Short's S'more Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: ffejherb on 12-03-2008

2.72/5  rDev -16.3%

Thanks to my parents for picking some of this up in Michigan. Poured into a snifter.

Pours chestnut brown with a touch of cream. No head even on a hard pour. No lacing. Won't dock it too far given the style and alcohol content. Nose brings forward a good dose of chocolate and a slight acetic character. Taste is slight chocolate and not much else other than a bit of sourness. Feel is really thin and partly sour. Poor drinkability.

1.5/5  rDev -53.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yet another infected Short's beer generously shared by nickd717.

Fizzy dark brown, this is becoming over-carbonated, though the head is fleeting and the beer is topped by chunks of...I don't even know, marshmallow maybe? The chocolate/marshmallow/graham cracker aroma is slightly noticeable but buried beneath funky sour notes. Similar on the palate, dark malt and marshmallow beneath lactic sourness. Fizzy mouthfeel with some chunkiness from the floaties. Yeah, another interesting Short's beer ruined by infection.

3.68/5  rDev +13.2%

Thanks Jeff for sharing this one!

This bottle was purchased straight from the brewery.
Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip it pours a blackish burnt mahoghany, glinting lighter brown around the edges when held to the Tennessee sun. A wispy offwhite skim of foam across the surface, that eventually breaks after a few sips, throwing spotty lace froth around the edges.

Earthy charred roast, deeply malty, with a creamy and slightly lactic note.

Flavors of black malt roastiness, peanuts, toasted graham crackers, bitter dark chocolate. Sadly no toasted marshmallow to be found, but tasty nonetheless. Rich with mellow roast, a dry aftertaste with a lingering nuttiness. Lighter bodied with creamy carbonation. Not a bad stout, it was pretty interesting.

4.2/5  rDev +29.2%

so i decided last night to break out 10, thats right 10 new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

a nice pour starts it off quite nicely with a dark brown color and smooth one finger head of dark tan that hung around long enough and with enough power to coat the top of the glass quite nicely..

aroma is very sweet. lots of chocolate and what can only be described as a graham cracker like aroma mixed with a hint of smoked notes. very interesting for sure. as i take the first sip it becomes apparent that this one, unlike some of the others of the day is going to work quite nicely. smooth mellow chocolate and smoked notes mix well with a thick malty base an a smooth, graham cracker like flavor that imparts hints of the namesake. no touch of abv in this one at all, in fact i had no idea this was over 9 percent and drank like it was 4. smooth and creamy sweet finish really left that smoked note on the palate for a good bit.

overall a very, very solid beer that i thoroughly enjoyed. one of the better of these interesting new shorts beers.

3.01/5  rDev -7.4%

Thanks to Derek for sending me a bottle of this the other day. Fingers crossed it's not infected...

A: The pour is a very dark brown with a surprisingly small off-white head that fizzles out quickly.

S: There's a touch of metal to the aroma, but otherwise a nice roast and a good sweet creaminess, giving the marshmallow feel to it. A bit of a chocolate aroma to it as well.

T: The flavor is pretty sweet and mostly starts off with chocolate. There's a little bit of a sourness to it, which certainly doesn't jive with the s'more theme. A decent enough graham cracker/malt flavor, though.

M: The body is medium with a low to medium level of carbonation and a bit of a sour/metallic tinge on the finish.

D: Not really that great due to the obvious signs of infection. It's too bad as I could imagine myself really liking this beer.

3.4/5  rDev +4.6%

I had this on-tap during the pre EBF throwdown at Lord Hobo.

Appearance: This beer pours pitch black with a finger of tan head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet roast with lots of graham cracker and some dark chocolate. Quite nice.

Taste: I was really disappointed that the graham cracker didn't show up here like it did in the smell. Less sweetness with dark chocolate and some bitter roast.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side of medium with smooth, thick carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This beer smells really good, but is a bit of a letdown when it comes to the taste. Still not bad.

2.38/5  rDev -26.8%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Thanks to the Central PA group from the Gang Bang BIF for this bottle!

Been meaning to get my hands on a bottle o' this for some time. Finally. It pours a dark black-brown topped by a half-finger of short-lived dirty white foam. Some small flakes of something or other (the graham crackers?) float about on the surface. this thing kinda looks like a biology project I made in ninth grade... The nose comprises graham crackers, chocolate powder, black cherry, dank raspberry, and cinnamon. Methinks infection has set in on this one... The taste holds notes of sour cherry, dark chocolate, honey, light coffee, blueberries, and graham crackers. The sour berry notes are pretty strong, though not yet all-encompassing. Still, it isn't very appetizing (nor is it anywhere close to a s'more). The body is a light-ish medium, with a moderate carbonation, a watery feel, and a dry-ish finish. Overall, infection seems to have sullied what could have been at least a decent beer. Shame, really.

