Strawberry Short's Cake - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 07-20-2009

1.38/5  rDev -62.3%

A - Pinkish rose-colored blonde with a quickly collapsing whitish/pink head. No Lacing.

S - Acetic/tart bready toasty malts. Slightly fruity (indistinguishable).

F/M - Tart acetic infected sour grossness. Crusty/bready malts. Light fruity strawberry flavor. Medium body and excessively high mouthfeel.

D - This is another gross infected mess of a drain pour. 2-for2 here Short's. Again, get it together.

1.5/5  rDev -59%

Pulling out yet another new Short's beer garnered at the Great Taste courtesy of malty. I love having a new brewery at my disposal for two months! Read plenty about this one & hoping it lives up to the NG fruit twins...or blazes a new, equally tasty trail.

Pours...holy bat-guano. I have precisely .26 seconds to appreciate the pop of the cap before I have Strawberry Short's Cake all over my ranch. Damn it! Once I finish hosing down, it takes three pours to get it into the pint, as foam blitzes the ege of the glass repeatedly. Much later I sit down to note that under the mad-dog white head, there's a dark yellow brew with a red background. The smell is infected. Nice, nice strawberries are battered with a pungent, bitter undertow.

I can almost taste what the brewer intended, & I'd really like to taste a straight up Strawberry Short's Cake. This one is thin, with the strawberries present, but cut-up by an unpleasant acidic edge. The lactic notes cut through the haze, but barely. I don't really want to drink further.

Damn. I think this is probably a very good brew, but this one's terminal. My sink will be happy, though.

1.7/5  rDev -53.6%

First beer from Short's. Received as an extra. I always want to like my extras. I guess you can't like them all. Drank this straight from the bottle, but I graded the appearance as good, because I think all beer LOOKS good. The smell from the nose of the bottles was like...rancid strawberries. The taste excludes ANY kind of strawberry whatsoever. This is where the "short cake" comes into play what...a mess. I don't know how else to describe it. It's simply disgusting to me. I've taken 5 more sips than I've wanted simply trying to pin down what the fuck the taste is, but I give up. I'm not going to swallow one more sip in an effort to find out. Overall this was a complete miss. I have a couple other assorted Short's bottles to rip through. Hopefully there's some kind of improvement over this godawful disaster.

1.92/5  rDev -47.5%

12 oz bottle shared by 321Jeff. Thanks!

Ewww. ewww. ewww. First whiff I get is of rotting garbage with spoiled strawberries freshly added to it. Appearance is a clear dark amber with a slight strawberry tinge and a fizzy, foamy off white head that has nice retention. The aroma definitely has a real seedy, strawberry presence but as mentioned before is also incredibly rancid. Carbonation is turned up way too high and is extremely fizzy. Flavor has hints of real, fruity strawberry with a mild lactic sweetness providing the illusion of cream. The combination of the spoilage, and hyperactive carbonation really kills any enjoyment I might have had of this.

2.23/5  rDev -39.1%

A - This beer pours a reddish copper color, and has a decent white head. The head left just a little bit of lacing on the glass as it fell.

S - The smells reminds me a lot of strawberry kool-aid mixed with a lighter beer.

T - The taste is very sweet and packs a lot of strawberry flavor. There is also some sourness present. This is just too sweet and fruity for me. Like the nose suggested, kool-aid mixed with beer.

M - It has a light body with high carbonation. The carbonation gives it a crispness, but I still think the carbonation is too high.

D - Drinkability was not too good. It is just too sweet and the carbonation is too high. This is certainly not one of my favorite short's beers, but I'd still suggest giving it a shot.

2.37/5  rDev -35.2%

Thanks to Jason for sharing.

A - For starters, the bottle gushed, not a good sign. Medium copper colored beer, off-white head. Some decent lace, looks solid.

S - Some mild strawberry smell and something that smells pretty moldy. Not a good smell, seems this is infected.

T - Not a good tasting beer, like moldy bread and strawberries, stale malts. Something has gone horribly wrong here. There is some okay strawberry flavor on the end, but not redeeming enough to save this beer.

M - Medium bodied with too much carbonation.

O - Highly disappointing, I've heard that this is good, but this bottle turned bad. Going to have to try this one again, but wouldn't seek it out due to Short's lack of quality control.

2.41/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured a half bottle in my pint glass and the head filled up the rest of the glass... interesting. Pours a hazy dark copper with the aforementioned massive tan head.

