Good Humans - Short's Brewing Company

Good HumansGood Humans

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: webmanspidey on 12-20-2009

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 477 | Reviews: 177
4.32/5  rDev +14.3%

A - a rich thick looking brown with a nice retention of sandy white foam floating along the top, waiting to be sipped

S - Carmel, toffee, brown sugar??

T - A nice blend of sweetness from that brown sugary carmel flavor and a dose of hops... a sweet treat

M - Thin to medium bodied.. an easy target for the palate

O - If I'd be guaranteed a good bottle each time, I'd pick it up again. I know that they've had a run of issues with beers going sour, or infected at times... Not sure? Either way, worth a pick up though!

Photo of
2.8/5  rDev -25.9%

Appearance - Dark ruby-brown with a moderately sized creamy head.
Aroma is malty sweet, dark chocolate, roasted malts, mocha, but a a woody aroma.
Taste is not what I expected from the smell – first it is sweet and malty, but that is followed by a lot of fruit (cherries and plums) and it finishes a little tart. Only a touch of bitterness, no real hop character. Although it is a winter seasonal and I'm drinking it on April 2, so the dry-hopped character may have faded a bit.

Pours a hazy deep amber to a brown-ish color with a tan head. In the aroma, sweet roasted malt, with small notes of fruit and nuts. In the taste, a sweet roast and complimented with a nice sweet fruitiness and balanced back down with a dry nuttiness. A small bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry fruit and nut aftertaste. Nice malt, and the fruitiness is really nice.

3.97/5  rDev +5%

This beer is a lightish to medium brown with clarity. A small, light tan head has fair retention and leaves moderate lacing spottily down my glass.
This is a hoppy brown. An interesting mix of floral, citrus, and a touch of spice balances in the nose with bready malts that also offer a touch of nuts and a tint of something more maple than caramel. Really, though, citrus and hops bitterness are put forward to push the "double brown ale" idea.
Not much different can be said for the flavor. Citrus really sets the stage, oily hops giving some grapefruit and rind zest up front. A bit of sweetness pulls through, again a bit maple, with roasted malts balancing well. There's a touch of alcohol that's just enough to compliment without being enough to detract.
This is a medium-bodied ale with adequate carbonation to add life without being spritzy. There's a bit of warmth, and the hops add a dryness to the body to result in a body that's overall semi-dry. Each sip goes pleasantly creamy and a nice complexity lingers in the finish.

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%

Sent to me in a great trade. Ryan (lewis1rg), cheers to you buddy!

A: Dark brownish-red, extremely cloudy, with very little to no head to speak of.

S: What the hell is this? On the nose, I got some sort of brown sugar concoction with more than a trace of pomegrante and a bit of ash. This wasn't entirely unpleasant.

T: Either this is mildly infected, or it's an extremely hoppy, citrusy, smoky, sour, brown ale. To be honest, the taste was not as bad as the nose. Dry finish.

M: Almost flat as a pancake, but with no alcohol detected. I'm still not sure if the sweetness or sourness lingers more. Either way, this brew almost defies description.

O: Almost a souped up gueze. I've read lots on here and other places about how Shorts beer have tons of quality issues: constant bottle infections, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc. I'm not sure to believe these charges, or to just believe that the brewers at Shorts are just weirdos. Either way, this wasn't entirely a disaster and was BY FAR the most unusual brown ale I've ever tasted.

2.3/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Live review of a 12 oz bottle.

Infected.

A: A nice clear mahogany with a one-finger creamy head that sticks.
S: Plums and cranberry juice, very earthy hops (almost woody), strawberry syrup, mild nuttiness, and a brown sugar base. Not very strong and slightly musty, which makes it messy.
T: Tart cherries, walnuts, woody hops, fresh oak... cherry or cranberry root beer is probably a pretty good description. The bitterness lingers on kind of awkwardly with the dry tartness. It's not a total disaster.
M: Thinner with a cream soda carbonation.
O: This had the possibilities of an incidental oud bruin, but fell short. Either way, I wouldn't recommend it, based on the high probability of infection.

2.94/5  rDev -22.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
110410 on the label, no other info.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for yet another beer!

A - Good Humans pours a brilliantly red mahogany color with nice clarity and a dense caramel head. Solid retention and thick foam coats the glass.

S - Willamet hops immediately push forwards with an aggressive earthy tone of mulch and soil. Deep amber malts exude some toast qualities and provide a good backbone. Earthy to the max.

T - The biting hop profile completely overwhelms the malt to the point of it being thin. Toast on the finish, but the taste is almost completely earthy hop. There is a touch of what tastes like a sour infection but it plays out more in the mouthfeel.

