Rich's Rye - Short's Brewing Company

Rich's RyeRich's Rye

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Deuane on 06-19-2009)
Florida9

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Almost clear amber in color. Forms about a half inch of tight bubbled white head. Decent retention. Leaves some patchy lacing.

S: Interesting aroma. Smells heavily of toast and brown rice. There is a slight earthy pine scent as well mixed with a little burnt plastic.

T: More toasted malts and rye. Earthy. Assertive rye spice. Flavor falls off quickly leaving a strong astringent bitterness and little else.

M: Lighter side of medium. Appropriate carbonation. Astringent bitterness and spice.

O: Not so sure about this beer. The flavor and aroma profiles are quite limited, but what is present is very bold and assertive. Not bad, but I think I'd pass on having another.

08-14-2011 00:38:57 | More by Florida9
Vonerichs

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

Clear light gold body with white fluffy head. The color looks like apple juice. The lacing is generous.

There's not much going on in the smell. Light spicey rye.

The flavor is bread, grain and spice. There's a light hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is slick with light carbonation.

This was a decent beer, but not much going on in it. Shorts usually pushes styles to extremes and this was was rather ordinary.

08-08-2011 02:08:12 | More by Vonerichs
FosterJM

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%

694th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
12 oz

Thanks to Kzoobrew for this one

Richs rye

App-  a darker yellow with a low bubble activity but had a big puffy two finger head.

Smell-  A nice small damp bitter hoppy beer with a little rye behind it

Taste-  Much more hop bitter than I was expecting.  The rye creeps in on the back and has a small balanced flavor.

Mouth-  A nice ample medium body with a medium carbonation.  Nice hop bitter on the end.

Drink-  a nice little beer.  Hoppy, bitter rye forward. So far best shorts beer I have had.

07-31-2011 04:46:40 | More by FosterJM
Roke87

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev +2%

12oz. bottle, chilled and poured into my trusty Ironspike pilsner glass.

Appearance- Pours a hazy copper colour with a very minimal maybe a pinky fingers worth of white head that quickly dissipates to a thin ring around the glass leaving average lacing throughout till finish.

Smell- Somewhat muted as far as the aromas go, lots of bready malts, bitter hop aromas coming through, and a distinct rye smell as well.

Taste- Is very much so dominated by the rye, lots and lots of spicy bitter rye flavours coming through right away on the palate, some mild bready malt flavours, and some mild hops peek their way through in there as well.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with average carbonation, this is a very bitter and rye dominated beer that finishes somewhat dry.

Overall- I really wanted to like this one, but unfortunately apart from the rye and slight hoppy flavours there was not a whole lot going on here. The aromas were a bit more promising but the tastes just didn’t come through the same, maybe people who love their rye beers would really appreciate this one but I just couldn’t find too much out of it other than the rye and slight hoppy aromas. Would not go out of my way to get this one again and definitely not a top offering from a great brewery like Short’s in my opinion.

07-31-2011 03:49:41 | More by Roke87
jmich24

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

Duvel Tulip

A: Copper color with light orange hues. One finger head, sticky lacing.
S: Slight spiciness, not sure if it is the hops or the rye. The smell overall I muted.
T: Spicy and bitter. I didnt expect the bitter kick from the nose. The bitterness is more harsh than smooth. Bitterness lingers.
M: One the thin side of medium mouthfeel Bitter dry finish.
O: This could have been much better if the bitterness as not so harsh. Lots of bitter without a lot of taste or aroma. I love Rye-IPAs but this one was a let down for me.

07-14-2011 02:57:07 | More by jmich24
chunkyboy

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

A= Amber/ Copper in color

S= You can really smell the rye as well as floral hops

T= The rye hits you right away. Can also taste grapefruit.
A little bit of hoppy bitterness at the end.

M= A decent amount of carbonation.

Overall= There are other beers from Shorts that I do like better, but like most of their beers, I thought that it was pretty good.

