Anniversary Ale - Short's Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

2009 Tap only
2010 Tap and bottle
2013 Tap and bottle

Same recipe every year, according to the brewer, though ABV varies slightly.

"Anniversary Ale~ A high gravity wheat wine made with blood oranges that render an alluring dark purple hue to the color. Flavor abounds from the spice of green peppercorns and tang from blood orange zest. Aggressive dry hop additions amplify the citrus overtones and spiciness found throughout. ‘Anni’ Ale typifies the full magnitude of Short’s Brewing Company by embodying all the complexities and fulfillment necessary to pay tribute to another year of brewing. 10% ABV 63 IBU's"

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 05-08-2009)
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Blood orange. No head and little carbonation. Syrupy texture.

S- Very sweet was the first way I could describe the smell. I picked out wheat, slight hops, immense fruitiness, and orange. It was a bit too complex to fully pick apart. Too many aromas were battling.

T- Orange and grapefruit worked on top of the wheat base. Had it's share of fruity sweetness, and was also a slight bit bitter. Very fruity. The wheat taste was very overpowered by the fruit.

M- Thick and syrupy. The alcohols heat on the tongue almost makes it feel carbonated.

D- Hit's the spot and goes down easy. A good summertime drink, though it wasn't really sessionable with the 11.7%ABV. Goes down very easy though. Almost a standalone drink. You don't need much else after it. Would maybe try a bit warmer next time. Perhaps after leaving out of the fridge for a half hour or so.

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- A clear, deep red liquid with some orange highlights. The bone white head is creamy and has some decent retention.

S- Oranges, pine, fruit punch, flowers, alcohol, and a bit of pepper. Complex and very appealing.

T- Caramel, grapefruit, oranges, peppercorns, and a bit of nuttiness. Unique and delicious without getting too crazy.

M- Very smooth body with a touch of lasting bitterness and alcohol warmth. The sweetness keeps things in check.

D- Overall, the alcohol is hidden extraordinarily well and the sweetness isn't too rich. Drinks far too easily for the ABV.

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%

A - Pours a very dark grapefruit reddish color. Lots of chunks and no head.

S - Orange!! Not citrus, not citrus hops, but orange. Maybe some citrus hops, but mostly orange.

T - Now, there is nothing wrong here. That said, it's like drinking grapefruit juice and beer. Nothing bad, just not a great taste.

M - Cloying, thick, pithy.

D - This another great beer from Shorts. You can dell it's a great execution, but I think the intent falls short. Worth a try if you can find it, and definitely an experience. Just not a amazing beer.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Murky and opaque body. This beer looks like extra pulpy grapefruit juice. Very limited head, some rouge bubbles do manage to cling to the glass in something resembling lacing.

Aroma is juicy, very very juicy. Hints of wheat, frainy aroma is buried beneath the blanket of blood orange. Spicy peppercorn compliments the blood orange very well, much to my surprise. Floral, grassy dry hop characteristic is the only real noticeable hop contribution.

The flavor is outrageous, Graininess of the wheat competes with the tart and bitter blood orange for dominance. Slight sweet flavors peak through momentarily. Grassy, spicy hopss meld into the green peppercorn flavor towards the rear of the palate. The combination of flavors are flat out ridiculous.

Medium body with very little carbonation. Drinks more like a juice than a beer. I would normally have huge issues with this but I do not mind in the least with this specific beer.

A sipper but very enjoyable. Not something I would drink more than a couple, a couple would certainly be enough. It is unfortunate this is not a season, I would like to have this available on occasion. This beer just makes me shake my head, I do not know what to say besides its damn good.

