Short's Kind Ale - Short's Brewing Company

40-50 IBU
Ratings: 212 | Reviews: 76
Reviews by SportsandJorts:
3.8/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: a orangish yellow color. good clarity. a finger of white head that leaves a nice lacing

Smell: juicy hops. mango, lots of citrus. lighter on the bitter hop aspect.

Taste: starts off with a lemon-bread taste, partially from hops and partially from malts. transitions more towards a juicy hops taste. ends with a huge hop resin bitterness

Mouthfeel: huge lingering business. too much that takes from the drinkability.

Overall: good taste but overly bitter. a good beer for the wet hop lover but nothing that blew me away

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%

Received this beer from mjd83goblue in the Local Goods II BIF. I got about 9 Short's Brewery Beers and this is the first one I've tried.

A - Poured into a mini snifter (which is so cool looking -- probably about 4 or 5 oz.) so I couldn't get too aggressive with the pour. Still, had a nice lacing of cream colored head which faded slowly. As for color, I'm seeing hazy copper.

S - The smell is pretty impressive. I had to sniff this one about 8 or 9 times -- you know, get my nose way down into this snifter -- to figure out what that smell was. I'm getting some bananas and then some strong raspberries, followed by a hint of hops in the background.

T - Taste follows suit -- Slight hops, but some bananas and a lot of raspberries.

M - Mouthfeel is nice - medium bodied, fairly creamy. Not too abrasive.

D - Very drinkable! I would both recommend this beer to others and have a few more myself!

This was my first beer from Short's Brewery -- sounds like they have a lot more great beers to offer!

3.62/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a yellowish honey color with one finger of head. Head as decent retention. Pretty nice lacing.

S - A lot of citrus and a bit grassy. Don't get much malt in the nose.

T - Again, nice grassy and citrus hops up front. A bit of biscuit malt. Small amount of pine on this finish. Not bad, and better than some of Short's other hop-forward beers that often seem to have a harshness to them.

M - A little thinner than I would like, but a nice dry finish with bitterness that lingers for awhile.

O - A pretty good wet hopped ale, but not something I need to revisit.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Fresh batch from December. Pours creamy, very lacey and foaming over golden coloured body. Aroma of the wet hops, taste of the wet hops. Hoppy and good wet hop bitterness, without shredding the palate. Abv not listed, but feels in the 6-7% range. Very decent mouthfeel for an IPA, which it is rather than a pale.

3.44/5  rDev -9.7%

Light amber color that's translucent with not much head. The smell is piney and grassy. This pale ale seems to be more malty than hoppy. I do pick up light citrus notes. The mouthfeel is light. Overall, a little disappointing but still an OK beer. I think I would look for other wet hops before this.

2.85/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle shared by bring on BA - thanks, Barry! largadeer was there and looking at his rating below, it seemed he really like this one.

Pours a hazy golden color with a small white head and decent lacing.

Aroma is rough fresh leafy and citrus hops and some very slight vegetal notes. Smells good, but hints at a little DMS.

Flavor is very vegetal with cooked corn and a little butter. Lots of DMS/diacetyl in this one. Leafy hops and sweet malt play a supporting role.

Medium bodied with a nice carbonation level. Mildly palate wrecking. Overall this was close to being a good beer, but the off-flavors really threw me.

3.77/5  rDev -1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Another Short's beer thanks to MarcatGSB. This one appears to be pretty normal.

Appearance - Clear golden body with a minimal head. No retention. Minimal lacing. Kinda blah.

Smell - Citrus hops and a touch of grass. Not a lot from the malt. Nice hop aroma. Weak, but what's there is nice.

Taste - Hey, this tastes pretty good. Hop-forward pale ale. Hardly a trace of malt. The hop flavor is nice. The only downside is an intense bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - That bitterness is killer, really. It's an easy drinking beer aside from that. Decent carb and a decent body for putting it away easily.

Overall - I'm surprised the reviews for this aren't higher. Usually a B rated beer has some sort of off-flavor, but this tastes pretty good. Not stellar, but good.

4.59/5  rDev +20.5%

Big thanks go Jeff (ImperialKing) for handing one of these over (and before the second round of torture!) Into The Bruery Tulip glass...

A - Light gold translucent body with light orange highlights. Nice bone-white head with decent retention and good lacing.

S - Very resiny with big fruit highlights (orange, graprefruit) and mild earthy and spice notes. Malt is clean, sweet, and light, not getting in the way of the hops. Smelled like hops, nice dank hops and that's all I ask for in a wet hopped ale.

T/M - Very mild pale malt sweetness in the entry, swallow, and lingering in the finish. The hops are spicy, earthy, and citrusy, overall very bright and sticky. Nothing to complain about here.

