Short's S'more Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's S'more StoutShort's S'more Stout

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: ffejherb on 12-03-2008)

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

2.68/5  rDev -18.8%

Thanks to my parents for picking some of this up in Michigan. Poured into a snifter.

Pours chestnut brown with a touch of cream. No head even on a hard pour. No lacing. Won't dock it too far given the style and alcohol content. Nose brings forward a good dose of chocolate and a slight acetic character. Taste is slight chocolate and not much else other than a bit of sourness. Feel is really thin and partly sour. Poor drinkability.

4.2/5  rDev +27.3%

so i decided last night to break out 10, thats right 10 new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

a nice pour starts it off quite nicely with a dark brown color and smooth one finger head of dark tan that hung around long enough and with enough power to coat the top of the glass quite nicely..

aroma is very sweet. lots of chocolate and what can only be described as a graham cracker like aroma mixed with a hint of smoked notes. very interesting for sure. as i take the first sip it becomes apparent that this one, unlike some of the others of the day is going to work quite nicely. smooth mellow chocolate and smoked notes mix well with a thick malty base an a smooth, graham cracker like flavor that imparts hints of the namesake. no touch of abv in this one at all, in fact i had no idea this was over 9 percent and drank like it was 4. smooth and creamy sweet finish really left that smoked note on the palate for a good bit.

overall a very, very solid beer that i thoroughly enjoyed. one of the better of these interesting new shorts beers.

Thanks to Derek for sending me a bottle of this the other day. Fingers crossed it's not infected...

A: The pour is a very dark brown with a surprisingly small off-white head that fizzles out quickly.

S: There's a touch of metal to the aroma, but otherwise a nice roast and a good sweet creaminess, giving the marshmallow feel to it. A bit of a chocolate aroma to it as well.

T: The flavor is pretty sweet and mostly starts off with chocolate. There's a little bit of a sourness to it, which certainly doesn't jive with the s'more theme. A decent enough graham cracker/malt flavor, though.

M: The body is medium with a low to medium level of carbonation and a bit of a sour/metallic tinge on the finish.

D: Not really that great due to the obvious signs of infection. It's too bad as I could imagine myself really liking this beer.

1.5/5  rDev -54.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yet another infected Short's beer generously shared by nickd717.

Fizzy dark brown, this is becoming over-carbonated, though the head is fleeting and the beer is topped by chunks of...I don't even know, marshmallow maybe? The chocolate/marshmallow/graham cracker aroma is slightly noticeable but buried beneath funky sour notes. Similar on the palate, dark malt and marshmallow beneath lactic sourness. Fizzy mouthfeel with some chunkiness from the floaties. Yeah, another interesting Short's beer ruined by infection.

3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks Jeff for sharing this one!

This bottle was purchased straight from the brewery.
Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip it pours a blackish burnt mahoghany, glinting lighter brown around the edges when held to the Tennessee sun. A wispy offwhite skim of foam across the surface, that eventually breaks after a few sips, throwing spotty lace froth around the edges.

Earthy charred roast, deeply malty, with a creamy and slightly lactic note.

Flavors of black malt roastiness, peanuts, toasted graham crackers, bitter dark chocolate. Sadly no toasted marshmallow to be found, but tasty nonetheless. Rich with mellow roast, a dry aftertaste with a lingering nuttiness. Lighter bodied with creamy carbonation. Not a bad stout, it was pretty interesting.

2.35/5  rDev -28.8%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Thanks to the Central PA group from the Gang Bang BIF for this bottle!

Been meaning to get my hands on a bottle o' this for some time. Finally. It pours a dark black-brown topped by a half-finger of short-lived dirty white foam. Some small flakes of something or other (the graham crackers?) float about on the surface. this thing kinda looks like a biology project I made in ninth grade... The nose comprises graham crackers, chocolate powder, black cherry, dank raspberry, and cinnamon. Methinks infection has set in on this one... The taste holds notes of sour cherry, dark chocolate, honey, light coffee, blueberries, and graham crackers. The sour berry notes are pretty strong, though not yet all-encompassing. Still, it isn't very appetizing (nor is it anywhere close to a s'more). The body is a light-ish medium, with a moderate carbonation, a watery feel, and a dry-ish finish. Overall, infection seems to have sullied what could have been at least a decent beer. Shame, really.

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to splax23 for a couple of these in trade.

Pours a deep brown, with a finger of frothy dark mocha colored head. Creamy looking retention on this, that leaves plenty of brown oils and spotty frothy lace behind. The aroma smells of chocolate roast and milky sweetness, giving the nose a sugary tang that is only enhanced by some green citric hop character that hangs on the edges. While not terrible, I would definitely say that some more definition and strength were needed here.

The chocolate flavor is thick here in the taste, as is astringent roast and lactic sweetness, which all combine to give this a somewhat souring component as this warms up. The sweet sugars of the cocoa and graham cracker tries to cover this up but there is also some green herbal hop textures that are present as well and only help add to this. That sweet earthy tang just seems to hang forever on the palate and honestly, gets to be a bit tiresome. The mouthfeel has a thicker medium body on it, with more of a creamy and bubbly feel to the carbonation that stays pretty easy feeling overall despite the sharpness of the flavors. Is this beer really 9%? What is the point of that? I will say that I only got a little warmth hanging back but not nearly enough considering the size of this, which helps give the feel some points.

