Anniversary Ale - Short's Brewing Company

Beer added by: hoppymeal on 05-08-2009

2009 Tap only
2010 Tap and bottle
2013 Tap and bottle

Same recipe every year, according to the brewer, though ABV varies slightly.

"Anniversary Ale~ A high gravity wheat wine made with blood oranges that render an alluring dark purple hue to the color. Flavor abounds from the spice of green peppercorns and tang from blood orange zest. Aggressive dry hop additions amplify the citrus overtones and spiciness found throughout. ‘Anni’ Ale typifies the full magnitude of Short’s Brewing Company by embodying all the complexities and fulfillment necessary to pay tribute to another year of brewing. 10% ABV 63 IBU's"
4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

I picked up a bottle of Anniversary Ale 2011 for $2.39 at The Lager Mill. It's a warm summer like night in Michigan, so a brew with some wheat and fruit in it sounds like a good choice. I been wanting to try this beer for a while now, I hope it lives up to my expectations. I heard Shorts has started dating there bottles but I don't see one on this bottle,2011 Vintage . Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a mini snifter.

A- The label on this beer is kind of odd looking, looks an old school Russian castle and a kings throne, I don't really understand what they were going for. It poured a deep dark ruby red color that was nice and unique looking, it pretty much looks blood red. It had two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thick ring that left some nice long lacing.

S- Wow, the aroma of this beer is all about citrus fruits and hops. It smells more like DIPA then a wheatwine. The hops seem to pretty floral and are mixed in with tons of citrus fruits like grapefruit, pineapple, mango, and most of all blood oranges, it smells like it could be a hoppy orange juice. Very little wheatwine aromas come through, just the sweetness you would expect from this style. I didn't detect any green peppercorns in the aroma.

T- The taste is pretty much like mixing a half glass of orange juice with a half glass of grapefruit juice with some floral hops thrown in there. The wheat malts show up in the flavor and are pretty subtle and quickly overpowered by all the citrus fruits I picked up in the aroma. Only when it starts to warm up can I pick up the green peppercorns, they are very subtle and add a slight spice complexity to this beer. It had a slightly bitter finish, for how hoppy this smelled I was sure it was going to have some DIPA like bitterness to it but it didn't and I liked that. The booze is hidden masterfully in this beer, no way you could tell this is almost 12% by the taste.

M- Sweet, medium bodied, and the carbonation was descent and was better then most shorts.

Overall I though this was one excellent beer. For this warm mid Michigan night I don't think I could have picked a better beer. To me everything about this beer screams warm weather, the citrus flavors were bold and in your face and I thought that was really good and unique. The blood orange was the most prevalent of the citrus fruits like the description on the bottle implies, the peppercorns were much more subtle and harder to pick out but they did add to the complexity of this beer. The only other Wheatwine I have had was Pilgrims Dole from New Holland, its hard to compare the two since Pilgrims Dole seemed to be much straight forward and truer to the style, while on this beer shorts seems to use the Wheatwine as a backbone to hold tons of hoppy and citrus fruit flavors normally associated with DIPA's, I expect Shorts to try something with a style nobody has tried before and this seems to go along with that just like it should. The drinkability of this beer was awesome, it went down really smooth and there was no way I would have guessed this was almost 12%, which could make it pretty devastating after two or three. I only bought one bottle but I am making sure to grab a six pack before they are all gone so I can have some during the summer. I think everybody should give this beer a try, it's just that good. This was one kick ass brew from Shorts, I love all the crazy shit you guys do to your brews, keep it up. (3,444 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

Fresh 2011 batch purchased from Fitzgeralds Restaurant in Eagle River Michigan. Poured from bottle into snifter.

Appearance: Pours a deep ruby red with a golden white cream half finger fluffy head. Nice lacing that hangs around.

Nose: Blind nose would lead me to a sticky hop nose, but since i read, I know its straight citrus that I'm detecting...bit of toffee, caramel, and spice. Some alcohol in the nose, but not overbearing, really allowing the sweet/tart orange to come through.

Taste: Very, very unique. The mouth starts with a sweet hint of hop bitterness followed by a sweet citrus and toasted malt. The blood oranges shine brightly, supported by an astringent peppery palate. The zest of orange gives this beer a great crisp, dry, puckering quality that adds a fantastic level of complexity.

Mouth: Bright, dry, and crisp mouthful that is fun and not overwhelming. The alcohol is not overly noticeable, and in perfect balance.

