Short's S'more Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's S'more StoutShort's S'more Stout

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: ffejherb on 12-03-2008)
Reviews by davod23:
davod23

2.08/5  rDev -36.6%

With a name like S'more Stout... how could this be so bad? Poured from the bottle (cool label) into a Saison Dupont glass.

Pour let me know, immediately, that something wasn't right. Deep dark brown, barely any head, and a gross cap of what looks to be tiny chunks of graham cracker and marshmallow. What head was initially at the top is gone in, literally, seconds. Sigh.

Smell is okay. It's not repulsive, but it's nowhere as rich and decadent that a "robust stout" brewed to be like a freaking s'more should be. Chocolate, dark malt, roast. Marshmallow and graham cracker seem to be there as well, but in such small quantities that I very well could be imagining it.

Taste is not great. Weirdly medicinal. Dark chocolate, but it's somehow cheap, lacking a depth of character that I would like. Marshmallow is kinda there, but as a sickly sweetness. Graham, I don't taste. No discernible hop character. I can't taste a bit of the 9.2%, so that's impressive, I guess. Way too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and flat. This beer needs carbonation.

Drinkability: Not for me. I drank about a quarter of the bottle and then gave the rest to my girlfriend, who seemed to loathe it less than me.

This one's not great. I'd avoid it, despite how awesome it sounds like it would be.

09-20-2010 03:57:25 | More by davod23
tectactoe

4.25/5  rDev +29.6%

04-28-2014 00:57:01 | More by tectactoe
nickadams2

4.33/5  rDev +32%

A_Black with dark brown hue. Thin cinnamon colored head quickly dissipates into a thin ring leaving traces of lace.

S_Heavy cream,rich chocolate/roasted malt.

T_Sweet cream,rich milk chocolate, roasted malt. Slight pick up of graham cracker.No alcohol pick up at all.

M_Full bodied,slick,silky smooth.

D_Very drinkable. Unbelievable that the ABV is that high.

09-11-2010 04:09:33 | More by nickadams2
Mora2000

3.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. First off, the beer had hard, white chunks floating on the top. At first I thought they were marshmellows, but they were very hard. Very strange.

The beer pours a dark brown color with red highlights. The aroma is graham crackers, honey and chocolate. The flavor is chocolate, smoke and roasted malt. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Some other people I drank this with thought it was showing signs of infection. I didn't get any of the sour notes that I have gotten in other Short's beers such as PB&J, but the mouthfeel was a little thinner that I think it should have been which could be from an infection.

I actually liked this beer a lot better than the other people that tried it. A very strange beer, but one that I am glad I got to try.

10-15-2010 03:34:01 | More by Mora2000

01-31-2012 21:37:26 | More by TCJosh
glid02

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours one shade from black with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of heavy roasted malts with mild amounts of unsweetened chocolate. Also present are very slight amounts of burnt marshmellows.

Tastes more complex than it smells. Large roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solid amounts of slightly sweet marshmellows. Midway through the sip semi-sweet chocolate flavors work their way into things along with a slight cracker flavor. The roasted malts and chocolate carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's a bit on the thin side with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I was actually surprised by how straightforward this beer was. A solid stout with a few small bells and whistles that's worth a shot.

11-22-2010 02:31:06 | More by glid02
goast8127

02-08-2012 01:40:30 | More by goast8127
dashirey

3.98/5  rDev +21.3%

So Deuane provided half of PA's BA community with Short's growler and I was lucky enough to score one of them. We (my wife and I) cracked it after a pretty rough day for her. It hit the spot!

A - Dark brown but opaque. One finger of tan head. Not much lacing left behind from this one.

S - The smell is a mixture of roasted malts, some smoke, milk chocolate, and with a deep inhale comes some alcohol.

T/M - At first, from the growler the most present taste in the roasted malts and some smoke. I knew it needed to warm some - so it did. That is when this one gets a lot more complex, in my opinion. Some chocolate, some smoke, then some sweet - that is where I get the marshmallow from. Under everything else there is a warming alcohol taste/sensation that is present. Not harsh alcohol but good for the kind of night it is and the kind of beer, it is just right. It is generally smooth (a little bite at the end) with good carbonation and medium bodied.

D - I like the beer - very complex tasting to say the least. I would drink it again, but not necessarily do everything in my power to seek it out.

Another creative and interesting brew from Joe Short that is definitely worth checking out if you have the chance! Thanks again Deuane!!

12-12-2008 01:08:06 | More by dashirey
king75

04-28-2014 17:36:12 | More by king75
nickd717

2.03/5  rDev -38.1%

12oz bottle thanks to mikeincharleston.

Pours darkest brown with a one-finger tan head.

The aroma is...well...a little sour. Not good. S'mores and wild yeast, not a good mix.

The flavor is also sour s'mores. Really rather nasty unfortunately.

Medium-light bodied and sour.

Oh man, just not good at all. Shame this had to get infected, since it seems like an interesting beer.

