Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal StoutShort's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Sudmissle on 12-21-2007)
3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

BMart, Mar 05, 2014
4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

12 oz. bottle.

Dark chocolate brown body. Small, bubbly, dark sandy head. Some lacing. Nose is an intriguing mix of chocolate syrup, dark fruits, roasted coffee, and peanut butter. They all mix together very nicely, which isn't that surprising. Roasted malts and peanut butter flavors up front. Light roasted coffee mixes in, along with a flourish of sweetish dark fruits. Slightly medicinal/boozy twang as well. Roasted finish with lingering dark fruits and hints of the dark chocolate/peanut butter combo. Medium-full body with a slightly oily feel. The only peanut beer I've ever had that actually showed some peanut butter on the nose and the palate. Nicely done!

alexgash, Dec 29, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +20.8%

Thank you Derek for sending this Growler my way!

Poured a dark black color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of roast, some lighter oatiness, nutty, chocolate, and smokey. Peanuts. Tastes of roast, chocolate, oats, and nutty. I like the way the peanuts were done and presented 'themselves' in this beer.

hopdog, Jan 30, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -22.2%

I got this beer from kzoobrew. Thanks Kevin!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - black with a small, short-lived cocoa colored head.

S - roasted malt with a hint of nut. I guess I was expecting more after reading some of the reviews.

T - once again the nutty flavor is in the background not upfront or overpowering. It is a decent tasting brew but nothing extraordinary.

F - medium bodied with low carbonation.

O - meh.

JoeyBeerBelly, Jul 07, 2011

Notes from Dec. 2010

Pours black with carbonation clinging to the side of the pint glass.

Smells of peanuts and earthy roasted malts. The peanut smell works very well with the malts.

Taste is similar to smell, with chocolate and a faint amount of hops coming through. Also a decent creaminess.

Medium to almost light mouthfeel. The lingering earthiness is very nice.

I thought this was a well made stout with a nice flavor profile. My friend referred to Uber Goober and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups as "the adult milk and cookies". Can't say I disagree.

warnerry, May 26, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Another shared bottle from Adam - thanks.

Pours black with an initial faint tan head which fades rapidly to nothing. No lace on glass. The nose is not surprizingly nutty for a beer made with peanuts. Power of suggestion says = peanuts in here. Tastes band-aidishly plastic with a "brown" earthy dirt-like finish. Kind of like the peanuts weren't wasted or something. Mouthfeel is bland. In all fairness I do note some possible interference from previous glasses. Overall, this is unique, but would not seek after it.

wethorseblanket, Mar 06, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

A-Black with a thin tan ring that lasted throughout and left spotty lace.

S-Not much to say other than chocolate and roasted peanuts.

T-Dark, roasted chocolate malt and dry roasted peanuts. The roastiness of the peanuts is quite pronounced.

M-Medium body with long lasting peanut flavour and a pleasant, dry finish.

D-Quite nice and certainly unique. Would have liked more of a fresh peanut quality but the dry roasted flavour works better with the malts. A very interesting and well done brew.

Deuane, Apr 12, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz bottle into DFH snifter.

A - Pours black with a minimal tan-colored head that leaves a trace of lacing and a thin ring around the edge of the glass.

S - Peanuts, chocolate, malts, and alcohol...maybe too much hotness for 6.5%.

T - Crunchy peanut butter, dark chocolate, malts, and too much alcohol. Pretty damn hot for only 6.5%, which takes away from this one a bit. I'm not sure if this is really 6.5%...tastes like 10%.

M - Perhaps a bit too thin, slight carbonation, smooth.

D - I prefer Mystery and Cup A Joe to this one....not bad.

Sean9689, Dec 24, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

12 oz.
Darker than expected black pour, just a little light gets through near the top. Brown bubbly head.
Aroma does have the peanut, but mostly roast malt with light cocoa.
Taste has much more of the peanut. Kind of like a 5th Avenue candy bar, which is much different and better than a Butterfinger. I got more roast and nut than peanut butter. The oats do lend for a creamy mouthfeel and solid medium body. No alcohol present, not that it's all that high.
Drinkability is fine, the taste is not bad, just different and not really begging one to drink a whole lot of this.
Another unique brew from a brewery that does some great different things with beer.

Bung, Jan 23, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

12oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours an extremely dark brown with a thin, short lived head despite a rough pour. Minimal lace.
S: Huge dominant notes of dry roasted peanuts! Pretty cool to smell this in a beer although I must say it's not that appetizing.
T: There is a bit of nuttiness to the taste but actually for the most part this tastes like a pretty normal oatmeal stout. Flavors are dark and roasted, and the aftertaste is very dry.
M: Fizzy, tingly carbonation over a medium-thick body and a rather sharp mouthfeel. Not the best.
O: Another unique idea from a rather unique brewery. I have to say though, I don't think I've found a Short's beer that I've really wanted to drink again. Glad I got to try this once though.

scottfrie, May 26, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottled: unk

