Short's PB & J - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: kegger22 on 12-18-2009

2.57/5  rDev -26.8%

A. Pours a brown color with some red highlights in it. Has a thin tan head with little retention and hardly any lacing.
S. Smells like roasted peanuts,malts, mixed berries. The smell is a very nice smell and means beer should taste good.
T. I was wrong about tasting good. When first tasting it I get a strong taste of tart cherries, strawberries and probably other fruits. That is followed by a hops taste and than a little bit of peanut butter and coffee, but the fruit taste is too much and drowns out the other tastes. I can barely taste the peanut butter in this.
M. The mouthfeel is a bit sticky, chalky and acidic and is hard to even stand it in my mouth.
D. This may be drinkable if you like it, but for me this should be a drain pour.
I know this is supposed to be Short's Soft Parade and Uber Goober mixed together, but from now on I will drink them separately.

4.04/5  rDev +15.1%

My 50th review. Ridiculous milestone. anyway, down to business...

A - pours a murky brown, letting some red light through the edges, a small beige head that holds fairly well.

S - highly roasted peanuts dominate, some coffee, some fruit tartness. I suppose this is what PB & J would smell like.

T - The fruit is a bit tart, and it's what hits you first. The peanut butter is unmistakable, however, and is a nice follow to the fruitiness of the front of this beer. It's an odd dynamic, but definitely captures a PJ & B quite well.

M - It's fairly full and thick, but the tart acidity makes it kind of confused and less than desirable.

D - Because this beer is so interesting, I think it is pretty darn drinkable. It's not too powerful, and the tastes don't linger in a way that precludes you from drinking it easily.

Conclusion: This is a peculiar beer, and if it were not marketed as JP & B, I'd be confused and probably not like it much. However, since I know what's going on, and I think it's a pretty good imitation of a food in a beer, this is absolutely worth trying.

1.82/5  rDev -48.1%

A- Pours a very odd brown color with a huge brown head. Head has pretty good retention, and some spotty lacing is left behind.

S- This is a pretty odd smelling beer. It smells like a ton of nuts and a mixture of some sort of fruit. Maybe a darker fruit.

T- It really tastes like a PB&J, and I don't like it at all. Overall pretty sweet from this odd fruit taste and tons of roasted malts. Has a very odd flavour to it and I'm not digging it.

M- Fuller side of medium in body and in carbonation.

D- I found this one very hard to drink. I probably won't ever go back to this one.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

I bought a 12 oz. bottle from the Beer Baron Liquor Store in Livonia, Michigan. Dark pour with very little head. Sour fruit aroma. This beer actually tastes like a pb&j sandwich. Nothing like it!! I'd drink this again, but I prefer the Uber Goober Stout.

3.73/5  rDev +6.3%

12oz split w/ friends in Newport. Review from notes. Thanks to kzoobrew for the shorts. Poured into pint glass.

A- Big, lively head, murky brown body and the head fizzes out quickly.

S- Nice fruity notes on this- I guess I'll call it jelly-esque.

T- The oatmeal stout is hard to find in taste but it is easuily felt in presence. Great sweet and mildly tart fruit explosion, and a nice malty bready baseline as well. I like it, and get what they were going for.

M- Great fruit notes, good body, good carbonation, no qualms here.

D- Fairly low- I like the flavors better than the straight Uber Goober but think Uber Goober is prob. a bit more drinkable. Another interesting one from Shorts.

3.69/5  rDev +5.1%

A truly interesting beer courtesy of kzoobrew- served in a mini-taster glass

A hazy dark caramel pour with 2 fingers of tan head. The smell is basically a slightly funky version of that sandwich you got at least once a week in that brown paper bag. They really nailed the PB&J smell, now if they can just make a fluffanutter beer... Anywho, there is a slight sour funk in the taste and nose but it is not overpowering. Good carbonation and nice overall feel. I think 1 bottle will suffice, but I'm glad I got to try it.

4.35/5  rDev +23.9%

Pours a tiny head. Color is dark black.

Smell is a bit fruity, but as the head dissipates it becomes much more bitter.

First sip is pretty fun. I've had both the Uber Goober and the Soft Parade separately, which are both very good beers as is. Combined together they make a very intriguing beer. It really does live up to the name of Peanut Butter and Jelly. There are qualities of both sets of ingredients that survive enough to be easily recognizable by the palate. Mouthfeel is present and very lively, with a good level of carbonation present.

