Strawberry Short's Cake - Short's Brewing Company

Strawberry Short's CakeStrawberry Short's Cake

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: akorsak on 07-20-2009)
Reviews by pastradul:
4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to urbancaver for this treat!

Poured into a tall flute...

I was warned this was a gusher so I opened it very very slowly.... there was a ton of carb coming out. Pretty sure that if I had just popped it I would of lost a good amount of beer.

the most gentle pour possible produced a huge fluffy slightly pink head. with tons of bubbles streaming from the bottom.

the aroma is crushed and strawberries! with a bit of yellow cake vanilla sweetness in the back.

the mouthfeel it way to prickly... some extra swurling helps kill to carb a bit and after that you are able to get a bit more of the bread cake flavor.

the taste is exactly what you would expect.... strawberries and cake flavor... me and my friend thought it was pretty tasty!

Is it my favorite beer... no. but for what it is supposed to be... i think it is pretty awesome.

pastradul, Oct 28, 2010
3.99/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottle received as an extra.

Pours a jammy looking red, not very dark, or very light, right in the middle. There's a half inch head, with a small amount of lacing.

Smells quite like fresh strawberries, they translated the flavor pretty well. I am also picking up some vanilla.

The taste is similar. The wonderful fresh strawberry flavor, like sweet jam, is the overwhelming flavor, but I am getting some vanilla flavor that brings whipped cream to mind. I am not getting a whole lot "cake" flavor, however. This is really one-note, but luckily, I like that note.

This one is fairly light bodied, with a sweet, slightly sticky mouthfeel, and a lower level of carbonation. I'm glad the carbonation is lower, or this might have approached fruit soda territory.

A very interesting and tasty beer from Short's, a great fruit beer.

GreesyFizeek, Sep 11, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

DanGeo, May 30, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Another experimental Shorts brew, another anxious me, waiting patiently all year to finally indulge. Red, not quite dark enough to be called ruby or crimson, rather it's just an ominous red color, with even a little bit of orange at the edges. Mild clarity with only a slight haze, a soapy film rests on top without growing large enough to qualify as a true head.

Pure strawberry juiciness comes gushing out of the glass as I bring my nose forth. Sweetness is present, almost like some residual sugars, but nothing that's going to rot your teeth out. Hefty malts lay down a bready aroma that undercuts the strawberry near the end. There's a mild creaminess here and there, also kind of sugary in character. A fruity explosion, no doubt. It actually smells slightly reminiscent of the beer's namesake.

The taste is a little more mild in terms of downright fruity sweetness than the aroma, and that may actually turn out to be a good thing. More strawberry puree and a good amount of backing creaminess with a touch of sugary, milky sweetness to travel alongside. Yeah, it's sweet. Of course it's sweet - it's called "Strawberry Shorts Cake" for Christ's sake. What did you expect? But, it's not overwhelming. It's sweet in a light, dessert-y kind of way.

The malt provides the breadiness that controls the entire "cake" aspect. It's certainly bready and doughy, and mixed with the mild residual sugars, I guess I can see where you'd pull "cake" from. It is pretty biscuity. Some light whipped cream and granulated sugar mixed with tingly strawberry juice in the finish. Lighter bodied, as you'd expect from a 5% ABV fruit beer, with decent carbonation and a mouth feel that's not as sticky as you might think.

Well, well, well... I was a bit nervous going into this one (albeit still excited) but things turned out well after all. This beer is basically exactly what it states. Strawberries, biscuit and bread malt, and some creamy sweetness. Strawberry short cake, right? It's sweet, it's dessert-like, and it's a nice way to compliment a hefty dinner. I enjoyed this one quite a bit, and it's one of the better Michigan fruit beers out there, if you ask me.

tectactoe, Aug 26, 2013
3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Reviewed from notes written on 12/5/10.

Strawberry Short's Cake has a hazy gold color with a beautiful strawberry-red tint, sitting pretty in my snifter. An extremely light khaki, half-finger head fades swiftly and leaves a hazy film atop the beer. Carbonation bubbles are few and far between and move at a medium jaunt up my glass. The lacing is okay and is somewhat globby and sporadic.

Strawberry takes center stage in the smell profile, with the milk sugar contributing a cramy dairy sweetness to the aroma. It is really a lovely scent and smells pretty much exactly as it should - strawberry short cake in beer form.

The taste does not live up to the moniker as much as the smell does. At first landing on my palate, the beer tastes like a straight-up golden ale with a hint of strawberry, but then the creamy milk sugar kicks in and highlight the strawberry taste. It comes really close to tasting like its name, but lacks the richness of the cake component.

The mouthfeel is light and crisp initially, then it transitions into a pretty creamy, medium-bodied feel. The finish is a bit empty, as the bottom drops out of the body at the end.

I will enjoy this beer every once in awhile when I am craving something sweet and liquid. It is well done for what it is, missing the mark by just a hair. I do not think that I could session this because of its sweetness, and it does not scream "I am great! You have to have me again!"

TCHopCraver, Dec 18, 2010

notes from 7/26/10; no freshness date but pretty fresh bottle

Pours reddish brown with minimal, quickly dissipating head.

Sweet strawberry dominates, more like strawberry jam than plain fruit; just a hint of biscuit malt.

Nice bright taste. Not as sweet as a feared it may be. Taste actually has a bit of tartness from the strawberry and some slight biscuit taste.

Moderate mouthfeel; slightly sticky but pleasant.

