Short's PB & J - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: kegger22 on 12-18-2009

1.42/5  rDev -59.7%

I thought that the concept behind this beer was interesting to say the least. I should have known that I was in for trouble when the man at the beer store tried to sway me away from this beer.

Upon first smelling this beer I still wasn't 100% sure. I was actually a little scared. It smelled like some sort of berry acid bath but it also had a nutty friendly smell. The first sip was almost instant regret. First I tasted an almost okay, albeit overly tart, berry flavor which smoothed out for a second to a dull nut-ish flavor. And then I opened my mouth. It felt like that Hawaiian Punch guy punched me it the stomach and threw up in my mouth. My whole mouth just felt like stomach acid.

I could not even finish this beer. (726 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -49.1%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle generously provided as an extra by normyk, thanks Rob!

A - Although blended with a stout, I had expectations of this beer being lighter in color, but nope, pretty damn dark with only slight brown highlights to it. Builds about 2-fingers worth of head at its peak. Retention is fairly low as it fizzles out quickly. Little to no lacing.

S - The smell is actually pretty enticing, full of strawberry and a faint peanut nose to it. Also getting a smokiness similar to what was in Short's S'mores stout, but not to as great an extent. Smell is a little sour too which is a bit off-putting..

T - Excitedly, I take my first sip and... oh my goodness, what the hell happened to this beer. It's deathly sour and is like drinking a vile concoction of sea water and vinegar. Maybe a bit of cherry and raspberry poke through, and in the finish I'm getting the peanuts a little, but this beer is obviously off. Given the smell and taste, I'm not so sure my S'mores stout wasn't a little infected as well given what I've heard about Short's QC. I can't even get through half a bottle of this, but sadly it goes down the drain.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Long, long lasting bitterness in this one, unfortunately.

D - Drinkability is abysmal. In paper this beer had a lot of promise and I was greatly looking forward to it, but another let-down from Short's. A month ago I would've been excited to try anything these creative brewers put out, but now I'm extremely hesitant. It's a shame really, these guys are really trying to innovate. (1,598 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -48.3%

A- Pours a very odd brown color with a huge brown head. Head has pretty good retention, and some spotty lacing is left behind.

S- This is a pretty odd smelling beer. It smells like a ton of nuts and a mixture of some sort of fruit. Maybe a darker fruit.

T- It really tastes like a PB&J, and I don't like it at all. Overall pretty sweet from this odd fruit taste and tons of roasted malts. Has a very odd flavour to it and I'm not digging it.

M- Fuller side of medium in body and in carbonation.

D- I found this one very hard to drink. I probably won't ever go back to this one. (584 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured into a pint glass
A: 1 Finger of dense light brown head with good retention. Nearly opaque dark brown liquid.
S: Rich berry. Formalin? :-( Slight toasted peanut.
T: Some berry, formalin too...a lot like plastic. Some roastiness.
M: Tingly, solvent-like, syrupy.
D: Poor. I'm struggling to drink it. Drain pour. Disappointing since I like nearly everything that Short's touches. (384 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -40.3%

A-pours a dark brownish liquid, mostly transparent with red edges. the head is a dark brown, fizzly and bubbly.

S-the nose is interesting, there are some peanut butter and jelly qualities, a very stale sandwich. there's also a fair bit of rye spice in this at the back and a light roasted quality.

T-infection, sourness is pretty strong, light notes of strawberry jelly, lightly roasted, very sweet malt presence in the back with a light metallic note.

M-medium body and slightly oily with a soft texture and high carbonation.

D-interesting concept but does have an infection. credit for creativity. (603 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -39.5%

$2.30 for a 12oz bottle @ Jacks. A blend of Peanut Butter Stout and Soft Parade.

Pours out to a dark brown, forming a soapy tan head with average retention but very nice lacing. Mildly carbonated. The aroma is peculiar...I can pick up the berries, mostly strawberries, of the soft parade and the peanut of the stout, as well as faint black walnut, and a little bit of vanilla. The mouthfeel is weird...smooth, but sour and chalky with a medium-light body. The taste is what you might expect...the berries of the soft parade stand out on top of the stout, but as my GF says "That's GROSS!" I have to agree with her. It's not something I really want to finish...I'll force myself to because I paid for it, not because it tastes good. There is a metallic aftertaste and a moderate bitterness which doesn't sit well in the stomach. Burped strawberries.

I would definitely NOT buy this again, although I would probably try it on tap. Pretty gross. (944 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours like a cola, complete with sizzling effervescent carbonation. A finger of head stays behind.

