Short's PB & J - Short's Brewing Company

Short's PB & JShort's PB & J

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kegger22 on 12-18-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
horsecorosous

06-16-2013 01:07:36 | More by horsecorosous
Big78CJ

1.25/5  rDev -64%

09-10-2013 00:38:27 | More by Big78CJ
martyrthisthat

1.38/5  rDev -60.2%

I thought that the concept behind this beer was interesting to say the least. I should have known that I was in for trouble when the man at the beer store tried to sway me away from this beer.

Upon first smelling this beer I still wasn't 100% sure. I was actually a little scared. It smelled like some sort of berry acid bath but it also had a nutty friendly smell. The first sip was almost instant regret. First I tasted an almost okay, albeit overly tart, berry flavor which smoothed out for a second to a dull nut-ish flavor. And then I opened my mouth. It felt like that Hawaiian Punch guy punched me it the stomach and threw up in my mouth. My whole mouth just felt like stomach acid.

I could not even finish this beer.

04-22-2011 21:38:50 | More by martyrthisthat
nhindian

1.68/5  rDev -51.6%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle generously provided as an extra by normyk, thanks Rob!

A - Although blended with a stout, I had expectations of this beer being lighter in color, but nope, pretty damn dark with only slight brown highlights to it. Builds about 2-fingers worth of head at its peak. Retention is fairly low as it fizzles out quickly. Little to no lacing.

S - The smell is actually pretty enticing, full of strawberry and a faint peanut nose to it. Also getting a smokiness similar to what was in Short's S'mores stout, but not to as great an extent. Smell is a little sour too which is a bit off-putting..

T - Excitedly, I take my first sip and... oh my goodness, what the hell happened to this beer. It's deathly sour and is like drinking a vile concoction of sea water and vinegar. Maybe a bit of cherry and raspberry poke through, and in the finish I'm getting the peanuts a little, but this beer is obviously off. Given the smell and taste, I'm not so sure my S'mores stout wasn't a little infected as well given what I've heard about Short's QC. I can't even get through half a bottle of this, but sadly it goes down the drain.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Long, long lasting bitterness in this one, unfortunately.

D - Drinkability is abysmal. In paper this beer had a lot of promise and I was greatly looking forward to it, but another let-down from Short's. A month ago I would've been excited to try anything these creative brewers put out, but now I'm extremely hesitant. It's a shame really, these guys are really trying to innovate.

03-03-2011 05:18:01 | More by nhindian
nrbw23

1.78/5  rDev -48.7%

A- Pours a very odd brown color with a huge brown head. Head has pretty good retention, and some spotty lacing is left behind.

S- This is a pretty odd smelling beer. It smells like a ton of nuts and a mixture of some sort of fruit. Maybe a darker fruit.

T- It really tastes like a PB&J, and I don't like it at all. Overall pretty sweet from this odd fruit taste and tons of roasted malts. Has a very odd flavour to it and I'm not digging it.

M- Fuller side of medium in body and in carbonation.

D- I found this one very hard to drink. I probably won't ever go back to this one.

01-05-2011 09:24:09 | More by nrbw23

Georgia

01-22-2012 05:21:09 | More by shuajw
dfillius

2.03/5  rDev -41.5%

Poured into a pint glass
A: 1 Finger of dense light brown head with good retention. Nearly opaque dark brown liquid.
S: Rich berry. Formalin? :-( Slight toasted peanut.
T: Some berry, formalin too...a lot like plastic. Some roastiness.
M: Tingly, solvent-like, syrupy.
D: Poor. I'm struggling to drink it. Drain pour. Disappointing since I like nearly everything that Short's touches.

05-17-2011 01:57:54 | More by dfillius
cpetrone84

2.03/5  rDev -41.5%

A-pours a dark brownish liquid, mostly transparent with red edges. the head is a dark brown, fizzly and bubbly.

S-the nose is interesting, there are some peanut butter and jelly qualities, a very stale sandwich. there's also a fair bit of rye spice in this at the back and a light roasted quality.

T-infection, sourness is pretty strong, light notes of strawberry jelly, lightly roasted, very sweet malt presence in the back with a light metallic note.

M-medium body and slightly oily with a soft texture and high carbonation.