Drink and overall: The Shorts legend continues to grow. Fantastic wheat wine, that shines with the addition of peppercorns and blood oranges. I'd say this is a hit, rather than a miss. A beer for savoring. (1,152 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +17.3%

Growler thanks to StFun on Ratebeer! Clear, but very dark orange/red pour, light lasting lacing and an aroma of sweet blood oranges and a little caramel. Flavor is incredibly unique; toffee, floral bittersweet blood oranges, then jumps into bitter grapefruit, pineapple and finished with a warming and just slightly boozy aftertaste. Very good, I might need to go chasing after a few bottles of this. (400 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz bottle generously shared by nonstick at a recent tasting. Poured into a Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary snifter.

A - Pours a gleaming red/orange color, good clarity, no real head - just a low collar and no lacing left on the glass.

S - Aromas of alcohol, peppery, flora, oranges...overall, fairly low intensity that makes you search a bit.

T - Definitely getting oranges, quite bitter, peppercorns, alcohol, slightly tart/astringent. Interesting.

M - Tart, crisp, alcohol heat, fruity oranges...somewhat thin in body with a medium/low carbonation.

O - As usual with Shorts beers...this is interesting and a bit unique. I liked it, but not sure I need a lot of this. We shared a bottle three ways and it seemed about right. Good in small quanities, but not sure that a full bottle is necessary. (802 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -25.1%

tulip glass, 2010 batch.

a - color is an amazing! hazy, blood red. only got a thin film of head with some leggy lacing.

s - floral hops with a lot of citrus. has a slight earthiness that i can't place.

t - what a f'ing weird tasting beer. starts with a toasty malt character, but that is quickly washed away by a strong, herbal hop bitterness. has some citrus notes and a strange pungency, i'm guessing from the peppercorns. finishes bittersweet and slightly boozy.

m - feel is a little thicker than i was expecting, heavier side of medium with very little carbonation. slight alcohol warming.

d - fairly drinkable if you're into it. short's beers seem to be hit or miss, and this is a miss to me. certainly an interesting flavor experience, but not a beer that i'd want to have again. (794 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: the color alone on this scores high points. ruby red/orange hued beauty. rocky, minimal head, but doesnt matter. the color is just amazing, i wouldnt want it any other way... wow.
S: reminds me of a recent trip to florida where we had fresh squeezed local oranges for juice in the mornings. just super concentrated orange blast, and again, huge points. theres just the tiniest hint of alcohol hidden in there, but you have to struggle to find it.
T: the intensity of the oranges backs off just a smidge, but only to let in the peppercorns, but i love how it works together. this beer so far really is just stunning. my tastebuds are going crazy right now.
M: i love how smooth this is and the light heat from the peppercorn just completes the goal at hand. medium body with low carbonation seems the right fit, i cant get enough.
D: if this werent utterly through the roof in terms of ABV, id drink it forever. i know by the time i get to the end ill be ready to move on, but i will be refilling its space in my cellar with more bottles. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. (1,060 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -4%

A - Deep darkish malt, orange hue. Semi murky. Not much head. Fat bubbled lace rest mostly around the edge. Not much going on there.

S - Sweet orangy smell. Wheat and sweet malt also evident. Something more bitter/less sweet. Cannot discern if its hops or peppers.

T - Almost too sweet, and the bitter tries unsuccessfully to rein it in. Most of the smell attributes follow here.

M - Undercarbed and under bittered for me.

D - Unique beer. Good to try one. (460 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: ruby-amber-orange pour, big bubble head hat fades very quickly, some lacing

Smell: Blood orange, caramel malts

Taste: Orange and grapefruit juice mixed together, with bread and careml behind it. A bit sweet. Amazing how it has such a blood orange element to it, although I lost interest in this aspect quickly.

Mouthfeel: Slightly hot, medium body and light carbonation pushes it towards the thin side despite the high ABV. Warming.

Drinkability: Middle of the road in terms of drinkability, a bomber would be overwhelming. (539 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -2.8%

poured into a tulip

A.

beer pours a murky orange/brown color. The head is almost non-existent on this beer.

S.

the smell is pure blood oranges. Sweet fruity smell like orange gummie bears. Slight peppery smell in this beer but mainly oranges.

T.

Same as nose. Sweet oranges... a little peppercorn with hints of bitter hops and booze. Perhaps a maltiness in the finish of this beer as well. This is a very unique brew.

