Short's PB & J - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: kegger22 on 12-18-2009

4.05/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks to Adam for sharing a few of these with me over the years.

Dark brown appearance with hints of crimson and approx. 1/4" of tan head. Aroma = peanut butter sandwich. perhaps a slight vegetal note, but I haven't had any truly negative experiences with this beer. Flavor is nutty, earthy. Roasted peanuts with a sweet, sugary, jam character. PB&J in a glass, as advertised. Really fun to try and best in small doses.

3.16/5  rDev -10%

Thanks for sharing, j47paco

Look: Dark brown in color with traces of red throughout the beer. 1/8 inch tan head and some spotty lacing

Smell: This smell like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in a glass the nose is perfect for what they were trying to do

Taste: Unfortunately the taste does fall short and instead of resembling a PB&J it is kind of a mess in a glass. It has a tart fruitness character and a stale peanut taste to it. There is also a bit of caramel on the back end. As great as the nose was the taste is almost equal bad.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation

Overall: Glad I got to try this one but I have no interest in trying it again.

2.77/5  rDev -21.1%

Thanks for sharing, j47paco!

Dark brown in color throughout with ruby and auburn edges. There's a thin light brown head that leaves spots of lace down the glass.

The aroma is as advertised! This smell's like a messy, dripping, kindergartner's peanut butter and jelly sandwich: mild breadiness, sticky Skippy peanut butter, and sweet strawberry jam! Unique, unusual, and honestly, pretty crazy.

Unfortunately, the flavor falls significantly away from the aroma, though I really had no idea what to expect even after sniffing this one for some time. This beer is pretty acidic and sharp, somewhat sweet, and there's a bit of bread and nuttiness left over, but there's nothing much here to enjoy or appreciate. It seems like an old, acidic, slightly soured (and not in a good way) nut brown ale.

Medium mouthfeel with enough carbonation, though somewhat sharp and a bit abrasive.

So glad I got to try this, thanks Juan! That being said, the liquid in the glass smelled far better than it tasted.

2.95/5  rDev -16%

Thanks to CellarSpace for sharing this one last night.

This pours dark brown with a tan head that stuck around leaving decent lace. On the nose there is a foul vegetal note that really ruins the rest of what's going on for me. It's almost like rotting brussel sprout. There is some grape something going on underneath, but it's buried far beneath layers of vegetal waste. In the mouth the beer isn't so bad, as the vegetal note almost disappears beneath grape, maybe strawberry, and peanut. The body is medium and the finish is tolerable with the better flavors sticking longest.

This is the case of a decent beer utterly sunk by one category. If the awful nose were replaced with something else, this might be something I could drink again. As it stands, no.

I was surprised with this one. Much darker than I expected. Nice head. Smells like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that was left in the car for like 4 hours. Tastes of strawberry jam, peanut butter on the aftertaste. Beautiful when you think about it. So unique! Very carbonated, fit the beer well, but curious as to what it would taste like without all the carbonation. I dug this beer. Big ups to BA Bringthebail for bringing this to our tasting.

2.71/5  rDev -22.8%

12oz bottle poured into large tulip - thanks to donerik

Pours a deep browned color, almost black. A frothy beige head bubbles up and slowly dissolves, retaining for a bit and leaving plenty of lacing on the glass.

Very interesting nose with hints of bread crust, toasted malt, sweet jelly fruit and some nuttiness. Also a note of metallic tartness which has been plaguing many Short's bottles I've opened recently.

Here we go again - Some slight notes of sweet fruit and breaded malt are completely blown away by rampant sourness. Biting metallic citric acid and sourness pretty much destroyed the entire profile on this one. I taste barely anything resembling the base beers.

Medium body, way high carbonation, prickly and abrasive. This is the 3rd beer in a row that I've had from Short's that's been off, and this is the worst one yet. A major disappointment as I like Oober Goober and was really interested in trying this. I'll re-review if I get another bottle down the line.

3.96/5  rDev +12.8%

A- For a Short's brew, it looks extremely nice. That being said, it's one of the first brews that I've had from them that's maintained a head for the duration of the drink. It looks like a stout, although it's classified as a fruit/vegetable beer. Nice lacing as well.

