Rich's Rye - Short's Brewing Company

Rich's RyeRich's Rye

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Deuane on 06-19-2009)
Reviews by JordanEllwanger:
4.18/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured like thick molasis with a thin head. Amebery copper tones cloudy and dense. The smell is super dank, so good it almost smells perfect. A great hop presence backed up by a seemingly smooth rye malt. A great beer. Short's delivers again and again. Rich's Rye is no exception. Cheers

3.65/5  rDev +3.4%

Reviewed from notes on 7/24/10.

A: Pours golden-amber into an over sized wine glass. A small, khaki head burns off quickly to leave a haze of near-full coverage on top. The lacing does not stick on the glass for long and small dots are left behind. The carbonation bubbles are relatively small in number and swim lazily to the top of the glass.

S: Lots of rye and pine-y, earthy hops dominate the scent. There is a small amount of orange and orange zest evident to my nose, as well. There is a bit of an undesirable plasticine smell that I have achieved in some of my homebrew. For that, I have mark down the smell score a bit. However, as the beer warms, that scent fades a bit.

T: There is a healthy amount of spicy rye that just parks right on the tip of my tongue, accompanied by bitter, orange and earth hops on the sides of my palate. There is also a fairly sweet plum-like malt presence at the start of each sip. This is probably the biggest rye flavor that I've ever encountered in a rye beer and it's just a tad too much for my palate.

M: Bitter rye and hop bite is the lasting impression on my mouth. I would characterize the body as a light to medium-light.

D: This is a good time to time beer when I would really want a dry, bitter palate dominator. I would not want to session this, however.

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is rye, toffee and grassy hops. The flavor is rye, toffee and some citrus hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A pretty good beer and nice to see something from Short's that wasn't infected.

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

A- Golden in color with an orange like hue presence throughout. A generous head and lacing that does not cease.

S- picking up some grains such as wheat and rye, a strong presence of hops and citrus throughout.

T-Can taste some chewy graininess throughout, a light rye taste. The hops punch you in the mouth with a trace of citrus throughout. Has a strange rye/grain aftertaste.Not bad but just very different aftertaste.

M- Is sleek on the palate light, has a tangy feel throughout. smooth through out with a slight bitter taste at the end.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. It tasted more like an IPA to me. For those who didn't like I think you most likely are drinking old beer or got a bad bottle b/c there was nothing unappealing about this beer in taste smell or appearance in my book. Just my opinion

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect pint.

A: Viscous pour yields a 1.5 finger fluffy, light peach colored head with decent retention. Beer is a cloudy orange. Lacing is faint and stringy with little cling.

S: Belgian yeast, mandarin orange, and other citrus fruits tickle the nose. Bready with the slightest bit of cane sugar in the back along with some grassiness. Fruit is abundant but the other aromas are rather muted.

T: Muted citrus fruitiness with a bit of bark upfront. Super waxy hop bitterness explodes in the middle and lingers all the way to the end, covering everything else. Holy crap this is hoppy... Finish is more of the same. Aftertaste is a lingering, filmy hop residue all over the inside of my cheeks and tongue.

M: Medium to full bodied, lightly carbonated, and viscous and heavy in the mouth. Chewy and dense all the way through with a messy finish and an aftertaste that lingers long after the beer is gone.

D: I want to state upfront that I like hoppy beers for the most part. That being said, this brew is beyond hoppy. This is cheek gouging, enamel destroying, tongue blisteringly bitter and I can't take it. I appreciate and understand the effort but this is just too much for me in every way.

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

the fifth beer in a series brought by my Bro-in-Law was the Rich's Rye...LUV U BRO!!!!

The appearance clear golden color with thin white head. The nose is dominated by pine. The taste is quite unique the rye seems to be fighting the hops as to who will win the pallete cling....in the end the bitter grapefruit taste lingers. The mouthfeel is good....but it is an explosion of flavor. Definitely worth a try!!!

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to splax23 for this in trade.

Thick pour on this, as it comes out a hazy copper, with a finger of slightly off-white head. This retains with a thin creamy layer of froth that leaves some rather robust looking spotty froth down the sides of the glass.

The aroma is floral and spicy smelling, with a certain amount of stickiness to it from the notes of rye, bread, caramel, and citrus. Unfortunately this is also tinged with that same damn plastic band-aid of-flavor that I just picked up in the bottle of Hangin' Frank before this. Fortunately it's not as pronounced as it was in that beer but it is noticeable.

