Short's PB & J - Short's Brewing Company

Short's PB & JShort's PB & J

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kegger22 on 12-18-2009)
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a hazy brown with hints of red. A light brown head of tiny tan bubbles.

Smell of sour strawberries, rye malt sweetness and peanut butter.... Yup they did it...

Taste of salty peanuts mixed with a very light stout and a sweet strawberry ale. Absolutely nailed the Peanut butter and jelly flavor and I have to say there is even some biscuit malt flavor in there for the bread component. Peanut flavor comes through with a heavy roast flavor and slightly oily. Everything I have ever seen regarding brewing with peanut butter hints at how difficult it can be with keeping the peanut oil out / keep it from going rancid. There is a pretty strong floral taste of very ripe strawberries.

Light mouthfeel and a light carbonation. Drinkable for a fruit beer and probably how it tastes best with all of these flavors. Sweet, Salty tangy, nutty... very interesting and well done. Nice job on the only PB & J beer on the market.

03-10-2011 02:23:59 | More by alpinebryant
EROlsizzle

3.03/5  rDev -12.7%

Definitely a different beer-drinking experience. I'm not trying to be flip at all with this comment, but it really tastes like a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. I had a single bottle in a mix-a-six, and not sure I would want to have another, but it's definitely a beer I'll never forget and a unique experience

03-10-2011 01:41:59 | More by EROlsizzle
rowingbrewer

3.45/5  rDev -0.6%

Sampled this beer at a recent tasting. This beer pours a dark brow with dark red tinge to it. Very small head that quickly goes away. The smell is just like a pb and j on whole wheat or rye bread. The taste is slightly fruity and tart with a kittle presence of the rye malt. Not so muc the true flavor of a pb and j but close enough for a beer. Mouhfeel is a little fuller than expected and slightly Puckering. Overall not to drinkqble but worth a try

03-08-2011 16:16:28 | More by rowingbrewer
Verecund

3.08/5  rDev -11.2%

Neat looking bottle. A peanut king entertains his strawberry admirers.

Very dark, dark purple hued brown with fairly thorough lacing.

I've never had Uber Goober or Soft Parade, but the first scent is of jammy strawberries, rye, oats, and, sure enough, peanut nuttiness. Some grape. Can't fault the nose much; very jammy.

A prickling tartness featuring an anonymous fruity sweetness, like really old, flavorless fruit (e.g. blueberries, sour cherries). It really is more of a feel than an obvious fruit flavor. There's an accompanying roasted, nutty flavor that comes through mid-palate. Some chocolate, rotten fruit, and nuttiness on the finish.

On the lighter end of the spectrum, with a nice, abrupt finish. Somewhat sticky on the front end of the palate.

Certainly an interesting beer and not half bad. The nose fits the bill, while the taste is a bit off to me. The fruit just doesn't come through enough for me and the finish is odd. That being said, I do respect the novelty aspect of PB&J.

03-07-2011 00:44:01 | More by Verecund
nhindian

1.68/5  rDev -51.6%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle generously provided as an extra by normyk, thanks Rob!

A - Although blended with a stout, I had expectations of this beer being lighter in color, but nope, pretty damn dark with only slight brown highlights to it. Builds about 2-fingers worth of head at its peak. Retention is fairly low as it fizzles out quickly. Little to no lacing.

S - The smell is actually pretty enticing, full of strawberry and a faint peanut nose to it. Also getting a smokiness similar to what was in Short's S'mores stout, but not to as great an extent. Smell is a little sour too which is a bit off-putting..

T - Excitedly, I take my first sip and... oh my goodness, what the hell happened to this beer. It's deathly sour and is like drinking a vile concoction of sea water and vinegar. Maybe a bit of cherry and raspberry poke through, and in the finish I'm getting the peanuts a little, but this beer is obviously off. Given the smell and taste, I'm not so sure my S'mores stout wasn't a little infected as well given what I've heard about Short's QC. I can't even get through half a bottle of this, but sadly it goes down the drain.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Long, long lasting bitterness in this one, unfortunately.

D - Drinkability is abysmal. In paper this beer had a lot of promise and I was greatly looking forward to it, but another let-down from Short's. A month ago I would've been excited to try anything these creative brewers put out, but now I'm extremely hesitant. It's a shame really, these guys are really trying to innovate.

03-03-2011 05:18:01 | More by nhindian
scottfrie

2.5/5  rDev -28%

12oz bottle into Delirium Noël snifter. StormKing47, you've done it again.

