Short's Kind Ale - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

40-50 IBU

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 12-06-2009)
Reviews by SammyDavisJrJrJr:
4.58/5  rDev +21.2%

Big thanks go Jeff (ImperialKing) for handing one of these over (and before the second round of torture!) Into The Bruery Tulip glass...

A - Light gold translucent body with light orange highlights. Nice bone-white head with decent retention and good lacing.

S - Very resiny with big fruit highlights (orange, graprefruit) and mild earthy and spice notes. Malt is clean, sweet, and light, not getting in the way of the hops. Smelled like hops, nice dank hops and that's all I ask for in a wet hopped ale.

T/M - Very mild pale malt sweetness in the entry, swallow, and lingering in the finish. The hops are spicy, earthy, and citrusy, overall very bright and sticky. Nothing to complain about here.

D - This is like the anti-Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale. The bittering hops and malt flavors are held back, preventing them from muddling the aroma and flavor hops, and as such it's m,y new favorite wet-hopped ale. Fantastic, another great product from Short's.

SammyDavisJrJrJr, Dec 09, 2009

tectactoe, Mar 19, 2014

hotglassmama, Nov 30, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

Received this beer from mjd83goblue in the Local Goods II BIF. I got about 9 Short's Brewery Beers and this is the first one I've tried.

A - Poured into a mini snifter (which is so cool looking -- probably about 4 or 5 oz.) so I couldn't get too aggressive with the pour. Still, had a nice lacing of cream colored head which faded slowly. As for color, I'm seeing hazy copper.

S - The smell is pretty impressive. I had to sniff this one about 8 or 9 times -- you know, get my nose way down into this snifter -- to figure out what that smell was. I'm getting some bananas and then some strong raspberries, followed by a hint of hops in the background.

T - Taste follows suit -- Slight hops, but some bananas and a lot of raspberries.

M - Mouthfeel is nice - medium bodied, fairly creamy. Not too abrasive.

D - Very drinkable! I would both recommend this beer to others and have a few more myself!

This was my first beer from Short's Brewery -- sounds like they have a lot more great beers to offer!

LSUExplorer03, Jan 09, 2010

danthehopslamman, Oct 22, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Pours a yellowish honey color with one finger of head. Head as decent retention. Pretty nice lacing.

S - A lot of citrus and a bit grassy. Don't get much malt in the nose.

T - Again, nice grassy and citrus hops up front. A bit of biscuit malt. Small amount of pine on this finish. Not bad, and better than some of Short's other hop-forward beers that often seem to have a harshness to them.

M - A little thinner than I would like, but a nice dry finish with bitterness that lingers for awhile.

O - A pretty good wet hopped ale, but not something I need to revisit.

warnerry, Nov 15, 2011

sculls65, Nov 18, 2011

mjtiernan, Nov 15, 2011

mikerap100, May 25, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Reappropriated, Nov 30, 2013

king75, Nov 05, 2013
3.78/5  rDev 0%

Fresh batch from December. Pours creamy, very lacey and foaming over golden coloured body. Aroma of the wet hops, taste of the wet hops. Hoppy and good wet hop bitterness, without shredding the palate. Abv not listed, but feels in the 6-7% range. Very decent mouthfeel for an IPA, which it is rather than a pale.

Sammy, Feb 07, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Light amber color that's translucent with not much head. The smell is piney and grassy. This pale ale seems to be more malty than hoppy. I do pick up light citrus notes. The mouthfeel is light. Overall, a little disappointing but still an OK beer. I think I would look for other wet hops before this.

33nickadams, Nov 04, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -25.9%

12oz bottle shared by bring on BA - thanks, Barry! largadeer was there and looking at his rating below, it seemed he really like this one.

Pours a hazy golden color with a small white head and decent lacing.

Aroma is rough fresh leafy and citrus hops and some very slight vegetal notes. Smells good, but hints at a little DMS.

Flavor is very vegetal with cooked corn and a little butter. Lots of DMS/diacetyl in this one. Leafy hops and sweet malt play a supporting role.

Medium bodied with a nice carbonation level. Mildly palate wrecking. Overall this was close to being a good beer, but the off-flavors really threw me.

nickd717, Jan 29, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Another Short's beer thanks to MarcatGSB. This one appears to be pretty normal.

Appearance - Clear golden body with a minimal head. No retention. Minimal lacing. Kinda blah.

Smell - Citrus hops and a touch of grass. Not a lot from the malt. Nice hop aroma. Weak, but what's there is nice.

Taste - Hey, this tastes pretty good. Hop-forward pale ale. Hardly a trace of malt. The hop flavor is nice. The only downside is an intense bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - That bitterness is killer, really. It's an easy drinking beer aside from that. Decent carb and a decent body for putting it away easily.

Overall - I'm surprised the reviews for this aren't higher. Usually a B rated beer has some sort of off-flavor, but this tastes pretty good. Not stellar, but good.

Alieniloquium, Nov 27, 2011

beergorrilla, Nov 12, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

mzeld, Oct 13, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a pint glass a crisp, clear golden with a finger of white foamy head. nose is immediate dank hops; pine, floral, citrus but also resinous and pure hop oil: as a wet hop ale should be. Taste follows the nose closely; very bitter hops upfront. Citrus rind, grapefruit peel, pine needles; a palate wrecker. There is hardly any malt balance but don't think I'm complaining. Its a great hop forward pale ale. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied, very dry sensation, heavy chew.
Overall, this is a fresh wet hopped ale that really delivered for me. I wish I had of grabbed the full 6-pack now! Recommended.

heebes, Oct 21, 2011

Acuity, Oct 13, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

DrIPA, Oct 24, 2013

cates1tg, Nov 25, 2011
3.64/5  rDev -3.7%

A- golden color with a small head that disappeared after a short time, a little hazy

S- mostly the hops come through on the smell, maybe some citrus but nothing overpowering

T- strong hop taste with citrus mingled in, and at the end I get hit with a strong hop flavor that lingers

M- mild nothing over powering, not as smooth as I would have figured from looking at it

O- not bad one of my first wet hopped beers in awhile, mine sat in the fridge a little longer than probably is ideal, so I weighed that in but a beer that a hop lover should try at least once

Stu_Grimson, Dec 11, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

kirkse, Dec 27, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

New Beer Friday! A huge thanks for this beer from kzoobrew. Cheers buddy!

Appearance - Pours a slight hazy copper color into my SA Perfect Pint. About two fingers of fluffy white head with a vigorous pour which is beginning to leave nice looking lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - I get cooked celery, cabbage, dill, and other grassy smells with slight hops. That really is about all I'm getting here.

Taste - Now, this beer seems to be kind of a love/hate thing from looking at reviews. Honestly, I find the taste intriguing. I can definitely taste the cabbage in this, along with cooked carrots. There is a slight salty aftertaste like that reminiscent after having a dill pickle or sauerkraut (both of which I love). I have always been a very "bitter/sour" guy (aka I love cabbage, sauerkraut, pickles, mustard, etc - anything that has that bitterness to it) - thus, this beer which I feel incorporates a these type of vegetables/the style is not at all off putting to me. It is by NO means the worst bear, nor near the worst beer I've tried. With that said, I know what the average person likes, and I guarantee you the average BA would not like this. Oh well, I feel fortunate to try this! I wouldn't grab a six pack and sit down for a great session, but I sure wouldn't turn one of these down in the future. Actually, I'm going to go grab a pickle right now to pair with this to see how it goes.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - Overall it's pretty drinkable - again, I wouldn't sit there and down a six pack, but honestly, I'd easily drink this again.

SpdKilz, Feb 20, 2010