The taste is spicy and bitter on the palate with notes of citrus peel and some lighter grapefruit character. Bready rye pulls up the backend, along with sweeter caramel malt that offers up some balance. The finish is spicy at first but then gets progressively more dry and bitter on the tongue. The mouthfeel is mellow creaminess that sits on top of an extra thick syrupy feel. This does ease up as things warm but I'm not sure that I've ever felt a slushy body on a lighter beer like I did on this one. Very interesting.

This was certainly not a bad hoppy Rye beer here. The band-aid smell in the aroma pissed me off but is didn't absolutely ruin things or anything. The heavy body on this was really unique though and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it. I would definitely like to give this one a shot on draft sometime though to see how it compares.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

Clear light gold body with white fluffy head. The color looks like apple juice. The lacing is generous.

There's not much going on in the smell. Light spicey rye.

The flavor is bread, grain and spice. There's a light hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is slick with light carbonation.

This was a decent beer, but not much going on in it. Shorts usually pushes styles to extremes and this was was rather ordinary.

3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

Amber color with one finger of head that quickly settled to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left on the the glass. The aroma is a combination of rye malt and piney hops. Sort of has a Pine-Sol aroma. I do not know what happened to the flavor. Has an astrigent flavor that is hard to get past. The rye and hops do not work that well together. Maybe not the best combination of ingredients. The other malt does not show up. Medium body with a nice carbonation. Good texture. The flavor falls short. I would not buy this again.

A 12 oz bottle from Flick's. In a tumbler.

A: The rye beer is golden, a bright orangey amber color that hasn't lost its transparency. Very golden. A finger and a half of white head are lacing all around the mouth of my glass, tiny legs slowly drying up.

S: The nose has a preponderance of rye, darker spicy aromas that have a grainy, licoricey undertone. The strength of the malts was surprising, as the ale is advertised as being generously hopped. After settling down, the hops, citrusy, are more apparent. The anise-like rye aromas sell me.

T: Mmm, spicy rye. The maltiness of the ale, driven by the dark spices, stands out. The hops? They're there, just not in a strong way. The breadiness is bold, the rye deep and mysterious. Hop bitterness is late to the game, like in the nose, leaving a thick bitterness in my mouth. That thickness is paired nicely with the rye.

M: Very chewy, a malt explosion. The late hop infusion doesn't change the rye-centric nature. If you like rye, you should enjoy this one; the rye gets center stage.

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Very explosive head on this one. I poured about 4 ounces of beer into the glass and ended up with one finger of hazy amber beer on the bottom and an overflowing head. I'm gonna assume this is just a bad bottle. Lots of rye and fruity hops in the smell and taste. Very full mouthfeel.

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

Another Shorts beer from my Michigan homeboy Kbeals... shared this one with the Boise peeps... Thanks Kevin!!

Nice 2 finger head.. hazed lite amber brew.

Nose shows a sorta fruity hoppiness.. tropical fruits and plenty of citrus.

Flavor begins with a surprising bitterness.. a bit bready toward the front then blasted by the citrus hops and even a bit of floral hoppiness.

Pretty big carbonation given the only medium/lite body.

Thanks again Kevin.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3/3

1.93/5  rDev -45.3%

Pours a golden straw color with a huge 3 finger off-white head and ample lacing down the glass.

Smells like a BMC product really. Not too pleasant. Very grainy with little distinction.

Starts off with a pretty good rye spiciness. Fades into a piney resinous finish. A bit of astringency as well as it finishes extremely bitter. Oxidation shows up in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel is somewhat light and carb level is good.

Beginning to think I just don't like Short's. There's nothing about this beer that appeals to me.

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

so i decided last night to break out 10, thats right 10 new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

The pour was a nice light amber color that was more then adequately carbonated which led to a really nice looking head of about two inches on the top of the glass that never did fade much beyond that.

Aroma was hard to find at first, a bit let down here. Nice citrus hops were located, clean, crisp, with a noted spiciness to them which gave it a nice balance and a bit of an interesting tone, but I had to look to hard to find it. Same problem here as we moved over into the flavor, just did not hold up as well as I would have hoped. It had elements of a bright, clean flavor, notes of citrus, and light bready malts, but just did not do it for me. Really light body and good carbonation led to it certainly being drinkable, just not outstanding.

