Anniversary Ale - Short's Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

2009 Tap only
2010 Tap and bottle
2013 Tap and bottle

Same recipe every year, according to the brewer, though ABV varies slightly.

"Anniversary Ale~ A high gravity wheat wine made with blood oranges that render an alluring dark purple hue to the color. Flavor abounds from the spice of green peppercorns and tang from blood orange zest. Aggressive dry hop additions amplify the citrus overtones and spiciness found throughout. ‘Anni’ Ale typifies the full magnitude of Short’s Brewing Company by embodying all the complexities and fulfillment necessary to pay tribute to another year of brewing. 10% ABV 63 IBU's"

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 05-08-2009)
4.28/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle and served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy orange/brown body. Small khaki colored head. Lacing and head retention are poor, but that happens with high abv's.

Smell: Blood orange and a plant aroma that I haven't experienced before in a beer. Must be the green peppercorns.

Taste: Big juicy blood orange flavor. The green peppercorn are slightly offputting for me but it is still rather tasty.

BierFan, Aug 16, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Holy hell what do we have here. I have been dying to crack this one open and once I did I had no idea what I was in store for. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/13/2010.

The pour was a very clear dark amber color with lots of orange highlights to it. Small head of white tops it off nicely with a light bit of lacing that eventually falls by the wayside.

Aroma is well oranges. They dominate everything about this beer and I absolutely loved it. Rich and sweet oranges are all over the place, it was like drinking juice in the morning, so sweet and fresh. I could see how some would see this as over done, but I really did think it was fantastically put together. A touch of light pepper in the finish, but mostly just the sweetest, juicest orange you have ever come across. Really quite well done I have to say.

Overall this is gonna be a love it or hate it beer, an I loved it, really worked very well for me on nearly every level.

mikesgroove, Aug 14, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured into a snifter. Big thanks to northernbrews for this one.

3.5 A: Clear deep amber color. Half a finger of frothy cream colored head that recedes quickly and leaves one small patch of lacing.

4.0 S: No lack of citrus in this one. Lots of orange going on here along with the orange & cream lifesavers. Also some strawberry, neutral wheat, sugary candy canes, and a mild spiciness. Interesting, it really does smell like those creamsaver things.

3.5 T: Again, the orange creamsavers. This is okay, but I think it's too orange heavy. I'd like a stronger toffee maltiness. Some grapefruit in there as well. While I'm on the topic, this has a reasonable bitterness and a stronger hop presence that I was expecting. Slightly tart and sweet in a candy way as opposed to a malty way. Alcohol is very well hidden.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. The body is simply too damn light for a barleywine. I don't like ultra thick and sweet Bwines, but I don't like the other end of the spectrum either. Carbonation is a bit low as well. Otherwise very smooth with the smallest warming sensation on finish.

3.5 D: I like Short's for their innovative brews. While they had a good idea here, it fell short due to the lack of maltiness (which is something I rarely suggest when considering barleywines). Still, it was worth the experience.

DavoleBomb, Aug 12, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

This is @&$/(ing fantastic. It's a dry wheat ale (wheat wine) 11% abv with a sweet blood orange flavor up front and blood orange bitterness in the middle from zest. It finishes with a dry peppery spike to the tongue from green peppercorns. The hops are centennial and just on the nose. Quality brew

cochell, Aug 09, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks glazeman for this strange brew!

A - Clear, dark pink/red, with a thin film head that quickly fades to a few bubbles that line the rim of my snifter. Interesting looking beer. After having many fruit beers from New Glarus, Short's, etc., this is really the only beer I've ever had that I can definitively say is red.

S - Mild, but complex. A blend of hops and soft cherries up front, with some citrus fruits in the middle, followed by a slight burn of EtOH.

T - What a strange beer. Wow. Probably the most bizarre drink I have ever tasted. Where to begin? Ok, here goes... Merlot, sweet cherries, oranges, hops and some type of earthy seasoning up front. The middle brings out some sours that resemble lemons, and the finish, odd as it may sound, are dry, bitter piney, hops. The aftertaste is nuttiness with a citrus sourness that lingers in the back of your throat. What a treat! Incredible.