Aroma feature a distinct overripe strawberry flavor with an odd background flavor that might be their take on the cake side of things. Aroma is very strong, and to be perfectly frank, a little off-putting.

Taste is lots of sweet strawberries but that same off-putting aroma carries over to the taste and just kind of ruins it for me. It almost tastes like rotten strawberries.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and as foreshadowed by the massive head... it's way over carbonated. Not very drinkable at all and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish my half glass.

2.46/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Thanks steve, really wanted to try this beer.

A: Slightly hazy pinkish-red with a huge head.

S: Smells odd, carmelized sugary bruised strawberries bordering on solventy like.

T: I appreciate the strong over ripe strawberry but the flavor is off. I have to let the imagination flow to begin imagining that I'm tasting shortcake. Short's should of named it strawberry jolly ranchers. The beer if far too tart and sickeningly sweet. There is a minute resemblance of cake, but again, drowned out by the sweet and tart flavors.

M/D: Extremely sticky and viscious. Hard to choke down from being too sweet and over carbonated. I usually don't mind beers being too sweet, so take that for what it's worth.

I was looking forward to this beer and was let down, although the fruit component of the beer is better than most.

2.47/5  rDev -32.5%

Picked this one up in a recent trade, was looking forward to trying it, so I split it tonight with my wife. Pours a somewhat hazy orangeish color, with a huge, rocky 2 or 3 fingers of white foam. Tart, fresh strawberries on the nose make this one initially very inviting. However, on the palate, the fresh strawberry seems to have disappeared, replaced with an overly sweet, artificial tasting strawberry. Way to sweet, with a little tartness, and a weird artificial finish.

2.49/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Just picked this beer up. I was surprised by the color - it was a darker orange/red - I was expecting something lighter. Quite a bit of carbonation. The smell was odd to say the least. I got no strawberry at all in the aroma. Had my daughter smell it and she said it smelled like olives. The taste - not good at all. Again, I'm not getting any strawberry or anything like that at all. Hate to say it - just poured half of my pint down the drain. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with this beer - I don't know how it cold be skunked though because it was just bottled - the bottles just got released today in MI. Not a fan of this beer and looking to unload the other 5 bottles I got.

2.64/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This one did nothing for me. And I'm a sucker for fruit flavored beer. There was plenty of strawberry in there, but whatever they used to aim for the "shortcake" piece did not work for me. There was simply any unpleasant aftertaste that turned me off. Shorts usually hits the mark, but not on this one

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

An extra from surlytheduff in another of our awesome trades-- thanks a bunch!
Served in a tulip.

I popped this open and got momentarily distracted by "Girl Who Played With Fire" playing on my computer in the background... After 30 seconds I looked back to see this foaming over the top of the bottle... Dammit.

The head erupted to 6 fingers... With about 8 ounces left in the bottle.
Dammit dammit dammit.

The head looks fluffy and rocky, like when you fuck up a root beer float by trying to pour the root beer on top ofthe ice cream.

The malt profile reminds me of a sour-mashed Berliner weiss and the fruit reminds me of a Sunkist Starwberry soda. Some tart cherry notes too. The beer is not impressing me very much.

Body is certainly overcarbonated.

Overall-- I love fruit beers, when they are done well. I love sours, even mediocre ones. This beer misses both the marks.

2.71/5  rDev -26%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks to a74gent for tossing this in as an extra

A: Holy gusher! Glad I had the glass right next to me or I would have lost more than 1/4 of the beer. Once this settles down, even a small pour garners a large off white head. Red/orange color. Head is very fizzy and slowly disappears. Lots of sticky lacing

S: There is a sweetness similar to strawberry to start out. However, this is quickly followed by sourness (not good). Almost like "the [strawberry's] gone bad!" (to semi-quote Dave Chappelle as Rick James)

T: Actually has a bit of tartness. Similar to the nose, comes off a little spoiled. The flavor I get is like eating a strawberry after it's gone soft. Seems like there's some orange here too

M: Thin, a little watery. Decent carbonation. Ever so slight dry finish

D: I was warned prior to drinking the beer that there's was something off. Got that right. I'd be open to trying it again if they fixed whatever infection/other issue is going on here

2.72/5  rDev -25.7%

Thanks Greg.

Bottled foamed up a bit when I popped the crown. Pours out orangey golden but a bit darker with some rubyish too. some pinker hues, come through in the head too. two fingers of big foam, not much lace though. Good retention.