2.91/5  rDev -10.5%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to splax23 for a couple of these in trade.

Pours a deep brown, with a finger of frothy dark mocha colored head. Creamy looking retention on this, that leaves plenty of brown oils and spotty frothy lace behind. The aroma smells of chocolate roast and milky sweetness, giving the nose a sugary tang that is only enhanced by some green citric hop character that hangs on the edges. While not terrible, I would definitely say that some more definition and strength were needed here.

The chocolate flavor is thick here in the taste, as is astringent roast and lactic sweetness, which all combine to give this a somewhat souring component as this warms up. The sweet sugars of the cocoa and graham cracker tries to cover this up but there is also some green herbal hop textures that are present as well and only help add to this. That sweet earthy tang just seems to hang forever on the palate and honestly, gets to be a bit tiresome. The mouthfeel has a thicker medium body on it, with more of a creamy and bubbly feel to the carbonation that stays pretty easy feeling overall despite the sharpness of the flavors. Is this beer really 9%? What is the point of that? I will say that I only got a little warmth hanging back but not nearly enough considering the size of this, which helps give the feel some points.

I can see what they were shooting for with this one but man, the final product just didn't work out at all. The sweetness here plus the roast and the hops all just offered too much of the same thing and when all melded together like that were just overload. I managed to finish the bottle but I have to say, the flavors here were a bit of a mess.

3.08/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a nice mahogany brown color with moderate carbonation evident and one inch of tan head that lasts for 1-2 minutes. On top of the beer is a little bit of off white/tan sediment that looks like Swiss Miss hot chocolate, which I think is what they were going for.

s - Smells of sweet chocolate, roasted malts, cocoa, and graham cracker/bready malts. Also some light smokey malts and coffee. Also getting some sour lactic in the nose, which drags it down a bit to me.

t - Tastes of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, roasted malts, light coffee, light alcohol, and cream, which kind of gives it the s'more taste. Hint of sourness but not as much as the smell. A step up from the smell.

m - Light body and moderate to high carbonation.

d - Not the best stout I've had but I'm glad I got to try it and I appreciate what they were going for. I definitely enjoyed this beer more than the Key Lime Pie Short's beer I had a few days ago, but again, there was some sour/lactic that I did not find enjoyable. Might give another shot but certainly wouldn't seek out again.

2.36/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle thanks to Thorpe, I don't think mine was infected but it might as well have been, big disappointment here. Get your shit together Shorts.

Beer is brown with a weak thin head with no lacing, low carbonation, it looks OK.

Beer smells like...ashes?

Beer is a little thin...but I can forgive it since the beer tastes like ashes and rubber. Maybe this is infected, it's just not as bad as everyone is saying. The finish is bitter and ashy, I won't have it again.

3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

On tap at Great Taste 2010

I had no idea this was 9.2% abv

Pours a layer of tan head. Color is a dark brown.

Aroma/Taste: I was shocked, but I was actually able to get graham crackers out of this. It was unique and I give shorts props for bringing out this taste. I got a lot of burnt chocolate flavors with roasted malts. It was also creamy. I couldn't really pick out the marshmallows though.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy with some toasted notes to it. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation.

Overall, this was another unique beer from shorts. After seeing the abv, this thing is fairly drinkable in that matter. I just wish the marshmallows would have shown.

2.67/5  rDev -17.8%

Bottle gifted by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

A: Dark brown with a thin, wispy head that leaves a few small traces of lacing randomly located around the glass.

S: Roasted malt with a big chocolate scent. Also, I detect a lactic scent that is slightly sour / milky.

T: The beer is honestly not very enjoyable. It's always fun to try a new beer, and especially one by Short's, a brewery that pushes the limits to the extreme. However, this beer does not taste like smores. I enjoy smores made on the campfire, but I struggle to find the connection between smores and this beer.

The flavor is mostly of burned malts, chocolates (which are the redeeming quality of the beer), and a slightly sour taste that I can only guess is the brewer's attempt to replicate a marshmallow flavor.

M: The body is too thin and frail to be associated with a stout of any kind. Carbonation level is on the low end of the spectrum.

D: I'm thankful for the opportunity to try this, but I won't have it again and I would not recommend it. I thought Short's PB & J was really innovative and fun. Strawberry Short's Cake was not only convincing, but incredibly tasty and very drinkable. I commend Short's for pushing the boundaries, but this beer just falls short.

3.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. First off, the beer had hard, white chunks floating on the top. At first I thought they were marshmellows, but they were very hard. Very strange.

