Short's S'more Stout | Short's Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

Added by ffejherb on 12-03-2008

Reviews: 77 | Ratings: 131
4.35/5  rDev +33.8%

On tap at Short's Brewing Company, Bellaire, MI on 11/29/08 for the Brew-Ski event and Winter Stout release party.

A - Very dark brown body (bordering black) with a minimal light tan head that receded into a ring of retention. Garnished with a marshmallow floating on top!

S - Smells of dark roasted malt, chocolate, toasted marshmallows, brown sugar and a bit of vanilla. Some crusty malt is present, but not quite the graham cracker maltiness I was anticipating.

T - Lots of gooey toasted marshmallow goodness with dark chocolate malt that compliments quite nicely. There is a slight pie crust character in the finish with a tinge of earthy hop bitterness and mild sour character.

M - Smooth and creamy texture with soft carbonation and a sticky mouthfeel. Finish is mildly bitter.

D - This is a fantastic, unique stout with a toasted marshmallow character that just oozes flavor. This was indeed a brilliant idea for a stout. Kudos to Short's for creating this campfire favorite!

4.3/5  rDev +32.3%

A_Black with dark brown hue. Thin cinnamon colored head quickly dissipates into a thin ring leaving traces of lace.

S_Heavy cream,rich chocolate/roasted malt.

T_Sweet cream,rich milk chocolate, roasted malt. Slight pick up of graham cracker.No alcohol pick up at all.

M_Full bodied,slick,silky smooth.

D_Very drinkable. Unbelievable that the ABV is that high.

4.29/5  rDev +32%

Pours a dark brown, almost black color. It has a thin lacey head.

Great nose! A robust, roasted malt smell with hints of nuts and smoke. It also has an expresso aroma.

S'more Stout has a chocolaty taste. This stout has a smokey yet sweet taste. You also notice the graham cracker taste after two sips. Very tasty and delicious.

Smooth and creamy feel. I guess that's where the marshmallows come in.

Very drinkable, had 3 last night! Another unique and creative brew from Shorts.

4.27/5  rDev +31.4%

Coolest presentation for a beer at the pub. Actually served with a roasted marshmallow on a toothpick! Beer great, but don't eat that marshmallow:/

4.24/5  rDev +30.5%

Deep brown murky body. It is obvious this is an unfiltered beer with the amount of sediment in suspension. 1 finger cafe au lait head quickly recedes leaving only a slight cap. Spotty lacing along the side of the glass. While the appearance certainly does not bother me with this particular beer, to be fair it has to be rated low.

The aroma starts the process of making up for the appearance. The aroma blends smoke, chocolate and sweet vanilla beautifully. I am amazed what marshmallow fluff can bring to a beer. The sweet vanilla cream noted in the Short's beers with Marshmallow is outstanding. Very little graham cracker noticed, if it is there it is subtle.

Piece by piece the flavors layer to create a flavor which accurately reflects a S'more. The darker flavors dominate the front of the palate. Smoke, chocolate and roasted malt flavors are strong. Just beneath the creamy marshmallow can be found. The graham is still one of the more subtle flavors but easier to identify the flavor than the aroma. The flavor is dead on as far as I am concerned. It is different, but it is good.

Medium bodied beer. Texture is mostly creamy though the sediment adds a bit of a grainy texture which I suppose lends itself to the authenticity of a S'more. Flavors are rich and dig into the tongue for a slow finish.

There are two things Joe Short does well 1- Crazy beer 2-hiding the alcohol. With this beer coming in at 9.2% there is not even a trace of the booze or heat. While the flavor could be to much for some to drink multiple, those who do may find the room starts spinning sooner than anticipated. Drinkability is ridiculous.

