Good Humans - Short's Brewing Company

Good HumansGood Humans

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: webmanspidey on 12-20-2009)
3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Walnut brown, with a ruby tin in the edges of the glass. A creamy head with an eggshell hue forms initially, eventually fading to a ring and leaving a little lacing on the glass.

Smell: Not really getting any dry hopped aroma. Roast malt, some molasses, and dark fruits - fig and raisin mostly, but a very modest aroma.

Taste: Molasses, plums and figs up front, followed by some roasted malt and soft nutty flavors. There is a light citrus and spice kick at the end, but there is just not much hop presence here.

Mouthfeel: Good Humans is lightly sticky but mostly clean. Medium carbonation and a medium body.

Drinkability: I was expecting a dry-hopped brown ale, and I got mild dark fruit and much hop presence. Maybe this was just a bad bottle based on the other reviews, but there was almost no hop presence.

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

Another extra bottle received from readbaron recently. Thanks!

12oz bottle poured into a chalice. Pours a dirty amber-brown with no head at all. Just a ring sits rests along the edge. This leaves some light lace behind. The nose is surprisingly citrusy. Big notes orange, pineapple, then the malts come through more with some brown sugar and faint breads. This smells like a standard Pale.

The mouth is light and carbonated well. This helps in drinkability quite. The flavors are different from standard Browns I've had. The citrus aspect carries over here as well, with flavors of lemon, orange and mild bitterness from the hops. The usual Brown characteristics are fleeting, if not absent. Some mild malty sweetness on the back end. This was a different take. I guess the more I have from these guys, the more I learn that they like to push the envelope a bit on the styles and ingredients. I'd have it again, I guess, but not when I'm looking for a Brown Ale.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Thanks to Urbancaver for getting this for me.

A - It pours a dirty rusty orange color to fill out to a dark brown. The body is quite transparent, and lets some red light through. Theres a bit of small, off-white head in it too.

S - It's funny, the way it smells so hoppy. It claims that, of course, but it's still a funny thing. The citrusy hops are the first thing you get, then you smell some roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee. Interesting, but I think of this style as more malt-heavy.

T - It starts with a funny light sweetness, and then you get some mildly bitter hops throughout, which are made to tasty dirty by the roasted character of the malts. I don't think this is very much like a brown ale, and I don't know how I would categorize it. I guess it's unique, but not necessarily in a good way.

M - Unbelievably light mouthfeel. If I couldn't taste it, I wouldn't know it was there. I guess that's not bad.

D - despite all the weird stuff about this beer, from the out-of-place hops, to the empty mouthfeel, to the funky sweetness, I think it is pretty drinkable. It's odd, but it's not offensive.

4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was a very nice dark brown color with a creamy head.

Smell was a ton of hops. I know they said dry hopped but this was way more than I was expecting (in a good way).

Taste was very good. Started out very sweet and malty then changed to the bitterness of the hops with a great balance on the finish.

Mouthfeel was a little bigger than I prefer, especially for a brown but because of the nice balance you could easily drink more than one or two.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

A_Dark brown with a half inch khaki colored head. Good retention and thick lace.

S_Grapefruit,,hops,vanilla and brown sugar.

T_Same as nose. Pine and citrus hops upfront then make way to smooth vanilla,brown sugar,and molasses.Very solid imperial brown with a good kick from hop addition.

M_Medium bodied,moderate carbonation,smooth and creamy.

D_Very drinkable.

2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

Brown Ale is my favorite style and Short's Bellaire Brown is my favorite brown so I've been eagerly anticipating this year's release of Good Humans. The label describes this as a dry hopped double brown ale, so I'm expecting something along the lines of DFH Indian Brown (another favorite). This 12 ounce bottle (dated 11/22/10) was poured into a pint glass. The pour yields about half a finger of foamy tan head. Retention is not fantastic but the spotty lacing is nice. The brew is a deep walnut shade and is quite hazy. Very little carbonation is visible.

Holy hop-head Batman! The first whiff of this beer gives off a ton of hops. I don't know if Short's has a go-to house hop, but this aroma is very similar in character to that of Short's Huma Lupa Licious and The Liberator (Their IPA and DIPA respectively). The hops are both floral and sweet citrus. Beneath the hops is an aromatic brown ale in its own right. Carmalized malts are noted on the nose. There is a faint scent of alcohol.

Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about this flavor. This is a hop-forward beer, but not overwhelmingly so. It's not beating me over the head with bitterness or anything. The initial flavor is an orange-like citrus combined with fresh garden vegetables (think snap peas in the pod). It is sweeter than any Short's IPA or brown ale that I've tasted. The brown characters are somewhat subtle. The earthiness and caramel malt is noted but I really have to concentrate to pick it up. There is a decent alcohol bite but it doesn't overwhelm. The finish is peas and cabbage. It's very strange and unexpected to say the least.

