The Liberator - Short's Brewing Company

The LiberatorThe Liberator

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: jt31914 on 12-18-2009)

mikerap100, Dec 21, 2013

Scparks, Dec 11, 2012

joelBfrasier, Nov 25, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bold clean full tasting beer. This is surely in my top 5 of all Shorts ales and maybe even of all beers. Bam is the taste you'll have once this hop filled tasty hits your mouth. Drink it colder than normal and it seems like the hops are great enhanced.

Mailhouse, Jul 20, 2013
4.83/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a hommel bier tulip. Extra special thanks to Randalld for this from our recent trade!

A: Pours a protein hazed tarnished copper color with a damn near perfect cap of light orange foam on top that retained for ages and left a thick sheet of lace coating the inside of the glass.

S: As soon as I popped off the cap, I was greeted with the advertised "Lemon & Orange Zest". I found it to be more of a compliment (than fully realised seperate flavors) to the avalanche of pine in the nose. Unbelievable levels of pine. A bit of sweet caramel adds the perfect amount of harmony.

T: See above. It just doesn't get much better than this. The pine, citrus, and caramel work together in perfect balance. I am awed and humbled!

M: Initial mouthfeel is full and slick and then it turns spicy with a sharp hoppy bitterness. Very sticky and resinous, it stuck itself to every square inch of the inside of my mouth.

D: Oh please, oh please bring Shorts to IL! The few spring/summer/fall weekends we spend in west MI are not nearly enough to satisfy our cravings!

GbVDave, Jan 09, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +21.4%

The most pungent, herbal Double IPA that I have ever tasted! Cloudy, light amber color. Medium head and body. Much less malt sweetness than HopSlam. At $13.99 a six pack, it is much more reasonably priced than many DIPAs. I can buy almost every great DIPA here in Michigan, and this is the one I'll pick!

CraftAle, Jan 14, 2010

JamesZ, Aug 08, 2013

Nich7601, Apr 13, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

I am really impressed with this beer. I haven't tasted anything like this before. Right when you pop the cap and the citrus hops scrub out your sinus cavities, you know that it means business.

What I love about this beer is the lemony hops mixed with the dank hops. It almost tastes like weed TBH. Being a DIPA brewer, I would really like to clone this beer...that is how impressed I am.

This brew is exactly what I love in a DIPA. It has a nice dark copper-orange color, a potent hop aroma, a thick resiny body that coats your palate, and a hop kick that pulls on the back of your tongue and lingers for several minutes after a drink.

My new brewing quest is to try to clone this bad boy. Mmmm...if you are so lucky to even see this brew, pay the $16 and enjoy it while you can.

P.S. Don't even waste your money on Hopslam...Liberate yourself. You will be much happier.

SpinachEater, Jan 12, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +18.6%

A- Pours the typical IPA orange hue with a considerably thin head, and great carbonation. Very slight lacing.

S- The aroma of IBUs. I could just smell this beer all day long. There's also notes of lemon and citrus like the packaging suggests. It all comes together to blatantly say that this beer will be bitter, and for that reason I love it. It's blatant and unmistakable.

T- There's hops in the front or is it citrus? or is it citrus hops? It all blends quite well, and doesn't seem to lean more to the hops or to the citrus. Luckily for me, I enjoy the balance quite well. On top of the taste it doesn't take long at all for the bitter aftertaste to build up. Later on in the beer pine notes emerge too. After a minute or so I thought to myself that I may be missing something, and then it struck me; the malt bill. To be honest, there wasn't much malt to speak of. After a minute or two of letting it sit, I may have noticed hints of caramel. This is the kind of boldness I'd love to see in all DIPA's.

M- Medium thick, almost syrupy. Goes down pretty smooth and leaves a slightly sticky finish. Not actually too dry for a DIPA.

D- A hint of booze in a background way. Not really noticable unless you're looking for it.

Went on a trip to the states to pick up Hopslam and this. I feel that this get's buried by the HopSlam hype. It seems to be overlooked and it's a shame. I find not only does it compete with some of the best for bitterness, but it has a superb price as well. I plan to get this again before it's all gone. I'd recommend that any hop loving fan of bitterness picks this up. This beer does wonders for 7.4%. A more or less sessionable DIPA without not lacking flavor . It's a giant shame this is seasonal.

BBP, Feb 11, 2011