4.2/5  rDev +29.2%

so i decided last night to break out 10, thats right 10 new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

a nice pour starts it off quite nicely with a dark brown color and smooth one finger head of dark tan that hung around long enough and with enough power to coat the top of the glass quite nicely..

aroma is very sweet. lots of chocolate and what can only be described as a graham cracker like aroma mixed with a hint of smoked notes. very interesting for sure. as i take the first sip it becomes apparent that this one, unlike some of the others of the day is going to work quite nicely. smooth mellow chocolate and smoked notes mix well with a thick malty base an a smooth, graham cracker like flavor that imparts hints of the namesake. no touch of abv in this one at all, in fact i had no idea this was over 9 percent and drank like it was 4. smooth and creamy sweet finish really left that smoked note on the palate for a good bit.

overall a very, very solid beer that i thoroughly enjoyed. one of the better of these interesting new shorts beers.

4.07/5  rDev +25.2%

I had this after a long day of skiing right at the Short's Pub in Bellaire, MI.

Appearance: It came out in a snifter, with a toasted marshmallow half-burnt lying across the top of the glass.

Smell: Slightly graham crackery, but enough chocolate to cover the smell of the marshmallow splayed across the top (which I clearly ate before I drank the beer).

Taste: Strong chocolate and sugary taste... probably trying to allow for the marshmallow flavor for the places carrying this who don't drop a mallow on top.

Mouthfeel: Nice full feel, but still not as thick as some stouts I've had. Carbonation was low, but bar staff also told me the tap was acting up before I ordered.

Overall: Appearance really hit a 5.0 for me, but after the novelty wears off, this just seems more like exactly that; a novelty, not so much a stout.

4.06/5  rDev +24.9%

Notes from 8/10/10 On-tap at HopCat

Served in a tulip glass with a toasted marshmallow garnish, just like they do at Short's when I had this last December. Black in color with virtually no head, the look isn't doing it for me. Perhaps the lack of head is a result of the mallow garnish?

The smell is a redeeming quality when compared to the appearance. Rich chocolate, smoky wood, and dark malts blend to remind of a campfire. But again, that could be a result of the marshmallow garnish. Either way, it smells good.

Believe it or not, I can tell there is marshmallow from the taste. Dark chocolate blends with the mallow to produce a sweet and slightly sour taste..It is a little funky but works. Somewhere in the middle of the taste is toasted barley. I may detect some graham cracker, but my brain might be playing tricks on me. The aftertaste is a touch sour which reminds me of banana and coconut lingering for a moment.

This is rather full in the mouth leaving a rich feeling and an almost candy coating on my teeth.

I would say average drinkability considering its ABV. Well done on a fun rendition of a stout.

4.05/5  rDev +24.6%

Received a growler of this deliciousness from northernbrews. If this thing is half as good as Cup O' Joe then I'm in for a real treat. Shared with my buddy.

Consumed on Feb 20th 2009. Wrote the review then but didn't post for some damned reason.

Appearance- Pours a dark brownish black with hints of crimson with a small tan head that recedes quickly leaving no cap and thin collar. Not much in the way of lacing.
Smell- Lightly sweet with definite hints of marshmallow and chocolate. If I press hard enough I swear I get some gram cracker too. Vanilla bean and plenty of roast really pop as the beer warms and I get zero in the way of hops. This is malt and candy through and through.
Taste- Starts super chocolaty and rich with a light vanilla undertone that compliments the chocolate nicely. Sweet, (but not overly so) the alcohol kind of sneaks in helping to even everything off. Somewhat smoky as well but for the most part it just hangs in the background. Not an overly complex brew but very good.
Mouthfeel- Fairly full body with very light carbonation and a thick creamy feel.
Drinkability- Not sure what the ABV is on this bad boy but it's gotta be up there. After a couple glasses you can really feel it. And those couple glasses went down damned easy. Very good beer that I enjoyed thoroughly. Thanks much Jeff!!

Fourth beer of the night...I have been eating a ton to make sure I am not inebriated! It is working great because I'm not even remotely tipsy which makes for great beer reviews! A third beer enjoyed tonight courtesy of erikkoppin. I have been wanting to try this beer for quite some time after reading about it on the forums (despite it getting mixed reviews). Let's see how it fares!

