Good Humans - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: webmanspidey on 12-20-2009

Ratings: 490 | Reviews: 178
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Appearance: clear brown, lacy head

Smell: citrus hops, nutty

Taste: Hard hitting caramel malt with nut and raisin flavors dominating. Good level of bitterness but citrus smell not appreciated in the taste. Tastes like fermented raisins mixed with brown sugar and walnuts - not my favorite beer.

Feel - appropriately carbonated, hard for me to get over the taste

2.23/5  rDev -41%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

A vigorous pour produces a trace amount khaki colored head on a murky ruby brown body.

Aroma has very little hop presence or typical brown ale flavors. Slightly sour with dark fruit and mild solvent.

I'm guessing this is infected as the flavor is immediately artificially sweet, like orange and strawberry Starburst and finishes with an astringent sourness. Under that mess there is some nutty malt flavors, but still no hops. The more i drink, the less sure I'm that this is infected, but regardless I'm not enjoying this and will pour out the rest of the glass. Oh well.

2.3/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Live review of a 12 oz bottle.

Infected.

A: A nice clear mahogany with a one-finger creamy head that sticks.
S: Plums and cranberry juice, very earthy hops (almost woody), strawberry syrup, mild nuttiness, and a brown sugar base. Not very strong and slightly musty, which makes it messy.
T: Tart cherries, walnuts, woody hops, fresh oak... cherry or cranberry root beer is probably a pretty good description. The bitterness lingers on kind of awkwardly with the dry tartness. It's not a total disaster.
M: Thinner with a cream soda carbonation.
O: This had the possibilities of an incidental oud bruin, but fell short. Either way, I wouldn't recommend it, based on the high probability of infection.

2.35/5  rDev -37.8%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating noted on the bottle.

A - Pours a cloudy deep brown with reddish hues around the edges. Zero head. No lacing.

S - Tropical hoppy notes with an odd astringent smell. Very light notes of brown sugar. The (intentional?) sourness really seems to dominate, though.

T - Slightly bitter with a mild caramel characteristic. The longer I keep the beer in my mouth, the more sour it tastes. I can't imagine what I'm tasting is the intended result - think I've got a bad bottle unfortunately. I only get a hint of what I think this beer should have been with a lightly toasted malt and floral hops.

M - This one's thin. Near zero carbonation.

D - I couldn't get through my glass and had to pour it... it just wasn't enjoyable. I'm almost positive this was a bad bottle. Fortunately, there seems to be more positive reviews here than neutral/negative.

2.48/5  rDev -34.4%

poured into tulip.

Appearance: medium brown almost a mahoganey bodied beer with a whitish/tan colored head. 1 finger of head from a moderate pour. decent lacing from this brew.

Smell: This beer smells both nutty and roasty. not much hops presence in the nose.

Taste: DAMN! Another infected shorts beer. Sour cherries up front. That definately not what this beer was intended to taste like. Surprised that this beer did not smell infected. Got a little bit of nuttiness and roast, but it dominated by sour sour cherries.

mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation.

Overall: It infected and really give this beer a fair shot. I drain poured this beer and I don't do that very often.

2.65/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Had this one after a few while downtown in Ann Arbor. Pours dark cloudy brown with not much head. Smells of booze, roasted grain, piney hops, some sweet molasses. Taste is pretty harsh, and I am not sure what they were going for here. Heavy burnt booze flavor, some bitter but not balancing, molasses, roast. Mouthfeel is a lot of booze, a little syrup, with low carbonation. This one was just unpleasant for me. Not a fan.

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with some red tint. There is under one finger of off white head, of which just a little bit remains throughout.

Smell: I'm getting a bit of nutty roast along with some fruit. Quite a bit of citrus hops in there as well.

Taste: The first thing I notice is a fairly tart fruity sweetness, I wasn't quite expecting that. There is also a bit of nutty roast and some hop bitterness. The fruity notes are overpowering to me.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and quite dry at the finish.

Drinkability: I'm not a huge fan of this one. I'm not sure if I got an old bottle or what, but the fruity flavor really turned me off.

Photo of
2.8/5  rDev -25.9%

Appearance - Dark ruby-brown with a moderately sized creamy head.
Aroma is malty sweet, dark chocolate, roasted malts, mocha, but a a woody aroma.
Taste is not what I expected from the smell – first it is sweet and malty, but that is followed by a lot of fruit (cherries and plums) and it finishes a little tart. Only a touch of bitterness, no real hop character. Although it is a winter seasonal and I'm drinking it on April 2, so the dry-hopped character may have faded a bit.

