Short's PB & J - Short's Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 204 | Reviews: 123
Reviews by Popkas:
3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Pours a dark brown with a large frothy head.

S: Nutty scent followed by wave of dark fruit and a sourness. Pleasant but not expected.

T: An odd sourness that is not altogether unpleasant, but I cannot beleive this is the intent.

M: Medium body with normal carbonation.

D: The bottle certainly seems to a bit off.

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

Reviewed from notes written on 12-17-10.

PB & J pours brown with a ruby tint 'round the edges into a big snifter. A light brown, half-finger head materializes and disappears in no time, leaving a nebulous haze on top. Some lace is left on the glass as the beer disappears, but not more than some small dots and streaks.

Well, there are definitely peanut notes upfront in the smell, along with a hefty serving of berries - strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Some roasted malt lurks behind the the initial smells, along with a strange, Saran-Wrap-like plastic aroma. Yeah, I can smell a tasty sandwich in there.

Berries ambush my mouth at the onset of the taste and don't let go for the duration of the sip. Post-swallow, roasted malt and peanuts are liberated. I'm going to wait a bit for this to warm... okay, I'm back after rocking out some tasty piano licks. The finish is a nice blend of the two components... I just wish that the whole taste experience would be that way. For me, it's a little too heavy on the Soft Parade and not quite enough of the Uber Goober.

The mouthfeel is quite light a the beginning and becomes more substantial toward the end. The carbonation is about right for what the beer is. For me, the feel is too syrupy sweet and stinging from the tart berries, and not creamy and full enough from the peanut stout.

PB & J essentially accomplishes what it is shooting for, but falls just short of a perfect balance between the PB and the J. If I was tasked with renaming the brew, I would call it J and the PBs. Anyway, I would have it again, but it isn't a must-repeat for me.

4.32/5  rDev +24.1%

From notes: Deep brown pour with red highlights and a light tan head - aromas of, well, peanut butter and jelly. Roast, peanuts , strawberries and blueberries. Mild spicy rye in the background. First sip brings fruit to the forefront and the peanut and roast with dark malt comes through on the way down. Mellow rye as it melds very wonderfully overall. Great balance and a great blend. Medium bodied good carbonation. Easy to drink and extremely unique. Glad I cracked this one fresh!

3.66/5  rDev +5.2%

A_Dark brown almost black with red highlights. Thick khaki head with a swirl of red tint. Nice retention and lacing.

S_Smell is mostly strawberry with a hint of peanut.I,ve never had soft parade but can definitely pick out the uber goober.

T_The strawberry and peanut butter come in waves. The taste varies from sip to sip. I'd say that the peanut butter is less noticeable than the fruit flavor.

M_Smooth medium bodied but a bit watery with a chalky film left on the tongue.

D_Overall definitely worth a try but I can't see myself drinking too many.

3.3/5  rDev -5.2%

Notes from Dec. 2010; 2010 release

Pours deep brown with one finger of head. Looks like a highly carbonated stout. Leaves a trail of lacing behind.

Wow, smells exactly like a PB&J. Sometimes the peanut seems to dominate the aroma, but the next smell is heavy on the fruity side. Overall, the peanuts seems to win out. They really nailed what they were going for with this one.

Unfortunately, the taste is way less interesting than the smell. The fruity character is more tart than sweet (not from infection/refermentation). Thus, the PB and the J seem to be fighting each other more than complementing each other. Not a bad taste, just tastes like a blend of two beers instead of one harmonious beer. A bit of hops pokes through on the finish.

Mouthfeel is light, even slightly thin.

Overall, this is okay, but not something I will seek out again. The lack of harmony makes it easy to stop at one. I love Short's and am definately glad I tried this, but a bit of a miss for me.

3.47/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks to TasteTester for sending this bottle to me.

On opening, there is a loud pop but no gushing. The beer pours dark brown with a ridiculous tan head. It appears infected because there is about half and inch of beer and the rest of the glass is slow-falling head.

The aroma is peanuts with a little tartness. The flavor starts off with peanuts and then you get some fruit before getting a lot of tartness. Not what the brewer intended, but not terrible. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

I was surprised with this one. Much darker than I expected. Nice head. Smells like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that was left in the car for like 4 hours. Tastes of strawberry jam, peanut butter on the aftertaste. Beautiful when you think about it. So unique! Very carbonated, fit the beer well, but curious as to what it would taste like without all the carbonation. I dug this beer. Big ups to BA Bringthebail for bringing this to our tasting.

2.77/5  rDev -20.4%

Bottle

Thanks for sharing, j47paco!