Appearance - Pours jet black into my Bell's Tulip. About a finger of quickly dissipating tan head is achieved that leaves little lacing on the sides of the glass. Right off the bat, I will say there are NO chunks or anything remotely close to what people have been describing in their beers. So I find this to be a positive sign.

Smell - Sweet chocolate, a most DEFINITE graham cracker aroma (and I emphasize this because it honestly does smell like smores, creepy almost). Hints of smokiness and coffee.

Taste - After the initial taste I am relived to say this is not an infected or messed up S'more Stout others have been talking about. Loads of chocolate, bready/graham cracker, just a hint of marshmallow, and a surprisingly smoky flavor, which let's face it, is part of the enjoyment of smores (having that great smoky flavor imparted onto the actual smore...makes me miss Traverse City from this summer). Quite enjoyable tonight and I can't wait to tell my brother-in-law and fellow beer geek about this beer tomorrow.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - To be frank, quite so. I didn't realize the ABV until I looked at the description. I was expecting 5-7 tops, not 9. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I feel bad for the people who have gotten infected bottles, because Short's puts out some amazing beers. I hope in the near future they figure out all infection issues because this is a world class brewery and it is only a matter of time until they explode with [even more] popularity. Another well done beer by Short's!

[edit] So I had another one of these tonight and it was starting to turn infected (tartness to it) and I can see how if someone drank this over a non-infected S'more Stout they would have negative reviews - sucks how different this beer is with a bit of infection. Oh well, I got one damn good one in!

Reviewed on 3-3-11
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Poured a dark brew with one finger of creamy foam. Decent lacing ring with little carbonation present

S - Malt's, chocolate with not much hop nose

T/M - Interesting taste, chocolate comes into play, real malty. Can't tell if I am tasting the marshmallow though. No hop bitterness at all

D - Pretty drinkable stout. Malty brew that went down pretty smooth. I would only drink one of these though; it was a little too sweet for me. I recommend people trying it but I wouldn't seek this brew out again.

3.97/5  rDev +22.2%

So Deuane provided half of PA's BA community with Short's growler and I was lucky enough to score one of them. We (my wife and I) cracked it after a pretty rough day for her. It hit the spot!

A - Dark brown but opaque. One finger of tan head. Not much lacing left behind from this one.

S - The smell is a mixture of roasted malts, some smoke, milk chocolate, and with a deep inhale comes some alcohol.

T/M - At first, from the growler the most present taste in the roasted malts and some smoke. I knew it needed to warm some - so it did. That is when this one gets a lot more complex, in my opinion. Some chocolate, some smoke, then some sweet - that is where I get the marshmallow from. Under everything else there is a warming alcohol taste/sensation that is present. Not harsh alcohol but good for the kind of night it is and the kind of beer, it is just right. It is generally smooth (a little bite at the end) with good carbonation and medium bodied.

D - I like the beer - very complex tasting to say the least. I would drink it again, but not necessarily do everything in my power to seek it out.

Another creative and interesting brew from Joe Short that is definitely worth checking out if you have the chance! Thanks again Deuane!!

3.97/5  rDev +22.2%

A-Deep, dark chocolate brown with a thin tan ring. Left spotty lace.

S-Light aroma of smokey roast, sweet graham cracker and milk chocolate.

T-A lot of complexity on the palate. Roasted malt with a bit of graham, some sweet marshmallow and chocolate. A hint of smoke on the back end. finishes quite dry.

M-Medium bodied with good lasting flavours. Nice dry finish.

D-Interesting stuff, I was not sure quite what to expect. This one did not hit it out of the park for me, but I certainly enjoyed it.

3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

On tap at Great Taste 2010

I had no idea this was 9.2% abv

Pours a layer of tan head. Color is a dark brown.

Aroma/Taste: I was shocked, but I was actually able to get graham crackers out of this. It was unique and I give shorts props for bringing out this taste. I got a lot of burnt chocolate flavors with roasted malts. It was also creamy. I couldn't really pick out the marshmallows though.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy with some toasted notes to it. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation.