M - Carbonation is nice, but the thinness of this beer leaves a bit to be desired. For being SO full of flavor and such high ABV, I would have liked just a tad bit more substance to chew on.

D - In the taste, this one is pretty drinkable. I could probably have at least two. But WOW, the EtOH does hit you. It's really easy to feel every bit of that 11.70%... So overall, the drinkability is limited by it's booziness, but the taste of this beer really keeps me begging for more.

This, fellow BAs, is a diamond in the rough. If you see this beer, buy it, chill it, let it sit for 20 minutes or so after pouring, and enjoy - you'll never try another beer like this again.

airohead2001, Aug 06, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +1%

Reviewed from notes on 7/20/10.

A: The color of this beer has a ruby and garnet hue, like a "sailor's warning" sunrise over North Lake Leelanau. This is truly a beautiful beer. An off white 1/2 finger head fades to leave an attractive haziness on top. Dotty lacing meanders slowly down the sides of the glass.

S: BAM! BLOOD ORANGES! Really, that is the dominant aroma. Deeper inhales reveal the green peppercorn spice complement. I smell some wheatwine characteristics, but they are pretty much overpowered by the citrus and spice. This is a unique and pleasant smell.

T: Much more complex than the smell. The blood orange taste is evident throughout the sip and speaks primarily to the broad top of my tongue. The green peppercorn spice is also omnipresent and bites at the sides and tip of my tongue. The backside of each sip is where this beer really gets wild and crazy. At roughly the same time, the alcoholic heat, full, creamy malts, and bitter hops play like a trumpet fanfare on my palate. It is amazing to me how lasting an impression the bittering hops leave on my tongue, because for most of the sip, this is a sweet and spicy beer.

M: With the sweet citrus, spicy peppercorn, hefty malts, bitter finish, and the high alcohol content, there is a lot substance to this MF. It is perhaps medium bodied, but the component parts really titillate my palate.

D: This is a really large and interesting beer which I have had a couple of times now. But, with its aggressive spiciness, high a.b.v., and dry finish, I don't think this would be a 'drink often' beer for me.

TCHopCraver, Aug 02, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

Notes from 6/29/10

The color is a burgundy, brownish, orangish, reddish...something like that. Quite unique. No head to speak of nor lacing. The color is the redeeming quality here.

Lots of orange zest in the scent with some spice. There is a slight brown sugary malt scent as well with alcohol esters burning my nostrils.

There is a lot of unique flavors here, props for that. The flavor is a bit sour up front which clashes with a pineapple hop. Spice comes through as well and finishes with a twinge of soapy-ness. The aftertaste is a bit funky, bitter sourness and dirt.

Medium bodied with a clean slightly dry finish and fuzzy carbonation.

One is plenty, the aftertaste doesn't keep my interest for more. I like that this is original but the flavor doesn't quite do it for me.

TCgoalie, Aug 02, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Force poured into my stemmed Ayinger tulip-style chalice to showcase a almost clear ruby/copper color with a dense & creamy 1" settled light beige head. Very fine visible uprising carbonation at a moderate rate. Broad & wide rings of lace with tiny pin pricks through them all the way down.

I could smell the blood oranges quite well immediately after I poured the glass and set it on the table a few feet from my head. The bountiful blood orange scent permeated the airspace around me and it was beautiful. I raise the glass under my nose and I'm greeted with a lush, deep tropical fruit barrage. Macerated plums, raisins, blood oranges (of course) pineapple, apricots - all bathed in a boozy brandy. A handful of hop zippiness peeks through this rain forest of drunk fruit at the end.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! This baby goes from uber sweet nose to an initial sour (almost mouth-puckering tart) greeting with a green peppercorn zap right out of the gate. As my palate tries to recalibrate itself, I can't help but be soothed my this sweet and full flavored mixed & mangled whacky treat. Now, back to reality...The wheat malt is apparent and the loads of blood oranges are top billing. The green peppercorns make for an interesting substitution for the traditional clove spiciness found in most wheat wines. The hops really amp up the peppercorn spiciness to where it's almost impossible to discern where the dry & zesty flavors are coming from.

