Microbrew Invitational

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by akorsak on 07-20-2009

Reviews: 146 | Ratings: 462
3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Enjoyed on tap at the brewpub. Yes, strawberry delight fruit beer. Reddish colour with Caesar head, and some lace. Average mouthfeel.Strawberry aroma,surprisingly tasty as a fruit beer. Not too sweet,was getting lactose, appropriate carbonation. Yes, dessert.

3.17/5  rDev -13.2%

Thanks to Exiled for sending me this one!

Pours a hazy light reddish-brown with a huge 3 inch bubbly white head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Random steaks of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smell is strawberry jam/jelly, biscuit, and strawberry candy. Taste is of the strawberry jam/jelly and artificially flavored strawberry candy. A bit of a sourness comes through as well. This beer is way too carbonated to the point where it almost hurts to drink. Much more carbonation than a soda. Overall, this is a pretty average beer with a better smell than taste. I have a feeling there is some infection issue at hand with the sourness and the excessive carbonation. None the less it's another interesting offering from Short's that I could imagine would be pretty good if things were under control.

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

Big thanks to RyanMcFly1985 for grabbing me this bottle as an extra. Thanks, Ryan! Reviewed from notes.

Pours a really nice color with some pink shading. A bit of head and lace. The nose is quite incredible and this is just a truly well-executed concept. I can pick out individual notes of cream, cake, and strawberries. Even the non-beer folks with us with were impressed with this one. While the notes were present and noticeable in the nose, the taste really just pulls everything together so that this really tastes like strawberry shortcake. I've heard that some of their other brews do this, but I've never had a successful experience with them converting this to the bottle. Lightly creamy and delicious. I did not have any problem finishing this.

4.47/5  rDev +22.5%

Several samples of this @ the 2009 Great Taste of the Midwest on 8/8/09. One of my favorites of the fest.

Pours a hazy, well..., strawberry! Topped with a layer of foamy off-white/pinkish head, this stayed rich the whole way through. The aroma is unbelievable in how is recreates a strawberry shortcake. Fresh strawberries up front, bready biscuit malts in the middle, and hell, there is even some sugary sweetness thrown in to mimic some whipped cream on top! A touch of floral hops in the back is the only thing that reminds me that this is a beer for crying out loud!

The taste, fortunately, mimics the aroma to a tee. Juicy strawberries, sugar and milk, and the shortcake like biscuity malts, which really makes this, giving the other flavors something to wrap around. Some moderate bittering hops ride throughout, once again dragging me back to the real world and reminding me that I'm drinking a beer. The mouthfeel is lighter-medium bodied, with a sharp prickle up front, that then gives way to an extremely silky feel underneath. This just moves those delicious flavors effortlessly across the palate.

Wow, just WOW! First it was Uber Goober. Then it was the PBJ beer they had at Extreme Beer Fest. And now this? Once again, they just NAILED the flavors here. I honestly can't think of a more delicious beer to enjoy during the summer.

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

so i decided last night to break out 10+, thats right 10+ new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

this was by far my wifes favorite beer of the night and i have to admit i did not mind it one bit either. a nice light yellow pour with a moderate amount of haze to it and a nice white head that fizzed up quickly and then settled down with a thin film of lacing..

aroma is strawberries and rich, sweet cream and cake. spot on given the name and by far the best food themed beer i have ever smelled. it was just soo dead on and at the same time not too much for me. light body with a clean and definite strawberry presence that again was not too much and hit it off just about right. really very nicely done with a huge sweet flavor that came in mid palate and cut right through the tight strawberry flavor. remarkably done and really just beyond a pleasant surprise for sure.

overall a wonderfully done experiment here that out of all the oddball shorts beers we tried worked really, really well for me.

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to Kevin for sending me this on.

A: We've got a gusher...once things settle down the pour is a red-tinted orange color, perhaps some pink, with a big white head.

S: Lots of sour (lactic) notes which you can smell far away from the glass. Definitely some tart berry notes as well, and I can pick up some sweetness from the milk sugar. A hint of buttery graham cracker crust.

T: Quite tart and dry with some moderate strawberry flavor. I get some of the same graham cracker crust as the nose exhibited, but not so much the sweetness.

M: The body is medium with tons of carbonation (due to the infection) and a very dry, tart finish.

D: This was pretty tough to drink due to the intense sourness. It's too bad Short's has so many problems as these beers all sound really great.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Thanks to the Central PA group from the Gang Bang BIF for this bottle!

