Anniversary Ale - Short's Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

2009 Tap only
2010 Tap and bottle
2013 Tap and bottle

Same recipe every year, according to the brewer, though ABV varies slightly.

"Anniversary Ale~ A high gravity wheat wine made with blood oranges that render an alluring dark purple hue to the color. Flavor abounds from the spice of green peppercorns and tang from blood orange zest. Aggressive dry hop additions amplify the citrus overtones and spiciness found throughout. ‘Anni’ Ale typifies the full magnitude of Short’s Brewing Company by embodying all the complexities and fulfillment necessary to pay tribute to another year of brewing. 10% ABV 63 IBU's"

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 05-08-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
scottfrie

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

12oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter. 2010. Thanks for this one jbck109!

A: Pours a very dark…blood orange…with a finger of off-white head that faded into a thick scum. A soft sheet of lacing was left after every sip.
S: Dominant scents of sweet oranges, tangerines, and I guess blood oranges although it’s been forever since I’ve had one and do not remember what they smell like. To me, the smell reminds me of those canned mandarin oranges you can buy that are bright orange and really squigy. With all the citrus this almost smells like a really hoppy ipa. I wouldn’t quite call it peppercorns, but there is definitely something spicy in there as well.
T: Follows the nose with big juicy notes of sweet blood orange and citrus hops. The finish is full of yeast and faint notes of bubblegum, and the aftertaste is green tasting, lightly spicy, and a bit bitter.
M: Thick bodied, low but bubbly carbonation, and a slick mouthfeel. I do not pick up any of the double-digit alcohol content at all. This goes down far too easily.
O: Exceeded my expectations to the point where I am ISO another bottle. I thoroughly enjoyed the ipa-like qualities this had to offer. Send me another bottle Jay!

10-19-2011 00:39:29 | More by scottfrie
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

2010 release acquired via trade from tburkhart courtesy of the Under 100 #4 BIF so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass. As a pour it and re-read the label I think I probably should have saved this beer for a Halloween Night review for nostalgic effect but it’s still mid-October so close enough.

A: The beer is a murky orange-brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin on the glass.

S: The aroma contains citrus, a good amount of hops, caramelized malts and a touch of spice.

T: The taste starts out with a really odd sweet and tangy flavor. The label reads “Blood Orange Wheat Wine” and the word “blood” is used generously in the description of the beer’s ingredients and shockingly enough a “blood” flavor has been created in this beer and it completely dominates. I can only describe it as acidic and citric. The malt character is hearty and not too heavy. The hops presence is mild and bring a little bit of balance. The after-taste is kind of tangy which is a first after having written over 2500 beer reviews.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Certainly very flavorful but the question is how that flavor appeals to the individual, goes down slowly because of the strange flavor and the high ABV, not too filling, very strong kick, odd representation of style, this is without a doubt the strangest beer I have ever tasted over 6+ years and 2500+ reviews. This is definitely a novelty beer but it has a taste that can grow on you if you have an affinity for that kind “Bloody Mary” flavor.

10-15-2011 05:19:24 | More by TheManiacalOne
slentz

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to ImperialKing for this awesome extra in our recent trade. Served in my Goose Island chalice at 50 degrees.

A: Generous pour down the center of the glass produces a two finger long lasting head that slowly dissipates to a thin ring. No lacing, but nice legs. Great color in the glass...a nice peachy orange color. 4.0

S: This is very aromatic. Smells quite delicious....definitely picking up the oranges along with other fruits...smells very sweet even floral like. Great smelling beer. 4.0

T: Taste is sweet, tart, and lightly carbonated. Oranges, Peaches, nectarines..some apricot. Alcohol is very well hidden....very smooth. I am really enjoying this one. 4.5

M: Mouthfeel is light nicely carbonated this beer drinks really well 4.0

O: Overall I really like this beer a good break from the IPA's, DIPA's and Stouts I have been enjoying lately. This one is definitely a sipper and really hitting the spot. 4.0

09-22-2011 01:33:30 | More by slentz
UCLABrewN84

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to Exiled for sending me this one!

Pours a hazy dark orange with a 1 inch orange-white head that settles to a film on the top of the beer. Small streaks and dots of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, blood oranges, citrus zest, and some pepper notes. Taste is of blood oranges, blood orange juice, citrus zest, and a spicy kick from the peppercorns. The aftertaste is a bit acidic and definitely citrus zest bitterness lingers on the palate. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and bubbly mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good and interesting beer with the blood orange and peppercorn combination.

