Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Short's S'more Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's S'more StoutShort's S'more Stout

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: ffejherb on 12-03-2008

1.12/5  rDev -65.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass, generously shared by nickd717. Thanks. From notes.

A: Even if this beer weren't infected -- and I knew it was, because Short's was on the label -- the appearance would be awful. Floating chunks of... what the hell is this?!?! Flakes of marshmallow? It's completely unappealing to the eye.

S: Sour, funky. Some chocolate, cracker, and possibly marshmallow.

T: I had a hard time picking out the s'more ingredients. It was mostly just sour and tart, with a light barnyard note in the finish.

M: Thin, with floaties and chunks swirling in my mouth. It was very, very off-putting.

D: It's hard to tell if Short's is aiming to be one of those novelty breweries with ridiculous ingredient lists or a case study in "how can we infect everything we make," but at this point I don't trade for anything they make, because it betrays a lack of common sense. (884 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -57.9%

12oz bottle poured into an oversized snifter. Bottle provided as a generous extra by brian23456, thanks Brian! This one has been on my 'Wants' for a while.

A - This beer pours a dark brown, black in the middle but gradually lightens around the edges. It only builds a very meager head; about half a finger's worth if that. Retention is even worse as it quickly sheds any semblance of head in a matter of seconds. Lacing is also spotty with only a few select areas of glasses bearing any mark of lace.

S - The moment of truth: the first smell. I have to say prior to receiving this beer I was incredibly stoked for this beer and has been on my 'Wants' for awhile even though I didn't actively try to land it yet. Will my anticipation be rewarded? Upon the first smell, it's a bold and resounding no. Not at all. I can't really place this aroma at all, it's a hybrid of stale tobacco that carries a bit of smokiness with it, something sweet gone wrong (sour milk?) that I can only imagine to be some representation of marshmallows... It's certainly different and interesting in the way it keeps drawing me to smell it just so I can distinguish what it is, but I can't say it's tantalizing in the least. Give me this beer blind in 10 years and I'll probably be able to peg it as soon as the cap comes off, it's that impressionable.

T - In my days of actually reviewing and analyzing beer, I know that although a majority of the time the smell isn't a direct mirroring of the taste or quality, it sometimes can be misleading. I am really hoping this is of the latter variety. And although the taste isn't a carbon copy of the nose, it still isn't appetizing. It starts with some really nice smoked malts that give a great charred note to this beer, but it quickly dissolves into that stale tobacco taste before being swept away by a torrent of overwhelming sweetness. I immediately think this might be one of my first drain pours but want to give it a chance to warm up. Almost done with the bottle and it's not getting any better at all. The one positive of this beer: it really does hide the alcohol well, but I'd rather have some alcohol than the weird melange of flavors and sweetness that's assaulting my palate now.

M - Mouthfeel is thin with low carbonation. Finish is all sweetness and unfortunately lasts a long time.

D - Drinkability is low. This is a serious struggle to finish this beer and honestly is near the bottom of any beers I've tried, which is sad given I've had some pretty rough infections. A complete and utter disappointment of a beer given my anticipation, but even after I slayed the idea of it living up to them, it still boils down to being a pretty disgusting beer. (2,696 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -53.9%

After enjoying the Strawberry Short's Cake and being very impressed with the Key Lime Pie, this was a HUGE disappointment. I poured the first one down the drain, then after I opened this one I realized that it wasn't just that bottle; maybe they actually meant it to be like this? No, probably just crazy infected. This is not a good beer.

A - The head lasted all of 5 seconds, revealing what I can only assume are graham cracker crumbs floating on the surface and clinging to the inside of the glass where one would expect lace. LOTS of them. It looks like a goddamn yeast infection, and not the magical kind.

S - Smells like sour chocolate milk, nuts, and sweet smoke.

T - At least it does not taste as bad as it looks, although the sight of it is killing the experience. Anyway, there is no trace of graham cracker or marshmallow, and no more chocolate than, say, Brooklyn Brown Ale. There is an almost redeeming toasted/roasty thing going on, but it does not cover up the milky sour twang. The abv. is extremely well hidden.

M - Mouthfeel is mealy and watery. Carbonation is lifeless.