Another very good beer by Shorts. Get this one before it goes out of season!

3.52/5  rDev +0.3%

Very dark with faint chestnut edges topped with a short cap of very fine tan bubbles. Good head retention with a little bit of stickage. Nifty aroma, smells almost exactly like dry roasted peanuts and fruity jam. Light roast, berries, sweetness, bready, lots of peanut. Very cool, just like a PB&J sandwich. Unfortunately the aroma didn't translate directly into the flavour, as is often the case with beers that seek to mimic another food. The fruit flavour was very tart, sour berries, without the sweetness that was so nice in the aroma. The peanut flavour was muted and somewhat overrun by the sourness. It still tasted alright, but not as enticing as the aroma. Medium bodied with high, slightly coarse carbonation. A worthy experiment and very interesting beer.

3.57/5  rDev +1.7%

I first smelled this beer out of the bottle and was shocked by the pb & j aroma. After pouring it with a 1 cm head, a faint sour milk quality crept in, but not too strong or offensive like the S'mores beer. A the more it warms, the more the pb&j comes out and the sourness goes away.
PB&J is there in the taste too, can you say hallelujah?! The fruit is sharp, like strawberry and fresh grapes, and it competes with/enhances an acid/mineral presence. Maybe it's the rye. I wish the nutty component was stronger, but the more I drink, the less I care. I like this beer a lot despite its flaws.
Mouthfeel is thin and effervescent, the acidity seems to be lifted off the tongue while leaving a nice balanced and flavorful finish.
Short's has successfully merged PB & J and beer. Basically, they're heroes.

3.39/5  rDev -3.4%

Short's PB+J from a bottle courtesy surlytheduff (thanks). Disclaimer: I love what Short's does in theory, but in practice, I haven't had one of their food beers succeed in a bottle (on tap is a different story altogether).

Pours dark brown and smells a bit fruity, maybe a bit yeasty and a touch sour - all much more subdued than I was expecting.

Drinks with medium carbonation and feels thin to moderate in the mouth.

Tastes like a fruity, bready brown ale. I don't really get the peanut butter, exactly, but I do get the bread element. The fruity aspect is a bit sour for my tastes and doesn't scream jelly. As the beer warms, if you repeat "PB+J" over and over in your head, you pick it up and see what they were trying to do - which has to be considered at least a partial success.

I wouldn't call this beer all that drinkable. The acidic quality makes it a bit of a challenge to get through the end.

4.19/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Just received in trade from regular trading partner erikkoppin. Thanks again have been wanting for some time and ready to rock...

A- A very deep and intriguing brown color with a ruby hue that reminds me of a solid looking porter. Has a nice amount of carb with an off-white/light brownish head almost a light khaki color. Looks pretty solid, but kind of wish the stout color came out more from the blending.

S- Holy shit! I am immediately transformed into kindergarten on mystery meat day at lunch. I have packed my lunch and mom has provided me with a kick ass smuckers and jam pb&j. It's shocking that it smells like light peanut butter and a sweet strawberry jam with a touch of grape in the back. As it warms more and more fruits come to the senses in a sweet blend of blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and grapes tingle in my nostrils it smells intoxicatingly sweet almost to the point of weird. Definitely smells like it's intended to, fantastic.

T- Right away I get a pop of slightly sweet and bitter peanut butter a very sharp opening taste that is very welcoming. As the brew is swished around I get a blast of fruit explosion in the finish. The sweetness of strawberry, raspberry and blackberry with a tiny tartness of grape is overwhelming. I am falling in love with a new dessert beer. A slight warming reveals a new wave of peanut butter and a touch of roasted malts and an unexpected pull back of fruit sweetness more bitter and roasted than fruity. Every sip seems to change, make sure to swirl this beauty before each sip! Simply astonishing.

M- A tad too thin almost, but not exactly watery. I am not getting any chalkiness just a thin coating and a rather thin feel that is a little underwhelming. Not what I expected with the stout blended, but not too bad.

D- This is a great desert beer, that is a little overly sweet, but still absolutely fantastic. It's definitely not sessionable because the odd mixture of flavors in each sip is palate wrecking to a certain point. Still great.

I don't understand why this brew gets knocked. It's great fresh I can see if it was infected, but this one is right on as intended and amazing. Keep them coming Shorts!