09-17-2011 23:16:58 | More by UCLABrewN84
AleWatcher

2.15/5  rDev -45.4%

Beautiful deep plum color, purpley and dark with a small off-white head that vanished quickly, leaving whispers of thin micro-bubbles and a tiny ring around the collar. Thin legs. Virtually no lace remains longer than 3 seconds.

Smells sugary... Really really sweet. The sugarysweet notes rind me of a barleywine with some decent age on it-- at least 5 or 6 years. The spicy and boozy notes are pretty huge too. Fresh ground peppercorns, earthy spicy hops, and grains of paradise/coriander/orange zest to boot.
The flavor is just like the nose, but the dry boozy finish is a bit too much.
The body is slick and oily with a lot of residual sugar-- the sugar coats my teeth. A very strange note comes up on the finish, kinda earthy and vegetal with a pronounced bitterness blending into citrus fruit. It is rather unpleasant for my money.
Overall, this is not a top choice for wheatwines, but I do understand the desire to make an anniversary beer different and exciting-- I just think this is not a very enjoyable beer, wheatwine or not.

09-11-2011 22:51:13 | More by AleWatcher
weizenbob

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

2011 vintage. 12 ounce bottle poured into a large wine goblet. An aggressive pour yields half a finger of peach-tinted head. Retention is moderate, though better than expected for such a high-gravity brew. A ring of lacing holds to the top of the glass and glides down as the beer disappears. The beer is mahogany colored with precious little translucence. I'm assuming the color is a result of the blood oranges, and it is a pretty sight.

Oranges manifest themselves way up front on the nose. It's a sweet, citrusy, alcoholic blending that works really well. Spicy hops snap nicely and only serve to compliment the fruity aroma herein. It is unlike any beer, wheatwine or otherwise, that I've put my nostrils to; but it's such a natural combination that I'm amazed nobody has thought to brew this before now.

The flavor follows suit. Sweet tangerine-like flavor is first to impact the tongue. This is accompanied by a nice dose of piney hops (hop varieties were wonderfully matched to this brew). The citrus and hops lay a wonderfully spicy groundwork that is formidably matched by the heft of the malt profile. It is malty to the point of being syrupy. As the beer slides to the back of the mouth, a nice literal kick of peppercorn is noted. It's enough that you know there's some pepper in there, but not so much that it detracts from the rest of what is going on. The primary flavors are intense to the point that you don't notice the alcohol unless you're really looking for it. For being so overblown, it has great balance.

It's tough not to have a nice mouthfeel with a beer this big, and Anniversary Ale does not disappoint. It's thick; it has a lot of alcohol which makes it velvety. The carbonation level is absolutely perfect. The citrusy nature of the brew actually makes it refreshing, easily the most refreshing and easy drinking brew in its weight class. It's supposed to be a sipper, but I'm failing to pause for very long between sips.

For the most part, Short's unorthodox concoctions are hit or miss affairs. This one is a big hit. In fact, it may be my new favorite in their seasonal lineup. It looks interesting, smells, tastes and feels great. And it's refreshing to boot. It's the most drinkable 10% beer I've ever sampled. Hats off to you, Short's.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
I give two Schlitz about Short's Anniversary Ale. Here's to another great year of brewing.

08-27-2011 17:20:11 | More by weizenbob
thagr81us

South Carolina

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%

Big thanks goes out to beeruser for sharing this one. 2010 Vintage! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a deep red-orange with a minimal white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, orange, sugar, and alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, orange, sugar, and syrup. It had a heavy feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall I was not really a big fan of this one. I'm starting to wonder if wheat wines are just not for me or something... The idea is nice, but usually the execution is off for my palate. The sweetness from the sugar on this one really killed it for me unfortunately. Worth trying for a fan of the style, but if you have never had one before I suggest starting elsewhere.

08-26-2011 16:30:44 | More by thagr81us
Tripphop

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Deep orange color in the glass, very sexy color. Head is absent, managed to force a few bubbles with a heavy pour, but they run and hide. The carbonation is present in the mouth, however. Aromas of sweet candied oranges, smells sticky. Flavor has god intensity, orange is nicely squeezed in the midpalate with a wheaty finish. A good bit of heat fro mthe booze, matches up nicely with the mellow, rich body to this beer. Very solid brew, my favorite of the Short's I've tried.

08-12-2011 19:43:14 | More by Tripphop
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 12 oz bottle.

A - Pours a slightly clear deep ruby red-orange with a very thin head. It basically disappears as soon as you pour. A quick swirl leads to a thin film of off white head.

