Short's Key Lime Pie - Short's Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 490 | Reviews: 193
Reviews by airohead2001:
3.74/5  rDev +9%

Another great brew from Shorts. Thanks glazeman!

A - hazy orange with some touches of pink and light copper with a one finger off white head that fades away to nothing. No head retention and no lacing.

S - LIME, hops, and some general sourness. Insanely interesting and wonderful - what a fun beer.

T - lime and biscuit through out with some pilsner wheatiness in the finish with an awesome tangy sugar cookie aftertaste. Awesome.

M - Thin, reminds me of a regular ol' BMC brew.

D - Very sweet and tangy. This brew has a ton going on and I absolutely love it. I would stock a six pack of these at any chance that I had. However, the tanginess and sweetness makes this one a one-per-sitting type of affair.

3.49/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Old Chicago. Pours a soft amber color with a weird, olive-green tint to it - not heavy, but a little "sickly" looking. Translucent with a bit of haze in the middle. Head nearly nonexistent, except for a small, white ring around the edge of the beer, possibly due to the pour, however. Aroma definitely had some light grahama cracker, alongside toasted caramel from the malt. Lime? Yeah, it's there. Or, something is, rather. The aroma doesn't give off immediate sensors of "lime", but SOME kind of fruitiness that seems more flat and sweet instead of tart and vibrant. Zesty, but not exceedingly so.

The taste is.... strange, to say the least. Starts off with a bit of citrus flavor; lime and lemon - again, moreover it's just sweet and kind of "laid back", not at all tart or sour like lambics, wild ales, or some other fruit beers. Bread from the malt, as well as an even lighter presence of caramel, adds a bit to the sweetness. Lack of a bitter counterpoint can make this beer seem too sweet after a while, but my 12 oz pour was very manageable. After a while, the flavors grow, but they don't necessarily evolve. Sweet, light citrus finish with little hints of malt. Thin body with a heavy carbonation handle.

The first time I tried this beer, I wasn't exactly sold on it. But the more I drank it, the more I liked it. It's interesting, extremely unique, and very refreshing. Not my favorite Shorts brew by a country mile, but enjoyable nonetheless, especially when you feel like stepping out of the box just a bit.

3.88/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to RBlaszak for sending me this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. (I was hoping the beer would be green, oh well.)

The aroma is limes with some tartness. I also get some caramel and bready malt.

The flavor is very nice (but I am not sure if I am really tasting these components, or just imagining that I am after reading the label). The first taste I get is tart limes, but I also get some honey and bready malt - aka - graham crackers. I also get some creamy notes which taste about like marshmellows. The flavor has a nice mix of sweet and sour that I am really digging. After reading the label, I think I can pick out each of the components. If I hadn't read the label, I am not sure what the result would have been.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

One of the best Short's beers that I have tried. I love this brewery and hopefully I will get to try some more of their beers.

3.7/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours a hazy copper color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of moderately sweet crackers - half graham and half oyster. Also present are good amounts of indistinct and grainy light malts and slight amounts of artificially sweetened lime notes.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though not as well-integrated. Somewhat dry pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by sweet cracker flavors. Medium citrus flavors leaning toward lime but also with hints of grapefruit join in shortly thereafter before sweetening up midway through the sip, somewhat artificially. The citrus flavors fade out, allowing the cracker and malt flavors to carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall this was a very interesting beer that tried harder to emulate it's namesake than maybe it should have. The cracker flavors were the most off-putting and I think a more lime-forward beer would have been tastier. Still, despite the somewhat low score this beer is worth a shot to see for yourself.

3.31/5  rDev -3.5%

Reviewed 10/21

I had heard many good things about this beer, and although I'm not a fan of real Key Lime Pie, I felt it necessary to give it a try. The pour is a translucent medium brown color, with a thin, slightly creamy foam. You definitely get a nutty aroma right away. With a creamy, graham cracker taste up front, the beer finishes a little warm, with a slight, lasting lime taste at the end.

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Burnt amber with red hues. No head or lacing on this beer.