I haven't had em all, but from a purely objective stance, this may be the worst stout that I've ever had. I have a few more, can't wait to see what happens to this beer in a few months. (1,280 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -53.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yet another infected Short's beer generously shared by nickd717.

Fizzy dark brown, this is becoming over-carbonated, though the head is fleeting and the beer is topped by chunks of...I don't even know, marshmallow maybe? The chocolate/marshmallow/graham cracker aroma is slightly noticeable but buried beneath funky sour notes. Similar on the palate, dark malt and marshmallow beneath lactic sourness. Fizzy mouthfeel with some chunkiness from the floaties. Yeah, another interesting Short's beer ruined by infection. (518 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -41.2%

$2.30 for a 12oz single @ Jacks. A "robust stout brewed with graham cracker crumbs, milk chocolate and marshmallow". No ABV on the bottle. Unfiltered. Thick layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle. Pours out to a murky dark brown, forming a small light tan soapy head with poor retention and no lacing. The aroma is of sour milk, chocolate, black walnut, faint herbal hop presence, faint smoke, maybe some dark molasses, but definitely no graham cracker or marshmallow. Overall, the nose is sadly, pretty dang gross. The mouthfeel is sour, VERY chalky, medium bodied, lightly carbonated. The taste is VERY chalky...very mineralized, sour, smoke, burnt malts. Sickly. Sits in the stomach poorly. I definitely don't get marshmallow or graham.

One of the grossest beers I've had in a long time. The combination of the chalk, sourness and smoke was revolting. I'd be interested in trying it on tap, because the other reviews here are mostly tap/growler and people seem to like it. Definitely a no-go in the bottle for me. (1,025 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -36.8%

12oz bottle thanks to mikeincharleston.

Pours darkest brown with a one-finger tan head.

The aroma is...well...a little sour. Not good. S'mores and wild yeast, not a good mix.

The flavor is also sour s'mores. Really rather nasty unfortunately.

Medium-light bodied and sour.

Oh man, just not good at all. Shame this had to get infected, since it seems like an interesting beer. (380 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -34.7%

With a name like S'more Stout... how could this be so bad? Poured from the bottle (cool label) into a Saison Dupont glass.

Pour let me know, immediately, that something wasn't right. Deep dark brown, barely any head, and a gross cap of what looks to be tiny chunks of graham cracker and marshmallow. What head was initially at the top is gone in, literally, seconds. Sigh.

Smell is okay. It's not repulsive, but it's nowhere as rich and decadent that a "robust stout" brewed to be like a freaking s'more should be. Chocolate, dark malt, roast. Marshmallow and graham cracker seem to be there as well, but in such small quantities that I very well could be imagining it.

Taste is not great. Weirdly medicinal. Dark chocolate, but it's somehow cheap, lacking a depth of character that I would like. Marshmallow is kinda there, but as a sickly sweetness. Graham, I don't taste. No discernible hop character. I can't taste a bit of the 9.2%, so that's impressive, I guess. Way too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and flat. This beer needs carbonation.

Drinkability: Not for me. I drank about a quarter of the bottle and then gave the rest to my girlfriend, who seemed to loathe it less than me.

This one's not great. I'd avoid it, despite how awesome it sounds like it would be. (1,280 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -34.4%

<JEREMY2002 = bad trader>
Much love to mgbickel for hooking me up with this as consolation for my misfortune in the RIS BIF, Round 2. Thanks, Mike!

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Solid black with deep brown highlights around the edges. Thin mocha covering with a thicker collar. Some swabs of lacing.

Very interesting smell: Blackened cookies, a little caramel, along that interesting organic smell that straddles roses & dirty diapers. Not necessarily appetizing, but interesting nonetheless.

Sharp, tart dark fruits & skins up front, pretty much dominating the flavor, with some alcohol & a roasty, astringent aftertaste. Kind of a Belgian yeast character, in its spicy & fruit qualities, though I doubt this used a Belgian yeast.

Medium-full body, with some flintiness & a little bit sharp from booze. Astringency in the aftertaste is not great, either.