M.

about medium bodied. Decent carbonation. Almost leaves a sticky sweet coating in the mouth, like you just finished eating an orange or drinking some fruit juice. The booziness in the beer is pretty warming. Good for this below-zero night.

D.

Unique none the less. Difficult to find and a little pricey for these beers, but I do enjoy it. It's a sipping beer, but the sweetness makes it feel like I could slam this. ABV is definitely prevalent. A beer you'd just have one of. I've had this out of a growler and a bottle and both were excellent. I'd have it again, but doubt I'll seek it out. (1,024 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +7%

Served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Sierra Nevada Hops glass. Minimal head despite a strong pour. The body was turbid, bright reddish brown color. The head left a white film of foam. Lots of sediment in the bottle and glass.

The smell was simple but intense. Citrus and mild peppercorns. Sweet red grapefruits and spicy.

The taste reflected the aroma. It was almost like drinking a fresh glass of Ruby Red grapefruit juice. I guess it is more like blood orange juice. Very well hidden alcohol, it's hard to believe this beer is over 5%, let alone the 11.70 % listed! Grapefruit pith and a dry green, bittering finish.

The mouthfeel was mildly carbonated and medium in body. (678 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pour a very odd reddish orange color. The brew is very hazy and filled with chunks of yeast. Brew has almost no head just a few bubbles and it did however leave some nice laicng.

S- Very odd here. I'm not really picking up any hops or malts that I can really recognize. I'm getting a bit of a pepper spice and quite a bit of oranges. Guess this label is kidding around.

T- This is another very odd brew from Shorts. I was really excited to try this one, then I was a bit let down, but this one has grown on me as I drink my glass. Quite a bit here going on oranges everywhere, some dark cherries, and something that is very Earth like that I can't put my finger on . Has a bit of a funk in the middle that reminds me of some sour taste, lemons and pine at the very end. Very different.

M- Fuller side of medium in body and medium in carbonation.

D- Not the easiest to drink by any means. This one grew on me a lot. (924 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Got this in a trade with fogdog. Thanks Kevin!

2010 bottle poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance: Deep reddish amber body with a good amount of haze. An off-white, fizzy head surges upward following the pour, but quickly diminishes to a thin halo. Light, spotty lacing.

Smell: Blood orange and grapefruit - loads of each! Alcohol peeks through a bit. Smells good, but certainly lacks complexity.

Taste: Grapefruit and blood orange both dominate; the grapefruit adding tons of citric bitterness, the blood orange contributing sweetness and tang. The taste follows the smell very closely. Pretty one-dimensional, though still enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Tart, dry, bitter, and generously carbonated. Medium in body. Feels much like an imperial IPA, though with a different sort of bitterness.

Drinkability: One-dimensional and strange. I couldn't seem to find anything underneath the heavy grapefruit and blood orange. This felt more like a novelty beer than a celebratory one. (982 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

Courtesy of jdubFL, wow! thanks Justin! Growler poured out clear copper with thin off white head. The aroma is IIPA like with fresh rich citrus, pine and grassiness and then a mild malt like sweetness. The taste is yummy with fresh rich citrus flavors, some pine hop bitterness, spicy rye notes, some drying malt roastiness and a thin layer of sweet maltiness. These notes all head off into the finish with the addition of a pleasing black tea like sensation that brings the whole thing together. This beers is fresh, rich citrus, robust, pummeling hops and yet manages to create a semblance of balance too. Wow! I need a keg or two of this. (641 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

A - body is a very interesting deep red/crimson. there's not really any head left after sitting for a bit, but it's got a nice white ring around the top.
As I poured the rest of the bottle into my snifter, there was a big brown chunk that dropped into it, and now it's an opaque reddish/brown with tons of floaties.

S - intriguing smell. I smell sweet citrus, which I suppose is the blood orange, though I thought it was hops initially. Theres also a tangy syrupy sweetness that compliments this bittersweet citrus smell. Lots of character in a very narrow end of the spectrum.

T - Surprisingly bitter and dry. The orange zest really comes out on the finish. A bit of a citrusy sweetness on the front. A hint of spice from the peppercorns on the middle of the tongue. Really interesting, I've never had anything like it.
With the floaties from the bottom of the bottle, there's more of a malty sweetness on the front of the tongue, and the peppercorns come out more.

M - Very full-bodied and robust. It's a pretty big feeling beer, which is good.

