Rich's Rye - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: Deuane on 06-19-2009

1.95/5  rDev -44.8%

Pours a golden straw color with a huge 3 finger off-white head and ample lacing down the glass.

Smells like a BMC product really. Not too pleasant. Very grainy with little distinction.

Starts off with a pretty good rye spiciness. Fades into a piney resinous finish. A bit of astringency as well as it finishes extremely bitter. Oxidation shows up in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel is somewhat light and carb level is good.

Beginning to think I just don't like Short's. There's nothing about this beer that appeals to me.

Thanks for another Short's beer, Thorpe.

A: The beer pours a clear golden straw color with a finger of white head.

S: Smells almost skunky. The aroma is just very...bad. There is an almost burnt rubber aroma to it. Some piney hops, maybe a little bit of rye and bready malt.

T: There is a bit of floral hop character and some piney hop flavor and bitterness. Otherwise, it tastes like it smells: some skunk and burnt rubber. A little bit of citrus peel on the finish.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Just an atrocious aroma. The flavor was better, but not by much.

2.21/5  rDev -37.4%

Something went horribly "a rye" with this beer.
It poured a darker amber color with decent light brown head and tiny bubbles of carbonation. The aroma strikes you hard in the nose with large doses of spice and citrus and grassy notes (not pleasant ones) from rye and hops. It smells harsh, is one of the best ways to put this.

Now, just to clarify, I love me some hops. I love hops in rye beers. I think Founders Red's Rye PA is an excellent beer. But they went overboard somewhere in the hopping of this beer. It is horribly astringent. It sucks everything from your mouth and makes you feel like you are sucking a dry, stale hop. This is not a "hophead's beer." This is an example of how hops go wrong. Forget any sort of balance, spice and poor hop execution is this beer. No balance to speak of.

In addition to the astringincy the mouthfeel is also downright chewy and not at all pleasant. The drinkability is awful for one bottle, so what was a candidate for a quaffable beer at 4.9 just doesn't cut it. This was not a beer for me. But, just to temper, still love Short's! Keep pushing your envelope...hopefully in other directions.

2.48/5  rDev -29.7%

Thanks to kzoobrew for sending me this one!

Pours a hazy honey orange with a 2 inch puffy bone colored head that settles to a small cap. Foamy rings of lace stick to the sides of the glass on the drink down. Smell is of citrus zest, malt, and some rye aromas but all very subdued. Taste is mainly of watery grains and a medicinal bitterness. Pretty gross in my opinion. The bitterness lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation and is somewhat flat. Overall, this is not a very good beer as the bitterness is very bracing and medicinal in nature.

2.51/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

I didn't sip sip sip sip savor this one, because I honestly didn't want to. Even an aggressive pour didn't result in much head, even though there seemed to be good carbonation levels in solution. It was a pretty attractive deep brownish-gold color, and nice and clear. The aromas were there but pretty basic - bitterness, some rye aromas, as expected.

The taste almost took a back seat to the thick, gross, mouthfeel - completely not what I would expect in this style. It was quite syrupy, something I'd expect from a 10% DIPA, not from something like this. The taste was, well, pretty straightforward. Bitter hops, overpowering rye, astringent finish.

Yet another stinker from Short's, one of the most disappointing brewers in my state.

2.66/5  rDev -24.6%

A- Slow rising bubbles build up a two finger frothy white head. Copper body looks syrupy as I pour it from the bottle, very strange.

S- Yikes, tons and tons of hops, but it's incredibly bitter smelling. Nothing but pine and a bit of solvency. Not really impressive. A bit of a sweet backbone to it, but it really adds nothing to the brew.

T- Hmm, this things way too bitter. It's like biting into a pine cone. I get quick shots of a marker like taste in my mouth (solvent). This really isn't that good.

M- Sort of thick and syrupy, just like the pour alluded to. A touch of carbonation, but not much.

D- This beer wasn't horrible, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. It needs either more of a malt presence or less of a hop presence. The bitterness of the hops was too overwhelming.

2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect pint.

A: Viscous pour yields a 1.5 finger fluffy, light peach colored head with decent retention. Beer is a cloudy orange. Lacing is faint and stringy with little cling.

S: Belgian yeast, mandarin orange, and other citrus fruits tickle the nose. Bready with the slightest bit of cane sugar in the back along with some grassiness. Fruit is abundant but the other aromas are rather muted.

T: Muted citrus fruitiness with a bit of bark upfront. Super waxy hop bitterness explodes in the middle and lingers all the way to the end, covering everything else. Holy crap this is hoppy... Finish is more of the same. Aftertaste is a lingering, filmy hop residue all over the inside of my cheeks and tongue.