S - Deep blood orange aromas. Some ruby red grapefruit and some nice slight fruit juice sweetness. There is some slight raspberry and some nice carmel notes on the back end.

T & M - Starts off with a nice orange sweetness and slight tartness. It is quite an interesting flavor. Tart like orange juice with a slight grain backbone. It is very acidic but not too tart. There is a slight coriander note to it as well. Mouthfeel is nice and clean with a medium body and some slight warm carbonation. There is a nice spice character to this beer quite peppery. There is also a nice hopy character to the beer that adds a bit more citrus notes to it.

O - The beer is interesting to say the least. It has some good flavors and is pretty well crafted.

08-03-2011 23:07:40 | More by JoEBoBpr
Thickfreakness

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

A- Deep dark Blood Orange color, A touch of a head that fades immediately and leaves very little lacing. No real carbonation to speak of.

S- Fresh orange juice, really nice blend of sweet malts and bright hop punch. Lots of sour cherries, tabacco smoke, and I detect a hint of somekind of barnyard sourness. The yeastiness still smells really alive in this one. Really unique! I've never smelled anything quite like this.

T- WOW!!! Sour oranges, sour cherries, cigar smoke, hints of piney hops and sweet caramel malts. The peppercorns really come thru giving just a wierd hint of heat on the tongue. This is absolutely unusual.

M- Just a little hint of heat from the peppercorns, sour and bitter with a sweetness that follows before the heat sits on the tongue. It leaves a touch of horse poop in the mouth that i'm not real fond of. I'm not much of a fan of beer with sourness to it, but this is ok and worth a try.

O- This was really cool and unusual to try. Certainly not something I'd wanna drink everyday, but I'm really glad I got to try this. Thank you northernbrews!

07-31-2011 21:39:35 | More by Thickfreakness
aerozeppl

4.53/5  rDev +15%

Big up to Mike.

A:Very deep yet vibrant amber color with some red tons. Really crazy looking beer. A thin covering of white head that stuck around for a while. I am stopping short of purple even though I love Prince.

S: The nose is insane.The citrus is off the charts. Oranges. Tons of them. I get a touch of the peppercorns and it gives it a touch of green which balances this beer out nicely. This beer is bananas.

T: Starts off with some citrus big surprise. Then a fairly assertive sweetness. There is still some hops left in this bottle. The heat is barely there and only in the finish. I like that in this style though.

M: Little bit thick. Soft carbonation.

D: I love a shorts beer and this is mos definitely that. Totally out there. I love this beer. Totally different take on the style.

07-29-2011 00:45:06 | More by aerozeppl
FosterJM

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

688th Review on BA
Bottle to OSWG
12oz

2010

Thanks to kzoobrew for this one

App- A very dark golden amber orange with a one finger puffy, clingy, very foamy head

Smell- A bit of orange, some spice, some zest, a bit damp and some wheat all rolled into one. Quite nice on the nose.

Taste- I really hate to rate it so low but I couldnt even get through a 12oz bottle. The uniqueness of this beer is evident on 1st sip. Orange, pepper is all I get. I cant place a balance but just too much for me.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbonated. The blood orange remains with a little fruit juice feel.

Drink- I really wanted this to blow me away and I was just wrong direction. I didnt like the taste at all. I am sure this is for some people but just not me.

07-27-2011 04:51:08 | More by FosterJM
AlCaponeJunior

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

A very pretty deep orange color with hues of purple, lightly cloudy, not too much head or lacing despite a rough pour, but still nice to look at from the gorgeous color.

Smells of oranges for sure, also quite spicy, herbal hops, and wheat are all present for a nice smelling brew.

Taste is boldly orange and hoppy, very spicy, yet still typically wheatwine. Rather enjoyable!

Body is pretty full with low carbonation and a lightly citrusy aftertaste.

Overall it's a very interesting brew that I'd like to re-try ever now and again just because it's so interesting. Tasty too!

07-22-2011 23:44:32 | More by AlCaponeJunior
ssimpson89

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Orange hued amber, little head that went away quickly. Looks very rich.

Smells really good with a very distinctive orange aroma. Smells kinda like Sunny D breakfast drink, but it a very good way.

Sweet, yet sour orange, maybe some orange zest as I get the bitterness like I'm biting into orange peel. Has a medicinal quality. Very, enjoyable, unique flavor.

Smooth up front, very silky, with a crisp dry finish.

This is my first Wheatwine, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but glad I tried it. This is a good example of a seasonal beer as I can't imagine drinking a lot of it, but will look for it again when I'm back in Michigan next year.