Overall, this was another unique beer from shorts. After seeing the abv, this thing is fairly drinkable in that matter. I just wish the marshmallows would have shown.

3.94/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- A very deep, dark murky brown, bordering on black liquid. The head is very thin and splotchy and almost disappears.

S- Smells exactly what is advertised. Smells of burnt marshmallow, bonfire, chocolate, and graham cracker. Sweet and smoky. Very intriguing.

T- Smoke, chocolate, graham cracker, and some alcohol. Odd, but at the same time what I expected.

M- A very smooth body, but the lasting smokiness is a bit much.

D- Rich and tasty. One bottle is enough. Definitely an experience. Would probably go great around a bonfire in the fall.

3.92/5  rDev +20.6%

On tap at Lord Hobo in a pint glass.

Short's S'more Stout pours stout black, with a light helping of caramel foam. Head retention is alright, but lacing is pretty sparse. The nose is spot on for s'mores, with plenty of marshmallow and chocolate, and a little bit of bready crackers. The aroma is a little dull though. The graham crackers, already a minor note in the nose, come precipitously close to disappearing completely in the flavor profile. Fortunately, the chocolate and marshmallow (not an easy flavor to get in beer in my experience) are even more robust, leaving the flavor still pretty good, if a little bit farther away from the s'mores goal than the aroma. The mouthfeel's a little off for a stout, with the body a little on the dry side, and the carbonation noticeably active. Short's really are the mad scientists of the beer world, and it's impressive how close they came to their target with the S'more Stout.

3.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours one shade from black with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of heavy roasted malts with mild amounts of unsweetened chocolate. Also present are very slight amounts of burnt marshmellows.

Tastes more complex than it smells. Large roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solid amounts of slightly sweet marshmellows. Midway through the sip semi-sweet chocolate flavors work their way into things along with a slight cracker flavor. The roasted malts and chocolate carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's a bit on the thin side with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I was actually surprised by how straightforward this beer was. A solid stout with a few small bells and whistles that's worth a shot.

3.82/5  rDev +17.5%

Bottle shared by twig86, thanks!

a - pours a deep black color, half-inch khaki colored head with light retention and lacing

s - lots of dark roasted malt in the aroma, dark chocolate, light marshmallow and graham cracker, not much alcohol detectable

t - dark chocolate and toasty malt dominate, much lighter notes of graham cracker and toasty marshmallow (if I looked for it) along with vanilla, alcohol is pretty well hidden

m - medium-bodied, very light carbonation, light alcohol warming, well-balanced finish

d - fairly drinkable for a 9+% abv stout, I don't really get the s'more character out of it, but it's a pretty good stout nonetheless, relatively easy on the palate and the alcohol is well-hidden

Very nice stout overall, but this doesn't really exude a s'more character for me. Well worth a try if you can come across a bottle.

3.82/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Special thanks to joshuaseresse for this from our trade!

A: Pours a rather sickly looking, Tootsie Roll brown with no trace of head or lace. Some oily looking smears were left on the inside of the glass.

S: Slightly sour lactic aroma that was much like the sour notes that were present in P,B,&J and Uber Goober...but on a much smaller scale. Once I got past that it began to open up. Milk chocolate, fudge brownie, graham crackers, and flourless chocolate cake.

T: The sour notes of the smell are barely there in the taste, which follows the nose very closely. As the bottle wore on a slightly smoky, campfire flavor seeped out.

M: Very sticky with a fair amount creaminess. A slightly peppery alcohol sizzle played around on my tongue and lips and left a long lasting prickle behind.

D: Actually very easy to drink. After the initial hint of sour I was expecting this to be a full-on train wreck. Not so, at all. Actually, this was very enjoyable and the alcohol, while there, wasn't in your face.

3.8/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours black with a small brown head that forms and disappears almost right away.

Smell: Roasted Barley, Coffee, Chocolate, Toasted Marshmallow, and Vanilla.