Mouthfeel is just a little lighter than full bodied, but is very slick & sturdy. The long, warm flavorful finish ends with just a little alcohol burn.

Drinkibility is limited due to the 'sip slow' factor inherent in this fine and unusual ale.

Overall Short's has fried my circuits once again, (in a good way). Very sweet and somewhat sour with lots of warm spices worming themselves through this hearty, jovial beast. As it warms, the clove finally spouts out. The green peppercorns can be a little heavy handed, but don't really rock the boat...or I should say 'battleship'. This is one big & burly ale with a big smile on it's shiny face. At least my face is grinning with a slight shine to it, now that my glass is empty.

malty, Aug 01, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +17.5%

I feel like a short preface is in order for this one: As a child, I lived in Italy for a spell, where blood oranges were very popular, and my bother used to buy blood orange juice for us. I mixed in a packet of sugar each morning at breakfast and loved the blood orange juice. Needless to say, I'm very excited to try this beer. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: A vigorous pour yields only a 1/2 finger white head in this dark amber colored beer. While there is not much head, a crown lingers for the duration of the drink and creates some nice lacing. There is also a nice swirl of bubbles in the middle throughout.

S: Probably the weakest part of this beer. There's a lot of sweet malts, mostly consisting of oranges, as one would expect, and a little bit of pepper in there as well.

T: Wow, the blood oranges really come through well in this beer and work far better than I would have imagined. They are integrated seamlessly and give this beer a wonderful taste. There's some orange sweetness up front, nice acidity in the middle, and some smokiness at the finish from the peppercorns. This is one of the most interesting and complex beers I have had in a long time.

M: This was a very smooth drink. A little low on the carbonation, but that works perfectly in this beer. It feels to me almost like drinking a nice cabernet, but with a little carbonation and a wonderful aftertaste.

D: My expectations were far exceeded by this beer. Really is an absolute must try in my opinion. The 11.7% ABV is completely hidden, the flavor is wonderful, it's smooth, dangerously drinkable. I saw this on the shelf during a recent trip to Michigan, and debated whether or not to buy it, but am so glad I did.

glazeman, Jul 31, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into Bruery snifter.

Pours 1 finger of light beige head. Fades to a ring. Leaves some very nice lace. Color is a dark copper with a ruby hue to it.

Aroma: Big citrus. Orange, grapefruit, lemon. Light wheat. Floral hops. Smelling more like a dipa, but I like it.

Taste: Big grapefruit citrus taste with some orange peel and lemon zest. Has some wheat and a big floral hop profile. This is boarderline IIPA. Very well done. Not too much malt showing here. Has some spice flavor to it.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, smooth, and a bit creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a bite of grapefruit, a slight amount of stickiness.

Overall, this wheatwine drinks like an IIPA. Very fresh hops and citrus profile. It is very good and drinks easily. I will have more of this one.

mothman, Jul 29, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

12oz bottle from hoppymeal.

Pours a shockingly clear reddish amber with a small wispy head that recedes to a tiny collar and leaves no lacing, just some sticky legs along the side.

The aroma is fascinating and certainly has a dominant orange presence. Very thick and rindy orange aroma with sweet wheat and hints of spices and pepper. Still, it's a massively sweet citrusy nose with the blood oranges bringing a completely new twist.

The taste is seriously sweet as well but the tartness of the blood oranges and thick wheat presence seem to balance out the sweet citrus. The finish is bitter and burns with alcohol.

Mouthfeel is sticky sweet and thick on the palate with low soft carbonation.

I'm extremely pleased with this one and I really enjoyed what the blood oranges bring to the table. Big, complex brew. Not extremely drinkable but quite a sipper.

gford217, Jul 28, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz. bottle, no freshness date

A - Pours the color of a blood orange, with a thin film of white head and just a few spots of lace.

S - Blood oranges dominate, with tones of wheat and bit of other tropical fruits in the background. Overall, fruity.

T - The blood orange flavor comes through from start to finish (moderately sweet up front, then sour on the swallow). A bit of wheat, and just a touch of alcohol bite. Very faint peppercorn character.