07-18-2011 01:16:09 | More by ssimpson89
mdaschaf

Washington

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Review from notes. Thanks to Marc for sending this one my way.

A: Poured an impressive copper/orange/red color with a one finger off-white head. Moderate retention and lacing.

S: A heavy dose of blood oranges, very inviting, especially for a wheatwine. Some orange zest and a bit of spice as well.

T: More orange and orange zest, a bit of wheat, and spices. There is a slight sweetness from some caramel/toffee malt.

M: Medium to full bodied, but not really thick - just a bit heavy and filling. Nice level of carbonation, slightly dry finish.

O: One of the best wheatwines I have had so far. The blood oranges gave it a nice flavor and made it much more drinkable probably. Does not seem like a 10% beer whatsoever.

07-14-2011 18:55:17 | More by mdaschaf
JonathanG

Colorado

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a tulip. Brought back to CO from a trip to MI right at 2-months ago now.

A: Red-tinged amber, fairly clear, off-white head.

S: Can't miss the oranges here! Smells like orange marmalade with a little apricot preserves in the background. A bit of spice and citrus from the peppercorns and hops as well. Wheat is there, amongst the sweet aromas. As it warms up, a bit of herb/green peppercorn emerges as well.

T: Wow, this is really mostly all about the orange marmalade! A little spice and a hint of bitter herb on the finish as well. As it warms, the herbaceous/hoppy notes becomes more pronounced. I decanted this, leaving most of the sediment in the bottle. I was curious though and tasted the tailings and that most have been where all the bitter herb was hiding! Tasted something vaguely akin to the finish of Campari... that bitter herb note you get after the sweetness subsides. You certainly don't taste the 10% ABV.

M: Although you don't taste the 10% ABV, I think you feel it a bit in the mouth, as this is only medium-bodied, but it's a weighty and a little thick on the mid-palate for something that doesn't finish heavier. I think this is where the alcohol is the most notable. Fairly mellow upfront, and a bit sweet, with little carbonation in the mouth.

O: I have 1-additional bottle of this that I brought back with me and I am curious to see how this evolves in the bottle. I should've really popped this 2-months ago when I first got home to get a better idea of it while fresh, compared to the bottle I'm cellaring. Certainly interesting for the style, I think I'm just not personally a huge fan of this type of beer, but was curious to try it. I honestly had no preconceived notions of what to expect here.

07-14-2011 01:33:05 | More by JonathanG
THECPJ

Delaware

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: copper orange red with a 1 finger head

smell: blood orange, wheat,

taste: blood orange, bitter,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: doesn't drink like a 10% beer but it was really nice. I've tried brewing with blood oranges before and I did not have these results. so big props go out to Shorts. Keep brewing the funky stuff.

Cheers,
The CPJ

07-11-2011 14:30:37 | More by THECPJ
AgentZero

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

Thanks to thetomG for sharing this with Alex and I.

A - Reddish-amber colored beer that yellowed a little on the edges. Off-white head that left a little bit of lace on the sides.

S - Well, smell those oranges. Honestly, this smells like a whitewine with oranges in it. I don't care much for wheatwines, but I find the added citrus an improvement.

T - A lot of orange citrus and orange zest. It is a wheatwine, but I actually find the orange notes to cut through the usual sickly wheatwine sweetness. Slight bit of pine.

M - Moderate carbonation, medium bodied.

O - Not a bad beer, and a lot better than I was expecting. Alcohol is fairly well hidden, and I got this down pretty easily.

07-07-2011 15:19:07 | More by AgentZero
Stinkypuss

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%

Shorts Anniversary Ale : Blood Orange Wheat Wine

Appearance: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a brandy snifter. A stunning rosy amber in color with an off white crackling bubbly head that retains quite well, leaving some lacework.

Smell: Vibrant orange zest quite fragrant, sweet wheat wine aroma typical of the style, yet laced with orange.

Taste: An intense and interesting blend of flavors. Not as sweet as the nose will indicate, a strong wheat malt presence, with an intensely bitter blood orange/bitter grapefruit peel like flavor. In the midst of this fruity flavor is a bitter grapefruit like hop, perfect for this brew inparticular. The citrus aspect, and the bitter hops, do a great job in balancing the sweetness of the standard wheat wine. Mild orangey citrus lingers on the palate. Long into the aftertaste is the peppercorn finish, a bit spicy and long lasting. As the beer warms, the peppery aftertaste becomes desirable. A treat to the senses. 10% abv is hidden. Well done!

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, alittle syrupy/chewey malt. Carbonation moderate to low. To be expected with a brew of this magnitude.