M: Medium to full bodied, lightly carbonated, and viscous and heavy in the mouth. Chewy and dense all the way through with a messy finish and an aftertaste that lingers long after the beer is gone.

D: I want to state upfront that I like hoppy beers for the most part. That being said, this brew is beyond hoppy. This is cheek gouging, enamel destroying, tongue blisteringly bitter and I can't take it. I appreciate and understand the effort but this is just too much for me in every way.

2.87/5  rDev -18.7%

appearance: golden color with white head that dissipates quickly. Fair amount of lacing.

smell: smells like most IPAs, strong hop smell with the addition of floral and rye smells.

taste: an interesting, if a little asymmetrical, pairing of creamy bitterness.

mouthfeel: if you can get over the taste itself, the mouthfeel isn't terrible, just doesn't particularly impress.

worth a try if only to observe the combination Short's achieves with a smooth, creamy base taste and a strong finish of hoppy bitterness.

2.89/5  rDev -18.1%

Has a pour that appeared to be syrupy from lack of carbonation, gave an off-white head that was small and collapsed quickly.

Aromas of grassy and piney hops with toasted malt, some caramel and bread on the nose.

Flavors are the same as the aromas, medium or so bitterness.

Mouthfeel was sort weird from low carbonation, beer coated the palate and it would have helped to have more carbonation, this beer almost felt like a Barley Wine in the mouth.

I need to try another bottle with better carbonation.

2.92/5  rDev -17.3%

I bought a bottle of Rich's Rye today for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I haven't had anything hoppy in a little while so since the label says it's a super hopped golden rye beer I hope it will quench my thirst for hops. No visible bottling date but I know it's a fresh 2011 vintage. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label on this beer is pretty simple, just a picture of a mans face, to me it looks like Maury Povich. It poured a nice looking golden yellow color just like the bottle stated. It had two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing.

S- The aroma is pretty much a half and half mixture of rye and hops. The rye has an earthy grainy aroma with a little bit of signature rye spice. The hops are slightly floral but the citrus hops shine through the most in the aroma. There was also some grapefruit and pine aromas along with a slight bit of pineapple. I like the way that the fruity aromas blend with the heavy rye presence in this beer.

T- The flavor of this beer is pretty much dominated by the rye. All those earthy and spicy flavors that you get from beers that are heavy on the rye are present and pretty much make up the majority of the taste of this beer. The hops are a lot lighter then I expected and only impart a very slight floral and citrus taste that is pretty easy to miss. The aftertaste was pretty damn bitter, much more bitter then I was expecting, it seems like the hops were used more for it's bitterness and aroma than it's flavor.

M- Slightly crisp, medium bodied and medium carbonation, I would like a little more carbonation but I'm not going to bitch about it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty lack luster beer. I knew going in to this that it was a Rye beer, I just wasn't expecting the rye to be that bold and dominating, I didn't hate all that rye but it could have been toned down a little. The hops imparted lots of nice aromas but when it came to the flavor all it did was add a really heavy Imperial Pilsner like bitterness to it that I thought was way too much for this beer. I don't think I would purchase this beer again it just really didn't do it for me. If you are a die hard rye fan you may want to seek this out but other then that it doesn't have much going for it. I wasn't all that impressed with this beer and out of all the different short's beers I have tried this is my least favorite to date, I guess you can't win em all Short's.

2.96/5  rDev -16.1%

Thanks to TurdFurgison for this one. Dated 6/11/10. Served in my Stone pint glass.

A - Pours about 80% foam - an auspicious start. Eventually settles to a thick, chunky, cap with pervasive splotchy lace. Definite unfiltered look to it, with some sediment in there - it was hard to decant with the ridiculous carbonation. Golden caramel color that is fairly attractive.

S - Zesty and spicy noble hops, rye, grain husks. Lots of soap and notes of plastic and wax as well. Not so good here.

T - Taste is heavy with hop bitterness, but not a lot of hop flavor - maybe a touch of citrus. Thankfully the off flavors found in the nose are gone, but there's just not a lot going on. Bready malt character with rye notes. The bitterness is harsher up front than in the aftertaste, which is unusual.

M - Carbonation is medium, body is fairly smooth and creamy, with some light residual stickiness. Obviously, there's no heat to be found in this 4.9% beer.

D - I didn't have a problem finishing the bottle, but it's a pretty underwhelming Short's offering. Perhaps it was better in June when it likely had more hop aroma. Stick with Huma-Lupa-Licious.

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

Rich’s Rye pours a nice golden amber color with an attractive bone colored head. The head has both excellent retention and lacing ability. As I watch the small trails of bubbles slowly make their way to the top, I realize that this is probably the best looking Short’s beer I have ever seen.

