Strawberry Short's Cake - Short's Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 413 | Reviews: 142
Reviews by OWSLEY069:
4.29/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours a reddish/ copper color with a light tan head. In the aroma, dehydrated strawberries. In the taste, dry strawberries, kind of like the taste of Special K Red Berries cereal. A small bite and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry, sugary strawberry aftertaste. True to name, and quite nice dryness of the fruit.

3.99/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottle received as an extra.

Pours a jammy looking red, not very dark, or very light, right in the middle. There's a half inch head, with a small amount of lacing.

Smells quite like fresh strawberries, they translated the flavor pretty well. I am also picking up some vanilla.

The taste is similar. The wonderful fresh strawberry flavor, like sweet jam, is the overwhelming flavor, but I am getting some vanilla flavor that brings whipped cream to mind. I am not getting a whole lot "cake" flavor, however. This is really one-note, but luckily, I like that note.

This one is fairly light bodied, with a sweet, slightly sticky mouthfeel, and a lower level of carbonation. I'm glad the carbonation is lower, or this might have approached fruit soda territory.

A very interesting and tasty beer from Short's, a great fruit beer.

3.93/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Another experimental Shorts brew, another anxious me, waiting patiently all year to finally indulge. Red, not quite dark enough to be called ruby or crimson, rather it's just an ominous red color, with even a little bit of orange at the edges. Mild clarity with only a slight haze, a soapy film rests on top without growing large enough to qualify as a true head.

Pure strawberry juiciness comes gushing out of the glass as I bring my nose forth. Sweetness is present, almost like some residual sugars, but nothing that's going to rot your teeth out. Hefty malts lay down a bready aroma that undercuts the strawberry near the end. There's a mild creaminess here and there, also kind of sugary in character. A fruity explosion, no doubt. It actually smells slightly reminiscent of the beer's namesake.

The taste is a little more mild in terms of downright fruity sweetness than the aroma, and that may actually turn out to be a good thing. More strawberry puree and a good amount of backing creaminess with a touch of sugary, milky sweetness to travel alongside. Yeah, it's sweet. Of course it's sweet - it's called "Strawberry Shorts Cake" for Christ's sake. What did you expect? But, it's not overwhelming. It's sweet in a light, dessert-y kind of way.

The malt provides the breadiness that controls the entire "cake" aspect. It's certainly bready and doughy, and mixed with the mild residual sugars, I guess I can see where you'd pull "cake" from. It is pretty biscuity. Some light whipped cream and granulated sugar mixed with tingly strawberry juice in the finish. Lighter bodied, as you'd expect from a 5% ABV fruit beer, with decent carbonation and a mouth feel that's not as sticky as you might think.

Well, well, well... I was a bit nervous going into this one (albeit still excited) but things turned out well after all. This beer is basically exactly what it states. Strawberries, biscuit and bread malt, and some creamy sweetness. Strawberry short cake, right? It's sweet, it's dessert-like, and it's a nice way to compliment a hefty dinner. I enjoyed this one quite a bit, and it's one of the better Michigan fruit beers out there, if you ask me.

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%

Reviewed from notes written on 12/5/10.

Strawberry Short's Cake has a hazy gold color with a beautiful strawberry-red tint, sitting pretty in my snifter. An extremely light khaki, half-finger head fades swiftly and leaves a hazy film atop the beer. Carbonation bubbles are few and far between and move at a medium jaunt up my glass. The lacing is okay and is somewhat globby and sporadic.

Strawberry takes center stage in the smell profile, with the milk sugar contributing a cramy dairy sweetness to the aroma. It is really a lovely scent and smells pretty much exactly as it should - strawberry short cake in beer form.

The taste does not live up to the moniker as much as the smell does. At first landing on my palate, the beer tastes like a straight-up golden ale with a hint of strawberry, but then the creamy milk sugar kicks in and highlight the strawberry taste. It comes really close to tasting like its name, but lacks the richness of the cake component.

The mouthfeel is light and crisp initially, then it transitions into a pretty creamy, medium-bodied feel. The finish is a bit empty, as the bottom drops out of the body at the end.