Good humans feels fairly light in the mouth. The bottle doesn't indicate the alcohol content but you get that moderately high alcohol feeling on the tongue and in the throat as it goes down. Carbonation is minimal. As the flavor is just bizarre, and the mouthfeel somewhat underperforms I'm not finding this beer to be all that drinkable. Again, there is no indication of the alcohol content but based on the taste and feel and the fact that it's marketed as a double, I'm going to assume it's +/-8%. Even if I was digging this I don't think I'd be able to drink many of them back to back.

Ultimately, this is just a disappointment; and not just because it's not what I expected. It's just a weird beer on its own merits: a strange marriage of styles that yields few of the positive characteristics of either style.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale™: (See my profile for an explanation)
Frankly dear, I don't give a Schlitz about Good Humans.

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle courtesy of Erik, thanks! Poured into New Belgium globe, dark opaque brown with light tan one finger head that fades to a cap with some lacing. Smells sweet and resinous, roasted malts, some tobacco and hints of sour notes, slightly hoppy. Taste is interesting - a fruity sourness up front, slightly roasted malt, some coffee flavors, hazelnut finish. No alcohol Medium bodied and medium carbonation. Good drinkability for for a double brown, would be interesting to find out what the abv is.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

12 oz. Your standard brown pour, very little off white head, just a few surface blobs.

Very herbal aroma, hops and tobacco. Some malt in there. More resiny hop.

Taste is tart cherry and some citrus. Malt is there, barely, with some peat and tobacco. The tart is weird. Herbal grass and hop finish.

Lively mouthfeel, maybe too much. Easy lighter body, but it just isn't easy to drink because of the tart.

Maybe this would have been better in the warmer summer months...will need to revisit.

A really odd brown ale, and yet another Shorts brew with a tart/sourness. Makes me wonder if this is really what they are intending. I know they had some infections issues, but across different brews still? The experimentations maybe starting to hinder at this point.

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%

A- dark brown with white head and lacing.
S- kind of a boozy chocolate smell on the nose
T-hard to nail down. Nice malty backbone. Doesnt taste like a double at all. Dont get any hops at all.
M-nice body, not too much, not too little
D- goes down very smooth. Nice drinkability

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Brown and mostly clear. Tinges of red. Not a lot of head and minimal lacing.

Smells of caramel and chocolate malts with a nice hoppy, earthy, nutty aroma.

Tastes pretty good, a flavorful brew for sure. The dry-hops gives it a nice hoppy bite, but doesn't overpower the malts. Chocolate and coffee flavors accent.

Feel is medium bodied, low bitterness and pleasant aftertaste.

Drinks pretty good. I'd certainly have it again.

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Many thanks go out to Eric (gratefulbeerhead) for this bottle.

A- Pours a brown color with red hues as it is held to the light. Half finger tan head shows medium retention. Lacing was good with light streaks on the sides of the glass.

S- Piney earthy hops in the front of the nose. Some light citrus hops in the ending of the aroma. Middle of the aroma is base beer notes of caramel, toffee, and light chocoalte malts.

T- Piney hop bite in the front of the beer at first. Caramel base malts show up toward the ending front. Toffee malts with a light nutty flavor in the middle of the beer. There is chocoalte malts in the ending of the beer that have a splash of citrus hops in it. The alcohol kind of show up there as well in the ending before dying off quickly.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good but seems a little light like most Short's beers. Piney hops with toffee malts and light nutty flavors left on the palate. Aftertaste is light alcohol, chocoalte malts, and other base brown ale flavor. Light drying on the palate from the alcohol. Flavors were clean and I thought very well balanced.

D- This beer is drinkable not a problem. The ABV I would suggest is higher making it kind of a deadly combo with the drinkability. I don't think Short's really makes a beer that is great in the carbonation department which I expect from them. This alone makes it drop half a point in this category.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

Pint
A: Moderate pour yields 1/2 finger of tan head with fair retention. Clear deep crimson brown liquid = pretty. Better head retention please.
S: Strong on caramel and hazelnut. Tart cherry. Interesting tingle of hops lies just beneath. I expected more hops, but it is good smelling.
T: Strongly biscuity, slightly bready malt. Strong caramel, strong hazelnut. A sweet beer with an almost cloying nature to the caramel and hazelnut which is a negative. Hazelnut tastes a lot like Rogue Hazelnut Brown. Little to no hop flavor noticeable in this "dry-hopped double brown". No alcohol character whatsoever. Nice touch of roasty cocoa.
M: Syrupy, almost cloyingly sweet, slightly bitter.
D: Okay, but I wouldn't order again or buy six. Tasty, but only one for me.