Taste: Chocolate, Vanilla, Dark Fruits, and some Graham Cracker. Medium bodied.

I think this was a lot better with the flaming marshmallow in the glass. It damn good, but not S'more-esque.

3.77/5  rDev +16%

A- 12 oz. bottle decanted into a pint glass. Black in color with just a trace of fizzy brown head that dissipates rather quickly. Not much lacing to really speak of.

S- Good chocolatey roasted flavor. Muted aromas of marshmallow and toasted malts (graham cracker?) come through. Not exactly like a s'more, but a decent representation of one.

T- Not as good as the smell. The roasted chocolate flavors are still there in good amounts. It does have a sugary taste to it as well which makes me think of marshmallow. Interesting to say the least.

M- Medium body, good amounts of carbonation. About right for the style.

D- Pretty drinkable. I've also had this on tap with the flaming marshmallow, and it really does add to the characteristics of the brew. I suppose I could replicate this in my house pretty easy. A good brew from Short's, very innovative.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

A-Pours a murky dark brown color with almost no head or lacing left on the glass.
S-Chocolate and mild graham cracker aroma with roasted coffee notes and bready malts. I'm not getting any marshmallow aroma and the sweetness in the smell must be from the chocolate.
T-Bittersweet chocolate and deep roasted malts with an ashy-oakiness. There is a tinge of sourness/bitterness and, of course, the thought of infection crept in to my thoughts. Perhaps it's just the subconscious overthinking things.
M-Moderate feel and low carboration.
D-This is an interesting beer and a good effort and experiment although it misses the mark a bit. This would be interesting to try on tap without the interference and complication of potentional infection issues.

3.74/5  rDev +15.1%

Bottle courtesy of mikesgroove, thanks again!

Pours a flat black color with a very faint tan head.

Aromas are of cocoa and milk chocolate. Smells nice.

Taste is very chocolate forward. Milk chocolate, cocoa, some light coffee, creamy sweetness, and really faint cracker taste on the smooth finish. As the beer warmed, I noticed a slight sourness.

Mouthfeel is pretty nice. Smooth, with nice fullness.

Drinkability is good. These odd ball Shorts brews have been kind of hint and miss (part of that due to a few infections), but this one works, and works pretty well. Doesn't taste a whole lot like a smore, this is more like a pretty chocolatey stout. Good stuff.

3.73/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz bottle poured into my Troegs pint glass.

This interesting brew pours a chocolate black with a chunky mocha colored head that quickly fades leaving lots of lacing and a thin film of... wait a second, that's not head or lacing at all, it's actually chunks of graham cracker. I thought they made a s'more stout, not liquefied an actual s'more and put it in a bottle.

Smell is mostly of roast, burnt coffee with a little hint of graham cracker from the floating chunks, I presume.

Tastes more like a coffee stout to me than anything. Mostly burnt coffee with hints of graham cracker and dark chocolate. I'm not really getting marshmallow, but it does make a nice coffee stout.

Mouthfeel is medium and a little grainy, with light carbonation. Drinkability is high as it's not too over the top in any category and goes down easy. I wouldn't have guessed s'mores in a blind tasting (aside from the graham cracker floaties) but it's a nice beer overall.

3.68/5  rDev +13.2%

Thanks Jeff for sharing this one!

This bottle was purchased straight from the brewery.
Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip it pours a blackish burnt mahoghany, glinting lighter brown around the edges when held to the Tennessee sun. A wispy offwhite skim of foam across the surface, that eventually breaks after a few sips, throwing spotty lace froth around the edges.

Earthy charred roast, deeply malty, with a creamy and slightly lactic note.

Flavors of black malt roastiness, peanuts, toasted graham crackers, bitter dark chocolate. Sadly no toasted marshmallow to be found, but tasty nonetheless. Rich with mellow roast, a dry aftertaste with a lingering nuttiness. Lighter bodied with creamy carbonation. Not a bad stout, it was pretty interesting.

Short's S'more Stout from Short's Brewing Company