2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Short's S'more Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's S'more StoutShort's S'more Stout

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: ffejherb on 12-03-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 112 | Reviews: 75 | Show All Ratings:
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

2.63/5  rDev -19.1%

Bottle gifted by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

A: Dark brown with a thin, wispy head that leaves a few small traces of lacing randomly located around the glass.

S: Roasted malt with a big chocolate scent. Also, I detect a lactic scent that is slightly sour / milky.

T: The beer is honestly not very enjoyable. It's always fun to try a new beer, and especially one by Short's, a brewery that pushes the limits to the extreme. However, this beer does not taste like smores. I enjoy smores made on the campfire, but I struggle to find the connection between smores and this beer.

The flavor is mostly of burned malts, chocolates (which are the redeeming quality of the beer), and a slightly sour taste that I can only guess is the brewer's attempt to replicate a marshmallow flavor.

M: The body is too thin and frail to be associated with a stout of any kind. Carbonation level is on the low end of the spectrum.

D: I'm thankful for the opportunity to try this, but I won't have it again and I would not recommend it. I thought Short's PB & J was really innovative and fun. Strawberry Short's Cake was not only convincing, but incredibly tasty and very drinkable. I commend Short's for pushing the boundaries, but this beer just falls short.

12-06-2010 21:08:37 | More by Huhzubendah
flexabull

3.73/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottle courtesy of mikesgroove, thanks again!

Pours a flat black color with a very faint tan head.

Aromas are of cocoa and milk chocolate. Smells nice.

Taste is very chocolate forward. Milk chocolate, cocoa, some light coffee, creamy sweetness, and really faint cracker taste on the smooth finish. As the beer warmed, I noticed a slight sourness.

Mouthfeel is pretty nice. Smooth, with nice fullness.

Drinkability is good. These odd ball Shorts brews have been kind of hint and miss (part of that due to a few infections), but this one works, and works pretty well. Doesn't taste a whole lot like a smore, this is more like a pretty chocolatey stout. Good stuff.

12-03-2010 23:35:47 | More by flexabull
glid02

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev +18.5%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours one shade from black with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of heavy roasted malts with mild amounts of unsweetened chocolate. Also present are very slight amounts of burnt marshmellows.

Tastes more complex than it smells. Large roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solid amounts of slightly sweet marshmellows. Midway through the sip semi-sweet chocolate flavors work their way into things along with a slight cracker flavor. The roasted malts and chocolate carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's a bit on the thin side with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I was actually surprised by how straightforward this beer was. A solid stout with a few small bells and whistles that's worth a shot.

11-22-2010 02:31:06 | More by glid02
bierenutz

3.78/5  rDev +16.3%

A-Pours a murky dark brown color with almost no head or lacing left on the glass.
S-Chocolate and mild graham cracker aroma with roasted coffee notes and bready malts. I'm not getting any marshmallow aroma and the sweetness in the smell must be from the chocolate.
T-Bittersweet chocolate and deep roasted malts with an ashy-oakiness. There is a tinge of sourness/bitterness and, of course, the thought of infection crept in to my thoughts. Perhaps it's just the subconscious overthinking things.
M-Moderate feel and low carboration.
D-This is an interesting beer and a good effort and experiment although it misses the mark a bit. This would be interesting to try on tap without the interference and complication of potentional infection issues.

11-17-2010 02:14:49 | More by bierenutz
tetonka4kzoo

4.3/5  rDev +32.3%

Pours a dark brown, almost black color. It has a thin lacey head.

Great nose! A robust, roasted malt smell with hints of nuts and smoke. It also has an expresso aroma.

S'more Stout has a chocolaty taste. This stout has a smokey yet sweet taste. You also notice the graham cracker taste after two sips. Very tasty and delicious.

Smooth and creamy feel. I guess that's where the marshmallows come in.

Very drinkable, had 3 last night! Another unique and creative brew from Shorts.

11-14-2010 14:29:56 | More by tetonka4kzoo
LiquidBread219

Indiana

2.15/5  rDev -33.8%

A= Poured dark black with a small head that disappeared very fast.

S= To me it seems a lot like chocolate and a few roasted malts that it about all I smell.

T= Taste kind of threw me a bit really bitter to me thought it would have more body to it don't really taste anything but bitterness.