2.83/5  rDev -25.1%

Thanks to wintbs379 for this bottle.

A: Pours a simplistic, but perfect, murky brown. There is very little head, but a thin khaki colored ring forms along the top of the beer. There is minimal lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is caramel malt, citrus hops, a touch of balsamic vinegar, and some dirt/earthiness. Honestly, it's not the most appealing scent.

T: This beer starts off with a nice caramel backbone, but the dirt and vinegar come through right after. Afterwards, there is a nice citrus hop profile that shines as the beer lingers on the palate. At the exact moment that this beer starts to get good , I'm bombarded with flavors of dirt and old grass. Something is a bit off. The finish is dirt and lemon.

M: Medium bodied beer. This has low carbonation, and the flavors stick to the palate as it drinks. Some of the flavors are unwanted.

O: I'm not a fan of this beer. I don't know if it's been sitting for too long, or if this is how it's supposed to taste. I have had a lot of bad luck with Shorts' beers in the past, so I'm not surprised that this is yet another flunker.

2.88/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy chestnut color with a well=formed head; very good retention and shards of lace are left behind

Smell: Brown sugar and caramel dominate the nose; the alcohol is readily discernable as are the hops

Taste: The sweet caramel and brown sugar flavors dominate at the outset but are joined by a bitterness that verges on sour; I cannot tell if this is what the brewer intended or whether it is another example of Short's quality control problems

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with prickly carbonation and considerable warmth in the gullet

Overall: I was hoping for much more from this brew and don't think the sourness was intended

Thanks, FlandersNed, for the opportunity

2.93/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours the color and thickness (or thin) of black plain coffe. Head dissipates quick. Smells hoppy. Tastes hoppy for a brown ale, but I think it was supposed to. Overall a decent beer but nothing I would go out of my way for.

2.94/5  rDev -22.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
110410 on the label, no other info.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for yet another beer!

A - Good Humans pours a brilliantly red mahogany color with nice clarity and a dense caramel head. Solid retention and thick foam coats the glass.

S - Willamet hops immediately push forwards with an aggressive earthy tone of mulch and soil. Deep amber malts exude some toast qualities and provide a good backbone. Earthy to the max.

T - The biting hop profile completely overwhelms the malt to the point of it being thin. Toast on the finish, but the taste is almost completely earthy hop. There is a touch of what tastes like a sour infection but it plays out more in the mouthfeel.

M - Thin, light-bodied, and under-carbonated, there is a dry bitterness from the hops but it's more of a dry, almost lactobacillus-like sourness that seems to be taking a hold of the brew. (No, I'm not just assuming this because of Short's past problems.)

O - Honestly, this beer isn't awful, I just find it lightly offensive between the over-the-top hop profile that's not balanced very well. Also, I'm not sure if the date is a production or best before (although the hops haven't faded it seems) but there seems to be some sort of bug in it. Lastly, the label calls it a double but there's no alcohol anywhere. Then again Short's excels at covering up alcohol levels.

2.95/5  rDev -22%

Bottle date of 1/9/12 poured in to Founders tulip.

A - Slightly hazy medium amber colour with plenty of orange glow around the edges. One finger of cream coloured head.

S - Big nutty aroma up front with a hint of chocolate and some caramel. Some bitterness is apparent but only a faint floral hop aroma is present.

T - A huge bitterness up front with some floral and grassy flavours. The brown ale characteristics take the back seat here but are still very present, providing roasted nut, caramel and bready flavours. An interesting beer but something is just off and not coming together for me here.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation.

2.97/5  rDev -21.4%

Brown Ale is my favorite style and Short's Bellaire Brown is my favorite brown so I've been eagerly anticipating this year's release of Good Humans. The label describes this as a dry hopped double brown ale, so I'm expecting something along the lines of DFH Indian Brown (another favorite). This 12 ounce bottle (dated 11/22/10) was poured into a pint glass. The pour yields about half a finger of foamy tan head. Retention is not fantastic but the spotty lacing is nice. The brew is a deep walnut shade and is quite hazy. Very little carbonation is visible.