Smell - very sweet up front, perhaps from the marshmallow. lots of tropical fruit as well.

Taste - wow is this all over the place and I am not sure how much I like it. sweet and tropical, but then a burnt flavor to follow that is interesting.

Mouthfeel - that burnt flavor is interesting and stays in your mouth

Overall - they tried something new and it was fun to try.

3.7/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one I had to try again after having a very small sample in the 10/1/10 Toledo tasting. Thanks to a non-BA buddy up in MI, I was able to.

This one's sort of a hazy coppery orange in the glass. A spotty, thin white head forms with above-average retention, leaving thin spots of lacing on the glass.
Interestingly, there's not as much lime on the nose as in the flavor, and I've really got to pull to get some. It does smell like pie crust, though, and there's a nice sturdy malt backbone with what I assume is intentionally diacetyl aroma to add a buttery effect to the pie crust aroma. There's a bit of lactic sweetness as well (the marshmallow, perhaps?).
Here's where the lime kicks in, and when it does it pulls everything together. With a decent but not impressive malts presence and little hops to speak of, a hardcore beer critic might not be high on this one, but props definitely go to Short's for making this one what they intended. Lime is everything it should be: lightly acidic, tart, zesty and mildly sour, coupling with a milky, lactic, slightly sugary sweetness and a nice buttery graham-cracker crust. This is what key lime pie should taste like in a beer. It does get a bit too sweet at times, but it's accurate.
Carbonation is mild, but there's some life to this one. A medium body and moderate smoothness with a mix of sweet and sour in a mildly lingering finish make for a pretty nice mouthfeel. It could use a bit more life and gets a bit heavy.
Bravo to Short's. The temptation with many brewers would be to make a beer like this way too sweet, but that's avoided to the extreme here though it does rear its head. That and the heaviness take away a little from the drinkability, but I'll have another for sure.

3.87/5  rDev +12.8%

A- Amber in color, very little head retention, descent lacing

S-is of lime, sugar, and maybe just a hint of grand cracker

T- This is really, really different. Starts off with a strong bitter lime bite, but quickly turns to a sweet flavor of brown sugar and grand cracker. This one ends up crisp and clean, but with a slight citrus pucker feel.

M- Is light, very palatable and enjoyable.

D- A little too sweet and unique to drink more than one.

Notes: I had high expectations for this beer. Although it did not meet my expectations it did meet them. It almost taste like a red ale/american amber with lime and grand cracker thrown in. Very interesting and very unique. Glad I was able to try it.

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a dark golden tan with little to no head. Swirling creates some white bubbles with no lacing. Smell is almost a bit sour - limes, some malt, no hops. Taste follows smell, mostly lime, a bit of graham cracker, light malts. Medium body with light carbonation. This is a one time beer, not terribly drinkable, but interesting.

3.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Spruce aroma. Decent mouthfeel. Carbnation is there. Lime and spice, spruce and sugar in the taste.Marshmellow. Bottle from Steve in Warren. Somewhat green colour.A bottle proved to be too much to solo.Would like more real lime and less sweetness, bring it on.

3.12/5  rDev -9%

12 oz bottle into pint glass. 2011 bottling.

A: Pours a murky orange hue, with a thing white head, that dissipates very quick into a nonexistent presence. Floating pieces of marshmallow show it's present in the visual. Medium levels of carbonation.

S: Aroma is light in intensity, with a good level of spicy, lime like gram cracker. Hops seem to be at low levels showing other characters.

TM: Juicy on the the mouthfeel, with a spicy zing of lime. Very sweet on the finish. Malt show fullness in the body, but very beady and fades into a nice level of lime. Carbonation is at good levels and if full, but not dominating.

O: For the ingredients used, this does blend well and overall turn out drinkable and good. I did get the "what's in your beard? - Check- oh thats marshmallow from the key lime pie.."