I will enjoy this beer every once in awhile when I am craving something sweet and liquid. It is well done for what it is, missing the mark by just a hair. I do not think that I could session this because of its sweetness, and it does not scream "I am great! You have to have me again!"

notes from 7/26/10; no freshness date but pretty fresh bottle

Pours reddish brown with minimal, quickly dissipating head.

Sweet strawberry dominates, more like strawberry jam than plain fruit; just a hint of biscuit malt.

Nice bright taste. Not as sweet as a feared it may be. Taste actually has a bit of tartness from the strawberry and some slight biscuit taste.

Moderate mouthfeel; slightly sticky but pleasant.

Good drinkability, especially on a hot summer day.

Thanks to RBlaszak for sharing this bottle. I have heard a lot about this beer so I am glad I got to try it. The beer pours a reddish-brown color with a large white head. The aroma is heavy on the strawberries with some caramel and bready malt. Very interesting. The flavor is more complex but just as good if not better. In addition to the strawberries, I get some caramel, graham crackers, vanilla and some light tartness. The fruit in the beer is very juicy and very enjoyable. I am not sure if the tartness is from an early infection or if it is intended, but it adds to the beer’s flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

(It should be noted that I had two of these beers, presumably from the same six pack. The other beer was drank a few days after the one I rated and it was badly infected and undrinkable).

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle from a 6 pack purchased in Ann Arbor as it came in off the delivery truck. Served in a snifter. Pours red-amber with very good clarity and small, shot-lived head.

An interesting fruit beer, with a bitter/sweet/tart taste tha leans a bit toward the sweet side, but leaving all 3 components apparent.
The strawberry smell and taste more like preserves than fresh berries and, while obvious, are nearly matched by the flavor of light malts. Aroma is too vegetative.

O: A fun and refreshing beer that's certainly worth trying.

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%

Another best in show for me at GTOM. Review from my program I just found in a stack of magazines! Had twice... served with a sliced strawberry and whipped cream on top.

Pours a hazy red with a beautiful pink head.

Smells like strawberry shortcake to a tee! Strawberries, sugar, cream and yellow cake.

Taste is precisely the same. There is a tiny bit of hops hidden here as it finishes fairly dry. Tart, refreshing, delicious!

4.09/5  rDev +12.7%

On-tap.

Pours a hazy bright amber color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of ripe strawberries with mild amounts of tartness and lactose sweetness.

Tastes very similar to how it smells, although the ratio of tartness to sweetness associated with the strawberries is not as good. Light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by large amounts of ripe and slightly sweet strawberry flavors. Midway through the sip the strawberry flavors become more tart and carry through to a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I was impressed with how easily this beer went down. A nice integration of fresh strawberry flavors makes this beer one of the best fruit beers I've had and one that's well worth a shot.

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was glad to be able to try this beer again after our Toledo tasting thanks to a friend of mine in MI.

This beer pours a dark orange-red color, about the color of blood orange, with a slight cloudiness to it. A nice, thick pinkish head forms tall and strong, sticking around and leaving patchy lacing in the liquid's wake.
Wow. Biscuity malt is just a touch buttery with plenty of lactose and sugar strawberries and cream in the aroma. If the flavor's like the aroma, this is the real deal.
The flavor is indeed just like the aroma. This one's as sweet as it should be without be cloying or overbearing. Imagine strawberry short cake. Eat a piece if you have some around. This pretty much tastes exactly the same. This is skillful brewing on display.
The body is just thick enough to give the reminiscence of angel food cake with a light nip up front giving way to a very clean smoothness.
I'll take another. Thanks to the guys at the tasting (frazbri, I think?) for making me need to try this one again.

3.17/5  rDev -12.7%

Many thanks to GordianKnot for the chance to taste this one. At the sight and name of the bottle, my manhood is in check, but I will try not to hold it against the beer. Poured from bottle into DFH snifter. At the opening of the bottle, there is a huge "POP" and a hiss, with a little bit of gusher action. Putting my nose into the bottle reveals a metallic aroma, and possibly some infection flavors. Pouring into the snifter, the head is out of control, full of cloudy fluffy head. Is this one infected? Smell- plastic hardcore. some sugary strawberry aroma, maybe like what you would get out of a Sara Lee strawberry pie filling box? It is artificial in nature. At second inspection, plastic is all I get.