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz bottle at HopCat enjoyed on 8/26. Review from notes.

a - pours a deep ruddy orange color, pretty cloudy, one-finger ivory head with light retention and lacing

s - juicy orange, floral hops, wheat and peppercorn on the nose, along with a boozy heat

t - dominant flavors are really juicy, sweet and lightly bitter orange and spicy wheat, peppercorn notes on the finish along with a substantial booziness and lingering sweet orange component, I think the use of blood oranges was great in that they provide a lightly bitter balance to the traditional sweetness of a wheatwine

m - medium-bodied with moderate to lower carbonation, good deal of alcohol warming, fairly sweet finish

d - delicious stuff, but a sipper for sure, the booze is definitely noticeable in this one and I wouldn't want to take down more than one in any given sitting, however, it's one of the most drinkable wheatwines I've ever tried

Really good stuff that I was glad to see on HopCat's bottle list. Well worth tracking a bottle down if you can.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

Huge thanks to Greg (gcare02) for this hand off.
Pours a orange-red color, very clear and with a generous finger of light tan head. Fades quickly w/ minimal lacing.
Extremely inviting aromas of oranges, grapefruit, and a hint of peppery spice.
Taste is much less exciting than the aroma. Heat up front distracts the overall experience, but once past the alcohol shock, the blood orange flavor is there. The peppercorns take over midway through the flavor and continues on into the finish.
The dry hopped addition is mostly lost at this point, but the zest finds its way into the aftertaste and keeps me coming back for another taste to see what else is there.
Wheat malt keeps the mouthfeel quite thin....was hoping for a bit more depth w/ the abv.
Not quite the winner I was expecting, but super glad to get to try it.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a clean, deep reddish color, with a small light tan head. In the aroma, orange zest, somewhat peppery and spicy wheat notes. In the taste, orange juice, quite spicy and a hint of alcohol. A smooth and medium to big bodied mouthfeel, with a dry orange zest aftertaste. Big orange presence, almost difficult to finish due to ABV and citrus.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%

On tap @ The Great Taste of the Midwest (Madison, WI) on 8/14/10. Several samples served in a tasting mug.

Pours a clear cranberry color with a thin covering of off-white head. This fizzles down fairly quickly, leaving just some light spotty lace behind. The aroma is mostly all wheat and oranges in the nose, with a sweet tanginess and juicy fruit character that is working really well for me. Some light sugars, spice, and floral hops all round this out nicely.

The taste is sweet and tangy in the mouth with the aforementioned blend of wheat and oranges but then a tart spicy blast settles into the middle portion of the profile, before settling into a strong finish of pithy earthy bitterness. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied with a good feeling smooth crispness to it which keeps this moving well. As for the alcohol, I did get some warmth out of this while imbibing but it absolutely blew my mind when I found out that this was almost 12%. I would have never had guessed that, as this remained such a smooth sipper throughout.

A Blood Orange Wheat Wine sounded a little crazy when I first heard about this but the flavors all just worked very nicely for me here. I love that this didn't skip on the orange flavor and the addition of peppercorns really upped the zestiness of this to a new level. The finish was a little overly bitter IMHO but otherwise, this was pretty great stuff.

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

Tried at the summer brewers guild fest 2010 and loved it. We were lucky enough to find one last bottle in a shop somewhere in downtown Ann Arbor.

A dry hopped Wheatwine brewed with blood oranges, blood orange zest and green peppercorns. A very interesting and delicious idea.

A- Very little head forms on this one, but the suds that are there are pretty white. The beer is a bright and glowing reddish amber.

S- The smell is lovely. Its very unique. I was expecting all orange but it isnt that way at all. Its actually got a lot of spice and pepperiness. Smells of green bell pepper, peppercorn, orange and spicy wheat. Oranges still remaining the most dominant, however.

T- The bell pepper, peppercorn and spice take over here. Its much stronger than I expected. The oranges are there, but unlike any orange Ive had (Ive never had a blood orange). Pepper is strong here as is spicy wheat and and earthy quality.

M- I felt that this was much too thin and not carbonated enough. This is really the only glaring default I found with this beer.

Thanks to Nellie and thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a reddish-amber color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the oranges and wheat. The flavor is blood oranges, wheat and alcohol. There is a little bit of tartness in the flavor, but not as much as you would get in a sour ale. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very good beer.

