Good Humans - Short's Brewing Company

Good HumansGood Humans

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: webmanspidey on 12-20-2009)
2.98/5  rDev -21%

A - I poured a bottle of this into a pint glass. Great looking beer. Nice dark-but-not-too-dark brown color with a nice foamy head. A great pour. Looks like a perfect brown.

S - The dry hops overwhelm the smell I think. You can smell just a touch of nuttiness but mostly it's the hops. I did not find this to be a bad thing but I always love dry-hopping my own beer.

T - This is a good beer. You get the hop aromas but in drinking Good Humans, you get that nice crisp brown ale taste and a little fruit as well.

M - This is where the beer goes awry. I thought that for a beer that tastes like it's on the lighter side of things, the mouth feels too coated after drinking this. I had to down a glass of water to feel normal again.

D - It's a good beer, but I'd only have one on account of the aforementioned stickiness I experienced upon finishing.

Gigantis, Feb 09, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured into tumbler pint.

A- Lovely amber brown color, small, tan white head, with nice, medium lacing.

S- Nice, forward citrusy hop bouquet, with sweet, malty overtones.

T- A delicious synergy of sweet, malty, and hoppy flavors leap into the palate. The hops shine through nice in the finish and aftertaste, as well, with a grapefruit-esque flavor coming through (reminds me of fruit ring cereal, in some sense).

M- Smooth, creamy, and pleasantly carbonated with a mild-medium body.

D- I find this one very drinkable, and would gladly several more.

To my mind, an excellent brew. Its a wonderful marriage of IPA and brown ale elements which i enjoy immensely. This pairing really seems like a great beer for hopheads and lovers of brown ales alike, as it offers a nice palate of both worlds. I recently gave one of these to a good friend who usually tends towards macro pilsners, and he loved it. I look forward buying another 6-pack before its next brewing :)

B0bD0bbselbock, Feb 07, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a brownish color with a fairly large foamy off white head. Head has pretty good retention and leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Smells of wet grass, flowery, toasted nuts, and a nice load of tropical fruits.

T- Taste is a bit of fruitiness - grapes, pears, and melon, a bit of a woody flavour and a really strong earthy nutty flavour.

M- Carbonatoin seems to be right on and the body seems to be a bit on the lighter side.

D- Not quite sure how much I'd seek this one out again.

nrbw23, Feb 05, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -41.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

A vigorous pour produces a trace amount khaki colored head on a murky ruby brown body.

Aroma has very little hop presence or typical brown ale flavors. Slightly sour with dark fruit and mild solvent.

I'm guessing this is infected as the flavor is immediately artificially sweet, like orange and strawberry Starburst and finishes with an astringent sourness. Under that mess there is some nutty malt flavors, but still no hops. The more i drink, the less sure I'm that this is infected, but regardless I'm not enjoying this and will pour out the rest of the glass. Oh well.

yourefragile, Feb 04, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks much to gnemesis for this brew (and the heads up of the possible infection). I dunno...infected...or just supposed to be a sour brown ale.

A - Poured a nutmeg shiny brown with a thin head into my oversized snifter. Shiny and inviting.

S - Spicey, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, sweet tart....more sour than a brown ale. Interesting. Different. Brown ale? Really?

T - Sour sweet tarts. Way more like a sour than a brown ale. Possibly an infected bottle (as told by my source)? Really sour, almost biting but interesting in a weird way.

M/D - Almost like drinking sour candy. I received a BM from gnemesis who traded this my way saying it might be infected. After reading some other recent reviews, seems like maybe a bad batch hit shelves? They don't seem to jive with all the other reviews. If I get another chance to taste this (have another bottle, but it is likely the same batch) I will adjust my review accordingly.

cosmicevan, Feb 02, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Walnut brown, with a ruby tin in the edges of the glass. A creamy head with an eggshell hue forms initially, eventually fading to a ring and leaving a little lacing on the glass.