Holy hop-head Batman! The first whiff of this beer gives off a ton of hops. I don't know if Short's has a go-to house hop, but this aroma is very similar in character to that of Short's Huma Lupa Licious and The Liberator (Their IPA and DIPA respectively). The hops are both floral and sweet citrus. Beneath the hops is an aromatic brown ale in its own right. Carmalized malts are noted on the nose. There is a faint scent of alcohol.

Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about this flavor. This is a hop-forward beer, but not overwhelmingly so. It's not beating me over the head with bitterness or anything. The initial flavor is an orange-like citrus combined with fresh garden vegetables (think snap peas in the pod). It is sweeter than any Short's IPA or brown ale that I've tasted. The brown characters are somewhat subtle. The earthiness and caramel malt is noted but I really have to concentrate to pick it up. There is a decent alcohol bite but it doesn't overwhelm. The finish is peas and cabbage. It's very strange and unexpected to say the least.

Good humans feels fairly light in the mouth. The bottle doesn't indicate the alcohol content but you get that moderately high alcohol feeling on the tongue and in the throat as it goes down. Carbonation is minimal. As the flavor is just bizarre, and the mouthfeel somewhat underperforms I'm not finding this beer to be all that drinkable. Again, there is no indication of the alcohol content but based on the taste and feel and the fact that it's marketed as a double, I'm going to assume it's +/-8%. Even if I was digging this I don't think I'd be able to drink many of them back to back.

Ultimately, this is just a disappointment; and not just because it's not what I expected. It's just a weird beer on its own merits: a strange marriage of styles that yields few of the positive characteristics of either style.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale™: (See my profile for an explanation)
Frankly dear, I don't give a Schlitz about Good Humans.

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

A - I poured a bottle of this into a pint glass. Great looking beer. Nice dark-but-not-too-dark brown color with a nice foamy head. A great pour. Looks like a perfect brown.

S - The dry hops overwhelm the smell I think. You can smell just a touch of nuttiness but mostly it's the hops. I did not find this to be a bad thing but I always love dry-hopping my own beer.

T - This is a good beer. You get the hop aromas but in drinking Good Humans, you get that nice crisp brown ale taste and a little fruit as well.

M - This is where the beer goes awry. I thought that for a beer that tastes like it's on the lighter side of things, the mouth feels too coated after drinking this. I had to down a glass of water to feel normal again.

D - It's a good beer, but I'd only have one on account of the aforementioned stickiness I experienced upon finishing.

3.05/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Mad Fox glass. It poured a deep mahogany brown color with a big and fluffy off white head to it. The head settled a bit, but overall had some pretty good retention. Some very nice lacing as i drank it as well.

The aroma shows a pretty hoppy, pine and grapefruit citrus flavor along with some underlying malty, caramel, brown ale characteristics. The flavors all come together pretty nicely actually, and both hoppy and malty get a chance to shine.

The taste starts off with some of the brown ale, malty flavors. It really takes a sharp turn pretty quickly though. I get a sugary sweet, but yet also a tart fruitiness that just doesn't seem to fit at all. It's kind of a similar flavor I got in many Short's beers. In the finish some of the hoppy, grapefruit like flavors come through along with a moderate, lingering, herbal bitterness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability was below average for me, the hoppiness was nice but that sugary sweet, tart fruity flavor hurt the beer overall for me. It just didn't seem to fit the beer style at all. As I said it seems like a flavor I get out of a lot of Short's beers. Not a terrible beer overall but not a great one either.

3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

Another beer made possible by hoppymeal, thanks buddy.

The beer pours, finally a normal pour from a Short's beer, a chestnut color with red overtones and a thin half inch of foam. A think layer of foam sustains itself till the finish and a swirl brings back the half inch layer of foam.

Roasted aroma initially, nutty, mild coffee, and then an almost citrus-like hop aroma in the background but it turns more into a spicy profile. Caramel, tootsie roll candy, milk chocolate, and coco comes through on the second approach. Interesting aroma but the hops seem to clash with the beer at first before the milk chocolate and caramel take over. Later on there is some brown sugar and hints of dried fruits.

Quite hoppy upfront, earthy, slightly spicy, then the roasted malts come through but it's a bit too dry and roasted, not enough malt sweetness to balance out the flavors. A bit of alcohol comes through and is a bit displeasing when combined with the bitterness and then the roasted flavors come through. Notes of bitter chocolate, coco, and a touch of caramel near the finish but with a confusing bitter ending. A little more floral and spicy from the hops on the following sips. The flavor is a bit too muddled at first and it's hard to pick it apart, while the aftertaste is a little more pleasurable.