D - This is like the anti-Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale. The bittering hops and malt flavors are held back, preventing them from muddling the aroma and flavor hops, and as such it's m,y new favorite wet-hopped ale. Fantastic, another great product from Short's.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into a pint glass a crisp, clear golden with a finger of white foamy head. nose is immediate dank hops; pine, floral, citrus but also resinous and pure hop oil: as a wet hop ale should be. Taste follows the nose closely; very bitter hops upfront. Citrus rind, grapefruit peel, pine needles; a palate wrecker. There is hardly any malt balance but don't think I'm complaining. Its a great hop forward pale ale. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied, very dry sensation, heavy chew.
Overall, this is a fresh wet hopped ale that really delivered for me. I wish I had of grabbed the full 6-pack now! Recommended.

3.62/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- golden color with a small head that disappeared after a short time, a little hazy

S- mostly the hops come through on the smell, maybe some citrus but nothing overpowering

T- strong hop taste with citrus mingled in, and at the end I get hit with a strong hop flavor that lingers

M- mild nothing over powering, not as smooth as I would have figured from looking at it

O- not bad one of my first wet hopped beers in awhile, mine sat in the fridge a little longer than probably is ideal, so I weighed that in but a beer that a hop lover should try at least once

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

New Beer Friday! A huge thanks for this beer from kzoobrew. Cheers buddy!

Appearance - Pours a slight hazy copper color into my SA Perfect Pint. About two fingers of fluffy white head with a vigorous pour which is beginning to leave nice looking lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - I get cooked celery, cabbage, dill, and other grassy smells with slight hops. That really is about all I'm getting here.

Taste - Now, this beer seems to be kind of a love/hate thing from looking at reviews. Honestly, I find the taste intriguing. I can definitely taste the cabbage in this, along with cooked carrots. There is a slight salty aftertaste like that reminiscent after having a dill pickle or sauerkraut (both of which I love). I have always been a very "bitter/sour" guy (aka I love cabbage, sauerkraut, pickles, mustard, etc - anything that has that bitterness to it) - thus, this beer which I feel incorporates a these type of vegetables/the style is not at all off putting to me. It is by NO means the worst bear, nor near the worst beer I've tried. With that said, I know what the average person likes, and I guarantee you the average BA would not like this. Oh well, I feel fortunate to try this! I wouldn't grab a six pack and sit down for a great session, but I sure wouldn't turn one of these down in the future. Actually, I'm going to go grab a pickle right now to pair with this to see how it goes.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - Overall it's pretty drinkable - again, I wouldn't sit there and down a six pack, but honestly, I'd easily drink this again.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks to Telix for this 12 oz bottle.

A: The pale ale is a radiant golden color, clear as day except for the stream of carbonation. Not much head to report on in this beer.

S: The pale ale is mildly hopped, offering just a splash of concentrated bitterness. What the ale offers is a little bit of citrus, some grapefruit, and pepper. The leafiness is strong, leaving a lush vegetal aroma.

T: Mmm, the ale starts off sharp, with carbonation leaving a bite. Following that, the hops take over. First, a medicinal aspirin flavor emerges, followed by vegetal hops and citrus. As the hops settle down, caramel malts, biscuity, pick up the slack. Mild bitterness sees the ale away.

M: The mouthfeel is robust, to say the least. The vegetal fresh hop flavors are strong, off-putting even, but deliver a solid resiny presence.

D: The wetness of the hops is unmistakable, only with a much stronger vegetal presence. The ale takes a bit of time to get used to but it works.

The first beer of the night for me last night, I cracked this one open the second I walked into the house. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was enjoyed on 01/22/2010.

The pour was very nice for the style. Lightly clouded amber in color with a nice head of off white that clung to the sides of the glass and was continually reinforced with carbonation that was easily visible. Aroma was wet, resin filled hops dominate here and really start to push through the air the more it warms. Light touches of sweet malts balance it nicely and provide a buttery depth to the palate that comes across very well. Smooth, well balanced flavor here lets the hops settle on the back of the tongue with a sticky softness and allows the pine flavor to take front and center, warming however tends to bring out more mellow and subdued bready notes. Long finish was subtle and sweet and really capped off a very nice session.

Overall I was quite impressed with this one. An above average harvest ale for sure and a nice way to start an evening.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Coppery amber color with perfect clarity. Forms a lumpy froth of eggshell-while head that leaves copious lacing on the glass.
N: Herbal and piney hops present a nice bouquet, smells very sweet with a touch of warming alcohol. Hints of butterscotch and caramel in the back of the nose.
T: Has an interesting honey sweetness up front, followed by a nice burst of pine resin and herbal hops. Not terribly complex but the wet hop character is certainly interesting.
M: Carbonation is good but there is a 'wet' feel on the palate that pushes the carbonation to second chair. Leaves a slight stickyness at the end.
Overall a pretty drinkable beer, not the best representation of Short's, but not bad either.