D-interesting concept but does have an infection. credit for creativity.

02-20-2011 23:54:55 | More by cpetrone84
Mitchster

2.08/5  rDev -40.1%

$2.30 for a 12oz bottle @ Jacks. A blend of Peanut Butter Stout and Soft Parade.

Pours out to a dark brown, forming a soapy tan head with average retention but very nice lacing. Mildly carbonated. The aroma is peculiar...I can pick up the berries, mostly strawberries, of the soft parade and the peanut of the stout, as well as faint black walnut, and a little bit of vanilla. The mouthfeel is weird...smooth, but sour and chalky with a medium-light body. The taste is what you might expect...the berries of the soft parade stand out on top of the stout, but as my GF says "That's GROSS!" I have to agree with her. It's not something I really want to finish...I'll force myself to because I paid for it, not because it tastes good. There is a metallic aftertaste and a moderate bitterness which doesn't sit well in the stomach. Burped strawberries.

I would definitely NOT buy this again, although I would probably try it on tap. Pretty gross.

12-19-2010 01:14:25 | More by Mitchster
alcstradamus

Washington

2.17/5  rDev -37.5%

Pours like a cola, complete with sizzling effervescent carbonation. A finger of head stays behind.

Smell is nutty maltiness and a bit of a bright metallic aroma that is probably from the fruit. Pretty appetizing still, despite the metal.

The taste is not appetizing at all. In fact, it is somewhat gross. Looks like this one might have an infection. At least, I hope that is the case because if what I'm tasting is supposed to be the fruit then Short's failed big time here. There is a metallic sourness that does not work at all.

Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium with way too much carbonation. Drinkability is nonexistent, I drain poured this after a few ounces.

I would not recommend seeking out bottles of this.

01-25-2010 05:34:13 | More by alcstradamus
Calculat0r

Japan

2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

03-21-2012 09:43:22 | More by Calculat0r
jeffthecheff

Connecticut

2.38/5  rDev -31.4%

Thanks to Joe's peanut allergy for allowing me to have this.

Color is black with a strange head. It gushes out the bottle at first, foams up in the glass, and then fizzes away to almost nothing. A fizzy film around the edges.

The aroma is jam like, with good strawberry character. I'm also picking up some funky character from a probable infection. Slightly plastic with a bit of cleaning product.

The flavor has a very interesting strawberry fruitiness and grape jam character. There is a slight acidity to go along with the fruit which is quite nice. Very slight peanut butter on the finish, but you have to know to look for it. Slight chocolate sweetness but its covered by the acidity. There is also a slight chemical off flavor.

Mouthfeel is thin and lifeless with a prickling carbonation. This is where the probable infection is shown the most, as it seems to have eaten all of the sugars and left a thin and lifeless body. With all the flaws, I was still interested enough in trying it to finish the glass. This was definitley better last year when I had it at EBF.

02-21-2010 05:43:12 | More by jeffthecheff
drabmuh

Maryland

2.4/5  rDev -30.8%

Tried this out of novelty. Gross.

Poured from a bottle into a becher. Beer is dark brown and has a thin broken white head. Lacing is low and so is carbonation. Smell is slightly sweet, slightly lactic, lots of dirty carbon smell.

At first I taste almost nothing, then some roast hits me, then in the aftertaste...what's that....peanuts? Odd but not bad, second taste is a palate destroyer. GROSS! The peanut is everywhere now, not pleasant, odd sweetness...is that the jelly. Stop, I'm done no more please.

01-29-2010 05:28:18 | More by drabmuh
KickInTheChalice

2.48/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: This pours a walnut / mahogany color. A nice creamy tan head rests on top. Good retention, and some lacing sticks to the glass on the way down.

Smell: Peanuts, with ethyl alcohol and peanut oil are in there too. Tart cherry and strawberry vinegar.

Taste: This tastes like something went wrong, maybe it is infected? Some peanuts sneak through, but the the taste has a lot of vinegar and some sour cherry in it. Peanuts and some biscuity malt make their way through. Pretty weird and not very good.

Mouthfeel: Lightly sticky, very acidic and vinegary. Medium carbonation and a light to medium body.

