Strawberry Short's Cake - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 07-20-2009

Ratings: 420 | Reviews: 144

Appearance: murky amber to orange/pink. Creamy head which stayed for a while. Beautiful!

Smell: Fresh strawberry's with a funky smell. Almost sour in a sense but delicious smelling. Definitely got my taste buds turned on. Malts are also prominent with milky remnants.

Taste: Very close to the smell with strawberries, kiwi, flowers and shortbread cookies. Off the hook!

Mouthfeel: To the point and spot on. Sour carb not too heavy and not too light. Sourness tingles the back sides of the tongue.

Drinkability: Drinks like a strawberry short's cake and I could definitely drink daily but not more than 2 at a sitting. Looks, smells, tastes like strawberry short cake and I have to rate this in my top 5 beers ever!

4.72/5  rDev +30.4%

HA! Shorts did it again!!!!

Super easy pour into a tulip receptacle. Off-white soapy head falls quickly. Brew is deep ruby red, pretty cloudy.

Super strawberry aroma, lots of cream on the base too.

Surprisingly not overly sugary. Very smooth and strawberry. Very delicious. Perfect light carbonation, no off-flavors, no bitterness, and not a sugar bomb.

Quite possible the funniest brew i've ever had. Very unique and enjoyable on a hot day. Its definitely a strawberry shortcake. If you like Fruit Brews, this is a MUST try! Thanks Adam for sharing.

4.69/5  rDev +29.6%

What can I say about this beer. My 3rd bottle. All 3 were gushers to varying extents. 12oz into Pint glass.

A- Pink rose with roange amber highlights and a huge head.

S- Dead-on strawberry shortcake. The sweet cream, the berries, and the cake. Wow.

T- Spot-on again. I don't know how the Shorts guys do it, but this is strawberry shortcake in a bottle. Great berry notes and cake flavoring. How do you get a beer to taste like cake?

M- A bit overcarbonated in the pour but it works in the mouthfeel. Light body but it suits the flavors well.

D- Insane. I know this beer isn't for everyone, but this is the beer I'm meant to drink. A stunning beer. One of the most unique and tasty beers I've ever come across.. Fantastic.

4.67/5  rDev +29%

Several samples of this fest favorite at Great Taste of the Midwest.

A-Hazy, light reddish amber coming very close to the color of a ripe strawberry. A pink tinged, off-white head that held on strong. A nice touch at the fest was the serving of this with a fresh strawberry, whipped cream topped, garnish!

S-This is easy--make strawberry shortcake, stick your nose into the bowl and inhale deeply! A big wafting of fresh strawberries followed by biscuit malt and a subtle touch of lactose sweetness! Wow...simply Wow!

T-An almost complete duplicate of the aroma with fresh, tart, strawberries up front followed by biscuit malt and a lightly sweet finish. The only "detractor" is a touch of floral hops that actually lets this "brew" resemble a beer!

M-Light bodied, sharp and crisp with a touch of sour tartness. Good lingeing flavours for such a light beer.

D-Okay--WTF!? How the hell does Joe and company nail these crazy beers as well as they do? I wonder how many R&D batches they produce to finally figure things out? What an amzing beer. It calls itself Strawberry Short's Cake and well...it is! Simply OUTSTANDING!

4.61/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I hunt this beer down every year, draft and bottles. Its very much worth the searching.

A: Pours a half finger head with light red/pink hues. Actively carbonated, appetizing.

S: Freshly cut strawberries and busciut/malt on the nose. Can even smell a hint of the milk sugar thats added oh so nicely.

T: Very sweet and tart at the same time, the strawberry flavor is perfect! A little over-carbonated I suppose, but it works perfect with this particular beer.. any less carbonation and it would be flat in my opinion.

M: Really a great feel to this one, sugary and sweet. Sticky strawberry mouthfeel with a nice aftertaste of buscuit malty-ness.

O: Excellent. Another home run for shorts. Like a beer anniversary every time I crack one open.

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Outlier detected. Please enter a review.