Overall: A fantastic achievement in the art and practice of brewing. Wheat wine can be great or not so, and this one was the best of the style I've had to date. Captures the flavor of the blood orange, and the essence of a wheat wine in perfect harmony.

07-05-2011 06:06:10 | More by Stinkypuss
aasher

Indiana

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

This beer pours a bright reddish copper in color with a light off white lacing. It hits blood orange in color on the head. It smells or orange peels with light sweet caramel malts. It's pretty appealing on the nose. It tastes of grated orange peels that've assaulted your palate with an aerial assault. It's very spicy and doesn't present any alcohol at all. It maskes the generic overly sweet malt of the style and is overly fruity. It drinks well and is pretty light in body. It features a lot of malt but doesn't drink in an overly sticky manner. The alcohol isn't present whatsoever. Overall this is one of the better wheatwines I've had. The fruit did this one some favors. I'd recommend it.

07-03-2011 02:31:06 | More by aasher
Florida9

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Reddish amber in color. Forms a patchy surface coating. No lacing.

S: Lots of pithy orange. Orange zest. Then a bit of an odd scent, earthy and organic, that fades to a light hint of alcohol.

T: Orange and orange zest. Pithy citrus bitterness. Some light pepper action on the finish.

M: Medium heavy with lower carbonation level, though I imagine that is to be expected.

O: A decent beer. A bit odd at times, but the flavor combination seems to work quite well, much more so than in Short's other beers. Slight bitter and slightly sweet.

07-02-2011 11:22:42 | More by Florida9
Preismj

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

a: orange and cloudy. Looks beautiful with a rich white head and nice carbonation.

s: good aroma of orange and orange zest. Creamy and sweet smells with a beautiful bread aroma leaking off the rim of the glass.

t: nice and zesty orange flavor. Creamy indeed with an incredible wheat flavor and a wine sweetness. tasting peppery flavor as well in this and a nice malt backbone here, but the orange zest takes center stage and shines.

m: rich and creamy, coats well and leaves the palette wet. nice bitter finish on this, but not too bitter at all.

o: this is a great wheat wine and the orange zest is an incredible flavor in this. Blends well in the style and I'll be trying to get a few more of these.

06-29-2011 03:31:30 | More by Preismj
J0E

A: Poured into a snifter, it is a bright orange/copper with not much of a head at all. A little bit of bright white lacing.

S: So much orange! Very sweet smelling, and a little maltiness. Not much hops in the nose, just the orange which is a little overpowering at first.

T: Sweet blood orange, then orange rind bitterness, and a slight bit of piney hops bitterness at the end. Not much of the alcohol at all. Very well hidden.

M: Pretty soft, but more carbonation than i was expecting from the pour.

O: This is a very unique beer. The blood orange flavors are right up front and not subtle at all. But it's still very tasty. I only bought 1 bottle, but I'd probably have another - curious what a year or 2 would do for it.

06-28-2011 12:57:25 | More by J0E
khumbard

Indiana

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks to phishisphunk for this cool extra. Bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

Pours a very cool deep orange/red with a white fluffy head. Pretty awesome looking beer, you can definitely tell they took full advantage of the blood oranges.

Aroma is interesting. Definitely sweet, tangy oranges. Lots of fruitiness from the heavy wheat malt. Not really any hops to speak of, but still pretty nice

Taste is definitely sweet, but it has a bitter and tangy orange rind flavor. Not bad, but it takes a bit to get used to. Finishes sweet, with a little bit of booze.

Mouthfeel is alright. A little bit too sticky sweet for me, but the carbonation is right on.

Overall this is a very interesting brew, which I'm glad to have had. A little bit too sweet for me, but I appreciate the effort from Short's. Not too many beers out there made with oranges that work very well, but this one is on the right track.

06-28-2011 00:16:36 | More by khumbard
homebrew311

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tasted two bottlings of this at a recent tasting, the most recent one is the one this review reflects. Thanks to the Central PA crew for sending this in the Gang Bang BIF.

A: pours a deep clear red, nice color, the blood orange certainly provides deep hues I am not accustomed to in beer.

S: the nose starts incredibly citrusy with straight grapefruit rind, a peppercorn character comes through in the middle, getting a lot of zest

T: tastes starts out slightly acidic and becomes very fruity with hints of molasses. Blood orange is present but comes off very grapefruit like.

MF: low carbonation, medium body

O: This brew is interesting and like all Short's beers its incredibly unique. The resulting product is drinkable and worth a try.

06-26-2011 21:41:41 | More by homebrew311