The aroma is a battle royal between the spicy, earthy rye and citrusy hops. Rye is certainly playing a big role, but I also am picking up some nice lemon grass, grapefruit and pine aromas in the back. There is a layer of malty sweetness as well that makes the whole bouquet a bit more fruity.

I take a sip and my underlying fears are confirmed. This beer has a lot of rye in it and it is too much rye for my liking. My palate is assaulted with the spicy and astringent rye. It is so prevalent that the hops are left mostly obscured. The malt is also pretty much blown away and I am finding the finish to be very bitter. Really the only part of the flavor that I like is the very beginning of each sip when my mouth is filled with a slightly sweet and hoppy rye flavor. After that it goes downhill fast.

The body is medium with a pretty nice mouthfeel that has a nice subtle carbonation. The finish however is both bitter and grainy with an unpleasant aftertaste.

Overall this beer was a big disappointment. Perhaps people that are die hard rye beer lovers would enjoy it, but for me it seemed like it was really heavy handed. Personally, I will chock this one up to being a poor beer from an excellent brewery.

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

poured form the bottle a little too aggressively, a nice clay colored rye red with an ultra huge and bubbly three finger head leaving at least as much lace.

aroma of orange peel, grapefruit and hot spices.

super sharp and bitter from the first sip, and the bitterness doesn't fade, but instead, expands on the palate. not being a fan of super-bitter, this one just isn't for me - though it's not a bad beer.

fairly thin, highly carbonated, very bitter to the tongue.

drinkable - no, not very.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a hazy dark gold, bordering on copper. Head is pretty decent as is retention.

Pretty unpleasant. Initially it gave me a flashback of when I was getting into beer and trying a lot of beers with compromised quality. It smells mildly skunky as well. If you smell a little deeper, some richness can be noted, but you have to get past the negative aspects first.

The taste isn't bad, and it's leagues above the aroma. The rye is considerably potent while at the same time, tastefully done. Hops are definitely there, and there's an acute pine flavor in the aftertaste that can't be missed (slightly like the imperial spruce pilsner they make). It has minor bready notes as well that round it out a bit.

The body is a tad better than average, but only a tad. Carbonation is done well, but the finish left a little to be desired.

Overall, if this beer could do anything about the aroma, it would be the easiest way to improve the brew. I found it took the whole experience down with it. The beer is pretty decent, but every sip introduces itself with a foul smell. I would have no problem having a few more of these if they did something to change it.

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%

Duvel Tulip

A: Copper color with light orange hues. One finger head, sticky lacing.
S: Slight spiciness, not sure if it is the hops or the rye. The smell overall I muted.
T: Spicy and bitter. I didnt expect the bitter kick from the nose. The bitterness is more harsh than smooth. Bitterness lingers.
M: One the thin side of medium mouthfeel Bitter dry finish.
O: This could have been much better if the bitterness as not so harsh. Lots of bitter without a lot of taste or aroma. I love Rye-IPAs but this one was a let down for me.

3.22/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into a Tulip Glass.

A - Pours a very nice Orange/Amber color with an inch of white head that leaves some nice lacing. A few yeast floaties on the bottom.

S - Awesome hop aroma, some grapefruit notes, rye, and citrus zest.

T - Extremely hoppy and bitter, it is overpowering. I barely get anything else, I get a little rye and citrus peel.

M - This stuff is very thick, definitely full bodied, chewy, and a decent amount of carbonation.

D - Got through about half of it, then I drained poured it, it way to bitter for me. If you like extremely hoppy, bitter beers, then this one is for you, but not for me.

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.0 A: First pour yielded about 6 fingers of head. Unfortunately the retention on this is pretty good so the subsequent pours took a long ass time. Clear orange amber color. Head is mainly frothy with great retention and plenty of lacing. Score would be higher if the first pour wasn't so grossly heady.

4.0 S: Certainly delivers on the hops. Pine, grapefruit, orange, and some mango. Earthy rye can still be detected under all of the hops along with a touch of toffee and some breadiness. Yeast is a little unclean. Pretty good.

3.0 T: Hops all the way in the taste as well, but I'll cover everything else first. Earthy and yeasty. Again, the yeastiness is a bit unclean. Rye can barely be distinguished that well under the hops and neither can anything else. As for the hops, this is blisteringly bitter, but there's plenty of hop flavor in there as well. Pine, grapefruit, and orange again with mango being more pronounced.

4.0 M: Medium body. Too much carbonation initially, but I let some of it dissipate. Good creaminess with a bitter aftertaste.

2.5 D: I wouldn't recommend this for anyone other than a seasoned IPA drinker and even then it's still a bit tough to get all the way through. Mouth destroyingly bitter. Good hop flavor, but much of the rest is covered up by hops.