A: Pours an extremely dark clear brown with a super carbonated spritzy head that foamed up in the glass. Head disappeared rather quickly though and receded into a thin collar that left a pretty decent sheet of lacing down the glass.
S: At first whiff all I get is salty brine and olive juice. Upon further whiffing I get what I suppose could be described as a sort of 'nut' smell with just a hint of fruit behind it. Perhaps strawberries. There is a strange funk to the nose as well.
T: Pretty darn sour actually with lightly sweet notes of strawberry juice. Dark malts are right there to help balance it out, but the sour lactic dominates. Finish has some roasted notes to it, almost smokey or burnt-caramel like, and there is maybe the suggestion of peanuts.
M: Crazy carbonation foams up in my mouth over the medium body. The sourness really keeps my mouth watering long after I swallow.
D: This one is definitely interesting but may not be for me. After a few sips it became less and less appetizing. It's not bad, but if you haven't had it, consider splitting a bottle among friends.

02-25-2011 03:25:18 | More by scottfrie
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

3.08/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks for another beer from sweemzanders vast collection. Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Having had the pleasure of opening 7 bottles of this and all 7 being horrendously infected I have very little faith this will be any different.

A: Cola brown with slightly darker edges. About a finger of beige head that leaves soapy lace. Well so far so good. I couldn't get 2 ounces in a glass with my last bottles.

S: Well this is what this beer is supposed to smell like. Mild tart strawberry and a dash of peanut butter. Pretty much what the label advertised. No where near what I had hoped for but at least it's not bad.

T: Similar to the nose. Mildly tart berries and a solid roast nut/malt back bone. Again nowhere near what I wanted but nothing off putting.

M: Medium to light body. Maybe a touch thin. Mild carbonation.

D: Well it wasn't infected so that's a huge plus. As far as hitting the mark of a childhood staple. Keep trying Short's.

02-23-2011 02:47:33 | More by beerwolf77
cpetrone84

2.03/5  rDev -41.5%

A-pours a dark brownish liquid, mostly transparent with red edges. the head is a dark brown, fizzly and bubbly.

S-the nose is interesting, there are some peanut butter and jelly qualities, a very stale sandwich. there's also a fair bit of rye spice in this at the back and a light roasted quality.

T-infection, sourness is pretty strong, light notes of strawberry jelly, lightly roasted, very sweet malt presence in the back with a light metallic note.

M-medium body and slightly oily with a soft texture and high carbonation.

D-interesting concept but does have an infection. credit for creativity.

02-20-2011 23:54:55 | More by cpetrone84
betsona

Idaho

3.63/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Crafted on date of 11/29/10.

A- Pours a dark chocolate color with an one finger tannish head. The head dissipates quickly, but a slight head remains around the rim of the glass with ever so slight lacing.

S- Boy, smells like peanuts. A slight smell of grape jelly but the peanut is by far the main smell. Dead on to a pureed pb and j.

T- Starts with a strong sweet Welches grape jelly taste. At the end a roasted peanut taste lingers. Really like eating the combo jar of peanut-butter and jelly.

M- A surprisingly light body with little carbonation.

D- I cannot conceive of a time when I want more than half of a 12oz bottle. It was dead on what it was going for, but just too much for my pallet.

Overall, it is a beer that I will pick up when I go to a party that needs an injection of crazy. I think Short's nailed it.

02-20-2011 20:38:15 | More by betsona
SpdKilz

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

A big ole thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) for letting me tick this Short's beer I've been wanting to try for a while. This is actually the beer that introduced me to Short's Brewery. Cheers friend!

Appearance - Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a dark chocolate color. Little light passes by the edges of the glass, and over two fingers of chocolate head is achieved with a moderate pour. The head dissipates relatively fast, but leaves nice looking lacing.

Smell - F'n A man. Short's and their insanely accurate aromas. I absolutely get peanut butter and jelly. Roasty peanuts, I think grape jelly (though slight raspberry and cherry is noticed also). Honestly, that is about it.

Taste - Oddly, the first flavor is a tart...smokiness? I really didn't get that from the aroma, and again, Short's is spot on with the aroma but with the flavor not so much. However, I will say that after the tart berry flavor subsides, there is an absolute peanut butter taste. So, if you ignore the first odd flavor and only recognize the backend of the taste, it is actually somewhat spot on.