Man, I've had some Short's beers that were very evocative, but this really missed the mark. Really, kind of a mess. Wouldn't want to try it again, this is coming close to a pour. (1,045 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -31.9%

A= Poured dark black with a small head that disappeared very fast.

S= To me it seems a lot like chocolate and a few roasted malts that it about all I smell.

T= Taste kind of threw me a bit really bitter to me thought it would have more body to it don't really taste anything but bitterness.

M= To me this one could have used some more carbonation. I really expected a full bodied beer since it was a stout but this one was just really thin bodied and very bitter.

D= I'm glad I just bought a bottle of this one thought it would be interesting to try but I was wrong. Not even worth a try for me I will be pourning the rest of the beer down the drain. IMO not really worth trying. (683 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle thanks to Thorpe, I don't think mine was infected but it might as well have been, big disappointment here. Get your shit together Shorts.

Beer is brown with a weak thin head with no lacing, low carbonation, it looks OK.

Beer smells like...ashes?

Beer is a little thin...but I can forgive it since the beer tastes like ashes and rubber. Maybe this is infected, it's just not as bad as everyone is saying. The finish is bitter and ashy, I won't have it again. (467 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -26.3%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Thanks to the Central PA group from the Gang Bang BIF for this bottle!

Been meaning to get my hands on a bottle o' this for some time. Finally. It pours a dark black-brown topped by a half-finger of short-lived dirty white foam. Some small flakes of something or other (the graham crackers?) float about on the surface. this thing kinda looks like a biology project I made in ninth grade... The nose comprises graham crackers, chocolate powder, black cherry, dank raspberry, and cinnamon. Methinks infection has set in on this one... The taste holds notes of sour cherry, dark chocolate, honey, light coffee, blueberries, and graham crackers. The sour berry notes are pretty strong, though not yet all-encompassing. Still, it isn't very appetizing (nor is it anywhere close to a s'more). The body is a light-ish medium, with a moderate carbonation, a watery feel, and a dry-ish finish. Overall, infection seems to have sullied what could have been at least a decent beer. Shame, really. (1,033 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured into a little tasting glass from the Elysian Pumpkin Festival.

A: pours a light black with chunks of something in it. Graham crackers? Marshmellow? Not appetitizing

S: smells like sweet candy with more sugar and kind of a burnt chocolate smell as well. not good either

T: taste is overly sweet with tons of off flavors to it.

M: chunks of something and a lack of carbonation are the final nail in the coffin for this beer.

Overall not very good which is sad because the other shorts beers i've had tend to be pretty good. (534 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -24.5%

Thanks to Florida9 for tossing this my way when I was in town the other day. Been wanting to try it for a while (despite the reviews I remain curious).

a - opened the bottle and filled my cigar city snifter. pretty murky looking with weird bubbling and stuff (yep, STUFF...like in orange juice, ya know STUFF). odd for a beer and a bit offputting. no head and the stuff clung to the side of the glass...little gross.

s - burnt chocolate crossed with a milk stout. very roasted and very burnt.

t - wow, now that's different. kind of sour, actually. makes me wonder if this is infected, but other reviews tell me that this is expected. the roasted burnt chocolate in the nose is there, but the tartness is so overwhelming that it takes over. i don't really know what to think or say about this beer. not sure if i will be able to get through the bottle.

m - super sharp mouth. heavy carbonation...kind of thick, but the sourness just confuses things. after a few moments of a not great aftertaste, things come together and my mouth feels a cool roasted chocolate aftervibe.

o - overall, a miss. short's is hit or miss. the names are usually pretty spot on, but to say s'more stout makes me think of deliciousness...the chocolate milk stout makes sense, but the sourness...that does not. i wonder if this is infected? (1,319 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

One of my big wants from one of my favorite breweries. Support your midwest brewers!! Big thanks to glazeman for this one.

A - Dark brown with no head and no lacing. Looks like black coffee that's been sitting out for a day or two.

S - Coffee, chocolate, figs, and...poop. Not good.

T - Similar to the appearance, tastes sort of like stale, burnt coffee that's been sitting out for a few days. A hint of sour chocolate in the finish, but no graham crackers and certainly no marshmallows.

M - Good. Nice consistency for a high ABV American stout.