1.28/5  rDev -66.4%

Thanks, Barry. Hazy gold with a small white cap that recedes to a ring. Bizarre vegetable aroma; cabbage, tomatoes, celery. There's not much I can pick out in the way of standard hop aroma, though the vegetable character seems to be coming from the hops. Maybe. On the palate it's rather slick and buttery up front, semi-sweet with more weird vegetable hop flavor. It cleans up quite a bit in the finish, ending on a dry and bitter note. What an odd beer. The diacetyl and strange hop flavor are pretty horrendous.

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A & S: WOW great smell right off the bat. A pungent aroma of piney citrus (grapefruit) hops. The perfect smell for an APA, although not super complex. The looks isn’t too hot. Clear carbonated pee look. The head keeps a thin layer on the top of the beer and the lacing is actually pretty good.

T & M: Really not at all what I expected, after the amazing aroma I smelled at first. The hoppyness isn’t coming through because the beer is very bitter (not even just in the finish, its just bitter throughout). There are also tones of earthy grass notes. Its a bit complex ill give it that, im tasting more of the piney hops way far into the after taste and in the burlps. The carbonation is pretty shape at first and then dies down a bit. Medium to low carbonation.

O: not super impressed by this beer. Shorts puts out some interesting seasonal every year, but usually it hit or miss (and more so miss). This one is would say isn’t as bad as some, but nothing very enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

I had this at the November Baltimore Area BA tasting. Poured from the bottle into a tasting snifter.

Appearance; The beer poured a clear amber color with a quarter finger of off white head. The bubbles are quite large. The head fades to a ring around the pour.

Smell: Lots of hops in the nose. Slightly fruity with some pine and citrus peel notes. Just enough malt to balance things out.

Taste: As in the smell, the taste is full of hoppy goodness. Pine and citrus peel bitterness hit the tongue pretty hard. Just enough malt to take the edge off. I'm getting a slightly fruity note. The finish is really bitter.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with tingly, smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one had a very nice bitterness level. It was quite easy to drink and I'd have more in the future. One of my favorites from Short's.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Kind Ale last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I missed out on this beer last year so I made sure to get a couple bottles to try this year and I'm in the mood for a Harvest Ale,, so lets see how it goes. This is the first time in awhile that I have actually seen a bottle date on a Short's brew, hopefully they will be more consistent, bottled on September 25th 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's a nice picture of one of the Short's staff holding up a freshly cut hop bine, i like it. It poured a nice and hazy golden color that took on a nice orange and amber hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of sticky white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts out with tons of citrus hops that impart a very fruity aroma with some blood orange, mango, and orange juice aromas with grapefruit and apricot seeming to stick out the most. I also get a light bready and caramel like malt aroma that has a medium amount of sweetness, but it's quickly overpowered by the citrus hops. This beer is full of hop and citrus aromas, I really like it, I could be a little more balanced but I wouldn't want to lose any of those kick ass citrus fruit aromas.

T- The taste starts off with lots of nice citrus hop flavors, all those nice citrus fruit aspects that I got in the aroma show up nicely with the apricot and grapefruit still sticking out the most. After that comes some nice earthy hops flavors followed by some sweet malts that impart a bready and grainy flavor. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness with an earthy and citrus aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it was a little unbalanced but the hops really shined through like intended and deliver lots of nice fresh hop flavors.

M- Pretty smooth, fairly dry on the finish, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it felt a little thinner then I would like, but the mouthfeel still worked well with this brew.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good and true example of a Harvest Ale, I wouldn't have this listed as an APA, if you tried you would know that it's much more similar to an American IPA, but it fits nicely into the Harvest Ale category for me and it delivers in all aspects. This beer had good drinkability, it went to down pretty smooth while still having a good amount of bitterness and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink two or three of these but the bitterness could start to be to much after that. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and taste they were both pretty good and full of fresh hops which is exactly what I want in this kind of beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad by any means but it just felt a little watery and I think a slightly fuller mouthfeel would make this beer just a little better. I would buy this beer again, I will for sure be buying a six pack if it's released next year, I highly recommend this beer to anyone who loves hoppy beers, the fresh hop flavors are sure to satisfy. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it was full of fresh hop flavors that dominated this beer and were very nicely done, good job Short's you guys can make some crazy and unusual beers but when it comes down to it Short's produces some of the best hopped up beers in Michigan which I think can go head to head with some of Bell's and Founders popular hoppy beers, keep making great brews and I'll keep drinking them. I also like this one a little more then Ale la Reverend.