Dark brown in color throughout with ruby and auburn edges. There's a thin light brown head that leaves spots of lace down the glass.

The aroma is as advertised! This smell's like a messy, dripping, kindergartner's peanut butter and jelly sandwich: mild breadiness, sticky Skippy peanut butter, and sweet strawberry jam! Unique, unusual, and honestly, pretty crazy.

Unfortunately, the flavor falls significantly away from the aroma, though I really had no idea what to expect even after sniffing this one for some time. This beer is pretty acidic and sharp, somewhat sweet, and there's a bit of bread and nuttiness left over, but there's nothing much here to enjoy or appreciate. It seems like an old, acidic, slightly soured (and not in a good way) nut brown ale.

Medium mouthfeel with enough carbonation, though somewhat sharp and a bit abrasive.

So glad I got to try this, thanks Juan! That being said, the liquid in the glass smelled far better than it tasted.

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured into my 10oz sniftner, this brew pours a murky deep purple (no joke) hue with a tan peanut colored head that quickly shy's away.

S: The aroma is very tart, like fruit that is not yet ripe. Raspberries and young grapes. The roasted notes are not just "peanut butter" but resemble it's likeness. Very naturally roasted.

T: The flavor is a shocker actually. The tart of the fruit takes over on the first sip. Upfront sour tart berries. As the first sip progresses to the back of the pallet, the peanut butter hits (non-chunky, must have been creamy peanut butter). As the rest of this beer goes down, the flavor "sandwich" together very well.

MF: Mouth feel is medium light. Residual peanut flavors our left on the back of the pallet.

Overall, I'm really glad I don't have a peanut allergy, because this one was a really nice treat!

4.18/5  rDev +20.1%

Once again, eyebrews to the rescue! Now, when I heard this beer was a blend of Uber Goober and Soft Parade, I was a little concerned because I wasn't too keen on Soft Parade. But with a name like PB&J... you gotta pull the trigger.

Black pour with fizzy head. That soon settles down into a thin rim.

Tons of berries in the nose, a la Soft Parade, but there are those ballpark peanuts prevalent in Uber Goober. Hmm. It is what it says, but that has me a little on edge since I didn't love these two beers.

Wow! Does this ever taste like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. How the hell do they do it? Roast, white bread crust, strawberry preserves... delicious!

Lots of carbonation and a dry finish. Another winner! This MI brewery is just so unique, forward-thinking and fresh... Short's is now my favorite brewery. Sorry Surly... Short's only looks out for me!

3.77/5  rDev +8.3%

Notes are fairly recent and, of course, thorough.

The color of this beer is an extremely dark brown. A light brown head forms around one finger high with decent retention and moderate lacing.
Both peanut butter and jelly are prevalent in the aroma, and the jelly mixes a bit more purely here than in the flavor. There's a malty backbone here that's enough to rest on while allowing the true character to come through nicely.
The jelly turns a touch tart and goes a bit too soft in the flavor, though the peanut remains. Just underneath linger notes of chocolate and grains.
The body is medium with appropriately light carbonation and a nice smoothness.
This is spot on if only the jelly doesn't fade out in the flavor. As usual, Short's does a good job with an interesting food-inspired brew.

3.87/5  rDev +11.2%

A- Is dark brown,somewhat black in appearance. Looks almost like a stout. Very little head retention but good carbonation.

S- smells like strawberry jam, peanuts, has some earthy tones and I can pick up just a little bit of what smells like raspberry.

T- Taste the strawberry jam right away, almost punches you in the mouth with a tart sweetness. Finishes with a mellow peanut taste that almost seems a little off, but is still good.

M- this one is extremely light for how dark it is, very tart feel to it, a cheek pucker.

D- This one is too sweet and just to different to be able to be very drinkable.

Notes: this beer is very different, the complexity of the flavors and the uniqueness of this one make it worth trying.

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

From the December seasonal 6-pak, and back-to-back to the Uber Oatmeal. I liked the soft parade, and the imperial soft parade. It tastes 50%/50%, and thankfully the peanut taste comes out, and the berry tastes. it is dark with a great brown head, and lots of lace. Funky aroma, a little lambic. The sourness from the guber portion is there, and it is masked by the berry flavours, so better than the guber alone. Above average mouthfeel, but a shock sourness to the palate.

4.28/5  rDev +23%

12oz bottle into Bugges tulip.

A: Good head retention on the deep brown body, a creamy tan head holds well, and leaves a decent amount of lace.