A: pours a dark brown on black with a thin sheet of mocha foam which falls quickly to a scattered sheet of the same. No lace. Clarity irrelevant.
S: Sitting with my face a good 18" from the glass, I can smell the roasted oatmeal malts. I can smell the peanuts. As I approach the glass I get even more peanuts, some cardboard, some burnt toast. These all meld well enough, and the beer creates the novelty it adverts. I also like it (but in limited encounters)
T: Hmm, initially sweet, then a pinch of tartness and then I start to be able to try and appreciate the flavors. The beer has a slight soy sauce flavor on it (which I really appreciate in SA Triple Bock '97), but I'm not encouraged by the circumstances here. Some bitter soil tones here as well.
M: Medium on thin bodied with moderate carb. Semi-dry finish.
O: I'm a bit torn on this beer. On one hand the nose is quite strong and meets the advertised tones of the beer. On the other hand, the flavor profile indicates something is not quite right. Hard to tell if this is a yeast issue, sanitation issue, oil issue or simply my palate on the intended beer. After I've had half the glass, the tartness has become less evident allowing the peanuts and malts to resurface again. Would I drink again? Yes. Would I prefer on tap? Yes - as I've had less issues with novelty beers deviating from their former selves associated with bottle conditions and dating issues. Worth a peak as a beer.

harrymel, Oct 15, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Beautiful near black, tan huge head, last forever. The top almost blew off, which worried me a little.

S- Hershey's syrup to a tee.

T - Overly carbonated, sour hershey's syrup.

M - Like surfing white wash, no definitive mass, very bubbly. Sourness confusing, flavors do not mesh.

D - I think this one might be infected. HOPE it's infected. Drain pour.

srandycarter, Mar 27, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: dark brown/black, thin tan head, no lacing, opaque

S: the peanut comes through very strong up front, smells like peanut shell with rich notes of chocolate in the background. Very interesting.

T: the peanut doesn't translate to good flavor as the nose would suggest, what your left with a a somewhat bitter, almost acrid peanut quality with some dark chocolate backing it up. This beer isn't bad, but the nose promises something special and the taste unfortunately doesn't deliver

MF: thin body, medium carbonation

D: this beer is definitely worth a try, very unique, I think the base beer needs tweaking to better complement the peanut.

homebrew311, Feb 14, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into two small snifters. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to Randalld for this from our recent trade!

A: Pours pure black. Just like P,B,&J, the initial head is a fizzy dark khaki that quickly turns into a thick and creamy ring. Retention is excellent and quite a bit of lace is left behind.

S: My first impression of the aroma was tangy and metallic. This, however, was fleeting and gave way to aromas of toasted oats, dark chocolate, peanuts, and coffee.

T: Just as above. Dark and roasty chocolate malt becomes a force to recond with as it warms and it brings with it espresso, toasted malt, and dry roasted peanuts. Reesee's Peanut Butter Cup in the finish.

M: Smooth and creamy. Some sweetness with hints of dry, roasty astringency. Finish lasts forever and features a tiny hint of berry tang.

D: Another great new Short's brew. We actually preferred P,B,&J because of the presence of the J but this was excellent in its' own right!

GbVDave, Jan 10, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to lewis1rg for hooking me up with this novelty. Thanks Ryan!

A: Poured a dark, dark brown, almost black, that came gushing out of the bottle after a hard pour... well... flat as a pancake.

S: Ashy scent, with the peanuts definitely present. I got a small hint of coffee once I set my mind to it, but mostly burnt... something...

T: Perhaps if this had been an Imperial Chocolate brew, with massive quantities of cocoa on the forefront, this might have worked. Jeez.... what I got was pretty gross actually. Think burnt, stale peanuts added to prune juice. A bit of a fruity aftertaste, but who cares?

M: Extremely thin, and that's a crying shame. The carbonation was non-existent. It is almost impossible to describe this using beer descriptor terms. I thought some oats would add something to this brew, but I was unfortunately wrong!!

O: The idea behind the brew was definitely intriguing, but as it stands, this beer fails on just about every level. My wife (who I attempted to share this brew with) and I both agree: I couldn't imagine anyone liking this beer.... and I've never said that before..

Chaney, Apr 06, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Received this one as an extra in a recent trade. I have been unimpressed with recent short's beers, but this one was pretty good. Deep, rich black color with a smallish brown head. Smells a lot like peanut butter, chocolate and roasted malt. Creamy, medium bodied, with a definite peanut presence, along with roasted malt and chocolate.

emmasdad, Feb 05, 2011

jsanford, Feb 11, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

Viggo brought this one over, a hookup courtesy of the super generous hoopymeal. thanks guys!