07-12-2011 18:34:44 | More by chunkyboy
WoodBrew

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

the fifth beer in a series brought by my Bro-in-Law was the Rich's Rye...LUV U BRO!!!!

The appearance clear golden color with thin white head. The nose is dominated by pine. The taste is quite unique the rye seems to be fighting the hops as to who will win the pallete cling....in the end the bitter grapefruit taste lingers. The mouthfeel is good....but it is an explosion of flavor. Definitely worth a try!!!

07-02-2011 02:59:44 | More by WoodBrew
DannyDan

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

A. Pours out a very nice copper color with great retention and some of the best lacing I ever saw on a beer mug. Very impressive. Also has nice carbonation.
S. I get some citrus and floral hops and rye
T. First thing I taste is floral hops followed by some sweet malts and finishing off with some citrus, primarily orange and grapefruit. Also get some rye lingering in the back.
M./O. The mouthfeel is very smooth and slightly creamy and overall a very enjoyable beer to drink.

06-25-2011 08:33:37 | More by DannyDan
GRPunk

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A- A conservative pour created a 1-finger, khaki head that dropped to a nice film and left wide rings all about the glass. It had a rich, golden body that was clean enough to exhibit light-medium carbonation.

S- A wonderful blend of citrus hops, distinct rye (kinda' like the current Dr. Pepper commercial, the only descriptor is itself), and some sugary sweet base malts.

T- It starts slowly and builds to a real burst of flavor. As the aroma suggests, there's a ton of rye and grapefruit-like hops. Grainy malts hold it all together. Hops come through to clean up the finish. Just the right side of "over-done" with the rye characteristics.

M- Bone dry from the hop and rye combination. Moderate carbonation. Pleasantly chewy.

O- It's another bold offering from Short's (experimental even?). It's not a beer I'm going to drink in quantity, but it certainly fits the "super hopped golden rye beer" to a "t." As a big fan of rye bread (pastrami or ruebens anyone?), I really like this brew.

06-19-2011 18:20:30 | More by GRPunk
StoutHunter

2.85/5  rDev -19.3%

I bought a bottle of Rich's Rye today for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I haven't had anything hoppy in a little while so since the label says it's a super hopped golden rye beer I hope it will quench my thirst for hops. No visible bottling date but I know it's a fresh 2011 vintage. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label on this beer is pretty simple, just a picture of a mans face, to me it looks like Maury Povich. It poured a nice looking golden yellow color just like the bottle stated. It had two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing.

S- The aroma is pretty much a half and half mixture of rye and hops. The rye has an earthy grainy aroma with a little bit of signature rye spice. The hops are slightly floral but the citrus hops shine through the most in the aroma. There was also some grapefruit and pine aromas along with a slight bit of pineapple. I like the way that the fruity aromas blend with the heavy rye presence in this beer.

T- The flavor of this beer is pretty much dominated by the rye. All those earthy and spicy flavors that you get from beers that are heavy on the rye are present and pretty much make up the majority of the taste of this beer. The hops are a lot lighter then I expected and only impart a very slight floral and citrus taste that is pretty easy to miss. The aftertaste was pretty damn bitter, much more bitter then I was expecting, it seems like the hops were used more for it's bitterness and aroma than it's flavor.

M- Slightly crisp, medium bodied and medium carbonation, I would like a little more carbonation but I'm not going to bitch about it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty lack luster beer. I knew going in to this that it was a Rye beer, I just wasn't expecting the rye to be that bold and dominating, I didn't hate all that rye but it could have been toned down a little. The hops imparted lots of nice aromas but when it came to the flavor all it did was add a really heavy Imperial Pilsner like bitterness to it that I thought was way too much for this beer. I don't think I would purchase this beer again it just really didn't do it for me. If you are a die hard rye fan you may want to seek this out but other then that it doesn't have much going for it. I wasn't all that impressed with this beer and out of all the different short's beers I have tried this is my least favorite to date, I guess you can't win em all Short's.

