Bananas N' Blow - Short's Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BelgianAleSlut on 09-29-2008)
Reviews by CortexBomb:
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Another interesting brew by the folks up at Short's. Pours a very murky, golden yellow with a nice frothy head on top. Big banana nose with yeast and dough on the edges.

The flavour of this reminds me a bit of the Sam Adams Weizenbock from last year's Longshot offering...it has a similarly huge banana flavour, though it is not as thick and bready in the mouth. This particular beer has a more pronounced, Belgian-like lightness. Slight bitterness like baker's chocolate.

The bottom line: if you like Bananas this is pretty close to a must try. Short's continues to impress me with its flavourful, innovative beers.

CortexBomb, Dec 07, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Wow, big thanks for sending me this growler. A beer I would never have gotten to try without the generosity of trading. Served chilled and shared with my brother in law, this one was consumed on 12/05/2008.

Nice pour here, with a weird almost baby food like beige color, though not as thick. Very hazy and cloudy with a rich color to it and a thin, pillow like head across the top that faded rather quickly,

The aroma was all about the banana, tons of it. Like banana nut bread Colleen adds. Rich and smooth, hints of almost a marshmallow like sweetness to it. The flavor was really nice. Totally banana with hints of light chocolate and a touch of walnuts or some other kind of off nuttiness to it. Such a weird beer. Super creamy and rich flavor with a nearly perfect level of carbonation, at 5% so drinkable as well..

This is like the oddest beer ever. It was dead on banana, soo much of it that nearly everything else is set aside. It was like liquid banana. I really liked it, and I would think that by reading this you might think it was overwhelming, but by no means, it was so mellow and smooth. This is a must try.

mikesgroove, Dec 06, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

Received an email newsletter from Joe Short mentioning he was putting this beer on tap the same weekend I was traveling up to my property in northern Michigan.

Short's description of beer from brewery's pamphlet:

"A golden ale fermented with 220lbs. of bananas (440lbs. shown on website), blended with an American lager fermented with 100lbs. of cocoa, to produce a rich and smooth cream ale."

Decided to make it my first beer as I could follow with it with Huma-Lupa-Licious should not be to my liking.

Poured nice cloudy gold with thick white foam and good lacing.

Smelled of muted bananas and hint of cocoa. Slight taste of bananas could be detected upfront with cocoa making itself known afterward. Not sure which hops were used, or if the cocoa was solely contributing the bitterness to the beer. In any event, very nice balance from light fruity sweetness to bitter cocoa finish. It also had a nice creaminess that complemented the banana flavor.

Beer was surprisingly very drinkable and started my next day's drinking with the same. Also brought a growler of B 'n B home to share.

BelgianAleSlut, Sep 29, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Huge thanks to TasteTester for this one!

Pours a greenish orange brown, thick and hazy without visible sediment. Full white head climbs on top and sits for a while, eventually settling down to whispy film. Some thin splatters of lacing left behind.

Nose is about what you'd want from a banana beer. Doughy aromas reminiscent of a Belgian tripel, but more real ripe banana smell. Some cocoa powder on the nose too. Rich and doughy, yet somewhat mild at the same time.

Taste is not altogether different from the nose, but flavors balance out a little differently. More doughy cream with hints of fruit and spice. Some cocoa powdery smoothness in the middle, all capped with an underlying banana flavor that presents more distinctly in the finish. Wraps up with a very creamy doughy finish over the banana and powdery cocoa. Leaves an aftertaste that's convincingly like having just finished off a ripe banana. Not terribly complex, but pleasant. A little like a chocolate-banana milkshake beer, just not as sweet.

Feel is really nice. Rather full for a 5% beer, it's smooth and creamy. Carbonation isn't too noted, but just enough to support the creaminess and add some dimension.

Overall a unique beer that's not over the top. It drinks easily and is very pleasant. Somewhat filling, I'm not really left craving more, but I could easily sip quite a bit.

lightindarkness, Dec 04, 2008

TasteTester, Dec 17, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -11.8%

A- Hmmm, I wonder if they tweaked this beer a bit because it looks nothing like any of the reviews I'm seeing. Anyways, Dark brown with about a finger of tan creamy head. Not much head retention but there is a bit of lacing.

S- A bit of banana detected in there, hint of chocolate and grains. Sweet caramel malts. That's pretty much it. Bananas don't really come into play much sadly.

T- Has a roasted flavor up front from the malts, tends to fade into a sweeter, caramel-like taste. Bananas only come through in the aftertaste.

M- Smooth and medium bodied. Not much carbonation to speak of.

D- I'm torn on this one, the bananas really don't come into play much in it which was a huge disappointment. Still a decent beer, but not what I was expecting.

Also, if I remember right, it seems as though the board at the brewery said this was a porter, so I really wonder if they did change the recipe, because it definitely did have porter-like qualities.

kbeals, Mar 07, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Sampled on 12-12-08

Pours a very cloudy light brown, no real head and reasonable lacing.

Smell is all banana, semi-sweet and very hard to place. Very interesting.

Taste is a slight banana at first, sweet in the middle, with a very surprising smoky coffee finish. Slightly out of place, but actually adds to the banana-nut flavor.

Mouthfeel is very thick, very bready. Fitting for the flavors.

Drinkability is decent, but the flavor, although good, is very odd.

Overall, the best banana beer I've had, very creative, and well worth a try.

BMoney575, Dec 18, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

A-Hazy, golden-copper with a thick off-white head. Nice, caking lace left behind.

S-Three day old bananas dusted in cocoa powder. Wow, is this interesting!