11-05-2010 16:57:53 | More by nickd717
Kegatron

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to splax23 for a couple of these in trade.

Pours a deep brown, with a finger of frothy dark mocha colored head. Creamy looking retention on this, that leaves plenty of brown oils and spotty frothy lace behind. The aroma smells of chocolate roast and milky sweetness, giving the nose a sugary tang that is only enhanced by some green citric hop character that hangs on the edges. While not terrible, I would definitely say that some more definition and strength were needed here.

The chocolate flavor is thick here in the taste, as is astringent roast and lactic sweetness, which all combine to give this a somewhat souring component as this warms up. The sweet sugars of the cocoa and graham cracker tries to cover this up but there is also some green herbal hop textures that are present as well and only help add to this. That sweet earthy tang just seems to hang forever on the palate and honestly, gets to be a bit tiresome. The mouthfeel has a thicker medium body on it, with more of a creamy and bubbly feel to the carbonation that stays pretty easy feeling overall despite the sharpness of the flavors. Is this beer really 9%? What is the point of that? I will say that I only got a little warmth hanging back but not nearly enough considering the size of this, which helps give the feel some points.

I can see what they were shooting for with this one but man, the final product just didn't work out at all. The sweetness here plus the roast and the hops all just offered too much of the same thing and when all melded together like that were just overload. I managed to finish the bottle but I have to say, the flavors here were a bit of a mess.

09-23-2010 19:26:20 | More by Kegatron
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

Big thanks to Spica66 for a few bottles of this one in a recent trade! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured a massively dark brown almost black with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained minimal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and tobacco (really!?!?!?). The flavor was of roasted malt, chocolate, sugar (from the marshmallows maybe?), and tobacco (OMG, I wasn't dreaming it in the aroma). It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this wasn't that bad. But tobacco, really!? Not sure at all how I feel about this note in the aroma and flavor. It was only in the aftertaste on the flavor thank God, but still... Just not pleasing at all. Other than this one off flavor this was a decent American stout. Just hate it shot itself in the foot.

01-03-2011 20:41:50 | More by thagr81us
SamuelJackson45

3.58/5  rDev +9.1%

A-Pours and mild chocolate body with a small tan head.

S- smell of graham crackers and marshmallow and roasted malt.

T-Taste roasted malt a hint of chocolate and graham cracker.

M- Chewy of the graham cracker and chocolate malt and marshmallow.

D- This is a ok stout.Not the best to say the least. But good to try once.

Cheers..

11-02-2010 13:37:12 | More by SamuelJackson45
md655321

07-08-2014 01:55:14 | More by md655321
SpdKilz

Fourth beer of the night...I have been eating a ton to make sure I am not inebriated! It is working great because I'm not even remotely tipsy which makes for great beer reviews! A third beer enjoyed tonight courtesy of erikkoppin. I have been wanting to try this beer for quite some time after reading about it on the forums (despite it getting mixed reviews). Let's see how it fares!

Appearance - Pours jet black into my Bell's Tulip. About a finger of quickly dissipating tan head is achieved that leaves little lacing on the sides of the glass. Right off the bat, I will say there are NO chunks or anything remotely close to what people have been describing in their beers. So I find this to be a positive sign.

Smell - Sweet chocolate, a most DEFINITE graham cracker aroma (and I emphasize this because it honestly does smell like smores, creepy almost). Hints of smokiness and coffee.

Taste - After the initial taste I am relived to say this is not an infected or messed up S'more Stout others have been talking about. Loads of chocolate, bready/graham cracker, just a hint of marshmallow, and a surprisingly smoky flavor, which let's face it, is part of the enjoyment of smores (having that great smoky flavor imparted onto the actual smore...makes me miss Traverse City from this summer). Quite enjoyable tonight and I can't wait to tell my brother-in-law and fellow beer geek about this beer tomorrow.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - To be frank, quite so. I didn't realize the ABV until I looked at the description. I was expecting 5-7 tops, not 9. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I feel bad for the people who have gotten infected bottles, because Short's puts out some amazing beers. I hope in the near future they figure out all infection issues because this is a world class brewery and it is only a matter of time until they explode with [even more] popularity. Another well done beer by Short's!

[edit] So I had another one of these tonight and it was starting to turn infected (tartness to it) and I can see how if someone drank this over a non-infected S'more Stout they would have negative reviews - sucks how different this beer is with a bit of infection. Oh well, I got one damn good one in!

10-16-2010 03:00:44 | More by SpdKilz

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

09-06-2013 15:06:59 | More by alfie
emerge077

3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Thanks Jeff for sharing this one!

This bottle was purchased straight from the brewery.
Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip it pours a blackish burnt mahoghany, glinting lighter brown around the edges when held to the Tennessee sun. A wispy offwhite skim of foam across the surface, that eventually breaks after a few sips, throwing spotty lace froth around the edges.

Earthy charred roast, deeply malty, with a creamy and slightly lactic note.