M= To me this one could have used some more carbonation. I really expected a full bodied beer since it was a stout but this one was just really thin bodied and very bitter.

D= I'm glad I just bought a bottle of this one thought it would be interesting to try but I was wrong. Not even worth a try for me I will be pourning the rest of the beer down the drain. IMO not really worth trying.

11-13-2010 21:03:51 | More by LiquidBread219
billab914

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bruery tulip glass. It poured dark brown in color with a thin dusting for a head spread out over the beer.

The aroma really shows the graham crackers in it which is pretty interesting. A lot of dark, roasted malts with a moderate dark chocolate flavor come through as well. I'd like to say I get a little of the marshmallow in it and I think I do, but I'd never pick it out if it hadn't been written on the bottle. Pretty cool aroma overall and not bad.

The taste shows more milk chocolate to it then the nose did. Roasted, bitter malts come through pretty well also. less of the graham cracker comes through but it's still there. The finish shows a little of what could be the marshmallow, but again I wouldn't ever have picked it out if it wasn't written on the bottle. Pretty decent tasting beer overall with a little interesting element to it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is decent, it had some good stout flavors and built some interesting flavors off of that. Not a bad beer overall, but not as cool and different as I had hoped.

11-09-2010 02:16:06 | More by billab914
largadeer

1.5/5  rDev -53.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yet another infected Short's beer generously shared by nickd717.

Fizzy dark brown, this is becoming over-carbonated, though the head is fleeting and the beer is topped by chunks of...I don't even know, marshmallow maybe? The chocolate/marshmallow/graham cracker aroma is slightly noticeable but buried beneath funky sour notes. Similar on the palate, dark malt and marshmallow beneath lactic sourness. Fizzy mouthfeel with some chunkiness from the floaties. Yeah, another interesting Short's beer ruined by infection.

11-08-2010 21:15:15 | More by largadeer
nickd717

2.03/5  rDev -37.5%

12oz bottle thanks to mikeincharleston.

Pours darkest brown with a one-finger tan head.

The aroma is...well...a little sour. Not good. S'mores and wild yeast, not a good mix.

The flavor is also sour s'mores. Really rather nasty unfortunately.

Medium-light bodied and sour.

Oh man, just not good at all. Shame this had to get infected, since it seems like an interesting beer.

11-05-2010 16:57:53 | More by nickd717
number1bum

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for this bottle. Also courtesy of Kevin I got to try this beer about 2 years ago when he had a growler. I don't remember what the beer tasted like or how much I liked it, but I certainly remember lighting up some marshmallows with a burnzomatic and tossing them in the beer, then throwing marshmallows (not flaming this time) all over the room in a sort of beer pong game. Good times.

Anyway, this one pours a pretty dark brown color with very little head, even with a vigorous poor. Not even half an inch, and it also doesn't keep at all. A rimjob only.

Smell has some nice milk chocolate up front, with a sort of lactose sweetness as well. Has a touch of coffee and some roasted malt as well. The graham cracker doesn't really stand out. A nice nose.

Taste is not quite as robust as the smell, but does have some nice milk chocolate flavor. Is this really 9.2%? It doesn't show, as the flavor is subdued all the way around. There's a slightly sticky sweetness in the finish that I think is coming from the marshmallow. Again the graham cracker doesn't come through; the graham cracker did come through in Short's Key Lime Pie so I know it's possible; it's not here though. Decent flavor, but frankly it's a bit bland.

Mouthfeel is a medium body but feels awfully thin for what they're trying to accomplish and for the alcohol content (at least according to what it's listed as here, since it's not on the bottle). The label says it's a robust stout; I don't think so.

Gotta be honest, this is really a pretty mediocre beer. The nose is nice, the rest is nothing special and is pretty disappointing in some regards. If this is truly 9.2% then I'd like to know where all the flavor went from the malts that had to go into this to boost the alcohol. If not for the flaming marshmallows a couple of years ago this would not be at all memorable.

11-04-2010 02:14:49 | More by number1bum
SamuelJackson45

3.58/5  rDev +10.2%

A-Pours and mild chocolate body with a small tan head.

S- smell of graham crackers and marshmallow and roasted malt.