3.99/5  rDev +16.3%

I've been fiending to review this one after I had about 10 samples of it at EBF. Finally able to get my hands on a bottle. Thanks to biernutz. 120z. bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Gentle pour yields a 1 finger coarse white head with poor retention. Beer is a clear orange-amber. Lacing is spotty and with little cling.

S: Super sweet. This one actually smells like Key Lime Pie. Amazing. Tart, creamy, and even a little bready!

T: Opens with a yeasty sweet and slightly tart lime that is unmistakable. Dissipates partially towards the middle and gives way to a distinct gingerbread flavor. Creamy. Lime returns towards the end and is slightly pleasantly boozy. Finishes sweet with a key lime aftertaste.

M: Light bodied and well carbonated. Lively and slightly watery in the mouth but this one smooths out as it warms up a bit. Finish is messy and aftertaste is sticky and lingers.

D: I'd give this one a 6 if I could. Like drinking key lime soda, only alcoholic. This is good at any time of the day and during any season of the year. A supremely sessionable beer and definitely one of Short's better creations.

4.56/5  rDev +32.9%

A: Amber color with hints of a bit of red. Nice off white head that left a little bit of lacing.

S: Some hints of lime with marshmellow and citrus acid.

T: It has a sweet yet sour tangy lime note. definitely some marshmellow notes, especially in the finish and some gram cracker sweetness. it definitely tastes just like key lime pie and I love it

M: It's light and not cloying sweet and there is no heat. it works well for the style

D: Yeah, i am very partial to this beer. its wuite refreshing but can also be a slow sipping dessert beer. I would love to have a ton of this around

2.59/5  rDev -24.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. The second of the crazy Short's beers I received from my MI hookup, Marc.

Appearance - I feared another overflow after having had the Strawberry Short's Cake yesterday. This one frothed quickly and violently, but never made it over the edge because the bubbles just vanished. What remained was a dark orange, murky beer with chunks of... I don't know what. I literally spooned off 4 or 5 large pieces of something gross. This is why these beers scare me.

Smell - I don't get a lot of lime out of the nose. I get peanuts again, inexplicably, and some sweetness that could be from the marshmallows (exactly what the hell are marshmallows doing in beer, anyway?).

Taste - Wow, the taste delivers the lime. The lime builds throughout the drink, culminating in a tart lime juice finish. Maybe I'm spoiled down here in Florida by delicious Key Lime Pie, but I think this misses the mark. It tastes like Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice more than key limes. The front end of the flavor is a mixture of slight sweetness and breadiness (graham crackers?).

Mouthfeel - Decently carbonated, despite its appearance. The flavors themselves detract from the drink, but the mouthfeel is ok. Drinkable, if it didn't taste this bad, I suppose.

Overall - I really don't like this. Innovative, sure, but definitely missing the mark.

4.05/5  rDev +18.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to splax23 for a couple of these in trade.

Pours a hazy copper, with a ½ finger of smooth white foamy head. This peters down fairly quickly but swirling gets some richness back up on the edges and still manages to leave some a cascade of spotty froth on the sides of the glass. The aroma is a bit muddled smelling. I'm definitely getting some tart lime, with hops and sugary sweetness all jumbled up together into a deep earthy tang. I mean, I can pick up the different flavors but some more definition to the nose would have been welcomed.

Luckily the taste is much more defined and pretty darn spot on for the flavors that are supposed to be at work here. The fruity tartness of the lime. The creamy milky sweetness of the marshmallows. And even the sugary dough of the graham crackers. It is all so tangy and delicious, with the lime flavor in particular hanging on the lips after each sip. There is just enough earthy bitterness present as well, which helps cut some of the more possibly cloying aspects of the sweetness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a touch lighter, with an even blend of prickly creaminess and easy slickness that helps keep this lively but smooth on the palate. There is just a touch of lingering warmth present as well but it doesn't distract from the flavors in the slightest.

I was initially worried about this, after hearing some early complaints about the bottles, but was very pleased with what I got out of this. This did taste like a piece of key lime pie in a glass and was pretty representative of what I tasted on draft at the Extreme Beer Fest last February. This is one Short's experiment that worked for me.