M - Medium-boded, with low carbonation akin to a very young white wine.

D - With its sour, slightly alcoholic profile, it drinks a lot like a wine. Definitely a sipper, but a good one.

association330, Jul 26, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Thanks to witbier for bringing this back from Bellaire for me. Zeke, you are the best.

A: The ale, my second of the day (the first was shared with ksak and janlud), has a reddish tint to it, a blood orange color if you ask my opinion. A radiant glow reveals translucent hues that match the reds. A finger plus of head laces as it recedes.

S: Damn! What a nose! The blood oranges, the peppercorns, the wheat strength. The whole package, with a minty afterglow, is incredible to sniff. The citric bite is intense, the blood orange a unique addition.

T: The ale is complex, with the intense wheat battling the citrusy blood oranges for the spotlight. The wheat, well beyond pleasantly tart, is biting and full, easily on par with the strength of a barleywine. The blood oranges are citrusy sweet, dripping with flavor. Peppercorns add a dose of zest that works well with the wheat. Oh, but I have to come back to the juicy blood orange flavors, rich and sweet, an incredible addition to the ale.

M: Smooth and sweet, the ale is big, VERY BIG. The citrus and wheat fight at times but generally get along. The result is a full, rich taste that may be too much for many. Me? I liked it a year ago and I like it now.

D: At nearly 12%, this wheatwine is best enjoyed in short doses. I love the flavor, the citrus and blood orange. A worthy anniversary ale.

akorsak, Jul 24, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

Drinking an anniversary beer on my anniversary.

Bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A- 1/2 finger, off-white head quickly drops to a light, spotty lace. The body takes on many hues from ruby, to brownish, to nearly pink at the edges. Good sticky spots are left as I drink. The body's slightly hazed with light carbonation.

S- Initial fruity punch. Something of an apricot/peach mix with citrus. I'm gonna' have to guess that's the blood orange coming through. It comes across as a fine fruited spirit or liqueur. I don't pick up a ton of other aromas, but what's there is so unique and welcoming.

T- Oh, man!!! The blood orange is just a player on a team of flavor. Warm, fruity alcohol is like a nicely flavored brandy, perhaps. Wheaty aspects mix with a slight, pleasantly musty features. It has a spicy, peppery bite that combines with an almost pithy, citrus bitterness. A mix of sour/bitter citrus and pepper dry the finish allowing some of the sweetness to linger just a bit.

M- Alcohol bite borders on burn, staying just on the right side. Light carbonation helps smooth the full bodied, viscus brew.

D- It's a definite sipper. So complex and "fun" that I'm disappointed that I likely won't have a chance to try it again as it's a "one off brew." I'm pretty sure I got the last bottle at my local shop. The abv is the only thing holding me back from wanting to lock myself in my room with a sixpack. I have to give a shout out to one of my brewsday buddies for giving me a sample of this fine brew. I was pretty geeked to find my own bottle last week.

GRPunk, Jul 13, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

A huge thanks to erikkoppin for this great extra. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a ruddy color into my RR tulip. At first I see no head even with a relatively vigorous pour, however, thankfully small bubbles begin to filter up giving less than a finger of quickly dissipating head that leaves minimal lacing.

Smell - An utter amazing nose. Ripe, juicy citrus notes permeate the air (mostly orange), along with plenty of zest and peppery spices. Honestly, this has to be one of the better, if not the best smelling beers I've encountered. I would almost be content just sitting here, smelling this beer all night.

Taste - Wow, the orange is heavily present right off the bat...so much so I have never tasted such fruit in a beer of this nature. After the initial citrus blast there is a kick of peppery spices. These flavors meld together and complement each other surprisingly and appropriately well. The first couple sips I didn't taste any alcohol presence, which is quite an accomplishment for such a high abv beer. After a few mores sips I still do not taste it in the sip, but I can feel the gradual warming of my throat. Holy cow - this beer is fantastic.

Mouthfeel - Quite thick, low carbonation, dry finish not unlike some wines, and as stated, a nice warming sensation from the alcohol.