64oz growler. sampled dec 5/09.

pours deep dark brown, not quite black and showing pretty good clarity. a big fine brown head forms, dropping fairly fast and leaving spotty lace.

aroma is good. light roast. coffee. milk chocolate. touch of alcohol. biscuit and whole wheat bread. bit of cracker. almond and maybe a touch of peanut.

taste is great. biscuit and lightly toasted whole wheat bread. dark chocolate. bit of coffee. a nice peanut butter character in the background - peanut, bit of almond, light butterscotch. bit of fruity character. light alcohol. fairly low bitterness level.

mouthfeel is good. silky smooth medium carbonation level. medium body.

drinkability is good. pretty well balanced, with just a little alcohol warmth showing through. i like the extra depth from the peanut and chocolate characters. good stuff!

grub, Dec 05, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

12oz bottle shared by bring - thanks, Barry! I heard this one might be a little infected/tart, and what do you know...it was. Not necessarily a terrible thing though.

Pours black with a nice one-finger peanut butter colored head that leaves light foam on the beer as it settles. Impressive for a beer that presumably has head-killing peanut oils in it.

Aroma is roast and lots of peanut butter, with some wild tartness.

Flavor is very similar to the aroma. Really a great peanut butter flavor in there. Without the tartness, this could be an impressive beer, and hell, it's still not bad. It is interesting, that's for sure, especially with the lactic tartness.

Medium bodied and fairly smooth on the palate with mild acidity.

Drinkability is average. I like what they did here, and appreciate the fact that it's probably tough to add peanuts without getting the beer infected in some way. My advice is to drink this as fresh as possible!

nickd717, Jan 29, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

In a trade with TheSevenDuffs. Thanks man!

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Black pour, almost opaque, makes a small, medium looking, tan head with relatively lousy retention. Fades quickly to a light wisp and ring. Black body and no carbonation evident. A light, splotchy wisp and ring remain until the end leaving dots of lacing down the glass. Good looking, but head need more staying power.

SMELL: A bit of roasted and smoky malt, but lots of peanut butter for sure. Nose is mild but quite one-dimensional. It’s a peanut butter beer.

TASTE: Weird. I should stop there, but I won’t. Roasted nuances and some caramel, then mostly peanut butter through the middle and into the finish. Tastes mostly like synthetic peanut butter with some licorice and caramel sweetness. Aftertaste is medium in strength and persistent, with caramel and peanut butter stealing the show.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly mouth-coating. A touch of heat at the back after the swallow. Pretty good feel.

OVERALL: I appreciate the attempt and the willingness to experiment, but this was not my thing. Peanut butter tasted somewhat synthetic and out of place in the beer, while it also masked any other attempt at creating complexity. This is a bit of a novelty that I can see people trying once, but I just can’t imagine drinking this on a regular basis. It was interesting, but it’s a one-and-done for me. Thanks again TheSevenDuffs.

Jeffo, Aug 22, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

I got this beer as part of a birthday present from my buddy Ben, thanks man. I been wanting to try this beer for a while now and today is my birthday so to celebrate today I am going to crack it open and see how it goes. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- This beer pours a nice dark black color with a fingers worth of mocha colored head that faded to a nice thin ring that left some lacing.

S- The aroma is straight up roasted malts and peanuts.

T- The roasted malts impart a nice bitter chocolate flavor that works well the tons of peanuts in this beer. The peanut flavor really sticks in your mouth.

M- On the thin side with medium carbonation.

D- If i had another bottle I would drink it. This beer has all the drinkablity of your average oatmeal stout but with much more flavor then you usually get.

Overall this was one different, kick ass beer. I thought the peanuts worked very well with the roasted malts. I would for sure get this beer again. Shorts continues to blow my mind with their crazy concoctions, keep up the good work guys.

StoutHunter, Jan 12, 2011

beergorrilla, Dec 21, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours black. Smells like an oatmeal stout, with the faintest touch of peanuts. Maybe a bit thinner than expected. The taste is ok. Finishes with peanuts and starts with a mediocre oatmeal stout. Would be easily ignored if it wasn't at least interesting. Moderate drinkability, but the peanut flavor just isn't smoothly added to a well made oatmeal stout, instead the peanut flavor sits at the back and unintegrated into a blasé stout.

seeswo, Dec 29, 2010

tclapper, Nov 17, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks to semibaked for this one.

Shared a tasting. From notes.

A: Pours a dark brown body with a purplish tone to it (puce?). Mocha head with poor retention.

S: This nails the aroma that the label suggests: it's peanut butter! There's a mild lactic sweetness that reminds me of a milk stout.

T: The taste falls a little short in the peanut butter impression, though it's still there. There's something that reminds me of peanut oil. Chocolate and flaked oats are also noticeable. I also pick up roasted malt and licorice (this could also be lactic sweetness; I sometimes have trouble telling the two apart when there's a lot going on) -- the latter two particularly in the aftertaste. The peanut flavor fades as the beer warms.

M: It has a good, creamy mouthfeel as I'd expect from an oatmeal stout. Good carbonation levels; neither too high nor too low.

D: This one really got the aroma down, but like a few other Short's beers, I feel that the taste is a letdown in comparison. Having this next to the PB&J, I felt this was the worse of the two. However, when I blended the two beers (2 parts Uber Goober to 1 part PB&J), it better captured the peanut flavor that PB&J was lacking.

Arbitrator, Mar 20, 2011