Short's Sustenance Black Bier - Short's Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 06-07-2009

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

12 oz. longneck with no best before dated seen.

Force poured into a stemmed chalice produced a opaque black liquid with no highlights to speak of. The loose khaki head decreased to 1/4" after sitting for a few minutes. Moderate amount of broken rings of lace.

A few swirls of the chalice evoked wonderfully lush and fresh aroma of fresh dark chocolate truffles and Mackinaw Island chocolate walnut fudge. Malted milk and sour dough bread too.

The flavors are all dark, decadent and delicious. Even though the aroma was thick and sweet, the initial flavor is chalky, semi-bitter (as a fine dark baker's chocolate should be) and a tad bit charred. The coffee and woody notes blend nicely with the figgy undertones. The flavors are clean and agile, not cloying in the least. The flavors also are intertwined quite nicely but are very discernible on their own. I didn't have any trouble detecting what I was tasting, but they all blended together quite masterfully.

Mouthfeel is a smack-dab between light and medium bodied with a lower than moderate amount of prickly carbonation. It was slick and oily on the tongue with a clean, bitter and somewhat chalky flavorful (charred) finish.

Drinkability is great for such a full flavored 'big' tasting beer.

Overall I was fearing this beer would very sweet upon smelling it. The flavors really went into the opposite direction once it hit my mouth. So it's really the best of both worlds...Sweet, lush and thick aroma with clean, dry/bitter and flavors and textures. I don't know how Short's did it, but I will definitely buy it again when I see it. Hat's off to the Short's crew once again!

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass. Pours a deep, dark brown with a one-finger head that recedes pretty rapidly. Areas of reddish brown are visible where the light shines through, and there is a bubbly ring of lacing left behind after the head dissipates.

Smell: Wonderful toasted malt aroma, as well as chocolate, coffee, caramel, and molasses. Very earthy and inviting.

Taste: Big smokey, earthy flavor. Getting lots of coffee, dark fruits, and toasted malt. Texture is pretty thick and creamy, and the alcohol provides a nice warming sensation. To sum it up, I guess I would categorize it as a lighter, smoother version of a stout.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, smooth, with adequate carbonation and just the right amount of bitterness.

Drinkability: Compared to other dark beers, I'd say this one fairs pretty well. Enough malt and bitterness to keep you interested, but not enough to prevent this from being a decent session beer.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

I had this on tap at Hopcat in Grand Rapids. The beer was black color with a thin head. The aroma was light and malty, a little roasty. The taste was dominated by roasted malts but stayed easy drinking with a light body. Very good schwarzbier, but honestly I'd made a mistake and thought I was ordering a rauchbier. Good though.

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

a: Dark with a mocha head. nice lacing. good color...looks interestingly thin in body.

s: roasted malts, cocoa and dark fruit. This smells very good, though it is not a potent scent. A hint of nuttiness to it.

t: very nice flavor profile and surprising complexity. A dark fruit nuance of raison and plum take center stage as well as leave a sour taste. This is rounded by a rich sweet cocoa and balanced with nuts that hint toward hazelnut/pecan. Very flavorful and very good.

m: creamy and smooth. sticks on the palette and is medium bodied. very nice. Leaves the mouth dry.

o: surprised by how good this was. A tremendous flavor profile. i wouldn't need many of these, but I would search this out again to have occasionally. strikes me as a great one to have int he fall.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Probably the star of the night for me, beer is black but clear at the corners with a haloed head of off white bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass with some carbonation present.

The aroma is sweet and dark but not roasty.

The beer is medium to light in body with a wet finish. No bitterness to speak of in the back, just a nice simple beer with a nice malt profile. I'd have it again.

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Sustenance Black Bier the other day for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. It's been a while since I have had a Schwarzbier so when I saw that Short's made one I knew I had to see what they can do with this style. No visible bottling date, 2011 vintage. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a Pilsener glass.

A- The label is a little weird, it looks like a couple sitting down for dinner, the label might be implying that this beer is meant to go with dinner. It poured a pretty dark black color that let just a little bit of light through with some ruby highlights. It had a big, four fingers worth of fluffy, rocky and bubbly tan head that died down to a thick layer that stayed the rest of the time and left some lacing.

S- The first thing I pick up is lots of roasted dark malts that smell like they were heavily roasted and they have a medium amount of sweetness to them that give it a brown sugar like aroma. I also picked up some black coffee, chocolate, and a slight amount of toffee. It has a pretty nice roasty aroma and I didn't pick up any hop aromas.

T- The taste mirrors the aroma nicely. It starts off much like the aroma with loads of heavily roasted dark malts that aren't as sweet as they were in the aroma. The heavily roast of the malts made for a nice subtle smokey flavor that was unexpected but I felt like it worked well with this beer and it helped set it apart from all the other Schwarzbiers. The black coffee and chocolate flavors from the aroma were present but the chocolate seemed to stick out much more. The finish was very smooth and there was no presence of hops or alcohol at all.

M- Smooth, medium light bodied and nicely carbonated, it may have had a little bit more carbonation then I would have liked, but with Short's I will gladly take a little extra carbonation then a mild amount.

Overall I though this was a pretty damn good Schwarzbier, I haven't had a ton of this style but I would have to say that this was my favorite Schwarzbier I have had to date. I find most Schwarzbiers to have a good amount of hops in them and this one wasn't hoppy at all, it was focused on the roasted and smokey malts and I liked that. It had a very rich and roasty flavor that was somewhat similar to a porter but every thing else was pretty true to it's style especially the mouthfeel. I could see how this beer would make a great choice to drink with dinner, the flavor is roasted and robust while the body is light enough to not be too filling to go with dinner, I will have to try and pair this beer up with a nice dinner next time I have it. I would for sure buy this beer again, it would represent it's style nicely in my fridge, I hope there is some more left at the store so I don't have to wait till next year to enjoy this fine brew. If you like roasty and robust beers then this beer is for you, it has great drinkability while retaining all those great flavors. Short's comes through with another great beer, I like the fact they can take an often overlooked style and add their own personal touch to it to make it a truly unique and great tasting beer, lets see what you guys can do with a Hefeweizen, yes that is a challenge.

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

A - Pours a dark brown color with a thick finger of thick frothy chocolate colored head. The head fades down very slowly leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - The aroma is full of lightly roasted chocolate malts, a bit of lactose sweetness, some earthy hop, and just a touch of smoke.

T - Starts off with a mix of roasted chocolate malts and some milk sweetness. There is a bit of earthy hop in the background as well. Through the middle, some bitterness comes through with some earthy bitterness. The finish is a mix of earthy hop, roasted milk chocolate, and a touch of smoke that lingers.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth and just a touch creamy with a roasted and lightly smokey finish.

D - Very drinkable. Very nicely balanced with a nice kick at the finish. Maybe a bit too roasted for the style, but I am really enjoying it.

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Dark black, fizzy with half an inch of creamy head. Smells of chocolate, coffee, and cigar smoke. Taste is mostly sweet with hints of raisins, nuts, and toffee. Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy. Easy to drink with minimal alcohol presence. Very solid session beer.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last