S: The aroma shows a good bit of the "jelly" aspect of the brew, hints at a tart raspberry, or grape lambic. Nice sour aroma, but not too much peanut butter aspect.

T/M: Nice and and tart up front, with a lingering sourness. The body is smooth and lightly clean. The finish is nutty and does add a nice note of peanut butter.

O: Overall great experiential brew, nice finish and all in all super cool tart/sour beer.

4.49/5  rDev +29%

Again another great bottle from eyebrews! From notes

A: Dark black and somewhat syrupy with a nice fluffy brown head about an qaurter in thick. The head retention is very good but there is no lacing.

S: It smells just like PB&J! It has the mild peanut butter flavor followed by some crusty wheat bread(i eat mine on wheat) and then there is the sweetness from the raspberry and grape jelly! Some may not enjoy this because it is different than lots of beers out there but this one brought out the kid in me.(even though i am still pretty young)

T: Again just like PB&J. The jelly is up front with lots of fruity sweetness and then it finishes with a nice Peanut Butter note in the finish.

M: There is a slight bit of harshness to this and it is a bit light, but there is some creaminess as well.

D: At first just a little bit went a long way but the more I start sipping it the more i was enjoying it. One bottle at a time is very tasty but i cant wait to try it again

3.95/5  rDev +13.5%

I bought a 12 oz. bottle from the Beer Baron Liquor Store in Livonia, Michigan. Dark pour with very little head. Sour fruit aroma. This beer actually tastes like a pb&j sandwich. Nothing like it!! I'd drink this again, but I prefer the Uber Goober Stout.

3.62/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to a generous Michigan BA for the chance to try this brew!

Pours black with a nice tan head and some fairly nice lacing.

Smells like peanut butter! I also get a little hint of sweet fruit and coffee.

I get a lot of the same melted plastic taste up front that I got in Soft Parade. Seriously off-putting. However, once I let it warm slightly that disappears and the fruit opens up quite a bit. Raspberries and strawberries are present. The peanut butter hangs around in your mouth like real peanutbutter does. Pretty cool idea.

The feel is creamy, yet light.

Overall this was pretty tasty. I'll probably give it another shot.

3.51/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle shared by bring - thanks, Barry!This is one hell of an interesting beer, even if it's a bit infected. They combined Uber Goober and Soft Parade to make a whole that's better than the parts (slightly better than Uber Goober, way better than Soft Parade).

Pours very dark brown with a creamy tan head that really lasts a long time.

Aroma is, well, PB&J, not surprisingly. Peanut butter and red berries are both very prominent, and there's also, as with Uber Goober, a hint of tartness.

Flavor is somewhat tart and lactic - unintentionally I'm assuming - with big time PB&J and mild roast. The jelly seems to be sort of a strawberry/raspberry blend, and a very tasty one, which surprises me a bit since I didn't care much for Soft Parade.

Medium-bodied with high carbonation - a bit too high in my opinion - and mild acidity.

Decent drinkability. Overall, a very interesting beer, and not bad, even with the tartness.

2.88/5  rDev -17.2%

Peanut butter stout and fruit rye ale.

Pours a date brown with a khaki light head.

Nose is a fruity cherry/berry sweet with a light acidic character and a real undertone of peanut butter/peanuts.

Mouthfeel is lightly acidic and bright. Well balanced and an elegant carbonation.

Flavor goes from an initial soda pop sweet character to a more elegant, refined and complex berry/cherry/light grape jam flavor with a short peach pit finish.

Initial tastes were almost offensive. Very approachable and almost like a "new" fresh fruit lambik as it warms. Very consumer friendly once you get over the sweet citric character. Tones of plums and cocoa as the beer warms.

4.39/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a darker deep brown color. Reddish hues show on the sides of the glass when held up to the light. One finger light brown head shows poor retention. Light streaky lacing on the sides of the glass. I have begun to accept the fact that Short's fruit beers will never produce the nice head I am looking for.

S- Lots of strawberry and hints of grape jelly! I mean lots of it when it's cold. Letting this beer warm up you can get more hint of peanuts which make my mouth water. There is a light roast in this but it is really in the background. Also, some raspberry might be detected but I might be wanting to smell that!

T- Boat loads of strawberry and grape jelly combo. There is a light sourness with this that works well with the flavor profile. Some light roasted malts in the middle of the beer gives off actually more of a toasted flavor I would say. Backend is mostly peanut flavor...like I just ate a mouthful of peanuts. A pretty good flavor of a PB & J once the beer warms up.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation is low but works very well with the beer. Lots of jelly like flavors left on the palate. Roasted peanuts with slight roast to this from the malts and of course some more of the sourness from the jelly flavor in the aftertaste. Flavors were balanced I thought for the style...which in itself was a odd combo. Light drying on the palate from the alcohol. Clean flavors as well...with nothing off putting.