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Notes are fairly recent and, of course, thorough.

The color of this beer is an extremely dark brown. A light brown head forms around one finger high with decent retention and moderate lacing.
Both peanut butter and jelly are prevalent in the aroma, and the jelly mixes a bit more purely here than in the flavor. There's a malty backbone here that's enough to rest on while allowing the true character to come through nicely.
The jelly turns a touch tart and goes a bit too soft in the flavor, though the peanut remains. Just underneath linger notes of chocolate and grains.
The body is medium with appropriately light carbonation and a nice smoothness.
This is spot on if only the jelly doesn't fade out in the flavor. As usual, Short's does a good job with an interesting food-inspired brew.

3.73/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to Alleykatking!

A vigorous pour yields 3 fingers of medium brown head on top of a dark brown, reddish color. Smells are berry jelly and a little peanut and a slight sourness that becomes more prevalent as the beer warms up . Taste is mostly berry jelly at the front, then some peanut and a a lot of coffee and a slightly bitter peanut/chocolate finish, very interesting. Mouthfeel is medium, slightly tart and drying. I only had one of these to drink, but I could probably do maybe one more, as the smell is kind of off-putting after a while.

3.65/5  rDev +4%

Reviewed from notes written on 12-17-10.

PB & J pours brown with a ruby tint 'round the edges into a big snifter. A light brown, half-finger head materializes and disappears in no time, leaving a nebulous haze on top. Some lace is left on the glass as the beer disappears, but not more than some small dots and streaks.

Well, there are definitely peanut notes upfront in the smell, along with a hefty serving of berries - strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Some roasted malt lurks behind the the initial smells, along with a strange, Saran-Wrap-like plastic aroma. Yeah, I can smell a tasty sandwich in there.

Berries ambush my mouth at the onset of the taste and don't let go for the duration of the sip. Post-swallow, roasted malt and peanuts are liberated. I'm going to wait a bit for this to warm... okay, I'm back after rocking out some tasty piano licks. The finish is a nice blend of the two components... I just wish that the whole taste experience would be that way. For me, it's a little too heavy on the Soft Parade and not quite enough of the Uber Goober.

The mouthfeel is quite light a the beginning and becomes more substantial toward the end. The carbonation is about right for what the beer is. For me, the feel is too syrupy sweet and stinging from the tart berries, and not creamy and full enough from the peanut stout.

PB & J essentially accomplishes what it is shooting for, but falls just short of a perfect balance between the PB and the J. If I was tasked with renaming the brew, I would call it J and the PBs. Anyway, I would have it again, but it isn't a must-repeat for me.

2.13/5  rDev -39.3%

$2.30 for a 12oz bottle @ Jacks. A blend of Peanut Butter Stout and Soft Parade.

Pours out to a dark brown, forming a soapy tan head with average retention but very nice lacing. Mildly carbonated. The aroma is peculiar...I can pick up the berries, mostly strawberries, of the soft parade and the peanut of the stout, as well as faint black walnut, and a little bit of vanilla. The mouthfeel is weird...smooth, but sour and chalky with a medium-light body. The taste is what you might expect...the berries of the soft parade stand out on top of the stout, but as my GF says "That's GROSS!" I have to agree with her. It's not something I really want to finish...I'll force myself to because I paid for it, not because it tastes good. There is a metallic aftertaste and a moderate bitterness which doesn't sit well in the stomach. Burped strawberries.

I would definitely NOT buy this again, although I would probably try it on tap. Pretty gross.

3.66/5  rDev +4.3%

A_Dark brown almost black with red highlights. Thick khaki head with a swirl of red tint. Nice retention and lacing.

S_Smell is mostly strawberry with a hint of peanut.I,ve never had soft parade but can definitely pick out the uber goober.

T_The strawberry and peanut butter come in waves. The taste varies from sip to sip. I'd say that the peanut butter is less noticeable than the fruit flavor.

M_Smooth medium bodied but a bit watery with a chalky film left on the tongue.

D_Overall definitely worth a try but I can't see myself drinking too many.

4.39/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a darker deep brown color. Reddish hues show on the sides of the glass when held up to the light. One finger light brown head shows poor retention. Light streaky lacing on the sides of the glass. I have begun to accept the fact that Short's fruit beers will never produce the nice head I am looking for.