S- Boozy in a lambic way. Very sharp fruit aromas. Raspberries and then more raspberries. It smelled like a brew with a much higher ABV then I expected. After looking it up, the 8% sounds about right.

T- Surprise! It's sour. I was expecting a Peanut taste first and then some fruit to come in after. The jam is the bigger part of the taste for sure. The peanut butter has a heavier presence in the aftertaste, and it's there longer, but the jam is extremely dominant in the beginning. The flavors never really seemed to reach a middle ground.

M- Creamy, full, and light without being thin. Once again a nice feeling beer from Shorts. A very dry finish to this one. Only slightly sticky though.

D- I'm not going to be objective here and rate drinkability for the style. It's very much like a sour and that would be unfair. For what it's worth I don't find many sour beers to be highly drinkable. I can say that the booze blends quite well with the sourness, and doesn't slow me down much though.

I came into this wondering how they could emulate peanut butter and jam, but in a beer, and I can't say I was blown away. It had both flavors, but it didn't live up to it's name. That being said, I'd like to see a brewery try and do better. Given the difficulty of the goal, I'd say that Short's was successful with this brew.

All in all, a very interesting drink. I'd recommend picking up one to try, but I'd hold off on getting a case.

3.12/5  rDev -11.1%

Bottle. Poured into a tulip glass a dark brown color with a farily fizzy tan head that quickly settles to collar around the glass. The aroma is a mixture of slight leather, grape, and molasses. If I close my eyes, this does actually remind me of a PB&J, one that has sat in a lunch box and got warm and smelly. Wow, very sweet off the front end and surprise, surprise the mouthfeel is extremely light like a sour or wild. This is one crazy beer. I’m not sure if it is infected but it for sure has a tart, dry quality that makes me think it is. Tart strawberry is the flavor I get the most followed by a slight roastiness. Such an odd beer...

3.3/5  rDev -6%

Notes from Dec. 2010; 2010 release

Pours deep brown with one finger of head. Looks like a highly carbonated stout. Leaves a trail of lacing behind.

Wow, smells exactly like a PB&J. Sometimes the peanut seems to dominate the aroma, but the next smell is heavy on the fruity side. Overall, the peanuts seems to win out. They really nailed what they were going for with this one.

Unfortunately, the taste is way less interesting than the smell. The fruity character is more tart than sweet (not from infection/refermentation). Thus, the PB and the J seem to be fighting each other more than complementing each other. Not a bad taste, just tastes like a blend of two beers instead of one harmonious beer. A bit of hops pokes through on the finish.

Mouthfeel is light, even slightly thin.

Overall, this is okay, but not something I will seek out again. The lack of harmony makes it easy to stop at one. I love Short's and am definately glad I tried this, but a bit of a miss for me.

4.28/5  rDev +21.9%

12oz bottle into Bugges tulip.

A: Good head retention on the deep brown body, a creamy tan head holds well, and leaves a decent amount of lace.

S: The aroma shows a good bit of the "jelly" aspect of the brew, hints at a tart raspberry, or grape lambic. Nice sour aroma, but not too much peanut butter aspect.

T/M: Nice and and tart up front, with a lingering sourness. The body is smooth and lightly clean. The finish is nutty and does add a nice note of peanut butter.

O: Overall great experiential brew, nice finish and all in all super cool tart/sour beer.

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into a DFH pint glass. Pours a deep dark garnet with a two fingered light mocha head that does not last.

Aromas of a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich in a glass. I can't say it any plainer.

Flavors of kosher wine, grape juice, peanuts. Hints of a lactic sourness.

Mouthfeel is light, almost watery.

Overall a good experiment. Not sure if the acidic tang is due to infection. Even if it is, this is still a pretty good beer.

2.07/5  rDev -41%

Poured into a pint glass
A: 1 Finger of dense light brown head with good retention. Nearly opaque dark brown liquid.
S: Rich berry. Formalin? :-( Slight toasted peanut.
T: Some berry, formalin too...a lot like plastic. Some roastiness.
M: Tingly, solvent-like, syrupy.
D: Poor. I'm struggling to drink it. Drain pour. Disappointing since I like nearly everything that Short's touches.

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Who the hell doesn't want to drink a beer called PB&J???