Taste- better than I expected. I do get some real fruit flavors- and it is much more muted than I expected it to be. Was thinking by the nose that I would get some of the off putting flavors that were on the nose, but this strangely enough kind of works, and is pretty refreshing. It seems to be all about the fruit here- but not in a tart overdone type way. I might have even gotten some chewiness, perhaps a strawberry seed? I could be imagining that, it might just be a floatie that took on some sort of fruit flavor.

Overall, I don't hate this beer, and I was expecting to. I don't think I would seek it out again, but this was an interesting take on the fruit beer.

4.12/5  rDev +13.5%

Review from notes. Thanks to Jay for opening this one up, one of the beers from Shorts I have wanted to try the most.

A: Pours a slightly hazy amber with a slightly reddish tint to it. Small off-white head forms and lasts for a few moments, spotty lacing.

S: Wow, the aroma reminds me of strawberry filling, and definitely get a little bit of angel food cake and biscuity malt. There is a little vanilla too.

T: Very similar to the aroma, plenty of sugary strawberry with some biscuity malt. Very sweet, certainly reminds me of its namesake.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Easy drinking with a sweet finish.

O: Extremely impressed, spot on with the flavor. Had no problem drinking it, would love to try some of the other off the wall offerings from Shorts.

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Enjoyed on tap at the brewpub. Yes, strawberry delight fruit beer. Reddish colour with Caesar head, and some lace. Average mouthfeel.Strawberry aroma,surprisingly tasty as a fruit beer. Not too sweet,was getting lactose, appropriate carbonation. Yes, dessert.

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to jahuneyc for this one. 12oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Opens with a loud hiss. This one's a slow gusher... confirming previous reports of infection. Pours a monstrous 4 finger coarse, off-white head that bubbles away slowly. Beer is a cloudy dark grapefruit pulp. Lacing is blotchy and thick with great cling.

S: Nose is tart strawberries, vanilla, and a subtlely sweet cane sugar. Fruity and very appropriate given the name though not the most enticing.

T: Opens sweet and tart vanilla, cream, cinnamon, and strawberries. Milkiness drops away quickly, leaving just strawberry seeds with a hint of breadiness. This fades slowly at the end and finishes a bit yeasty with no aftertaste.

M: Light to medium bodied and highly carbonated. Very coarse and bubbly in the mouth and abrasive going down. Finish is slightly messy with near no aftertaste.

D: In terms of weird and off the wall beers, this is one of Short's rare successes. There is detectable infection here but it actually complements the flavors in the beer very well. A bit too carbonated at times though but definitely worth a try to see what this one is all about.

3.46/5  rDev -4.7%

Strawberry Short’s Cake is a dark copper color. Looks very hazy. Much moreso than I expected. It has a nice orange tint when held to light. Carbonation seems very active. The cap popped with force, and the head is off-white and stands about three fingers tall. Retention takes quite a while. Lacing was very sticky and thick.

The nose is just alright. Not very good. It’s interesting though. It has a strong lactic, sour scent. It smells much sourer than I would’ve guessed. There are some berry notes there, but they’re secondary to the sour scent. Definitely smells sugary and sweet. Some light, malty notes linger throughout. Smells a little like caramel. Alcohol isn’t very noticeable. Eh. It’s just okay. Could easily be better.

The flavor performs a little better than the nose. Enough to warrant a score bump. It’s definitely quite sour. I really didn’t anticipate that aspect of this beer at all, but it is a big part of it. Lactic is the word. The sour aspect isn’t quite as strong in flavor as it is in scent. That’s a good thing. There is definitely a strawberry flavor, but it’s still secondary. Should be more prevalent in my opinion. Having said that, it does complement the sour flavor better than you’d think. Milk sugars definitely give it a sweet taste. Light caramel adds a little more. Alcohol is buried. Finishes a little sour, fruity, and sweet.

Strawberry Short’s Cake has a light-medium body. Carbonation is active, but the bubbles feel pretty soft. It is relatively smooth and easy drinking.