06-19-2011 03:10:22 | More by StoutHunter
zoso1967

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

Rich’s Rye pours a nice golden amber color with an attractive bone colored head. The head has both excellent retention and lacing ability. As I watch the small trails of bubbles slowly make their way to the top, I realize that this is probably the best looking Short’s beer I have ever seen.

The aroma is a battle royal between the spicy, earthy rye and citrusy hops. Rye is certainly playing a big role, but I also am picking up some nice lemon grass, grapefruit and pine aromas in the back. There is a layer of malty sweetness as well that makes the whole bouquet a bit more fruity.

I take a sip and my underlying fears are confirmed. This beer has a lot of rye in it and it is too much rye for my liking. My palate is assaulted with the spicy and astringent rye. It is so prevalent that the hops are left mostly obscured. The malt is also pretty much blown away and I am finding the finish to be very bitter. Really the only part of the flavor that I like is the very beginning of each sip when my mouth is filled with a slightly sweet and hoppy rye flavor. After that it goes downhill fast.

The body is medium with a pretty nice mouthfeel that has a nice subtle carbonation. The finish however is both bitter and grainy with an unpleasant aftertaste.

Overall this beer was a big disappointment. Perhaps people that are die hard rye beer lovers would enjoy it, but for me it seemed like it was really heavy handed. Personally, I will chock this one up to being a poor beer from an excellent brewery.

06-18-2011 18:23:46 | More by zoso1967
mgbickel

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into a perfect pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. The pour yeilded a single finger of pearl head...quick dissipation but massive clinger. Apple cider yellow body with a deeper center that approaches orange.

The nose has lots of toasted grains...but the rye is dominant! You can almost smell the bitterness...

Wow...the taste is a massive bomb of rye...the rye(est) beer I can remember. A bready flavor joins the rye in the center and another huge flavor finishes the drink...a bitter, bitter hops.

The mouth feel is somewhere between medium and light with lots of carbonation and a dry finish.

I love unique offerings and Short's is always king here. Rich'e Rye falls in line...well worth a try!

06-15-2011 23:42:49 | More by mgbickel
Ehrnstrom

2.83/5  rDev -19.8%

appearance: golden color with white head that dissipates quickly. Fair amount of lacing.

smell: smells like most IPAs, strong hop smell with the addition of floral and rye smells.

taste: an interesting, if a little asymmetrical, pairing of creamy bitterness.

mouthfeel: if you can get over the taste itself, the mouthfeel isn't terrible, just doesn't particularly impress.

worth a try if only to observe the combination Short's achieves with a smooth, creamy base taste and a strong finish of hoppy bitterness.

06-11-2011 00:27:24 | More by Ehrnstrom
techfed87

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours quite a large head. Color is a cloudy amber.

Smell is lightly malty and surprisingly hoppy.

First sip has most of the characteristics you would expect from an IPA; however with a little bit extra. With my experience with rye beers limited to rye stouts, the addition to an IPA is new to me. It smooths some of the hop bitterness off, adding an additional layer of flavor ontop of what would already be an excellent IPA.

A very tasty beer, try it sometime!

01-01-2011 03:51:34 | More by techfed87
Wisconsinality

Wisconsin

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to MilwaukeeCrusher for this one.

12oz bottle poured into Delirium tulip.

A- May or may not be infected. Gushed upon opening and probably yielded about 6-7 oz. Pours a burnt orange with a good amount of sediment in there as well to go along with a huge 3 fingers worth of head that sticks around forever.

S- The rye and hops are on the forefront to go along with some orange and citrus notes.

T- Big, bitter hops, mostly of the citrus variety and the rye comes in to even it out a little bit. The malt base isn't very present. There is also a little bit of spice and one other that I can't really put my finger on, maybe wheat?

M- Medium bodied with a bunch of carbonation and very dry on the finish. A good amount of bitterness from the abundance of hops.