Looking forward to this for several weeks now in anticipation of receiving and after receiving I find myself staring longingly at the only bottle I have for a couple of weeks now.

A- Nice, dark looking brew, nice head & carbonation. A deeeep amber color, almost burgundy.

S- Good smell, kind of funky in there, smells like a sour, I freakin hate sours.

T- Whoah, jump back, wanna kiss myself. Really tart, funky berry tart. Thank God the peanut butter taste comes in at the end, but there's not enough calvary there to beat back the inital charge of the TART light brigade.

M- Who gives a shit, there's so much tart, peanut butter flavor going on in this I can't waste my time thinking about mouthfeel. My mouth is going through Post Traumatic Stress Disorder trying to cope with the tart beating it took.

O- Really unique. Glad I got to try it, now if only I could take a knife and scrape the jelly off of this PB&J and get down to the actual PB part I would be in heaven. You have to experience this beer at least once.

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured into my 10oz sniftner, this brew pours a murky deep purple (no joke) hue with a tan peanut colored head that quickly shy's away.

S: The aroma is very tart, like fruit that is not yet ripe. Raspberries and young grapes. The roasted notes are not just "peanut butter" but resemble it's likeness. Very naturally roasted.

T: The flavor is a shocker actually. The tart of the fruit takes over on the first sip. Upfront sour tart berries. As the first sip progresses to the back of the pallet, the peanut butter hits (non-chunky, must have been creamy peanut butter). As the rest of this beer goes down, the flavor "sandwich" together very well.

MF: Mouth feel is medium light. Residual peanut flavors our left on the back of the pallet.

Overall, I'm really glad I don't have a peanut allergy, because this one was a really nice treat!

2.88/5  rDev -17.9%

Peanut butter stout and fruit rye ale.

Pours a date brown with a khaki light head.

Nose is a fruity cherry/berry sweet with a light acidic character and a real undertone of peanut butter/peanuts.

Mouthfeel is lightly acidic and bright. Well balanced and an elegant carbonation.

Flavor goes from an initial soda pop sweet character to a more elegant, refined and complex berry/cherry/light grape jam flavor with a short peach pit finish.

Initial tastes were almost offensive. Very approachable and almost like a "new" fresh fruit lambik as it warms. Very consumer friendly once you get over the sweet citric character. Tones of plums and cocoa as the beer warms.

2.74/5  rDev -21.9%

12oz bottle, chilled, and poured into a Snifter.

Appearance- Pours a dark dark brown colour, with about a finger and a half of creamy tan head that quickly dissipates to small ring around the glass, leaving minimal lacing throughout till finish.

Smell- It actually does smell somewhat like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! And then pretty much goes downhill from there.

Taste- Whoa, you get a strong acidic fruit flavour right off the bat from this one that kind of lets the peanut butter shine through eventually in the finish, but much too strong on the “jelly” aspect of it, some roasted malts come through on the finish but very muted.

Mouthfeel- Very high carbonation almost fizzy on the mouth.

Overall- This could definitely use a lot more peanut butter taste, the “jelly” taste is much to strong and acidic for my liking. A fruity acid punch to the taste buds that doesn’t really subside too much, and for an ale this is a subpar offering from Short’s.

1.42/5  rDev -59.5%

I thought that the concept behind this beer was interesting to say the least. I should have known that I was in for trouble when the man at the beer store tried to sway me away from this beer.

Upon first smelling this beer I still wasn't 100% sure. I was actually a little scared. It smelled like some sort of berry acid bath but it also had a nutty friendly smell. The first sip was almost instant regret. First I tasted an almost okay, albeit overly tart, berry flavor which smoothed out for a second to a dull nut-ish flavor. And then I opened my mouth. It felt like that Hawaiian Punch guy punched me it the stomach and threw up in my mouth. My whole mouth just felt like stomach acid.

I could not even finish this beer.

Thanks to GrandCruDrew for sending this one!

Pours an opaque reddish brown with a 1 inch brown head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Lace rivulets form on the sides of the glass on the drink down. Smells exactly like a sour peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I am picking up peanuts, strawberry, and raspberry. A very interesting smell for a beer. Tastes of sour unripe berries up front followed with a peanut butter aftertaste. This beer has a high level of carbonation and goes down very bubbly and crisp. Overall, this is a very good beer that is a very interesting idea. The bottle states this is a mix of a peanut butter stout and a fruit rye ale. I am not getting any stout or rye flavors. Mainly sour berries and a peanut aftertaste. I liked this one a lot.