Overall a good offering, but it could have used a bit more to round it out.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

2.85/5  rDev -19.3%

I bought a bottle of Rich's Rye today for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I haven't had anything hoppy in a little while so since the label says it's a super hopped golden rye beer I hope it will quench my thirst for hops. No visible bottling date but I know it's a fresh 2011 vintage. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label on this beer is pretty simple, just a picture of a mans face, to me it looks like Maury Povich. It poured a nice looking golden yellow color just like the bottle stated. It had two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing.

S- The aroma is pretty much a half and half mixture of rye and hops. The rye has an earthy grainy aroma with a little bit of signature rye spice. The hops are slightly floral but the citrus hops shine through the most in the aroma. There was also some grapefruit and pine aromas along with a slight bit of pineapple. I like the way that the fruity aromas blend with the heavy rye presence in this beer.

T- The flavor of this beer is pretty much dominated by the rye. All those earthy and spicy flavors that you get from beers that are heavy on the rye are present and pretty much make up the majority of the taste of this beer. The hops are a lot lighter then I expected and only impart a very slight floral and citrus taste that is pretty easy to miss. The aftertaste was pretty damn bitter, much more bitter then I was expecting, it seems like the hops were used more for it's bitterness and aroma than it's flavor.

M- Slightly crisp, medium bodied and medium carbonation, I would like a little more carbonation but I'm not going to bitch about it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty lack luster beer. I knew going in to this that it was a Rye beer, I just wasn't expecting the rye to be that bold and dominating, I didn't hate all that rye but it could have been toned down a little. The hops imparted lots of nice aromas but when it came to the flavor all it did was add a really heavy Imperial Pilsner like bitterness to it that I thought was way too much for this beer. I don't think I would purchase this beer again it just really didn't do it for me. If you are a die hard rye fan you may want to seek this out but other then that it doesn't have much going for it. I wasn't all that impressed with this beer and out of all the different short's beers I have tried this is my least favorite to date, I guess you can't win em all Short's.

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

Rich’s Rye pours a nice golden amber color with an attractive bone colored head. The head has both excellent retention and lacing ability. As I watch the small trails of bubbles slowly make their way to the top, I realize that this is probably the best looking Short’s beer I have ever seen.

The aroma is a battle royal between the spicy, earthy rye and citrusy hops. Rye is certainly playing a big role, but I also am picking up some nice lemon grass, grapefruit and pine aromas in the back. There is a layer of malty sweetness as well that makes the whole bouquet a bit more fruity.

I take a sip and my underlying fears are confirmed. This beer has a lot of rye in it and it is too much rye for my liking. My palate is assaulted with the spicy and astringent rye. It is so prevalent that the hops are left mostly obscured. The malt is also pretty much blown away and I am finding the finish to be very bitter. Really the only part of the flavor that I like is the very beginning of each sip when my mouth is filled with a slightly sweet and hoppy rye flavor. After that it goes downhill fast.

The body is medium with a pretty nice mouthfeel that has a nice subtle carbonation. The finish however is both bitter and grainy with an unpleasant aftertaste.

Overall this beer was a big disappointment. Perhaps people that are die hard rye beer lovers would enjoy it, but for me it seemed like it was really heavy handed. Personally, I will chock this one up to being a poor beer from an excellent brewery.

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.0 A: First pour yielded about 6 fingers of head. Unfortunately the retention on this is pretty good so the subsequent pours took a long ass time. Clear orange amber color. Head is mainly frothy with great retention and plenty of lacing. Score would be higher if the first pour wasn't so grossly heady.

4.0 S: Certainly delivers on the hops. Pine, grapefruit, orange, and some mango. Earthy rye can still be detected under all of the hops along with a touch of toffee and some breadiness. Yeast is a little unclean. Pretty good.

3.0 T: Hops all the way in the taste as well, but I'll cover everything else first. Earthy and yeasty. Again, the yeastiness is a bit unclean. Rye can barely be distinguished that well under the hops and neither can anything else. As for the hops, this is blisteringly bitter, but there's plenty of hop flavor in there as well. Pine, grapefruit, and orange again with mango being more pronounced.

4.0 M: Medium body. Too much carbonation initially, but I let some of it dissipate. Good creaminess with a bitter aftertaste.

2.5 D: I wouldn't recommend this for anyone other than a seasoned IPA drinker and even then it's still a bit tough to get all the way through. Mouth destroyingly bitter. Good hop flavor, but much of the rest is covered up by hops.

Rich's Rye from Short's Brewing Company