3.98/5  rDev +16%

2011 12 oz bottle

Poured into a glass with almost no head and a few floaties, I am not quite sure what they were but did not seem intimidating.

Smells pretty mild and creamy. It really has a subtle scent of key lime pie and graham crackers and yeast.

Tastes very limey at first then you get that creamy aftertaste. The lactose really comes through here and you can taste some molasses. Definitely better than I remember it tasting.

Feels very creamy and goes down incredibly smooth. I can't complain, it is very refreshing and drinkable.

Overall this is a mighty drinkable late summer/fall beer. I can't have too much of it but I am rather impressed. Better than the short's cake I will say that much.

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

Pour is a burnt umber, very nice clarity. A small, fizzy white head develops immediately but doesn't stick around. Light lacing. After a few minutes in the glass looks a bit lifeless.

It smells of a citrus lime zest, a sweetness that I think I can identify as marshmallow. Interesting, but not as complex or dramatic as I'd like.

Taste is pretty good. Citrus lime, marshmallow. It's quite sweet. A bit of the graham cracker comes through here. Interesting to say the least.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, little fizzy. I'd like more body to this beer - you call a beer Key Lime Pie, you'd maybe want it to be a bit more decadent.

Drinkability is high. This goes down easily. Despite the sweetness, the tart citrus component makes it pretty refreshing.

Good effort on a weird concept.

2.73/5  rDev -20.4%

I just don't get how anyone can look at this and give it a rating of "average" or better. It looks f'ing disgusting. Flat, murky, dingy brown-orange, no head, and chunks of graham crackers (from what I'm told)... I hope. If Short's reputation didn't precede them and I know what I was getting into I would take one look at this and pour it down the drain.

Thankfully, the smell is more pleasant. All the desired aspects of key lime pie are there... lime, graham crackers, and marshmallow, yet they don't necessarily tie together as key lime pie.

But the taste goes back to being not so good, borderline putrid. The lime is sour, but there's also a milky taste about it and when those two are combined it reminds me of sour milk. The graham crackers are sweet and the only saving grace because the aftertaste quickly turns to stomach bile.

Mouthfeel is flat and thick.

I was able to scrounge up a "3.0" for overall simply because of the "what the f*ck" factor. It's interesting and I'm shocked that these flavors can be infused in a beer, but I'm also shocked it would be intentional. Short's does have the ability to make some pretty good beers so they get a pass from me, but I can't handle this one.

3.21/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. capped bottle (No Date) into a snifter glass.

A moderate pour yields a 2-finger tan-colored head of large, soapy bubbles that energetically fizzle away in a matter of seconds, leaving very little dusting and no foam ring. The body is an opaque orange brown (not slime green as I had hoped) with a good amount of fast-rising carbonation bubbles and some small foreign particles (graham cracker floaties?) settling at the bottom of the glass. Almost no lacing can be seen throughout consumption.

Lemon and lime are at the forefront of the nose with burnt, bready malt in the background. Not very complex but strong and pleasant.

Citrusy and tart at first sip, this beer starts out tasting like alcoholic 7up. As the beer is held in the mouth, oily lemon begins stinging the tongue. As it is swallowed, the lemon lime flavors spread throughout the entire mouth as a graham cracker flavor becomes more noticeable. A lingering aftertaste of lemon lime sticks around between sips, much akin to 7up with some added acidity.

Light to medium bodied with explosive carbonation, this beer is like drinking soda. The body is smooth yet slightly sticky, allowing the flavors to really come out without being excessive. The carbonation fizzes away on your tongue, possibly hiding some of the flavor.

3.12/5  rDev -9%

08/09/11
Pours a cloudy brown with a bubbly soda like carbonation head that dissipates immediately leaving some sediment to float at the top. Nose is sweet caramel, graham cracker, sugary. Taste is strange, dominated by sweet graham cracker mostly, marshmallow appears briefly with only a hint of lime. Lager like yeast is apparent at the end and a bitter/sour note before it all ends abruptly with almost no aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied.
Overall, a very strange take on a beer. Not something I really enjoyed drinking or could stand too much off. Recommended as a single bottle for a try.