Good drinkability, especially on a hot summer day.

warnerry, Feb 18, 2011

VernonKell, Nov 15, 2012

Thanks to RBlaszak for sharing this bottle. I have heard a lot about this beer so I am glad I got to try it. The beer pours a reddish-brown color with a large white head. The aroma is heavy on the strawberries with some caramel and bready malt. Very interesting. The flavor is more complex but just as good if not better. In addition to the strawberries, I get some caramel, graham crackers, vanilla and some light tartness. The fruit in the beer is very juicy and very enjoyable. I am not sure if the tartness is from an early infection or if it is intended, but it adds to the beer’s flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

(It should be noted that I had two of these beers, presumably from the same six pack. The other beer was drank a few days after the one I rated and it was badly infected and undrinkable).

Mora2000, May 04, 2011

Skye1024, May 12, 2012

mikejonze, Jan 31, 2014

mjtiernan, Nov 15, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

mikerap100, Aug 12, 2013

Cynic-ale, Aug 24, 2014
3.44/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle from a 6 pack purchased in Ann Arbor as it came in off the delivery truck. Served in a snifter. Pours red-amber with very good clarity and small, shot-lived head.

An interesting fruit beer, with a bitter/sweet/tart taste tha leans a bit toward the sweet side, but leaving all 3 components apparent.
The strawberry smell and taste more like preserves than fresh berries and, while obvious, are nearly matched by the flavor of light malts. Aroma is too vegetative.

O: A fun and refreshing beer that's certainly worth trying.

chinchill, Sep 15, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Another best in show for me at GTOM. Review from my program I just found in a stack of magazines! Had twice... served with a sliced strawberry and whipped cream on top.

Pours a hazy red with a beautiful pink head.

Smells like strawberry shortcake to a tee! Strawberries, sugar, cream and yellow cake.

Taste is precisely the same. There is a tiny bit of hops hidden here as it finishes fairly dry. Tart, refreshing, delicious!

rudylaw, Dec 17, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

On-tap.

Pours a hazy bright amber color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of ripe strawberries with mild amounts of tartness and lactose sweetness.

Tastes very similar to how it smells, although the ratio of tartness to sweetness associated with the strawberries is not as good. Light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by large amounts of ripe and slightly sweet strawberry flavors. Midway through the sip the strawberry flavors become more tart and carry through to a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I was impressed with how easily this beer went down. A nice integration of fresh strawberry flavors makes this beer one of the best fruit beers I've had and one that's well worth a shot.

glid02, Jan 10, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

goast8127, Feb 08, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

acurtis, Dec 05, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was glad to be able to try this beer again after our Toledo tasting thanks to a friend of mine in MI.

This beer pours a dark orange-red color, about the color of blood orange, with a slight cloudiness to it. A nice, thick pinkish head forms tall and strong, sticking around and leaving patchy lacing in the liquid's wake.
Wow. Biscuity malt is just a touch buttery with plenty of lactose and sugar strawberries and cream in the aroma. If the flavor's like the aroma, this is the real deal.
The flavor is indeed just like the aroma. This one's as sweet as it should be without be cloying or overbearing. Imagine strawberry short cake. Eat a piece if you have some around. This pretty much tastes exactly the same. This is skillful brewing on display.
The body is just thick enough to give the reminiscence of angel food cake with a light nip up front giving way to a very clean smoothness.
I'll take another. Thanks to the guys at the tasting (frazbri, I think?) for making me need to try this one again.

Brenden, Oct 06, 2010

Reappropriated, Dec 01, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

Many thanks to GordianKnot for the chance to taste this one. At the sight and name of the bottle, my manhood is in check, but I will try not to hold it against the beer. Poured from bottle into DFH snifter. At the opening of the bottle, there is a huge "POP" and a hiss, with a little bit of gusher action. Putting my nose into the bottle reveals a metallic aroma, and possibly some infection flavors. Pouring into the snifter, the head is out of control, full of cloudy fluffy head. Is this one infected? Smell- plastic hardcore. some sugary strawberry aroma, maybe like what you would get out of a Sara Lee strawberry pie filling box? It is artificial in nature. At second inspection, plastic is all I get.

Taste- better than I expected. I do get some real fruit flavors- and it is much more muted than I expected it to be. Was thinking by the nose that I would get some of the off putting flavors that were on the nose, but this strangely enough kind of works, and is pretty refreshing. It seems to be all about the fruit here- but not in a tart overdone type way. I might have even gotten some chewiness, perhaps a strawberry seed? I could be imagining that, it might just be a floatie that took on some sort of fruit flavor.

Overall, I don't hate this beer, and I was expecting to. I don't think I would seek it out again, but this was an interesting take on the fruit beer.

lnashsig, Aug 30, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Review from notes. Thanks to Jay for opening this one up, one of the beers from Shorts I have wanted to try the most.

A: Pours a slightly hazy amber with a slightly reddish tint to it. Small off-white head forms and lasts for a few moments, spotty lacing.

S: Wow, the aroma reminds me of strawberry filling, and definitely get a little bit of angel food cake and biscuity malt. There is a little vanilla too.

T: Very similar to the aroma, plenty of sugary strawberry with some biscuity malt. Very sweet, certainly reminds me of its namesake.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Easy drinking with a sweet finish.

O: Extremely impressed, spot on with the flavor. Had no problem drinking it, would love to try some of the other off the wall offerings from Shorts.

mdaschaf, Mar 06, 2012