D- I was worried upon opening that this may be an infamous infected beer from Short's but after tasting I don't think it is. Good all around, I just wish about a third of it wasn't lost down the sink.

12-12-2010 00:39:28 | More by Wisconsinality
dfillius

4.53/5  rDev +28.3%

Poured into a pint glass
A: Aggressive pour yields 1/2 finger of thin white head looks like it's from a cask conditioned ale. Pretty, hazy dark red amber liquid. Slightly more head and better retention would be nice.
S: Really pleasant citrus/grapefruit hoppiness. Slight caramel. Wowzers this smells really refreshing. Some fruity esters, blood orange.
T: Wow, really bitter. The malt does come in for a bit, but the bitterness fights back to win the day. Grapefruit, white fir needle, not much more than the hops. Maybe the rye is noticeable. Similar aroma to blood orange wheat wine. I love how hoppy it is.
M: So bitter. DIPA style bitterness. May even stand with the hoppiest beers I've had. A tad flat, but that is not really that bad.
D: Great! I'd love another pint and would buy a sixer definitely.

11-13-2010 19:34:38 | More by dfillius
flexabull

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Second Shorts beer courtesy of mikesgroove, thanks again!

Pours a bright and hazy orange color with a huge head, and good lacing.

Aromas are of candied oranges, grapefruits, and apricots.

Taste is of light rye bread, caramel, and sweet cream up front. The rye and malts are there, then quickly gone, then the bitter hops kick in, and last all the way until the dry finish. Hop flavors are mostly bitter grapefruit, and lemon zest.

Mouthfeel is clean, smooth, and simple, with lively carbonation. A little fleeting on the finish though.

Drinkabiliry is good. I'm a fan of this one, a very flavorful beer, that doesn't kick you upside the head with a ton of alcohol.

11-12-2010 05:02:20 | More by flexabull
joshuacavett

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Super hopped golden malt. Dirty road with a dry mouth. Really carbonated, spewed over glass when poured. Average for the most part - hints of rye bread and saurkraut. Just poured the second half slowly & it overflowed again. Not really all that great of beer by an amazing brewery.

11-12-2010 00:02:51 | More by joshuacavett
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

Another Shorts beer from my Michigan homeboy Kbeals... shared this one with the Boise peeps... Thanks Kevin!!

Nice 2 finger head.. hazed lite amber brew.

Nose shows a sorta fruity hoppiness.. tropical fruits and plenty of citrus.

Flavor begins with a surprising bitterness.. a bit bready toward the front then blasted by the citrus hops and even a bit of floral hoppiness.

Pretty big carbonation given the only medium/lite body.

Thanks again Kevin.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3/3

11-02-2010 07:44:35 | More by JohnGalt1
Thorpe429

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours a light golden copper with a white head and some good lacing. Smells nice with nice, zesty hops and a bit of malt. Taste brings forward a good amount of hoppy bitterness and some sligt spice. Feel is nice with good carbonation levels. Drinks quite well. I always seem to enjoy what Short's does with hops.

10-11-2010 00:20:18 | More by Thorpe429
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

so i decided last night to break out 10, thats right 10 new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

The pour was a nice light amber color that was more then adequately carbonated which led to a really nice looking head of about two inches on the top of the glass that never did fade much beyond that.

Aroma was hard to find at first, a bit let down here. Nice citrus hops were located, clean, crisp, with a noted spiciness to them which gave it a nice balance and a bit of an interesting tone, but I had to look to hard to find it. Same problem here as we moved over into the flavor, just did not hold up as well as I would have hoped. It had elements of a bright, clean flavor, notes of citrus, and light bready malts, but just did not do it for me. Really light body and good carbonation led to it certainly being drinkable, just not outstanding.

Overall a good offering, but it could have used a bit more to round it out.

10-03-2010 15:11:26 | More by mikesgroove
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

Thanks to TurdFurgison for this one. Dated 6/11/10. Served in my Stone pint glass.