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

Thanks to grub for this really interesting bit.

Light darker colored fizzy head, super dark fig colored.

Nose starts with a light roast and fresh coffee, then a nutty aroma, then some sweet light grape jelly.

Taste is semi sweet, light tart grape and sour fruits, light nutty flavor, light toasty malt and light roast and fresh coffee beans, light lactic acid flavor, finishes with a lot more peanut butter, light roast, and lingering tart and mouth watering lactic acid.

Mouth is med bodied with decent carb.

Overall pretty good, plenty of pb&j, light coffee and roast, tart fruit, nose is good.

3.62/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to a generous Michigan BA for the chance to try this brew!

Pours black with a nice tan head and some fairly nice lacing.

Smells like peanut butter! I also get a little hint of sweet fruit and coffee.

I get a lot of the same melted plastic taste up front that I got in Soft Parade. Seriously off-putting. However, once I let it warm slightly that disappears and the fruit opens up quite a bit. Raspberries and strawberries are present. The peanut butter hangs around in your mouth like real peanutbutter does. Pretty cool idea.

The feel is creamy, yet light.

Overall this was pretty tasty. I'll probably give it another shot.

3.18/5  rDev -9.4%

Nice dark stout color, but some light filters through. Thinner collar than a typical stout.

Smells strong of fruit, yeast, and acid. Not a lot of malt aroma.

Taste is tart with a slight stout flavor. Tartness lingers longer than the malt. Seems highly carbonated for a stout.

Clean and astringent on the mouth.

The name of this beer gave me high hopes and my experiences with Short's would tell me it should be good. But it simply is not as sweet and rich as a PB&J. Nice concept that could use a tweak.

reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown with a 1 finger off white head

smell: peanut butter, grape jelly,

taste: upfront with peanut butter, malts, grape jelly finish

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body, smooth,

overall: This has been by far the best exotic beer from short's that I have had. Lives up to its name.

3.65/5  rDev +4%

12oz bottle
Served in a nonic pint glass

A - It pours a dark brown. It yielded three inches of tan head.

S - The initial aroma is raspberry. The peanut smell is more subtle.

T - The taste is pretty much like the aroma. Berry up front and I have to search for the peanut, but it's there.

M - The mouthfeel is medium.

D - This is an interesting beer. I am glad I tried it and it is good but its more of a novelty.

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to both gnemeis and Pellinore1 for both hitting this want at the same time!

a - poured a deep ruby brownish with a creamy foamy head. The head is really lush and nice when I swirl my oversized snifter to open the beer. For this kind of beer, really stunning.

s - Wow...explosive array of flavor. Very grape, a touch tart, and a bit portery. I can pull the PBJ smell as well.

t - Interesting. Interesting in a way that I'm not quite sure if it is a good interesting or a bad interesting...but definitely interesting. Mostly tart with some undertones of a stout or a porter. Sour cherries.

m/d - Much like the smell and taste, there is a really tart or sour thing to the mouth. Makes you pucker a bit. More than just a novelty, actually quite enjoyable. The Peanut Butter & Jelly theme comes through and I'm glad I have another to share, but not something I'd drink a 6'er of in an evening.

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a hazy brown with hints of red. A light brown head of tiny tan bubbles.

Smell of sour strawberries, rye malt sweetness and peanut butter.... Yup they did it...

Taste of salty peanuts mixed with a very light stout and a sweet strawberry ale. Absolutely nailed the Peanut butter and jelly flavor and I have to say there is even some biscuit malt flavor in there for the bread component. Peanut flavor comes through with a heavy roast flavor and slightly oily. Everything I have ever seen regarding brewing with peanut butter hints at how difficult it can be with keeping the peanut oil out / keep it from going rancid. There is a pretty strong floral taste of very ripe strawberries.

Light mouthfeel and a light carbonation. Drinkable for a fruit beer and probably how it tastes best with all of these flavors. Sweet, Salty tangy, nutty... very interesting and well done. Nice job on the only PB & J beer on the market.

Short's PB & J from Short's Brewing Company