Short's Sustenance Black Bier - Short's Brewing Company

Schwarzbier |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 06-07-2009

3.75/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle into a snifter. Graciously shared by Arp and enjoyed with Paul at his place.

This beer looks nice in the glass but lacks the head retention of the best Schwarzbiers in the world. The color is dark brown to black with a hint of red and even gold around the edges. There is a tan head that left the building in the time it took to write this sentence. A soapy film remains and lace is less than stellar. Great color, bad head.

Sustenance smells of sweet caramel malt at first, then some heavier notes come in. There's some black strap molasses, roasted chocolate hints from the malt and a touch of smoke or maybe toasted or burned malt. This is pleasant and well-integrated, but there is a touch of black malt acidity that scares me that this may be stale or slightly tart. But at least the typical Shorts infection is absent from the smell.

The beer tastes better than expected. The biggest win over the smell is the way everything is balanced and pleasant. Some acidity that I noted in the nose is present, but happily not sour. Some bitterness and touch of light smoke hit mid-way through the palate. I get some notes of coffee, which are contrasted by sweet caramel and a touch of licorice. There is also a touch of bitter citrus rind, I'm assuming from the hops. A good beer with depth and a myriad of flavors, but nothing that valuts this over the bar into the top tier of schwarzbiers.

The beer is medium bodied with some thin gaps but it has a relatively pleasant and substantial feel. The carbonation is a bit high for my tastes. Overall, Short's Sustenance Black Bier
is very pleasnat and comes together well. I'm very much looking forward to trying the barrel-aged version.

3.74/5  rDev -0.3%

Sustenance Black Beer

Served in New Belgium globe glass

A: Pours clear deep brown with modest head.

S: Clean, roasted malts, especially chocolate, dominate nose. Additional aromas include smoke, cola and molasses.

T: Malty sweetness, along with roast and bitter chocolate. Smoke, cola and molasses are somewhat present, albeit in smaller proportions. Medium bitterness with a green/hoppy kick. Roast lasts through finish.

M:  Medium-light body and medium carbonation. Pleasant, somewhat creamy mouthfeel.

O: I've drank only a handful of swarzbiers in the last few years, but it is a style that suits me: lower abv, malt-forward, and big flavor. I enjoyed Short's Sustenance Black Beer and think it rates above average.

Thanks hurfer for the opportunity!

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown almost black with a 2 finger off white head

smell: sweet, spices, caramel, malts,

taste: spice, caramel, black patent malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: a very interesting beer has a taste that I can't pinpoint. but will definitely have again.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

The bottle says this is "For when you're hungry and thirsty," which fits me right now. I'm hoping it sates both those feelings nicely.

It is indeed black (I expected no less), but some blood-red light shines around the edges when I hold the glass up to light. Looks moderately viscous. Topped with a fizzy, off-white head that looked like it would dissipate quickly but actually hung on for a while.

The smell reminds me a bit of cola, but not nearly as sweet. Maybe hints of dark fruit as well. It's a relatively weak aroma (maybe typical for the style, I don't know), but a good one.

I can taste just a little bit of hops, which I think is what made me think "cola" on the smell. There's a base of roasty malt, but it doesn't add any bitterness until the aftertaste, when it lingers a short while.

The mouthfeel is smooth and a little bit chewy, with a fair amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is a good beer, though not a great beer. I'm glad I got a sixer and I'll enjoy the rest of it.

On tap at HopCat in GR.

Pours a hazy dark brown, some orange highlights, looks black away from the light, thick off white head forms, settles to a thick ring, some lace drops on the glass. Smell is neat, toasty, some roast, licorice, very bready, touch of citrus, some caramel sweetness, very malty, but not a whole lot going on in the nose. Taste is similar, light bit of roast, some biscuit, dark fruit/raisins, light citrus, toast and a bit of fruity sourness in the finish. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, goes down easy. Decent enough beer, but didn't really impress me as a Shwarz, something just wasn't right, and could use a touch more roast.

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

As a schwarzbier, this is pretty decent. Probably a bit too heavy for the style though. The delivery is consistent and thorough. But in the end, like I said, it's a bit too heavy for me, as far as judging to style. This is a style that breweries rarely try out, so nice to see someone trying. Still a nice beer.

3.67/5  rDev -2.1%

poured cold from the bottle a crisp cola black to a sun king shaped pint glass with a super thin, short lasting, tan head leaving a thin rim of lace near the rim after each sip.

roasty black coffee aroma with a bit of burnt chocolate meringue pie crust in the way back.

nice. smoky, milk chocolate, and black coffee.

light bodied, big carbonation, coffee bitter to the tongue, fading to semi sweet chocolate.

drinkable - yep.

overall - nice chocolatey, true to style.

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

On tap at Churchkey. Served in a snifter.

Pours a very dark brown with a single-finger tan head that sticks around for a bit before fading and leaving a bit of light lacing. The nose has a bit of light roast and a bit of dark fruit as well. Mild anise character. The flavor has a moderate amount of roast along with some sweet malt. Dark fruit and cherry come through a bit, along with some slight black licorice. There is a bit of a cardboard character in the finish as it warms, however. Medium body and lightly sweet throughout. Pretty decent.

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - WOW, what a nicely pouring brew... Head is a nice Khaki color with great foamy density. Head retreats to leave decent lacing. Brew is Black as night with no hues of any kind.

S - Smokey! Roasty! Deep! Very chocolate. Slight coffee scent lingers too. There's some molasses buried deep inside.