Drinkability: When I was drinking this with friends on Saturday, we all talked about whether it was infected or not, eventually deciding that it probably was. After reading some other reviews it seems like that flavor could have been intentional, but that does not make it taste any better. I finished a 4 oz pour, but I wouldn't go back to it.

01-31-2011 17:31:17 | More by KickInTheChalice
ygtbsm94

01-13-2012 07:01:56 | More by ygtbsm94
scottfrie

2.5/5  rDev -28%

12oz bottle into Delirium Noël snifter. StormKing47, you've done it again.

A: Pours an extremely dark clear brown with a super carbonated spritzy head that foamed up in the glass. Head disappeared rather quickly though and receded into a thin collar that left a pretty decent sheet of lacing down the glass.
S: At first whiff all I get is salty brine and olive juice. Upon further whiffing I get what I suppose could be described as a sort of 'nut' smell with just a hint of fruit behind it. Perhaps strawberries. There is a strange funk to the nose as well.
T: Pretty darn sour actually with lightly sweet notes of strawberry juice. Dark malts are right there to help balance it out, but the sour lactic dominates. Finish has some roasted notes to it, almost smokey or burnt-caramel like, and there is maybe the suggestion of peanuts.
M: Crazy carbonation foams up in my mouth over the medium body. The sourness really keeps my mouth watering long after I swallow.
D: This one is definitely interesting but may not be for me. After a few sips it became less and less appetizing. It's not bad, but if you haven't had it, consider splitting a bottle among friends.

02-25-2011 03:25:18 | More by scottfrie
HopHead84

4/15/2010

Deep brownish ruby with a quickly dissipating two finger light brown head. No lacing.

The aroma is of peanuts and tart dark raspberries. The aroma is somewhat pleasant and is not unlike peanut butter & jelly. Interesting.

Tart raspberry jelly greets my palate and it's accompanied by a light peanut presence. It's somewhat astringent, and though it's not what the brewer intended (so I heard), it's not horrendous. The tartness is just a bit off and it's very sour. I like the idea and I'd be interested in trying this again in the future if it's not infected.

04-16-2010 01:24:06 | More by HopHead84
wrightst

Maryland

06-23-2013 01:15:47 | More by wrightst
DannyDan

2.5/5  rDev -28%

A. Pours a brown color with some red highlights in it. Has a thin tan head with little retention and hardly any lacing.
S. Smells like roasted peanuts,malts, mixed berries. The smell is a very nice smell and means beer should taste good.
T. I was wrong about tasting good. When first tasting it I get a strong taste of tart cherries, strawberries and probably other fruits. That is followed by a hops taste and than a little bit of peanut butter and coffee, but the fruit taste is too much and drowns out the other tastes. I can barely taste the peanut butter in this.
M. The mouthfeel is a bit sticky, chalky and acidic and is hard to even stand it in my mouth.
D. This may be drinkable if you like it, but for me this should be a drain pour.
I know this is supposed to be Short's Soft Parade and Uber Goober mixed together, but from now on I will drink them separately.

01-08-2011 09:05:23 | More by DannyDan
SaisonRichBiere

03-02-2013 02:09:34 | More by SaisonRichBiere
westcoastbeerlvr

11-15-2011 18:01:14 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
Roke87

Ontario (Canada)

2.55/5  rDev -26.5%

12oz bottle, chilled, and poured into a Snifter.

Appearance- Pours a dark dark brown colour, with about a finger and a half of creamy tan head that quickly dissipates to small ring around the glass, leaving minimal lacing throughout till finish.

Smell- It actually does smell somewhat like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! And then pretty much goes downhill from there.

Taste- Whoa, you get a strong acidic fruit flavour right off the bat from this one that kind of lets the peanut butter shine through eventually in the finish, but much too strong on the “jelly” aspect of it, some roasted malts come through on the finish but very muted.

Mouthfeel- Very high carbonation almost fizzy on the mouth.

Overall- This could definitely use a lot more peanut butter taste, the “jelly” taste is much to strong and acidic for my liking. A fruity acid punch to the taste buds that doesn’t really subside too much, and for an ale this is a subpar offering from Short’s.

04-23-2011 03:21:59 | More by Roke87