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle and served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy orange/brown body. Small khaki colored head. Lacing and head retention are poor, but that happens with high abv's.

Smell: Blood orange and a plant aroma that I haven't experienced before in a beer. Must be the green peppercorns.

Taste: Big juicy blood orange flavor. The green peppercorn are slightly offputting for me but it is still rather tasty.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Holy hell what do we have here. I have been dying to crack this one open and once I did I had no idea what I was in store for. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/13/2010.

The pour was a very clear dark amber color with lots of orange highlights to it. Small head of white tops it off nicely with a light bit of lacing that eventually falls by the wayside.

Aroma is well oranges. They dominate everything about this beer and I absolutely loved it. Rich and sweet oranges are all over the place, it was like drinking juice in the morning, so sweet and fresh. I could see how some would see this as over done, but I really did think it was fantastically put together. A touch of light pepper in the finish, but mostly just the sweetest, juicest orange you have ever come across. Really quite well done I have to say.

Overall this is gonna be a love it or hate it beer, an I loved it, really worked very well for me on nearly every level.

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured into a snifter. Big thanks to northernbrews for this one.

3.5 A: Clear deep amber color. Half a finger of frothy cream colored head that recedes quickly and leaves one small patch of lacing.

4.0 S: No lack of citrus in this one. Lots of orange going on here along with the orange & cream lifesavers. Also some strawberry, neutral wheat, sugary candy canes, and a mild spiciness. Interesting, it really does smell like those creamsaver things.

3.5 T: Again, the orange creamsavers. This is okay, but I think it's too orange heavy. I'd like a stronger toffee maltiness. Some grapefruit in there as well. While I'm on the topic, this has a reasonable bitterness and a stronger hop presence that I was expecting. Slightly tart and sweet in a candy way as opposed to a malty way. Alcohol is very well hidden.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. The body is simply too damn light for a barleywine. I don't like ultra thick and sweet Bwines, but I don't like the other end of the spectrum either. Carbonation is a bit low as well. Otherwise very smooth with the smallest warming sensation on finish.

3.5 D: I like Short's for their innovative brews. While they had a good idea here, it fell short due to the lack of maltiness (which is something I rarely suggest when considering barleywines). Still, it was worth the experience.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

This is @&$/(ing fantastic. It's a dry wheat ale (wheat wine) 11% abv with a sweet blood orange flavor up front and blood orange bitterness in the middle from zest. It finishes with a dry peppery spike to the tongue from green peppercorns. The hops are centennial and just on the nose. Quality brew

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks glazeman for this strange brew!

A - Clear, dark pink/red, with a thin film head that quickly fades to a few bubbles that line the rim of my snifter. Interesting looking beer. After having many fruit beers from New Glarus, Short's, etc., this is really the only beer I've ever had that I can definitively say is red.

S - Mild, but complex. A blend of hops and soft cherries up front, with some citrus fruits in the middle, followed by a slight burn of EtOH.

T - What a strange beer. Wow. Probably the most bizarre drink I have ever tasted. Where to begin? Ok, here goes... Merlot, sweet cherries, oranges, hops and some type of earthy seasoning up front. The middle brings out some sours that resemble lemons, and the finish, odd as it may sound, are dry, bitter piney, hops. The aftertaste is nuttiness with a citrus sourness that lingers in the back of your throat. What a treat! Incredible.

M - Carbonation is nice, but the thinness of this beer leaves a bit to be desired. For being SO full of flavor and such high ABV, I would have liked just a tad bit more substance to chew on.

D - In the taste, this one is pretty drinkable. I could probably have at least two. But WOW, the EtOH does hit you. It's really easy to feel every bit of that 11.70%... So overall, the drinkability is limited by it's booziness, but the taste of this beer really keeps me begging for more.

This, fellow BAs, is a diamond in the rough. If you see this beer, buy it, chill it, let it sit for 20 minutes or so after pouring, and enjoy - you'll never try another beer like this again.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Reviewed from notes on 7/20/10.