M - Thin, light-bodied, and under-carbonated, there is a dry bitterness from the hops but it's more of a dry, almost lactobacillus-like sourness that seems to be taking a hold of the brew. (No, I'm not just assuming this because of Short's past problems.)

O - Honestly, this beer isn't awful, I just find it lightly offensive between the over-the-top hop profile that's not balanced very well. Also, I'm not sure if the date is a production or best before (although the hops haven't faded it seems) but there seems to be some sort of bug in it. Lastly, the label calls it a double but there's no alcohol anywhere. Then again Short's excels at covering up alcohol levels.

4.71/5  rDev +24.6%

One of my favorite seasonal beers from Short's. Poured from a bottle into a glass. Seth Bernard did the drawing on the label with lyrics from his song "We're Humans", both of which I love.

A - Opaque, dark reddish brown, very thin head.

S - Orange peel with a very malty sweetness. Mild hop aroma and a very smokey molasses.

T - Rich maltiness, mild hoppiness. Strong coriander on the finish and very dry on the finish. Has that signature Short's finish that I can't put my palette on -- we'll just call it the Short's umame.

M - Soft, bitter, and frothy.

D - High -- very smooth, goes down quick.

3.7/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A -darkish brown with ruby hues when held up to the light.

S - Good amount roast and sweet crystal malts. Earthiness--almost a mushroom scent. Some vegetal character leads me to believe this bottle has seen better days. Not unpleasant overall.

T - Malt sweetness hits the palate first, followed immediately by huge sweet stone fruits (esp. prunes), which finishes almost tart. Roast adds a nice complexity, and some hop bitterness balances the sweetness.

M - Approaching medium bodied.

D - Goes does easy. Very quaffable.

Overall: Not my style at all, but this is a great take on a brown. I'm enjoying this beer and happy I have another in the fridge. Regret not having it uber-fresh so I could enjoy the dry hops, but still very pleasant. Cheers.

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle a dark hazy brown color with ruby highlights. A fast-fading one finger of beige head rests on top.

Aroma of dark fruit, roasted malts and pine.

Tastes of dark ripe fruit, nuts and a bit of coffee.

Medium bodied and lightly carbonated.

Probably the weak spot in the Short's lineup for me. It's good, but I've come to expect more.

3.05/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Mad Fox glass. It poured a deep mahogany brown color with a big and fluffy off white head to it. The head settled a bit, but overall had some pretty good retention. Some very nice lacing as i drank it as well.

The aroma shows a pretty hoppy, pine and grapefruit citrus flavor along with some underlying malty, caramel, brown ale characteristics. The flavors all come together pretty nicely actually, and both hoppy and malty get a chance to shine.

The taste starts off with some of the brown ale, malty flavors. It really takes a sharp turn pretty quickly though. I get a sugary sweet, but yet also a tart fruitiness that just doesn't seem to fit at all. It's kind of a similar flavor I got in many Short's beers. In the finish some of the hoppy, grapefruit like flavors come through along with a moderate, lingering, herbal bitterness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability was below average for me, the hoppiness was nice but that sugary sweet, tart fruity flavor hurt the beer overall for me. It just didn't seem to fit the beer style at all. As I said it seems like a flavor I get out of a lot of Short's beers. Not a terrible beer overall but not a great one either.

4.12/5  rDev +9%

I picked up a single of this the other day at the lager mill for $!.89. I have seen this brew around lately but for 11 bucks a 6 pack I wasn't sure about it, so when I saw a single of this on the shelf I had to give it a try. There was no bottling date on the bottle but I am pretty sure it is from December 2010. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- This beer has a pretty weird label, but I like it, it reminds me of some zappa album art. I wish shorts would put more info on their labels. This beer poured a nice dirty brown color that had some red hues when held to the light. It had a fingers worth of head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end.

S- At first I pick up some nice roasted malts and a nice hint of coffee, but that only lasts for a split second, then I am hit with tons of citrus hops. It smells good just wasn't expecting it to be so hop forward in the nose. The coffee, caramel, and toffee aromas blend nicely with the citrus hops to create a really unique aroma.

T- Just like the aroma the sweet roasted malts hit the palate first imparting a nice sweet and malty base for this beer, I pick up some coffee, caramel, toffee, and a touch of vanilla. In the middle to the end I am hit with a good amount of nice citrus hops. This beer isn't as hoppy as the nose leads you to believe, but it's still very hoppy, especially for a brown ale. The taste is pretty unique as far as brown ales go and the balance between sweet roasted malts and citrus hops was very nice.