4.54/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz gifted to me as a great 12 pack of Short's brews when Kbeals made a night out of hanging with me and the Boise peeps. Kevin was great company and is certainly good people... Thanks buddy.

Poured into my Old Guardian goblet... Nice 2 finger tan head.. the brew is orange... okay retention.. no lace .. and judging by the crackling bubbles this is gonna be pretty carbonated.

The aroma is "almost" everything advertised... Smuckers jam... bits of biscuit.. but the fruit is so far out front it demolishes everything else... still pretty damn amazing.

Berries are very present on the palate, yet not as much as the nose.. toasted bread and doughy malts really play well... I'm having a harder time picking out the milk sugars or anything resembling "cream", but that said, this brew delivers! The "shortcake" element really shows on the finish.. biscuity and fruit essence linger forever.

Carbonation seems a tad high, but this bottle was underfilled which likely led to the abundant bubbles.. the mouthfeel could use a bit of plushiness.

Astonished that this can be delivered on a liquid platform.. just awesome.... I had this numerous times at the '09 GABF and kept going back and braving the lines because I couldn't believe from pour to pour that it was good as my mind was making it out to be. It is. Believe... I do.

3.5/4.5/5/3.5/4.5

Big props once again to Kbeals.... Kevin, damn glad I had the honor of meeting you in person.... you are always welcome in Boise.

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

Several samples of this @ the 2009 Great Taste of the Midwest on 8/8/09. One of my favorites of the fest.

Pours a hazy, well..., strawberry! Topped with a layer of foamy off-white/pinkish head, this stayed rich the whole way through. The aroma is unbelievable in how is recreates a strawberry shortcake. Fresh strawberries up front, bready biscuit malts in the middle, and hell, there is even some sugary sweetness thrown in to mimic some whipped cream on top! A touch of floral hops in the back is the only thing that reminds me that this is a beer for crying out loud!

The taste, fortunately, mimics the aroma to a tee. Juicy strawberries, sugar and milk, and the shortcake like biscuity malts, which really makes this, giving the other flavors something to wrap around. Some moderate bittering hops ride throughout, once again dragging me back to the real world and reminding me that I'm drinking a beer. The mouthfeel is lighter-medium bodied, with a sharp prickle up front, that then gives way to an extremely silky feel underneath. This just moves those delicious flavors effortlessly across the palate.

Wow, just WOW! First it was Uber Goober. Then it was the PBJ beer they had at Extreme Beer Fest. And now this? Once again, they just NAILED the flavors here. I honestly can't think of a more delicious beer to enjoy during the summer.

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

Served on tap at Short's. Milk, sugar, strawberries and biscuit malt aim to recreate the strawberry shortcake experience.

A: The ale is an amber color, brown with just a mild touch of strawberry red. Don't get me wrong though, this one looks like an amber beer. A finger of head went nowhere.

S: The ale wants to recreate the strawberry shortcake experience, huh? It does with flying colors. Biscuit malt, sweet strawberries, lactoce and sugar take their turns up front. I'm floored that the beer smells this dead on.

T: Much like the nose, this one is a proud flagbearer for shortcake. Biscuit malts are chewy and dry, setting up the lactic sweetness, sugar and fresh strawberries. Strawberries litter the finish with a mild sweetness. I am really impressed by this one.

M: Strawberry shortcake. Except for the alcohol, this is a dead ringer for dessert.

D: I should have pressed harder for a growler, I'd love to share this beer with people. Kudos to Short's for shattering barriers with this beer.

4.46/5  rDev +23.2%

I've had this beer a few times now, but felt compelled to review it after camping this weekend and getting a special growler from the pub....thanks soooo much Leah, you guys are so great and always make us feel very welcome whenever we visit.