Key Lime Pie didn't really taste like it's name would indicate, so let's hope this one does. It pours a clear tawny-amber topped by a finger of short-lived dirty white foam. The nose comprises slightly fake strawberry (like the syrup used to make snow cones), vanilla, cinnamon, and light tart berries. The taste brings in more of the same, along with some buttercream and light graham crackers. Gotta say, this stuff is kinda tasty. The body is a hefty-leaning light, with a heavy carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, it's clear at least the onset of infection has taken hold in this bottle, but it hasn't really negatively affected it too much. In fact, the resultant tartness lends some authenticity to the strawberry flavor. Frankly, though infected, I sorta enjoyed this beer.

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating(this has to be pretty old). Pours cloudy reddish orange color with a nice 2 finger fairly dense off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some light spotty lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of of big strawberry, cream, vanilla, angel food cake, biscuit, strawberry syrup, a some slight herbal. Very nice and authentic aromas going on here, with good strength and balance. Taste of big strawberry, cream, angel food cake, bread, vanilla, light caramel, and light herbal. Quite dry on the finish; with some light lingering notes of strawberry, bread, cake, and cream on the finish for an instant. A minimal amount of fruity tartness as well. Nice balance of flavors, and the crispness of the finish makes it very easy to drink and never get too sweet on the palate. Medium-high carbonation and medium bodied; with a very crisp and lightly syrupy mouthfeel that seems to work well for this. Alcohol is very well hidden with pretty much no warming noticed on the finish. Overall this is a damn nice experimental beer from Shorts! The flavors are well balanced and work together; with a nice crisp finish that makes this incredibly easy to drink without being cloying. I would definitely have more of this when it is bottled again.

3.43/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle from a 6 pack purchased in Ann Arbor as it came in off the delivery truck. Served in a snifter. Pours red-amber with very good clarity and small, shot-lived head.

An interesting fruit beer, with a bitter/sweet/tart taste tha leans a bit toward the sweet side, but leaving all 3 components apparent.
The strawberry smell and taste more like preserves than fresh berries and, while obvious, are nearly matched by the flavor of light malts. Aroma is too vegetative.

O: A fun and refreshing beer that's certainly worth trying.

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

Had this on tap at the great taste 2010

Color is an orange hued brown with some haze to it. Pours a light white head.

Aroma/Taste: The taste is exactly like the name says. It has a huge amount of strawberries. I was amazed by how much they got into this beer. It also tastes like I am eating cake. Not much of a biscuity flavor, but more of a sweet malty flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and refreshing. A medium body with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with more strawberries.

Overall, I was quite impressed with this beer. I could drink a lot of it on a hot summer day. Very drinkable and very good.

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

Review from notes. Thanks to Jay for opening this one up, one of the beers from Shorts I have wanted to try the most.

A: Pours a slightly hazy amber with a slightly reddish tint to it. Small off-white head forms and lasts for a few moments, spotty lacing.

S: Wow, the aroma reminds me of strawberry filling, and definitely get a little bit of angel food cake and biscuity malt. There is a little vanilla too.

T: Very similar to the aroma, plenty of sugary strawberry with some biscuity malt. Very sweet, certainly reminds me of its namesake.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Easy drinking with a sweet finish.

O: Extremely impressed, spot on with the flavor. Had no problem drinking it, would love to try some of the other off the wall offerings from Shorts.

4.44/5  rDev +21.6%

Adam picked up a sixer of this for me when he was at the brewery. Thanks man!

A: This beer appears a clear, light brown hue with hints of orange. There is a fairly small head that leaves little lacing.

S: The aroma is really amazing, in that it does in fact smell like strawberry shortcake.

T: This beer tastes like drinking a strawberry shortcake, if that were possible. Kudos to Short's, as this is obviously what the brewer intended.

M: The beer has a decent feel, without any cloying sweetness to it, which I found surprising.

D: I wouldn't want to drink a lot of these, but what a cool experience. Short's has boldly blurred the boundaries of craft beer once again.

3.29/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. I received a huge box of Short's goodies from MarcatGSB and this is my first of their truly weird concept beers.

Appearance - Overflowing poured into the pint glass. 50% beer, 50% head. Thick, creamy head with tightly knit bubbles. The body itself is a light amber with a good deal of murkiness. Wisps of strange sediment kept falling into my glass, which has me slightly worried.

Smell - Very odd smell. Yes, I get some faint strawberries, but otherwise it smells like toast and some sort of salted nuts. There's a faint smell of what I guess is the "cream" to this beer. It's off-putting.

Taste - The taste is redeeming. Creamy start with a fairly hoppy middle flavor. The flavor goes through so many iterations so quickly it's hard to pin down what each one tastes like. It's not sweet, although it seems like it wants to be. The finish is tart strawberries and a bit of bitterness. Interesting, for sure.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated and tingly. Strange flavors do put off the drinkability, though. I don't know that I'd want to drink this again, especially in more than one sitting.