M- Medium bodied, smooth, and like most shorts brews a little under carbonated.

D- This brew is quite drinkable, the balance between sweet malts and citrus hops is perfect so it's not too sweet or too bitter. I could probably go for another one but after that I would have to switch it up.

Overall I thought this was a unique and good brown ale. I like this one a little more then Bellaire brown. It had all the great brown ale flavors I love but with a citrus hop twist that you don't get with many brown ales. This is a good beer that I feel could replace bellaire brown as a year round serving. Good unique brew shorts, just when I think I know just about everything about a style you guys put out something crazy like this and make me eat my words...Touche'

3.27/5  rDev -13.5%

Thanks to hurfer for the extra. Poured from 12oz bottle (no date) into a snifter glass. Pours a reddish brown, deeper copper with decent haze, a decent sized khaki head that settles to a film that laces a bit. Aromas are brown malts and nut, toffee and tobbacco, some vanilla, faint cocoa, soapy grapefruit hops and floral come in, with a bit of rind and grass. Toasty bread and caramel mixes with a good hopping. Initial is well hopped up front, bitter and floral with a touch of soap moves into caramel and toffee, biscuits and toasty bread, tobbacco, brown malts, earthy hops mix with grapefruit and tougher florals on the backend, providing a nice contrast from sticky sweet malts and stronger hops with good acidics. Medium bodied, a firm bitterness counters the sweeter malts of cocoa and caramel. Finish is nutty, floral, and pine with mellow sweetness having final say on the tounge, and bitterness going down the throat. Tasty, a nice beer overall and I'm probably not quite giving it enough credit. Glad to have tried this one. A strong brown ale for the style and an interesting beer from a small local brewery.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Dark brown pour, smallish head with some lacing:

Smell: Heavy biscuit malts and nuts (pecans)

Taste: Heavy nutty/biscuit malts. Caramel and oak with some dark fruits. Slight metallic/sour twang also.

Mouthfeel: Very heavy, good soft carbonation

Drinkablity: Like most of these Short's beers, 12oz is plenty.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

This beer was just okay for me. I was really excited because it was a style I had never seen before and I love me some hops. It tasted like a beer a friend made using cheap equipment. You know the kind, you can taste the potential but the way it was brewed leaves it lacking. Not bad by any means, just not something I'd look for really hard.

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

Swifty donated this to me. It's tasty and a style I've never had. Strong hop significance to a brown ale. It's pretty tasty. I mixed a porter and an ipa before and it sort of reminds me of that beer. It's darker in color reminiscent of a traditional brown ale. The smell is a little hoppy but does have a strong malt presence. The taste is good with caramel, oak and finishing with a nice bitterness balancing it out. Definitely a nice idea. It's pretty tasty with a nice aftertaste. It's exactly what you would think with a dry hopped brown ale and tastes like a mix of an ipa and a brown ale, and if you like either of those styles of beers, you will like this one too.

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

Thanks to kdub87 for sending this bottle.

Pours dark brown and slightly hazy into a pint glass. A finger of fluffy, light brown head fades to just a bit of lacing.

Nice, interesting balance of hops and malt in the nose. Roasty, nutty smells are accompanied by a hint of funky sourness.

I don't detect much hops in the flavor, just some dark malts and more of the sourness I picked up in the smell. Certainly interesting, but it doesn't really work for me.

Medium-bodied with decent carbonation, this beer feels just fine on the tongue.

Drinkability is limited by the odd sour flavors. Not at all what I expect in a brown ale.

3.24/5  rDev -14.3%

appearance - pours a raisin brown, sticky retention

smell - roasted malts and nuttiness

taste - a stark nutty taste, roasty malts, some bitterness in the finish

mouthfeel - a bit on the light side, seems imbalanced with the level of carbonation

drinkability - has a very unique flavor profile but inconsistencies that bring out the flaws in the beer...or maybe intentional qualities

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with some red tint. There is under one finger of off white head, of which just a little bit remains throughout.

Smell: I'm getting a bit of nutty roast along with some fruit. Quite a bit of citrus hops in there as well.

Taste: The first thing I notice is a fairly tart fruity sweetness, I wasn't quite expecting that. There is also a bit of nutty roast and some hop bitterness. The fruity notes are overpowering to me.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and quite dry at the finish.

Drinkability: I'm not a huge fan of this one. I'm not sure if I got an old bottle or what, but the fruity flavor really turned me off.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Reviewed from notes scratched out on 1/19/11.

These Good Humans pour dark brown with a ruby tint into my snifter. From a medium-hard pour a half-finger light brown head emerges. A film with dots like sparklers resides on top of the body as the head burns off. Lacing on the glass looks like a huge cascading firework.

