Good Humans - Short's Brewing Company

Good HumansGood Humans

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: webmanspidey on 12-20-2009)

ThatsThatDude, Apr 25, 2014

1.5/5  rDev -60.2%

DonFrap, Jul 10, 2013

SpongeRuiner, May 29, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -41.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

A vigorous pour produces a trace amount khaki colored head on a murky ruby brown body.

Aroma has very little hop presence or typical brown ale flavors. Slightly sour with dark fruit and mild solvent.

I'm guessing this is infected as the flavor is immediately artificially sweet, like orange and strawberry Starburst and finishes with an astringent sourness. Under that mess there is some nutty malt flavors, but still no hops. The more i drink, the less sure I'm that this is infected, but regardless I'm not enjoying this and will pour out the rest of the glass. Oh well.

yourefragile, Feb 04, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

mwbrady12, Jul 29, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -39%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Live review of a 12 oz bottle.

Infected.

A: A nice clear mahogany with a one-finger creamy head that sticks.
S: Plums and cranberry juice, very earthy hops (almost woody), strawberry syrup, mild nuttiness, and a brown sugar base. Not very strong and slightly musty, which makes it messy.
T: Tart cherries, walnuts, woody hops, fresh oak... cherry or cranberry root beer is probably a pretty good description. The bitterness lingers on kind of awkwardly with the dry tartness. It's not a total disaster.
M: Thinner with a cream soda carbonation.
O: This had the possibilities of an incidental oud bruin, but fell short. Either way, I wouldn't recommend it, based on the high probability of infection.

ne0m00re, Mar 29, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -37.7%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating noted on the bottle.

A - Pours a cloudy deep brown with reddish hues around the edges. Zero head. No lacing.

S - Tropical hoppy notes with an odd astringent smell. Very light notes of brown sugar. The (intentional?) sourness really seems to dominate, though.

T - Slightly bitter with a mild caramel characteristic. The longer I keep the beer in my mouth, the more sour it tastes. I can't imagine what I'm tasting is the intended result - think I've got a bad bottle unfortunately. I only get a hint of what I think this beer should have been with a lightly toasted malt and floral hops.

M - This one's thin. Near zero carbonation.

D - I couldn't get through my glass and had to pour it... it just wasn't enjoyable. I'm almost positive this was a bad bottle. Fortunately, there seems to be more positive reviews here than neutral/negative.

kevinv, May 09, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -36.9%

poured into tulip.

Appearance: medium brown almost a mahoganey bodied beer with a whitish/tan colored head. 1 finger of head from a moderate pour. decent lacing from this brew.

Smell: This beer smells both nutty and roasty. not much hops presence in the nose.

Taste: DAMN! Another infected shorts beer. Sour cherries up front. That definately not what this beer was intended to taste like. Surprised that this beer did not smell infected. Got a little bit of nuttiness and roast, but it dominated by sour sour cherries.

mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation.

Overall: It infected and really give this beer a fair shot. I drain poured this beer and I don't do that very often.

4DAloveofSTOUT, Jan 11, 2012

MIP229, Mar 05, 2012

dudemuskie, Mar 03, 2012

rkf1976, Apr 06, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -31%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with some red tint. There is under one finger of off white head, of which just a little bit remains throughout.

Smell: I'm getting a bit of nutty roast along with some fruit. Quite a bit of citrus hops in there as well.

Taste: The first thing I notice is a fairly tart fruity sweetness, I wasn't quite expecting that. There is also a bit of nutty roast and some hop bitterness. The fruity notes are overpowering to me.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and quite dry at the finish.

Drinkability: I'm not a huge fan of this one. I'm not sure if I got an old bottle or what, but the fruity flavor really turned me off.

oline73, Feb 11, 2011
2.61/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Had this one after a few while downtown in Ann Arbor. Pours dark cloudy brown with not much head. Smells of booze, roasted grain, piney hops, some sweet molasses. Taste is pretty harsh, and I am not sure what they were going for here. Heavy burnt booze flavor, some bitter but not balancing, molasses, roast. Mouthfeel is a lot of booze, a little syrup, with low carbonation. This one was just unpleasant for me. Not a fan.

BMMillsy, Feb 15, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

HardyA, May 28, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

marcb105, Jun 14, 2013
Photo of
2.78/5  rDev -26.3%

Appearance - Dark ruby-brown with a moderately sized creamy head.
Aroma is malty sweet, dark chocolate, roasted malts, mocha, but a a woody aroma.
Taste is not what I expected from the smell – first it is sweet and malty, but that is followed by a lot of fruit (cherries and plums) and it finishes a little tart. Only a touch of bitterness, no real hop character. Although it is a winter seasonal and I'm drinking it on April 2, so the dry-hopped character may have faded a bit.

, Apr 20, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

Thanks to wintbs379 for this bottle.

A: Pours a simplistic, but perfect, murky brown. There is very little head, but a thin khaki colored ring forms along the top of the beer. There is minimal lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is caramel malt, citrus hops, a touch of balsamic vinegar, and some dirt/earthiness. Honestly, it's not the most appealing scent.

T: This beer starts off with a nice caramel backbone, but the dirt and vinegar come through right after. Afterwards, there is a nice citrus hop profile that shines as the beer lingers on the palate. At the exact moment that this beer starts to get good , I'm bombarded with flavors of dirt and old grass. Something is a bit off. The finish is dirt and lemon.

M: Medium bodied beer. This has low carbonation, and the flavors stick to the palate as it drinks. Some of the flavors are unwanted.