Overall - Glad I got to try this. It's so bizarre that I'm quite tempted to see what these other beers are like. It seems I have the whole lineup of odd Short's beers. This is only the beginning.

I am not a fan of Short's in general. I think all of these PBJ beers and Key Lime pies never quite come out like they want but in the case of this beer, in a blind taste test I would have guess strawberry short cake. Congratulations, you've done it. Now perfect the pot roast beer.

Beer is kind of brown and has some haze to it. White head of small bubbles breaks in the middle and leaves very little lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate and appropriate.

The aroma is strongly strawberry and has almost a cream like note to it. I have to say that I'm generally weary of strawberry smelling and tasting beers. It is very difficult to pull off.

This beer tastes like it smells with one big important difference. Its actually quite bitter. I'm not sure what the bitterness is doing there or if its helping or hurting the strawberry flavor. The strawberry is definitely there though, its up front and proud. Right next to the creamy sweetness and mouthfeel. I guess the bitterness isn't really playing a role. Get rid of it and this would really be a strawberry short cake beer.

Thanks to RBlaszak for sharing this bottle. I have heard a lot about this beer so I am glad I got to try it. The beer pours a reddish-brown color with a large white head. The aroma is heavy on the strawberries with some caramel and bready malt. Very interesting. The flavor is more complex but just as good if not better. In addition to the strawberries, I get some caramel, graham crackers, vanilla and some light tartness. The fruit in the beer is very juicy and very enjoyable. I am not sure if the tartness is from an early infection or if it is intended, but it adds to the beer’s flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

(It should be noted that I had two of these beers, presumably from the same six pack. The other beer was drank a few days after the one I rated and it was badly infected and undrinkable).

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Pored a pinkish hazy orange with a huge 3 finger head and left lots of lacing sticking to the glass. I could definitely smell out the strawberry character in the aroma with some light milky sugary notes and a little acidic notes which I truely believe might be coming from an infection. Like I suspected this brew does seem like its infected from the tart flavor that probably should not be there but it did have a pleasent strawberry taste and slight milky sugary accents. The brew was medium in body with a gusher load of carbonation which had a sweet, fruity, lacto, sugary, and out of place tart finish. Drank decent but once again I'm dissapointed at the fact how lots of shorts beers I've had have been infected. They truely sound very intresting but I guess they have not gotten down the bottling process. I guess I might have to start overlooking these beers from shorts unless they start getting their act together as far as beer in a bottle.

I decided to give this a full write up since it is retired.

Mine poured with a very lively head, I had to wait for it to finish the pour. A nice off-white heat, but too much. I don't think it's a 'live' beer, but that's the kind of head it had. Amber color beer.

Strong strawberry smell. To be expected for sure with a name like this, but almost, ok, really it was too much.

The taste was similar, a distinctive strawberry. Not much of the milk flavor comes through and no real suggestion of biscuit or cake to me, which is fine. I had the Key Lime Pie by Short's and you got the full range in that. With the key lime, it didn't really work. The strawberry took some getting used to, but it was a beer with strawberry, albeit too much. Contrast that with a strawberry lambic or a strawberry drink with a hint of beer.

Overall, not great, but it was ok. I was able to finish it. Not my mug of beer, really, but not the drain pour I feared. Kudos to Short's for the spirit of experimentation!

1.92/5  rDev -47.4%

12 oz bottle shared by 321Jeff. Thanks!

Ewww. ewww. ewww. First whiff I get is of rotting garbage with spoiled strawberries freshly added to it. Appearance is a clear dark amber with a slight strawberry tinge and a fizzy, foamy off white head that has nice retention. The aroma definitely has a real seedy, strawberry presence but as mentioned before is also incredibly rancid. Carbonation is turned up way too high and is extremely fizzy. Flavor has hints of real, fruity strawberry with a mild lactic sweetness providing the illusion of cream. The combination of the spoilage, and hyperactive carbonation really kills any enjoyment I might have had of this.

4.54/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz gifted to me as a great 12 pack of Short's brews when Kbeals made a night out of hanging with me and the Boise peeps. Kevin was great company and is certainly good people... Thanks buddy.

Poured into my Old Guardian goblet... Nice 2 finger tan head.. the brew is orange... okay retention.. no lace .. and judging by the crackling bubbles this is gonna be pretty carbonated.

The aroma is "almost" everything advertised... Smuckers jam... bits of biscuit.. but the fruit is so far out front it demolishes everything else... still pretty damn amazing.