Drinkability - A sipper for sure. What an interesting beer; granted what was I expecting from Short's? I am very thankful I was able to try this style and beer in general. Haven't had many beers really surprise me lately so needless to say I am happy this beer blew me away. The way the sweet orange and peppery spices mix, the dryness, tartness, alcohol warmth...everything just makes this beer complete. Well done Short's.

SpdKilz, Jul 08, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

Received this as an extra in a super trade with Kbeals... shared with the boys... Huge thanks Kevin!!

Big eggshell head ... fluffy.. dies pretty quick leaving behind little lacing... The brew is deep orange.

Citrus and mild spice dominate the nose.. little in the way of malts in the bruising citrus assault.

Flavor is pithy and still plenty citrusy, yet less than the aroma... peppercorns add a unique spiciness.. pale malts are there only in subtle sweetness.. thicker body and a lighter than expected carbonation.

Sam, Eric and I were debating the ABV... because we could not pick it out at all.

Very cool Kevin... Soooo stoked I had the opportunity to try this one pretty fresh.

4/4.5/4.5/4/4.5

JohnGalt1, Jul 01, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a nice orange head. Color is a reddish amber.

Smell is very floral, with a nice, sour hoppy characteristic to it.

First sip is very hoppy, but at the same time quite circus-filled as well, almost like a grapefruit.

One of the big selling points of this beer comes from the blood oranges that they add to it, and I can say it really gives life to the flavor.

A very delicious beer and an excellent way to celebrate their sixth year of production. Very good job, Shorts!

techfed87, Jun 29, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +12.9%

12oz to chimay goblet

pours a delicious cherry wood, deep reddish amber, off white head fades quick but lacing hangs on forever

smells of amazing, this is truly the best smelling beer i think i've ever smelt. zesty citrus, simcoes?, if not fermented blood oranges and simcoes smell like they would go hand in hand, slight solvent alcohol on the back (when warm), amazing.

taste is of citrus pith off the bat, hop bitterness is light and in the background but the blood oranges hide it well, heavy on the zest. Very sweet malt and maybe blood orange juice are balanced in the finish by pith and dry hopping, spicy peppercorns in the middle - just enough to say hello. Alcohol hides very well, when warm you can smell/taste it but don't care because there's so much going on (in a good way). oh man.

mouthfeel is creamy with head, as it fades it becomes an adventure, lingering zest and hop oils, sweet, hot (without a burn), wow.

overall the abv puts it out of sessionablity, but who cares - this beer is fantastic, my favorite from shorts and prob. one of my favorites of all time, a ton going on at once but still in harmony which is a rare treat, wish i would have gotten a full 6pack instead of 2 singles

i want to try it aged but don't think i would have the discipline to do so.. yum

drxandy, Jun 24, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

I tackled this anniversary wheat wine with a snifter. It poured a minimum head that dissipated rather quickly. The color had lovely hues of dark red on an amber background that captured the light when held up in a way that made the whole thing quite brilliant. I was literally captivated by the appearance of this beer.

The initial scent for me was sweet, with alcohol present. Orange was prominent for me, not surprisingly, along with bits of peppery spice. As it warmed a little, I also get some buttery notes, diacetyl like, that reminded me of a Chardonnay. It's entirely possible my mind was playing tricks on me, because there is a lot going on in this aroma, but for a good 5 minutes I swore I smelling a good glass of wine, not beer.

The flavor was smooth and insanely fruity, bursting with blood red orange, starting sweet and finishing tart. Some light spice follows you throughout this beer, mingling with acidity from the fruit, almost teasing you throughout your journey. There is a nice acidic finish and a buttery caramel flavor that lingers. It has a medium full body and light carbonation. Highly drinkable as a good night cap.

GregoryVII, Jun 24, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Color is a clear, dark red color that fades to orange right at the edges. Pours with a thin white head with a noticable fizziness. Fades almost immediately to a flat appearance.

S: Smell is very fruity, sweet. Strawberry, cranberry. Orange is there, but very faint. Some faint spiciness from the pepper is present as well. Not picking up any malts or hops in the smell.