Nose has some good strawberry flavor up front, but I can't say that it's super appetizing. The milk sugar cuts through and makes it a bit artificial and like one of those creme savers candies. The taste as well, I'm not really crazy about it. Creamy on the palate with sugary milkiness with some of the same strawberry flavor and other general fruitiness, a touch of tartness in the finish. Hard to say that it was an intended flavor. Weirdness in the finish... not medicinal but has a certain harshness and fake tasting combining with the artificial fruity sweetness

Like many of the shorts beers, nice to try, but I didn't have any desire to finish the 12oz.

2.77/5  rDev -24.3%

12oz bottle poured (well, more like launched) into tulip - thanks to erikkoppin for the generous extra

Erupts from the top of the bottle after opening, leaving a decent amount of the beer on my counter and in the sink. Humongous head slowly dissolves, with a pretty nice reddish hues. Looks somewhat like strawberries.

Slightly tart and funky in the nose with hints of fruit. Strawberries and jammy notes with some residual sweetness.

Starts off with a slight touch of fruit, quickly swept away by some tart and funky notes. A mild sourness evolves with strawberries and cream. Sweetness lies underneath with a soft malt backbone. Finishes a little funky.

Medium body, super high carbonation, prickly and bubbly on the tongue. This definitely went off the tracks a bit, although the tart notes were kind of a nice mix with the strawberries.

2.8/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle opened on 7.25.12.

A - Pours a dark brown with a hint of ruby. A fizzy light tan head forms and then is gone instantly.

S - Old strawberries.

T - Old, over-ripe strawberries.

D - Lower carbonation and a very light body.

O - Hmmm...close, no not really. I did not enjoy this one at all.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

Sampled on 7-23-10

Pours a clear red/orange color, like an orange rascal. A thin, filmy white head leaves a single ring of lacing.

Smell is unbelieveably sweet, thick strawberry aromas are backed up by an almost cloying cake-like sugary kick. Good, but very heavy-handed.

Taste is a strong kick of vegetable sweetness, this thing is all over the place. The strawberry comes across as half sweet and half earthy, and is difficult to place. I'm not getting it.

Mouthfeel is very slick and thick, and almost flat. Totally amplifies the sweet flavors.

Drinkability is not good, the sweetness is an absolute animal.

Overall, I've got a few more bottles to try, and I'm open to change.

2.99/5  rDev -18.3%

Thanks to the Central PA crew for sending this as part of the Gang Bang BIF.

A: well we have a bit of a gusher here with bright white foam making its way out of the bottle. Once poured into the glass, it appears a cloudy red color with no head.

S: strawberry is the first thing I smell, the strawberry seems very artificial, like a Strawberry soda. Some vanilla comes through along with a bit of lactic acid.

T: the taste is a lot like the smell- strawberry soda that is tart and has vanilla undertones. While the strawberry is evident, I am no where close to comparing this to strawberry shortcake.

MF: high carbonation, light body

O: another ambitious project from Short's brewery, but again the end product falls short. Not a lot of enjoyable qualities about this beer.

Chilled bottle into a glass, from a trade with semibaked. Thanks!

A: *@&%!!! This thing is a gusher. Why did I do it so close to the computer why oh why oh why oh why did I backup recently f*** me it's on the keys now people are going to look at me funny when I'm typing in a meeting and my keys are sticky crapcrapcrapcrap

Pours a glowing, murky reddish-amber body capped with TONS of fluffy tan head. It just keeps coming and coming and-... Uh, anyway. I like head on a beer, but this is at the point where it's absurdly overdone.

S: This is a very promising nose. I've never actually had strawberry shortcake, as I'm allergic to eggs. Don't cry for me. So this beer is a nice approximation: lactic sweetness that approximates the bready / shortcake part; great strawberry nose. It's not necessarily the most complex and rich aroma, but it does exactly what it set out to do, and it's unique.

T: I LOVE the vibrant strawberry character. This beer doesn't seem infected, though I could see how the overcarbonation and tartness would begin to suggest that. I pick up hints of lactose sweetness, but it's not as strong as the nose implied. This is more of a fruit beer with a little milk sugar rather than a shortcake beer. That being said, it's still tasty. It stops short of being jammy, as it's not rich enough.

M: Since most of the carbonation erupted in the pour, the beer itself is quite flat and slick, which is generally a poor characteristic for fruit-based beers. I get a buildup of that tannic character, which I don't enjoy. Oddly, the beer seems to lack a bottom end; the end of the finish simply drops out, which is unsatisfying.