Smell: Not really getting any dry hopped aroma. Roast malt, some molasses, and dark fruits - fig and raisin mostly, but a very modest aroma.

Taste: Molasses, plums and figs up front, followed by some roasted malt and soft nutty flavors. There is a light citrus and spice kick at the end, but there is just not much hop presence here.

Mouthfeel: Good Humans is lightly sticky but mostly clean. Medium carbonation and a medium body.

Drinkability: I was expecting a dry-hopped brown ale, and I got mild dark fruit and much hop presence. Maybe this was just a bad bottle based on the other reviews, but there was almost no hop presence.

KickInTheChalice, Jan 31, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Another extra bottle received from readbaron recently. Thanks!

12oz bottle poured into a chalice. Pours a dirty amber-brown with no head at all. Just a ring sits rests along the edge. This leaves some light lace behind. The nose is surprisingly citrusy. Big notes orange, pineapple, then the malts come through more with some brown sugar and faint breads. This smells like a standard Pale.

The mouth is light and carbonated well. This helps in drinkability quite. The flavors are different from standard Browns I've had. The citrus aspect carries over here as well, with flavors of lemon, orange and mild bitterness from the hops. The usual Brown characteristics are fleeting, if not absent. Some mild malty sweetness on the back end. This was a different take. I guess the more I have from these guys, the more I learn that they like to push the envelope a bit on the styles and ingredients. I'd have it again, I guess, but not when I'm looking for a Brown Ale.

Onenote81, Jan 31, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Thanks to Urbancaver for getting this for me.

A - It pours a dirty rusty orange color to fill out to a dark brown. The body is quite transparent, and lets some red light through. Theres a bit of small, off-white head in it too.

S - It's funny, the way it smells so hoppy. It claims that, of course, but it's still a funny thing. The citrusy hops are the first thing you get, then you smell some roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee. Interesting, but I think of this style as more malt-heavy.

T - It starts with a funny light sweetness, and then you get some mildly bitter hops throughout, which are made to tasty dirty by the roasted character of the malts. I don't think this is very much like a brown ale, and I don't know how I would categorize it. I guess it's unique, but not necessarily in a good way.

M - Unbelievably light mouthfeel. If I couldn't taste it, I wouldn't know it was there. I guess that's not bad.

D - despite all the weird stuff about this beer, from the out-of-place hops, to the empty mouthfeel, to the funky sweetness, I think it is pretty drinkable. It's odd, but it's not offensive.

ColdPoncho, Jan 24, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was a very nice dark brown color with a creamy head.

Smell was a ton of hops. I know they said dry hopped but this was way more than I was expecting (in a good way).

Taste was very good. Started out very sweet and malty then changed to the bitterness of the hops with a great balance on the finish.

Mouthfeel was a little bigger than I prefer, especially for a brown but because of the nice balance you could easily drink more than one or two.

Lillenk, Jan 22, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

A_Dark brown with a half inch khaki colored head. Good retention and thick lace.

S_Grapefruit,,hops,vanilla and brown sugar.

T_Same as nose. Pine and citrus hops upfront then make way to smooth vanilla,brown sugar,and molasses.Very solid imperial brown with a good kick from hop addition.

M_Medium bodied,moderate carbonation,smooth and creamy.

D_Very drinkable.

nickadams2, Jan 15, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -23.1%

Brown Ale is my favorite style and Short's Bellaire Brown is my favorite brown so I've been eagerly anticipating this year's release of Good Humans. The label describes this as a dry hopped double brown ale, so I'm expecting something along the lines of DFH Indian Brown (another favorite). This 12 ounce bottle (dated 11/22/10) was poured into a pint glass. The pour yields about half a finger of foamy tan head. Retention is not fantastic but the spotty lacing is nice. The brew is a deep walnut shade and is quite hazy. Very little carbonation is visible.