D - Very drinkable with regards to the lack of alcohol heat. But let's be honest - the drinkability of this beer is severely limited by it's taste. This is just not a good beer. That being said, at 9.20% ABV, I'd rather drink three of these and get hammered than barrel my way through 6 Coors lites... (854 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -21.1%

A: pours a deep brown with large floaty chunks visible on the surface. Not much head. Having trouble getting past the chunks in this.

S: the initial aroma is quite nice, big deep notes of chocolate and coffee, creamy hints of vanilla and marshmallow. On second smell, I pick up some dark fruits that seem a little out of place along with a touch of smoke.

T: the dark fruit character that I picked up on the nose basically dominate the flavor. Starts of sweet and becomes quite tart. Not getting the chocolate or coffee from the nose.

MF: thinner than I would expect from an imperial stout.

O: another disappointment from Short's. I really had high hopes for a beer with S'mores in the title, but this was ultimately a failure. (732 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

S'more has a dark brown body and a brown head. Retention and lacing are both OK.

The aroma is really sweet, and manages to smell a lot like a marshmallow with lots of sugar added into the mix. A little bit of chocolate swirls around in there also.

This one is sickeningly sweet. Burnt sugar leads off, with a marshmallow flavor following it. Lots of sweet chocolate, and some roasted malt. The burnt sugar definitely dominates. This beer does succeed in tasting a little bit like a s'more, but it is cloying and overly sweet.

This beer feels a little unpleasant due to its extreme sweetness, but it does seem to have adequate body and carbonation.

I couldn't even drink 12 ounces of this. A six pack would be out of the question. Too sweet and sugary. (755 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -18%

12oz bottle poured into snifter - thanks to Donerik

Pours a blacked out color with little to no head. Slight film glides across the top without lacing.

Roasted malts and burnt marshmallows in the nose. Some hints of bready graham, chocolate, and sugar with a dash of unfortunately familiar Short's metallic weirdness.

Dark malts right up front with some milky chocolate. Notes of graham cracker and burnt sugar, which are quickly smashed into oblivion by a metallic sourness. Yes, this one appears to have turned. I can see what they're going for here, but the profile is pretty much wrecked after the sour cherry sugar surge.

Medium body, abrasively high carbonation, rough on the palate. After having about 20-25 different Short's beers, I'll chalk this one up to an old/off bottle and re-review when a fresh batch is released. I really wish this wouldn't continue happening with their beers though, especially since I know this should be SO much better than the bottle I just had. (990 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -17.3%

Bottle gifted by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

A: Dark brown with a thin, wispy head that leaves a few small traces of lacing randomly located around the glass.

S: Roasted malt with a big chocolate scent. Also, I detect a lactic scent that is slightly sour / milky.

T: The beer is honestly not very enjoyable. It's always fun to try a new beer, and especially one by Short's, a brewery that pushes the limits to the extreme. However, this beer does not taste like smores. I enjoy smores made on the campfire, but I struggle to find the connection between smores and this beer.

The flavor is mostly of burned malts, chocolates (which are the redeeming quality of the beer), and a slightly sour taste that I can only guess is the brewer's attempt to replicate a marshmallow flavor.

M: The body is too thin and frail to be associated with a stout of any kind. Carbonation level is on the low end of the spectrum.

D: I'm thankful for the opportunity to try this, but I won't have it again and I would not recommend it. I thought Short's PB & J was really innovative and fun. Strawberry Short's Cake was not only convincing, but incredibly tasty and very drinkable. I commend Short's for pushing the boundaries, but this beer just falls short. (1,240 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -15.8%

Thanks to my parents for picking some of this up in Michigan. Poured into a snifter.

Pours chestnut brown with a touch of cream. No head even on a hard pour. No lacing. Won't dock it too far given the style and alcohol content. Nose brings forward a good dose of chocolate and a slight acetic character. Taste is slight chocolate and not much else other than a bit of sourness. Feel is really thin and partly sour. Poor drinkability. (434 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -15.8%

A - Clear dark brown with a small mocha-colored head. Frothy and short lived. Quickly dissipates into a thin ring around the glass. No Lacing.

S - Sweet sugary malts, dark roasted malts, little chocolate and light alcohol.