T-Taste roasted malt a hint of chocolate and graham cracker.

M- Chewy of the graham cracker and chocolate malt and marshmallow.

D- This is a ok stout.Not the best to say the least. But good to try once.

Cheers..

11-02-2010 13:37:12 | More by SamuelJackson45
crashdavisinoh

2.83/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance-Dark Brown. A few white specks floating around. Very small head that quickly disappeared

Smell-Got some chocolate and vanilla...sweet.

Taste-Eh....first I do not get any Smores taste from this except some slight chocolate so I think Short's missed the mark. Picked up a little vanilla also. Malty taste.

Feel-lightly carbonated...creamy feel...medium body

Drinkability-I would not drink more than one...not due to the ABV but the overall quality of the beer. I am glad I tried it...being a smore fan and a fan of different beer.

Thanks to Thorpe429 for throwing this in as an extra!

10-31-2010 15:31:25 | More by crashdavisinoh
domtronzero

2.7/5  rDev -16.9%

A - Clear dark brown with a small mocha-colored head. Frothy and short lived. Quickly dissipates into a thin ring around the glass. No Lacing.

S - Sweet sugary malts, dark roasted malts, little chocolate and light alcohol.

F/M - Dry roasted dark chocolate malts. Light caramel sweetness, very bitter, acrid almost burnt characteristic. Dry astringent finish. Medium body, medium carbonation. Lingering roasty aftertaste.

D - Okay, dry acrid and quite bitter, but kind of easy drinking although quite weird tasting.

10-19-2010 04:38:00 | More by domtronzero
MrMcGibblets

3.1/5  rDev -4.6%

A: black, minimal receding tan head and lace.
S: has that signature short's smell (the house yeast?)-a fruity, funky thing-not necessarily good, but unique to short's. some chocolate and maybe coffee.
T: sourish. bittersweet chocolatey dark malts. not getting the graham crackers or marshmallows really. lingering sourness and some bitterness.
M: lighlty carbonated, slick, medium-bodied.
D: something is off as with the other experimental short's brews i've had. as with the others, high marks for creativity and low marks for execution. wouldn't have guessed the high abv.

10-17-2010 14:28:58 | More by MrMcGibblets
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.1/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz bottle split and poured into a snifter. No date or info.

Thanks to Thorpe429 for this one!

A - Pitch black in color, even a tall, vigorous pour couldn't rouse any head out of this beer. Poor retention on the thin tan foam, no lace left over. Tiny chunks what I assume to be part of the graham cracker cling to the glass though.

S - Lots of roasted malts flood the aroma. Cocoa and bitter-sweet chocolate with some coffee come out too. A touch of the graham cracker is in there with a pinch of marshmallow-like sugary sweetness.

T - Very, very roasted malts. A hint of smoky malt in there bit it's just acrid bitterness. Coffee and cocoa are prominent. No graham cracker available in flavor and the marshmallow is only slightly hinted at after the swallow.

M - Dry and very acrid bitter with a dry roasted finish and a lingering metallic note. Medium-full bodied.

D - The alcohol doesn't really show through which definitely makes it a little easier to drink, but it's just great overall. If you're gonna make something called a S'more Stout (and who doesn't love s'mores), you better do it right, otherwise it's a major let-down. If this was a normal stout, it would be decent, but as a s'more stout, it fails. Also, why is the alcohol so high in this anyway?

10-16-2010 23:57:11 | More by BeerFMAndy
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.65/5  rDev +12.3%

12oz received as part of a massive SURPRISE box from Kbeals!!

Pours with a very short lived tan head... the pretty much black.

Nose is milk chocolate... and with a swirl, I swear I get marshmallows... Not really finding any graham cracker sadly... a hint of cinnamon (could be the EtOH).

Flavor has the graham cracker pretty prevalent with melting waves of chocolate... NOW, I'm having a hard time picking up on the marshmallow.. hints of smoke on the finish.. pretty earthy with warmth... never would have even come close to guessing the ABV!!

Body is medium... pretty amazing given the high gravity.. carbonation is actually on the lite side...

Interesting brew.... definitely not gonna ever be my favorite, but interesting for sure...