A sweet citrusy hop smell is the first impression on my nose. When first I tried this beer it reminded me of Founders Harvest Ale. That's how freshly hoppy this smell is. Supporting the hops are deeper aromas of brown sugar, caramel, cinnamon, and just a hint of roasted malt. I really like how the hops and dark malt play off of each other in the bouquet. With deep inhales, I detect some nuttiness, as well.

Roastyness is more prominent in the taste than in the smell at first, followed by sweeter malt flavors of brown sugar, caramel, and chocolate, and a citrus hop presence. Right before the finish the taste is just a tad buttery, and is followed by a nutty, roasty, earthy, bitter conclusion.

This is a medium-bodied beer which starts a bit hot on the sides if my mouth, transitions to a creamy middle, and ends with a bitter pucker from the hops and roasted malt. It is a varied and interesting feel.

I find these Humans to be very drinkable. They are a great combination of a nutty, malty brown ale and a hoppy, citrusy pale ale. This is a tasty treat that I will enjoy much over the years.

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

A - I poured a bottle of this into a pint glass. Great looking beer. Nice dark-but-not-too-dark brown color with a nice foamy head. A great pour. Looks like a perfect brown.

S - The dry hops overwhelm the smell I think. You can smell just a touch of nuttiness but mostly it's the hops. I did not find this to be a bad thing but I always love dry-hopping my own beer.

T - This is a good beer. You get the hop aromas but in drinking Good Humans, you get that nice crisp brown ale taste and a little fruit as well.

M - This is where the beer goes awry. I thought that for a beer that tastes like it's on the lighter side of things, the mouth feels too coated after drinking this. I had to down a glass of water to feel normal again.

D - It's a good beer, but I'd only have one on account of the aforementioned stickiness I experienced upon finishing.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Poured into tumbler pint.

A- Lovely amber brown color, small, tan white head, with nice, medium lacing.

S- Nice, forward citrusy hop bouquet, with sweet, malty overtones.

T- A delicious synergy of sweet, malty, and hoppy flavors leap into the palate. The hops shine through nice in the finish and aftertaste, as well, with a grapefruit-esque flavor coming through (reminds me of fruit ring cereal, in some sense).

M- Smooth, creamy, and pleasantly carbonated with a mild-medium body.

D- I find this one very drinkable, and would gladly several more.

To my mind, an excellent brew. Its a wonderful marriage of IPA and brown ale elements which i enjoy immensely. This pairing really seems like a great beer for hopheads and lovers of brown ales alike, as it offers a nice palate of both worlds. I recently gave one of these to a good friend who usually tends towards macro pilsners, and he loved it. I look forward buying another 6-pack before its next brewing :)

3.55/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a brownish color with a fairly large foamy off white head. Head has pretty good retention and leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Smells of wet grass, flowery, toasted nuts, and a nice load of tropical fruits.

T- Taste is a bit of fruitiness - grapes, pears, and melon, a bit of a woody flavour and a really strong earthy nutty flavour.

M- Carbonatoin seems to be right on and the body seems to be a bit on the lighter side.

D- Not quite sure how much I'd seek this one out again.

2.23/5  rDev -41%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

A vigorous pour produces a trace amount khaki colored head on a murky ruby brown body.

Aroma has very little hop presence or typical brown ale flavors. Slightly sour with dark fruit and mild solvent.

I'm guessing this is infected as the flavor is immediately artificially sweet, like orange and strawberry Starburst and finishes with an astringent sourness. Under that mess there is some nutty malt flavors, but still no hops. The more i drink, the less sure I'm that this is infected, but regardless I'm not enjoying this and will pour out the rest of the glass. Oh well.

3.33/5  rDev -11.9%

Thanks much to gnemesis for this brew (and the heads up of the possible infection). I dunno...infected...or just supposed to be a sour brown ale.

A - Poured a nutmeg shiny brown with a thin head into my oversized snifter. Shiny and inviting.

S - Spicey, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, sweet tart....more sour than a brown ale. Interesting. Different. Brown ale? Really?

T - Sour sweet tarts. Way more like a sour than a brown ale. Possibly an infected bottle (as told by my source)? Really sour, almost biting but interesting in a weird way.

M/D - Almost like drinking sour candy. I received a BM from gnemesis who traded this my way saying it might be infected. After reading some other recent reviews, seems like maybe a bad batch hit shelves? They don't seem to jive with all the other reviews. If I get another chance to taste this (have another bottle, but it is likely the same batch) I will adjust my review accordingly.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Good Humans from Short's Brewing Company