I've been excited to try this beer since I heard it was coming out a couple of months ago. This beer pours with a generous 3 fingers of head that hangs around until my third drink. It pours a deep amber/Strawberry color and has good carbonation for a fruit beer. The smell is absolutely amazing and spot on for a Strawberry Shortcake...I actually took the time this time to close my eyes and if it was put in front of me I would not know it was a beer. Great strawberry smell up front that is followed by a ton of biscuit malt and lactose sweetness, truely amazing. The taste is much the same for me. This is the best use of strawberries I have ever tasted in a beer. Strawberries are the first taste, which fades into a solid malt backbone with sugary sweet biscuit flavor....I wanna dunk this beer in milk. The only fall back is I couldn't see myself drinking more than a few glasses because its a bit too sweet to drink all night. The mouthfeel is light and ideal and makes the beer very refreshing.

This is one of those beers that truely blew me out of my seat the first time I had it. It is soooo spot on for flavor and smell its truely an incredible accomplishment from Shorts. If you ever find yourself in Northern Michigan and are lucky enough to try this beer you will feel the same. Seek this one out!

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was glad to be able to try this beer again after our Toledo tasting thanks to a friend of mine in MI.

This beer pours a dark orange-red color, about the color of blood orange, with a slight cloudiness to it. A nice, thick pinkish head forms tall and strong, sticking around and leaving patchy lacing in the liquid's wake.
Wow. Biscuity malt is just a touch buttery with plenty of lactose and sugar strawberries and cream in the aroma. If the flavor's like the aroma, this is the real deal.
The flavor is indeed just like the aroma. This one's as sweet as it should be without be cloying or overbearing. Imagine strawberry short cake. Eat a piece if you have some around. This pretty much tastes exactly the same. This is skillful brewing on display.
The body is just thick enough to give the reminiscence of angel food cake with a light nip up front giving way to a very clean smoothness.
I'll take another. Thanks to the guys at the tasting (frazbri, I think?) for making me need to try this one again.

4.44/5  rDev +22.7%

Adam picked up a sixer of this for me when he was at the brewery. Thanks man!

A: This beer appears a clear, light brown hue with hints of orange. There is a fairly small head that leaves little lacing.

S: The aroma is really amazing, in that it does in fact smell like strawberry shortcake.

T: This beer tastes like drinking a strawberry shortcake, if that were possible. Kudos to Short's, as this is obviously what the brewer intended.

M: The beer has a decent feel, without any cloying sweetness to it, which I found surprising.

D: I wouldn't want to drink a lot of these, but what a cool experience. Short's has boldly blurred the boundaries of craft beer once again.

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

Had this on tap at the great taste 2010

Color is an orange hued brown with some haze to it. Pours a light white head.

Aroma/Taste: The taste is exactly like the name says. It has a huge amount of strawberries. I was amazed by how much they got into this beer. It also tastes like I am eating cake. Not much of a biscuity flavor, but more of a sweet malty flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and refreshing. A medium body with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with more strawberries.

Overall, I was quite impressed with this beer. I could drink a lot of it on a hot summer day. Very drinkable and very good.

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

Enjoyed a pint at Shakespeare's in Kalamazoo. Body is a berry stained golden color. Off white head did not leave much in the way of retention. Slight lacing scattered on the american pint glass.

The smell is ridiculously close to strawberry shortcake. The strawberry aroma is strong upfront. Fresh strawberries no artificial additives here. The shortcake portion relies heavily on a biscuity aroma. I would not call the angel food cake, it is a bit darker. Think crusty biscuit.

The flavor replicates the desert in flavor nearly as well as it did in aroma. If there is going to be criticism it would have to be the strawberries. While the flavor is there, it is hard to get the fresh strawberry flavor to translate into beer. With that being said, this is a delicious strawberry beer. The biscuity malt once again tastes darker than a lighter cake which may be found in the desert. The more grainy biscuit flavor works very well though with the berries.

Body is on the light side of medium. Definitely not a thin beer but just never gets too heavy. Carbonation is crisp, works extremely well for this particular brew. Creamy texture with a slow and long finish.

Drinkability is just like a desert. How much desert would you like to eat/drink?

While this may not be for everyone, it does go down easy. Very tasty and quite enjoyable. Short's does fruit beer right, hell Short's just does beer right.

4.37/5  rDev +20.7%

12 oz. bottle.