Smell is nutty maltiness and a bit of a bright metallic aroma that is probably from the fruit. Pretty appetizing still, despite the metal.

The taste is not appetizing at all. In fact, it is somewhat gross. Looks like this one might have an infection. At least, I hope that is the case because if what I'm tasting is supposed to be the fruit then Short's failed big time here. There is a metallic sourness that does not work at all.

Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium with way too much carbonation. Drinkability is nonexistent, I drain poured this after a few ounces.

I would not recommend seeking out bottles of this. (725 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -33.2%

Thanks to Joe's peanut allergy for allowing me to have this.

Color is black with a strange head. It gushes out the bottle at first, foams up in the glass, and then fizzes away to almost nothing. A fizzy film around the edges.

The aroma is jam like, with good strawberry character. I'm also picking up some funky character from a probable infection. Slightly plastic with a bit of cleaning product.

The flavor has a very interesting strawberry fruitiness and grape jam character. There is a slight acidity to go along with the fruit which is quite nice. Very slight peanut butter on the finish, but you have to know to look for it. Slight chocolate sweetness but its covered by the acidity. There is also a slight chemical off flavor.

Mouthfeel is thin and lifeless with a prickling carbonation. This is where the probable infection is shown the most, as it seems to have eaten all of the sugars and left a thin and lifeless body. With all the flaws, I was still interested enough in trying it to finish the glass. This was definitley better last year when I had it at EBF. (1,076 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -30.4%

12oz bottle into Delirium Noël snifter. StormKing47, you've done it again.

A: Pours an extremely dark clear brown with a super carbonated spritzy head that foamed up in the glass. Head disappeared rather quickly though and receded into a thin collar that left a pretty decent sheet of lacing down the glass.
S: At first whiff all I get is salty brine and olive juice. Upon further whiffing I get what I suppose could be described as a sort of 'nut' smell with just a hint of fruit behind it. Perhaps strawberries. There is a strange funk to the nose as well.
T: Pretty darn sour actually with lightly sweet notes of strawberry juice. Dark malts are right there to help balance it out, but the sour lactic dominates. Finish has some roasted notes to it, almost smokey or burnt-caramel like, and there is maybe the suggestion of peanuts.
M: Crazy carbonation foams up in my mouth over the medium body. The sourness really keeps my mouth watering long after I swallow.
D: This one is definitely interesting but may not be for me. After a few sips it became less and less appetizing. It's not bad, but if you haven't had it, consider splitting a bottle among friends. (1,168 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: This pours a walnut / mahogany color. A nice creamy tan head rests on top. Good retention, and some lacing sticks to the glass on the way down.

Smell: Peanuts, with ethyl alcohol and peanut oil are in there too. Tart cherry and strawberry vinegar.

Taste: This tastes like something went wrong, maybe it is infected? Some peanuts sneak through, but the the taste has a lot of vinegar and some sour cherry in it. Peanuts and some biscuity malt make their way through. Pretty weird and not very good.

Mouthfeel: Lightly sticky, very acidic and vinegary. Medium carbonation and a light to medium body.

Drinkability: When I was drinking this with friends on Saturday, we all talked about whether it was infected or not, eventually deciding that it probably was. After reading some other reviews it seems like that flavor could have been intentional, but that does not make it taste any better. I finished a 4 oz pour, but I wouldn't go back to it. (1,007 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -29.5%

Tried this out of novelty. Gross.

Poured from a bottle into a becher. Beer is dark brown and has a thin broken white head. Lacing is low and so is carbonation. Smell is slightly sweet, slightly lactic, lots of dirty carbon smell.

At first I taste almost nothing, then some roast hits me, then in the aftertaste...what's that....peanuts? Odd but not bad, second taste is a palate destroyer. GROSS! The peanut is everywhere now, not pleasant, odd sweetness...is that the jelly. Stop, I'm done no more please. (508 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -28.1%

4/15/2010

Deep brownish ruby with a quickly dissipating two finger light brown head. No lacing.

The aroma is of peanuts and tart dark raspberries. The aroma is somewhat pleasant and is not unlike peanut butter & jelly. Interesting.