D- This beer to me was fantastic. A nice experimental beer that seems to be dead on to me at least to what it is suppose to be. I really enjoyed the lack of alcohol that came through with this beer that would have killed a little bit of flavor. I would love to drink a sixer of this but one at a time is good for now.

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big ole thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) for letting me tick this Short's beer I've been wanting to try for a while. This is actually the beer that introduced me to Short's Brewery. Cheers friend!

Appearance - Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a dark chocolate color. Little light passes by the edges of the glass, and over two fingers of chocolate head is achieved with a moderate pour. The head dissipates relatively fast, but leaves nice looking lacing.

Smell - F'n A man. Short's and their insanely accurate aromas. I absolutely get peanut butter and jelly. Roasty peanuts, I think grape jelly (though slight raspberry and cherry is noticed also). Honestly, that is about it.

Taste - Oddly, the first flavor is a tart...smokiness? I really didn't get that from the aroma, and again, Short's is spot on with the aroma but with the flavor not so much. However, I will say that after the tart berry flavor subsides, there is an absolute peanut butter taste. So, if you ignore the first odd flavor and only recognize the backend of the taste, it is actually somewhat spot on.

Mouthfeel - Lighter to slight medium bodied, decent carbonation, finishes oddly dry.

Drinkability - While I can't just quaff this, I am enjoying the odd flavors mixing together. Very interesting beer from Short's. Not their best, not their worst, but the beer as I stated, that first put Short's on the radar for me. Glad I was finally able to try this!

3.18/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz, picked up during Christmas trip to Grand Rapids.
Really dark brown pour, just some light around the edges. About a finger of light tan head. Quite a bit of carbonation appears throughout the beer.

This does smell like pb&j. There is some caramel like maltiness as well. I guess this is good, if it's what they were shooting for.

Taste is intensely fruity, grapes and lambic like sour. There is some malt a nuttiness that peaks through, but finishes fruity dry.

Lighter mid body and higher than average carbonation. This with the sourness really makes this a one and done unfortunately.

Pushing the limits, this one is just barely worth trying in reality.

3.76/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a cervoise.

Appearance: Big brown head. Body is completely black. Looks like one hell of a stout. Good lacing.

Smell: Sour fruitiness and some peanuts. Doesn't exactly smell like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the sourness throws it off.

Taste: The peanut butter stout side of the beer is rather enjoyable but the fruit flavor is way too sour. Is most like a PB&J in the aftertaste as the tart fruit subsides and the earthy peanut flavor comes forward.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy.

3.89/5  rDev +11.8%

12 oz split in a Stone IRS tulip. No date or info. "Keep refrigerated." [Re-review]

Thanks to sweemzander for opening a non-infected bottle!

A - Hazy dark brown in color with a low off-tan head. Low retention but some sticky lace left over.

S - Smells slightly off with a bug-like addition to the roasted black malt, peanuts, grape, and strawberry jelly. Toasted bread completes the circle with a full-on nose of PB&J.

T - Roasted chocolate and bittersweetness with cocoa, Jelly and peanuts and toasted bread takes me back to the lunch-box days, this is a very awesome, unique beer.

M - Medium-light bodied and slightly dry with a crisp finish.

D - Good drinkability for a novelty beer, it's got a nice flavor that never gets cloying or old. I'd love to drink this side-by-side with a real PB&J sandwich!

[Original Review 02-03-2010: C - 2.8 A/4.5 S/3.5 T/2 M/2 D/2]

3.12/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to kzoobrew for this beer.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Dark brown, almost black, with a fierce, ridiculous "rolling" head that remains fizzy all the way through as if you're watching the yeast do it's work right in your glass.

S: The best feature of this beer. Roasted peanuts and chocolate swirled with raspberry preserves.

T: The taste does not follow in light of the awesome nose. Bitter almost to the point of a bad sour, a little hint of fruit, and a slightly roasty finish.

M: Way too carbonated. I feel that this detracted from the flavors being able to fully come out - especially the stout aspect of the beer.

D: Again, way too carbonated and hard to sip even as it warms up. It's like drinking a seltzer.

It's funny how a beer can be so lopsided, but then again they did try and make a Peanut Butter & Jelly beer here - I guess not all their crazy concoctions can work out.

to view more.