A: The color of this beer has a ruby and garnet hue, like a "sailor's warning" sunrise over North Lake Leelanau. This is truly a beautiful beer. An off white 1/2 finger head fades to leave an attractive haziness on top. Dotty lacing meanders slowly down the sides of the glass.

S: BAM! BLOOD ORANGES! Really, that is the dominant aroma. Deeper inhales reveal the green peppercorn spice complement. I smell some wheatwine characteristics, but they are pretty much overpowered by the citrus and spice. This is a unique and pleasant smell.

T: Much more complex than the smell. The blood orange taste is evident throughout the sip and speaks primarily to the broad top of my tongue. The green peppercorn spice is also omnipresent and bites at the sides and tip of my tongue. The backside of each sip is where this beer really gets wild and crazy. At roughly the same time, the alcoholic heat, full, creamy malts, and bitter hops play like a trumpet fanfare on my palate. It is amazing to me how lasting an impression the bittering hops leave on my tongue, because for most of the sip, this is a sweet and spicy beer.

M: With the sweet citrus, spicy peppercorn, hefty malts, bitter finish, and the high alcohol content, there is a lot substance to this MF. It is perhaps medium bodied, but the component parts really titillate my palate.

D: This is a really large and interesting beer which I have had a couple of times now. But, with its aggressive spiciness, high a.b.v., and dry finish, I don't think this would be a 'drink often' beer for me.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

Notes from 6/29/10

The color is a burgundy, brownish, orangish, reddish...something like that. Quite unique. No head to speak of nor lacing. The color is the redeeming quality here.

Lots of orange zest in the scent with some spice. There is a slight brown sugary malt scent as well with alcohol esters burning my nostrils.

There is a lot of unique flavors here, props for that. The flavor is a bit sour up front which clashes with a pineapple hop. Spice comes through as well and finishes with a twinge of soapy-ness. The aftertaste is a bit funky, bitter sourness and dirt.

Medium bodied with a clean slightly dry finish and fuzzy carbonation.

One is plenty, the aftertaste doesn't keep my interest for more. I like that this is original but the flavor doesn't quite do it for me.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Force poured into my stemmed Ayinger tulip-style chalice to showcase a almost clear ruby/copper color with a dense & creamy 1" settled light beige head. Very fine visible uprising carbonation at a moderate rate. Broad & wide rings of lace with tiny pin pricks through them all the way down.

I could smell the blood oranges quite well immediately after I poured the glass and set it on the table a few feet from my head. The bountiful blood orange scent permeated the airspace around me and it was beautiful. I raise the glass under my nose and I'm greeted with a lush, deep tropical fruit barrage. Macerated plums, raisins, blood oranges (of course) pineapple, apricots - all bathed in a boozy brandy. A handful of hop zippiness peeks through this rain forest of drunk fruit at the end.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! This baby goes from uber sweet nose to an initial sour (almost mouth-puckering tart) greeting with a green peppercorn zap right out of the gate. As my palate tries to recalibrate itself, I can't help but be soothed my this sweet and full flavored mixed & mangled whacky treat. Now, back to reality...The wheat malt is apparent and the loads of blood oranges are top billing. The green peppercorns make for an interesting substitution for the traditional clove spiciness found in most wheat wines. The hops really amp up the peppercorn spiciness to where it's almost impossible to discern where the dry & zesty flavors are coming from.

Mouthfeel is just a little lighter than full bodied, but is very slick & sturdy. The long, warm flavorful finish ends with just a little alcohol burn.

Drinkibility is limited due to the 'sip slow' factor inherent in this fine and unusual ale.

Overall Short's has fried my circuits once again, (in a good way). Very sweet and somewhat sour with lots of warm spices worming themselves through this hearty, jovial beast. As it warms, the clove finally spouts out. The green peppercorns can be a little heavy handed, but don't really rock the boat...or I should say 'battleship'. This is one big & burly ale with a big smile on it's shiny face. At least my face is grinning with a slight shine to it, now that my glass is empty.