D - it's kind of weird and for that, not the most drinkable beer in the world. But it's really interesting and has a nice warming finish to it. The strength of the dryness and citrusy flavors make this beer one that you don't want to be drinking constantly, but the warmth and intrigue help it out.
The more time I spend with this beer, the more its lingering flavors come out, and after not having taken a sip for several minutes, I distinctly taste peppercorns on the front of my tongue. I like that. (1,554 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Urbancaver - thanks, man!

Pours a cloudy,deep mahogany with speckles of yeasty chuckiness in the mix. Quite sediment fiilled. I let it settle to the bottom and it was okay.

Bitter, semi-sweet orange peels, honey, pepper, marmalade, salty mayonnaise?, lightly sweet malts mix pleasantly in the nose. Unique to say the least.

More orange zest in the mouthfeel. Bittering citrus flavor overpowers the remainder of the beers' flavor profile. I get hints of the wheatwine base, but it's definitely secondary and masked behind all the citrus.

Interesting, but not my favorite Shorts beer... (588 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +14.1%

So I came to the blood orange wheat wine with no point of reference (obviously). I figured worst case this will taste like some orange juice I left in my gym bag all summer... but I gambled any way. And I'm glad I did.

Like most of Short's beers its cloudy. There is always a little sediment swirling at the bottom of a bottle of Shorts. And like with other beers I found this one to be a slightly different experience when you leave the sediment in the bottle and when you poor it in the glass. So try it both ways.

The smell is what you would expect from something advertising its made with blood oranges. Sweet, citrus and sour.

The taste, well let me tell you what its not. Its not like making a screwdriver out of an Oberon. The wheat and orange are well balanced. Balanced in the same way malt and hops are in a great IPA. Think of the bitterness and sourness of the orange replacing the bitterness of hops in an IPA. The sour part of your tongue definitely dances.

Overall a great experience. I don't see knocking down a 6 pack on poker night, its the type of beer you drink in front of a fire and think about. Or drink some with a citrus based dessert. Makes me kinda wish I had one of those dumb chocolate covered orange things you get from people at work on Christmas. (1,285 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe glass. No date or info.

Thanks to Sweemzander for this bottle!

A - Very slightly cloudy, this beer has an awesome ruby-burnt orange color with a thin and loose bone-colored head. Decent retention for the alcohol and sticky lace and legs on the glass as well.

S - Mineral-rich fruit and wet rock strikes me right away. Orange citrus and spicy peppercorn follows with a light alcohol nose that never becomes solventy or hot. Soft wheat and amber malts, slightly toasted, with a hint of caramel back it up. A swirl brings out more orange aroma but also solventy alcohol.

T - Heavy and unique tart citrus arrests the tongue almost instantly and doesn't let go. Peppercorn spice finds it's way in mid-palette with an accompanying mineral hardness flavor. Toasted amber malts and warm ethanol alcohol chill in the background. No real wheat flavor.

M - Sharp tart citrus up front with a medium body and mineral hardness halfway through that finishes with a crisp carbonation and citrus zest. Smooth. The alcohol warms the stomach up slowly but is a little more noticeable retro-nasally.

D - This is a sipping beer if I've ever had one. Warming and potent with a complex flavor profile, Short's Anniversary has some well-used, interesting ingredients to make a good wheatwine. (1,319 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy burnt orange color with a rocky head that doesn't hang around very long though it does leave some dotting behind

Smell: Blood orange pith dominates, though there is a bready aspect underneath

Taste: Orange juice that starts out sweet and then grows ever tarter by mid-palate, when the wheat bread and alcohol make their appearance; after the swallow, the sweet and tart orange flavors interplay and, in the finish, the green peppercorns add a noticeable bit of heat

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with low to moderate carbonation; leaves some warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: I did a 180° with this beer; at first I found it unbalanced and a bit too herbal but as it warmed, I enjoyed the subtle flavorings and, in particular, the peppercorn heat on the finish (792 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Been very anxious to try this one, and thanks to mikesgroove, this bottle found it's way to me. Thanks again!

Pours a bright and clear red color, with a pretty nice small white head. Looks good.

Aromas are boozy, sweet, with light citrus, and tart oranges.

Taste is complex. Wow, lots going on here... Tart citrus fruits, bitter oranges, light spicy wheat, and quite peppery. Finish is quite bitter, boozy and warm.

Mouthfeel is full and thick.

Drinkability is pretty good. But man, at this point it is pretty strong to be something I would make a major effort too revisit.