Carbonation is low-moderate, fairly smooth on the palate with a touch of residual sweetness and some heaviness in the end. Interesting concept of a dry hopped double brown but there are a few conflicting flavors at the beginning. After half of the bottle the finish gets a little rough and more alcoholic...wasn't that impressed by this one.

3.16/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Dark brown pour - ruby red where the light passes through on the edges - with a thin, soapy head. Aroma of brown sugar, chocolate and even a little bourbon. Tastes like brown bread with raisins, very light coffee roast & bitterness. Warm, fairly boozy finish. Pretty good for a brown ale, but brown ales aren't really the greatest to begin with.

3.16/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle. Pours a fairly carbonated light brown color with a slighlty tan head. Notty, fruity, hoppy notes abound in the nose. Nice medium mouthfeel. Nice balance of hops and malt. Not super awesome but a nice twist on a brown ale with the addition of the added hops. Good lace.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

This beer was just okay for me. I was really excited because it was a style I had never seen before and I love me some hops. It tasted like a beer a friend made using cheap equipment. You know the kind, you can taste the potential but the way it was brewed leaves it lacking. Not bad by any means, just not something I'd look for really hard.

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

12 oz. Your standard brown pour, very little off white head, just a few surface blobs.

Very herbal aroma, hops and tobacco. Some malt in there. More resiny hop.

Taste is tart cherry and some citrus. Malt is there, barely, with some peat and tobacco. The tart is weird. Herbal grass and hop finish.

Lively mouthfeel, maybe too much. Easy lighter body, but it just isn't easy to drink because of the tart.

Maybe this would have been better in the warmer summer months...will need to revisit.

A really odd brown ale, and yet another Shorts brew with a tart/sourness. Makes me wonder if this is really what they are intending. I know they had some infections issues, but across different brews still? The experimentations maybe starting to hinder at this point.

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

Another extra bottle received from readbaron recently. Thanks!

12oz bottle poured into a chalice. Pours a dirty amber-brown with no head at all. Just a ring sits rests along the edge. This leaves some light lace behind. The nose is surprisingly citrusy. Big notes orange, pineapple, then the malts come through more with some brown sugar and faint breads. This smells like a standard Pale.

The mouth is light and carbonated well. This helps in drinkability quite. The flavors are different from standard Browns I've had. The citrus aspect carries over here as well, with flavors of lemon, orange and mild bitterness from the hops. The usual Brown characteristics are fleeting, if not absent. Some mild malty sweetness on the back end. This was a different take. I guess the more I have from these guys, the more I learn that they like to push the envelope a bit on the styles and ingredients. I'd have it again, I guess, but not when I'm looking for a Brown Ale.

3.21/5  rDev -15.1%

Surprisingly bitter for only 19 ibu

3.24/5  rDev -14.3%

appearance - pours a raisin brown, sticky retention

smell - roasted malts and nuttiness

taste - a stark nutty taste, roasty malts, some bitterness in the finish

mouthfeel - a bit on the light side, seems imbalanced with the level of carbonation

drinkability - has a very unique flavor profile but inconsistencies that bring out the flaws in the beer...or maybe intentional qualities

3.27/5  rDev -13.5%

Thanks to hurfer for the extra. Poured from 12oz bottle (no date) into a snifter glass. Pours a reddish brown, deeper copper with decent haze, a decent sized khaki head that settles to a film that laces a bit. Aromas are brown malts and nut, toffee and tobbacco, some vanilla, faint cocoa, soapy grapefruit hops and floral come in, with a bit of rind and grass. Toasty bread and caramel mixes with a good hopping. Initial is well hopped up front, bitter and floral with a touch of soap moves into caramel and toffee, biscuits and toasty bread, tobbacco, brown malts, earthy hops mix with grapefruit and tougher florals on the backend, providing a nice contrast from sticky sweet malts and stronger hops with good acidics. Medium bodied, a firm bitterness counters the sweeter malts of cocoa and caramel. Finish is nutty, floral, and pine with mellow sweetness having final say on the tounge, and bitterness going down the throat. Tasty, a nice beer overall and I'm probably not quite giving it enough credit. Glad to have tried this one. A strong brown ale for the style and an interesting beer from a small local brewery.

Good Humans from Short's Brewing Company