Strawberry Short’s Cake is one of Short’s trailblazing brews. It’s definitely unique and quite the novelty. How is it? It’s alright. The sour, lactic aspect of it doesn’t exactly bring strawberry short cake to mind, but it’s not all that bad. A little more strawberry and a little less sour would probably improve it though. It’s worth a try, especially if you’re into exploring fruity beers.

3.29/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. I received a huge box of Short's goodies from MarcatGSB and this is my first of their truly weird concept beers.

Appearance - Overflowing poured into the pint glass. 50% beer, 50% head. Thick, creamy head with tightly knit bubbles. The body itself is a light amber with a good deal of murkiness. Wisps of strange sediment kept falling into my glass, which has me slightly worried.

Smell - Very odd smell. Yes, I get some faint strawberries, but otherwise it smells like toast and some sort of salted nuts. There's a faint smell of what I guess is the "cream" to this beer. It's off-putting.

Taste - The taste is redeeming. Creamy start with a fairly hoppy middle flavor. The flavor goes through so many iterations so quickly it's hard to pin down what each one tastes like. It's not sweet, although it seems like it wants to be. The finish is tart strawberries and a bit of bitterness. Interesting, for sure.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated and tingly. Strange flavors do put off the drinkability, though. I don't know that I'd want to drink this again, especially in more than one sitting.

Overall - Glad I got to try this. It's so bizarre that I'm quite tempted to see what these other beers are like. It seems I have the whole lineup of odd Short's beers. This is only the beginning.

4.02/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. These days Short's one-off bottles are really the only thing I get excited for on a regular basis at the beer store. Cheers to giving me a reason every two weeks to go poke around to see if a new Short's beer is out.

Pours golden amber with a slightly red hue that I may be imagining thanks to the pink and red six pack and bottle label. Head is an odd light brownish color. If it were a food I would simply say it smells like strawberry shortcake. In beer speak though I suppose that means biscuity malt, some sweetness, and fresh strawberries that have been reduced in a pan with some sugar and butter so they break down and their juices come out. Taste is the exact same. Really it tastes like liquified strawberry shortcake. Biscuity malt, some milkiness, fresh strawberries that were treated as described in the aroma and a light lingering tartness. Some delicious stuff. Medium bodied, a little bit fizzy. Not terribly drinkable, I probably wouldn't want more than one. Nonetheless an awesome beer to experience.

I have to say I really respect the talent level of the brewers at Short's. When they go for a flavor, they nail it. Smoked apple ale tastes like smoked apples, black licorice lager tastes like black licorice, spruce pilsener tastes like munching on a pine cone, and this one tastes like strawberry shortcake. While sometimes missing the mark as pleasurable beers (liquified smoked apples???), you have to respect how dead on they are on delivering on what the label promises each time.

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

Several samples of this @ the 2009 Great Taste of the Midwest on 8/8/09. One of my favorites of the fest.

Pours a hazy, well..., strawberry! Topped with a layer of foamy off-white/pinkish head, this stayed rich the whole way through. The aroma is unbelievable in how is recreates a strawberry shortcake. Fresh strawberries up front, bready biscuit malts in the middle, and hell, there is even some sugary sweetness thrown in to mimic some whipped cream on top! A touch of floral hops in the back is the only thing that reminds me that this is a beer for crying out loud!

The taste, fortunately, mimics the aroma to a tee. Juicy strawberries, sugar and milk, and the shortcake like biscuity malts, which really makes this, giving the other flavors something to wrap around. Some moderate bittering hops ride throughout, once again dragging me back to the real world and reminding me that I'm drinking a beer. The mouthfeel is lighter-medium bodied, with a sharp prickle up front, that then gives way to an extremely silky feel underneath. This just moves those delicious flavors effortlessly across the palate.

Wow, just WOW! First it was Uber Goober. Then it was the PBJ beer they had at Extreme Beer Fest. And now this? Once again, they just NAILED the flavors here. I honestly can't think of a more delicious beer to enjoy during the summer.

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Outlier detected. Please enter a review.

