Good Humans - Short's Brewing Company

Good HumansGood Humans

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: webmanspidey on 12-20-2009)
33nickadams

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

The appearance is dark brown and is slightly translucent. It's got a great color to it, especially since I usually drink beers that are either much lighter in color, or much darker. When poured, it gave about a finger of sticky head. The smell is still very nutty, and even though it says it is dry-hopped, I detect very little citrus on the nose. I do sense smells of butter and strawberry. Very interesting. Nice bready malts are the base here along with some nutty notes in the background. A small amount of alcohol is picked up at the end of the sip. Mouthfeel is medium and nicely carbonated. It does leave the mouth a little dry like an IPA would.
I am liking brown ales more and more. I really do think its an underrated style and can be done in many different varieties. I like the fact that this is a double brown ale and that its dry-hopped. I'd like to see more breweries stretching the boundaries of the classic styles.

12-21-2011 01:56:40 | More by 33nickadams

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

11-14-2011 13:48:59 | More by shuajw
brentk56

2.83/5  rDev -24.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy chestnut color with a well=formed head; very good retention and shards of lace are left behind

Smell: Brown sugar and caramel dominate the nose; the alcohol is readily discernable as are the hops

Taste: The sweet caramel and brown sugar flavors dominate at the outset but are joined by a bitterness that verges on sour; I cannot tell if this is what the brewer intended or whether it is another example of Short's quality control problems

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with prickly carbonation and considerable warmth in the gullet

Overall: I was hoping for much more from this brew and don't think the sourness was intended

Thanks, FlandersNed, for the opportunity

09-04-2011 18:28:58 | More by brentk56
sendsilk

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

This is one of several Shorts beers I have been reviewing thanks to Scoot 1969, thanks again Scott. He loves sending me this off center stuff.

A- Dark and murky, less than impressive

S- This throws me off. I am learning what kind of weird scents and flavors to expect with Shorts. This smells like a funky, hoppy tart brown ale. I'm only calling it a brown ale because it is totally brown.

T- Tart, funky, shorts brew. The hops aren't as prevalent as I anticipated. I actually really DIG this beer. This is probably my favorite tasting beer from Shorts, Uber Goober a close second.

M- A little lighter than the color would lead you to believe. Pretty nice.

O- This looked like it would be a total 'try it once and never think about it again' beer, but I was pleasantly surprised!

08-19-2011 04:05:05 | More by sendsilk
Brez07

Maine

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%

Reviewing from notes. 12oz bottle poured into a mini snifter

A: Caramel colored with some amber highlights. Thin layer of white head with limited retention and no lacing

S: Dark malt, roasted malt, burnt caramel, bitter hops (faded)

T: Bitter hops mixed with light bread malt. Has an earthy flavor to it. Touch of brown sugar sweetness

M: Light to medium bodied. Wish this was a bit more full. Slightly dry finish with the hops

D: Easy drinking. Bigger hop presence was a nice addition to a rather standard brown. Try it

07-18-2011 20:55:25 | More by Brez07
Franz4

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- poured with a solid 2 finger tan head, color is dark brown, almost opaque.

S- scent is toffee and toasty, just the slightest hint of a cappucinno like presence as well.

T- it has a nutty flavor, hazelnut, I think that's what I was picking up in the nose. Really drinks quite well, only a very slight hop bitterness that's well disguised by this malt-dominant brew.

M- This really shocked me, it's drinking very smooth. Carbonation is present in just the right amount, it makes this go down real easy.

O- I really enjoyed this one, it brought something different to the style that in my opinion, improved upon it. Nice work Shorts.

07-15-2011 01:41:53 | More by Franz4
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Taken from notes on 4.20.11

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Deep medium brown in color with a tan head. Good retention.

S - Malts, wheat, barley.

T - Lemon sour, malts, nuts, hops.

D - Good carbonation.

O - Very interesting. It is a nice hoppy sour ale.

06-02-2011 08:43:51 | More by HuskyinPDX
Lunch

Maryland

4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

12oz. bottle poured into a 16oz. Old Rasputin nonic pint glass.

I'm gonna start out by saying that this is a Short's beer that I really enjoyed.