A - Pours about 80% foam - an auspicious start. Eventually settles to a thick, chunky, cap with pervasive splotchy lace. Definite unfiltered look to it, with some sediment in there - it was hard to decant with the ridiculous carbonation. Golden caramel color that is fairly attractive.

S - Zesty and spicy noble hops, rye, grain husks. Lots of soap and notes of plastic and wax as well. Not so good here.

T - Taste is heavy with hop bitterness, but not a lot of hop flavor - maybe a touch of citrus. Thankfully the off flavors found in the nose are gone, but there's just not a lot going on. Bready malt character with rye notes. The bitterness is harsher up front than in the aftertaste, which is unusual.

M - Carbonation is medium, body is fairly smooth and creamy, with some light residual stickiness. Obviously, there's no heat to be found in this 4.9% beer.

D - I didn't have a problem finishing the bottle, but it's a pretty underwhelming Short's offering. Perhaps it was better in June when it likely had more hop aroma. Stick with Huma-Lupa-Licious.

10-01-2010 02:15:33 | More by MasterSki
BierFan

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Very explosive head on this one. I poured about 4 ounces of beer into the glass and ended up with one finger of hazy amber beer on the bottom and an overflowing head. I'm gonna assume this is just a bad bottle. Lots of rye and fruity hops in the smell and taste. Very full mouthfeel.

09-25-2010 04:18:33 | More by BierFan
Kegatron

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to splax23 for this in trade.

Thick pour on this, as it comes out a hazy copper, with a finger of slightly off-white head. This retains with a thin creamy layer of froth that leaves some rather robust looking spotty froth down the sides of the glass.

The aroma is floral and spicy smelling, with a certain amount of stickiness to it from the notes of rye, bread, caramel, and citrus. Unfortunately this is also tinged with that same damn plastic band-aid of-flavor that I just picked up in the bottle of Hangin' Frank before this. Fortunately it's not as pronounced as it was in that beer but it is noticeable.

The taste is spicy and bitter on the palate with notes of citrus peel and some lighter grapefruit character. Bready rye pulls up the backend, along with sweeter caramel malt that offers up some balance. The finish is spicy at first but then gets progressively more dry and bitter on the tongue. The mouthfeel is mellow creaminess that sits on top of an extra thick syrupy feel. This does ease up as things warm but I'm not sure that I've ever felt a slushy body on a lighter beer like I did on this one. Very interesting.

This was certainly not a bad hoppy Rye beer here. The band-aid smell in the aroma pissed me off but is didn't absolutely ruin things or anything. The heavy body on this was really unique though and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it. I would definitely like to give this one a shot on draft sometime though to see how it compares.

09-23-2010 17:14:49 | More by Kegatron
DavoleBomb

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.0 A: First pour yielded about 6 fingers of head. Unfortunately the retention on this is pretty good so the subsequent pours took a long ass time. Clear orange amber color. Head is mainly frothy with great retention and plenty of lacing. Score would be higher if the first pour wasn't so grossly heady.

4.0 S: Certainly delivers on the hops. Pine, grapefruit, orange, and some mango. Earthy rye can still be detected under all of the hops along with a touch of toffee and some breadiness. Yeast is a little unclean. Pretty good.

3.0 T: Hops all the way in the taste as well, but I'll cover everything else first. Earthy and yeasty. Again, the yeastiness is a bit unclean. Rye can barely be distinguished that well under the hops and neither can anything else. As for the hops, this is blisteringly bitter, but there's plenty of hop flavor in there as well. Pine, grapefruit, and orange again with mango being more pronounced.

4.0 M: Medium body. Too much carbonation initially, but I let some of it dissipate. Good creaminess with a bitter aftertaste.

2.5 D: I wouldn't recommend this for anyone other than a seasoned IPA drinker and even then it's still a bit tough to get all the way through. Mouth destroyingly bitter. Good hop flavor, but much of the rest is covered up by hops.

09-21-2010 21:29:33 | More by DavoleBomb