The beer pours a dark brown color with red highlights. The aroma is graham crackers, honey and chocolate. The flavor is chocolate, smoke and roasted malt. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Some other people I drank this with thought it was showing signs of infection. I didn't get any of the sour notes that I have gotten in other Short's beers such as PB&J, but the mouthfeel was a little thinner that I think it should have been which could be from an infection.

I actually liked this beer a lot better than the other people that tried it. A very strange beer, but one that I am glad I got to try.

3.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bruery tulip glass. It poured dark brown in color with a thin dusting for a head spread out over the beer.

The aroma really shows the graham crackers in it which is pretty interesting. A lot of dark, roasted malts with a moderate dark chocolate flavor come through as well. I'd like to say I get a little of the marshmallow in it and I think I do, but I'd never pick it out if it hadn't been written on the bottle. Pretty cool aroma overall and not bad.

The taste shows more milk chocolate to it then the nose did. Roasted, bitter malts come through pretty well also. less of the graham cracker comes through but it's still there. The finish shows a little of what could be the marshmallow, but again I wouldn't ever have picked it out if it wasn't written on the bottle. Pretty decent tasting beer overall with a little interesting element to it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is decent, it had some good stout flavors and built some interesting flavors off of that. Not a bad beer overall, but not as cool and different as I had hoped.

3.65/5  rDev +12.3%

12oz received as part of a massive SURPRISE box from Kbeals!!

Pours with a very short lived tan head... the pretty much black.

Nose is milk chocolate... and with a swirl, I swear I get marshmallows... Not really finding any graham cracker sadly... a hint of cinnamon (could be the EtOH).

Flavor has the graham cracker pretty prevalent with melting waves of chocolate... NOW, I'm having a hard time picking up on the marshmallow.. hints of smoke on the finish.. pretty earthy with warmth... never would have even come close to guessing the ABV!!

Body is medium... pretty amazing given the high gravity.. carbonation is actually on the lite side...

Interesting brew.... definitely not gonna ever be my favorite, but interesting for sure...

Kevin is pure and simple, awesome. Very generous and a trader's trader who I am glad to say that I recently was able to meet in person and share some great brews. Kevin is "Good Humans" :-)

Edit: Some reviewers say this may be infected, I really am not sure.. often with so much dark malt, a sour twinge is imparted into the brew.... there is a very minor "twang" more in the nose and even less on the finish.. That said, I like it and am very excited to share with the local peeps.

3.59/5  rDev +10.5%

Another bottle toward my trade deficit with jale (thanks Jim!). Poured into a Great Lakes snifter. Lots of reports of infection, but this bottle seemed fine to me.

It pours murky brown, looks like sedimentation floating around in the liquid, with a thin and short-lived tan head. Excellent start! The aroma is VERY nice in a Short's way. No marshmallows or graham crackers, but I do get some chocolate. And alcohol. Not bad in-your-face alcohol, it's just that this smells potent.

The graham crackers are there in taste though, biscuit and cocoa and nice breadiness. No marshmallows still, this is sweet tasting but not sweet enough for me to get marshmallow.

Medium-thick body, dry mouthfeel. I enjoyed this beer immensely, although it may have been due to toasting a winning night at poker.

3.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours one shade from black with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of heavy roasted malts with mild amounts of unsweetened chocolate. Also present are very slight amounts of burnt marshmellows.

Tastes more complex than it smells. Large roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solid amounts of slightly sweet marshmellows. Midway through the sip semi-sweet chocolate flavors work their way into things along with a slight cracker flavor. The roasted malts and chocolate carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's a bit on the thin side with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I was actually surprised by how straightforward this beer was. A solid stout with a few small bells and whistles that's worth a shot.

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown with a half finger head

smell: chocolate, graham cracker,

taste: sour, with graham cracker mashmellow backend

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body

overall: I love what these guys are trying to do. But for some reason they just don't hold up very well.

2.65/5  rDev -18.5%

12oz bottle poured into snifter - thanks to Donerik

Pours a blacked out color with little to no head. Slight film glides across the top without lacing.

Roasted malts and burnt marshmallows in the nose. Some hints of bready graham, chocolate, and sugar with a dash of unfortunately familiar Short's metallic weirdness.

Dark malts right up front with some milky chocolate. Notes of graham cracker and burnt sugar, which are quickly smashed into oblivion by a metallic sourness. Yes, this one appears to have turned. I can see what they're going for here, but the profile is pretty much wrecked after the sour cherry sugar surge.

Medium body, abrasively high carbonation, rough on the palate. After having about 20-25 different Short's beers, I'll chalk this one up to an old/off bottle and re-review when a fresh batch is released. I really wish this wouldn't continue happening with their beers though, especially since I know this should be SO much better than the bottle I just had.