3.73/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours very dark brown with medium head. Smells creamy - and yes, I know that doesn't make sense. A bit of fruit on the nose as well. Tastes like a creamy brown ale with a touch of hops. There's something a bit odd in the taste and a bit in the nose. I can't really put my finger on it. Sugary dark fruit, maybe? Just a touch. Medium mouthfeel, but with that creaminess which is quite appealing.

I must interject at this point that all of the shorts beers I have had have this underlying flavor that I cannot put my finger on. Maybe it comes from the yeast they use or something.

Anyway, the drinkability is moderate - the hop presence doesn't mesh all that well with the rest of the beer and detracts a bit from the drinkability.

Altogether, it is a decent beer, but not great by any means.

4.43/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours into a brownish red colored body with a tan head that has good retention and some of the best lacing I have seen on a beer. The carbonation is also good on this one. The smell is a nice fruity smell, along with some hops, pine, toffee, some citrus too. Love the smell of this beer. The taste is of pine, coffee, chocolate folloed by some hops and citrus. It is not too strong in any tastes and is well balanced. The mouthfeel is a nice smooth medium body feel and this is so good and smooth that how could it not be a very drinkable beer?

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

pours a very dark, almost opaque brown with an average two-fingered dark khaki colored head that retains and laces well.

plenty of hops in the aroma, fresh cut grass, pine, herbs, some citrus, with some toffee, caramel, and light chocolate aromas.

a little more sharp grassy hops than Dogfish's Indian Brown. toast, toffee, milk chocolate, and caramel mingle along with the piny citric hops.

a bit light and watery with a lot of carbonation, but a very pleasing sweet yet bitter aftertaste.

drinks very well. variety of flavors are crafted together well. another good one from shorts.

4.43/5  rDev +17.2%

thanks, kzoobrew. Gotta gotta have my Shorts. 12oz into Bells tulip.

A- Low carbonation on the pour, I'm able to swirl up a 1/2 finger of sticky off-white foam. Deep, dark brown base beer. Lacing is nice.

S- Deep malts on this nose. Very nice. Caramel/molasses, bit of grassy/earthy hops and a bit of sweet fruit.

T- Nice hop snap on the tongue. Good brown ale maltiness too, the malt sweetness and piny/zesty fresh hops go well together. Grapefruit, orange hops. Not much lingering bitterness.

M- Good carbonation, nice body, spot-on.

D- High. I would drink this a lot if I had it in my local stores. One of the better Am. brown ales out there, I'm loving the hop bite.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Thank you to TCHopCraver for gifting me this tasty ale!

Pours a dark rosewood hued brown color with a medium tan head. There is pretty low carbonation, but a firm pour yields a decent little head that leaves wispy lace.

The aroma is very appealing with plenty of caramel and chocolate notes. This beer has a very sweet aroma that also carries a hint of fruit and some nutty toffee aromas. The more I sniff, the more I think that fruitiness might be some American hops.

The flavor is just as enticing as the aroma. Caramel, toffee, chocolate, a bit of coffee and a slight grapefruityness all mingle in my mouth. It has just a touch of buttery nuttiness. There is just enough dryness to keep it from being too sweet and setting off the coffee flavors with a bit of a coffee and cream type vibe. Very well crafted.

The mouthfeel is medium with a fairly low carbonation that gives it a nice smoothness. It finishes quite cleanly with just a bit of dark malt astringency lingering on my palate.

This beer is very drinkable and tasty. I could drink multiple of these in one sitting, though the richness might fill me up after a bit. The verdict: Good Humans = good!

3.6/5  rDev -4.8%

A- pours a slight transparent (if you hold it up to light) mega dark amber/brownish color. nice off white tannish frothy head.

S- i do notice the roasty malt but also with a smack of a spicy and citrusy hop. you don't smell this in a brew often.

T- alil too watery for me. you do notice alil roasted malt but the hops aren't as strong as you pick out of the smell. alcohol is undetected. has a silkiness texture to the tongue and throat.

M- light bodied. decent carbonation.

D- not too shabby. would take this over many beers. not my go-to tho. bought a single. prolly not gonna buy a 6 but i wouldn't buy a 6 of dogfish 60 min if you get my drift.

Overall- short's brewing always offers delectible liquid libations for all. to me this brew hangs in the middle. it's not bad at all but just lacks some punch. it's very easy drinking.

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

New bottled release from Shorts

A:Dark brown color. Quarter inch tan head. Lacing is thin all the way down the glass.
S: Carmel, roasted malt, slight dark chocolate. Nice hoppiness that was not expected. Smell like a lot of shorts do, must be a unique yeast. Kinda of funky.
T: Tastes as expected. Earthy hoppiness. Roasted malts carmel and chocolate.
M: Nice carbonation. A bit thin for my liking.
D: Drinkability is good accept for the fact I am not a huge fan of this beer.

Being a Michigan resident I feel obligated to try the Shorts offerings. I honestly have not been all that impressed except for their IPA.