T-Sweet, over ripe banana with a bit of marshmallow like sweetness. Dry cocoa powder bitterness is a nice and perfectly matched.

M-Light bodied and just a tad to thin. Quite creamy and rather smooth but would like a bit more body.

D-A delicious, interesting and well done brew. The name alone is great...but the beer matches. A summer session quaffer if there ever was one!

Deuane, Apr 12, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

I had this on tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor. The beer was dark yellow color, I guess like a ripe banana. It was kind of hazy with almost no foam. No surprise based on the name, but the smell was dominated by banana. Not really like a hefeweizen banana, apparently this beer uses real bananas. It was a good smell, and original, but I think I prefer "normal" beer banana aromas. The beer tasted nothing like I expected from the smell. Actually I got more malt, bitterness, and chocolate in the taste. Very odd, the appearance and smell prepare you for a hefe but you get a chocolate malt thing. It was unique and I'm glad I tried it, but real fruit beers are rarely my thing.

TurdFurgison, Dec 18, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

So there's a story behind getting this beer. younger35 and I made a bit of a side bet in our BA Fantasy Football league knowing we had no chance in hell to make the playoffs. At that time we were both 1-5 and he just beat me. By some divine miracle (Tyler Thigpen is his name) I won five games in a row and ended up with a 6-7 record, just barely missing playoffs (I hate you Jones-Drew) and Dan finished 2-11 so he was generous enough to send this special beer (amongst a bunch of Two Brothers) my way.

12 oz. hand bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a super murky orange/yellow/brown with a one finger off-white head that falls to a thin layer of foam that lasts throughout. Very thin webbing sticks to the sides of the glass as well. Smell is pretty much banana from start to finish. The banana smell is real banana though, not a wheat banana aroma. Chocolate, earth, and some grass tickle the nose as well. A faint smokey scent can be deceted underneath all that sweetness too. Taste begins with green banana peel flavors and some cocoa powder. At no time is the banana flavor too sweet, thank god. Mild toffee and caramel flavors midway with a touch of roasted nuts. Aftertaste is moist with more banana notes and wheat bread. Chewy medium body with a silky smooth feel from the light carbonation. To be honest, I thought I would have a tough time drinking this beer before I cracked it open since I'm not a huge banana fan, but I still had to try it. In the end though, I didn't have a problem what-so-ever putting it down and enjoyed everything about it. Another crazy ass Short's beer that really should be expereinced by all, hopefully they'll bottle it someday. Thanks again Dan!!

BeerTruth, Dec 06, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

25oz mug @ crunchy's of east lansing - 11/12/08
hazy pale golden with slight reddish hints, white head fades

smells of banana, creamy malts, slight alcohol, something roasty i can't place

taste is creamy, yeastly, banana/clove, deeeep banana flavor, wheat, slight sweetness, bitter middle, chewy, roastiness hides in back, i had no idea cocoa was involved before reading the previous review but it makes sense and at the time of drinking i couldn't place what it was, at the time i guess it was sort of an amber mixed with a hef - nice to see i was sort of on the right track of it being blended

mouthfeel is thick, creamy, bittersweet, loaded with flavor, lingering, easy to drink and excellent balance - yum!

drxandy, Nov 28, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -22.4%

Big thanks to Kevin for hooking me up this growler. Split amongst four of us.

A- Pours a dark, cola color. Produced minimal amount of head, disappeared throughout consumption.

S- Combination of burnt banana peels and rubber. Not that aromatic.

T- Light notes of banana at the front. As the beer sits on the palate the beer takes on a slight roasted malt flavor accompanied by bitterness one gets from biting into a banana peel. Finish is rather sweet and almost takes on sour notes.

M- Thin, way too thin. Could have used more body, overcarbonated as well.

D- Won't lie, this is quite a task to put away.

Overall, had high hopes for this beer and it fell way, way short. Will pass on this one in the future.

rhinos00, Apr 24, 2010

Received this brew via growler from TasteTester in a recent trade. I've really been excited to try this thing and wasn't disappointed (drank all but the glass in front of me yesterday with a buddy). Drank from my Surly nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a UGLY ass dark murky yellowish brown with an almost greenish tint at certain angles (at least to me). It's such a weird color it's getting a extra half point in appearance. Very little off-white head forms that quickly dissipates leaving a small cap and thin collar with no lacing.
Smell- Definite banana's upfront and not the yeasty kind (Hef). This smells just like the real thing. Some chocolate cuts the banana with a raw bakers chocolate aspect. Doughy and malty at times but this is pretty much just bananas and chocolate.
Taste- Wow, after the nose I was expecting a big banana kick but the chocolate takes center stage here. Like the nose it's a raw bitter chocolate and in the least bit sweet. The banana is very light and a bit more apparent toward the finish. Soft and doughy the brew is lightly bitter but I don't detect any hops. I'm assuming all the bitterness is from the cocoa.
Mouthfeel- Super rich and creamy with nice dry finish and really low carbonation.
Drinkability- This is definitely a unique brew that didn't taste anything like I was expecting. I would have liked all the banana in the nose translate a bit more to the taste. The chocolate is the focus of this beer but uniquely so. I couldn't have finished the entire growler but I did enjoy the hell out of my couple glasses.

younger35, Dec 03, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

I had this on tap at Crunchy's in East Lansing, MI.

This beer did not have any distinguishing taste characteristics. It tasted bland. If it was supposed to taste like Bananas, I could not detect any such flavors.

I respect the creativity in the creation of this beer, but it is not a really worthy product that I would ever try again.

BeachHoppy, Jan 10, 2009