D: The sweetness could be dialed back, and it needs some tweaks, but it's interesting and tasty for sure. I'll definitely wait until I hear they've worked out their QC before I trade for more, though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This had been sitting in my fridge for about a month and hopefully this quelled the gushing a bit compared to some others I see that reviewed recently and had gushers. Mine opened up with a strong hiss and I noticed bubbles starting to quickly rise to the top of the bottle. Luckily I had my snifter ready and was able to avoid any spillage.

Appears a hazy red soda drink. Massive white head that left heavy lacing.

Aroma of a strong sweet fresh strawberry mixed with some sour tartness. This has to be slightly infected however I think it made it a little more interesting.

Taste is definitely got some lacto sourness going on. Fresh strawberry mixed with a very highly carbonated blonde ale. The flavors are a little off but there is a light pale malt flavor along with a little bit of what could be described as shortbread flavor I guess.

Overall, I can see where this is respected by those who like fruit beers. Its not a great beer but it is different and I have to respect that Shorts would make a fruit beer as a limited release. She could use some tweaking .

I decided to give this a full write up since it is retired.

Mine poured with a very lively head, I had to wait for it to finish the pour. A nice off-white heat, but too much. I don't think it's a 'live' beer, but that's the kind of head it had. Amber color beer.

Strong strawberry smell. To be expected for sure with a name like this, but almost, ok, really it was too much.

The taste was similar, a distinctive strawberry. Not much of the milk flavor comes through and no real suggestion of biscuit or cake to me, which is fine. I had the Key Lime Pie by Short's and you got the full range in that. With the key lime, it didn't really work. The strawberry took some getting used to, but it was a beer with strawberry, albeit too much. Contrast that with a strawberry lambic or a strawberry drink with a hint of beer.

Overall, not great, but it was ok. I was able to finish it. Not my mug of beer, really, but not the drain pour I feared. Kudos to Short's for the spirit of experimentation!

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle. Thanks surge1311.

Light copper with great clarity and a small beige head. Fine bubbles continually arise. Aroma is strong strawberry like candy or a strawberry milk. Taste follows closely with loads of artificial strawberry flavor and a firm sweetness. The flavors linger for some time. Too long in fact. Consistency is a bit thin with a low carbonation.

Not much beer to this beer. It seems better suited to someone that hates beer but wants to say they had one.

3.11/5  rDev -15%

12oz bottle into a orval glass.

Finally got to try this, after the great reviews I was really excited. Sadly, this is another Short's beer that is a huge let down...A medium copper pour with tons of head. Light tope head, soapy bubbly, small and compact. great retention, nice lava stack on the top...Aroma is super disappointing, light with only a whisp of sweetness coming through. Strawberries are there but so is the typical staleness that you would expect. A hint of graham cracker on the back which is nice...The taste gives you a quick burst of strawberry to start but then its gone and replaced again by staleness.

Strawberries cannot be replicated in a beer, stop trying. This sounds so much better than it is, don't bother.

3.14/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: a light brown with a reddish hue. Pretty clear. Small tan head that quickly fades.

Smell: sweet. Strawberry sweetness. Milk sugar sweetness and a bready scent

Taste: interesting how much it is actually like strawberry short cake. Opens up with sweet strawberries that give way to a bread taste and finishes off with sugar. My complaint is that the flavors are very artificial. The strong sweetness is overkill and adds to the artificitialty.

Mouthfeel: fairly heavy and full for the low alcohol. Finishes way to sweet.

Overall: this one is a dud in the shorts lineup. They usually do so well with this type of beer. But the sweetness is off putting and the taste is too artificial

3.14/5  rDev -14.2%

thanks to jrags8 for this one.
A: reddish-tinged deep amber, slight haze. light tan head w/pink highlights. very rocky, super dense, persistent head and thick, clingy lacing lasted all the way through the beer and then some.
S: strawberries, and, like the soft parade, something (earthy, funky?) i can't quite put my finger on.
T: light/medium sweetness washed out by a medium/full sourness. this would have been a lot more reminiscent of strawberry shortcake had they used paler biscuity/doughy malts, and if it were a little more balanced to sweet as opposed to sour. i wish they had tried to approximate the light sponge cake used in real strawberry shortcake with the malt bill.
M: frothy, well-carbonated. puckering. medium body, would have guessed this is bigger than the listed 5% abv.
D: i got the strawberries, and a bit of the lactose, but again would have liked a pale malt base to better approximate the namesake dessert. good on short's to get creative with attempts like this.

Strawberry Short's Cake from Short's Brewing Company