Short's Snow Wheat - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Snow WheatShort's Snow Wheat

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbeals on 03-15-2009)
Reviews by elNopalero:
3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Tasted over the winter, posted from my notes 4 months later.

This pours a crystal gold in color with bright white foam.

I found a Bavarian hefe character on it, with banana clove and coriander in the aroma.

The flavor has a muddled banana clove with no perceptible hop character.

A little too "run of the mill hefe” for my tastes.

elNopalero, Apr 11, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -2.3%

tectactoe, Aug 22, 2014
3.86/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4/16 in Short's holiday variety pack. Pours hazy yellow with a very thin head. No lacing, mild carbonation... The smell is fantastic and the taste is unique; I notice nuttiness with notes of fresh banana bread and taffy. The taste is moderately sweet and of caramel malt and the mouthfeel is smooth with mild carbonation discernable. A pleasant caramel aftertaste is noticeable. A very light and simple wheat ale with good flavors: perfect for enjoying around the holidays or on those cold winter evenings.

schnjac, Dec 30, 2013

bigaddy, Dec 26, 2013

tommy5, Dec 23, 2013

Big_Dave, Aug 15, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

A: The beer is slightly hazy deep yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head the quickly died down, leaving only a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderately strong aromas of bananas are present in the nose along with hints of clove and wheat.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell and is dominated by flavors of bananas, although the wheat is a little stronger. The cloves are most noticeable towards the finish.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink and isn't a bad choice if you like hefeweizens that have lots of bananas in the smell and taste.

metter98, Dec 29, 2013

bob_d_j, Nov 14, 2013

DMarlinJ, Nov 22, 2013

OMills, Apr 01, 2014

HardyA, Nov 10, 2013

tabhill, Jan 15, 2014
3.56/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle of Short's Snow Wheat in their new variety 12 pack for $18.99 at Meijers. I wanted to go with something light tonight so I thought I would give this new beer in Short's new mixed 12 pack a try, so lets see how it goes. No Visible bottling date, but It just showed up so I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Weizen glass.

A- The label looks nice, I think it's pretty fitting for Short's to have a drawing of a dude skiing in shorts. It poured a slightly hazy straw yellow color that took on more of a golden color when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some sticky lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, i have complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a honey like aroma to it and it was followed by that signature Hefeweizen yeast that imparts a medium spicy aroma with ripe bananas seeming to stick out the most with a slight citrus rind aroma in the background. Up next comes some wheaty, grainy, and bready aromas with a slight doughy aroma in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, it had some nice balance to it and it was true to style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that still retains that honey aspect and it's followed by a lower amount of yeast flavors with an equal amount of light banana and spice flavors. Up next comes the malts which seem to stick out the most and impart a wheaty, grainy and bready flavor with pretty much no bitterness and it had a wheaty and grainy aftertaste with a slight bit of yeast. This is a nice tasting HefeWeizen, but I thought the balance could have been a little better.

M- Smooth, crisp, clean, on the light side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was nice and I thought it worked well with this beer.

Overall all I thought this was nice beer and a solid example of the style, I thought it was a little rough around the edges, but I still enjoyed it and it reminds me of a slightly lighter version of Short's Beach Wheat. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, not filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I could probably drink a couple of these, but in the winter I don't really crave this style. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, I thought they were both pretty nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance in the taste, normally I think the yeast can get out of hand with this style, but in this example I thought it was a little light and the wheaty malts were a little too dominating. I don't think I would buy this beer on it's own, it works ok in this mixed pack, but it isn't something I would buy a six pack of. I would recommend this to anyone who likes wheat beer that are on the lighter side. All in all I thought this was a solid Hefeweizen, it wasn't a favorite, but it's far from the worst Hefeweizen I've had, but I felt like there were just a couple things that held this beer back from being as it good as it could be, Nice effort Short's but this isn't a beer that I would look forward to every year, but I'm glad to have a chance to try it.

StoutHunter, Nov 12, 2013