F/M - Dry roasted dark chocolate malts. Light caramel sweetness, very bitter, acrid almost burnt characteristic. Dry astringent finish. Medium body, medium carbonation. Lingering roasty aftertaste.

D - Okay, dry acrid and quite bitter, but kind of easy drinking although quite weird tasting. (517 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Dirty dark brown in color. Cloudy, yet still a little translucent. What I will assume are graham cracker crumbs form clumpy islands on the surface of the beer. There is no head whatsoever.

S: Rich scent of dark chocolate, coffee, some roasted malts, and a little marshmallow.

T: Sour mash? Chocolate and some light graham cracker flavor, but the sourness dominates. This is not an infected sourness either - it's a cheap, shitty, gas station coffee sourness. Not appealing at all.

M: Medium bodied, but the sourness makes it feel thin. Prickly. Lower carbonation levels.

O: Not impressive. Doesn't take like a smores at all. Doesn't taste much like a stout, either. (676 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Sampled on 10-2-10

Pours very thick and black, almost completely opaque with just a little red around the edges. No head, wit just a thin film of lacing.

Smell is very smoky and malty, with a hit of molasses and the tiniest bit of hops. All sweetness and smokiness, a little too one sided.

Taste is sweet and sour, a little off, with lots of malty and smoky flavors. Not very complex, with a slightly boozy and metallic finish. Not good.

Mouthfeel is way too thin, and does not help the thick, malty, flavors. Sharp carbonation doesn't help either.

Drinkability is poor, a result of the taste and mouthfeel.

Overall, an ambitious beer, but a miss. (653 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance-Dark Brown. A few white specks floating around. Very small head that quickly disappeared

Smell-Got some chocolate and vanilla...sweet.

Taste-Eh....first I do not get any Smores taste from this except some slight chocolate so I think Short's missed the mark. Picked up a little vanilla also. Malty taste.

Feel-lightly carbonated...creamy feel...medium body

Drinkability-I would not drink more than one...not due to the ABV but the overall quality of the beer. I am glad I tried it...being a smore fan and a fan of different beer.

Thanks to Thorpe429 for throwing this in as an extra! (599 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -10.2%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint.

(A)- Pours a black color that produced a decent tan colored head that dissipated almost immediately to froth.

(S)- A lightly dusty cocoa aroma in front of a nutty peanut-like creamy raisin roasted profile.

(T)- Same like the smell, but with a big sugar-bomb creamy marshmallow-like creamy cocoa profile. Hints of molasses and raisin.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A bit sweet for my taste, but it does fit its name.

(D)- I always will (and have) applauded Shorts for producing some of the most unique beers out on the market, and this one is no different. Smooth and fits the style, but is ridiculously sweet; too sugary for my taste. Still an enjoyable twist, but I could only have this in small doses. (769 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -9.9%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to splax23 for a couple of these in trade.

Pours a deep brown, with a finger of frothy dark mocha colored head. Creamy looking retention on this, that leaves plenty of brown oils and spotty frothy lace behind. The aroma smells of chocolate roast and milky sweetness, giving the nose a sugary tang that is only enhanced by some green citric hop character that hangs on the edges. While not terrible, I would definitely say that some more definition and strength were needed here.

The chocolate flavor is thick here in the taste, as is astringent roast and lactic sweetness, which all combine to give this a somewhat souring component as this warms up. The sweet sugars of the cocoa and graham cracker tries to cover this up but there is also some green herbal hop textures that are present as well and only help add to this. That sweet earthy tang just seems to hang forever on the palate and honestly, gets to be a bit tiresome. The mouthfeel has a thicker medium body on it, with more of a creamy and bubbly feel to the carbonation that stays pretty easy feeling overall despite the sharpness of the flavors. Is this beer really 9%? What is the point of that? I will say that I only got a little warmth hanging back but not nearly enough considering the size of this, which helps give the feel some points.

I can see what they were shooting for with this one but man, the final product just didn't work out at all. The sweetness here plus the roast and the hops all just offered too much of the same thing and when all melded together like that were just overload. I managed to finish the bottle but I have to say, the flavors here were a bit of a mess. (1,701 characters)

Short's S'more Stout from Short's Brewing Company