Mouthfeel - Lighter to slight medium bodied, decent carbonation, finishes oddly dry.

Drinkability - While I can't just quaff this, I am enjoying the odd flavors mixing together. Very interesting beer from Short's. Not their best, not their worst, but the beer as I stated, that first put Short's on the radar for me. Glad I was finally able to try this!

02-10-2011 03:06:43 | More by SpdKilz
alkemy

2.78/5  rDev -19.9%

A - Pours a somewhat murky dark brown. Two fingers of tan head dissipated rather quickly.

S - Smell wasn't quite what I expected. There's some peanut oil and tart strawberries followed by a slight roasty note. What really seemed to stick out was a musty funk.

T - This is pretty sour...the part I wasn't expecting. I got a strong strawberry blonde taste from this. The roasty nuttiness just didn't really translate to peanut butter for me.

M - Lighter body than you'd expect. Tingly carbonation that matches the flavor profile.

D - I found the sour/bitter note to be a little much actually finding it slightly difficult to power through this one.

02-04-2011 01:34:31 | More by alkemy
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

12 oz split in a Stone IRS tulip. No date or info. "Keep refrigerated." [Re-review]

Thanks to sweemzander for opening a non-infected bottle!

A - Hazy dark brown in color with a low off-tan head. Low retention but some sticky lace left over.

S - Smells slightly off with a bug-like addition to the roasted black malt, peanuts, grape, and strawberry jelly. Toasted bread completes the circle with a full-on nose of PB&J.

T - Roasted chocolate and bittersweetness with cocoa, Jelly and peanuts and toasted bread takes me back to the lunch-box days, this is a very awesome, unique beer.

M - Medium-light bodied and slightly dry with a crisp finish.

D - Good drinkability for a novelty beer, it's got a nice flavor that never gets cloying or old. I'd love to drink this side-by-side with a real PB&J sandwich!

[Original Review 02-03-2010: C - 2.8 A/4.5 S/3.5 T/2 M/2 D/2]

02-03-2011 01:40:33 | More by BeerFMAndy
GrahamWalters

3.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a 16 oz. tulip glass.

A: Pours a ruddy brown, almost no light passes through. Limited cream-colored head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S: Smells of ripe strawberry preserves on the front end with a bit of peanut butter bringing up the rear.

T: Mixture of sour strawberries and tart raspberries. A hint of peanut butter follows at the rear of the palate along with a slight amount of bitterness. Really does remind me of peanut butter and jelly, I love this beer.

M: Feels fairly thin and slides down the throat, although gets a bit clingy at the back of the mouth.

D: Average drinkability, I could only drink one before having to move on to something else.

02-03-2011 00:36:52 | More by GrahamWalters
KickInTheChalice

2.48/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: This pours a walnut / mahogany color. A nice creamy tan head rests on top. Good retention, and some lacing sticks to the glass on the way down.

Smell: Peanuts, with ethyl alcohol and peanut oil are in there too. Tart cherry and strawberry vinegar.

Taste: This tastes like something went wrong, maybe it is infected? Some peanuts sneak through, but the the taste has a lot of vinegar and some sour cherry in it. Peanuts and some biscuity malt make their way through. Pretty weird and not very good.

Mouthfeel: Lightly sticky, very acidic and vinegary. Medium carbonation and a light to medium body.

Drinkability: When I was drinking this with friends on Saturday, we all talked about whether it was infected or not, eventually deciding that it probably was. After reading some other reviews it seems like that flavor could have been intentional, but that does not make it taste any better. I finished a 4 oz pour, but I wouldn't go back to it.

01-31-2011 17:31:17 | More by KickInTheChalice
soze47

3.8/5  rDev +9.5%

Taken from notes, consumed late 12/10 or 01/11.

Appearance: Brown body with red tones. Almost a dirty amber hue. Head forms, but fizzles quickly, which is a good indicator of the body not being too large.

Aroma: Fruity tartness stands out, but you do pick up some malty/nutty tones too. Jelly beats out PB, but there is a balance here. Think of a sour balance by a nutty porter.

Taste: Tart and tangy with a slight nutty tone coming in on the secondary flavors. The stout portion (it is a blend) lingers as you drink, which creates a great melding as your drink with the sour tart fruit of strawberry dominating each initial drink.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Body is light side of medium, but the stout portion makes for a richer mouthfeel. Hard to make the call on the drinkability on this one. It is kind of a novelty beer that I would order on tap, but not probably ever get a whole sixer of at the store.

