would drink it if it was offered, but doubt id pay for it.

01-28-2011 02:35:54 | More by ottovon
tetonka4kzoo

4.38/5  rDev +21.7%

Uber Goober pours a dark brown with no head. No retention is not a surprise.The label design is impressive

Uber Goober has a nice peanut aroma. Peanut dominate the bready smell. Very distinct.

This imperial stout has a nutty taste, distinctly peanut with a slight malty taste. The roasted malt gives it a toasty taste.

Uber Goober is an interesting stout. It has an oily feel and look. Its very well-balanced and not too sweet or strong. A good tasting and creative beer. Delicious.

01-22-2011 19:35:06 | More by tetonka4kzoo
shivtim

Georgia

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Love the name and bottle design.
Poured out into a pint glass.
Deep brown/black, very little light makes it through. A tiny head on top, mocha colored, but it quickly fades into just a thin ring.

Nose is like a "monster cookie," with peanut butter, oatmeal, and chocolate. The peanut is earthy, almost like peanut shells. Some toasty malts come through, but no hop presence.

Taste is sweet peanut and malt.
Lingering sticky sweet chocolate oil with hop hints. Odd sourness.

Undercarbonated. This comes off almost like a malted yoohoo with peanuts.

Gotta give shorts credit for experimenting, but this one is slightly off the mark.

01-13-2011 18:46:50 | More by shivtim
StoutHunter

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

I got this beer as part of a birthday present from my buddy Ben, thanks man. I been wanting to try this beer for a while now and today is my birthday so to celebrate today I am going to crack it open and see how it goes. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- This beer pours a nice dark black color with a fingers worth of mocha colored head that faded to a nice thin ring that left some lacing.

S- The aroma is straight up roasted malts and peanuts.

T- The roasted malts impart a nice bitter chocolate flavor that works well the tons of peanuts in this beer. The peanut flavor really sticks in your mouth.

M- On the thin side with medium carbonation.

D- If i had another bottle I would drink it. This beer has all the drinkablity of your average oatmeal stout but with much more flavor then you usually get.

Overall this was one different, kick ass beer. I thought the peanuts worked very well with the roasted malts. I would for sure get this beer again. Shorts continues to blow my mind with their crazy concoctions, keep up the good work guys.

01-12-2011 02:13:32 | More by StoutHunter
jale

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Pours a deep brown almost black with a finger of brown head which quickly dissapates.

S: boiled peanuts(it's a Georgia thing) light roasted malt

T: peanuts, chocolate, earthy and a very light sourness.

M: Somewhat thin and lacking cabonation.

D: Glad to try it, but one is enough for me.

01-11-2011 23:18:23 | More by jale
GradyS1

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Dark brown, light black shade to this poured with small light brown head.
S- i get a huge smell of roasted peanuts. there is a small hint of chocolate in the finish but mostly peanut, peanut oil.
T- this is a pretty interesting beer, the peanut flavor carries over, it has a peanut butter aftertaste but it does not stick around that long.There is a little chocolate up front with a good amount of malts and roast mixed in with the peanut flavor
M- Light, even for an oatmeal stout, has a decent amount of carbonation, a little bit of creaminess to the finish.

I like the shorts beers, they are not for everyone but i like it when breweries are trying different things. This would never be a go to for me but, decent little snack.

01-08-2011 01:48:08 | More by GradyS1
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.18/5  rDev +16.1%

What an odd beer. Thanks to kzoobrew for the shorts goodness. Split w/ friends, poured into pint glass.

A- Deep dark brown with a bit of an off-white head that fizzes out quickly and leaves some spotty lace.

S- Very sweet, throws me for a loop. A bit of salty, briny nuttiness too. Interesting.

T- None of the sweetness that's in the nose. Good roast oatmeal stout flavors, and a meaty, salty peanut taste. Really good balance of flavors, the earthy, nutty taste goes well with the stout.

M- Strange. Almost drying, a finish like you've been chewing on peanuts. Earthy/musty. Very odd.

D- Fairly high. I enjoyed it more than my friends did, although I think all 3 of us were expecting a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup beer.

For what it is, it's tasty. I'd drink it again.

01-03-2011 14:59:44 | More by ShogoKawada
7ways

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into my spiffy new Jolly Pumpkin glass. It looks like KBS, black/brown body with a small pecan head. Who cares, because...

