Good Humans - Short's Brewing Company

Good HumansGood Humans

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: webmanspidey on 12-20-2009)

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

4.72/5  rDev +24.9%

One of my favorite seasonal beers from Short's. Poured from a bottle into a glass. Seth Bernard did the drawing on the label with lyrics from his song "We're Humans", both of which I love.

A - Opaque, dark reddish brown, very thin head.

S - Orange peel with a very malty sweetness. Mild hop aroma and a very smokey molasses.

T - Rich maltiness, mild hoppiness. Strong coriander on the finish and very dry on the finish. Has that signature Short's finish that I can't put my palette on -- we'll just call it the Short's umame.

M - Soft, bitter, and frothy.

D - High -- very smooth, goes down quick.

4.7/5  rDev +24.3%

As I poured this brew into my nonick pint glass, out came a cloudy brown ale with a slight bit of an orange glow in the light. There was a nice, white, full head on top with great retention as I tipped the glass. Upon dipping my nose into the glass, there was an overwhelming hop aroma; beautifully hoppy. There's a tinge of malt backing, but the majority of the scent is a nice, cirtusy, floral hop goodness. The brew has an uncommon, yet delightful, flavor to it. You can taste the brown ale, you can taste the hops, but there's a quality, citrus balance in between it all. It tastes more like a well-balanced IPA than it does a brown ale; however, the amount of malt and slight bit of roastiness I taste within, makes it switch back and forth on my palate. The citrus/fruit undertone mellows out all the flavors and brings it back to earth. I really enjoying this brew's flavor. After each sip was a fruity sensation that almost had the essence of a lime zest. Little heat after-the-fact as well... I mean, it is a double afterall.

4.66/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm a hop head so I love this dry hopped take on a brown ale. My new favorite brown ale.

4.63/5  rDev +22.5%

so i decided last night to break out 10+, thats right 10+ new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

an absolutely exceptional beer to say i was thrilled to death to be able to try this would be the understatement of the night. pours out a nice medium brown color with a short lived head of off white that has just enough to it that it is able to coat the sides of the glass with a light lacing.

a really nice and healthy dose of hops great you as you take the first breath in. warming with a definite alcohol nose but this is shunted by a ridge caramel malt that balances it perfectly against the rest of the profile. smooth, rich and much fuller then one would expect the richness of the flavor wastes no time at all in coming across here. really well done the brown sugar and earthy base is cut by deep, piney hops and a resonant alcohol touch that really warms the belly. smooth finish leaves a dry touch that is both a nice and clean finish but has a small hint of roasted nuts that pops up.

overall would take this any day over an arrogant bastard or other strong ale. just really, really well done.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Poured into tumbler pint.

A- Lovely amber brown color, small, tan white head, with nice, medium lacing.

S- Nice, forward citrusy hop bouquet, with sweet, malty overtones.

T- A delicious synergy of sweet, malty, and hoppy flavors leap into the palate. The hops shine through nice in the finish and aftertaste, as well, with a grapefruit-esque flavor coming through (reminds me of fruit ring cereal, in some sense).

M- Smooth, creamy, and pleasantly carbonated with a mild-medium body.

D- I find this one very drinkable, and would gladly several more.

To my mind, an excellent brew. Its a wonderful marriage of IPA and brown ale elements which i enjoy immensely. This pairing really seems like a great beer for hopheads and lovers of brown ales alike, as it offers a nice palate of both worlds. I recently gave one of these to a good friend who usually tends towards macro pilsners, and he loved it. I look forward buying another 6-pack before its next brewing :)

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Bottle poured into pint glass

This beer has grown on me since last years seasonal release. I enjoy a good hoppy brown ale and this beer has become a favorite this season. Pleasant sweet hoppy aroma and great color and a smooth finish.

Very smooth for 8% with lots of flavor and very drinkable.

Good Humans from Short's Brewing Company