Deep, clear copper-burnt sienna body. Finger of pillowy, light beige head. Good retention. Nose does not kid around: this beer is all about strawberries! Big fresh wallop of ripe strawberries, accompanied by graham cracker, and pie crust. Wow.

Taste starts off with light strawberry sweetness and some Juicy Fruit gum. The strawberry sweetness becomes tarter and more complex, shrugging off any hint of artificial flavoring. Underneath the juicy strawberry flavors is a base of graham cracker and short bread maltiness. This beer really does taste like strawberry shortcake! Sweetness fades in the finish with notes of strawberry seeds and lingering milk sugar. Moderate body, with a spritzy, lively feel. Very well done!

4.34/5  rDev +19.9%

Bottle picked up at Plum Market in Ann Arbor. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance
I thought I remembered this being a little bit lighter in color when I at it at last year's MI fest. I guess there are a lot of factors here though, more beer, thicker glass, darker lighting. Its a pure, strawberry red. Very vibrant and chromatic. There are some chunky bubbles that form a loose head.

Aroma
Pure, fresh strawberries, especially before swirling. It really does smell like fresh cut strawberries that are about to be scooped onto a piece of angle food cake. Swirling brings up a milky creaminess and vague suggestions of very light malts.

Taste
Its flavor loaded with strawberries, but not as much as the aroma. Lots of sweet strawberries up front with a little bit of milky creaminess throughout. A faint malt base acts like the pound cake in the strawberry shortcake equation. It really does taste strikingly like it's namesake.

Mouthfeel
Light and very juicy. Supremely thirst quenching.

Overall
This is an excellent beer that really hits the mark. I wish I had more of this stuff.

4.32/5  rDev +19.3%

No date stamp but seeing this just the retail shelves of Mid-MI, I'm guessing it's still very fresh.

Poured into my stemmed Ayinger tulip-style chalice a ruby copper color with fine clarity. The settled 1/2" off-white heads is protecting the craziness beneath. There seems to be a fair amount of spritzy visible carbonation uprising.

Smells just like Strawberry Short Cake. Serious.

The strawberry that smelled so fresh and real in the nose translates perfectly and organically in the flavor. Nothing syrupy or contrived. Just good real fresh strawberry flavor. There is a welcomed touch of tartness to this succulent fruit I just described, which works out perfectly. The biscuit malt really makes my brain think 'angel food cake'. The lactose pulls off the real cream flavors superbly.

Mouthfeel is between light-med. with lots of fine and playful carbonation. The flavors end a tad bit sweet, but there is that masterfully placed tartness that offsets it very skillfully.

Overall this is a very playful, fun and perfectly executed beer. My subjective feelings for this beer would pretty much evenly line-up with how objectively this 'fruit/vegetable beer' is masterfully crafted. A great way to jazz up a session for sure. I'm probing for strawberry seeds with my tongue. That's how real this tastes! Great stuff (again) from Short's.

4.29/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a reddish/ copper color with a light tan head. In the aroma, dehydrated strawberries. In the taste, dry strawberries, kind of like the taste of Special K Red Berries cereal. A small bite and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry, sugary strawberry aftertaste. True to name, and quite nice dryness of the fruit.

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Another best in show for me at GTOM. Review from my program I just found in a stack of magazines! Had twice... served with a sliced strawberry and whipped cream on top.

Pours a hazy red with a beautiful pink head.

Smells like strawberry shortcake to a tee! Strawberries, sugar, cream and yellow cake.

Taste is precisely the same. There is a tiny bit of hops hidden here as it finishes fairly dry. Tart, refreshing, delicious!

4.27/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Short’s Strawberry Shorts Cake pours an amber-caramel color, like a malty ruby-tinged syrup. There’s an enormous up-front aroma of strawberry jam with a hint of vanilla ice cream on top. The flavor has a sweet, rich, jammy cream flavor and a slightly bitter edge. It’s tangy and sweet and definitely lives up to its name. Although a full pour or bottle might be too much this would make a great dessert beer in small amounts.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

2014, just picked up two six packs from Hardings in Kalamazoo.

Appears dark rose and copper colored with an off-white head. Slight lacing on the glass.