O: I'm not a fan of this beer. I don't know if it's been sitting for too long, or if this is how it's supposed to taste. I have had a lot of bad luck with Shorts' beers in the past, so I'm not surprised that this is yet another flunker.

trxxpaxxs, Jan 20, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -24.9%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy chestnut color with a well=formed head; very good retention and shards of lace are left behind

Smell: Brown sugar and caramel dominate the nose; the alcohol is readily discernable as are the hops

Taste: The sweet caramel and brown sugar flavors dominate at the outset but are joined by a bitterness that verges on sour; I cannot tell if this is what the brewer intended or whether it is another example of Short's quality control problems

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with prickly carbonation and considerable warmth in the gullet

Overall: I was hoping for much more from this brew and don't think the sourness was intended

Thanks, FlandersNed, for the opportunity

brentk56, Sep 04, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -23.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
110410 on the label, no other info.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for yet another beer!

A - Good Humans pours a brilliantly red mahogany color with nice clarity and a dense caramel head. Solid retention and thick foam coats the glass.

S - Willamet hops immediately push forwards with an aggressive earthy tone of mulch and soil. Deep amber malts exude some toast qualities and provide a good backbone. Earthy to the max.

T - The biting hop profile completely overwhelms the malt to the point of it being thin. Toast on the finish, but the taste is almost completely earthy hop. There is a touch of what tastes like a sour infection but it plays out more in the mouthfeel.

M - Thin, light-bodied, and under-carbonated, there is a dry bitterness from the hops but it's more of a dry, almost lactobacillus-like sourness that seems to be taking a hold of the brew. (No, I'm not just assuming this because of Short's past problems.)

O - Honestly, this beer isn't awful, I just find it lightly offensive between the over-the-top hop profile that's not balanced very well. Also, I'm not sure if the date is a production or best before (although the hops haven't faded it seems) but there seems to be some sort of bug in it. Lastly, the label calls it a double but there's no alcohol anywhere. Then again Short's excels at covering up alcohol levels.

BeerFMAndy, Mar 20, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -23.1%

Bottle date of 1/9/12 poured in to Founders tulip.

A - Slightly hazy medium amber colour with plenty of orange glow around the edges. One finger of cream coloured head.

S - Big nutty aroma up front with a hint of chocolate and some caramel. Some bitterness is apparent but only a faint floral hop aroma is present.

T - A huge bitterness up front with some floral and grassy flavours. The brown ale characteristics take the back seat here but are still very present, providing roasted nut, caramel and bready flavours. An interesting beer but something is just off and not coming together for me here.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation.

TheSevenDuffs, Mar 16, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -23.1%

Brown Ale is my favorite style and Short's Bellaire Brown is my favorite brown so I've been eagerly anticipating this year's release of Good Humans. The label describes this as a dry hopped double brown ale, so I'm expecting something along the lines of DFH Indian Brown (another favorite). This 12 ounce bottle (dated 11/22/10) was poured into a pint glass. The pour yields about half a finger of foamy tan head. Retention is not fantastic but the spotty lacing is nice. The brew is a deep walnut shade and is quite hazy. Very little carbonation is visible.

Holy hop-head Batman! The first whiff of this beer gives off a ton of hops. I don't know if Short's has a go-to house hop, but this aroma is very similar in character to that of Short's Huma Lupa Licious and The Liberator (Their IPA and DIPA respectively). The hops are both floral and sweet citrus. Beneath the hops is an aromatic brown ale in its own right. Carmalized malts are noted on the nose. There is a faint scent of alcohol.

Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about this flavor. This is a hop-forward beer, but not overwhelmingly so. It's not beating me over the head with bitterness or anything. The initial flavor is an orange-like citrus combined with fresh garden vegetables (think snap peas in the pod). It is sweeter than any Short's IPA or brown ale that I've tasted. The brown characters are somewhat subtle. The earthiness and caramel malt is noted but I really have to concentrate to pick it up. There is a decent alcohol bite but it doesn't overwhelm. The finish is peas and cabbage. It's very strange and unexpected to say the least.

Good humans feels fairly light in the mouth. The bottle doesn't indicate the alcohol content but you get that moderately high alcohol feeling on the tongue and in the throat as it goes down. Carbonation is minimal. As the flavor is just bizarre, and the mouthfeel somewhat underperforms I'm not finding this beer to be all that drinkable. Again, there is no indication of the alcohol content but based on the taste and feel and the fact that it's marketed as a double, I'm going to assume it's +/-8%. Even if I was digging this I don't think I'd be able to drink many of them back to back.

Ultimately, this is just a disappointment; and not just because it's not what I expected. It's just a weird beer on its own merits: a strange marriage of styles that yields few of the positive characteristics of either style.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale™: (See my profile for an explanation)
Frankly dear, I don't give a Schlitz about Good Humans.

weizenbob, Jan 13, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -21%

A - I poured a bottle of this into a pint glass. Great looking beer. Nice dark-but-not-too-dark brown color with a nice foamy head. A great pour. Looks like a perfect brown.

S - The dry hops overwhelm the smell I think. You can smell just a touch of nuttiness but mostly it's the hops. I did not find this to be a bad thing but I always love dry-hopping my own beer.

T - This is a good beer. You get the hop aromas but in drinking Good Humans, you get that nice crisp brown ale taste and a little fruit as well.

M - This is where the beer goes awry. I thought that for a beer that tastes like it's on the lighter side of things, the mouth feels too coated after drinking this. I had to down a glass of water to feel normal again.

D - It's a good beer, but I'd only have one on account of the aforementioned stickiness I experienced upon finishing.

Gigantis, Feb 09, 2011