S- Lots of strawberry and hints of grape jelly! I mean lots of it when it's cold. Letting this beer warm up you can get more hint of peanuts which make my mouth water. There is a light roast in this but it is really in the background. Also, some raspberry might be detected but I might be wanting to smell that!

T- Boat loads of strawberry and grape jelly combo. There is a light sourness with this that works well with the flavor profile. Some light roasted malts in the middle of the beer gives off actually more of a toasted flavor I would say. Backend is mostly peanut flavor...like I just ate a mouthful of peanuts. A pretty good flavor of a PB & J once the beer warms up.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation is low but works very well with the beer. Lots of jelly like flavors left on the palate. Roasted peanuts with slight roast to this from the malts and of course some more of the sourness from the jelly flavor in the aftertaste. Flavors were balanced I thought for the style...which in itself was a odd combo. Light drying on the palate from the alcohol. Clean flavors as well...with nothing off putting.

D- This beer to me was fantastic. A nice experimental beer that seems to be dead on to me at least to what it is suppose to be. I really enjoyed the lack of alcohol that came through with this beer that would have killed a little bit of flavor. I would love to drink a sixer of this but one at a time is good for now.

3.87/5  rDev +10.3%

A- Is dark brown,somewhat black in appearance. Looks almost like a stout. Very little head retention but good carbonation.

S- smells like strawberry jam, peanuts, has some earthy tones and I can pick up just a little bit of what smells like raspberry.

T- Taste the strawberry jam right away, almost punches you in the mouth with a tart sweetness. Finishes with a mellow peanut taste that almost seems a little off, but is still good.

M- this one is extremely light for how dark it is, very tart feel to it, a cheek pucker.

D- This one is too sweet and just to different to be able to be very drinkable.

Notes: this beer is very different, the complexity of the flavors and the uniqueness of this one make it worth trying.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. No freshness date, but I know this was released a short time ago.

Appearance: Pours a very dark chocolate color. When held up to the light you can see some more of the strawberry red color, which surprisingly I can still see in this dark beer. It pours a fingers worth of light brown dense head which eventually fades. A few wisps remain.

Smell: Sweet, ripe strawberries right away, then some earthy peanuts. Wow. A little funkiness/sourness in there too, but not much. The processed smell of peanut butter is dead on, just like I popped open a jar of Jiff.

Taste: The peanut flavor is right up front, but doesn't last very long. The strawberry flavors hit immediately afterwards, and this flavor lasts a while. It doesn't have the tart cherry flavors that a lot of other cherry beers have, but this is a dark red, overly ripe cherry. Very mellow and not tart or sharp. That tiny but of sourness is left after the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation. The bubbles seem to grow a little through the swallow, the the body and the carbonation work really well together. Both are balanced really well.

Overall: Nothing is overpowering about this beer. The flavors work perfectly together, (I mean, c'mon, it's PB & J!) plus they are just delicious. Combine those two factors and this beer is extremely easy to drink.

3.63/5  rDev +3.4%

First off I'd like to say that I got this accidentally in place of the Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout - which of course is one of the two components of this brew. Advertised as a blend of "peanut butter stout and fruit rye ale" it truly manages to evoke a PB & J flavor and function as a solid beer at the same time.

It looks dark as a stout should yet has even less head than even the stronger variants, settling immediately with no visible lacing. Still, that alluring color is enough to sustain my interest.

It smells overwhelmingly yet subtly like peanuts (basically, it's not an in-your-face smell but it is the major component of what I do sniff out.) with (yep!) hints of fruit and tanginess. Hints.

The taste is where the delicate balancing act really shines. This does satisfy with a roastiness and depth I expect of a stout yet feels balanced and lightened by the fruit ale side of the equation.

It's drinking something you'd expect to be heavy as boulders but coming away feeling effervescent and refreshed, and a bit light. Just the way the jelly against the thick peanut butter on a real PB & J sandwich. It feels substantial but never heavy on the tongue.

As far as drinkability goes, this department also lives up to it's name. I've only one to judge by, but I imagine - and would like to, at this point - I'd easily put several of these away without hesitation. The deep/light divide this thing straddles probably has to be experienced to be understood. It's not the best thing ever but it's a unique feel. One worth seeking out.