Overall: Unique blend and great experiment. But if they really wanted to make a true PB and J, the PB needs a boost to compete with the robust, great tasting strawberry tart flavors.

01-31-2011 00:53:30 | More by soze47
cetherid

Indiana

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

poured into a tulip

A.

A very dark beer...not really black but dark purple, brown, etc. Kind of an ugly murky color. About 1 fingers worth of light brown head the dissipated quickly.

S.

I was skeptical, but it actually does smell like peanut butter and jelly. Not sure what fruit is used in this. I smell strawberry, grape...perhaps some blackberry.

T.

up front I get some really sour fruit like grapes or even strawberry. Slight tartness but sourness dominates. Not sure if this is infected or not but the sourness is kinda prevalent. Towards the end the PB flavor creeps in, very subtle but noticeable. I enjoy sours so it's still decent, however I would like to try this on tap and compare notes.

*the more I drink this the more it definitely seems like an infected bottle. Almost feels like a light lambic*

M.

about medium bodied, with decent carbonation...slight tingle on the tongue..probably because of infection.. A little dry finish as well.

D.

The sourness is a little high for me to drink another bottle, but I will go out of my way to have this, and other Short's beers on tap. it's difficult to get these beers in Indiana so I have to have friends pick them up or I'll have to snag some the next time I'm in MI.

01-29-2011 02:40:28 | More by cetherid
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.4/5  rDev -2%

Appearance: pruple-jelly nice light-purple head

Aroma: Tart grape jelly.

Taste: Slightly reminiscent of PB&J, tart grape and raspberry/strawberry jelly and a slight peanut nuttiness with some white bread flavors. A bit processed tasting. Seems infected due to the sour elements.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin, good carbonation. If something is going to taste like PB&J it ought to have a big mouthfeel I think.

Drinkability: Goes down but I can't imagine ever wanting another of these.

01-27-2011 02:26:47 | More by craytonic
TMoney2591

3.28/5  rDev -5.5%

Served in a Half Acre shaker pint glass.

Thanks to KJGAGNE for this experiment!

What a regal-looking goober. This thing pours a dark, murky ruby-sienna topped by a finger or so of sandy tan foam. The nose literally comes off as advertised: It's as though I'm sniffing a peanut butter and jelly sammich on rye bread. Straight up. Perhaps a bit more jelly than peanut butter, but that happens sometimes. The taste brings the rye back, a touch on the dark side, along with some peanut butter, but the jelly has been made from some o' the tartest grapes yet employed by jelly-teers. I'm not sure if infection is the cause, or just poor jelly-making, but something ain't quite kosher here. At the same time, though, everything ain't horrid, either. Just kinda bleh. The body is a straight medium, with a moderate carbonation and a prickly feel. Overall, not the best thing I've put in my mouth with these initials, but I'm glad I got to try it out. VDubb, on the other had, is just no returning from the sink. I should really think twice about what I share with him...

01-26-2011 04:11:46 | More by TMoney2591
Vdubb86

2.95/5  rDev -15%

Served in a SA perfect pint glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for allowing me to try this oddball

This beer pours a dark reddish brown color with a finger of beige foam. The smell is that of multiple berries piled on top of some sour rye with a nutty peanut background. It is what it claims to be, but that doesn't mean the smell is great...or even good. All of the aroma together just doesn't work for my nose...I blame the rye. There is an extremely tart taste right upfront. If I didn't know any better I would have to assume that this beer is infected, though I don't know if that's on purpose. Either way I'm not a fan of it. The finish is definitely peanut flavored. This tartness is a little too much for my liking. I'm glad to have tried this beer, but I really can't stand drinking it too much. I respect it for it's boldness, and it did achieve what it set out to, but this was meant to be a sandwich not a beer.

01-26-2011 04:10:18 | More by Vdubb86
MbpBugeye

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%

Big thanks to Normyk for this one. I love Short's and all of their wackiness.

A blend of Peanut Butter Stout and Fruit Rye Ale. Drank using a Perfect Pint.

A- The beer is pretty dark and murky. Its a muddy root beer color with a fizzy tan head. The head pares down substantially but remains at a sturdy skin capable of modest lacing.