4.63/5  rDev +17.5%

I feel like a short preface is in order for this one: As a child, I lived in Italy for a spell, where blood oranges were very popular, and my bother used to buy blood orange juice for us. I mixed in a packet of sugar each morning at breakfast and loved the blood orange juice. Needless to say, I'm very excited to try this beer. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: A vigorous pour yields only a 1/2 finger white head in this dark amber colored beer. While there is not much head, a crown lingers for the duration of the drink and creates some nice lacing. There is also a nice swirl of bubbles in the middle throughout.

S: Probably the weakest part of this beer. There's a lot of sweet malts, mostly consisting of oranges, as one would expect, and a little bit of pepper in there as well.

T: Wow, the blood oranges really come through well in this beer and work far better than I would have imagined. They are integrated seamlessly and give this beer a wonderful taste. There's some orange sweetness up front, nice acidity in the middle, and some smokiness at the finish from the peppercorns. This is one of the most interesting and complex beers I have had in a long time.

M: This was a very smooth drink. A little low on the carbonation, but that works perfectly in this beer. It feels to me almost like drinking a nice cabernet, but with a little carbonation and a wonderful aftertaste.

D: My expectations were far exceeded by this beer. Really is an absolute must try in my opinion. The 11.7% ABV is completely hidden, the flavor is wonderful, it's smooth, dangerously drinkable. I saw this on the shelf during a recent trip to Michigan, and debated whether or not to buy it, but am so glad I did.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into Bruery snifter.

Pours 1 finger of light beige head. Fades to a ring. Leaves some very nice lace. Color is a dark copper with a ruby hue to it.

Aroma: Big citrus. Orange, grapefruit, lemon. Light wheat. Floral hops. Smelling more like a dipa, but I like it.

Taste: Big grapefruit citrus taste with some orange peel and lemon zest. Has some wheat and a big floral hop profile. This is boarderline IIPA. Very well done. Not too much malt showing here. Has some spice flavor to it.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, smooth, and a bit creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a bite of grapefruit, a slight amount of stickiness.

Overall, this wheatwine drinks like an IIPA. Very fresh hops and citrus profile. It is very good and drinks easily. I will have more of this one.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

12oz bottle from hoppymeal.

Pours a shockingly clear reddish amber with a small wispy head that recedes to a tiny collar and leaves no lacing, just some sticky legs along the side.

The aroma is fascinating and certainly has a dominant orange presence. Very thick and rindy orange aroma with sweet wheat and hints of spices and pepper. Still, it's a massively sweet citrusy nose with the blood oranges bringing a completely new twist.

The taste is seriously sweet as well but the tartness of the blood oranges and thick wheat presence seem to balance out the sweet citrus. The finish is bitter and burns with alcohol.

Mouthfeel is sticky sweet and thick on the palate with low soft carbonation.

I'm extremely pleased with this one and I really enjoyed what the blood oranges bring to the table. Big, complex brew. Not extremely drinkable but quite a sipper.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz. bottle, no freshness date

A - Pours the color of a blood orange, with a thin film of white head and just a few spots of lace.

S - Blood oranges dominate, with tones of wheat and bit of other tropical fruits in the background. Overall, fruity.

T - The blood orange flavor comes through from start to finish (moderately sweet up front, then sour on the swallow). A bit of wheat, and just a touch of alcohol bite. Very faint peppercorn character.

M - Medium-boded, with low carbonation akin to a very young white wine.

D - With its sour, slightly alcoholic profile, it drinks a lot like a wine. Definitely a sipper, but a good one.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Thanks to witbier for bringing this back from Bellaire for me. Zeke, you are the best.

A: The ale, my second of the day (the first was shared with ksak and janlud), has a reddish tint to it, a blood orange color if you ask my opinion. A radiant glow reveals translucent hues that match the reds. A finger plus of head laces as it recedes.