Interesting, what a conundrum. This beer is a major powerhouse of flavors, super complex, unique, and very interesting. However, part of me wishes I would have sat on this one for a year or two, but the more I sip, the more I notice that this beer is more about the bitter (not hop bitter, but fruit bitter) flavors, and I wonder what would be left after aging this one. With that said, it's still interesting enough to make me wish that there was bottle of this tucked away in my cellar.

Weird beer... Doesn't seem to be like most Wheatwines. (1,124 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. It poured a murky orange/brown color with a thin white sheet barely covering the top of the beer.

The aroma really shows a lot of the orange flavors to it. It has a bright, citrusy, orange juice like flavor to it along with a more bitter orange peel like quality. A sugary like sweetness is present as well. It's interesting, but the orange is a little overpowering. It would have been nice to get more of the wheat out of it.

The taste really blasts you with the orange again. It has more of the bitter but citrusy orange peel flavor to it. The brighter orange juice flavor is there as well but it's more reserved compared to the nose. It turns more bitter in the finish with more of the rind like flavor lingering. Unfortunately like the aroma I don't get much of anything past the oranges.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side with moderate carbonation. Drinkability isn't that great for me, the oranges were just too overpowering to get much of anything else out of it. It felt more like an OJ and vodka at times. I really love the wheatwine style, but this beer didn't do it for me at all. On the positive side they did really infuse a fresh orange taste into it. (1,225 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Big thanks to Jim for the opportunity to try this!

A- Body is a crystal clear orange/red hue. Pours with <1 finger head that eventually fades completely-very faint traces of lacing are left behind in the glass.

S- Nose is pretty faint- blood orange is the dominant factor there is also just a hint of peppercorn and other tropical fruits. Very faint alcohol as well.

T- Taste is much more like a witbier- blood orange, corriander, peppercorn, big wheat backbone. Finish has a moderate alcohol sting-but the initial flavors remain consistent.

M- Medium carbonation and a medium weight body.

D- This is another very interesting, unique brew by shorts brewing co. The alcohol heat really comes through toward the end of this brew. Still enjoyable and unique. (763 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz bottle served in a Bruery tulip.

A - Dark amber-red, large white head which shrinks quickly, great lacing

S - Belgian yeasts, candied sugar, peppercorns, and orange rinds

T - Blood oranges, alcohol --> maraschino cherries, fresh herbs (parsley?), cracked pepper, and a hint of wheat --> sweet caramel malts and some citrus hops --> almost (but not quite) medicinal sweetness mixed with grapefruit bitterness (more fruit than hop) on the end - enjoyably and intriguingly odd.

M - Medium-bodied for such a big beer, although it does get a little syrupy as time passes; decent carbonation

D - A sipper - a tasty, unique, boozy sipper

Definitely worth trying - weird for a wheatwine, but quite enjoyable. I won't seek this out but would be up for another some time. (784 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +6%

12oz bottle, split - served in small tulips

A - pours a very interesting dark orange/red color with just a few spots of tiny bubbles. glass #1 was almost perfectly clear, the 2nd was considerably hazy.

S - bright citrus scents, which i would normally associate with abundant use of C hops is this time brought to the table by blood oranges.

T - following the nose with somewhat tangy, citrusy blood oranges. slowly creeps into the tart and sour region. the only other noticeable

M - mostly light, yet oily body. carbonation is moderate. just slightly drying from the tartness, but finishes clean with a pleasant lingering fruitiness.

D - interesting here, and perhaps the best wheatwine (a style i just cant seem to figure out) i've had to date. excellent use of fruit, and insanely dangerous with nary any noticeable alcohol. (834 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours a bright and slightly hazy orange-red color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of sweet light malts with large amounts of bright and sweet citrus aromas, halfway between orange and grapefruit.

Tastes even more robust than it smells. Sweet and smooth light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by moderately sugary citrus fruits. The citrus dries out near the end of the sip and carries through to an ending reminiscent of the aftertaste of grapefruit juice.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was very impressed with how similar the flavor profile stayed to blood oranges. The sweetness was more robust than normal oranges and the citrus notes came through as much as any beer I've had previously. Very much worth a shot. (995 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

A-Pours a murky amber brown color with a smallish head and almost no lacing left on the glass.
S-Piney hops, grapefruit, orange and caramel.
T-Blood orange zest combines with a sweet/sour mix and piney hops for bitterness. The peppercorns add a spicy addition to the party.
M-Mild to moderate feel and moderately carbonated.
D-Nice beer overall...good job Short's! (364 characters)

Anniversary Ale from Short's Brewing Company