Holy hop-head Batman! The first whiff of this beer gives off a ton of hops. I don't know if Short's has a go-to house hop, but this aroma is very similar in character to that of Short's Huma Lupa Licious and The Liberator (Their IPA and DIPA respectively). The hops are both floral and sweet citrus. Beneath the hops is an aromatic brown ale in its own right. Carmalized malts are noted on the nose. There is a faint scent of alcohol.

Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about this flavor. This is a hop-forward beer, but not overwhelmingly so. It's not beating me over the head with bitterness or anything. The initial flavor is an orange-like citrus combined with fresh garden vegetables (think snap peas in the pod). It is sweeter than any Short's IPA or brown ale that I've tasted. The brown characters are somewhat subtle. The earthiness and caramel malt is noted but I really have to concentrate to pick it up. There is a decent alcohol bite but it doesn't overwhelm. The finish is peas and cabbage. It's very strange and unexpected to say the least.

Good humans feels fairly light in the mouth. The bottle doesn't indicate the alcohol content but you get that moderately high alcohol feeling on the tongue and in the throat as it goes down. Carbonation is minimal. As the flavor is just bizarre, and the mouthfeel somewhat underperforms I'm not finding this beer to be all that drinkable. Again, there is no indication of the alcohol content but based on the taste and feel and the fact that it's marketed as a double, I'm going to assume it's +/-8%. Even if I was digging this I don't think I'd be able to drink many of them back to back.

Ultimately, this is just a disappointment; and not just because it's not what I expected. It's just a weird beer on its own merits: a strange marriage of styles that yields few of the positive characteristics of either style.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale™: (See my profile for an explanation)
Frankly dear, I don't give a Schlitz about Good Humans.

weizenbob, Jan 13, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Bottle courtesy of Erik, thanks! Poured into New Belgium globe, dark opaque brown with light tan one finger head that fades to a cap with some lacing. Smells sweet and resinous, roasted malts, some tobacco and hints of sour notes, slightly hoppy. Taste is interesting - a fruity sourness up front, slightly roasted malt, some coffee flavors, hazelnut finish. No alcohol Medium bodied and medium carbonation. Good drinkability for for a double brown, would be interesting to find out what the abv is.

nkersten, Jan 13, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

12 oz. Your standard brown pour, very little off white head, just a few surface blobs.

Very herbal aroma, hops and tobacco. Some malt in there. More resiny hop.

Taste is tart cherry and some citrus. Malt is there, barely, with some peat and tobacco. The tart is weird. Herbal grass and hop finish.

Lively mouthfeel, maybe too much. Easy lighter body, but it just isn't easy to drink because of the tart.

Maybe this would have been better in the warmer summer months...will need to revisit.

A really odd brown ale, and yet another Shorts brew with a tart/sourness. Makes me wonder if this is really what they are intending. I know they had some infections issues, but across different brews still? The experimentations maybe starting to hinder at this point.

Bung, Jan 11, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -9.8%

A- dark brown with white head and lacing.
S- kind of a boozy chocolate smell on the nose
T-hard to nail down. Nice malty backbone. Doesnt taste like a double at all. Dont get any hops at all.
M-nice body, not too much, not too little
D- goes down very smooth. Nice drinkability

brew3crew, Jan 10, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Brown and mostly clear. Tinges of red. Not a lot of head and minimal lacing.

Smells of caramel and chocolate malts with a nice hoppy, earthy, nutty aroma.

Tastes pretty good, a flavorful brew for sure. The dry-hops gives it a nice hoppy bite, but doesn't overpower the malts. Chocolate and coffee flavors accent.

Feel is medium bodied, low bitterness and pleasant aftertaste.

Drinks pretty good. I'd certainly have it again.

AlCaponeJunior, Jan 09, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Many thanks go out to Eric (gratefulbeerhead) for this bottle.

A- Pours a brown color with red hues as it is held to the light. Half finger tan head shows medium retention. Lacing was good with light streaks on the sides of the glass.

S- Piney earthy hops in the front of the nose. Some light citrus hops in the ending of the aroma. Middle of the aroma is base beer notes of caramel, toffee, and light chocoalte malts.