Aroma of strawberries and malts.

Taste is very confusing. It starts with fresh strawberry but immediately I pick up a harsh malty note. The finish is very pleasant with a graham cracker and shortcake flavor. If you wait for it, the taste of shortcake really does appear.

Mouthfeel is enjoyable with good carbonation and its pretty smooth.

Overall a decent and interesting beer

4.24/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle poured into Barley Creek wine style glass.

A: A surprisingly good looking beer. The first time I opened one of these, I was expecting something more similar to Shorts Key Lime Pie which is full of little floaties. This one pours clear, is red hued, and yields a nice 1.5 finger white head. Looks nice in the glass.

S: Tons of ripe strawberries on the nose. I'm highly impressed how much strawberry scent is packed into this one, and there is nothing artificial about the scent, which isn't always the case with fruit beers.

T: Strawberry is the star flavor on the palate, although it isn't as one dimensional as the nose suggests. Some milk sweetness is there: I must commend Shorts for the really nice job they do with the lactose on this one. Some lactose infused beers are heavy handed in such a way that I can't get past the dairy presence. In this case, lactose is complimentary. Also picking up a bit of caramel and biscuity malt presence, which carries through the "short cake" concept.

M: Thin to medium body with moderate carbonation. Once again, I'm impressed by the use of lactose here, as some lactose beers case come across as a bit gritty on my palate. Not the case with this one.

O: This is a release I look forward to each year. This beer is just what it claims to be, a strawberry packed fruit/concept beer. They do a great job of packaging strawberry short cake in beer form, and I enjoy this beer both as a concept and as a drinking experience.

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Big thanks to RyanMcFly1985 for grabbing me this bottle as an extra. Thanks, Ryan! Reviewed from notes.

Pours a really nice color with some pink shading. A bit of head and lace. The nose is quite incredible and this is just a truly well-executed concept. I can pick out individual notes of cream, cake, and strawberries. Even the non-beer folks with us with were impressed with this one. While the notes were present and noticeable in the nose, the taste really just pulls everything together so that this really tastes like strawberry shortcake. I've heard that some of their other brews do this, but I've never had a successful experience with them converting this to the bottle. Lightly creamy and delicious. I did not have any problem finishing this.

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

so i decided last night to break out 10+, thats right 10+ new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

this was by far my wifes favorite beer of the night and i have to admit i did not mind it one bit either. a nice light yellow pour with a moderate amount of haze to it and a nice white head that fizzed up quickly and then settled down with a thin film of lacing..

aroma is strawberries and rich, sweet cream and cake. spot on given the name and by far the best food themed beer i have ever smelled. it was just soo dead on and at the same time not too much for me. light body with a clean and definite strawberry presence that again was not too much and hit it off just about right. really very nicely done with a huge sweet flavor that came in mid palate and cut right through the tight strawberry flavor. remarkably done and really just beyond a pleasant surprise for sure.

overall a wonderfully done experiment here that out of all the oddball shorts beers we tried worked really, really well for me.

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%

Bottle poured into a mug.

A- Even a conservative pour created a 2-finger, khaki head. The body was a hazy copper that sports heavy carbonation. The head at great retention at about 1/2-finger and left great sticky spots on the glass. Neither quality is generally helped by this glass.

S- It smelled like strawberry short cake (strawberries, angel food cake, and whipped cream). The strawberry aroma was most prominent at first. A cracker-like (graham) grainy quality took over a bit with warmth.

T- Much as the aroma suggests. Lots of strawberry, graham cracker (cake), and some lactic (cream) flavors. The lactic quality adds a twang in the finish. The strawberry does kick in again as an aftertaste. With some warmth, the grainy flavors really stepped up through the middle.

M- It's fairly light bodied. Heavily carbonated. The lactic flavors are a bit puckering.

O- This is an awesome experimental beer from Short's. It definitely tastes like strawberry short cake. My wife likes it (thumbs up). I can drink more than 1 without getting overwhelmed. I would definitely buy it again, especially as a fruity dessert drink.

Strawberry Short's Cake from Short's Brewing Company