Short's Key Lime Pie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Key Lime PieShort's Key Lime Pie

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: jrallen34 on 02-21-2010)
Reviews by Bmoyer0301:
Bmoyer0301

3.75/5  rDev +9%

Appearance:

Tonight I will be using one of my trusty workhorse glasses for this funky ale, my bubbled pint glass that once had the Dogfish Head logo on it but from using it so much and putting it through the dishwasher it rubbed off. But none the less it is still a great glass and ready to be filled up at a moments notice. As I pried the cap off the bottle I was greeted by a slightly less than average hiss from the carbonation gases and came and left quickly. On the pour, I decided to tilt the glass pretty hard to ensure I don’t have a foam over and when I was done I was left with a light coffee froth colored head with a half finger thick head that dissipated quite quickly. When I hold my glass up to the light I can get a deep hazy rust color that resembles a very light Irish Red beer, with some orange hues around the edges. When I give a glass a slight swirl there seems to be a very light presence of viscosity and hardly no legs to mention of.

Smell:

On the front end I am surprised to smell a large amount of malt and burnt caramel. Although there is a very prominent aroma of lime and other citrus fruits available there is just a tinge of a brett that I am hoping doesn’t mean its infected. Brown sugar all throughout the middle and some of the gram cracker is poking through with more sweetness and maybe cinnamon? There is absolutely no hops to mention of here and I am not surprised since I expected this to be a dessert in a bottle.

Taste:

I am thoroughly pleased with the taste on this, and I know it sounds so cliche to say but it honestly does taste like a liquid key lime pie. Loads of fresh sliced limes and toasted buttery malts are the front and center stage here. I really do not get any of the marshmallow as described on the bottle but I imagine there is lactose or another form of sugar in this to make the body feel heavier and taste sweeter. When you take the initial swallow on this one it really catches you off guard and makes your mouth pucker a little bit and I am liking that. As in the nose, a touch of cinnamon and other spices are floating around to dub down the citrus sweetness. In the finish I am pulling out more caramel and toffee like flavors which remind me of a dessert drizzle that they put on some cheesecakes and pies.

Drinkability:

I think this was an awesome beer to review and I am really glad that I had the opportunity to give it a shot. Sweet and tart just like the pie and a fine summer time beer. I love the novelty of the strange and unique flavors that Shorts put out but I always feel the same way after I drink a bottle. “One is enough for me.” I think that this would be a great beer to have around and to have one every once and awhile but this is not one of those beers that you will sit down and have four of in one evening. At least I don’t think that I could. But none the less a fantastic beer and in my opionion spot on to the flavor and another piece of art from Shorts. If you can trade or find this I would say give it a shot becuase not too many breweries out there make unique beers like these guys.

07-03-2011 17:35:48 | More by Bmoyer0301
DanGeo

05-30-2013 03:28:05 | More by DanGeo
tectactoe

3.49/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at Old Chicago. Pours a soft amber color with a weird, olive-green tint to it - not heavy, but a little "sickly" looking. Translucent with a bit of haze in the middle. Head nearly nonexistent, except for a small, white ring around the edge of the beer, possibly due to the pour, however. Aroma definitely had some light grahama cracker, alongside toasted caramel from the malt. Lime? Yeah, it's there. Or, something is, rather. The aroma doesn't give off immediate sensors of "lime", but SOME kind of fruitiness that seems more flat and sweet instead of tart and vibrant. Zesty, but not exceedingly so.

The taste is.... strange, to say the least. Starts off with a bit of citrus flavor; lime and lemon - again, moreover it's just sweet and kind of "laid back", not at all tart or sour like lambics, wild ales, or some other fruit beers. Bread from the malt, as well as an even lighter presence of caramel, adds a bit to the sweetness. Lack of a bitter counterpoint can make this beer seem too sweet after a while, but my 12 oz pour was very manageable. After a while, the flavors grow, but they don't necessarily evolve. Sweet, light citrus finish with little hints of malt. Thin body with a heavy carbonation handle.

The first time I tried this beer, I wasn't exactly sold on it. But the more I drank it, the more I liked it. It's interesting, extremely unique, and very refreshing. Not my favorite Shorts brew by a country mile, but enjoyable nonetheless, especially when you feel like stepping out of the box just a bit.

02-14-2013 17:56:38 | More by tectactoe
warnerry

07-01-2014 21:20:28 | More by warnerry
mctizzz

07-12-2014 16:31:57 | More by mctizzz
Mora2000

3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Thanks to RBlaszak for sending me this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. (I was hoping the beer would be green, oh well.)

The aroma is limes with some tartness. I also get some caramel and bready malt.

The flavor is very nice (but I am not sure if I am really tasting these components, or just imagining that I am after reading the label). The first taste I get is tart limes, but I also get some honey and bready malt - aka - graham crackers. I also get some creamy notes which taste about like marshmellows. The flavor has a nice mix of sweet and sour that I am really digging. After reading the label, I think I can pick out each of the components. If I hadn't read the label, I am not sure what the result would have been.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

One of the best Short's beers that I have tried. I love this brewery and hopefully I will get to try some more of their beers.