T- Piney hop bite in the front of the beer at first. Caramel base malts show up toward the ending front. Toffee malts with a light nutty flavor in the middle of the beer. There is chocoalte malts in the ending of the beer that have a splash of citrus hops in it. The alcohol kind of show up there as well in the ending before dying off quickly.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good but seems a little light like most Short's beers. Piney hops with toffee malts and light nutty flavors left on the palate. Aftertaste is light alcohol, chocoalte malts, and other base brown ale flavor. Light drying on the palate from the alcohol. Flavors were clean and I thought very well balanced.

D- This beer is drinkable not a problem. The ABV I would suggest is higher making it kind of a deadly combo with the drinkability. I don't think Short's really makes a beer that is great in the carbonation department which I expect from them. This alone makes it drop half a point in this category.

alleykatking, Jan 02, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Pint
A: Moderate pour yields 1/2 finger of tan head with fair retention. Clear deep crimson brown liquid = pretty. Better head retention please.
S: Strong on caramel and hazelnut. Tart cherry. Interesting tingle of hops lies just beneath. I expected more hops, but it is good smelling.
T: Strongly biscuity, slightly bready malt. Strong caramel, strong hazelnut. A sweet beer with an almost cloying nature to the caramel and hazelnut which is a negative. Hazelnut tastes a lot like Rogue Hazelnut Brown. Little to no hop flavor noticeable in this "dry-hopped double brown". No alcohol character whatsoever. Nice touch of roasty cocoa.
M: Syrupy, almost cloyingly sweet, slightly bitter.
D: Okay, but I wouldn't order again or buy six. Tasty, but only one for me.

dfillius, Jan 01, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours very dark brown with medium head. Smells creamy - and yes, I know that doesn't make sense. A bit of fruit on the nose as well. Tastes like a creamy brown ale with a touch of hops. There's something a bit odd in the taste and a bit in the nose. I can't really put my finger on it. Sugary dark fruit, maybe? Just a touch. Medium mouthfeel, but with that creaminess which is quite appealing.

I must interject at this point that all of the shorts beers I have had have this underlying flavor that I cannot put my finger on. Maybe it comes from the yeast they use or something.

Anyway, the drinkability is moderate - the hop presence doesn't mesh all that well with the rest of the beer and detracts a bit from the drinkability.

Altogether, it is a decent beer, but not great by any means.

seeswo, Dec 29, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours into a brownish red colored body with a tan head that has good retention and some of the best lacing I have seen on a beer. The carbonation is also good on this one. The smell is a nice fruity smell, along with some hops, pine, toffee, some citrus too. Love the smell of this beer. The taste is of pine, coffee, chocolate folloed by some hops and citrus. It is not too strong in any tastes and is well balanced. The mouthfeel is a nice smooth medium body feel and this is so good and smooth that how could it not be a very drinkable beer?

DannyDan, Dec 27, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

pours a very dark, almost opaque brown with an average two-fingered dark khaki colored head that retains and laces well.

plenty of hops in the aroma, fresh cut grass, pine, herbs, some citrus, with some toffee, caramel, and light chocolate aromas.

a little more sharp grassy hops than Dogfish's Indian Brown. toast, toffee, milk chocolate, and caramel mingle along with the piny citric hops.

a bit light and watery with a lot of carbonation, but a very pleasing sweet yet bitter aftertaste.

drinks very well. variety of flavors are crafted together well. another good one from shorts.

silentjay, Dec 27, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

thanks, kzoobrew. Gotta gotta have my Shorts. 12oz into Bells tulip.

A- Low carbonation on the pour, I'm able to swirl up a 1/2 finger of sticky off-white foam. Deep, dark brown base beer. Lacing is nice.

S- Deep malts on this nose. Very nice. Caramel/molasses, bit of grassy/earthy hops and a bit of sweet fruit.

T- Nice hop snap on the tongue. Good brown ale maltiness too, the malt sweetness and piny/zesty fresh hops go well together. Grapefruit, orange hops. Not much lingering bitterness.