I can see what they were shooting for with this one but man, the final product just didn't work out at all. The sweetness here plus the roast and the hops all just offered too much of the same thing and when all melded together like that were just overload. I managed to finish the bottle but I have to say, the flavors here were a bit of a mess.

3.35/5  rDev +1.5%

I had this on-tap during the pre EBF throwdown at Lord Hobo.

Appearance: This beer pours pitch black with a finger of tan head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet roast with lots of graham cracker and some dark chocolate. Quite nice.

Taste: I was really disappointed that the graham cracker didn't show up here like it did in the smell. Less sweetness with dark chocolate and some bitter roast.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side of medium with smooth, thick carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This beer smells really good, but is a bit of a letdown when it comes to the taste. Still not bad.

2.33/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle thanks to Thorpe, I don't think mine was infected but it might as well have been, big disappointment here. Get your shit together Shorts.

Beer is brown with a weak thin head with no lacing, low carbonation, it looks OK.

Beer smells like...ashes?

Beer is a little thin...but I can forgive it since the beer tastes like ashes and rubber. Maybe this is infected, it's just not as bad as everyone is saying. The finish is bitter and ashy, I won't have it again.

3.08/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a nice mahogany brown color with moderate carbonation evident and one inch of tan head that lasts for 1-2 minutes. On top of the beer is a little bit of off white/tan sediment that looks like Swiss Miss hot chocolate, which I think is what they were going for.

s - Smells of sweet chocolate, roasted malts, cocoa, and graham cracker/bready malts. Also some light smokey malts and coffee. Also getting some sour lactic in the nose, which drags it down a bit to me.

t - Tastes of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, roasted malts, light coffee, light alcohol, and cream, which kind of gives it the s'more taste. Hint of sourness but not as much as the smell. A step up from the smell.

m - Light body and moderate to high carbonation.

d - Not the best stout I've had but I'm glad I got to try it and I appreciate what they were going for. I definitely enjoyed this beer more than the Key Lime Pie Short's beer I had a few days ago, but again, there was some sour/lactic that I did not find enjoyable. Might give another shot but certainly wouldn't seek out again.

3.1/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. First off, the beer had hard, white chunks floating on the top. At first I thought they were marshmellows, but they were very hard. Very strange.

The beer pours a dark brown color with red highlights. The aroma is graham crackers, honey and chocolate. The flavor is chocolate, smoke and roasted malt. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Some other people I drank this with thought it was showing signs of infection. I didn't get any of the sour notes that I have gotten in other Short's beers such as PB&J, but the mouthfeel was a little thinner that I think it should have been which could be from an infection.

I actually liked this beer a lot better than the other people that tried it. A very strange beer, but one that I am glad I got to try.

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

3.95/5  rDev +19.7%

On tap at Great Taste 2010

I had no idea this was 9.2% abv

Pours a layer of tan head. Color is a dark brown.

Aroma/Taste: I was shocked, but I was actually able to get graham crackers out of this. It was unique and I give shorts props for bringing out this taste. I got a lot of burnt chocolate flavors with roasted malts. It was also creamy. I couldn't really pick out the marshmallows though.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy with some toasted notes to it. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation.

Overall, this was another unique beer from shorts. After seeing the abv, this thing is fairly drinkable in that matter. I just wish the marshmallows would have shown.

2.63/5  rDev -20.3%

Bottle gifted by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

A: Dark brown with a thin, wispy head that leaves a few small traces of lacing randomly located around the glass.

S: Roasted malt with a big chocolate scent. Also, I detect a lactic scent that is slightly sour / milky.

T: The beer is honestly not very enjoyable. It's always fun to try a new beer, and especially one by Short's, a brewery that pushes the limits to the extreme. However, this beer does not taste like smores. I enjoy smores made on the campfire, but I struggle to find the connection between smores and this beer.

The flavor is mostly of burned malts, chocolates (which are the redeeming quality of the beer), and a slightly sour taste that I can only guess is the brewer's attempt to replicate a marshmallow flavor.

M: The body is too thin and frail to be associated with a stout of any kind. Carbonation level is on the low end of the spectrum.

D: I'm thankful for the opportunity to try this, but I won't have it again and I would not recommend it. I thought Short's PB & J was really innovative and fun. Strawberry Short's Cake was not only convincing, but incredibly tasty and very drinkable. I commend Short's for pushing the boundaries, but this beer just falls short.

3.43/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bruery tulip glass. It poured dark brown in color with a thin dusting for a head spread out over the beer.

The aroma really shows the graham crackers in it which is pretty interesting. A lot of dark, roasted malts with a moderate dark chocolate flavor come through as well. I'd like to say I get a little of the marshmallow in it and I think I do, but I'd never pick it out if it hadn't been written on the bottle. Pretty cool aroma overall and not bad.

The taste shows more milk chocolate to it then the nose did. Roasted, bitter malts come through pretty well also. less of the graham cracker comes through but it's still there. The finish shows a little of what could be the marshmallow, but again I wouldn't ever have picked it out if it wasn't written on the bottle. Pretty decent tasting beer overall with a little interesting element to it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is decent, it had some good stout flavors and built some interesting flavors off of that. Not a bad beer overall, but not as cool and different as I had hoped.

Short's S'more Stout from Short's Brewing Company