Sweet Jesus it smells like roasted peanuts!
Cocoa, coffee, and pie crust back it up. Amazing. It sort of tastes like a lightly sweetened peanut butter pie, but it is rather meager compared to the aroma. I can't be too disappointed, what do you expect? Legumes aside, it is a good stout. A little molasses, burnt sugar, neutral hops... I don't care what anyone says about oats only being for body, I can taste oats, there is some taste familiar in every oatmeal stout, including this one. That being said, the mouthfeel does not quite have the depth and roundness, but it ain't bad either.

01-02-2011 04:03:37 | More by 7ways
seeswo

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours black. Smells like an oatmeal stout, with the faintest touch of peanuts. Maybe a bit thinner than expected. The taste is ok. Finishes with peanuts and starts with a mediocre oatmeal stout. Would be easily ignored if it wasn't at least interesting. Moderate drinkability, but the peanut flavor just isn't smoothly added to a well made oatmeal stout, instead the peanut flavor sits at the back and unintegrated into a blasé stout.

12-29-2010 03:06:39 | More by seeswo
otto251068

Tennessee

3.33/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Westmalle chalice. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours a dark, deep brown. A little light comes through around the edges to show the burnt carmel color. The tiniest bit of tan head fades quickly to a few wisps. No carbonation clinging to the glass, no lacing.

Smell: A little funkiness here, not really sure what to think about that. There is a good amount of peanuty aroma though. After the pour there is a bit of a fruity smell, not citrusy, but more of a ripe berry. Alcohol, and an earthy smell come out after warming.

Taste: More sourness hits, only this time its my taste buds, and not my nostrils. The middle has plenty of burnt flavors. There are some peanut flavors in there, but mostly I get a burnt, earthy taste. Finishes with some bitterness, and then some serious alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a light carbonation. It finishes clean, with only some burnt notes and a slight bitterness lingering. Very smooth. The level of carbonation is a bit low for my liking, but fits according to the style.

Overall: Without a lot of bold, overpowering flavors in this beer, combined with the low level of carbonation, this beer is easy to drink. It finishes clean as well.

12-28-2010 23:50:54 | More by otto251068
youngleo

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured to a one inch head that didnt hang around very long. Had a little lacing going on but not much. Brew itself was almost black in color. Left some settlement in the bottom of the bottle. Smelled of peanuts. coffee, chocolate, and malt. Also was sweet smelling. Tasted of strong chocolate,coffee, malt, and had a peanut aftertaste. No taste of alcohol. Felt good in the mouth. I thought the carbonation was right. Had to much chocolate for me. Actually thought it was a little on the heavy side for my liking.

12-26-2010 13:17:08 | More by youngleo
sophisticated

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Black with a fizzy cola-eque brown head that disappeared quickly.

Smell was malty, nutty, sweet. Somewhat mild smell but peanuts certainly noticeable.

Taste was that of a nice oatmeal stout...With peanuts. Mildly sweet, nutty, coffee. Peanut flavor strong at end of taste. Really not sweet, but sweet enough to be reminiscent of a peanutbutter milkshake.

Mouthfeel was nice and smooth, creamy, full-bodied, silky. Niiice.

Drinkability was great. This was tasty, a little different, but 2 were plenty for me in one sitting as the brew is pretty solid.

12-24-2010 14:34:54 | More by sophisticated
StormKing47

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Fresh one finally received in a trade from regular trading partner erikkoppin. Thanks Erik for this hope there's no infection this time so here goes...

A- A very rich charred looking nearly opaque black. Magnificent looking with no light shining through and a great amount of carb leading to a light brown/khaki head with some brown spotting. Looks like a typical gorgeous stout, but the carb level has me nervous for infection that I had the last time.

S- A quick and nervous sniff reveals a great warm peanut smell reminiscent of the ball park. Loving it, a more refined smell reveals a great barrage of warm peanuts backed up by a very subtle and light roastiness and faint coffee. Very intriguing and a sigh of relief.

T- Wow an immediate rush of roasted, fresh coffee. Simply great a nice malty sweetness with some bitter coffee. What a great, simple and clean taste. As it warms the peanuts show up in the finish a very good contrast of roasted coffee sweet and bitterness with the sharp salted peanuts. Very well done.

M- Nice, thick and slightly viscous. Has a medium-full body with slight chewiness and a great coating without any carb tingle which is great. No infection this year so far. Hopefully it stays that way, I probably won't cellar, but who knows.

D- Definitely a very interesting beer that must be enjoyed fresh because of previous vintages. Love it now it's a great contrast in flavors and senses. Enjoy it soon.

Another brew from the mad scientists of food based beers. I hope to someday travel and visit the brewpub. Very nice job Shorts!

12-23-2010 02:37:31 | More by StormKing47