Berries are very present on the palate, yet not as much as the nose.. toasted bread and doughy malts really play well... I'm having a harder time picking out the milk sugars or anything resembling "cream", but that said, this brew delivers! The "shortcake" element really shows on the finish.. biscuity and fruit essence linger forever.

Carbonation seems a tad high, but this bottle was underfilled which likely led to the abundant bubbles.. the mouthfeel could use a bit of plushiness.

Astonished that this can be delivered on a liquid platform.. just awesome.... I had this numerous times at the '09 GABF and kept going back and braving the lines because I couldn't believe from pour to pour that it was good as my mind was making it out to be. It is. Believe... I do.

3.5/4.5/5/3.5/4.5

Big props once again to Kbeals.... Kevin, damn glad I had the honor of meeting you in person.... you are always welcome in Boise.

4.47/5  rDev +22.5%

Served on tap at Short's. Milk, sugar, strawberries and biscuit malt aim to recreate the strawberry shortcake experience.

A: The ale is an amber color, brown with just a mild touch of strawberry red. Don't get me wrong though, this one looks like an amber beer. A finger of head went nowhere.

S: The ale wants to recreate the strawberry shortcake experience, huh? It does with flying colors. Biscuit malt, sweet strawberries, lactoce and sugar take their turns up front. I'm floored that the beer smells this dead on.

T: Much like the nose, this one is a proud flagbearer for shortcake. Biscuit malts are chewy and dry, setting up the lactic sweetness, sugar and fresh strawberries. Strawberries litter the finish with a mild sweetness. I am really impressed by this one.

M: Strawberry shortcake. Except for the alcohol, this is a dead ringer for dessert.

D: I should have pressed harder for a growler, I'd love to share this beer with people. Kudos to Short's for shattering barriers with this beer.

3.72/5  rDev +1.9%

Received as an extra in a trade. Poured into Dogfish Head Chalice.

A - Pours a clear dark reddish amber hue with a light one finger head that fades quickly to leave a light, thin halo.

S - Faint strawberry and shortcake. LOTS of cake (but of old cake) with some slight sweetness.

T - Nice light strawberry and cake, like stale shortcake. Lingering sweetness with some light vanilla. Strawberry is faint but noticeable.

M - Mouthfeel is nice with solid carbonation, albeit a bit on the sweet side.

O - Overall too much overcooked shortcake for my liking. Tone that one back and amp up the strawberry and this ones a winner.

3.99/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle received as an extra.

Pours a jammy looking red, not very dark, or very light, right in the middle. There's a half inch head, with a small amount of lacing.

Smells quite like fresh strawberries, they translated the flavor pretty well. I am also picking up some vanilla.

The taste is similar. The wonderful fresh strawberry flavor, like sweet jam, is the overwhelming flavor, but I am getting some vanilla flavor that brings whipped cream to mind. I am not getting a whole lot "cake" flavor, however. This is really one-note, but luckily, I like that note.

This one is fairly light bodied, with a sweet, slightly sticky mouthfeel, and a lower level of carbonation. I'm glad the carbonation is lower, or this might have approached fruit soda territory.

A very interesting and tasty beer from Short's, a great fruit beer.

2.8/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle opened on 7.25.12.

A - Pours a dark brown with a hint of ruby. A fizzy light tan head forms and then is gone instantly.

S - Old strawberries.

T - Old, over-ripe strawberries.

D - Lower carbonation and a very light body.

O - Hmmm...close, no not really. I did not enjoy this one at all.

3.11/5  rDev -14.8%

12oz bottle into a orval glass.

Finally got to try this, after the great reviews I was really excited. Sadly, this is another Short's beer that is a huge let down...A medium copper pour with tons of head. Light tope head, soapy bubbly, small and compact. great retention, nice lava stack on the top...Aroma is super disappointing, light with only a whisp of sweetness coming through. Strawberries are there but so is the typical staleness that you would expect. A hint of graham cracker on the back which is nice...The taste gives you a quick burst of strawberry to start but then its gone and replaced again by staleness.

Strawberries cannot be replicated in a beer, stop trying. This sounds so much better than it is, don't bother.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap at the Clarkston Union. This is a hazy amber-straw color, with an almost white head. The aroma was not as strong for me as other reviewers, I got some strawberries but mostly toasted malts and maybe a hint of floral hops. Berries were in the background.

It tastes OK but not like strawberry shortcake, more like a pale ale with a little strawberry added. A little bitterness in the aftertaste, nothing objectionable in any way but not a strong strawberry flavor for me. The body was light, matching the fruit-infused pale ale style, and drinkability was great. An accessible beer for anybody, but not rich enough for me to get more than one.

Strawberry Short's Cake from Short's Brewing Company