3.12/5  rDev -4%

12 oz bottle split and poured into a snifter. No date or info.

Thanks to Thorpe429 for this one!

A - Pitch black in color, even a tall, vigorous pour couldn't rouse any head out of this beer. Poor retention on the thin tan foam, no lace left over. Tiny chunks what I assume to be part of the graham cracker cling to the glass though.

S - Lots of roasted malts flood the aroma. Cocoa and bitter-sweet chocolate with some coffee come out too. A touch of the graham cracker is in there with a pinch of marshmallow-like sugary sweetness.

T - Very, very roasted malts. A hint of smoky malt in there bit it's just acrid bitterness. Coffee and cocoa are prominent. No graham cracker available in flavor and the marshmallow is only slightly hinted at after the swallow.

M - Dry and very acrid bitter with a dry roasted finish and a lingering metallic note. Medium-full bodied.

D - The alcohol doesn't really show through which definitely makes it a little easier to drink, but it's just great overall. If you're gonna make something called a S'more Stout (and who doesn't love s'mores), you better do it right, otherwise it's a major let-down. If this was a normal stout, it would be decent, but as a s'more stout, it fails. Also, why is the alcohol so high in this anyway?

2.9/5  rDev -10.8%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint.

(A)- Pours a black color that produced a decent tan colored head that dissipated almost immediately to froth.

(S)- A lightly dusty cocoa aroma in front of a nutty peanut-like creamy raisin roasted profile.

(T)- Same like the smell, but with a big sugar-bomb creamy marshmallow-like creamy cocoa profile. Hints of molasses and raisin.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A bit sweet for my taste, but it does fit its name.

(D)- I always will (and have) applauded Shorts for producing some of the most unique beers out on the market, and this one is no different. Smooth and fits the style, but is ridiculously sweet; too sugary for my taste. Still an enjoyable twist, but I could only have this in small doses.

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Big thanks to Spica66 for a few bottles of this one in a recent trade! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured a massively dark brown almost black with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained minimal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and tobacco (really!?!?!?). The flavor was of roasted malt, chocolate, sugar (from the marshmallows maybe?), and tobacco (OMG, I wasn't dreaming it in the aroma). It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this wasn't that bad. But tobacco, really!? Not sure at all how I feel about this note in the aroma and flavor. It was only in the aftertaste on the flavor thank God, but still... Just not pleasing at all. Other than this one off flavor this was a decent American stout. Just hate it shot itself in the foot.

2.44/5  rDev -24.9%

Thanks to Florida9 for tossing this my way when I was in town the other day. Been wanting to try it for a while (despite the reviews I remain curious).

a - opened the bottle and filled my cigar city snifter. pretty murky looking with weird bubbling and stuff (yep, in orange juice, ya know STUFF). odd for a beer and a bit offputting. no head and the stuff clung to the side of the glass...little gross.

s - burnt chocolate crossed with a milk stout. very roasted and very burnt.

t - wow, now that's different. kind of sour, actually. makes me wonder if this is infected, but other reviews tell me that this is expected. the roasted burnt chocolate in the nose is there, but the tartness is so overwhelming that it takes over. i don't really know what to think or say about this beer. not sure if i will be able to get through the bottle.

m - super sharp mouth. heavy carbonation...kind of thick, but the sourness just confuses things. after a few moments of a not great aftertaste, things come together and my mouth feels a cool roasted chocolate aftervibe.

o - overall, a miss. short's is hit or miss. the names are usually pretty spot on, but to say s'more stout makes me think of deliciousness...the chocolate milk stout makes sense, but the sourness...that does not. i wonder if this is infected?

3.39/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

It's time for a short Short's review, this one was just ok, it looked and smelled like a pretty straight forward stout, I didn't really pick up any of the featured ingredients in this beer, but when paired with a marshmallow graham cracker treat it seems like it brought out some of those flavors, but it could have just been the treat. It wasn't bad, but in the end I was just a little disappointed.

2.74/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Dirty dark brown in color. Cloudy, yet still a little translucent. What I will assume are graham cracker crumbs form clumpy islands on the surface of the beer. There is no head whatsoever.

S: Rich scent of dark chocolate, coffee, some roasted malts, and a little marshmallow.

T: Sour mash? Chocolate and some light graham cracker flavor, but the sourness dominates. This is not an infected sourness either - it's a cheap, shitty, gas station coffee sourness. Not appealing at all.

M: Medium bodied, but the sourness makes it feel thin. Prickly. Lower carbonation levels.

O: Not impressive. Doesn't take like a smores at all. Doesn't taste much like a stout, either.

Short's S'more Stout from Short's Brewing Company