T: The orange definitely shows up on the taste. And the pepper too. Interesting. Unlike any beer or wheatwine I've had before. Taste is hard to characterize, but surprisingly good. Obviously the orange, but other citrus flavors as well. No strong malt presence. Some faint bitterness. Finish has a pleasant orange flavor with some tangy notes from the pepper. Some faint warmth on the finish, but minimal.

M: Medium body that just lightly coats the tongue. Carbonation is moderate and makes for a lively drinking experience.

D: Interesting, but quite nice. Just a touch too much pepper on the finish, but overall, easy to drink. Not sure if I'll hunt this out again, but glad I got to try this.

oregonskibum, Jun 23, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +15%

Sampled on 6-22-10

Pours a clear but very deep red color, with a filmy white head that settles to a thin ring around the edge.

Smell is hardcore fruity and sweet, sugar-coated strawberry jumps right out. The malt is a little deeper, adding a little beery character and slight earthiness.

Taste is all orange, with an enormously spicy, peppery kick. The fruit flavors are very delicate, and nicely complement the slick alcohol kick that comes next. The finish and aftertaste are dominated by the spiciness, which actually goes with the orange flavors. Very different, and very good.

Mouthfeel is extremely thick and syrupy, perfect form the strong booze quality and sweet fruity flavors.

Drinkability is remarkably good, this one will catch up with you in a hurry.

Overall, the spicy flavors balance what would be an epically sweet beer, making it something new and unique. Excellent.

BMoney575, Jun 23, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a dimpled English "pot " pint glass
Burgundy in color, with a rather short head of quickly dissapating foam
Aroma-Orange citrus, fruity, some subtle hop notes
Taste-Tart oranges, fruity, spicy,astringent.
Low carbonation, and a dry, wine-like finish, with some warming alchohol that hangs around.
Overall, very wine-like: Dry, tart, fruity and little carbonation. Not really my favorite style, but it follows form pretty well.

hosehead83, Jun 21, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

Glad I got to taste this, but at the end of the day I found it to be just a little bit weird for my taste. It is dark amber with no head or lacing. Smells like oranges and mango and tastes like wheat and oranges. Very citrusy and odd; not very drinkable to me due to the syrupy mouthfeel and the odd citrus. Pretty good, but also weird, which makes sense for Short's.

jt31914, Jun 19, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -1%

$2.70 for a 12oz bottle, selling in 6'ers at the time of this review. A wheat wine fermented with blood orange and blood orange zest, dry hopped, and spiced with green peppercorns.

Pours out to a lightly cloudy mahogany with orange highlights, forming a small white head with minimal lacing. Mild carbonation. The aroma hits you right up front with a ton of orange juice. This literally smells just like orange juice. Nicely mixed in is the pleasant grapefruit of the hops, kinda like an IPA, and in the distant, the pepper is faintly evident. The mouthfeel is huge...bold and syrupy with a huge body. The taste is a recap of the aroma, yet even better, which is a testament to Joe's brewing expertise. It's definitely a wheat wine, but overlying it all is the orange and pepper. I wish the pepper were a bit stronger, with a touch of heat like the Nicie Spicie. As it is, the pepper is relatively faint...you only get the heat in the aftertaste. The orange adds an interesting tartness to the wheat wine base. Unfortunately, there is a prominent oxidized ruddiness of wet newspaper in the aftertaste and when combined with the heat of the alcohol and sourness of the oranges, severely limits it's drink-ability

A very interesting beer that you won't find anywhere else. Definitely worth trying.

Mitchster, Jun 19, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from bottle to snifter this anny ale is fruit juice red in appearance but with a closer look mellow golden accents are also apparant in the edging of the glass. White flat film cap retreats to the sides of the glass quickly. No active carbonation present.

Smells amazing. The orange is there and blends seemlessly with a deep hop aroma to make something kickass. Boozy apricot/brandy comes out as well.

Tastes bitter sweet. Blood orange (go figure), grapefruit, and spice with a hot boozy kick.

Flavor assaults the tastebuds but never gets to crazy. relatively dry finish with solid biting flavors that linger for a minute. Smooth slick mouthfeel.

Very drinkable.