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%

Big thanks to Spica66 for multiple bottles of these guys! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured yellow-orange with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, lime, and slight graham cracker. The flavor was of sweet malt, lime, tart, slight graham cracker, and funk. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Glad I got to try it, but it was not what I was expecting/hoping for. Had a decent aroma and flavor, but neither were awe-inspiring. The funk on the followthrough was just a bit odd and kind of turned me off from this brew some. With that said, it is a must try at least to judge for yourself.

My second time having this beer, the first time had definitely begun to sour slightly, tasaty, but totally different from this experience. The color is a hazy straw, whispy quick head. Aromas of graham cracker and lime pie, definitely nailed the nose on this one. Flavor is as expected, although it leaves with a tangy bicuit malt flavor that I'm not crazy about, similar to the Shortscake. They did a great job of pinpointing flavors of the namesake, but I still wish it was bigger. Maybe an Imperial Key Lime Pie?

4.29/5  rDev +25.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle. A nice surprise that my guitarist picked up....thanks a million for this one Vince!

A- Pours a orange color with some light amber highlights. One finger white head shows pour retention and lacing falls back down into the beer itself.

S- I get the lime right off the bat. A little on the artifical side with a nice strong hint of the lactose they use. There in the background is the signature "Short's malt base" which only comes through in hints. The marshmallow comes through with a grahmcracker like aroma in the backend. Nothing is off putting like others have said. Maybe I got a good non-infected bottle?

T- Once again a creamy like lime comes through in the front although not as strong as in the aroma. The lactose gives it a light sour kick too it. Or maybe that might be the infection everyone was talking about? Either way it gives a nice dimension to the taste. The base malt comes in the for a second in the middle before getting covered up by the marshmallow. Light grahmcracker hint toward the back with another splash of sourness and the distinct "Short's malt base".

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was good for the style. Elements of Key Lime pie are left the palate with the same in the aftertaste with a hint of alcohol. The flavors for what they were were balanced nicely I thought. Light alcohol drying on the palate. Only off flavor might have been the sour notes but it actually went well with the overall feel of the beer. Creamy in the mouth at times as well from the lactose.

D- I thought this beer delivered to what it said it was going to. If you don't like Key Lime don't try this beer. My bottle might have had light infections to it but it still worked out well in its favor. I wish I could get my hands on this bottle again to try it out. I personally thought this beer was lovely and like the fact that Short's is doing its own thing and doing it nicely.

3.66/5  rDev +6.7%

A- light blonde look with medium head.

S- Smell of lime and hint graham crackers.

T- Taste of lime and sweet creme and graham crackers.

M- semi- dry and flavors lingering through out sip.

D- Pretty good beer.Dont really get the key lime taste but it's just me I guess. worth another drink.

Cheers...

3.78/5  rDev +10.2%

A huge thanks to both kzoobrew and erikkoppin for this great beer (both sent me this beer). Cheers!

Appearance - Pours into my Bell's Tulip with a hazy amber color. About a finger of quickly dissipating white head is achieved that leaves spotty lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Definite lime, bready notes (like graham cracker), and honestly marshmallow. That's about it.

Taste - An initial tartness from the lime shows through. This fades to what others have described, and I agree with, kind of a "cooked veggies" sort of flavor which I don't really think Short's was probably going for in this beer. This almost becomes unnoticeable the more the beer warms up and the more I drink it. At the tail end there is a nice sweetness that takes the edge off, and a graham cracker taste.

Mouthfeel - Moderate to light Mouthfeel, crisp carbonation. Feels perfect for this beer.

Drinkability - The more I drink this beer, the better I feel it becomes. I do feel that you couldn't just have a sip or two of this and judge it based upon that. Now that I am able to sit and relax outside enjoying a full 12oz of this it comes around. I will admit it is not my favorite offering from Short's, however, it is unique just like every other beer they make. Glad I was able to try this!

to view more.