M- Good carbonation, nice body, spot-on.

D- High. I would drink this a lot if I had it in my local stores. One of the better Am. brown ales out there, I'm loving the hop bite.

ShogoKawada, Dec 22, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Thank you to TCHopCraver for gifting me this tasty ale!

Pours a dark rosewood hued brown color with a medium tan head. There is pretty low carbonation, but a firm pour yields a decent little head that leaves wispy lace.

The aroma is very appealing with plenty of caramel and chocolate notes. This beer has a very sweet aroma that also carries a hint of fruit and some nutty toffee aromas. The more I sniff, the more I think that fruitiness might be some American hops.

The flavor is just as enticing as the aroma. Caramel, toffee, chocolate, a bit of coffee and a slight grapefruityness all mingle in my mouth. It has just a touch of buttery nuttiness. There is just enough dryness to keep it from being too sweet and setting off the coffee flavors with a bit of a coffee and cream type vibe. Very well crafted.

The mouthfeel is medium with a fairly low carbonation that gives it a nice smoothness. It finishes quite cleanly with just a bit of dark malt astringency lingering on my palate.

This beer is very drinkable and tasty. I could drink multiple of these in one sitting, though the richness might fill me up after a bit. The verdict: Good Humans = good!

zoso1967, Dec 21, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

A- pours a slight transparent (if you hold it up to light) mega dark amber/brownish color. nice off white tannish frothy head.

S- i do notice the roasty malt but also with a smack of a spicy and citrusy hop. you don't smell this in a brew often.

T- alil too watery for me. you do notice alil roasted malt but the hops aren't as strong as you pick out of the smell. alcohol is undetected. has a silkiness texture to the tongue and throat.

M- light bodied. decent carbonation.

D- not too shabby. would take this over many beers. not my go-to tho. bought a single. prolly not gonna buy a 6 but i wouldn't buy a 6 of dogfish 60 min if you get my drift.

Overall- short's brewing always offers delectible liquid libations for all. to me this brew hangs in the middle. it's not bad at all but just lacks some punch. it's very easy drinking.

claminat420, Dec 18, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

New bottled release from Shorts

A:Dark brown color. Quarter inch tan head. Lacing is thin all the way down the glass.
S: Carmel, roasted malt, slight dark chocolate. Nice hoppiness that was not expected. Smell like a lot of shorts do, must be a unique yeast. Kinda of funky.
T: Tastes as expected. Earthy hoppiness. Roasted malts carmel and chocolate.
M: Nice carbonation. A bit thin for my liking.
D: Drinkability is good accept for the fact I am not a huge fan of this beer.

Being a Michigan resident I feel obligated to try the Shorts offerings. I honestly have not been all that impressed except for their IPA.

jmich24, Dec 14, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. No freshness date, but this is a recent release.

Appearance: After the aroma I was expecting this beer to look like a Daisy Cutter Pale Ale, but this has a deep, dark brown color. A half fingers worth of nice eggshell head fades to some nice wisps. Looking around the edges of the glass the beer has a nice dark amber color. No lacing.

Smell: Whew! Crisp and clean hops, very nice. Pretty overwhelming, but fades a little as it warms to room temperature. After some warming there are still plenty of piney hop aromas, but there are now notes of caramel and malts, very faint.

Taste: The hops come through very well out front, but then they are balanced very well by nice a nice smooth malty flavor. Make no mistake about it, this beer is all about the hops, plenty of piney bitterness throughout. Caramel, roasted flavors, and some sweetness hit as it warms, and then finally some alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a low carbonation, a little too low for my liking actually. Very smooth and creamy. For all the hops in the aroma and the flavor it finishes clean, no piney aftertaste.

Overall: This beer smells like a pale ale, looks like a brown, and has bitter and roasted flavors. Very smooth and creamy, perfect amount of hops that are countered nicely. Easily drinkable, I hope the ABV isn't too high...

otto251068, Dec 11, 2010