3.21/5  rDev -11.6%

Pinkish hue in the glass, a generous inch of foam shoots right up and mellows in the glass, yay for 16oz snifters. Really great looking beer. Smell is of light fruit, bready sweet grain as well. Taste is easy, medium bodied. A metallic undertone is mellowed by lightly sweet strawberry and cream flavors, finish is off. The sweet fruits dies out very fast and leaves an undesireable flavor, much of a vegetal bandaid quality. Not a bad beer, for once, I wish it was more rich/sweeter.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

A- Pours a light pink orange look.

S- smell of Strawberries and sweet creme from the sugar.

T- Taste of strawberry and milk sugar playing as whip creme

M- Gritty from the strawberry and sugar from milk .

D- It's pretty good. Not worth the hype.

Cheers.

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

Served on tap at Short's. Milk, sugar, strawberries and biscuit malt aim to recreate the strawberry shortcake experience.

A: The ale is an amber color, brown with just a mild touch of strawberry red. Don't get me wrong though, this one looks like an amber beer. A finger of head went nowhere.

S: The ale wants to recreate the strawberry shortcake experience, huh? It does with flying colors. Biscuit malt, sweet strawberries, lactoce and sugar take their turns up front. I'm floored that the beer smells this dead on.

T: Much like the nose, this one is a proud flagbearer for shortcake. Biscuit malts are chewy and dry, setting up the lactic sweetness, sugar and fresh strawberries. Strawberries litter the finish with a mild sweetness. I am really impressed by this one.

M: Strawberry shortcake. Except for the alcohol, this is a dead ringer for dessert.

D: I should have pressed harder for a growler, I'd love to share this beer with people. Kudos to Short's for shattering barriers with this beer.

4.54/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz gifted to me as a great 12 pack of Short's brews when Kbeals made a night out of hanging with me and the Boise peeps. Kevin was great company and is certainly good people... Thanks buddy.

Poured into my Old Guardian goblet... Nice 2 finger tan head.. the brew is orange... okay retention.. no lace .. and judging by the crackling bubbles this is gonna be pretty carbonated.

The aroma is "almost" everything advertised... Smuckers jam... bits of biscuit.. but the fruit is so far out front it demolishes everything else... still pretty damn amazing.

Berries are very present on the palate, yet not as much as the nose.. toasted bread and doughy malts really play well... I'm having a harder time picking out the milk sugars or anything resembling "cream", but that said, this brew delivers! The "shortcake" element really shows on the finish.. biscuity and fruit essence linger forever.

Carbonation seems a tad high, but this bottle was underfilled which likely led to the abundant bubbles.. the mouthfeel could use a bit of plushiness.

Astonished that this can be delivered on a liquid platform.. just awesome.... I had this numerous times at the '09 GABF and kept going back and braving the lines because I couldn't believe from pour to pour that it was good as my mind was making it out to be. It is. Believe... I do.

3.5/4.5/5/3.5/4.5

Big props once again to Kbeals.... Kevin, damn glad I had the honor of meeting you in person.... you are always welcome in Boise.

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

so i decided last night to break out 10+, thats right 10+ new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

this was by far my wifes favorite beer of the night and i have to admit i did not mind it one bit either. a nice light yellow pour with a moderate amount of haze to it and a nice white head that fizzed up quickly and then settled down with a thin film of lacing..

aroma is strawberries and rich, sweet cream and cake. spot on given the name and by far the best food themed beer i have ever smelled. it was just soo dead on and at the same time not too much for me. light body with a clean and definite strawberry presence that again was not too much and hit it off just about right. really very nicely done with a huge sweet flavor that came in mid palate and cut right through the tight strawberry flavor. remarkably done and really just beyond a pleasant surprise for sure.

overall a wonderfully done experiment here that out of all the oddball shorts beers we tried worked really, really well for me.

Reviewed on 5-4-11
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A – Poured three fingers of foam, cloudy copper/tan color with lots of carbonation present. Nice head retention

S – Lots of strawberry notes, roasted malts with not a lot of hops

T/M – Interesting taste, lighter bodied and fizzy, like a cream soda but with lots of strawberry’s. Malty brew with little or no hops present

D – Pretty drinkable brew, lighter bodied brew that was very smooth. Couldn’t have more than one of these, seemed like an after dinner treat. Glad I tried it but wouldn’t seek it out again

to view more.