Flavors of black malt roastiness, peanuts, toasted graham crackers, bitter dark chocolate. Sadly no toasted marshmallow to be found, but tasty nonetheless. Rich with mellow roast, a dry aftertaste with a lingering nuttiness. Lighter bodied with creamy carbonation. Not a bad stout, it was pretty interesting.

05-24-2011 01:08:50 | More by emerge077
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.1/5  rDev -5.5%

12 oz bottle split and poured into a snifter. No date or info.

Thanks to Thorpe429 for this one!

A - Pitch black in color, even a tall, vigorous pour couldn't rouse any head out of this beer. Poor retention on the thin tan foam, no lace left over. Tiny chunks what I assume to be part of the graham cracker cling to the glass though.

S - Lots of roasted malts flood the aroma. Cocoa and bitter-sweet chocolate with some coffee come out too. A touch of the graham cracker is in there with a pinch of marshmallow-like sugary sweetness.

T - Very, very roasted malts. A hint of smoky malt in there bit it's just acrid bitterness. Coffee and cocoa are prominent. No graham cracker available in flavor and the marshmallow is only slightly hinted at after the swallow.

M - Dry and very acrid bitter with a dry roasted finish and a lingering metallic note. Medium-full bodied.

D - The alcohol doesn't really show through which definitely makes it a little easier to drink, but it's just great overall. If you're gonna make something called a S'more Stout (and who doesn't love s'mores), you better do it right, otherwise it's a major let-down. If this was a normal stout, it would be decent, but as a s'more stout, it fails. Also, why is the alcohol so high in this anyway?

10-16-2010 23:57:11 | More by BeerFMAndy
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.65/5  rDev +11.3%

12oz received as part of a massive SURPRISE box from Kbeals!!

Pours with a very short lived tan head... the pretty much black.

Nose is milk chocolate... and with a swirl, I swear I get marshmallows... Not really finding any graham cracker sadly... a hint of cinnamon (could be the EtOH).

Flavor has the graham cracker pretty prevalent with melting waves of chocolate... NOW, I'm having a hard time picking up on the marshmallow.. hints of smoke on the finish.. pretty earthy with warmth... never would have even come close to guessing the ABV!!

Body is medium... pretty amazing given the high gravity.. carbonation is actually on the lite side...

Interesting brew.... definitely not gonna ever be my favorite, but interesting for sure...

Kevin is pure and simple, awesome. Very generous and a trader's trader who I am glad to say that I recently was able to meet in person and share some great brews. Kevin is "Good Humans" :-)

3.5/3.5/3.5/4/4

Edit: Some reviewers say this may be infected, I really am not sure.. often with so much dark malt, a sour twinge is imparted into the brew.... there is a very minor "twang" more in the nose and even less on the finish.. That said, I like it and am very excited to share with the local peeps.

10-16-2010 08:23:10 | More by JohnGalt1
harripat

06-28-2014 05:08:50 | More by harripat
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.2/5  rDev +28%

so i decided last night to break out 10, thats right 10 new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

a nice pour starts it off quite nicely with a dark brown color and smooth one finger head of dark tan that hung around long enough and with enough power to coat the top of the glass quite nicely..

aroma is very sweet. lots of chocolate and what can only be described as a graham cracker like aroma mixed with a hint of smoked notes. very interesting for sure. as i take the first sip it becomes apparent that this one, unlike some of the others of the day is going to work quite nicely. smooth mellow chocolate and smoked notes mix well with a thick malty base an a smooth, graham cracker like flavor that imparts hints of the namesake. no touch of abv in this one at all, in fact i had no idea this was over 9 percent and drank like it was 4. smooth and creamy sweet finish really left that smoked note on the palate for a good bit.

overall a very, very solid beer that i thoroughly enjoyed. one of the better of these interesting new shorts beers.

10-03-2010 14:21:28 | More by mikesgroove
FreshmanPour77

Reviewed on 3-3-11
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Poured a dark brew with one finger of creamy foam. Decent lacing ring with little carbonation present

S - Malt's, chocolate with not much hop nose

T/M - Interesting taste, chocolate comes into play, real malty. Can't tell if I am tasting the marshmallow though. No hop bitterness at all

D - Pretty drinkable stout. Malty brew that went down pretty smooth. I would only drink one of these though; it was a little too sweet for me. I recommend people trying it but I wouldn't seek this brew out again.

03-25-2011 19:29:25 | More by FreshmanPour77
largadeer

1.5/5  rDev -54.3%

Yet another infected Short's beer generously shared by nickd717.

Fizzy dark brown, this is becoming over-carbonated, though the head is fleeting and the beer is topped by chunks of...I don't even know, marshmallow maybe? The chocolate/marshmallow/graham cracker aroma is slightly noticeable but buried beneath funky sour notes. Similar on the palate, dark malt and marshmallow beneath lactic sourness. Fizzy mouthfeel with some chunkiness from the floaties. Yeah, another interesting Short's beer ruined by infection.

11-08-2010 21:15:15 | More by largadeer