Pours a medium brown with a decent size tan head that leaves some lacing. Smell is really nice with a good mix of traditional brown ale elements along with citrus and piney hops. Taste is exactly what you would look for in a hoppy brown ale. Hops are well integrated with the roasted malt. Feel is slightly creamy with a fuller medium body.

Very well done beer, but reading other reviews it appears that Short's quality control continues to be an issue with this beer as well. Very unique brewery, but very disappointing and unprofessional considering that scale and scope of their infection issues.

05-17-2011 21:59:25 | More by Lunch
flipper2gv

Quebec (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to rtepiak for this weird bottle!

A: Perfectly translucent dark brown color. Beige head, creamy looking. Retention is very good as well as lacing.

S: First thing you notice is the dry hopping. There is some very nice hops that gives nice tropical fruits like mango and pineapple. Light grapefruit and clementines juice with lemon peel. The brown ale base is quite strong too, there is nice amount of toffee, molasses, maple syrup and vanilla. It's an american brown ale in the same sense that the new american black ales. Hop forward but solid malt foundation. Great!

T: Sweet mango and pineapple juice all the way. Very good, juicy and tropical. Again, there are clementines and red grapefruit with some lemon peel. The hopping is much much better than "the liberator" (that bottle might have been a little "too" fresh though). Good with the brown ale base with the (again) molasses, nuts, maple syrup and vanilla. The fruitiness of the beer combined with the brown ale elements create a kind of earthy sourness which is nice.

M: Medium to heavy body with stickiness. Carbonation is also medium. Kind of soda like. Correct

O: This was surprisingly very good. I didn't expect much after the other brew from this brewery I had before. The brown ale elements and the strong dry hopping mixed much better than anticipated.

O:

05-10-2011 18:06:41 | More by flipper2gv
kevinv

2.35/5  rDev -37.5%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating noted on the bottle.

A - Pours a cloudy deep brown with reddish hues around the edges. Zero head. No lacing.

S - Tropical hoppy notes with an odd astringent smell. Very light notes of brown sugar. The (intentional?) sourness really seems to dominate, though.

T - Slightly bitter with a mild caramel characteristic. The longer I keep the beer in my mouth, the more sour it tastes. I can't imagine what I'm tasting is the intended result - think I've got a bad bottle unfortunately. I only get a hint of what I think this beer should have been with a lightly toasted malt and floral hops.

M - This one's thin. Near zero carbonation.

D - I couldn't get through my glass and had to pour it... it just wasn't enjoyable. I'm almost positive this was a bad bottle. Fortunately, there seems to be more positive reviews here than neutral/negative.

05-09-2011 21:44:42 | More by kevinv
Arbitrator

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. From a trade with semibaked. Thanks!

A: Pours a maroon body with some edge translucence. Beige head. Retention is poor; no lace. But there is a pretty nice ring on the edge of the beer.

S: Mango! Wow. This is like those mango hard candies I eat from time to time. Floral and citrusy, with elements like pineapple emerging as well. I'm guessing this is the dry-hopping at work. I rarely get mango notes from beers, and this immediately impresses me. There is a strong nuttiness that reminds me of toasted hazelnuts.

T: I have to go back to those mango hard candies. The beer has an unmistakable mango sweetness, pineapple, and of course, grapefruit. What was this dry-hopped with? I love it. The base brown contributes a mild caramel sweetness, but it is more noticeable in the beer's finish, which pulls out distinct tannic, nutty flavors. The beer isn't very bitter; there's a slight roastiness that is as far as it gets. It's obviously malty, though not sweet. I find the nutty flavors build up TOO much as the beer warms, but not in palate-ruining ways. It's just a minor flaw.

M: Medium-bodied, with medium carbonation. Great use of malty flavors here without too much residual sugar. The dry-hopping is a nice touch; it overrides the flavors of the base beer at times, but the hop bill seems to complement the malt profile. An unusual combination that I would not have expected to work. My main complaint is that whatever nutty malts were used here are overrepresented in the finish, leaving a lingering aftertaste that I don't care for.

O: Oddly, I've been more impressed with the 'regular' beers from Short's than their oddball, dessert beers. This is a prime example. Get this fresh and enjoy. Only Short's hit-and-miss QC make me reluctant to give this a stronger recommendation.

05-02-2011 04:01:55 | More by Arbitrator