2.63/5  rDev -25.1%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a reddish brown color and not too much of a head. The nose brings forward a bit of tart strawberry and a bit of lactic acid. Not sure if this was early infection or if it's supposed to be that way. Not bad and certainly could have been intentional. The taste goes down the wrong road. I somewhat enjoyed the strawberry tartness in the nose, but the combination with the slight nutty flavors was really off-putting and really did not taste at all like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to me. Feel is light and strange; I just really did not enjoy this flavor combination.

3.45/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanx to imperialking for shooting me this 12oz bottle, good lookin out playa.

A: had a little gush upon opening the bottle but poured a dark brown with slight maroon highlights that had a 2 finger head and left great lacing sticking to the glass.

S: at first whiff the roasted malts hit me right off the bat but I could tell there was some coffee which also had bready, jam,and slight peanut butter notes; very intresting.

T: I'm sure this beer is infected cause its pretty sour but I do get a little jam and peanut butter but the roastiness seems to only be dominate on the nose.

M: its was light in body with lots of carbonation that had a slight sweet but sour and. Tingly finish.

D: drank alright due to the sourness but I'm a little bummed out that I couldn't get this brew in time to actually taste the true elixir; damn it.

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

A very soft pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a six-finger thick, cocoa-tinged, light brown colored head. The beer is a deep, concentrated brown color. The aroma of this beer reminds me of Concord grape jelly as I am pouring it. A more focused inspection of nose yields a soft lactic acidity, a nutty note in the finish, some chalky toasted / roasted grain notes (as well as some rustic grain spiciness) and more of the concord grape jelly aromas. Besides the light acidity, the aroma definitely reminds me of a PB&J sandwich.

Faintly sweet tasting up front, the beer quickly takes on a lactic sourness that lingers on the palate. Spicy grain notes and some toasted whole-grain flavors provide a rich complex maltiness that really seems to be the dominant flavor profile here. A dry, fermented berry (and even concord grape) flavor couples seamlessly with the lactic tartness and provides an almost vinous quality to this beer. A touch of chalky toasted / roasted grain provides a touch fo dark maltiness in the finish. This is actually fairly light bodied and quaffable, the lactic infection has likely reduced the body on this a fair amount.

This is an interesting beer that likely has some sort of lactic infection. Despite this it is still an enjoyable brew, but I am sure it has departed quite a bit from the intended flavor profile. Actually this beer is quite enjoyable; clearly not intended as a sour beer, but the clean acidity really works with the rest of the flavors.

4.32/5  rDev +23.1%

From notes: Deep brown pour with red highlights and a light tan head - aromas of, well, peanut butter and jelly. Roast, peanuts , strawberries and blueberries. Mild spicy rye in the background. First sip brings fruit to the forefront and the peanut and roast with dark malt comes through on the way down. Mellow rye as it melds very wonderfully overall. Great balance and a great blend. Medium bodied good carbonation. Easy to drink and extremely unique. Glad I cracked this one fresh!

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

12oz bottle received in trade with Thorpe429. Thanks Mike! Poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

Been wanting some of this since the EBF 2009.

A - Pours very foamy out of the bottle. Foams up very quickly but the head fades away much like a glass of soda - at a slightly slower pace and never really going away completely. Leaves behind huge frothy, sticky lacing.

S - A somewhat unique blend of aromas here...and not unlike the name would imply. I get a strawberry aroma up front with a nuttiness in the immediate background and some dark roasted malts behind that.

T - Definitely get a berry flavor up front...not quite a pure strawberry flavor, but a mix of probably several different berries. A bit of sourness in there too with the fruit flavors. Also, the peanut butter component is not lost. Very much like the aroma, the nutty flavor sits a bit quietly behind the fruit flavors. I won't say this is making me long for a PB&J sandwich right now, but it is interesting and overall I'd call this experience mostly a success. Hard to compare to anything else though.

M - Frothy and foamy are the two main descriptors here. The carbonation is very high...maybe a bit of an infection going on (heard some banter about this) which could be causing the sour and the foaminess. The sour lingers behind, along with the peanuts - it's really the aftertaste that says PB&J to me. Wish the carbonation was a bit more in the medium range to match the body of the beer.

D - Really glad to get a bottle of this one. That being said, maybe I had a bit of a romantic memory of this beer from EBF'09. Still good, but didn't hit me the same way. I think if the carbonation was kept more in check, it might have been close to living up to expectations. The foaminess is really a distraction to me. Good in moderation...1 in a sesssion is plenty.

Short's PB & J from Short's Brewing Company