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle with no alcohol information and no bottle date. Poured into Portsmouth pint.

A: Pours a hazy golden orange color. Lots of carbonation. Half finger bright white head. Dissipates quickly. Sticky lacing on the glass.

S: I get a good amount of bready malts. Also some sweetness from the hops. Not overly fruity though. Smells like a Shorts beer, yeast strain?

T: On the first sip, the mouth is dominated with the rye bitterness. There is a little hop bite on the tip of the tongue. Then the breadiness comes in the mid mouth. And a dry finish with a bitter after taste. The after taste is interesting to say the least.

M: Light to medium bodied with mouth coating.

O: C+ or B- on this one. It's another "interesting" beer from Short's. I guess this one is more drinkable to the fruity ones they make, but still not a fan.

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

Another Shorts beer from my Michigan homeboy Kbeals... shared this one with the Boise peeps... Thanks Kevin!!

Nice 2 finger head.. hazed lite amber brew.

Nose shows a sorta fruity hoppiness.. tropical fruits and plenty of citrus.

Flavor begins with a surprising bitterness.. a bit bready toward the front then blasted by the citrus hops and even a bit of floral hoppiness.

Pretty big carbonation given the only medium/lite body.

Thanks again Kevin.

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz bottle purchased in Grand Rapids 4 weeks ago and stored in my "IPA fridge". The label indicates this is a "super hopped golden rye beer" in text under a picture of Rich. The beer pours a light copper color with a fat 2 fingers of wettish tan foam.

It smells nice, rich with hops aromas that are floral and spicy, although the spiciness might come from the rye. Almost a detergent-like component to the smell that could charitably be called a citrus aroma, or uncharitably just lemon pledge. I opt for the former, but I could see it getting in the way of enjoyment for some.

The beer tastes kind of bland to me. There's definitely a lot of peppery rye but it's missing balance as there are no sweet flavors from the malts or fruitiness from the hops. Kind of a dud taste-wise. The body's a little heavier than anticipated too, odd at such a low ABV with so little sweetness. Worth a try but only once.

3.37/5  rDev -4.5%

Amber color with one finger of head that quickly settled to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left on the the glass. The aroma is a combination of rye malt and piney hops. Sort of has a Pine-Sol aroma. I do not know what happened to the flavor. Has an astrigent flavor that is hard to get past. The rye and hops do not work that well together. Maybe not the best combination of ingredients. The other malt does not show up. Medium body with a nice carbonation. Good texture. The flavor falls short. I would not buy this again.

3.41/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Almost clear amber in color. Forms about a half inch of tight bubbled white head. Decent retention. Leaves some patchy lacing.

S: Interesting aroma. Smells heavily of toast and brown rice. There is a slight earthy pine scent as well mixed with a little burnt plastic.

T: More toasted malts and rye. Earthy. Assertive rye spice. Flavor falls off quickly leaving a strong astringent bitterness and little else.

M: Lighter side of medium. Appropriate carbonation. Astringent bitterness and spice.

O: Not so sure about this beer. The flavor and aroma profiles are quite limited, but what is present is very bold and assertive. Not bad, but I think I'd pass on having another.

3.46/5  rDev -2%

Clear light gold body with white fluffy head. The color looks like apple juice. The lacing is generous.

There's not much going on in the smell. Light spicey rye.

The flavor is bread, grain and spice. There's a light hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is slick with light carbonation.

This was a decent beer, but not much going on in it. Shorts usually pushes styles to extremes and this was was rather ordinary.

3.46/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to lurchingbeast for sending this to me recently.

Pours a hazy dark golden orange color with a one finger white foam head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Streaks and spots of lace left behind.

Very earthy aroma with a soil/vegetal presence as well as some floral and earthy hops.  Surprisingly strong malt presence in the nose with some rye, caramel and biscuit.  Smells similar to a farmhouse but a bit more tame with more hops.

Medium bodied with a strong earthy hop presence up front that provides dry bitterness that lingers over the malt backbone into a slightly dry finish.  Floral and earthy with some pine and soil notes.  Vegetal with a funky farmhouse feel countered by a sweet malt backbone which is a touch too strong.  Hints of rye, caramel toffee and biscuit.  An interesting experiment but it's somewhere in between a hoppy golden ake, rye pa and a farmhouse ale.  Abv well masked and easy to drink but a strange combo of flavors.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a fairly standard and non-descript amber/brownish color with a small amount of head that leaves minimal lacing. Aroma is highly roasty with some strong malty notes coming through as well. Flavor is somewhat similar but with a distinct bitter hop presence that becomes the primary flavor. Mouthfeel is nice - smooth and not overly sticky. Decent beer, but not something I'd necessarily seek out again.

Rich's Rye from Short's Brewing Company