S- As I sit here smelling this beer, each whiff makes me chuckle. The idea seems absurd and I didnt expect it to hit its mark, well thus far I am wrong. There is certainly peanut butter and jelly in the aroma, big time. You wouldnt even need anyone to tell you its PB&J to put your finger on these aromas. The peanut butter is very similar to the peanut smell in their Uber Goober. Its a little bit roasty with the peanut shells and all included. A cherry, raspberry and blackberry blend sweetens things up and is the jelly to this beers peanut butter. The malts actually help lend the bread crust that really gives this beer its namesake. Swirling brings out the actual beer characteristics, which to me, sorta ruins the fun. Im able to stir up some roasted stout-like aromas and perhaps some rye.

T- A sharp tartness is very shocking at first. I wasnt getting any indications of tartness from the aroma. Once my palate recovered from the surprise, the tartness became a pretty welcome addition to the flavor profile here. It goes hand in hand with the blackberry/raspberry jelly type flavors. Indeed the beer would be better served if the tartness was toned back a little, but its not ruining things here.

The peanut butter leads the nose and the jelly leads the flavor. Its mostly tart and sweet with mixed berries. The finish holds what peanut butter that actually makes it to the tongue.

M- Highly carbonated and pretty dry. I prefer my sandwiches be very low on the carbonation.

D- Drinking this is a total hoot. Im having fun with this beer, but I cant gulp it down. But I think the fun factor is the whole reason behind this beer anyway.

01-25-2011 03:20:06 | More by MbpBugeye
mcgwire756

3.23/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle into a tulip.

This is one of the most unique beers I have ever had. I am not saying it is one of the best. In fact it is pretty average except for its intrigue. The pour is not very impressive as it pours a dark brown/red. This beer really does smell just like PB& J. The taste is more of jelly, however there is almost no carbonation and borders more on a wine feel than a beer. I think it is worth a try since it is unique and not something you will have all the time. I might try it again, however I would not consider this a beer or even know how to classify it.

01-20-2011 01:07:34 | More by mcgwire756
Kkottonmouthkngz

3.13/5  rDev -9.8%

this brew pours a dark dark cherry red with miniscule kahki head. it actually leaves a little sticky lacing anytime the glass moves though. the color alone i think scores a few points.
i do get a bit of peanut butter on the nose, coupled with a tart cherry tinge. im not quite sure if i like or dislike it, but i guess the intrigue scores a few points as well.
it kind of goes down hill from there. tart cherry dominates in a rather unpleasant fassion, and again with the weird peanut butter background... im just not sure what to make of it. i kind of want to like it just because it is different and obscure.
it grows on me a little over time once i can get past the peanutty aspect. i definitely could not drink more than one, but i am glad i was able to experience it. even my girlfriend had to try this one .

01-19-2011 01:56:35 | More by Kkottonmouthkngz
ottovon

Arizona

3.85/5  rDev +11%

shared with whiterascal.

A: pours out a dark brown with a tan head.

S: i get mostly a jelly/fruit smell in the nose. i get some caramel as well, not a whole lot in the peanut butter department.

T: this is quite tart. not really at all what i was expecting. i dont get much sourness in the nose. it is a tart cherry flavor, as well as some strawberry and raspberry. I do get some peanut butter in the finish.

M: the mouthfeel is medium, but has a lot of carbonation.

D: i like this beer, but dont know if i would want more than 1.

01-18-2011 04:28:05 | More by ottovon
TCgoalie

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%

Thanks Matt, the last of the beer shower reviews...

One might think this would be an interesting color, but the stout mixed in makes it black. Not much head happening and no lacing.

Some nutty smells mix with some chocolate malt and fruit. The fruit smell is hard to place, but I'm guessing strawberry and raspberry.

If this beer was a sandwich, it would have 8 spoon fulls of jelly with 1 small knife spread of peanut butter. There is a lot of strawberry, blackberry, raspberry flavor with not much stout to balance. I feel as though the stout is only in place to mellow out the fruitiness.

Medium in the mouth with low carbonation. There is some drying in the end with a twinge of heat.

This was much better last year. It seems Short's misplaced their recipe and added to much Jelly this year.

01-15-2011 03:33:11 | More by TCgoalie
jale

3.7/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Pours a dark brown with a finger of light tan head lasting about 1 minute

S: boiled peanuts, earh and slight sour fruit.

T: Sour grapes and cherries, light boiled peanuts and light malt.

M: Loads of carbonation

D: I love sours so I could drink several of these.

01-12-2011 00:14:20 | More by jale