3.73/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. No freshness date, but this is a recent release.

Appearance: After the aroma I was expecting this beer to look like a Daisy Cutter Pale Ale, but this has a deep, dark brown color. A half fingers worth of nice eggshell head fades to some nice wisps. Looking around the edges of the glass the beer has a nice dark amber color. No lacing.

Smell: Whew! Crisp and clean hops, very nice. Pretty overwhelming, but fades a little as it warms to room temperature. After some warming there are still plenty of piney hop aromas, but there are now notes of caramel and malts, very faint.

Taste: The hops come through very well out front, but then they are balanced very well by nice a nice smooth malty flavor. Make no mistake about it, this beer is all about the hops, plenty of piney bitterness throughout. Caramel, roasted flavors, and some sweetness hit as it warms, and then finally some alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a low carbonation, a little too low for my liking actually. Very smooth and creamy. For all the hops in the aroma and the flavor it finishes clean, no piney aftertaste.

Overall: This beer smells like a pale ale, looks like a brown, and has bitter and roasted flavors. Very smooth and creamy, perfect amount of hops that are countered nicely. Easily drinkable, I hope the ABV isn't too high...

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured a nice medium brown color with a nice off-white head that left good lacing on the side of the glass. It smells surprisingly hoppy. Also there are notes of lemon zest, a little roastiness, and floral hops. The taste is great. There is a nice earthy hop bite right up front. There is also some roastiness that is cut by some malty sweetness. There is also some alcohol notes that come in at the finish. The taste of this beer is pretty well balanced. The mouthfeel is good on this. It has a good medium body with nice carbonation. The drinkability is good on this. I could drink these quite often. This beer was a definite surprise. I have never had a brown ale like this before, and I hope to find more brown ales like this. If anyone knows any please recommend some to me! Anyways, all in all I thought this was a great beer. Good job Shorts. Cheers.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a nice caramel brown color bordering on chestnut. Nice white head and a bit of lacing. The nose is really nice, with some sweet and roasted brown malts along with some nice piney, floral, and earthy hops. Really love the concept, as this seems to be done differently than the typical hoppy brown. The taste scales back a bit with some slight bitterness, roast, and slightly-sweet malt. Good body and carbonation with a nice level of bitterness. Drinks quite well and I'm glad that put this into bottles.

4.63/5  rDev +22.5%

so i decided last night to break out 10+, thats right 10+ new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

an absolutely exceptional beer to say i was thrilled to death to be able to try this would be the understatement of the night. pours out a nice medium brown color with a short lived head of off white that has just enough to it that it is able to coat the sides of the glass with a light lacing.

a really nice and healthy dose of hops great you as you take the first breath in. warming with a definite alcohol nose but this is shunted by a ridge caramel malt that balances it perfectly against the rest of the profile. smooth, rich and much fuller then one would expect the richness of the flavor wastes no time at all in coming across here. really well done the brown sugar and earthy base is cut by deep, piney hops and a resonant alcohol touch that really warms the belly. smooth finish leaves a dry touch that is both a nice and clean finish but has a small hint of roasted nuts that pops up.

overall would take this any day over an arrogant bastard or other strong ale. just really, really well done.

4.43/5  rDev +17.2%

Coined as an imperial brown fits the definition most of a american strong ale. Abv at about 8.2

Had it about a month ago at hop cat

The pour look like that of their regular brown but with a suprisingly sticky large head of off white caramel. A retention of a good double IPA. A nose of lemon zesty floral qualities and at this point i thought this beer was going to be a one dimensional hop bomb of a beer. but its takes a few seconds for it to open up into intense blood orange notes. The nose just indicated the clearing hop palate quality the beer had. This was at first visited in the nose. The palate was versatile to say the least in between. A definite nougat and nuttiness to say the least that blended with a hop character of passionfruit citrus and candied pineapple. but first and foremost bitter blood orange and baker's chocolate. The malt was broad enough that it would pick up different characteristics with what i ate. Toffee, plum and black currant. And when i had some mild dairy the nutty malt, nougat, and subtle chocolate would shine. I have had few american beers with this sort of innovation. A great beer. Will seek this one out again.

had it again about a year later and have to say that its a brown ale jam packed with all the possible qualities. great thing is that it evolves into something with each sip with food. a unique earthy fruit blend. pine resin, chocolate, bittle blood orange with a dry ender. this is the prefect time to have it. somewhat of a hop unique beer. somewhat of a malt unique beer too. and i like that. may be a tad sweet for some. but its suit well for the finish.

3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottle. Pours a fairly carbonated light brown color with a slighlty tan head. Notty, fruity, hoppy notes abound in the nose. Nice medium mouthfeel. Nice balance of hops and malt. Not super awesome but a nice twist on a brown ale with the addition of the added hops. Good lace.

Good Humans from Short's Brewing Company