Tart raspberry jelly greets my palate and it's accompanied by a light peanut presence. It's somewhat astringent, and though it's not what the brewer intended (so I heard), it's not horrendous. The tartness is just a bit off and it's very sour. I like the idea and I'd be interested in trying this again in the future if it's not infected. (574 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -27%

A. Pours a brown color with some red highlights in it. Has a thin tan head with little retention and hardly any lacing.
S. Smells like roasted peanuts,malts, mixed berries. The smell is a very nice smell and means beer should taste good.
T. I was wrong about tasting good. When first tasting it I get a strong taste of tart cherries, strawberries and probably other fruits. That is followed by a hops taste and than a little bit of peanut butter and coffee, but the fruit taste is too much and drowns out the other tastes. I can barely taste the peanut butter in this.
M. The mouthfeel is a bit sticky, chalky and acidic and is hard to even stand it in my mouth.
D. This may be drinkable if you like it, but for me this should be a drain pour.
I know this is supposed to be Short's Soft Parade and Uber Goober mixed together, but from now on I will drink them separately. (873 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -25.3%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a reddish brown color and not too much of a head. The nose brings forward a bit of tart strawberry and a bit of lactic acid. Not sure if this was early infection or if it's supposed to be that way. Not bad and certainly could have been intentional. The taste goes down the wrong road. I somewhat enjoyed the strawberry tartness in the nose, but the combination with the slight nutty flavors was really off-putting and really did not taste at all like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to me. Feel is light and strange; I just really did not enjoy this flavor combination. (600 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -23%

12oz bottle poured into large tulip - thanks to donerik

Pours a deep browned color, almost black. A frothy beige head bubbles up and slowly dissolves, retaining for a bit and leaving plenty of lacing on the glass.

Very interesting nose with hints of bread crust, toasted malt, sweet jelly fruit and some nuttiness. Also a note of metallic tartness which has been plaguing many Short's bottles I've opened recently.

Here we go again - Some slight notes of sweet fruit and breaded malt are completely blown away by rampant sourness. Biting metallic citric acid and sourness pretty much destroyed the entire profile on this one. I taste barely anything resembling the base beers.

Medium body, way high carbonation, prickly and abrasive. This is the 3rd beer in a row that I've had from Short's that's been off, and this is the worst one yet. A major disappointment as I like Oober Goober and was really interested in trying this. I'll re-review if I get another bottle down the line. (986 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -22.2%

12oz bottle, chilled, and poured into a Snifter.

Appearance- Pours a dark dark brown colour, with about a finger and a half of creamy tan head that quickly dissipates to small ring around the glass, leaving minimal lacing throughout till finish.

Smell- It actually does smell somewhat like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! And then pretty much goes downhill from there.

Taste- Whoa, you get a strong acidic fruit flavour right off the bat from this one that kind of lets the peanut butter shine through eventually in the finish, but much too strong on the “jelly” aspect of it, some roasted malts come through on the finish but very muted.

Mouthfeel- Very high carbonation almost fizzy on the mouth.

Overall- This could definitely use a lot more peanut butter taste, the “jelly” taste is much to strong and acidic for my liking. A fruity acid punch to the taste buds that doesn’t really subside too much, and for an ale this is a subpar offering from Short’s. (979 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -21.3%

Bottle

Thanks for sharing, j47paco!

Dark brown in color throughout with ruby and auburn edges. There's a thin light brown head that leaves spots of lace down the glass.

The aroma is as advertised! This smell's like a messy, dripping, kindergartner's peanut butter and jelly sandwich: mild breadiness, sticky Skippy peanut butter, and sweet strawberry jam! Unique, unusual, and honestly, pretty crazy.

Unfortunately, the flavor falls significantly away from the aroma, though I really had no idea what to expect even after sniffing this one for some time. This beer is pretty acidic and sharp, somewhat sweet, and there's a bit of bread and nuttiness left over, but there's nothing much here to enjoy or appreciate. It seems like an old, acidic, slightly soured (and not in a good way) nut brown ale.

Medium mouthfeel with enough carbonation, though somewhat sharp and a bit abrasive.

So glad I got to try this, thanks Juan! That being said, the liquid in the glass smelled far better than it tasted. (1,006 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -20.7%

A - Pours a somewhat murky dark brown. Two fingers of tan head dissipated rather quickly.

S - Smell wasn't quite what I expected. There's some peanut oil and tart strawberries followed by a slight roasty note. What really seemed to stick out was a musty funk.

T - This is pretty sour...the part I wasn't expecting. I got a strong strawberry blonde taste from this. The roasty nuttiness just didn't really translate to peanut butter for me.

M - Lighter body than you'd expect. Tingly carbonation that matches the flavor profile.