S: Damn! What a nose! The blood oranges, the peppercorns, the wheat strength. The whole package, with a minty afterglow, is incredible to sniff. The citric bite is intense, the blood orange a unique addition.

T: The ale is complex, with the intense wheat battling the citrusy blood oranges for the spotlight. The wheat, well beyond pleasantly tart, is biting and full, easily on par with the strength of a barleywine. The blood oranges are citrusy sweet, dripping with flavor. Peppercorns add a dose of zest that works well with the wheat. Oh, but I have to come back to the juicy blood orange flavors, rich and sweet, an incredible addition to the ale.

M: Smooth and sweet, the ale is big, VERY BIG. The citrus and wheat fight at times but generally get along. The result is a full, rich taste that may be too much for many. Me? I liked it a year ago and I like it now.

D: At nearly 12%, this wheatwine is best enjoyed in short doses. I love the flavor, the citrus and blood orange. A worthy anniversary ale.

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

Drinking an anniversary beer on my anniversary.

Bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A- 1/2 finger, off-white head quickly drops to a light, spotty lace. The body takes on many hues from ruby, to brownish, to nearly pink at the edges. Good sticky spots are left as I drink. The body's slightly hazed with light carbonation.

S- Initial fruity punch. Something of an apricot/peach mix with citrus. I'm gonna' have to guess that's the blood orange coming through. It comes across as a fine fruited spirit or liqueur. I don't pick up a ton of other aromas, but what's there is so unique and welcoming.

T- Oh, man!!! The blood orange is just a player on a team of flavor. Warm, fruity alcohol is like a nicely flavored brandy, perhaps. Wheaty aspects mix with a slight, pleasantly musty features. It has a spicy, peppery bite that combines with an almost pithy, citrus bitterness. A mix of sour/bitter citrus and pepper dry the finish allowing some of the sweetness to linger just a bit.

M- Alcohol bite borders on burn, staying just on the right side. Light carbonation helps smooth the full bodied, viscus brew.

D- It's a definite sipper. So complex and "fun" that I'm disappointed that I likely won't have a chance to try it again as it's a "one off brew." I'm pretty sure I got the last bottle at my local shop. The abv is the only thing holding me back from wanting to lock myself in my room with a sixpack. I have to give a shout out to one of my brewsday buddies for giving me a sample of this fine brew. I was pretty geeked to find my own bottle last week.

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

A huge thanks to erikkoppin for this great extra. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a ruddy color into my RR tulip. At first I see no head even with a relatively vigorous pour, however, thankfully small bubbles begin to filter up giving less than a finger of quickly dissipating head that leaves minimal lacing.

Smell - An utter amazing nose. Ripe, juicy citrus notes permeate the air (mostly orange), along with plenty of zest and peppery spices. Honestly, this has to be one of the better, if not the best smelling beers I've encountered. I would almost be content just sitting here, smelling this beer all night.

Taste - Wow, the orange is heavily present right off the bat...so much so I have never tasted such fruit in a beer of this nature. After the initial citrus blast there is a kick of peppery spices. These flavors meld together and complement each other surprisingly and appropriately well. The first couple sips I didn't taste any alcohol presence, which is quite an accomplishment for such a high abv beer. After a few mores sips I still do not taste it in the sip, but I can feel the gradual warming of my throat. Holy cow - this beer is fantastic.

Mouthfeel - Quite thick, low carbonation, dry finish not unlike some wines, and as stated, a nice warming sensation from the alcohol.

Drinkability - A sipper for sure. What an interesting beer; granted what was I expecting from Short's? I am very thankful I was able to try this style and beer in general. Haven't had many beers really surprise me lately so needless to say I am happy this beer blew me away. The way the sweet orange and peppery spices mix, the dryness, tartness, alcohol warmth...everything just makes this beer complete. Well done Short's.

Anniversary Ale from Short's Brewing Company