Kevin is pure and simple, awesome. Very generous and a trader's trader who I am glad to say that I recently was able to meet in person and share some great brews. Kevin is "Good Humans" :-)

3.5/3.5/3.5/4/4

Edit: Some reviewers say this may be infected, I really am not sure.. often with so much dark malt, a sour twinge is imparted into the brew.... there is a very minor "twang" more in the nose and even less on the finish.. That said, I like it and am very excited to share with the local peeps.

10-16-2010 08:23:10 | More by JohnGalt1
SpdKilz

Fourth beer of the night...I have been eating a ton to make sure I am not inebriated! It is working great because I'm not even remotely tipsy which makes for great beer reviews! A third beer enjoyed tonight courtesy of erikkoppin. I have been wanting to try this beer for quite some time after reading about it on the forums (despite it getting mixed reviews). Let's see how it fares!

Appearance - Pours jet black into my Bell's Tulip. About a finger of quickly dissipating tan head is achieved that leaves little lacing on the sides of the glass. Right off the bat, I will say there are NO chunks or anything remotely close to what people have been describing in their beers. So I find this to be a positive sign.

Smell - Sweet chocolate, a most DEFINITE graham cracker aroma (and I emphasize this because it honestly does smell like smores, creepy almost). Hints of smokiness and coffee.

Taste - After the initial taste I am relived to say this is not an infected or messed up S'more Stout others have been talking about. Loads of chocolate, bready/graham cracker, just a hint of marshmallow, and a surprisingly smoky flavor, which let's face it, is part of the enjoyment of smores (having that great smoky flavor imparted onto the actual smore...makes me miss Traverse City from this summer). Quite enjoyable tonight and I can't wait to tell my brother-in-law and fellow beer geek about this beer tomorrow.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - To be frank, quite so. I didn't realize the ABV until I looked at the description. I was expecting 5-7 tops, not 9. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I feel bad for the people who have gotten infected bottles, because Short's puts out some amazing beers. I hope in the near future they figure out all infection issues because this is a world class brewery and it is only a matter of time until they explode with [even more] popularity. Another well done beer by Short's!

[edit] So I had another one of these tonight and it was starting to turn infected (tartness to it) and I can see how if someone drank this over a non-infected S'more Stout they would have negative reviews - sucks how different this beer is with a bit of infection. Oh well, I got one damn good one in!

10-16-2010 03:00:44 | More by SpdKilz
Mora2000

3.1/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. First off, the beer had hard, white chunks floating on the top. At first I thought they were marshmellows, but they were very hard. Very strange.

The beer pours a dark brown color with red highlights. The aroma is graham crackers, honey and chocolate. The flavor is chocolate, smoke and roasted malt. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Some other people I drank this with thought it was showing signs of infection. I didn't get any of the sour notes that I have gotten in other Short's beers such as PB&J, but the mouthfeel was a little thinner that I think it should have been which could be from an infection.

I actually liked this beer a lot better than the other people that tried it. A very strange beer, but one that I am glad I got to try.

10-15-2010 03:34:01 | More by Mora2000
GbVDave

3.85/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Special thanks to joshuaseresse for this from our trade!

A: Pours a rather sickly looking, Tootsie Roll brown with no trace of head or lace. Some oily looking smears were left on the inside of the glass.

S: Slightly sour lactic aroma that was much like the sour notes that were present in P,B,&J and Uber Goober...but on a much smaller scale. Once I got past that it began to open up. Milk chocolate, fudge brownie, graham crackers, and flourless chocolate cake.

T: The sour notes of the smell are barely there in the taste, which follows the nose very closely. As the bottle wore on a slightly smoky, campfire flavor seeped out.

M: Very sticky with a fair amount creaminess. A slightly peppery alcohol sizzle played around on my tongue and lips and left a long lasting prickle behind.

D: Actually very easy to drink. After the initial hint of sour I was expecting this to be a full-on train wreck. Not so, at all. Actually, this was very enjoyable and the alcohol, while there, wasn't in your face.