D - I found the sour/bitter note to be a little much actually finding it slightly difficult to power through this one. (655 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -18.5%

A- A very dark brown... make that black liquid. The brown head was quick to rise and fall like a cola.

S- Strawberries, peanuts, chocolate, and what I think is alcohol. Smells pretty similar to a PB&J sandwich. Much more appealing than the the Uber Goober.

T- Whoops... this is sour. Really sour. It seems that everything else about it is good, but the sourness is intense.

M- Sour and tart. Dry on the finish.

D- The sourness makes this pretty difficult to consume for the style. It's a damn shame because based upon the aroma, this did have some potential. (562 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -18.2%

Peanut butter stout and fruit rye ale.

Pours a date brown with a khaki light head.

Nose is a fruity cherry/berry sweet with a light acidic character and a real undertone of peanut butter/peanuts.

Mouthfeel is lightly acidic and bright. Well balanced and an elegant carbonation.

Flavor goes from an initial soda pop sweet character to a more elegant, refined and complex berry/cherry/light grape jam flavor with a short peach pit finish.

Initial tastes were almost offensive. Very approachable and almost like a "new" fresh fruit lambik as it warms. Very consumer friendly once you get over the sweet citric character. Tones of plums and cocoa as the beer warms. (671 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

A - Kind of a dark, reddish, brownish color, I suppose it could look like some sort of jelly, darker than I was expecting. Small head with not much stick to it.

S - Smells sweet, once again, I guess this could be some sort of sweet jelly smell, grapish most likely, small nut smell, I suppose that could be peanut butter?

T - Someone told me that this is mostly peanut butter, for me, it's mostly jelly, a strange jelly-grape taste and only a hint of nuts.

M - Much lighter than it looks, and highly carbonated.

D - No, I'm going to pass, a strange brew I don't want to drink anymore of. Interesting experiment, but they should let this one go. (648 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

Thanks to CellarSpace for sharing this one last night.

This pours dark brown with a tan head that stuck around leaving decent lace. On the nose there is a foul vegetal note that really ruins the rest of what's going on for me. It's almost like rotting brussel sprout. There is some grape something going on underneath, but it's buried far beneath layers of vegetal waste. In the mouth the beer isn't so bad, as the vegetal note almost disappears beneath grape, maybe strawberry, and peanut. The body is medium and the finish is tolerable with the better flavors sticking longest.

This is the case of a decent beer utterly sunk by one category. If the awful nose were replaced with something else, this might be something I could drink again. As it stands, no. (761 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -15.9%

Served in a SA perfect pint glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for allowing me to try this oddball

This beer pours a dark reddish brown color with a finger of beige foam. The smell is that of multiple berries piled on top of some sour rye with a nutty peanut background. It is what it claims to be, but that doesn't mean the smell is great...or even good. All of the aroma together just doesn't work for my nose...I blame the rye. There is an extremely tart taste right upfront. If I didn't know any better I would have to assume that this beer is infected, though I don't know if that's on purpose. Either way I'm not a fan of it. The finish is definitely peanut flavored. This tartness is a little too much for my liking. I'm glad to have tried this beer, but I really can't stand drinking it too much. I respect it for it's boldness, and it did achieve what it set out to, but this was meant to be a sandwich not a beer. (917 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -13.9%

I had this from a 12oz bottle into my tasting glas. It pours dark brown with a hint of dark red, light and retention. The aroma is light, you get a hint of peanut butter and some fruit, not grape jelly, but nothing that is very strong or really reminds you of a pbj. The taste is really just pretty bad. It tastes and feels like a stout which is very weird. Light nuts and fruit on the taste, but in general just a total failure. (429 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks for another beer from sweemzanders vast collection. Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Having had the pleasure of opening 7 bottles of this and all 7 being horrendously infected I have very little faith this will be any different.

A: Cola brown with slightly darker edges. About a finger of beige head that leaves soapy lace. Well so far so good. I couldn't get 2 ounces in a glass with my last bottles.

S: Well this is what this beer is supposed to smell like. Mild tart strawberry and a dash of peanut butter. Pretty much what the label advertised. No where near what I had hoped for but at least it's not bad.

T: Similar to the nose. Mildly tart berries and a solid roast nut/malt back bone. Again nowhere near what I wanted but nothing off putting.

M: Medium to light body. Maybe a touch thin. Mild carbonation.

D: Well it wasn't infected so that's a huge plus. As far as hitting the mark of a childhood staple. Keep trying Short's. (950 characters)

Short's PB & J from Short's Brewing Company