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Kind Ale pours a classic looking light to medium amber color that is typical for a pale ale. It has a delicate cap of foam that slowly fades to a thin layer over the top of the beer. It leaves ample lacing on the sides of the glass.

The aroma is quite different than most wet hopped ales I have tried thus far. It is dank and resinous with notes of pine and grapefruit, but it also possesses some herbaceous, almost minty notes. The hop aromas are not as pronounced as in many other ales of this style, but they definitely dominate the fairly neutral smelling malt sweetness in the aroma.

The flavor is way smoother than I had expected it to be. The hops seem to take on even more of a minty quality and mingle well with the bready malt that also has a bit of a toasted grain character to it as well. Some floral notes also make their way into the flavor. I have to say that I would prefer this to be a bit more in my face, but at the same time I am enjoying all the different flavors and the fact that this is different than your usual wet hopped ale.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with a fairly low amount of carbonation. It still seems appropriate for style though. The finish is resiny, but not overly so. It leaves some nice hop flavors after swallowing.

This is definitely not your standard wet hopped beer, but I really dig all the different flavors as well as the balanced approach. I can’t say that I like it more than a beer like Founder’s Harvest Ale, but I can say that I think it is a lot better than many people give it credit for.

3.86/5  rDev +1.3%

if you are a hop head and you can get it then do so, it is only available in the fall as it is a "harvest Ale" or "wet hopped ale" basically it is only available shortly after the new years hops crop is harvested. The hops are put into the wort and fermenting beer still fresh off the vine.

3.47/5  rDev -8.9%

A - Pours a light golden orange, very slightly hazy, with a finger or two of snow white head. It leaves some nice lacing down the glass.

S - Very nice hop aroma, lots of earthiness and citric acidity. I'm excited to take a sip. There's maybe a touch of simple, sweet malt in there, but the delicious hops are in charge.

T - Hmm... this does not live up to the aroma. There's some earthy, herbal hoppiness, but it's a little one-dimensional, with none of the explosive citrus that the nose hinted toward -- don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting an IPA, but the aroma set the bar and the taste fell way short.

M - Kinda thin, but perfectly reasonable for a pale ale. There's a nice prickle of carbonation.

Overall, I love Short's, but Kind Ale is kinda mediocre. Oh well.

3.3/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes.

The color is a light golden orange color. A bit of a white head without too much lacing. The nose brings some very light citrus hops but not too much else. The taste is some really timid hops as well as a bit of pale malt. Feel has good carbonation and the appropriate body, but utterly lacking in hops for an APA. Nothing wrong with the beer as brewed, but not a very good pale ale.

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%

The most exciting part of the pour is the slightly green tint. Not much head and no lacing.

The smell is very herbal featuring mint and maybe even some oregano. A bit of citrus creeps in at the end.

Earthy flavors lead the taste with tons of grass and spruce. The majority of the flavor is up front with a very mild malt bill.

Medium carbonation and a medium light feel accompany the taste.

This is a unique brew and a fun offering from Short's. Extra points for the label and name.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Viggo shared this one. thanks eric!

12oz bottle. sampled jan 16/2010.

pours hazy pale orangey amber with a small pure white head. the head drops fairly fast but leaves a bunch of spotty lace behind.

aroma is nice. light alcohol. resiny hops. grapefruit and orange. bit of pine. woody and a bit floral. cracker, white bread, and a bit of biscuit. bit of cat pee.

taste is nice. orange and tangerine. light grapefruit. much less pine and a less resiny hop presence overall. touch of sweetness, but more citrusy than caramel or sugar. cracker and white bread. touch of biscuit. light alcohol. about medium-low bitterness level. the hops are less assertive than i expected from the aroma.

mouthfeel is nice. fairly night body. just under medium carbonation level.

drinkability is pretty good. fairly balanced, but everything seems more muted than i expected. i thought there'd be more hops, more body, more malt... it just leaves me wanting more.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Another extra from surlytheduff. Thanks again man!

This beer had very little head... And I was worried it was an issue- but no, it has nice carbonation.
The body is honey/apricot color with minimal head, lace, and retention.

Smells assertively hopped. The hops are floral and citrus and quite nice.
The flavor is VERY dry, and well-hopped. A strong bitterness lingers on the exceptionally dry finish.
Feel is pretty good-- a touch on the thin side, but good carbonation.

Overall-- hey hey! It's a shorts beer I liked. It's an Xmas miracle!

Short's Kind Ale from Short's Brewing Company