10-15-2010 01:00:15 | More by GbVDave
mdfb79

3.08/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a nice mahogany brown color with moderate carbonation evident and one inch of tan head that lasts for 1-2 minutes. On top of the beer is a little bit of off white/tan sediment that looks like Swiss Miss hot chocolate, which I think is what they were going for.

s - Smells of sweet chocolate, roasted malts, cocoa, and graham cracker/bready malts. Also some light smokey malts and coffee. Also getting some sour lactic in the nose, which drags it down a bit to me.

t - Tastes of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, roasted malts, light coffee, light alcohol, and cream, which kind of gives it the s'more taste. Hint of sourness but not as much as the smell. A step up from the smell.

m - Light body and moderate to high carbonation.

d - Not the best stout I've had but I'm glad I got to try it and I appreciate what they were going for. I definitely enjoyed this beer more than the Key Lime Pie Short's beer I had a few days ago, but again, there was some sour/lactic that I did not find enjoyable. Might give another shot but certainly wouldn't seek out again.

10-15-2010 00:09:10 | More by mdfb79
Schmittymack

Colorado

3.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks Dan for sharing this one on Friday. Poured a light brownish color with a pretty small head that disapated quickly. Aroma is chocolate, marshmallows, and toasted malt. Taste is where this one threw me for a loop: SWEET, almost excessively sweet with chocolate and a touch of vanilla. Nice effort but I seriously doubt I'd seek this one out again unless I could share it with a few others.

10-11-2010 03:42:30 | More by Schmittymack
emmasdad

Colorado

3.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a dark brown color, somewhat murky (although with none of the marshmellow that I have heard could be found floating around) with a smallish off-white head. Aromas of milk and dark chocolate, marshmellow (and according to one of my fellow tasters, a little graham cracker). On the palate, this one is very chocolatey and pretty sweet, with vanilla, powdered cocoa, cream and lightly roasted malt. Pretty solid, but not one I'd actively seek out again.

10-10-2010 22:22:31 | More by emmasdad
Thorpe429

2.68/5  rDev -17.5%

Thanks to my parents for picking some of this up in Michigan. Poured into a snifter.

Pours chestnut brown with a touch of cream. No head even on a hard pour. No lacing. Won't dock it too far given the style and alcohol content. Nose brings forward a good dose of chocolate and a slight acetic character. Taste is slight chocolate and not much else other than a bit of sourness. Feel is really thin and partly sour. Poor drinkability.

10-10-2010 21:35:29 | More by Thorpe429
glazeman

3.08/5  rDev -5.2%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter

A: The darkest of brown, but not quite black in color. Only a ¼ finger head on this beer, that quickly fades into a swirl of bubbles with a crown. A small amount of lacing.

S: Sweeter than I expected, but nice notes of brown sugar, chocolate, and graham cracker. Not much in the way of marshmallow here.

T: Well, for the name S'more Stout, I don't know where the freshly off the campfired marshmallow, chocolate, and graham cracker are. A lot of Short's beers I get what they were going for (i.e. strawberry short's cake, key lime pie, etc...) But here, this tastes nothing like a s'more to me. This tastes like a coffee with way too much sugar added to it. There is only a faint hint of graham cracker, and almost no discernable marshmallow or chocolate.

M: Way too light for my liking. This is as thin as can be and is also quite undercarbonated.

D: Overall, this doesn't taste bad, and isn't that hard to drink, but is still quite a disappointment. Still, at 9.2% ABV, the alcohol is undetectable. I guess, this would be a really good beer to get drunk off of because it goes down easy, isn't all that flavorful, and is light. Short's has always been kind of hit or miss in my book...this one is a miss.

10-06-2010 20:47:18 | More by glazeman
airohead2001

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

One of my big wants from one of my favorite breweries. Support your midwest brewers!! Big thanks to glazeman for this one.

A - Dark brown with no head and no lacing. Looks like black coffee that's been sitting out for a day or two.

S - Coffee, chocolate, figs, and...poop. Not good.

T - Similar to the appearance, tastes sort of like stale, burnt coffee that's been sitting out for a few days. A hint of sour chocolate in the finish, but no graham crackers and certainly no marshmallows.

M - Good. Nice consistency for a high ABV American stout.

D - Very drinkable with regards to the lack of alcohol heat. But let's be honest - the drinkability of this beer is severely limited by it's taste. This is just not a good beer. That being said, at 9.20% ABV, I'd rather drink three of these and get hammered than barrel my way through 6 Coors lites...

10-06-2010 03:42:19 | More by airohead2001