T - Quite a smokey brew. Not absurdly smokey, just slightly over done. Quite rich tasting with very dark chocolate tones. Slightly bitter, but not distracting.

M - Smooth and silky. Near perfect carbonation. Quite a nice feel, As close to perfect as I've had in some time.

O - There's something missing in this brew... I can't quite put my finger on what's missing, but there's definitely something! I would add more caramel and less chocolate to help reduce bitterness. Over all? Quite a grad brew! Very glad i got to try it! Thank you Another6pack!

For When You're Hungry and Thirsty....

Cheers!

3.6/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to Randalld for this great xtra!
My first Short's brew served in a Bass tulip.

A: Pours just about black with a mocha head. Nice lacing. Head is rich and frothy.

S: Smells of strong coffee and bitter chocolate. Some raisins and dates hiding in there, along with the faintest hop aroma. Dark fruit becomes more apparent as the beer warms.

T: More hop flavor than the scent would suggest. Roasty flavors abound. Coffee and chocolate are back. Just a bit of nuttiness...possibly some hazelnut. Flavors are a little more robust than some other examples of the style. Finishes nice and dry.

M: Fuller than I expected for a schwarzbier, but much thinner than most beers of this deep, dark hue. Carbonation is about right.

D: Schwarzbiers are generally pretty sessionable. This, however, feels just a bit bigger than what is typical for the style. I could put back a couple of these, but I'm missing a certain "smoothness" that I would usually expect from a lager.

Nice beer. Really glad I got to try it and hopefully there will be some more Short's in my future. I wouldn't seek this one out, but if it were readily available I would pick it up from time to time.

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

Sustenance pours a shiny blackish color that lets almost no light shine through. The light that does make it through illuminates a deep dark brownish amber. It has a nice tan head that would go well on any stout. It melts slowly away and leaves nice lace.

The aroma is predominantly that of rich bitter cocoa and roasted malts. It has some gentle malty character that is quite clean.

The flavor is even roastier than the aroma with plenty of burnt coffee flavor as well as bitter cocoa. The malt sweetness is fairly clean and non-descript with just a touch of sourness in the end.

The mouthfeel is medium with an enjoyable smooth character to it. The finish is a bit rough around the edges for my taste with plenty of charred coffee type flavors as well as some seriously dark cocoa character.

This is one serious schwarzbier in that it smells and tastes a lot more like a stout than anything else. Sustenance is a good name because it is much more filling than most of this style. That is unfortunately my main problem with this beer. It is a bit too robust for a schwarz, but not quite robust enough to be a stout or porter. I think if I wanted something sessionable I would pass this up and if I wanted something roasty I would go with a big stout. It is still a quality beer though and is yet another fine offering from Short's.

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

I drank my sustenance from a pint glass. (It's just fun to say). It poured a light head and the color was a light black/dark as can be brown. The aroma for me was strong on roasted malts, chocolate malt in particular, with a bit of sweetness. I was also picking up the slightest hints of some fruity, estery goodness.

The first sip gave me roasted malts again, but cleanly so, balanced by hop bitters, and suggestions of burnt caramel that fade to sweet. The hops have a nice, well played presence here, balanced with the sweet and the bitter of the malts themselves. Nothing is heavy handed. There is a medium body, with decent carbonation, but just a tad runny. The drinkability of this beer is great.

3.56/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Notes from 6/4/10

Black, jet black with a lingering cloud of frothy head. Carbonation looks minimal, not much going on.

Coffee, molasses, anise appear in the smell. I don't know what kind of beer this is going in, but it reminds me of a stout. Dark cherries are also present, let's taste.

The dominant flavor seems to be the coffee. It doesn't taste as much like a stout though it could be a thin one. There is a good amount of hop bitterness holding up the malt and coffee. The molasses is subtle which is pleasant. The taste seems to be missing any fruit I detected in the scent.

Medium bodied with a slight drying from the hops.

This is a solid drink but the aftertaste sits heavy on my tongue minimizing the want for more. I could have another, but one is fine.

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top bottle; label says "for when you're hungry and thirsty" lol, I love it!

Appearance: Dark brown/black beer, with brown and garnet at the edges. A beige cap shows good retention and a bit of lace.

Smell: Equal mix of rich nut brown ale, brown porter, and stout. It's nice, roasty, malty, slightly sweet, with just a hint of juicy dark fruit.

Taste: Lots of chocolate malt, decent kick of juicy dark fruit, and I SWEAR, a hint of something like peanut butter! I wish I had this side-by-side with my Peanut Butter Porter to compare. It's a bit short, but pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel: A bit light, especially considering the name and the "meal in a glass" characterization.

Drinkability: Fairly high.

Conclusion: Tasty beer, but doesn't really live up to the way it's packaged. Up in Kalamazoo, I had no internet so I wasn't sure what style this was supposed to be. From the title and description, I was thinking stout or porter. On here, it's listed as a Schwartz and, quite honestly, it makes a lot more sense and probably deserves to score a B+ but, as I didn't know that at the time, I still have to rate it at a B.

3.53/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Notes from last summer.

Pours pitch black with one finger of quickly dissipating head.

Smell is mostly roasted malt but a pretty subdued smell overall.

Taste is a nice lingering roasted malt. Flavor is actually a bit thin, but a nice bit of hops to stimulate the palate.

Light mouthfeel with a moderate level of carbonation.

Pretty drinkable with no overpowering flavors. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Short's Sustenance Black Bier from Short's Brewing Company