09-25-2010 04:26:04 | More by Mora2000

12-27-2011 16:00:46 | More by SPRichard
glid02

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +7%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours a hazy copper color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of moderately sweet crackers - half graham and half oyster. Also present are good amounts of indistinct and grainy light malts and slight amounts of artificially sweetened lime notes.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though not as well-integrated. Somewhat dry pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by sweet cracker flavors. Medium citrus flavors leaning toward lime but also with hints of grapefruit join in shortly thereafter before sweetening up midway through the sip, somewhat artificially. The citrus flavors fade out, allowing the cracker and malt flavors to carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall this was a very interesting beer that tried harder to emulate it's namesake than maybe it should have. The cracker flavors were the most off-putting and I think a more lime-forward beer would have been tastier. Still, despite the somewhat low score this beer is worth a shot to see for yourself.

11-21-2010 22:36:44 | More by glid02
goast8127

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%

Reviewed 10/21

I had heard many good things about this beer, and although I'm not a fan of real Key Lime Pie, I felt it necessary to give it a try. The pour is a translucent medium brown color, with a thin, slightly creamy foam. You definitely get a nutty aroma right away. With a creamy, graham cracker taste up front, the beer finishes a little warm, with a slight, lasting lime taste at the end.

01-07-2011 17:19:28 | More by goast8127
beatenbyjacks

Colorado

3.41/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance - Burnt amber with red hues. No head or lacing on this beer.

Smell - very sweet up front, perhaps from the marshmallow. lots of tropical fruit as well.

Taste - wow is this all over the place and I am not sure how much I like it. sweet and tropical, but then a burnt flavor to follow that is interesting.

Mouthfeel - that burnt flavor is interesting and stays in your mouth

Overall - they tried something new and it was fun to try.

07-07-2014 15:35:27 | More by beatenbyjacks
SolarMikey

12-24-2011 03:39:25 | More by SolarMikey
acurtis

2.25/5  rDev -34.6%

12-05-2011 00:28:17 | More by acurtis
Brenden

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

This is one I had to try again after having a very small sample in the 10/1/10 Toledo tasting. Thanks to a non-BA buddy up in MI, I was able to.

This one's sort of a hazy coppery orange in the glass. A spotty, thin white head forms with above-average retention, leaving thin spots of lacing on the glass.
Interestingly, there's not as much lime on the nose as in the flavor, and I've really got to pull to get some. It does smell like pie crust, though, and there's a nice sturdy malt backbone with what I assume is intentionally diacetyl aroma to add a buttery effect to the pie crust aroma. There's a bit of lactic sweetness as well (the marshmallow, perhaps?).
Here's where the lime kicks in, and when it does it pulls everything together. With a decent but not impressive malts presence and little hops to speak of, a hardcore beer critic might not be high on this one, but props definitely go to Short's for making this one what they intended. Lime is everything it should be: lightly acidic, tart, zesty and mildly sour, coupling with a milky, lactic, slightly sugary sweetness and a nice buttery graham-cracker crust. This is what key lime pie should taste like in a beer. It does get a bit too sweet at times, but it's accurate.
Carbonation is mild, but there's some life to this one. A medium body and moderate smoothness with a mix of sweet and sour in a mildly lingering finish make for a pretty nice mouthfeel. It could use a bit more life and gets a bit heavy.
Bravo to Short's. The temptation with many brewers would be to make a beer like this way too sweet, but that's avoided to the extreme here though it does rear its head. That and the heaviness take away a little from the drinkability, but I'll have another for sure.

10-06-2010 15:22:13 | More by Brenden
king75

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

A- Amber in color, very little head retention, descent lacing

S-is of lime, sugar, and maybe just a hint of grand cracker

T- This is really, really different. Starts off with a strong bitter lime bite, but quickly turns to a sweet flavor of brown sugar and grand cracker. This one ends up crisp and clean, but with a slight citrus pucker feel.

M- Is light, very palatable and enjoyable.

D- A little too sweet and unique to drink more than one.

Notes: I had high expectations for this beer. Although it did not meet my expectations it did meet them. It almost taste like a red ale/american amber with lime and grand cracker thrown in. Very interesting and very unique. Glad I was able to try it.

10-19-2010 02:53:49 | More by king75
nkersten

3.45/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a dark golden tan with little to no head. Swirling creates some white bubbles with no lacing. Smell is almost a bit sour - limes, some malt, no hops. Taste follows smell, mostly lime, a bit of graham cracker, light malts. Medium body with light carbonation. This is a one time beer, not terribly drinkable, but interesting.

10-21-2010 20:16:56 | More by nkersten
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

Spruce aroma. Decent mouthfeel. Carbnation is there. Lime and spice, spruce and sugar in the taste.Marshmellow. Bottle from Steve in Warren. Somewhat green colour.A bottle proved to be too much to solo.Would like more real lime and less sweetness, bring it on.

01-27-2013 03:34:03 | More by Sammy

08-03-2012 02:57:27 | More by MSEGUIN
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

12 oz bottle into pint glass. 2011 bottling.

A: Pours a murky orange hue, with a thing white head, that dissipates very quick into a nonexistent presence. Floating pieces of marshmallow show it's present in the visual. Medium levels of carbonation.

S: Aroma is light in intensity, with a good level of spicy, lime like gram cracker. Hops seem to be at low levels showing other characters.

TM: Juicy on the the mouthfeel, with a spicy zing of lime. Very sweet on the finish. Malt show fullness in the body, but very beady and fades into a nice level of lime. Carbonation is at good levels and if full, but not dominating.

O: For the ingredients used, this does blend well and overall turn out drinkable and good. I did get the "what's in your beard? - Check- oh thats marshmallow from the key lime pie.."

09-30-2011 02:19:40 | More by GDBEERMAN